Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:00 PM, Conotocarious said:

Well I’m got the final DD Wilbur missed because I love David McCullough books. You could tell he thought his FJ answer would be acceptable and when it wasn’t he looked annoyed. Team Wilbur.

Eh, Kiana managed to write the entire title in the time allotted, so it could be done. 

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 0:50 PM, Clanstarling said:

I went with the White Album too. My husband got Sgt. Pepper.

I got Sgt. Pepper, even though I hate that album.  (Not a big Beatles fan in general.)

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:03 PM, saber5055 said:

The local channel reruns old shows. FJ answer was Benedict Arnold, but the winner of the game just wrote "Arnold." And he won. He could have meant Arnold Palmer, Tom Arnold, Roseanne Barr Arnold, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Matthew Arnold ... the list goes on, but you know what I mean. Using the same thinking, "Sgt. Pepper" should have been sufficient for yesterday's FJ answer.

Unfortunately, with titles, the rules require the entire title, minus the first 'the' if there is one.

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 3:05 PM, Mondrianyone said:

Really?  This is surprising.  How would they know which interrogative to use (what, who, where, etc.--though admittedly it's usually either what or who) before they hear the question?  Do you mean they can start writing after the question is revealed but while Alex is still reading?  (I'm not being argumentative--just honestly curious as to how this would work.  Or possibly my brain is still functioning at turkey level.)

Alex tells the contestants which interrogative to use, and the contestants write that down, during the commercial break before the FJ clue is revealed.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Unfortunately, with titles, the rules require the entire title, minus the first 'the' if there is one.

I would have a much easier time believing this if "Sgt Pepper" wasn't accepted as an FJ response in a different episode.

• Love 5

I got the chills from tonight's eery coincidence x2 -- Pocahontas in the Jeopardy Round, Al Franken in the Double Jeopardy Round, "Pocahontas" and Al Franken in this evening's world news reports. 

And the Aloe Blacc item was dumbed down to new levels. The clue was something like, "This 'I'm a Man' singer has Aloe in his name..."  They could have made it something like, "This 'I'm the Man' singer's first name will remind you of the plant that soothes sunburnt skin."

• Love 14

As soon as I saw the FJ category was "German Geography," I was like, nope, I'm not gonna get this one. And I was right! I didn't even have a wild guess! 

I'm kind of diggin' the champ's hideous Hawaiian shirts.

5 minutes ago, CoolWhipLite said:

I got the chills from tonight's eery coincidence x2 -- Pocahontas in the Jeopardy Round, Al Franken in the Double Jeopardy Round, "Pocahontas" and Al Franken in this evening's world news reports. 

It was very prescient!

• Love 9

Did that dude explain why he is wearing Hawaiian shirts on Jeopardy!?  As I am a grumpus I am not a fan.

Until about 15 minutes ago I was not aware that Germany even HAD states.

I got Caity of the beautiful handwriting’s missed DD but now I can’t remember what it was.

Wait a sec.  If Alex tells you what to write for the first part of FJ, what is the point of needing it at all?

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Until about 15 minutes ago I was not aware that Germany even HAD states.

Ditto.  There is no possible way I would have had even the faintest clue, though it seems logical that if Germany has states, one would be Bavaria.

Ditto also on the creepy and prescient coincidences of Pocahontas and Al Franken.

I did manage to get Dolomites, puffy shirt (I don't wanna be a pirate!), volcano, The Man Who Climbed Out The Window..., and count things (arithmomania).

Good game tonight!  I'm kinda digging the Hawaiian shirts!  I liked all the contestants tonight, in fact.

• Love 4

I missed Friday's Jeopardy! completely because of football.  Boo hiss!

I'm not digging this champ, Marcus.  There's something "off" about him.  I thought Hilary was delightful and also liked Caity a lot.

Yeah, the Pocahontas and Al Franken clues had me humming the Twilight Zone theme song.

I got volcano, Climbed Out the Window, and 1880's (missed DD).

I got half of FJ - Bavaria.  I liked Hilary's answer of Brunhilda for the other state.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Alex tells the contestants which interrogative to use, and the contestants write that down, during the commercial break before the FJ clue is revealed.

That seems so weird to me.  He actually says, "Write who is" or "what were"?  And yet contestants so often go for the wrong element of the clue.  You'd think that would never happen with such a helpful hint nudging them in the right direction. 

Thanks, @proserpina!  I don't know why I'm having such trouble processing this little glimpse into the inner workings!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

Okay, so they get "Brick" from The Middle (a show I love but not well-known, especially the names of characters), but "Puffy Shirt" is a TS???

Puffy shirt was the first thing that leapt to mind, but then I figured that can't be right based on the wording of the question -- which I can't remember now -- and I said the same thing as the contestant -- and I can't remember what that was.

2 hours ago, CoolWhipLite said:

Yup. That was weird. I also wondered if the show was taped before Tom Petty's death.

For TSs, I got volcano -- come on, a lake in the center of... what else could it be? -- Rachel Carson (a guess), and count things.

For FJ I put Bavaria and Belsen. I guess that came from Bergen-Belsen in my head. Looking on a map, I think that's pretty close to Bremen. 

• Love 3

FJ was an instaget for me, but having lived in Germany helped. It's nice of them to acknowledge there are other western European countries besides France.

I didn't write down my gets, but I know one was a DD. Count me in as not a fan of Hawaiian shirts, but the contestant seems fine. No board hopping, so I was happy.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Puffy shirt was the first thing that leapt to mind, but then I figured that can't be right based on the wording of the question -- which I can't remember now -- and I said the same thing as the contestant -- and I can't remember what that was.

A hearing aid. Jerry is compelled to wear one of these after an encounter with a "low talker." Unless you remembered the puffy shirt episode, the clue and the $400 amount contextually make it seem like "hearing aid" is a correct response. "One of these" is quite vague and could be anything from electronic devices to articles of clothing. 

Said Bavaria and guessed Baden. Couldn't think of another B besides Bohemia and knew that was wrong. 

• Love 1

I really enjoyed the movie adaptation of The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared (streamed either on Amazon Prime or Netflix), so I was disappointed nobody answered that one. Seinfeld makes me roll my eyes, so I don't care that nobody got Puffy Shirt though :) 

I had to rewind to recognize Eddie Vedder's photo. 

I can appreciate the bright shirts that Marcus wears. It sounds like he a potentially emotionally taxing job, so sometimes, we take brightness where we can.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, CoolWhipLite said:

Pocohontas, Franken, AND Tom Petty!

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Pallida said:

I really enjoyed the movie adaptation of The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared (streamed either on Amazon Prime or Netflix), so I was disappointed nobody answered that one. Seinfeld makes me roll my eyes, so I don't care that nobody got Puffy Shirt though :) 

I knew what it was but didn't remember if it was "climbed" or "jumped" out the window.  I still need to see it (or read the book); I've heard it's great.

My boss assured me that I would just  looooovvvvve   Seinfeld.  I watched it once.  I didn't.

• Love 2

For the second state in Germany, I first guessed Brittany, realized that was wrong, and guessed Batavia, which was named for an ancient Germanic tribe but later became part of the Netherlands. I would not have ever guessed Bremen, which I know only from a fairy tale about animal musicians.

I somehow managed to see the "low talker" episode of Seinfeld but not the "puffy shirt" one. I was unaware they were connected. 

If Alex tells you what to write for the first part of FJ, what is the point of needing it at all?

For the same reason answers must be framed as questions--it's the gimmick of the game.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I somehow managed to see the "low talker" episode of Seinfeld but not the "puffy shirt" one. I was unaware they were connected. 

They are the same episode, called "The Puffy Shirt". Jerry doesn't' realize he agreed to wear the Puffy shirt on The Today Show because he just nodded when he couldn't understand her request.

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

They are the same episode, called "The Puffy Shirt". Jerry doesn't' realize he agreed to wear the Puffy shirt on The Today Show because he just nodded when he couldn't understand her request.

Oh. I guess I just saw an excerpt, the scene where they're sitting in a restaurant and he can't hear her.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

So I am guessing everyone knew Bavaria and had no idea on the other one.  That was my conundrum. 

9 hours ago, teebax said:

FJ was an instaget for me, but having lived in Germany helped. It's nice of them to acknowledge there are other western European countries besides France.

I didn't write down my gets, but I know one was a DD. Count me in as not a fan of Hawaiian shirts, but the contestant seems fine. No board hopping, so I was happy.

I have to turn in my German credentials. I was born there, lived a good bit of my childhood and youth there, but could not come up with Bremen. I lived in Bavaria most of the time, so I'll blame it on that. Sigh...

• Love 3
9 hours ago, DrScottie said:

A hearing aid. Jerry is compelled to wear one of these after an encounter with a "low talker." Unless you remembered the puffy shirt episode, the clue and the $400 amount contextually make it seem like "hearing aid" is a correct response. "One of these" is quite vague and could be anything from electronic devices to articles of clothing. 

Ah yes. I've seen every ep of Seinfeld when it originally aired, and I liked it, but my memory is, well, bad. When my brother visits, he usually makes a Seinfeld reference at some point. His family laughs, but I rarely get it.

10 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I'll have to google puffy shirt. 

In case you haven't.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

For the same reason answers must be framed as questions--it's the gimmick of the game.

I dunno, I see it differently, in that when you are responding to a clue, you aren’t spotted any part of the question, so why do they do that for FJ?

• Love 3

I'd forgotten most of yesterday's episode until I came here and remembered saying "Puffy Shirt" while I was working and watching/listening at the same time. I was creeped by Pocahontas, Franken and Tom Petty being in the same episode. I didn't have a clue Germany had states, so shame on me for that. My biggest takeaway was that I'm digging the Hawaiian shirts. I'll take that flamboyance any day over hipster people who fancy themselves comedians and mimes.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, CoolWhipLite said:

And the Aloe Blacc item was dumbed down to new levels. The clue was something like, "This 'I'm a Man' singer has Aloe in his name..."  They could have made it something like, "This 'I'm the Man' singer's first name will remind you of the plant that soothes sunburnt skin."

I still have no idea who Aloe Blacc is, so it wasn't dumbed down for me.

Also, I hated Seinfeld, so while I have heard the term "Puffy Shirt", I didn't know the context.

42 minutes ago, ABay said:

I got Bavaria and guessed Bremen but when I saw Caity's answer of Baden, I was sure she was right and I was wrong.

I got Bavaria, but while I'm aware of the Werder Bremen football club, I had no idea that Bremen was a state.

• Love 3

Pocahontas, Al Franken, and Tom Petty...oh my!

Caty has beautiful hair, skin, and penmanship.

TS I got were puffy shirt, count objects (I'm numbers obsessed and count everything), and 1880s (Caty's missed DD)

For FJ I guessed Bavaria & Battenburg, which I knew was the name of a cake & the original (non-Anglicized) last name of certain ancestors of the British royal family. But, as it turns out, not a German state. 

• Love 1

There were quite a few triple stumpers today. The ones I got right were Jerry Orbach, Port, artichokes, plums, Boysenberry, Betty Cooper, Howl, and Olive Kittredge. I said squeak for creek... Judges? Yeah, I know I'm reaching.

Alex got his French in today, so I'm sure he was happy. 

I am glad Matt won. I agree with him about the grape soda.  It's completely underrated. In fact, I often vape grape soda flavored e-juice. It's a favorite! 

Fj was an instaget. 

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Ditto.

He recently guest starred on Blackish. It was a pretty funny episode. 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

I knew what it was but didn't remember if it was "climbed" or "jumped" out the window.  I still need to see it (or read the book); I've heard it's great.

I went through several possibilities - jumped off the roof, then jumped out of the window, then finally settled on climbed out of the window - but it took me a while and I likely would have said jumped if there was a gun to my head.

39 minutes ago, teebax said:

There were quite a few triple stumpers today. The ones I got right were Jerry Orbach, Port, artichokes, plums, Boysenberry, Betty Cooper, Howl, and Olive Kittredge. I said squeak for creek... Judges? Yeah, I know I'm reaching.

I also said squeak instead of creak and was wondering if it would be accepted ;)

I was sad nobody knew Betty Cooper. FJ was an instaget - I was surprised only one contestant got it, but I guess it is something that either clicks or doesn't.

• Love 4

It felt really weird.  I know of and have been in both Corydon Indiana and Seymour Indiana where 2 of the contestants were from.   But still liked the grape guy but I've forgotten where he was from lol

• Love 2

Congrats to Matt, although all of the contestants were good.  I even warmed up to Marcus.

I got (the wonderful) Jerry Orbach, artichoke and plums.

I know next to nothing about video games, but FJ was an instaget.  Maybe it's because that's the only game with which I'm remotely familiar.

• Love 6

I said Pac Man for FJ, even though it's probably older than 20. I thought Pokemon was a card game. Some day you'll see me as a FJ, category: Really Old People.

Geez, I just typed the above and Pac Man just got a scene on This Is Us! Oooh, spooky.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

FJ was an instaget - I was surprised only one contestant got it, but I guess it is something that either clicks or doesn't.

I remember it more as a TV show than a video game back then - my kids watched it in the morning before school.  I wasn't sure if it was a show first, or a game.  Distractors were Centipede (which I'm sure is older than mid-90's, as I certainly remember playing it in the 80's!), and Galaga, which has insect characters (but also from the 80's.)

I was disappointed that Howl  was a TS!

• Love 4

Instaget FJ, and I am not remotely the demographic.  I also thought it started as trading cards, like baseball cards used to be.

Congrats to grape soda guy!  Is it wrong that all I could think about during his story was Radar O'Reilly and his Grape Nehi obsession?

I got the TS of Mercury, artichokes, plums, Betty Cooper, and the surprising one of Howl.  What else do you think of when you hear the name Alan Ginsberg?  And I LOVED that Bloom County was a question!

• Love 5