Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

10 minutes ago, teebax said:

In my experience, this board is kind when we know the contestants who are going to be on or that they're related to one of us.

None of us knew MrAtoz or his real identity until he posted here this morning, so we did not know anything about the person who won yesterday's game other than what the show told us. Yet no one here had anything negative to say about him. And that IS saying something! A rare instance indeed. Of course, since he had been reading here he was aware he should not mime actions during his intro, dance or weave, raise the buzzer above his head ala Statue of Liberty, sway or lean on the podium, make grimacing faces, look smug or wear anything cut too low and revealing. We should take credit for his flawless performance!

• Love 20

I haven’t watched in weeks and weeks (baseball season!) so maybe it was my eyes deceiving me because I surely did not see a picture of ELVIS FREAKING PRESLEY in the DJ round of an adult game?

• Love 20
8 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Yup.  Star Trek and library reference all in one!  It seemed like a good name for me.

Well, damn. I assumed it was a Jason Mraz reference. I swear I had a CD of his back in the day with that title, and you did well in the music category, so....

Just now, mojoween said:

I haven’t watched in weeks and weeks (baseball season!) so maybe it was my eyes deceiving me because I surely did not see a picture of ELVIS FREAKING PRESLEY in the DJ round of an adult game?

I mentioned that in my post as well. It's getting ridiculous.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Of course, since he had been reading here he was aware he should not mime actions during his intro, dance or weave, raise the buzzer above his head ala Statue of Liberty, sway or lean on the podium, make grimacing faces, look smug or wear anything cut too low and revealing. We should take credit for his flawless performance!

Or start in the middles of categories.

Congrats again, Scott!  I ran through Shakespeare's tragedies in my head, but ran out of time before I got to Romeo and Juliet.  I should have known it immediately, but alas. 

I was able to get chile/chili (I've never heard of curre or curri, Kat!), hypertension, Russia, Ghostbusters, and Siberia.  And, like the rest of you, was astounded by their showing a photo of Elvis. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I'm Scott from last night's game. 

Welcome!

However, lol, I don't appreciate you making me sweat out the Jeopardy! round tonight.  I was getting a little worried. Thankfully, you pulled it out in the end.

4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

We should take credit for his flawless performance!

Works for me!  ;-)

Tonight I got hypertension and FJ (even though I groaned when the category was revealed).

• Love 8

Don't want to take away attention from winner Scott (I'll bring this around to him momentarily), but I went to Franks Imdb page to try to figure out the show the women in the coffee shop hated. Frank has credits on 35 different shows, so maybe Scott has some inside information?

• Love 10
1 minute ago, lb60 said:

However, lol, I don't appreciate you making me sweat out the Jeopardy! round tonight.  I was getting a little worried. Thankfully, you pulled it out in the end.

Yeah, no kidding. So glad you were not a One And Done. Instead you are a Two And Through. And again, you did nothing for us to pick on or nag about. Therefore, I'm ready for you to lose tomorrow. *wink nod cough wink gypsy reverse curse*

We only got one Good For You Drink, but I'm happy to take it.

I was all WTH Trebek with his asking about The Music Man during interviews. And his snark about scores made me tell him to STFU through my teevee screen. At least Scott made a decent total with his FJ bet so we don't have to listen to Trebek harp about that, the amount met with his approval. That is not an easy task.

And yeah, Elvis. That was a real WTH moment.

Meanwhile, I'm keeping with my FJ streak of not having a clue. Yeay for me! *DRINK!*

• Love 7
(edited)
14 minutes ago, opus said:

Don't want to take away attention from winner Scott (I'll bring this around to him momentarily), but I went to Franks Imdb page to try to figure out the show the women in the coffee shop hated. Frank has credits on 35 different shows, so maybe Scott has some inside information?

I looked  him up, too, and I figure the "hated" show has to be Paw Patrol. It's probably the biggest name show on his filmography and there are definitely a lot of toys associated with it.

I got hypertension, Ghostbusters, chili and FJ. Romeo and Juliet was the only tragedy that I could think of that starts with a sonnet. Plus the whole "two households, both alike in dignity" bit is pretty famous. Some of the other plays start with  monologues, mostly the histories. Hamlet does have a famous opening line - "Who's there?" but it's definitely not a sonnet!

Welcome Scott, great work tonight, coming back from a deficit with a big win! 

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 8
(edited)

To quote from one of my favorite movies, Back to the Future: "Great Scott!"  Congrats for a fantastic comeback. :) 

I was puzzled by what Alex Trebek said while discussing your FJ response. He said that even if you hadn't answered correctly, you'd still have the most money.  You bet to protect against Kat going all in and Alex should have presumed that was the case. Had you been wrong, Frank would have won. I'm not sure what he meant. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 7

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!  Frank did tell us what show he was talking about, but I'm embarrassed to say that I don't remember it.  I didn't recognize the name, but several of the other contestants did.  I gather it's a well-known show, so "Paw Patrol" may be right.

I knew this one was a come from behind win, but I had forgotten just how far behind I was in the first round!  Frank and Kat were both good players, and fast on the signalling device.

As far as "Vacation" goes, I would have gladly added the "National Lampoon's..." part if Alex had asked me to! :-)

• Love 12

Congrats Scott / @MrAtoz!  Great come from behind win and impressive $$$$ amount.  You made me nervous in the J round.  Frank and Kat were good contestants, too.  All around, a pleasant game.

An Elvis freaking Presley picture.  *facepalm*

I only got chili/chile and hypertension.

FJ was an instaget.  I've got you beat @secnarf.  I memorized that in the 9th grade in 1969, so it's been 49 years.  However, I can't tell you what I had for breakfast yesterday, so there's that.

• Love 12

Congratulations Scott! I am among those who were very nervous in the Jeopardy round but your comeback was amazing.  

I will politely join with Kimmmmmm that the bridge and city are Mac-in-awe while the fort is Mac-in-ack. But way to go follow Midwesterner.

• Love 9

Muncie, previously best known as the home of Ball State University, alma matar to David Letterman. 

But I think Scott supersedes in that in importance.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Congrats, Scott...wishing you well!  However, as a Michigander, I am strongly compelled to tell you, for future reference, we pronounce it Mack-in-awe ;-)

I'm a Buckeye :)  but, I too, was confused by his pronunciation of "Mac a Nac"  Other than that, good job by a fellow poster!

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!  Frank did tell us what show he was talking about, but I'm embarrassed to say that I don't remember it.  I didn't recognize the name, but several of the other contestants did.  I gather it's a well-known show, so "Paw Patrol" may be right.

Ah, so is Children's Television your weakness?

Not offense, Scott, but I don't think you have any quirks to mock.

I knew this one was a come from behind win, but I had forgotten just how far behind I was in the first round!  

When were your [first] shows taped?

I guess the only TS I got Ghostbusters. Instead of hypertension, I said high blood pressure. I'm not sure that would have been accepted since the H stood for hypertension in the acronym. For FJ I said King Lear. Romeo and Juliet didn't even occur to me. :(

Has Susan Lucci had 8 husbands? I had to check. No, she hasn't. I have a problem with how the clue was written: "With 8 husbands yet to come, in 1970 she began a 41-year run as Erica Kane on 'All My Children'." I guess the writers could just be being cute, but the phrase "With 8 husbands..." goes with "she," not Erica Kane.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Has Susan Lucci had 8 husbands? I had to check. No, she hasn't. I have a problem with how the clue was written: "With 8 husbands yet to come, in 1970 she began a 41-year run as Erica Kane on 'All My Children'." I guess the writers could just be being cute, but the phrase "With 8 husbands..." goes with "she," not Erica Kane.

I missed the poorly written reference, all I could think of was "41 years in the same job...blechh."

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I missed the poorly written reference, all I could think of was "41 years in the same job...blechh."

Plus she was nominated for an Emmy almost every year since 1978. After being stiffed 19 times, she finally won. That could be a J! clue.

• Love 3
(edited)
31 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Plus she was nominated for an Emmy almost every year since 1978. After being stiffed 19 times, she finally won. That could be a J! clue.

I was just looking at all the Lucci clues, and it's come up more than once. How many marriages did today's clue say the character had? There was a clue in 2011 (her final year on AMC) that said 12.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 3

I have been consumed with the World Cup so I spent this evening binging on a week of games and about 10 pages of this board :-)

So getting back into the swing of things... for TS I got chili/chile (I thought that Kitchen Confusion category was a lot of fun), hypertension, and Russia. I had no clue on FJ and wild guessed Richard III.

A picture clue of Elvis is just too ridiculous for words.

I'm glad Kate didn't win.

• Love 4
(edited)
52 minutes ago, dcalley said:

How many marriages did today's clue say the character had?

The clue said husbands and had it at 8. She has had married the same man more than once so both could be accurate but I stopped watching when I was 12.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

The clue said husbands and had it at 8. She has had married the same man more than once so both could be accurate ....

Ha, I should have known!

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 1

TS I got were hypertension, Russia, Siberia. FJ was an instaget.

<pic of Elvis> who's this? SMH. I did notice that Kat gave his first & last names, unlike the last time Elvis was a response, and the contestant simply responded Elvis & was judged correct. 

17 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I hope it's not inappropriate for me to drop in here.  I'm Scott from last night's game.  I've actually lurked here for quite awhile, long before I was ever scheduled to actually be on the show, but I've never commented before.  Thanks for all the kind words, and for not being too harsh on any annoying quirks I might have had. :-)

Yeah, Coleridge was English.  That was one of my more embarrassing moments!

So glad you posted! Congrats on your success so far. Like others have said, you have not shown any annoying quirks, because if you had, you would have read about it here. No worries on STC - I can just imagine what I would have answered under the pressure of Jeopardy, as opposed to the recliner in my living room :-) We started rooting for you because you have the same name as my hubby, & are happy you have done so well. 

6 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Does Scott want to join the orchestra???

I was going to ask the same thing! I think we should make it a requirement of all J! champs. 

• Love 6

I was concerned for last night’s game when the first clue wanted a five letter word and Kate said “wash,” which was bad, but then Alex hesitated like he was going to accept it, which would have blown my mind.

Fluff and fold is an antiquated phrase anyways and I’m still a little unclear what fluffing is, in regards to dirty laundry.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I was concerned for last night’s game when the first clue wanted a five letter word and Kate said “wash,” which was bad, but then Alex hesitated like he was going to accept it, which would have blown my mind.

Fluff and fold is an antiquated phrase anyways and I’m still a little unclear what fluffing is, in regards to dirty laundry.

Not only did that clue specify a five-letter word, it specified a five-letter word that starts with F.  Wash was incorrect on many levels, and Alex shouldn’t have hesitated.

• Love 12

Congratulations Mr Atoz. Glad you weren’t a one and done. As the Food coordinator for our orchestra I  just wanted to let you know that food and drink are a nice perk to being in the band. I got chili, hypertension, Russia, Siberia and FJ. 

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I played trombone when I was in middle school, so if you need more in the brass section of the orchestra, maybe I can sit in. :-)

2 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

Can I be a groupie of the band? I play many instruments but I feel my talents would be best used fangirling over you all!!

All are welcome, MrAtoz and 17wheatthins, in any capacity you see fit.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Not only did that clue specify a five-letter word, it specified a five-letter word that starts with F.  Wash was incorrect on many levels, and Alex shouldn’t have hesitated.

I saw the category and thought "Hey, that should have been my proposed 'What the F'" category. Maybe next time.

42 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

Can I be a groupie of the band? I play many instruments but I feel my talents would be best used fangirling over you all!!

Every band worth its salt has groupies!

• Love 12

That Luke and Laura question was in yesterday's Jeopardy Desk Calendar!  My coworker has one so I go and see if I know the answer every day.

Damn it, stupid, stupid me. I should have known the answer to FJ last night.  I LOVE the prologue to R&J. 

• Love 4

I can't stand Scott!! He's so annoying, standing there in his shirt and tie! So irritating!!

Hope you have a long run, MrAtoz. Despite the fact that you've never done The Music Man! What was that all about?? Just Alex being precious, as usual. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

It occurs to me that Alex might not have known the right pronunciation either, otherwise he surely would have corrected me!

True this. Or given it a French accent.

3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I played trombone when I was in middle school, so if you need more in the brass section of the orchestra, maybe I can sit in. :-)

Our band can always use more brass. Oh ... you mean trombone. Well, that too.

UPDATE: Our Reigning Jeopardy Champ Scott is the most popular PTV poster ever. His "reveal" post now has 46 likes, a number I've not seen anywhere on any boards here. MrAtoz, you win the Internet today ... and all month.

• Love 5

Remember when a picture of Robert Redford was a TS? So yeah, that's where we are probably headed with Elvis. And get off my lawn!

Congrats to MrAtoz. I will root for you even though you mispronounced Mackinac. That's an understandable one, especially if you are not from the western Great Lakes region or haven't been on the bridge. 

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

I can't stand Scott!! He's so annoying, standing there in his shirt and tie! So irritating!!

So funny!

6 hours ago, mojoween said:

In my mind, it's what you do to the clothes when they come out of the dryer, before you fold them. But being me, I could be (probably am) wrong.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, dcalley said:

I was just looking at all the Lucci clues, and it's come up more than once. How many marriages did today's clue say the character had? 

Actually, the way the clue was written, Susan Lucci apparently had 8 husbands, which of course she didn't.

2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

All are welcome, MrAtoz and 17wheatthins, in any capacity you see fit.

Heck, even hecklers are welcome!

• Love 5

Lately I've been fast forwarding through the contestant interviews so I missed that Scott is a fellow librarian.  Perhaps we(us?) librarians can form the triangle section of the orchestra, led, of course, by Ed Grimley.  

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Perhaps we(us?) librarians can form the triangle section of the orchestra, led, of course, by Ed Grimley.  

So much this! I LOVE Ed Grimley. Plus he has some mad dance skillz, so as the lead Alber Camoo dancer (the only one I think), I will copy his choreography. We'll knock 'em dead at our debut.

1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

Hope you have a long run, MrAtoz. Despite the fact that you've never done The Music Man! What was that all about?? Just Alex being precious, as usual. 

Yes, inquiring minds want to know. What's up with Trebek's Music Man obsession?

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

So much this! I LOVE Ed Grimley. Plus he has some mad dance skillz, so as the lead Alber Camoo dancer (the only one I think), I will copy his choreography. We'll knock 'em dead at our debut.

Perfect!

• Love 3
(edited)
29 minutes ago, saber5055 said:
1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

I'm assuming that Alex has heard about the Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Orchestra featuring the Good For You Rhythm Section and the Women Authors Singers. With the No Boo Hiss Players and the Alber Camoo Dancers and thinks we are something similar to the band Harold Hill created. Little does he know how awesome we truly are.

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Love 8
16 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I'm assuming that Alex has heard about the Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Orchestra featuring the Good For You Rhythm Section and the Women Authors Singers. With the No Boo Hiss Players and the Alber Camoo Dancers and thinks we are something similar to the band Harold Hill created. Little does he know how awesome we truly are.

Good answer! Good answer! *applause*

Wait ... wrong game show. Sorry.

• Love 10
59 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Maybe because our champ is from Muncie, IN and there's a song in The Music Man about Gary, IN? Other than that, I got nothing....

• Love 7
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

But being me, I could be (probably am) wrong.

We really need to work on your self-esteem.  

You're Good Enough, You're Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like You!

:-)

I'm sitting here with no cable, and it sure as hell better be back on by 7pm.

• Love 12
27 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Well, the Mackinac controversy continues!  The Detroit Free Press has taken me to task over my pronunciation.  I may never live this one down.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/06/29/jeopardy-mackinac-pronunciation/745928002/

Yes I wondered about that when you said it.  I only know it because my college roommate was from Michigan and he has mentioned it several times over the years. 

Glad you won again.  Always rooting for fellow Hoosiers on the show, like Alex roots for his fellow Canadians. 

17 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Any publicity is good publicity, MrAtoz.    I hope you won enough money to buy the darn bridge (or the Detroit Free Press.)

I think $100 bucks and a bag of chips will buy you most print newspapers these days, so may very well happen

1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Maybe because our champ is from Muncie, IN and there's a song in The Music Man about Gary, IN? Other than that, I got nothing....

That must have been it.  I wondered why he asked that as well. 

• Love 1