Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, dcalley said:

Here you go!

Edsel comes up on Jeopardy a fair amount, most recently last month!

I thought Lindsey had some pretty good gets: Katrina and the Waves, Charles Curtis, something else I can't remember (an author?).

Clive Cussler. One of her opponents seemed impressed when she got it, but he's a pretty well-known author

• Love 4

I also wanted to know the penguin fact hid for a hundred years. 

I knew All quiet on the western front was going to come up in WWI literature and I was waiting for the contestant to screw up stupidly by saying "All is ....."  or "All's ....."  But he didn't. 

I got FJ though I found the question and category odd, one of those where its hard to thing of what they want exactly.  But I have no idea where "tuba" came from????  I would like an explanation on that one. 

It had never occurred to me before that the root of mortgage referred to death and the word literally means "death pledge".  I am glad we use the latin for it.  I don't think to many people would be happy about signing a "death pledge" to buy a house.  Someone in marketing really earned their salary on that switch. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, graybrown bird said:

I saw in my morning paper that a local boy was going to be on Jeopardy today so tuned in with special anticipation.  Unfortunately Dom started in the middle of categories and also did that "push the buzzer extra hard" thing some people do when their reactions aren't quite fast enough to be first.

Let us not forget the mugging to the camera, at least once - I don't think it was during the first intros but maybe going to or returning from a commercial....

There's a trend I hope dies a quick death.

That, and brass hardware on HGTV but that's another board.....

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

For FJ (which I saw), I got it, but am not surprised by a contestant not knowing.  I am, however, stunned that Dom seemed truly surprised his tuba answer was incorrect.  Seriously, dude, you couldn't even get to the point of knowing that they were looking for a car?

I thought he looked surprised too, but then I decided to believe it was just him making a joke....but it really looked more like surprise.

4 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

OK, can anyone explain why it would matter if you stole from Lowe's or Home Depot if you were hiding in a nudist colony? That was the silliest clue I ever remember - what has happened to the clue writers?  Are they all wanna-be comedians?

I know, right? It didn't make sense, and I'm not sure how that made it a stupid crime (unless he wore his clothes in the colony - which would make the Lowe's irrelevant in the stupid part of it)

• Love 4

FJ was an instaget, because when I was a kid, my grandparents used 'Edsel' as a catch-all word for anything that was ridiculous or a failure. They used it as both a noun and a verb, so an easy FJ for me! Brought back some memories, too. 

I found Marty's Dr. Phil story amusing. 

Count me among those who want to know the penguins' dirty little secret...

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I know, right? It didn't make sense, and I'm not sure how that made it a stupid crime (unless he wore his clothes in the colony - which would make the Lowe's irrelevant in the stupid part of it)

Or stole from Lowe's nekkid ;-) I think the part of the clue in quotes was a hint that the correct answer was Lowe's. Maybe it is/was part of an ad slogan? 

Penguin's dirty little secret

• Love 3
19 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I had to think about shell shock, but I got it.  FJ! was an instaget, one of the perks of being old is that you know stuff like that!  I want to know more about the penguin behavior that nobody talked about for a  "hunnert" years.

I've read a lot about WWI, so shell shock was a total gimmee.  The penguin thing is necrophilia and some really unpleasant sexual practices.

I got Shropshire as well.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I've read a lot about WWI, so shell shock was a total gimmee.  The penguin thing is necrophilia and some really unpleasant sexual practices.

Wait a minute--"necrophilia and some really unpleasant sexual practices"???  I'll sell you the word "other" really cheap for that sentence.  ;o)

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:
11 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Wait a minute--"necrophilia and some really unpleasant sexual practices"???  I'll sell you the word "other" really cheap for that sentence.  ;o)

Yeah, I meant to say 'other'.  Honestly. ;-)

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Or stole from Lowe's nekkid ;-) I think the part of the clue in quotes was a hint that the correct answer was Lowe's. Maybe it is/was part of an ad slogan? 

35 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I do believe there was a phrase in the Lowe's clue that comes from a Lowe's ad. Must not be a very effective commercial if nobody recognizes it & guesses Home Depot. Perhaps, when Lowe's sees J!, they'll rethink the ad.

The clue included (in quotes) "start with" and one of Lowe's slogans is "Start with Lowe's."  It's weak though.  

Edited by GalvDuck
Fixed typo
  • Love 7

I hated today's game. How do Jeopardy contestants leave an anagram category for last? Frank drove me nuts with his leaning all over the place and running commentary. They all bothered me with bad guesses that made me yell at the TV.  

I was sooo hoping Frank would miss FJ. BTW, I know the Brady Bunch was set in California, but $350 million for that split level? I know real estate is expensive there, but that would be ridiculous! 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 16
20 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

After Alec broke the news of his cold, I said "now maybe he'll be quiet" and my husband replied "and they'll clear the boards." 

I was hoping it meant he wouldn't do any bad accents for a while...

• Love 9
42 minutes ago, teebax said:

Frank drove me nuts with his leaning all over the place and running commentary. They all bothered me with bad guesses that made me yell at the TV.  

I was sooo hoping Frank would miss FJ.

Austin Rogers has been cloned.  Of course, Frank had to win.  Instant hatred!

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 15

I wish Marty hadn't found any of those daily doubles.

FJ was a no brainer, but I guess one has to be a fan of BW tv shows to think that. Although I thought Beverly Hillbillies was pretty common knowledge, even for youngsters. I'd clear an entire BH category if the writers want to make one for me.

• Love 5

I was hoping Frank would lean over backwards so far that he'd fall off his box.  We need more slapstick on Jeopardy!  Maybe it could still happen.

Marty was on the verge of getting on my nerves today.  Shades of "voice artist" Arthur Chu.  How deluded are some of these people?  Even I do a better Donald Duck.  Actually, that's how I sound when I speak normally.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, teebax said:

I hated today's game. How do Jeopardy contestants leave an anagram category for last? Frank drove me nuts with his leaning all over the place and running commentary. They all bothered me with bad guesses that made me yell at the TV.  

They would have had time except Jay just kept talking. Still, I agree that they should have picked the anagrams earlier. They're synonymous so that would make them easier than usual I would think. 

26 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

Frank won't be the last of the Austin clones either. 

• Love 3

My immediate thought was Beverly Hillbillies, but I did the outthink yourself thing and switched to Batman (Wayne Manor. It was stately, you know).

Edited by opus
  • Love 5

Darn!  I was hoping Marty would make it to the TOC.  I can't stand Frank - leaning, swaying, arms crossed, making stupid comments - he can't get off my screen soon enough.  Emily lost me when she started laughing at Frank's inane remarks after clues.

I didn't get any TS.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 18

The FJ and the Brady Bunch answer reminded me of college

We used to play Trivial pursuit.  One of the question is "What TV show's theme song is named 'Suicide is Painless'"  The answer is Mash, but the girl had no idea, so we told her to take a guess and she said "I don't know, The Brady Bunch!" 

That answer was about as bad.  Plus the Brady Bunch is technically more an early 70s show (1969-74) not 60s as the answer specified.

New winner annoyed me. Hate it with the crossed arms. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Bazinga said:

I was just coming here to say, the new champ is like a more annoying Austin Rogers. I asked my husband "why the hell is he crossing his arms so aggressively that he looks like Mary Katherine Gallagher?!" 

hqdefault.jpg

• Love 11
44 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

No game today in Chicago.  A police commander was shot in the head downtown and that preempted Jeopardy!  Sounds like I didn't miss anything.

I'm so sorry. We had the funeral for an officer in my town today. He was shot and killed on Wednesday. It puts things in perspective. But, no, you didn't miss anything. 

• Love 2

I thought Jay Leno read the clues pretty quickly. It's just that they were so long. I don't blame him, unless HE wrote the clues.

I couldn't believe how Frank kept buzzing in to hazard bad guesses in that word puzzle category.

• Love 6

I've never seen a minute of The Beverly Hillbillies, but FJ was an easy one for me. 

Frank's crossed arms didn't bother me at all; I remember someone in one of the celebrity tournaments did that and people were ruffled by it, but to me it seems the most comfortable way to hold the buzzer for a game and I'm surprised more contestants don't do it.  I also liked his "Timber!" and "showgirl" answers, because that's how I hear them in my head, too, and may very well have delivered them that way.  And I fucking loved his tone of voice at knowing the Twilight clue; I feel the same way.  Other than that, though, yeah - he kind of bugged.

Damn, damn, damn on only getting to one clue in the anagram category; I love those.  At least we got through the word puzzles category, which I also love.

I got librarian (despite not watching Buffy, so go figure; that must have been referenced in the many that show was great/that show sucked discussions that come up in the general discussion forums) and skipjack, but that was it for TS.

I'm so tired of films being described as "chick flicks," so the "uber chick flick" nonsense in the Beaches clue ticked me off.

Alex’s Bill Clinton imitation was horrible.  I know he’s infamous for horrible impersonations, but that was bad even for him.

• Love 7

Oy, enough with the time sucking celebrity segments! Not only because we basically lost an entire category, but those fools lost all the money they had gained after listening to those clues -- two of 'em at $0 and one at -$1000. GAH!

I was so peeved about that and Frank's scenery chewing I don't remember if I got any TS or DD. FJ was an instaget.

Marty was on the verge of getting on my nerves today.  Shades of "voice artist" Arthur Chu.  How deluded are some of these people?  Even I do a better Donald Duck. 

I usually skip the stories but I could hear in Alex's voice the eyes he could not roll. Based on what you guys are saying, I was lucky to hit mute before Marty's awful rendition.

I can't stand Frank.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
because ) is not a number
  • Love 5

I liked Marty, even his DD impression.  I liked Frank, too.  It seems like robotic contestants attract haters, but so do over-animated ones.  If I became a contestant, I'd probably present a basketful of annoying mannerisms without being aware of them.  I don't even remember the third person, but I'm sure there was one.  A contestant has to be a full-out shrieking moron for me to start side-eying them.

I don't mind category jumping or starting in the middle.  If you're trailing, it makes sense to try to get a larger chunk of money on a question.  And if a contestant is more comfortable with a different category, why shouldn't they switch to it?  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, EllenB said:

It seems like robotic contestants attract haters, but so do over-animated ones.  If I became a contestant, I'd probably present a basketful of annoying mannerisms without being aware of them.  I don't even remember the third person, but I'm sure there was one.  A contestant has to be a full-out shrieking moron for me to start side-eying them.

I don't mind category jumping or starting in the middle.  If you're trailing, it makes sense to try to get a larger chunk of money on a question.  And if a contestant is more comfortable with a different category, why shouldn't they switch to it?  

I didn't think Frank was too bad. It's just that Austin's time on the show may have enabled the contestants to be more demonstrative. It is a delicate balance to be sure. I have no idea how I'd come across on national television, but I'm guessing I'd probably act like Frank as that's how I get when I'm nervous. I would hopefully more concerned about the game than being judged on mannerisms. 

As for strategy, I share your view and have never taken too much offense at jumping around. When I auditioned (but wasn't called to appear on air), they did mention that they prefer contestants going in order, but it's certainly not a rule. The goal is to win. I'm a fan of trying to find daily doubles and betting big. It irks me seeing a contestant trailing by a large amount and betting very little to try to catch up. At least try to bet to prevent a runaway. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 3

I am glad I’m goint to see Arlo Guthrie tonight and will miss Frank’s second appearance!  I was more unhappy that he won than that Marty lost.  

The only TS I got was The Time Traveller’s Wife, and FJ was an instaget.  I hoped that it was before Frank’s time and he’d miss it, but no such luck.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I have no idea how I'd come across on national television, but I'm guessing I'd probably act like Frank as that's how I get when I'm nervous.

Maybe that explains my Mary Katherine Gallagher comparison upthread. "Sometimes when I get nervous, I stick my fingers under my arms... AND THEN I SMELL THEM LIKE THAT."

• Love 2

I knew that Buffy's Giles was a librarian. There's very few episodes of the show where they aren't doing research on the various baddies in the library, at least until the later seasons after they graduated fron high school. And even then, Giles was always the guy with the books. Loved that show. Also got The Time Traveler's Wife. That's me - sci-fi and fantasy girl.

Frank was very annoying. It's not good to diagnose people from seeing them for a few minutes on tv, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the autism spectrum.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I thought Jay Leno read the clues pretty quickly. It's just that they were so long. I don't blame him, unless HE wrote the clues.

Oddly enough, I found the clues interesting (and the fact that the cars Leno collects were more about automotive history than than penismobiles). But yeah, they were way too long for Jeopardy. I agree that he's probably not the one who wrote them.

• Love 12

You renegade!!

I missed last night's show - condo board meeting. I'm kinda glad I did. I liked Marty and I'm happy I wasn't disillusioned with his Donald Duck voice.

Yesterday, my boss told us she just learned how to say groundhog in Swahili - she pronounced it for us. It was mentioned that we could clean up on Jeopardy! knowing that. I said I can't wait to hear Alex's Swahili accent...nobody reacted. I already knew they really didn't watch J! regularly, but that just confirmed it.

• Love 2

I guessed Brady Bunch at first for FJ but after thinking about it for 2 seconds, got The Beverly Hillbillies. I also got the uber chick lit The Time Traveler's Wife. Add me to the list of disappointed people who were sad not to see the anagram category. I was also sad that Marty lost but he had a good run.

• Love 2

Aw, no one knew Giles is a librarian.  That just so wrong.

21 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I'd do it just to entertain you all! I'd start with clues at the bottom of categories, jumping around of course. When selecting, I'd recite each category name word for word, slowly, adding, "please, Alex," at the end. I'd carefully scan the board before choosing. I'd pronounce "hundrit" and say "So" at the start of my interview with Alex, which of course would be boring and pointless but somehow a highlight of my life. My arm raised like the Statue of Liberty, my buzzer clenched tightly, I'd push the button frantically. Any time I could answer with an accent, I'd do it.

You forgot to do the dance or weird gesture during the introductions.  

I thought BB at first for FJ but then realized it wasn't that great a house so it wouldn't be worth that much so I then got Beverly Hillbillies. 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I never really watched Buffy, but I used to be a librarian, so I remember all of the librarian roles. My favorite is Mary's worse than death fate as a librarian in the distopian part of it's a wonderful life. We always laugh at that one.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 13

Penismobile. Ha ha ha. That's a new term for me. I'm keeping it.

Again I used bad time management and started making food (stovetop cooking) when the show started, so I only heard but did not see the intros. Therefore, Frank didn't bother me, having missed any showboating he did. The crossed arms were okay with me too, since given a choice, I'll take that over the Statue-of-Liberty-arm-raised buzzer jerking.

The Time Traveler's Wife was a clue/answer not that long ago. Or maybe I'm thinking of the reruns I watch an hour before the new episode. Those are from one year ago. This show repeats answers so contestants are smart to watch episodes one year and older.

Sad to see Marty leave. He was a good player, plus looked like so many different famous people!

Peeayebee, you are indeed a rebel. But a rebel with(out) a cause! (Flash picture of James Dean ...)

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I'd do it just to entertain you all! I'd start with clues at the bottom of categories, jumping around of course. When selecting, I'd recite each category name word for word, slowly, adding, "please, Alex," at the end. I'd carefully scan the board before choosing. I'd pronounce "hundrit" and say "So" at the start of my interview with Alex, which of course would be boring and pointless but somehow a highlight of my life. My arm raised like the Statue of Liberty, my buzzer clenched tightly, I'd push the button frantically. Any time I could answer with an accent, I'd do it.

And in FJ, even if you know the answer, write "What is Previously TV?" , and give us a little wave.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I never really watched Buffy, but I used to be a librarian, so I remember all of the librarian roles. My favorite is Mary's worse than death fate as a librarian in the distopian part of it's a wonderful life. We always laugh at that one.

Oh. My. God. Yes! Mary's an Old Maid! I've always loved the absurdity that being a single, child-free librarian is a terrible fate. That's like my dream life. Plus, it's not like George would have been her only option. If she wanted to get married, I'm pretty sure Donna Reed would be able to find someone willing and able.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

My husband and I both shouted "stevedore!" to be funny.

Context, should anyone want it: Buffy is trapped in Faith's body and is trying to convince Giles of this by telling him things Buffy would know.

Buffy - "Oh, oh! When I had psychic power I heard my mom think that you were like a stevedore during sex. W— Do you want me to continue?"

Giles - "Actually, I beg you to stop."

Buffy - "What’s a stevedore?"

• Love 10
17 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I asked my husband "why the hell is he crossing his arms so aggressively that he looks like Mary Katherine Gallagher?!" 

Possibly because, like me, that's the only position which is comfortable for standing for any length of time?  I didn't mind Frank last night.  We'll see if that changes.  I actually liked that he sang "what is a showgirl?" since I was doing that too.

16 hours ago, Bastet said:

Frank's crossed arms didn't bother me at all; I remember someone in one of the celebrity tournaments did that and people were ruffled by it, but to me it seems the most comfortable way to hold the buzzer for a game and I'm surprised more contestants don't do it.  I also liked his "Timber!" and "showgirl" answers, because that's how I hear them in my head, too, and may very well have delivered them that way.  And I fucking loved his tone of voice at knowing the Twilight clue; I feel the same way.

Me too.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

And I fucking loved his tone of voice at knowing the Twilight clue; I feel the same way. 

Same here.  I felt bad for not knowing the book (big horror fan) -- until he answered. 

I'll miss Marty.  He seemed to have a really sweet personality -- the way he reacted when he answered incorrectly was just so accepting, like "Well, I don't know everything, but that's okay." 

I'm okay with the new guy, and am glad to have a DVR -- it's showing at 3:30 a.m. in my market.

• Love 1