Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Anyone else think Zach looks like Gary Burghoff, aka Radar from MASH?  Just me?  Maybe I've been watching too many MASH reruns....

I waffled between Social Security and Medicare, and finally chose Medicare for FJ.  Not quite an instaget, but close.

Good game tonight, I though.  Zach sways a bit, but it's tolerable, they all started at the tops of categories, and I don't think there were too many TS or goofy guesses.  TS I got include Dyson, Laurie Metcalf, shoes, and Australia.  Oh, wait, the guess of pants for espadrilles was kind of goofy.  I was very sad that Laurie Metcalf was a TS, too -- they even had a picture!  Maybe if they'd mentioned she plays Sheldon's mother on Big Bang Theory?

I thought the same thing about Zach and Radar. Maybe M*A*S*H is on my mind with the passing of David Ogden Stiers being in the news.

I wonder if they would have accepted slippers for espadrilles?

I was surprised no one came up with Raymond Chandler after Dashiell Hammett was ruled wrong. 

I knew Laurie Metcalf but drew a blank on her name. I also guessed social security for FJ.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Anyone else think Zach looks like Gary Burghoff, aka Radar from MASH?  Just me? 

When I saw him I immediately said, "Radar O'Reilly!"

I got Dyson, My House (I really like that song), Laurie Metcalf (love her), and shoes. I drew a blank on Lake Como. I mean, I knew it but couldn't retrieve it from my brain. Same with Chandler. Same with Joseph Wambaugh, though for some reason I came up with Brombaugh.

I got FJ. I knew it wasn't Social Security because it began during FDR's administration.

• Love 6

I knew that espadrilles are shoes, but if you asked me to describe them, I'd have no clue. 

27 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I got Dyson, My House (I really like that song), Laurie Metcalf (love her), and shoes. I drew a blank on Lake Como.

Got those. I don't know where George Clooney lives either. I would have expected a clue with Perry Como instead.  

Got FJ! too as I remembered Harry Truman getting a Medicare card and Social Security was well before that. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, halfpint ingals said:

I couldn't believe no one knew Laurie Metcalf, and they even had a photo.   She was also Andy's mother on Toy Story.

I know Laurie Metcalf, love Laurie Metcalf, been watching her for more than 20 years, rooted for her at the Oscars (among others - it was a good group), and could not dredge her name out of the dim recesses of my brain.

I totally misread the Wambaugh clue and went for Connoly's character Bosch instead. Didn't bother to wonder why he was giving himself high praise.

Lake Como popped right out - even though I don't read a lot about Clooney - look at him, sure, he's still fine after all these years. 

I loved Zach's name. Zack Dark. I just kept saying it with emphasis - I'm weird.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I know Laurie Metcalf, love Laurie Metcalf, been watching her for more than 20 years, rooted for her at the Oscars (among others - it was a good group), and could not dredge her name out of the dim recesses of my brain.

Exactly! Just the other day I was trying to think of her name for some other reason and couldn't come up with it. 

Got Raymond Chandler - he was a clue or answer just a few days ago too, Joseph Wambaugh and said sandals for espadrilles, maybe more ts's but I don't remember.  I got FJ fairly quickly.

I agree, Zach looks like Gary Burghoff.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Driad said:

What was the Lake Como clue?  I got it from the picture but don't see what in the clue pointed to it.

It mentioned George Clooney and I guess it's supposed to be common pop culture knowledge that George Clooney owns a house there. (Which I did know and is how I got the correct answer).

• Love 5

That's how I got Lake Como also, but Ashley's response of Lake George was probably what I would have answered had I not known. 

I've liked the past few champs, but Lane's non-sportsman like behavior Friday turned me off. I didn't see the Radar resemblance in Zach, but I will look for it tonight. He reminds me of a heavier Dr. Toothbrush, who, to my knowledge, has never been told he looks like Gary Burghoff. He is usually told he looks like a blonde, blue eyed (non-crazy) Tom Cruise. Lane reminded me of Matt Damon at times. 

• Love 1

I knew that Clooney’s house was on a lake beginning with C, but went with Lake Constance instead. Oops.

I did get Medicare, knowing that SS was from the ‘30s and that Harry Truman had the first Medicare card. I got shoes, My House (which was a pure guess, since the only Flo Rida song I know is Good Feeling), Laurie Metcalf, and a few others. I completely whiffed the constitutional amendments, except for the tenth. 

• Love 1

It mentioned George Clooney and I guess it's supposed to be common pop culture knowledge that George Clooney owns a house there. (Which I did know and is how I got the correct answer).

I've been talking about it for years.  Before he married someone else, I kept threating my friends with being disinvited to his Italy home :-)  Well, while he was single, there was always a chance.  A slim chance but still....

• Love 7

I spent the entire show saying: "Wait, give me a second. I know it/him/her/that." I confused espadrilles with epaulettes. My mom got espadrilles right! The only ones I could remember in time was the lake in Australia and 5th Amendment.

FJ. The clue was: "In 1982, when Bess Truman died, she had been enrolled in this government program for about 17 years, longer than anyone else." I was immediately thinking of any other First Lady since the category was "First Lady Facts." Y'know, as easy as they have been making FJ lately, would it have killed them to say "any other citizen?" Yeah, I guessed Social Security. I was trying to figure out how old Mamie Eisenhower and Eleanor Roosevelt were. Or if former presidents and their wives even qualified for Social Security or...oh, Medicare, never mind.

Edited by tallykat
to give credit where credit is due
  • Love 4
38 minutes ago, tallykat said:

I was immediately thinking of any other First Lady since the category was "First Lady Facts."

Yeah, no kidding. I second that emotion. I spent my FJ time trying to remember first ladies.

Edited by saber5055
3 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I knew that Clooney’s house was on a lake beginning with C, but went with Lake Constance instead. Oops.

Oops is right. You could've at least said Lake Carson.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

You could've at least said Lake Carson.

BMS please. Ha ha ha!

7 minutes ago, opus said:

I was looking for it today, and to whoever said Zach = Radar, I'll buy it.

I forgot a Radar doppleganger was on contestant row, so I didn't see the resemblance. I'll try to remember to look closer next time I see Mr. Dark.

There has to be a gigantic file labeled "Camus" in that Jeopardy clue-writer's room. Alex once again got to get his Cam-mewuuoo on. Made his day, I am sure.

Groundhog Day was a no brainer for me, since my life is Groundhog Day and I use that term to describe it. Side note: I've been to Woodstock, Illinois, many times, where that movie was filmed. The town has a huge Groundhog Day celebration that rivals Punxsutawney Phil's east coast bash.

• Love 9

I liked Zach’s chat that he was married on Pi Day. Speaking of P’s..I got all the P+3 category but I’ll admit the first word that came to my mind wasn’t up there lol. They could do that one again. Punt, post (as horseback riding), peer, plea, plus etc. I’m glad they ran the board and that they only had 2 TS’ers the first round. I only got Cuba. 2nd round I got Molly Pitcher, Thanksgiving, glycogen, Groundhog Day and FJ. 

• Love 4

Congrats to Zach again.  Now all I see is a middle-aged Radar when I look at him.  ?

I'm certainly glad Paris the buzzer flailer didn't win.  I found him obnoxious.  Poor McKayle seemed uncertain of every one of her answers.

33 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Alex once again got to get his Cam-mewuuoo on. Made his day, I am sure.

Bawahaha!  I thought the same thing.  It must be written into his contract.

I got Cuba, Lew Wallace, and Groundhog Day (DD).

This week isn't going well.  I was totally clueless for FJ.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 7

Ok, I tuned in halfway through so I missed the introductions. Did they mention that Paris played Mike Teevee in Willy Wonka when he was a kid? I got excited when I realized it was him. I've seen him in interviews and his name is unusual so I remembered where I knew him from. After some googling I discovered his wife was once on the show too. 

• Love 11

Zach has a lot going for him. Any fan of Aaron Sorkin is a friend of mine. Plus he's got the best last name I've heard since I worked with a guy named Peace. And then of course there's the whole Radar thing. May he have a long run.

Apologies in advance if I have just jinxed him.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, desertflower said:

Ok, I tuned in halfway through so I missed the introductions. Did they mention that Paris played Mike Teevee in Willy Wonka when he was a kid? I got excited when I realized it was him. I've seen him in interviews and his name is unusual so I remembered where I knew him from. After some googling I discovered his wife was once on the show too. 

That's cool background. Nice catch. 

He came off as pompous, but I couldn't tell you why. I wish I could travel as much as he has, so I'm may just be jealous. 

I got Cuba (surprised by that TS), Molly Pitcher, Thanksgiving, Groundhog Day, and FJ in an instaget. Do any of you know to which book Alex was referring as the other possibility? I wish he'd say so when he makes comments like that. 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, desertflower said:

I went over to IMDB and it said that he was on Jeopardy in 1984. How is it that he gets to play twice? Is that allowed (uh, sorry if that’s a stupid question). 

@teebax it could be Capitalism or The Fountainhead

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, teebax said:

That's cool background. Nice catch. 

He came off as pompous, but I couldn't tell you why. I wish I could travel as much as he has, so I'm may just be jealous. 

I got Cuba (surprised by that TS), Molly Pitcher, Thanksgiving, Groundhog Day, and FJ in an instaget. Do any of you know to which book Alex was referring as the other possibility? I wish he'd say so when he makes comments like that. 

I wondered if the other book was The Fountainhead.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, desertflower said:

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that was him.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I went over to IMDB and it said that he was on Jeopardy in 1984. How is it that he gets to play twice? Is that allowed (uh, sorry if that’s a stupid question). 

I'm curious too. I thought that wasn't allowed.

I got Cuba and Thanksgiving. For the Ryan Gosling clue, I only got Blade Runner 2000… something. I also got the DD of Taiwan.

I didn't realize Billy Eichner was on American Horror Story. 

I don't always pay attention to today's music, but this is the second time in two days that I've heard Cardi B's name. Maybe I've heard her song(s), but I'll need to google. Is she on a TV commercial too?

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Is she on a TV commercial too?

Cardi B was in the Superbowl commercial where Amazon's Alexa lost her voice so different people filled in. Other voices were Gordon Ramsay, Anthony Hopkins and Rebel Wilson. She also won best new artist at the iHeartRadio Music Awards this past weekend. She is engaged to Offset, and currently is in some hot water for dissing the Crips. It's exciting times!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Groundhog Day was a no brainer for me, since my life is Groundhog Day and I use that term to describe it. Side note: I've been to Woodstock, Illinois, many times, where that movie was filmed. The town has a huge Groundhog Day celebration that rivals Punxsutawney Phil's east coast bash.

I've been to Groundhog Days in Woodstock and gone on the walking tour of the film sites.  Very cool, as I am a huge fan of the movie.  Needless to say, I knew the DD.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

It doesn't say that for me. Maybe there was a temporary mistake that showed up, plus Trebek's Jeopardy began in 1984, so IMDB might have had that year showing for the show as a whole.

You can't be on Jeopardy if you've already been on with Trebek as the host, so it's possible that when he retires a bunch of old former players will get to audition again!

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I only got Cuba. 2nd round I got Molly Pitcher, Thanksgiving, glycogen, Groundhog Day and FJ. 

GMTA! These are exactly the ones I got!

Zach looks too much like my brother-in-law for me to see Radar. But I see him. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, teebax said:

Molly Pitcher

They were looking for a legendary figure and guessed the founder of the American Red Cross, Clara Barton, and the Lady with the Lamp, Florence Nightingale, both two very real historical people

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

49 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

I've been to Groundhog Days in Woodstock and gone on the walking tour of the film sites.  Very cool, as I am a huge fan of the movie.  Needless to say, I knew the DD.

I've done the walking tour too as I am also a huge fan of the movie, but never did the Groundhog Days. Maybe some day.  I did go to the real Gobbler's Knob in Punxsutawney too, but in the summer. 

2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I waffled between Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead.  I went with The Fountainhead.....

There's an apartment complex down the road from me called the Fountainhead so that caused me to pick it over Atlas Shrugged as I couldn't decide between the two either.  

• Love 4

I cannot believe Cuba and Thanksgiving were TS.  I also knew Molly Pitcher, citizen, and glycogen, but didn't bat an eye at those going unanswered.  The Hemingway/Cuba and Lincoln/Thanksgiving connections being lost on all three of them, though - that surprised me.

• Love 5

Saw the Radar resemblance tonight, but was looking for it. Happy Anniversary to Mr. & Mrs. Dark! I was glad they cleared the board, and there was minimal board jumping, even though Mike TeeVee Paris was headed in that direction. 

TS I got were Cuba, citizen, Thanksgiving, glycogen, Groundhog Day (McKayle's missed DD), Taiwan (Paris' missed DD). FJ was an instaget, then I waffled and thought Fountainhead, but went back to Atlas Shrugged.

5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

There has to be a gigantic file labeled "Camus" in that Jeopardy clue-writer's room. Alex once again got to get his Cam-mewuuoo on. Made his day, I am sure.

LOL! I kept saying Cam-mewuuoo for the rest of the game. 

5 hours ago, desertflower said:

It was not mentioned at all. I remember his wife being a contestant. 

2 hours ago, tallykat said:

Zach looks too much like my brother-in-law for me to see Radar. But I see him. 

He looks too much like my husband for me to have seen the Radar resemblance, but once it was mentioned I could see it. 

1 hour ago, DrScottie said:

They were looking for a legendary figure and guessed the founder of the American Red Cross, Clara Barton, and the Lady with the Lamp, Florence Nightingale, both two very real historical people

I'm hoping McKayle & Paris were suffering from brain freeze, and do in fact know that these 2 ladies were real people. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

I'm hoping McKayle & Paris were suffering from brain freeze, and do in fact know that these 2 ladies were real people. 

I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt there, too, that they overlooked the legendary/based on part of the clue - even though McKayle also answered The Feminine Mystique in FJ, despite "fiction" in the category and "novel" in the clue.

• Love 6

I didn't get Groundhog day because I didn't know it was turned into a play.  Big fan of the film, one of Bill Murray's finest

FJ was easy, though I didn't even think of The Fountainhead.  Atlas Shrugged is the more well known one, so if there is a quote about a book, more likely to be that one

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

even though McKayle also answered The Feminine Mystique in FJ, despite "fiction" in the category and "novel" in the clue.

I was hoping it was "I have no idea so I'm just writing down the goofiest thing I can think of" because the clue also mentioned "business."

Thank you to Turn: Washington Spies for having one of the female characters do a turn as "Molly Pitcher" in one of the battles. Because of that, I wikied Molly Pitcher. My memory from childhood was that she was a real person who was, perhaps ironically, named Molly Pitcher.

• Love 2

You can't be on Jeopardy if you've already been on with Trebek as the host, so it's possible that when he retires a bunch of old former players will get to audition again!

That's my dream!  

I actually saw the Groundhog Day musical and really liked it.  It had a West End Run before it came to Broadway. 

• Love 7
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Cardi B was in the Superbowl commercial where Amazon's Alexa lost her voice so different people filled in. Other voices were Gordon Ramsay, Anthony Hopkins and Rebel Wilson. She also won best new artist at the iHeartRadio Music Awards this past weekend.

Oh yes. I remember her in that.

She is engaged to Offset

And now I need to google Offset.

The champ reminds me of someone in addition to Radar (and besides tallykat's BIL and Toothbrush's husband). I think it might be George Dzundza.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

I actually saw the Groundhog Day musical and really liked it.  It had a West End Run before it came to Broadway. 

Me too -- I saw it on Broadway shortly before it closed. It was nominated for a few Tonys last year. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for prospective Jeopardy! contestants to read up on Tony nominees/winners, since questions about Broadway shows seem to come up with some frequency. (As a theater nut, I'd pray for a Broadway category or final if I was ever a contestant!)

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Trey said:
33 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

The champ reminds me of someone in addition to Radar (and besides tallykat's BIL and Toothbrush's husband). I think it might be George Dzundza.

I was thinking Drew Carey.

Roger Ebert.  Gee, I never realized how much my BIL looks like Roger Ebert! Or Toothbrush's husband! Plus my brother-in-law is from LA--Lower Alabama, so he and Zach talk alike too. I'll have to ask him where he was 32 years ago! (Zach Dark is 31 yo. Got that from a nice article in his local paper).

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt there, too, that they overlooked the legendary/based on part of the clue - even though McKayle also answered The Feminine Mystique in FJ, despite "fiction" in the category and "novel" in the clue.

It also mentioned the the writer was a woman. I wasn't sure that was necessary especially with the 1,000 page part of the clue. I guess that's why McKayle chose that particular book, just any long book written by a woman around that time even though it really doesn't have much to do with business either.

• Love 1

Paris Themman being on made me wonder about something. Don't they say the categories are at random and come up when they come up? What if a Willy Wonka category was scheduled for yesterday? Would they have went ahead with it?

• Love 1
14 hours ago, dcalley said:

It doesn't say that for me. Maybe there was a temporary mistake that showed up, plus Trebek's Jeopardy began in 1984, so IMDB might have had that year showing for the show as a whole.

I went over to IMDB again and it had been changed to 2018. There could have been a mistake that they fixed. I should have taken y’all a screenshot. Next time I see something like this I will. Sorry about any confusion. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, DrScottie said:
18 hours ago, teebax said:

Molly Pitcher

I didn't think it was fair to put a legendary (fictional) person in a category for Historical Women.  I think that threw them because Molly Pitcher by definition doesn't actually fit the category.  What--They couldn't come up with a full category of actual women, so they used an imaginary one?

• Love 6

If you're in the Chicago area, no Jeopardy today. Channel 7 has spent an hour on a breaking news story ("a (possibly hoax) call of a shooter at Northwestern U". They have found nothing).

• Love 3

I was out last night and recorded the game.  I almost didn't watch, but am glad I did just to see little Mike TeeVee all grown up!  I recognized his name immediately, but Willy Wonka (the original, real, and only Willy Wonka) is one of my favorite movies ever.  However, it didn't hurt my feelings that he lost, since he couldn't be bothered to start at the tops of categories, and had a couple of goofy guesses.

I was completely clueless for FJ, but got the TS of Cuba, Blade Runner 2049, and Groundhog Day.

Yay, Radar, winning again!  :)

Unfortunately, I'll probably miss tomorrow night, and maybe Friday.  Stupid basketball.

• Love 2