Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

telling him to go upstairs then sitting on the couch giggling where he could obviously hear them and then calling him back down to play in less than a minute was so stupid and Jackson found out that he can be mean to Lilah, mom and dad giggle and he can play again in a minute.

My only disagreement - because there was much parenting fail - is that the rule of thumb for time outs is one minute for each year of a child's age. 

1 hour ago, DonnaMae said:

If Matt and Caryn had married, could they have kept it quiet?  She wears two rings on the middle finger of her left hand.  Are they an engagement ring and a wedding band?

I can totally see them doing that.  They are a mature couple -- in more ways than one.

• Love 9

I love how Caryn fixed up Matt's DW.  I think Matt admires her skills and I also noticed him say it was done in a 'timely' manner.  We all know what that meant.

I think Matt and Caryn compliment each other.  They get along and both are talented in their own ways.  Caryn does things Matt is not interested in doing and Matt does things Caryn has no thoughts on including money spent.  It's his to do as he pleases.

Chris and Amy on the other hand can't seem to agree on anything.  It's uncomfortable watching those two 'lovebirds' plan this wedding.

Like another poster said..run Chris.  Time's running out.

As for Jackson.  He's one of the leads in a reality show.  They have created this monster so now they deal with it!

1 hour ago, DonnaMae said:

If Matt and Caryn had married, could they have kept it quiet?  She wears two rings on the middle finger of her left hand.  Are they an engagement ring and a wedding band?

I thought that pages ago.  When she slipped during the talk and say my husband...

They are just letting Amy spin and look the fool.  That's Amy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

My only disagreement - because there was much parenting fail - is that the rule of thumb for time outs is one minute for each year of a child's age. 

So by your calculation he should have been sent upstairs for 4 minutes…. He was up there for 60 seconds and tori called him back.

that’s what I said… 60 seconds is not a time out and Jackson didn’t learn anything.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I agree - in which case he should have been in his timeout for 4 minutes. As he was four when this was recorded.  He is definitely old enough to be reasoned with, but knows he can get out of trouble by acting silly. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

So by your calculation he should have been sent upstairs for 4 minutes…. He was up there for 60 seconds and tori called him back.

that’s what I said… 60 seconds is not a time out and Jackson didn’t learn anything.

He couldn't even make it up all those stairs on his little legs in four minutes, could he?

4 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I don't think Chris is terrified of Amy at all. I do think he is hyper aware of the camera and doesn't want to drag out a fight because of the camera. He is obviously not a happy man.  What I see is someone continually biting his tongue and quite frankly looking at her with disgust when she starts with her attitude. I don't see him hanging around once the show is cancelled. I think he already has regrets but again will wait until the show is cancelled. 

Two grown adults in their 50's making a thing out of buying a tiny pet fish together? Just stop it. How embarassing. 

Z and T continue to laugh at everything he does. They can't keep doing that. Does Z ever discipline him or does he just sit there with his mouth hanging open? 

She had the interior painted a lighter color which look much better. Some nice new furniture in there, too. That's all I saw. 

I liked what she did but I was really hoping they’d do something with those hideous kitchen cabinets!

• Love 1
(edited)
21 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

Tori has posted at least one image of a negative pregnancy test and conspicuously failed to comment publicly on the other pregnancies.

I'll be honest, posting a pregnancy test is not what I would call drama queening. Staging a funeral for the baby miscarried or referring to the child by a given name how they're your angel child, wearing special jewelry that symbolizes your angel child, setting up a website dedicated to your angel child, hanging a christmas stocking up for the angel baby, refering to the next child as a rainbow child.... yeah that makes me think "drama".

Pretty sure Tory has acknowledged both Audrey and Izzy. Not excessively but she has. And there was no way she could not comment on the show since it was announced there. Again, if it continues on the show I'll be with you.

13 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

Yeah, the scene was cut so we really don't know how long the actual time out was. I agree completely that there was parenting fail but honestly I don't have any reason to think TLC ever tells the truth. 60 seconds on a black screen could mean anything from nothing to ten minutes. The scene was cut, so we'll never know. Point is, time out for toddlers is not a long time. I do think Jackson was three when this was filmed. Thats a minor quibble ;)

Edited by EllaWycliffe
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Chris and Amy on the other hand can't seem to agree on anything.  It's uncomfortable watching those two 'lovebirds' plan this wedding.

I don't believe 'they' are planning the wedding.  It's just Amy making all the decisions, and poor Chris is along for the ride.  I wonder if he will regret it.

• Love 7

I’m going with the TLC black screen that said 60 seconds because if Jackson had been given actual timeouts for several minutes I doubt he’d be the monster he is today.

I’ve  got 5 kids and I learned that with toddlers like Jackson you need to enforce the rules, no giggling and acting like a jackass

I’ve seen the same behaviour on other episodes and the same 60 second time outs And sometimes no time out at all.. they’ll look into his face tell him to stop then let go of him and he runs off and yells at them…. And they giggle.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

I’m going with the TLC black screen that said 60 seconds because if Jackson had been given actual timeouts for several minutes I doubt he’d be the monster he is today.

Oh I don't think anyone really disciplines Jackson, I just have absolutely no reason to trust TLC's editing. ;)

• Love 2

So that one leg on Jackson, boy it looks bad, like it would snap in half. 

I found it interesting Amy barking orders for a timeline from Chris, yet she never sticks to one herself.  I personally think the rock idea is stupid and cheap. Maybe some small wind chimes would be more practical. I could see a bunch of those rocks tossed along the drive down Roloff farm lane. 

Did Amy get permission to take her walk on the farm? I thought she said she wouldn't have a reason to go back there, unless it was for her TLC paid wedding.  

Speaking of houses, Matts kitchen cabinets need a redo, and Amy's kitchen cabinets look a hot mess painted that weird off white color or whatever, she made enough  money of the sale of her house to at least get decent appliances as well, they look old, especially since she hosts her licking fingers cooking series there.  

• Love 12

Go ahead. Doesn't change his actual age. He was born May 12, 2017. The miscarriage was prior to the doctor appointment on March 3, which means this scene was filmed between Valentines Day 2021, and March 3... he wasn't four. 

• Love 1
Just now, EllaWycliffe said:

Go ahead. Doesn't change his actual age. He was born May 12, 2017. The miscarriage was prior to the doctor appointment on March 3, which means this scene was filmed between Valentines Day 2021, and March 3... he wasn't four. 

I will go ahead, Jackson is 4!

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
17 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Speaking of houses, Matts kitchen cabinets need a redo, and Amy's kitchen cabinets look a hot mess painted that weird off white color or whatever, she made enough  money of the sale of her house to at least get decent appliances as well, they look old, especially since she hosts her licking fingers cooking series there.  

Her kitchen is underwhelming, bland and boring. Her cabinets look like a light coffee color to me. She has enough money she could have a gorgeous new kitchen put in with high end appliances. Oh, well, to each their own.  

Buy the way, guys, if you want to see one hot mess take a look at her Pasta Bolognese cooking video. You can catch it on Youtube.  It's a disaster. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
9 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Her kitchen is underwhelming, bland and boring. Her cabinets look like a light coffee color to me. She has enough money she could have a gorgeous new kitchen put in with high end appliances. Oh, well, to each their own.  

Buy the way, guys, if you want to see one hot mess take a look at her Pasta Bolognese cooking video. You can catch it on Youtube.  It's a disaster. 

Bulljanay sause ?  If you can't say it , don't make it.  She would totally get the Ann Burrell red marker of shame for cutting her food that way. 

Edited by Mahamid Frauded Me
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, seasons said:

I seriously just imagined that music from the wizard of oz when the wicked witch comes along as Amy was walking along with Felix. Her energy is just so negative to me, even coming across the tv. That's her, not just editing imo.

She reminds me of Almira Gulch... 

Cranky old Amy and her basket of rocks

amygulch.gif

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
(edited)

its good to know that we cant trust TLC's editing so the next time they make it look like Matt is being an ass.... EDITING

It kinda goes all around ;)

I was specifically referring to a scene where there was a blatant cut in scene but we can go there, if you want.  Every time they make ANYONE look like they're being an ass, EDITING :D

Edited by EllaWycliffe
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I was specifically referring to a scene where there was a blatant cut in scene but we can go there, if you want.  Every time they make ANYONE look like they're being an ass, EDITING :D

I already said I believe their editing… you don’t 🤷‍♀️

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I was specifically referring to a scene where there was a blatant cut in scene but we can go there, if you want. 

its your rule not mine

like others in this forum I happen to believe tlc and their editing 

• Love 4

What am I missing?  What did Jackson do that was so awful he needed stricter discipline? He wasn't throwing temper tantrums, he was jumping around, swinging toys and he grazed his sister.  That will be one of many times a brother and sister have those moments.  He seemed happy, bouncing around and sat on his sister...lol.  That seems like a normal fun thing for a child just out of diapers. Hardly an unusual event for a toddler.  He has a sweet soul, he seems like a perfectly normal little guy.   What's he supposed to do?  Sit around with a sour puss face and complain about everything?  Have fun little guy!   Zach and Tori can save the discipline for real bad behavior.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, watcherwoman said:

What am I missing?  What did Jackson do that was so awful he needed stricter discipline? He wasn't throwing temper tantrums, he was jumping around, swinging toys and he grazed his sister.  That will be one of many times a brother and sister have those moments.  He seemed happy, bouncing around and sat on his sister...lol.  That seems like a normal fun thing for a child just out of diapers. Hardly an unusual event for a toddler.  He has a sweet soul, he seems like a perfectly normal little guy.   What's he supposed to do?  Sit around with a sour puss face and complain about everything?  Have fun little guy!   Zach and Tori can save the discipline for real bad behavior.  

This is something that Zach and Tori have been struggling with for a while, they’ve spoken about it on IG…. Jackson is jealous of Lilah and accidentally on purpose finds ways to hit her, slap her, shove her, knock her over, flail about and kick her and then act like “oops!”

that’s why Tori mentioned that she’s had a protective bubble around Lilah and is constantly shielding her…. Because when Jackson gets jealous he finds ways to hurt her.

that’s not me saying it, it’s Zach and Tori saying it and they’ve been dealing with it for a while and because Lilah has been so little and fragile they had to protect her because Jackson has been getting more and more boisterous.

They only showed a very mild form of Jacksons jealousy and acting up on the show probably so he wouldn’t look too bad but in reality Zach and Tori have posted short videos of him knocking Lilah over, kicking her as he flails around, throwing toys around that hit Lilah, one time Jackson was so rough that Zach got very angry with him.

Edited by Joan of Argh
Clarity
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10

Good lord....

As much as I dislike Amy, I dislike Chris more.   No way I could live with with that guy. Geez  "It has to be done on this day.....I don't want that becoming a storage place, I don't like the shape of these rocks",     bla blah blah.  Go live alone if you want your perfect, neat, untouched, uncozy house, and want stuff done on a certain day and not a minute later.   🙄 Omg....so cringey and I didn't blame Amy for getting pissed.   

Also, I'm sooooooo glad I live alone!! 😁🎉

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Tori was a kindergarten or first grade teacher, right? Probably not for too long though, maybe a few years, before she left when she had Jackson. I taught special ed in a public school for nearly 20 years before I had to retire early for health reasons. I can imagine / speculate what kind of young teacher Tori was based on how she disciplines Jackson. Too loose, no consistency, laughing and giggling, etc. Even toddlers figure out how to outsmart parents and teachers like that. You could often tell what kind of classroom these young teachers were running just by walking by the room and sensing the loose vibe. We veteran teachers also noticed that the young teachers coming in so often demonstrated a sense of entitlement, even though they were just starting and had so much to learn. Had no idea that at almost any job, you are at the bottom of the totem pole until you work your way up and prove yourself. I get a sense that T fits right into that mindset. Sure, some veteran teachers were too set in their ways and wouldn't let it be a two way street, that we could all learn from each other. 

T& Z almost seem to be just playing house in their immaturity in more ways than one.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10

Why can't Chris just tell Amy that he will wash the rocks in his own way and time frame, and that if she wants her way used, then she can wash them herself? What is so hard about that? Doesn't have to be said in a mean way either.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, winsomeone said:

Why can't Chris just tell Amy that he will wash the rocks in his own way and time frame, and that if she wants her way used, then she can wash them herself? What is so hard about that? Doesn't have to be said in a mean way either.

That's basically what he did, at which point Amy pouted, gave him the silent treatment, said "fine," and threw herself a pity party.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, suev3333 said:

Good lord....

As much as I dislike Amy, I dislike Chris more.   No way I could live with with that guy. Geez  "It has to be done on this day.....I don't want that becoming a storage place, I don't like the shape of these rocks",     bla blah blah.  Go live alone if you want your perfect, neat, untouched, uncozy house, and want stuff done on a certain day and not a minute later.   🙄 Omg....so cringey and I didn't blame Amy for getting pissed.   

Also, I'm sooooooo glad I live alone!! 😁🎉

Years ago I moved in with my boyfriend, we had been dating for about 2 years. I moved into his house, with his stuff. He cleared a small area in the closet for my cloths, we would leave for work around the same time, he used the primary bathroom and I used the hall bathroom. He had to OK anything I wanted to hang or put out to make it feel a little more like I had some of my personal touches there. Prior to that, I lived alone for 15 years. I never felt I was "home" or it was mine. I lasted 6 months, we broke up (other reasons involved as well) moved into a smaller 1 bedroom ( as I had sold stuff prior to moving in) a year later I brought my OWN home, got a dog and was so happy. I could put a fucking lamp where I wanted, hang shit on the wall where I wanted and paint what I wanted. My dad always said there is a difference of being alone or being lonely.

• Love 18
8 hours ago, zenme said:

Fuck her. Let her wash the rocks.

And paint them, apparently Larry and Curly have to come over and paint the hearts too, she is not even doing them all herself lovingly with her own hands.  What bullshit.  She is just laughable!  

I watched the show this week with a friend who had not watched it in years.  Two comments were made “OMG, why don’t they get that kids legs fixed” and “who the hell would marry Amy”.   

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

This is something that Zach and Tori have been struggling with for a while, they’ve spoken about it on IG…. Jackson is jealous of Lilah and accidentally on purpose finds ways to hit her, slap her, shove her, knock her over, flail about and kick her and then act like “oops!”

that’s why Tori mentioned that she’s had a protective bubble around Lilah and is constantly shielding her…. Because when Jackson gets jealous he finds ways to hurt her.

that’s not me saying it, it’s Zach and Tori saying it and they’ve been dealing with it for a while and because Lilah has been so little and fragile they had to protect her because Jackson has been getting more and more boisterous.

They only showed a very mild form of Jacksons jealousy and acting up on the show probably so he wouldn’t look too bad but in reality Zach and Tori have posted short videos of him knocking Lilah over, kicking her as he flails around, throwing toys around that hit Lilah, one time Jackson was so rough that Zach got very angry with him.

Yea,  I doubt Tori thinks for one minute her followers think she is really complaining that her son is mentally off and showing extreme jealousy towards his baby sister.  I'm pretty sure she thinks Jackson is displaying normal behavior and he's just too cute.  I'm sure she hopes her followers are smart enough to know she isn't complaining, she's sharing cute stories, about normal toddler behavior.   Looks to me that Lilah doesn't have any battle wounds from her mistreatment from her brother.    Lol, I can just see Tori going on social media and actually telling people Jackson is not acting like a normal little boy.  Not really, I think she's way smarter than that!

• Love 2
On 7/23/2021 at 9:32 PM, zenme said:

My husband and I just came from AZ and loved that it's a dry heat.  So much more tolerable than our hot and humid days here.

It's not "dry" heat in Phoenix...I lived there for a four months from June -September and it was every bit as humid as Virginia is right now (where I live). Coupled with temps well into the 100's it was awful.

On 7/27/2021 at 10:47 PM, Calibabydolly said:

After they were walking away from the rock pile at the landscape place....they show the EMPTY bucket, after they clearly showed them tossing many they selected from that pile in there??? Chris was carrying it and I thought it must not have many in there since he was holding it like it was light and then he swings it into camera view. It was just a pile of large river rock and they were still better than the "potato shaped" ones Amy ordered. They found some nice flat and heart shaped ones. What a bunch of staged crap! Amy all dirty from the pile...and Chris wiping her off....oh how cute!?

There is no way he will live in her messy disorganized home. I cannot see it at all!!!

I think the downstairs of her house looks fine...it seems clean and neat. Maybe the upstairs is a mess? Just sayin'.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Jackson was really 3 almost 4 when the episode was filmed? He isn't a toddler any more.  From his behavior I was guessing he was two.  An almost four year old is too old for the shenanigans he was pulling especially if it's been going on for awhile.  I don't watch Tori's IG regularly enough to know.   If he was truly closing in on four, they need to do better soon especially if they want to add another child. 

• Love 9
20 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I don’t think there’s a “wrong” way to react to a miscarriage. There may be some outside help needed in some cases, but still, not wrong.

My daughter recently suffered a miscarriage. It was really rough on her and she took it hard. We talked on the phone about it and fortunately she has a great husband who helped pull her through the tough time. My only regret is that I couldn't be there to hug her and make some soup for her...we live on opposite ends of the country. She's doing well now and is ready to try again. Luckily she didn't have to relive this on television in front of millions of people.  

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Jackson was really 3 almost 4 when the episode was filmed? He isn't a toddler any more.  From his behavior I was guessing he was two.  An almost four year old is too old for the shenanigans he was pulling especially if it's been going on for awhile.  I don't watch Tori's IG regularly enough to know.   If he was truly closing in on four, they need to do better soon especially if they want to add another child. 

Tori and Zach are very immature. They're always giggling and downplaying Jackson's behavior. If they truly want a well behaved child then get the hell off TV! Jackson is just playing to the room...he knows he can get away with being sassy and mean to his sister...all he has to do is something that Mommy and Daddy will laugh at and all is forgiven. I know they love the $$$ they get from this show and it affords them the ability not to have to hold down steady jobs but it may come at a cost in a few years when Jackson's "so cute" little comments and acting outs aren't so funny or cute.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, all4mom2 said:

I don't know about "smarter," but she seems to be able to live in denial about a whole lot of things.

Possibly.  She wouldn't be the first parent to be in denial.  Look at Caryn...her kid has had more legal problems and he came after her physically.    Hopefully Jackson won't show the same tendencies as Caryn's kids.   But, I'd be careful asking Caryn to babysit with her track record.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4