Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

The category was B.G.  I'm glad the judges ruled against just Button.  All answers should have to have had first and last names.  I got FJ! right away, but when will I ever learn the difference between Dante's Inferno and Paradise Lost?  I blew that DD but glad Osman got it.  I can't believe the British Museum was a TS.   I knew netsuke but couldn't pronounce it.

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 6
(edited)
16 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I knew netsuke but couldn't pronounce it.

That was the only ts I got but, apparently, I've been mispronouncing it all these years.

Instaget FJ. 

Edited by Trey
  • Love 5

I’ve always said “laissez” as “lah-zay” but Alex said ““lezzay.” 

Which is not a problem, unlike “Heeawatha”, which was an affront to my ears.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I’ve always said “laissez” as “lah-zay” but Alex said ““lezzay.” 

Which is not a problem, unlike “Heeawatha”, which was an affront to my ears.

Alex was right on that - it's definitely LEZ-ay. I've also heard lay-zay, but lah-zay is right out. It's always the problem with words that you've only read, rather than heard someone say (assuming that person says it correctly).

Heeawatha definitely gets a big NO. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, DrScottie said:

That reminds of a couple of things: 3 is the number for the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Also, in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Cause and Effect" Data received a message of 3 from the previous time loop telling him to follow Commander Riker's correct suggestion as had 3 pips on his collar. The number 3 had kept popping up throughout that loop as a result of that transmission. 

And there's the simpler Holy Trinity of the Catholic (and some other) church(es). And the bad luck "three on a match" (meaning the sniper had time to draw a bead on you and your buddies in the foxhole by the time the third cigarette was lit). Plus, as we all know now, three is more than a couple, it's a "few." So he won by A Few Dollars More.

• Love 6

I actually got FJ today (!) and Fashion is not my long suit.  The initials L.V. - wasn't hard to guess.

If I had been in Jan's position, I would have bet $0 in FJ and rolled into a win.  But I guess it is easy to say that when I am sitting at home on my couch.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Roaster said:

The initials L.V. - wasn't hard to guess.

Apparently it was, since all 3 contestants missed it!!! I thought it was an insta-get---"55, Roman numerals" should lead you to LV immediately, which should lead you to Louis Vitton!    I also feel that the contestant should have gotten a BMS (or been ruled incorrect) for merely answering "Samoa". Isn't the name "American Samoa"? True "American" (in quotes) was part of the clue, but that's never stopped them before.

• Love 8

On FJ, I think they all got the Roman numeral 5 = V and wrote down the first designer they thought of that started with a V. I'm blaming Ryan Murphy for putting Versace back on people's radar.

• Love 7

Dammit Osman. Every time I like a champ they end up a one and done. 

I had Alexandra the Great, extradition as a surprising TS, obstruction of justice DD, and FJ in an instaget. I couldn't believe they all missed FJ. 

Geoff made a mistake I often make on clues in misunderstanding three letters as opposed to three words. I thought I was the only one who does that. It happens to me a lot when playing along. 

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

Louis Vuitton was an instaget for me. I was astonished  no one got it. 

Same. Especially since Versace's first name famously starts with a G...which is not a Roman numeral. I'm very surprised that was a TS and I know almost nothing about fashion.

• Love 9

I was so dizzy from watching Geoffff squirming and rocking that I could barely follow the last part of the show.  I'm usually tolerant of quirks and fidgets, but he drove me bonkers.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, SHD said:

On FJ, I think they all got the Roman numeral 5 = V and wrote down the first designer they thought of that started with a V. I'm blaming Ryan Murphy for putting Versace back on people's radar.

I was kind of on that track. I read 55 as 5-5, therefore VV, and tried to come up with someone with those initials. Since I wasn't sure of Versace's first name I went with that.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

Definitely. Once you had LV, I thought it was obvious. Plus the LV logo on bags, etc. is really pretty common. I also got gullet, the Chieftains, and the missed DD of obstruction of justice. Sorry Osman lost.

• Love 11

I misunderstood the clue for FJ and still got it! I thought they meant that 55 was on the products because it was the designer's initials in Roman numerals. However, once I translated 55 to Roman numerals, it was an instaget. Was shocked that they all missed it.

• Love 9

Even though Geoff was a swayer, I was rooting for him as he's from my neck of the woods.  Plus, Osman inexplicably started choosing clues in the middle of categories.

I got extradition, obstruction of justice (DD), gullet, the Chieftains, and schooner.

FJ was an instaget and I'm no fashionista.

• Love 9

Ugh!  The annoying swayer won.  Why must this show torture me?

I thought FJ was super easy.  Well, after I thought VV (55) doesn't make sense. Then I thought of Super Bowl LII. Which got me to LV. Which got me to Louis Vuitton.  Like I said.  Super easy!  

#FlyEaglesFly 

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Even though Geoff was a swayer, I was rooting for him as he's from my neck of the woods.  Plus, Osman inexplicably started choosing clues in the middle of categories.

I got extradition, obstruction of justice (DD), gullet, the Chieftains, and schooner.

FJ was an instaget and I'm no fashionista.

I think Osman was going for higher value questions because he was pretty far behind.  I never mind when a player does that, as opposed to board-hoppers looking for jackpots.

• Love 4

I was rooting for anyone except Geoff to win -- I just wanted him to stand still for a second!  He even was rocking during his interview (which he started with, "yeah, so").  Ugh.

FJ wasn't exactly an instaget -- it took me a few seconds to remember that 50 = L in Roman numerals.  Once I figured that out, it was super duper easy.  Although I'm not sure I could have spelled Vuitton correctly under pressure. 

I only got extradition and obstruction of justice, and was surprised that the contestants missed those.  I should have gotten The Chieftains, but completely blanked on their name.

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Ugh!  The annoying swayer won.  Why must this show torture me?

I thought FJ was super easy.  Well, after I thought VV (55) doesn't make sense. Then I thought of Super Bowl LII. Which got me to LV. Which got me to Louis Vuitton.  Like I said.  Super easy!  

#FlyEaglesFly 

Indeed! 

• Love 3

I was surprised that Osman fizzled today after his spectacular performance yesterday; I thought he was ToC material for sure. I don't dislike Geoff as much as some here, though I hope someone will talk to him about his swaying. He reminds me a bit of Daniel Craig.

Also surprised (pleasantly) that FJ turned out to be more about Latin than clothing!

• Love 5

I didn't get any TSs, only the DD of schooner. I almost got Sergio Mendes -- I picked up on the '66' hint, but couldn't remember the last name. I got Sergio... Leone?

Now I'm kicking myself on FJ. For a second I thought about Louis Vuitton, but for some reason I didn't think there were watches. I wasn't even thinking about 55 and roman numerals. Anyway, I said Gucci.

I also couldn't come up with obstruction of justice. The way the clue was written I knew it had something to do with Trump.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, teebax said:

Geoff made a mistake I often make on clues in misunderstanding three letters as opposed to three words. I thought I was the only one who does that. It happens to me a lot when playing along. 

That happens to me, too! In this case, I got it straight fast enough to come up with obstruction of justice in time, but I often don't.

I was really surprised no one got gullet.

• Love 4
(edited)
16 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I almost got Sergio Mendes -- I picked up on the '66' hint, but couldn't remember the last name. I got Sergio... Leone?

I remembered Brazil 66 but screamed out, "Herb Alpert!"

ETA - I guess I'm not as crazy as I thought.  The album I remembered was Herb Alpert Presents Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I had never heard of the Chieftains. Perhaps before my time as Trebek would like to say. Got the others. 

59 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Although I'm not sure I could have spelled Vuitton correctly under pressure. 

Yeah, I would have probably written Louis Vitton. 

• Love 2
On 4/30/2018 at 6:50 PM, Kathira said:

I got banzai, but not netsuke. The FJ was one of those where I got it so quickly, I started second guessing myself. But who else could it have been? Lovecraft, maybe, but he wasn't a contemporary of Whitman. So I stuck with Poe.

I talked myself out of netsuke, given that most of the ones I've seen weren't appropriate for prime time tv. (you might want to be careful about Googling)

I got Poe easily enough - it never occurred to me to think of nationality, but the description of the work fit Poe precisely.

3 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

My husband and I both got jumbled up with our Roman Numerals (it's been a long day), so we never there. If we had, we'd have gotten it.

• Love 5
(edited)

Great game & I liked all 3 contestants. I didn't notice Geoff's swaying, but he looks just like an intern who worked for me several summers ago, and he spells his name like my dad does, so maybe I was distracted by that.

TS I got were Alexander the Great, extradition, gullet, void, The Chieftans. I made the same mistake as Geoff on the DD. FJ was an instaget for me but Dr. Toothbrush didn't get it until I reminded him what 55 is in Roman numerals. He did what I suspect the 3 contestants did - went no further than V for 5 & said Versace. 

1 hour ago, Fex said:

I was really surprised no one got gullet.

Especially after Osman said gall. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 4

The way the clue was written I knew it had something to do with Trump.

Me, too.

Mr. Author got FJ as soon as he translated 55 into LV. But I got yesterday's FJ before Alex finished reading the clue. Jeopardy! LOVES Poe.

Strategy. Sometimes I wonder if Jeptestants even watch the show. If the girl in the middle wagered big, she couldn't win unless the two guys lost and she got it right. But if she bet 0 and the two guys lost and she got it wrong, she wins.  

• Love 7

Doesn't anyone like to read the year at the end of a movie by figuring the Roman numerals?

No.  Actually, I *do* try to figure out the year, but I don't *like* it. Why can't they use Arabic numbers? What's the big deal with those cumbersome Roman numerals?  At the vets' where I work, sometimes a pet will have a heart murmur and it's indicated on the chart at, say, II/VI.  We had one out of 7 docs who actually used Arabic numbers and it was so much easier to read (and for me to input).  Of course, we have another vet whose letter 'eye' is so stylized, it looks like a Z, which makes it even harder to read her writing.

As soon as I saw Geoff & his hip-swinging, I thought, "Oh, he's doomed on the forum!" That's not to say he wasn't doomed in my eyes, too.

I kept yelling, "CHIEFTAINS" at the TV, but only the cats heard me.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

No.  Actually, I *do* try to figure out the year, but I don't *like* it. Why can't they use Arabic numbers? What's the big deal with those cumbersome Roman numerals?  At the vets' where I work, sometimes a pet will have a heart murmur and it's indicated on the chart at, say, II/VI.  We had one out of 7 docs who actually used Arabic numbers and it was so much easier to read (and for me to input).  Of course, we have another vet whose letter 'eye' is so stylized, it looks like a Z, which makes it even harder to read her writing.

I like figuring out the year (and teach my students Roman numerals), but I've never heard a satisfactory explanation as to why the movies do it. Likewise the Super Bowl--did someone think the Roman numerals somehow made the game more of a big deal? I've never heard of doctors using them, though (Latin abbreviations, yes); have you ever asked them why?

• Love 3

I haven't asked, but since it was the youngest, most recent vet-school grad that used Arabic numbers, I'm assuming that's how they were taught to do it.  Like older dentists being DDS & younger ones being DMD. It's the same thing; it's the schools that changed the way they do it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I like figuring out the year (and teach my students Roman numerals), but I've never heard a satisfactory explanation as to why the movies do it. Likewise the Super Bowl--did someone think the Roman numerals somehow made the game more of a big deal? I've never heard of doctors using them, though (Latin abbreviations, yes); have you ever asked them why?

I think the idea that they used them so people couldn't tell how old a movie was is a myth. It's probably just because they looked fancy and it turned into an instant tradition.

• Love 3

FJ! was an instaget, but it would impossible  if you don't know designers, even if you figured out LV.  I'm bummed Osman is gone.   He was a good contestant and had no annoying tics/swaying/shouting/annoying mannerisms.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Cause it makes them feel important and classy? I haven't watched for the year at the end of the movie recently - do they still use them?

• Love 1

Alas, another bit of knowledge dependent on Latin is apparently no longer taught.  What a loss. 

Especially if you get caught in that tiger cage in Shelbyville. 

I got FJ - but more from remembering the 55 on LV luggage as opposed to figuring it out the Roman numeral way. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Kathira said:

I think the idea that they used them so people couldn't tell how old a movie was is a myth. It's probably just because they looked fancy and it turned into an instant tradition.

I've never bought the "disguise a movie's age" story either. If the year in Roman numerals doesn't come until the end, you've already watched the movie!

• Love 3
(edited)

So (ha ha) the wind started blowing here again at Jeopardy time so I missed most of the clues/answers as I spent the half hour moving the antenna around in my ceiling. I did see the interviews and heard Geoff get a "Good for you." TM Trebek. But my question is, why did Trebek ask Jan if all her pets were healthy? WTH kind of question is that? "No, my dog has lymphoma and will die soon" or "I have to put my 18-year-old cat to sleep when I come home from taping this show." What was he looking for? Why not ask about pet names or something ... anything. He's such a tool.

Meanwhile, Geoff has qualified for Dancing With The Stars with his excellent cha-cha hip action which he displayed throughout the entire game, including during the interviews. Say "Hi" to Tom Bergeron for me, Geoff.

I ALWAYS tank on FJ, always. But I keep up with pop culture and know most of (but not all) Roman numerals so Louis Vuitton was an super-easy instaget for me. I was pumped that Osman, The Ideal Jeopardy Contestant, was ahead, and happy when Jan wrote "Versace" and one of the guys was heard saying "Oh no" on the audio. So when Geoff missed it, I was all YEAY! Osman WINS! I actually yelled "NOOOOoooooo" when Osman also wrote "Versace." WTH.

Now we get another half hour of Geoff's cha cha. Maybe he'll switch to some salsa hip action today.

Side note: I've never seen a Vuitton anything so didn't know if the bags have LV or 55 on them. Either worked for me on FJ.

9 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Doesn't anyone like to read the year at the end of a movie by figuring the Roman numerals?

YES! But not movies so much as old television shows, like Leave It To Beaver or Lassie. I like to see when they were originally broadcast, 1962 or 1958 or whenever. I love all BW tv shows so knowing their year makes them more fun when you see the old telephones or stoves or refrigerators. And all the females wearing dresses. How dare those women folk ever think of wearing pants!

I credit my knowledge of Roman numerals to old television shows AND movies. Not to any school learnin'.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, EllenB said:

I was so dizzy from watching Geoffff squirming and rocking that I could barely follow the last part of the show

Ditto. Was rooting for him to lose for that reason alone

Count me in with the folks who can't believe that FJ was a triple stumper

• Love 5
1 minute ago, bad things are bad said:

Ditto. Was rooting for him to lose for that reason alone

Ditto, here too. He seems like a nice guy and is easy on the eyes, but that spinning and rocking was just too much.

Only three ts's for me, extradition, pony, and schooner.

Perhaps a couple of seconds off being an instaget FJ.  Was very surprised they all said Versace.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I credit my knowledge of Roman numerals to old television shows AND movies. Not to any school learnin'.

I was wondering if schools even teach Roman numerals anymore.  I don't know why they would.  Here's how I first started to learn them.  My older brother made a peace sign with his fingers and said "What is this?"  The answer was, of course, a Roman ordering five beers.

• Love 12
(edited)
3 hours ago, SHD said:

My older brother made a peace sign with his fingers and said "What is this?"  The answer was, of course, a Roman ordering five beers.

Too funny. And the first time I've heard that one. Maybe it will be a J clue some day, complete with photo of a Roman in a bar.

ETA: (And five beers lined up on the bar.)

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7

I've been meaning to ask this for a while.  Then yesterday (or maybe it was Monday), they had a category that was close.  It was "Potent"...something or other.

But...whatever happened to "Potent Potables?"  I was a kid when I remember first seeing that and learning what a potable was.  Wasn't it almost a standard recurring category at one time?

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

I've been meaning to ask this for a while.  Then yesterday (or maybe it was Monday), they had a category that was close.  It was "Potent"...something or other.

But...whatever happened to "Potent Potables?"  I was a kid when I remember first seeing that and learning what a potable was.  Wasn't it almost a standard recurring category at one time?

Yes, it was...I answer as I pour a glass of chardonnay!

• Love 3

I think they still use it every now and then, not as often as they used to.  Another old category I liked was 'Unreal Estate'.

• Love 6
On 4/30/2018 at 5:41 PM, CarpeDiem54 said:

I thought the first round was extremely easy. 

This refers to Monday's game, and it was.  My mom was in the ER, had been for 13 hours at the time the show started, and was on a pretty good dose of morphine.  (Spinal fracture; with time she should be fine.)  I was closer to the noise outside her room than the TV, so half the time I didn't even hear all the words in the clue.  Yet we were both rattling off answers right and left. 

• Love 9
20 minutes ago, Bastet said:

This refers to Monday's game, and it was.  My mom was in the ER, had been for 13 hours at the time the show started, and was on a pretty good dose of morphine.  (Spinal fracture; with time she should be fine.)  I was closer to the noise outside her room than the TV, so half the time I didn't even hear all the words in the clue.  Yet we were both rattling off answers right and left. 

Yikes. Hoping for a speedier recovery than expected. She sounds like a trooper.

• Love 5

Sending my best wishes for a full recovery to your mother, Bastet. Glad she (and you) were well enough to watch J. It had to be a good distraction. Let us know how she is getting along. Spinal fracture ... I cannot imagine.

• Love 4

I'm sure it has never happened before where two days in a row I know FJ and none of the contestants did. None of them has heard the Hamilton soundtrack?

Who is the Lewis that two people guessed? Is that a logical miss and I just don't get what their thought process was?

New champ seems sharp, but he kept picking a clue and then quickly looking down. Maybe just nerves.

• Love 5