Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

(edited)

I see Chris has a new edit this season. He's upset Zach, Tori and kids are moving 45 minutes away. Since when has he become such a family man with kids  and grands around all the time. I thought he loved his quite life living alone. Now he's all in. Ok, Chris. 

I like what Caryn said about the difference in her family and Matts. In her dysfuntional family they fight alot but get over it quickly. In Matt's they fight and it drags on and on and on.....

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 11
11 hours ago, BellyLaughter said:

The disintegration of this family is like a car accident...you know you probably shouldn't look but you can't help yourself.  

I guess TLC is counting on it...

I would agree because I FF through the commercials with my remote;

HOWEVER, I couldn't BELIEVE the length of time I was pushing the FF because of the # of commercial breaks and the # of commercials in each one that seemed ENDLESS.....it was like 25 mins of show "content" and 35 mins of ADS....so, YES, the more "dysfunction" and "conflict" they can draw out of the Roloff's (and kin) the BETTER from the producers (and the paticipants) point of view.  It's all about the $$$$$$.

• Love 7
38 minutes ago, Teriacky said:

If every family is dysfunctional how is a “functional” family determined?

Well there are degrees but what I meant is none is perfect.  On the extreme end you have substance abuse and cheating and in the middle you have helicopter parenting and on the mild end you have things like too strict or too lenient parenting.

45 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

I thought there was a new season of this show on again?  I got Pt 1 and Pt 2 of the friggin’ wedding last night.  I saw nothing of Zach and fam with Matt and Caryn?  My dvr is set to record new and reruns but got nothing I hadn’t seen before.  I watch on TLC not Discovery which I don’t get.

The new episode did air on TLC last night and my DVR recorded it.  So you may have a DVR issue.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I see Chris has a new edit this season. He's upset Zach, Tori and kids are moving 45 minutes away. Since when has he become such a family man with kids  and grands around all the time. I thought he loved his quite life living alone. Now he's all in. Ok, Chris. 

I like what Caryn said about the difference in her family and Matts. In her dysfuntional family they fight alot but get over it quickly. In Matt's they fight and it drags on and on and on.....

It’s kinda weird that a stepfather of adult children who didn’t raise them would think he would have a say in their life choices.

• Love 6
(edited)

Why is Zack's 45 minute distance an issue?

How far away do the other siblings/cousins live?

The farm is not the center of the universe.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 9
42 minutes ago, preeya said:

Why is Zack's 45 minute distance an issue?

How far away do the other siblings/cousins live?

The farm is not the center of the universe.

Molly’s the smartest, she lives in Spokane, Washington a 6 hr drive away from her nutty family.

1 hour ago, MrBuhBye said:

It’s kinda weird that a stepfather of adult children who didn’t raise them would think he would have a say in their life choices.

I thought it was hilarious how Chris sat there whining about the kids moving away while Amy just sat there shoving more and more food in her  mouth and looking like a dunce. 🥴

B8FB674A-C37A-484C-875A-FDF0F3A444B1.jpeg

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Exactly, Chris used to complain about the noise and commotion of the kids and grandkids and now he's moping and whining about them moving away, I think TLC wants Chris to be the new good guy who wants to be surrounded by kids and grandkids and Matt is Satan

If Chris and Amy wanted the kids on the farm so bad they could have stepped up and helped Zach and Tori buy the place but NOPE.... *crickets*... they don't want them around bad enough to put their money where their mouth is.

Chris suggesting they spend Valentines Day with Matt and Caryn is whole other level of creepy, there's something wrong with that guy... blech!

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I hope they work it out for the grandkids. Imo, grandparents are so important to kids. Their love and attention can enrich a child’s like enormously.   

Grandparents who are mentally healthy and generally more normal are great for grandchildren.  Narcissistic alcoholics who demean other people especially their other relatives perhaps not so much.  I was married to a Matt type who died before the grandchildren were born.  I'm not at all sure how much contact my kids would have allowed him had he lived.  I would have had to agree with them.  

• Love 6

Zach and Tori are  jerks.  Did they move just to get a reaction out of Matt?  They were so disappointed and mad that Matt didn't get hysterical that they are going to Washington.  Maybe they thought he would beg them to stay and give them the property.  Also Tori sucks because her grandmother moved to Oregon a short time ago to be near her and now she is leaving.  Selfish entitled little girl.   Zach is taking orders from her, he will loose his whole family.    

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
2 minutes ago, Endora said:

Zach and Tori are  jerks.  Did they move just to get a reaction out of Matt?  They were so disappointed and mad that Matt didn't get hysterical that they are going to Washington.  Maybe they thought he would beg them to stay and give them the property.  Also Tori sucks because her grandmother moved to Oregon a short time ago to be near her and now she is leaving.  Selfish entitled little girl.   Zach is taking orders from her, he will loose his whole family.    

I agree and if Zach and Tori really wanted to be free of Matt and Caryn they could do what Jer, Auj, Molly and Jacob did,,, leave the show and go make new lives for themselves free of evil Matt and his drama.... "put their money where their mouth is"

Zach and Tori have absolutely no way of supporting themselves and their exceptionally nice lifestyle for such a young couple other than being on daddy Matt's reality show.

So they sit there bitching and moaning like the ungrateful, entitled brats that they are.

I wish they'd leave the show, their segments are boring, same old stuff about Lilah and Jackson while Zach sits there like a bump on a log looking grumpy or making sex jokes about humping like rabbits all summer... I've seen and heard enough of that! 🤮

• LOL 6
  • Love 13
15 minutes ago, Dustbunny said:

I agree and if Zach and Tori really wanted to be free of Matt and Caryn they could do what Jer, Auj, Molly and Jacob did,,, leave the show and go make new lives for themselves free of evil Matt and his drama.... "put their money where their mouth is"

Zach and Tori have absolutely no way of supporting themselves and their exceptionally nice lifestyle for such a young couple other than being on daddy Matt's reality show.

So they sit there bitching and moaning like the ungrateful, entitled brats that they are.

I wish they'd leave the show, their segments are boring, same old stuff about Lilah and Jackson while Zach sits there like a bump on a log looking grumpy or making sex jokes about humping like rabbits all summer... I've seen and heard enough of that! 🤮

ya I didn't need that visual in my brain!

Do they think they're the new "IT" couple in hollywood or something?

My wife rolled her eyes and wanted Zach to ZIP his mouth when he started up AGAIN about screwing like rabbits, it seems to be something he's really interested in sharing because this is easily the 4th or 5th time he's gone on about his prowess in the bedroom and Tori sits there giggling and trying to look sexy cute but she just looks like an old frump.

They add nothing to the show, wish they'd pack up their shit and leave.

Chris has totally surrendered his "MAN" card (if he ever had one) and now he's a sappy loser who's either crying like a little bitch at the wedding or whining about AMY'S kids moving 45 minutes away, Dude needs to grow a set!

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Munchkin said:

ya I didn't need that visual in my brain!

Do they think they're the new "IT" couple in hollywood or something?

My wife rolled her eyes and wanted Zach to ZIP his mouth when he started up AGAIN about screwing like rabbits, it seems to be something he's really interested in sharing because this is easily the 4th or 5th time he's gone on about his prowess in the bedroom and Tori sits there giggling and trying to look sexy cute but she just looks like an old frump.

They add nothing to the show, wish they'd pack up their shit and leave.

Chris has totally surrendered his "MAN" card (if he ever had one) and now he's a sappy loser who's either crying like a little bitch at the wedding or whining about AMY'S kids moving 45 minutes away, Dude needs to grow a set!

It wasn't surrendered, it was REVOKED  😋

mancard.jpg

Edited by Dustbunny
autocorrect
  • LOL 10

Delurking to say wow Matt spent a trip with Caryn trying to access the farm security cameras to spy on Amy's wedding, thats odd and sad both at the same time. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Endora said:

Zach, who used his child to break the news, questioned Matt's reaction like he expected Matt to start ranting and raving about them moving. He obviously didn't get the over the top theatrics he was craving. Given Zach also tried to use his kids as bargaining chips, I have no doubts Zach and Tori expected to be handed the farm at pennies on the dollar. 

1 hour ago, Dustbunny said:

Zach and Tori better hope like hell TLC keeps churning this crap out, because they really don't have a back up plan or way to support themselves. Tori's degree isn't going to pay the mortgage alone if she needed to use it and Zach's lazier than hell and he really has no marketable skills to support a dog, let alone a family.

• Love 16

Yes, the Roloffs are imploding.

My two cents:

Matt doesn't need to give Zach a family deal at the expense of other kids.  I'm sure Zach was hoping to pay what Amy was paid out at for her half of the north side--~$975K (although worth ~$1.95MM) for the whole north side.  It sounds like Matt countered with something that was more about owning the house and not the business. It doesn't surprise me Zach wanted the grandpa discount.

I also believe it is appropriate for Matt's life partner Caryn to be in the meeting.

I am not team Matt or team Zach.  I think they're both motivated by greed and fame.  We aren't required to support our children in their adulthood.

I saw four as#$%les on my screen.  But Zach was by far the worst.  He took the kids away  from both sets of grandparents and bought a property for ~$1MM with a fraction of the acreage, just 2 acres instead of 15.

Sounds like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
(edited)

And for what's it is worth, I live in Portland.  If their property is assessed at $1.9MM (Northside) it can be worth much more.  Not sure if it is worth $4MM, but we are talking good money.

Zach was being selfish and entitled in this episode.  And I should expect it.

My modest Portland home is assessed at $850K but I could easily sell it for $1.2MM (what Zillow says and a neighbor recently sold a house half the size of mine for $1MM) I get approached by realtors all the time looking to put in a week of work and collecting $30-60K for the listing/sale.  They've even come to the door to ask if I would consider selling!

If Chris is still selling he should be making bank right now.

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Endora said:

Why, exactly, did they move so far? Was it for a job or to be near her family? IMO most people who just want a bigger house tend to stay within the same general area. To move so far that your kids have to change schools and your work commute is even farther seems like an odd idea.

• Useful 2
5 minutes ago, YupItsMe said:

Why, exactly, did they move so far? Was it for a job or to be near her family? IMO most people who just want a bigger house tend to stay within the same general area. To move so far that your kids have to change schools and your work commute is even farther seems like an odd idea.

because they're selfish, spoiled children, they wanted to stick out their tongues and thumb their noses at Matt and Caryn.

Even though it means Jackson having to start at a new school where he'll be the new kid and where they've admitted that they have no friends.

I used to like Zach and Tori but their antics have turned me against them, they don't appreciate how easy their life is and how a large amount of that is due to Matt securing a show for the family, the other kids have moved on but Zach and Tori have NOTHING else going on and Zach is a lazy slug who wouldn't even clean his own garage for a pregnant wife.

Once the gravy train of the show ends they better have a good nest egg to fall back on financially otherwise they'll be in big trouble.... or maybe Amy can come to their rescue and bail them out.. ya right. 🙄

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
14 hours ago, Dustbunny said:

Even though it means Jackson having to start at a new school where he'll be the new kid and where they've admitted that they have no friends.

Don’t worry about him, he will walk in on the first day like he owns the place!

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

Don’t worry about him, he will walk in on the first day like he owns the place!

Maybe. But the chances of that happening in the real world, and him being accepted, are slim to none. He's going to have to learn how to cope with the challenges of being "different"and being laughed at.

Unless his brilliant parents are just going to home school all of their kids. Kids are mean and not just of another child's looks. They'll laugh,point and stare if some kid is wearing a shirt they don't like. 

But keep f'n like bunnies Zach and Tori, instead of spending a little more time on being more responsible parents and think about your future for your kids when the Roloff gravy train dries up. 

Ugly and dumb = Z&T. 

• Love 8

My grandson has an LP boy in his kindergarten class. He never mentions anything about the boy’s stature or his (slightly) bowed legs. Our grandson lives with us so we regularly hear him talk about kids in school, how his day went, etc.

I would imagine as Jackson gets older, particularly middle school age, he will encounter more teasing and bullying, but at this age it’s likely minimal.

I don’t see a big deal that Zach and Tori are moving 45 min. away from the grandparents at all. They all have vehicles and driver’s licenses. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

Maybe. But the chances of that happening in the real world, and him being accepted, are slim to none. He's going to have to learn how to cope with the challenges of being "different"and being laughed at.

Unless his brilliant parents are just going to home school all of their kids. Kids are mean and not just of another child's looks. They'll laugh,point and stare if some kid is wearing a shirt they don't like. 

But keep f'n like bunnies Zach and Tori, instead of spending a little more time on being more responsible parents and think about your future for your kids when the Roloff gravy train dries up. 

Ugly and dumb = Z&T. 

Tori is going to keep having kids until she has the average size child she wants.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Part of Matt's thoughts going into negotiations with Zach might have been that he also has to be fair to Jeremy, who's offer was turned down.   Unless Zach's offer was much better then J&A's Matt needed to be careful.   Also, IMO J&A handled the rejection much better then Z&T.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Adiba said:

My grandson has an LP boy in his kindergarten class. He never mentions anything about the boy’s stature or his (slightly) bowed legs. Our grandson lives with us so we regularly hear him talk about kids in school, how his day went, etc.

I would imagine as Jackson gets older, particularly middle school age, he will encounter more teasing and bullying, but at this age it’s likely minimal.

I don’t see a big deal that Zach and Tori are moving 45 min. away from the grandparents at all. They all have vehicles and driver’s licenses. 

All the kids in kindergarten are little people so Jackson probably looks normal to his peers. But you're right, as Jackson gets older and the other kids are growing at a normal rate, he's going to be in for a difficult time. Hopefully this $hit show will be a distant memory by then and all of the  Z&T offspring  bunnies can lead a somewhat normal life with their  money grubbing, exploiting parents.

Aside from Molly, I can't stand any of the Roloffs. Although she's only a Roloff thru marriage, I am not ready to dislike Auj 100%. That woman definitely knows how to Multi-hustle. Having a loser husband is a great motivator!

• Love 8
On 5/18/2022 at 9:09 PM, YupItsMe said:

They said they couldn't afford acreage where they lived.

• Useful 1
On 5/18/2022 at 1:16 PM, Dustbunny said:

If Chris and Amy wanted the kids on the farm so bad they could have stepped up and helped Zach and Tori buy the place but NOPE.... *crickets*... they don't want them around bad enough to put their money where their mouth is.

Exactly… No way will old skinflint, Scrooge Amy dig in her pocket to give anyone anything other than LINT… and she’d probably charge them for it.

She’s way too cheap to help her kids buy anything!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, readheaded said:

They said they couldn't afford acreage where they lived.

I missed that part.  So, if they couldn’t afford ANY properties in their whole town, this really makes me think Zach wanted a HUGE discount from Matt. I also think Amy would have been bashing Matt a lot more, if he was totally railroading Zach.   Zach and Tori trying to put a dollar amount on their kids being on the farm was weird, if that’s the case, Jeremy’s and Jacob’s kids need checks every time they visit and since Molly doesn’t have kids, she deserves a check when she visits the farm.  Zach was mad at Matt’s non-reaction, but if Matt did get upset Zach and Tori probably would have been bitching he was emotionally scarring Jackson and Lilah by getting emotional. 

I think in the long run, it’s better they didn’t buy the property anyway because Matt despite what he says would be nosying around to figure out what they were doing on the farm.  Just like he was doing on the wedding day, unless he was having secret meetings with MY MAN, he should have gone one day without peeking at the farm.

Exactly how far away is Battleground from their old town? Zach and Tori kept talking about 45 mins, but Chris was saying, “45 minutes ….maybe in the middle of night.”  Honestly, I think Chris was upset about them moving because he probably thought he’d get more time on the farm if they lived there.  He seems enamored with the place. 

I really didn’t care if Caryn was there because I don’t think anybody changes Matt’s mind about the farm, but Matt. I also don’t think parents owe their of age children any kind of inheritance, especially since all these people are probably already millionaires.

Zach whining about living somewhere new only being hard for him and not his wife and kids because he’s never been anywhere was so pathetic, then them writing off Tori’s family moving there for them as if it weren’t a big deal was extra snotty of both of them.  He’s moving out of spite then bitching he doesn’t have his babysitting squad 🙄

• Love 14
On 5/18/2022 at 8:40 PM, Fostersmom said:

Zach, who used his child to break the news, questioned Matt's reaction like he expected Matt to start ranting and raving about them moving.

Stoic behavior..

His children will never beat him in a chess match....

Amy did what she should have done.  She stayed out of the whole process.  The farm issues now are between the kids and Matt and as she said she needs to support them.  

I'm glad the purchase didn't go through.  Matt would have been all over Zach all the time on what "needed to be done" according to the word of Matt.  Matt wasn't in the least recognizing that if he sold the property to Zach, then it would be Zach's and Tori's to do with as they pleased.  

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Amy did what she should have done.  She stayed out of the whole process.  The farm issues now are between the kids and Matt and as she said she needs to support them.  

I'm glad the purchase didn't go through.  Matt would have been all over Zach all the time on what "needed to be done" according to the word of Matt.  Matt wasn't in the least recognizing that if he sold the property to Zach, then it would be Zach's and Tori's to do with as they pleased.  

Matt is a workaholic (most likely to avoid dealing with personal issues and any introspection) and Zach is super lazy (because he was coddled growing up) so they will never see eye to eye. 

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

I missed that part.  So, if they couldn’t afford ANY properties in their whole town, this really makes me think Zach wanted a HUGE discount from Matt. I also think Amy would have been bashing Matt a lot more, if he was totally railroading Zach.   Zach and Tori trying to put a dollar amount on their kids being on the farm was weird, if that’s the case, Jeremy’s and Jacob’s kids need checks every time they visit and since Molly doesn’t have kids, she deserves a check when she visits the farm.  Zach was mad at Matt’s non-reaction, but if Matt did get upset Zach and Tori probably would have been bitching he was emotionally scarring Jackson and Lilah by getting emotional. 

I think in the long run, it’s better they didn’t buy the property anyway because Matt despite what he says would be nosying around to figure out what they were doing on the farm.  Just like he was doing on the wedding day, unless he w

Exactly how far away is Battleground from their old town? Zach and Tori kept talking about 45 mins, but Chris was saying, “45 minutes ….maybe in the middle of night.”  Honestly, I think Chris was upset about them moving because he probably thought he’d get more time on the farm if they lived there.  He seems enamored with the place. 

Around 35-40 miles. Quite a bit of it is freeway or major highways, too. The problem is, where they live, to get there you have to drive through stretches of what I think is hands down the worst traffic in Oregon. They used to live in the Western suburbs of Portland, more north of where I live, and I live in the South East suburbs. My daughter used to have  softball hitting lessons that were in the general vicinity of where they lived, but not quite as far out, and I always chose to take her early Sunday mornings, because if I took her on a weekday, it would always be at LEAST an hour both directions of driving, if I was lucky, and unless I went earlier or later in the day on the weekends, there would always be enough traffic to make it a much longer drive. I've always wanted to live on their side of town, because it has a lot more going on, but traffic always changes my mind. And it's not like we don't have our traffic issues over here.

• Useful 4
1 hour ago, MrBuhBye said:

Matt is a workaholic (most likely to avoid dealing with personal issues and any introspection) and Zach is super lazy (because he was coddled growing up) so they will never see eye to eye. 

I agree Matt is a workaholic and Amy sits on her front porch swilling drinks like an alcoholic 🍸

at least the drinking explains some of the recipes and all the finger licking and other gross habits, she’s probably high as a kite.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

I agree Matt is a workaholic and Amy sits on her front porch swilling drinks like an alcoholic 🍸

at least the drinking explains some of the recipes and all the finger licking and other gross habits, she’s probably high as a kite.

She does seem buzzed a lot.  Maybe because she matches people drink for drink when she is half the weight.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Exactly… No way will old skinflint, Scrooge Amy dig in her pocket to give anyone anything other than LINT… and she’d probably charge them for it.

She’s way too cheap to help her kids buy anything!

ya well.. with Amy it's par for the course

WEASEL2.jpg

• LOL 5
On 5/18/2022 at 12:45 PM, bichonblitz said:

But Caryns family isn't making any money....Matt's is!   So there's that!

• LOL 8

Don't worry about Zack and Tori moving. They're quite mobile.  Isn't this their third house in five years!

Those two need to pick themselves up and be more interesting.  Sitting on a curb watching kids bicycle is boring.

I watch a couple of you tube ladies and their quite interesting about their duties.  Trying a new recipe, decorating, grocery shopping.  And Zack needs to do something.  Anything.  He's really looking stupid sitting on that curb.

If he doesn't need to work, thank you Matt, he could pursue a hobby or build a sandbox for the kids...anything!

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

Don't worry about Zack and Tori moving. They're quite mobile.  Isn't this their third house in five years!

Those two need to pick themselves up and be more interesting.  Sitting on a curb watching kids bicycle is boring.

I watch a couple of you tube ladies and their quite interesting about their duties.  Trying a new recipe, decorating, grocery shopping.  And Zack needs to do something.  Anything.  He's really looking stupid sitting on that curb.

If he doesn't need to work, thank you Matt, he could pursue a hobby or build a sandbox for the kids...anything!

A while back it looked like Zach built a sandbox for the kids, it was quite large and didn’t appear to have a lid which is a bad idea because cats and other animals poop in them if there’s no lid (maybe he built a lid later on but I didn’t see one)

then there’s always Zach driving the tractor with Jackson standing in the bucket which is another stupid and dangerous idea.

I’m sure TLC will have plenty of stupid Zach moments this season.

• Love 13
32 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

A while back it looked like Zach built a sandbox for the kids, it was quite large and didn’t appear to have a lid which is a bad idea because cats and other animals poop in them if there’s no lid (maybe he built a lid later on but I didn’t see one)

then there’s always Zach driving the tractor with Jackson standing in the bucket which is another stupid and dangerous idea.

I’m sure TLC will have plenty of stupid Zach moments this season.

Wasn’t Matt building a huge sandbox with bulldozers etc.?  Two fewer grandkids to play in that now.

15 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Wasn’t Matt building a huge sandbox with bulldozers etc.?  Two fewer grandkids to play in that now.

I know he dug a pit to bury a time capsule but I can’t recall if it was also a sandbox, sounds like a good idea though.

• Love 1
On 5/18/2022 at 1:45 PM, bichonblitz said:

In the episode he said that he wasn't used to being around little kids but now that he's used to it, he'll miss them. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 5/18/2022 at 3:20 PM, Joan of Argh said:

Molly’s the smartest, she lives in Spokane, Washington a 6 hr drive away from her nutty family.

I thought it was hilarious how Chris sat there whining about the kids moving away while Amy just sat there shoving more and more food in her  mouth and looking like a dunce. 🥴

B8FB674A-C37A-484C-875A-FDF0F3A444B1.jpeg

I wonder if Chris is upset because Amy won’t say anything to Zach and Tori, but she’ll complain to him about it when they’re off camera. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/18/2022 at 1:45 PM, bichonblitz said:

I see Chris has a new edit this season. He's upset Zach, Tori and kids are moving 45 minutes away. Since when has he become such a family man with kids  and grands around all the time. I thought he loved his quite life living alone. Now he's all in. Ok, Chris. <snip>

It's not at all unusual for someone who's never had certain life experiences common to most people, to think they don't need to have those experiences to be happy; they're content with their life as it is.

Then, if the opportunity arises for them to have those experiences, oftentimes they not only enjoy them but begin to depend upon them when they realize they fill a void they never even knew they had.

On 5/18/2022 at 2:08 PM, MrBuhBye said:

On 5/18/2022 at 3:20 PM, Joan of Argh said:

<snip>.I thought it was hilarious how Chris sat there whining about the kids moving away while Amy just sat there shoving more and more food in her  mouth and looking like a dunce. <snip>

On 5/18/2022 at 4:16 PM, Dustbunny said:

Exactly, Chris used to complain about the noise and commotion of the kids and grandkids and now he's moping and whining about them moving away, I think TLC wants Chris to be the new good guy who wants to be surrounded by kids and grandkids and Matt is Satan

S23/E1 The Roloff Crazy Train - is that the episode you're discussing?

Here's the transcript of the discussion of Tori, Zach, and family's move between Chris, Zach, and Tori right after they reveal their plans:

Chris: You guys are really moving all the way out to Battle Ground?

Why? Why would you want to move so far away from us?

Seriously, with all the...I mean, even all your [Tori's] family's here. Why Battle Ground? That's so far away.

Tori: I think 45 minutes is like a healthy...

Chris: 45 minutes in the middle of the night..

Chris TH: Having never really had any kids of my own, never had the chance to experience that kind of a family connection. You know, I want to do a lot more of that, so I'm hoping that we still get together with Zach and Tori and their kids as much as possible.

Chris: What was the motivating factor [for the move]? 

Zach: Farm didn't work out. We weren't going to sit here and mope about it. We're not playing that game.

Tori: Plan B. What are we doing next. And this is our Plan B.

Chris: So what are the advantages? What are the plusses?

Tori: The property's fantastic. Brand new house.

Zach: Brand new 2018 house. Everything is one story except for the bonus room above the garage.

Chris: So if all goes well, when does this close?

Tori: We take keys on the 11th.

I'm confused because I can find nothing in that exchange which I can interpret as Chris "having a say in [Tori and Zach's] life choices", unless you think asking someone questions about why they're doing something - a friend, perhaps - is likewise "having a say in their life choices" instead of just being interested in learning why they made the decision they did. 

At no point did Chris say "You shouldn't do that" or "We don't want you to move; we want you to stay here" or anything remotely resembling trying to pressure them into changing their minds.

When Chris said "45 minutes in the middle of the night..." I couldn't quite figure out where he was going with that, and then it dawned on me. If one of their kids had a medical emergency in the middle of the night, with so many family members close by it would be easy to either drop off the other kid at a family member's house on the way to the hospital, or have a family member meet them at the hospital to pick up the other child.

Or, if there was a medical emergency with Matt or Amy - let's say Matt had a heart attack - yeah, 45 minutes can seem like an eternity when you're trying to get to the bedside of someone who may not make it through the night.

So I think that's what flashed through Chris' mind in that moment - and it made me wonder if he'd had that experience with a loved one at some point. Often when people say things that seem unrelated to the discussion, without explanation, it's because it was triggered by a sudden recollection of a painful memory.

Also, at no point in that conversation was Chris "whining". (I've raised a child. I know what whining is). 

The timbre of his voice remained the same; he did not raise his voice. 

Was he caught by surprise at their announcement? Sure thing. But being caught by surprise by an announcement of a major life change in people you care about and then proceeding to ask questions about that change doesn't equate to "whining". Or "moping". 

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 8
(edited)
On 5/18/2022 at 10:45 AM, bichonblitz said:

I see Chris has a new edit this season. He's upset Zach, Tori and kids are moving 45 minutes away. Since when has he become such a family man with kids and grands around all the time. I thought he loved his quite life living alone. Now he's all in. Ok, Chris. 

Since TLC started filling his pockets with cash.

I guess whiny, mopey stepdad is his new role on the show.

Edited by Joan of Argh
Autocorrect
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

"When Chris said "45 minutes in the middle of the night..." I couldn't quite figure out where he was going with that..."

I think Chris was referring to the fact that there is little traffic in the middle of the night.  During the day, the trip would possibly take much more than 45 minutes due to heavy traffic at times.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
Just now, TerryeW1 said:

"When Chris said "45 minutes in the middle of the night..." I couldn't quite figure out where he was going with that..."

I think Chris was referring to the fact that there is little traffic in the middle of the night.  During the day, the trip would possibly take much more than 45 minutes due to heavy traffic at times.

That’s the way I took it as well 

On 5/20/2022 at 11:39 AM, estellasmum said:

Around 35-40 miles. Quite a bit of it is freeway or major highways, too. The problem is, where they live, to get there you have to drive through stretches of what I think is hands down the worst traffic in Oregon. They used to live in the Western suburbs of Portland, more north of where I live, and I live in the South East suburbs. My daughter used to have  softball hitting lessons that were in the general vicinity of where they lived, but not quite as far out, and I always chose to take her early Sunday mornings, because if I took her on a weekday, it would always be at LEAST an hour both directions of driving, if I was lucky, and unless I went earlier or later in the day on the weekends, there would always be enough traffic to make it a much longer drive. I've always wanted to live on their side of town, because it has a lot more going on, but traffic always changes my mind. And it's not like we don't have our traffic issues over here.

And this post explained how bad the traffic is during the day.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

It's not at all unusual for someone who's never had certain life experiences common to most people, to think they don't need to have those experiences to be happy; they're content with their life as it is.

Then, if the opportunity arises for them to have those experiences, oftentimes they not only enjoy them but begin to depend upon them when they realize they fill a void they never even knew they had.

S23/E1 The Roloff Crazy Train - is that the episode you're discussing?

Here's the transcript of the discussion of Tori, Zach, and family's move between Chris, Zach, and Tori right after they reveal their plans:

Chris: You guys are really moving all the way out to Battle Ground?

Why? Why would you want to move so far away from us?

Seriously, with all the...I mean, even all your [Tori's] family's here. Why Battle Ground? That's so far away.

Tori: I think 45 minutes is like a healthy...

Chris: 45 minutes in the middle of the night..

Chris TH: Having never really had any kids of my own, never had the chance to experience that kind of a family connection. You know, I want to do a lot more of that, so I'm hoping that we still get together with Zach and Tori and their kids as much as possible.

Chris: What was the motivating factor [for the move]? 

Zach: Farm didn't work out. We weren't going to sit here and mope about it. We're not playing that game.

Tori: Plan B. What are we doing next. And this is our Plan B.

Chris: So what are the advantages? What are the plusses?

Tori: The property's fantastic. Brand new house.

Zach: Brand new 2018 house. Everything is one story except for the bonus room above the garage.

Chris: So if all goes well, when does this close?

Tori: We take keys on the 11th.

I'm confused because I can find nothing in that exchange which I can interpret as Chris "having a say in [Tori and Zach's] life choices", unless you think asking someone questions about why they're doing something - a friend, perhaps - is likewise "having a say in their life choices" instead of just being interested in learning why they made the decision they did. 

At no point did Chris say "You shouldn't do that" or "We don't want you to move; we want you to stay here" or anything remotely resembling trying to pressure them into changing their minds.

When Chris said "45 minutes in the middle of the night..." I couldn't quite figure out where he was going with that, and then it dawned on me. If one of their kids had a medical emergency in the middle of the night, with so many family members close by it would be easy to either drop off the other kid at a family member's house on the way to the hospital, or have a family member meet them at the hospital to pick up the other child.

Or, if there was a medical emergency with Matt or Amy - let's say Matt had a heart attack - yeah, 45 minutes can seem like an eternity when you're trying to get to the bedside of someone who may not make it through the night.

So I think that's what flashed through Chris' mind in that moment - and it made me wonder if he'd had that experience with a loved one at some point. Often when people say things that seem unrelated to the discussion, without explanation, it's because it was triggered by a sudden recollection of a painful memory.

Also, at no point in that conversation was Chris "whining". (I've raised a child. I know what whining is). 

The timbre of his voice remained the same; he did not raise his voice. 

Was he caught by surprise at their announcement? Sure thing. But being caught by surprise by an announcement of a major life change in people you care about and then proceeding to ask questions about that change doesn't equate to "whining". Or "moping". 

I dunno I thought the way it was phrased was a loaded question like a yenta laying a guilt trip.  YMMV.

• Love 1