Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:41 PM, Mondrianyone said:

That's what I thought, too.  But then I remembered that they show pictures of poppies when the answer is "poppy."  So I went with Europa.  Never underestimate the writers' penchant for stating the obvious.

I thought it said "children" and didn't realize Europa had more than one child by Zeus, but it fit the Euro part of the clue, so that's what I said.

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 8:09 PM, Tunia said:

Once again I suspect the producers read this website!  Thought of you all when Alex started his "You look familiar...".

For some reason, Nixon popped into my head instantly for FJ, and I was sure it was wrong.  Darn near fell over when it turned out to be the answer.

I thought for sure that Nixon was born and died in California.  So I waffled around and finally said Lincoln.  Oh well.

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:57 PM, Toothbrush said:

South African city that begins with a P?,

I missed the category and said Johannesburg.  Urgh.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, illdoc said:

I thought FJ belonged in (as an earlier poster put it) "Toddler Jeopardy". Doesn't everyone (except the 3 contestants) know that "nothing is certain except death and taxes"?!!! I couldn't believe how badly they guessed!!!

I didn't have a clue until Alex said something right before they revealed the contestants' answers.  I've used that phrase many times, but didn't connect it to the Constitution.

20 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I think they should have made them give the complete names for John Wilkes Booth and Ethel Rosenberg

Me too.

19 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

So much this.  Powers Booth and Kit Rosenberg anyone?

Could've been Edwin Booth, John Wilkes Booth's brother, who was by far the more famous of the two prior to the Lincoln assassination.

18 hours ago, lb60 said:

Kate Spade is married to David's brother, Andy.

This is the kind of (usually) useless info that fills my brain.

And she apparently committed suicide this morning.  Talk about eerie.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I came here to post about Kate Spade too. How awful! I have several of her bags & I've received a few texts & 2 people coming to my office to tell me. So, so sad. She had a 13-year-old daughter :-( She was only 55 years old.  

I ordered a pair of KS eyeglass frames the other day and they arrived today, which I'll always remember when I wear them. I'm sorry she was so troubled and pray for her family. Nothing is more important than health: mental and physical.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

And she apparently committed suicide this morning.  Talk about eerie.

I remember that same eerie coincidence back when Stephen Hawking died in March and there was a clue about him. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Kathira said:

Oh, and count me in the "Buzzy is funny" crew, and I laughed at his humble and self-effacing championship belt. At least he put some of his Jeopardy money to good use. LOL I do agree that a little Buzzy goes a long way, though. I wouldn't like to see him replace Alex. When he does retire, I'd rather have Ken Jennings.

Yeah, I like Buzzy, but I'm not sure I'd like to see him every night. As for Ken, I wouldn't mind him, though I recall him as being low key. But I wonder which is worse for contestants - a host who pretends to know it all, or one who seemingly does?

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Kathira said:

The Kookaburra Song. Which would probably have earned a "no, it's the other one" from Alex. And now it's in my head. Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree. Merry, merry king of the bush is he. Laugh, Kookaburra, laugh Kookaburra, gay your life must be.

I learned this song in summer day camp as a kid and drove my parents crazy with it.  We sang it in rounds at the day's end gathering before hopping on the camp bus, so it was fresh in mind when arriving home.  It might well have been my first earworm!  

• Love 7

I never in a million years would have gotten FJ today, but I thought of y'all when Alex got to pronounce Hercule Poirot!  And I laughed.

The new champ can stop putting a smiley face in the O of his name, but otherwise, I didn't notice anything egregious about him.  I did shout (repeatedly), "Skyjacking!" for his first DD, but alas, he didn't hear me.

The only TS I wrote down was Brazil.

• Love 9

I, uh, really, uh, dislike, uh, the, uh, new, uh, champ.  And stand still.  Then get the hell off my lawn.  lol  It's been that kind of day.  

I'm officially freaked out over the Kate Spade news.  RIP.

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The new champ can stop putting a smiley face in the O of his name, but otherwise, I didn't notice anything egregious about him.  I did shout (repeatedly), "Skyjacking!" for his first DD, but alas, he didn't hear me.

All I could think was the skyjacking craze was Before His Time. I remember when it was happening all the time, and D.B. Cooper is still a legend in my mind. Leverage did an episode about him, and he was a character on Prison Break.

I can't believe that I got FJ and none of the players did. WTH is this world coming to, I'm obviously living in Bizarro Jeopardy World. I've never read any Agatha Christie and I can't stand the Poirot character when his movies have been on tv (PBS), so I guess my dislike for the character is what led me to the answer.

If the clue had been real people, I would have answered Groucho Marx. His mustache was painted on most of the time.

I was thinking for a minute that yesterday's champ was cursed by the poster here who said if she came in third today she would make less $$ in two days as the champ than the second-place one-day player. But she pulled it out and went home with a few extra bucks.

• Love 9
59 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I never in a million years would have gotten FJ today, but I thought of y'all when Alex got to pronounce Hercule Poirot!  And I laughed.

I said it exactly the way Alex went on to say it, because it makes my husband laugh.  And four years of French shouldn't go completely to waste.

59 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I did shout (repeatedly), "Skyjacking!" for his first DD, but alas, he didn't hear me.

Nobody heard me yell "Dengue!" either.  I did say that I wanted a bullhorn for my birthday (based on watching a crazy old lady who had one on Judge Judy a week or so ago), and now I can see a good use for it.  If I really want to end up in a mental institution--or getting my own viral YouTube channel--I guess all I need to do is sit in front of Jeopardy! screaming answers through a bullhorn.

• Love 12

Yay, finally broke my losing streak on FJ. Famously vain fictional characters with moustaches? Who else could it be? Easy if you know it. I think people were thrown off by the date. Agatha Christie's stuff is so old-fashioned seeming today that it's hard to remember that she lived until 1976.

59 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Fictional Characters....who died in 1975.....Mark Twain?!!!

That was a really ridiculous guess. I suppose you could say that Mark Twain was Samuel Clemons' alter ego, but that still doesn't fit the category of fictional characters. 

I also got skyjacking, chemise, Liberia and Henry the Navigator. I was on a roll tonight. Both missed DD's and FJ. You go, girl! Which I wondered if they would have accepted instead of "Atta!"

• Love 3

I loved the Pulitzer Musical category.  My favorite one though is Fiorello and I was pretty sure it wouldn't be included.  Happy that the ex-champ got Sondheim but looked on in disbelief when she thought Hair was from the mid 70s.  

Also I am old enough to remember the big deal when Agatha Christie, Miss Marple and Poirot died.

Finally I am also a Don't Shoot Me fan.  The first season episode where they got stoned on candy from China is one of my all time favorite sit com episodes.  I use the line "ooh, ooh,  board fell" a lot when things go wrong.  Not many people get it though ?

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I said it exactly the way Alex went on to say it, because it makes my husband laugh.  And four years of French shouldn't go completely to waste.

Heh, I did the same thing.  I'll take any opportunity to not lose the 300+ hours of intense studying and practicing before our trip to France in 2014.

Dang, I had only Dengue and da Gama.

• Love 4

Catching up from yesterday... Buzzy's thirst is so very real, I had no clue death+taxes = Ben Franklin, and very eerie about Kate Spade. I love her style and have one of her wallets.

As for today, for TS I got A Chorus Line, Vasco Da Gama (I always loved saying his name when I was a kid), and ta-da.

For FJ I wild guessed Snidely Whiplash. 

• Love 7

I can't stand j?e.  Get off my lawn.

I got the skyjacking DD (although I said airplane hijacking) and Vasco da Gama.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Same here.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, lb60 said:

I, uh, really, uh, dislike, uh, the, uh, new, uh, champ.  And stand still.  Then get the hell off my lawn.  lol  It's been that kind of day.  

I'm officially freaked out over the Kate Spade news.  RIP.

I started that conversation yesterday, so I feel you. 

This wasn't a fun game to watch. I know the new champ was wearing Cavs colors, but they looked like the ASU colors, so I disliked him immediately. His hemming and hawing while selecting didn't change my opinion. 

I learned today that highjacking and skyjacking are different things. Thanks, Jeopardy. 

My gets were dengue fever, Brazil, Liberia, holy cow, Brunei, and Henry the Navigator. I whiffed on FJ. Boo hiss. 

When i type in the name of a country now, the flag of that country shows up as a suggestion. I'm having fun with flags, just like Sheldon Cooper. Oh goodness, I hope Jim Parsons survives my post. 

• Love 17
8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I just heard this on the news and came right here. So sad and yes, creepy. Being a clue on Jeopardy is now worse than being a Sports Illustrated cover. I create ads for a very successful show dog named Kate Spade, so it's double weird for me.

So Sad, and my late, beloved Kitty was named Kate Spade :(

I was a Total blank on FJ, could not for the life of me think of a Mustached Fictional Character(all I could think of was Salvador Dali & he was Real :)  Then when I saw the answer, I was like "Duh" :)

• Love 7

So many people thought that they had “made it” when they became a clue (or answer) on Jeopardy. They’d be delighted. After the curse has come into play they must cringe with fear. 

Sadly I missed the show. Somebody tested me to see if they or the show was more important to me. They might have won the battle today but I’m going to win the war. Jeopardy will win every time. Either you take me as I am and like me or move on. I’m done with nonsense and readjusting my life to suit others. Dang if I’m going to miss tomorrow night because I’m meeting a friend I rarely get to see. This does not make for a good mood week. Alas, you are all dear and I won’t take it out on you. Where is the punching bag? Lol. 

• Love 10
(edited)
28 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

For FJ I wild guessed Snidely Whiplash. 

Hey, that's a great guess. I like it!

Mindthinkr, never fear. Episodes are up on YouTube almost as soon as they air on the east coast. Knowing that makes me less cranky when I have to go somewhere that can't be helped.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

I had no guess for FJ. Maybe if I tried a little harder I could have come up with Poirot. I haven't read any Agatha Christie, but I remember Albert Finney in Murder on the Orient Express taping his mustache down, so there's the vanity that the clue mentioned.

I liked Megan's guess of the Monopoly Man.

The TSs I got were A Chorus Line, chemise, dengue, Liberia, Holy cow!, and ta-da. Pretty good. Or... TA-DA!

• Love 5

Not a math expert, but don't , say , at least 98% of people not die immediately after being Jeopardy answers?

Having said that, and being a Yankees fan, I was nervous for Aaron Boone during the game tonight.

• Love 15
14 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

So many people thought that they had “made it” when they became a clue (or answer) on Jeopardy. They’d be delighted. After the curse has come into play they must cringe with fear. 

Sadly I missed the show. Somebody tested me to see if they or the show was more important to me. They might have won the battle today but I’m going to win the war. Jeopardy will win every time. Either you take me as I am and like me or move on. I’m done with nonsense and readjusting my life to suit others. Dang if I’m going to miss tomorrow night because I’m meeting a friend I rarely get to see. This does not make for a good mood week. Alas, you are all dear and I won’t take it out on you. Where is the punching bag? Lol. 

my friends know not to call me between 7-7:30.  i won't answer the phone!

• Love 4
1 minute ago, jaybird2 said:

Alas, you are all dear and I won’t take it out on you. Where is the punching bag? Lol. 

Make sure to tell them to stay off your lawn, too. That'll larn 'em.

• Love 4
(edited)

I said Poirot for FJ, but I don't know why.  Maybe the part of the clue about the mustache.  I certainly didn't make the connection with the date to Agatha Christie killing him off.  Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 8
38 minutes ago, opus said:

Not a math expert, but don't , say , at least 98% of people not die immediately after being Jeopardy answers?

Yes. It's lust a matter of probability and coincidences. We ignore all the times where people have survived being a clue on Jeopardy! and only notice we they don't. Also, a fair amount of answers refer to people who are already dead and often have been for decades if not centuries. 

1 hour ago, teebax said:

My gets were dengue fever, Brazil, Liberia, holy cow, Brunei, and Henry the Navigator. I whiffed on FJ. Boo hiss. 

Got Vasco de Gama too, but had no clue on FJ. 

The song "Feel it still" by the band Portugal. The Man is quite good. I didn't know this until I looked them up, but they are originally from Wasilla, Alaska, the hometown of a certain VP nominee. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, DrScottie said:
48 minutes ago, opus said:

Yes. It's lust a matter of probability and coincidences. We ignore all the times where people have survived being a clue on Jeopardy! and only notice we they don't. Also, a fair amount of answers refer to people who are already dead and often have been for decades if not centuries. 

Well, duh, if every living person died after being a clue/answer on Jeopardy, I think more than just us PTV posters would notice. Although if they all did die, it makes my mind race with so many possibilities.

Since it's no fun posting that So And So was a clue/answer but isn't dead, we could add Clue People Who Are Not Dead Yet to our drinking game. That way those people won't feel so bad about still being alive.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Even though you've been spoiled for a bunch of answers, @Mindthinkr, you can still watch the show.  I can't fix the rest of the problem (I hope you can), but I also do have a punching bag.  I'll be home all day tomorrow if you want to pick it up.  Just don't you be the punching bag.  You're wonderful as you are--you shouldn't have to pass silly tests to prove that.  <3

• Love 4

I like the new champ fine, except for the swaying. He got lucky with the sports category, but was a good player throughout the entire game. I would have preferred Leslie to repeat, or Megan. 

The $400 clue in the Rambo category boiled down to "who played Rambo in the movie series"? I'm surprised there wasn't a pic of Mr. Stallone. Although the picture category was pretty easy, & black & white didn't up the difficulty at all. 

Got a bunch of TS: skyjacking (Joe's missed DD), A Chorus Line, dengue fever, Brazil (guess), Liberia, holy cow (guess), de Gama, Brunei (Megan's missed DD), ta-da, Henry the Navigator. No clue for FJ. I am one of the people who associate Agatha Christie with the 30s-50s, and especially Poirot with the 30s. I loved the art deco sets on the David Suchet series. But Alex got to use his French accent, and isn't that all that matters? ;-)

9 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I ordered a pair of KS eyeglass frames the other day and they arrived today, which I'll always remember when I wear them. I'm sorry she was so troubled and pray for her family. Nothing is more important than health: mental and physical.

I forgot that my glasses frames were KS until I was switching from contacts to glasses this evening & saw her name embossed on the case. I have been eyeing a pair of shoes & watching for a dress to go on sale, but now I'm a little torn. I feel terrible that she felt so hopeless that she thought suicide was the only way out. Thankfully, I can't even imagine. I can't get her daughter out of my mind, and couldn't stop hugging my kids tonight. 

5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was thinking for a minute that yesterday's champ was cursed by the poster here who said if she came in third today she would make less $$ in two days as the champ than the second-place one-day player. But she pulled it out and went home with a few extra bucks.

That was me, and I thought I had cursed her too! Thank goodness for Megan's wrong answer & high wager. 

4 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I can't stand j?e. 

LOL!! Frowny face Joe. 

4 hours ago, teebax said:

This wasn't a fun game to watch. I know the new champ was wearing Cavs colors, but they looked like the ASU colors, so I disliked him immediately. 

All I could think of was ketchup & mustard.

• Love 11

I loved the Pulitzer Musical category.  My favorite one though is Fiorello and I was pretty sure it wouldn't be included.  Happy that the ex-champ got Sondheim but looked on in disbelief when she thought Hair was from the mid 70s.  

I saw Fiorello on B'way and loved it ("Little old New York is plenty good enough for me, good enough for me...") I was lucky since it closed after only 16 performances.

Learn something new every day. Like, Marvin Hamlish wrote the music for Hair. Or was that Kit Hamlish?

A picture of the Alamo??? And Greta Garbo??? Holy crap!

• Love 6
(edited)
13 hours ago, illdoc said:

Fictional Characters....who died in 1975.....Mark Twain?!!!

Laughed at that guess. Though if you really want to stretch (and I mean stretch like Elastigirl) you could make a case that the name is fictional - but, yeah, even the stretch is too much.

12 hours ago, Kathira said:

Yay, finally broke my losing streak on FJ. Famously vain fictional characters with moustaches? Who else could it be? Easy if you know it. I think people were thrown off by the date. Agatha Christie's stuff is so old-fashioned seeming today that it's hard to remember that she lived until 1976.

I didn't read Agatha Christie until the 80's, and didn't read the HP stories because I didn't like them. So his description didn't come to my forebrain. The date confused me, since I thought she died far earlier than the 70's.

When the champ lost - I thought "well, at least she doesn't have to get a chicken coop" - silver linings, people.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 11

I didn't notice the new champ hemming and hawing but his swaying was annoying. Otherwise he's okay.

My ts's were chemise, Dengue, Brazil and Liberia plus the dd's of skyjacking and Henry the Navigator - he was fresh in my mind because I said him instead of Vasco da Gama just a few minutes earlier.

Instaget FJ.  I've always loved Poirot, particularly as played by David Suchet.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Learn something new every day. Like, Marvin Hamlish wrote the music for Hair.

No, he wrote the music for A Chorus Line.

6 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Lots of people thought FJ could be Monopoly Man.  I don't know who that is....

Ask, and ye shall receive.

310?cb=20171112175112

• Love 8

I don't know who Poirot is, so obviously I missed FJ

I said Charlie Chaplin, even though I know he is the actor and not the fictional character with a mustache.  And he died in 1977, not 1975, but I knew he died around then at least. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I saw Fiorello on B'way and loved it ("Little old New York is plenty good enough for me, good enough for me...") I was lucky since it closed after only 16 performances.

Learn something new every day. Like, Marvin Hamlish wrote the music for Hair. Or was that Kit Hamlish?

A picture of the Alamo??? And Greta Garbo??? Holy crap!

Was that the original production? I saw it as part of Encores!, which is a series devoted to forgotten/underperformed but still interesting musicals. My favorite song from that is "Little Tin Box."

Garbo was Before Their Time, don't you know?

Good on you, Alex.  Always  remind the returning champ of how low her score was yesterday...

If the win is under $10,000, he's guaranteed to imply it wasn't impressive enough for him. Leslie's score was the lowest winner in a while, so I knew a comment would be forthcoming. He's sure to remind us tonight that Joe got FJ wrong but won anyway. I didn't have a clue on the latter either.

• Love 4

If the win is under $10,000, he's guaranteed to imply it wasn't impressive enough for him

Which shows why he's an ass.  It doesn't matter how much she won - she won.  She is a Jeopardy champ and always will be. 

• Love 16

Good on you, Alex.  Always  remind the returning champ of how low her score was yesterday...

Well, we all knew that was coming... I know Alex is going to be 78 next month, and I certainly think he looks great for his age, but the filter is definitely gone.  He never used to be such an ass.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, teebax said:

I know the new champ was wearing Cavs colors, but they looked like the ASU colors, so I disliked him immediately.

I thought more they were Childish Colors (TM) which made me immediately like him. I'm all about being bold and primary. Colorwise, that is.

Other than that, I'm not paying much attention to any of the players lately, what they do with their hands or buzzers or what they wear. I've become apathetic.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Mustaches! Of course it had to be Poirot!

I was shocked - an entire category of musicals that won the Pulizer and they didn’t include Hamilton. 

I didn't get it.  I had no idea that Agatha Christie had killed off the character, so I had no reason to think he'd have a obit in the paper.

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did shout (repeatedly), "Skyjacking!" for his first DD, but alas, he didn't hear me.

I said hijacking - think they'd have given me credit?  Or maybe I'd have gotten a BMS?

15 hours ago, Kathira said:

Liberia and Henry the Navigator

I got those as well.

8 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

but I was thinking vanity so went with Dorian Gray...

Me, too

2 hours ago, Trey said:

My ts's were chemise, Dengue, Brazil and Liberia plus the dd's of skyjacking and Henry the Navigator - he was fresh in my mind because I said him instead of Vasco da Gama just a few minutes earlier.

OMG - I did the exact same thing!

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

Back when it first became a thing, skyjacking was referred to as "airplane hijacking."  I don't think it became differentiated from other kinds of jacking till carjacking became a thing.  I said hijacking, and I would've argued myself blue in the face if they didn't accept it.  I'd've gone full Pranjal on those judges.

Probably every kind of item that can be stolen should have its own "-jacking" term, like "Unionjacking" if you steal a British flag, "Crackerjacking" if you steal a popcorn snack, "humpbackjacking" if you steal a whale.  I can also think of a bunch of X-rated ones, but I'll spare you.  You're welcome.

I used to see Greta Garbo on a regular basis when I worked in the UN neighborhood--she lived nearby, and she'd visit the local produce stand to smell melons and squeeze tomatoes.  She was pretty elderly at the time, but in color she looked much the same as when she was young.  I'd never recognize her in black and white, though.  Kind of like Superman wearing glasses.

• Love 17
(edited)
2 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

But didn't the black & white make them soooo much harder to identify???? 

My take was that being in BW meant they were OLD. You know, before color film was invented. That means no color photos are allowed to be taken of The Alamo. Right?

51 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Back when it first became a thing, skyjacking was referred to as "airplane hijacking."  I don't think it became differentiated from other kinds of jacking till carjacking became a thing.  I said hijacking, and I would've argued myself blue in the face if they didn't accept it. 

I'm with you on this. We could tag team the judges.

51 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I can also think of a bunch of X-rated ones, but I'll spare you.  You're welcome.

This made me laugh. And also slightly disappointed that you spared us. Thank you though!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7