Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I’m getting caught up watching after a short vacation. Lots of TS’s today, I got coconut, Gone with the Wind (c’mon, who could miss that!) Narragansett and New Hampshire. Also the DD favoring. FJ was an instaget for me, I thought building material= cedar = Lebanon. Congrats to the new champ.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, opus said:

I don't know why, but I always get There Will Be Blood mixed up with No Country For Old Men. Picked the wrong today of course.

Me too! I knew it was one or the other of those movies I never saw.

And from the FJ category, I knew it was the country with a tree in the middle of its flag, but not which country that was! Duh.

• Love 4

Not a bad game today. I wondered if Alex didn't realize it was a runaway game. I got the favoring DD, Gone With the Wind (which I'm named after), Massachusetts Bay Colony, Narragansett (once again teaching The Crucible helps with a Jeopardy clue), New Hampshire, and Paracardiam. I didn't get FJ. 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, teebax said:

Not a bad game today. I wondered if Alex didn't realize it was a runaway game. I got the favoring DD, Gone With the Wind (which I'm named after), Massachusetts Bay Colony, Narragansett (once again teaching The Crucible helps with a Jeopardy clue), New Hampshire, and Paracardiam. I didn't get FJ. 

Pleased to meet you, Prissy! (j/k)

• Love 6

I like Lisa, but I hope she knocks off the "I'll take the entire name of the category for 600, please, Alex".  I wonder why Alex didn't rub it in that she had a runaway like he always does.

I got favoring (missed DD), Gone With the Wind (why is this always a TS?), and pericardium.

I guessed Cyprus for FJ.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

I thought building material= cedar = Lebanon.

Me too, though at first I thought about gopher wood (the ark) but didn't think that was in Kings. (I'm certainly no Bible scholar.) Anyway, Cedars of Lebanon came to mind pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, opus said:

I don't know why, but I always get There Will Be Blood mixed up with No Country For Old Men. Picked the wrong today of course.

I did the same thing. ARGH! After saying NCfOM, I immediately said, "No, it's that other one... uh .. uh...." Maybe we confuse them because 1) they both have long, kind of vague titles, and 2) they came out the same year and were both Oscar nominees.

So I got coconut, Gone With the Wind, and New Hampshire, as well as the DD of favoring.

Lily reminded me of one of the daughters from The Leftovers.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I like Lisa, but I hope she knocks off the "I'll take the entire name of the category for 600, please, Alex".  I wonder why Alex didn't rub it in that she had a runaway like he always does.

I got favoring (missed DD), Gone With the Wind (why is this always a TS?), and pericardium.

I guessed Cyprus for FJ.

I wonder if Gone with the Wind is not as well known as it used to be because of its depiction of slavery. A few months ago, it was in the news that a Memphis theater had ended a 34 year tradition of screening the movie every year.

I was more surprised by people missing so many New England questions, but then I live close to the area. Amazed that Matt put Jamestown in Massachusetts.

I agree about Lisa and the full category names.

• Love 3

I think I need to get around to watching Gone with the Wind. I used to want to read the book first, but I’ve been thinking I should do that for two decades sooooo maybe it’s time to just watch. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I wonder if Gone with the Wind is not as well known as it used to be because of its depiction of slavery. A few months ago, it was in the news that a Memphis theater had ended a 34 year tradition of screening the movie every year.

I was horrified the first time I finally watched the movie that my mother would name me after a movie with slavery such a big part of it. We are black, after all. But it's my mom's favorite book and movie, and she was always going to name her daughter after the home (not Prissy,  lol). My middle name is one of the actresses in the film as well. Oy. 

11 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I guessed Cyprus for FJ.

Since the hamfest that was the Tournament of Champions, I have not been bothered by a single contestant. I haven't even noticed most of the things that used to drive me nuts. I'm just thrilled to have my boring Jeopardy contestants back. 

I'm sure this will change with time, but I'm enjoying it now. 

• Love 13

In the sports category why did they make Matt be more specific on his answer of MLB for St. Louis Cardinals?  They didn't have a problem with NFL for Arizona Cardinals.  National league seemed oddly nitpicky to me when every other clue in the category just the league was good.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I like Lisa, but I hope she knocks off the "I'll take the entire name of the category for 600, please, Alex". 

LOL... great minds think alike?

Have to admit, her attitude and manners are refreshing - however, "same category - 600 - (please)" would be so.much.faster.

There is something about Lisa's voice/smile/mannerisms that mildly reminds me of someone... a previous J! contestant? (I think)... and it's driving me a bit crazy attempting to figure it out. It may have been one of the women from the teachers' tournament.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Pallida said:

I think I need to get around to watching Gone with the Wind. I used to want to read the book first, but I’ve been thinking I should do that for two decades sooooo maybe it’s time to just watch. 

My suggestion is to definitely read the book first. The casting in the movie is great, except for Leslie Howard as Ashley, who was totally wrong and didn't want to do the movie anyway. But the book gives you so much history on Atlanta and the selfish inner workings of Scarlett's mind. There are several times in the movie when she says something that she would have never said out loud but only thought in her mind. And the movie leaves out one of her children and barely acknowledges her first child. Some station (TNT?) usually has a GWTW marathon near Christmas. I don't know why since it's not a holiday movie! 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I did the same thing. ARGH! After saying NCfOM, I immediately said, "No, it's that other one... uh .. uh...." Maybe we confuse them because 1) they both have long, kind of vague titles, and 2) they came out the same year and were both Oscar nominees.

That's what I was going to say. :)

1 hour ago, Karen885 said:

In the sports category why did they make Matt be more specific on his answer of MLB for St. Louis Cardinals?  They didn't have a problem with NFL for Arizona Cardinals.  National league seemed oddly nitpicky to me when every other clue in the category just the league was good.

I'm not sure, but whatever the reason, I thought it was odd that he'd get asked to be more specific twice in the same clue. Seems awfully generous, and seems like leading the contestant to the answer. 

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Some station (TNT?) usually has a GWTW marathon near Christmas. I don't know why since it's not a holiday movie! 

TNT or TCM would make sense, as they were both originally Ted Turner's channels. I never read the book, never saw the movie, but living in Metro Atlanta, you learn it by osmosis. Almost as prevalent as the Bible.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

That's what I was going to say. :)

I'm not sure, but whatever the reason, I thought it was odd that he'd get asked to be more specific twice in the same clue. Seems awfully generous, and seems like leading the contestant to the answer. 

I thought they were being picky.  MLB is a common abbreviation for sports fans for major league baseball and should be just as acceptable as the NFL, CFL, or other leagues mentioned. 

technically speaking the National League and American League are a bit more distinct historically and functionally than the conferences in other sports, but enforcing that to the point of insisting it would requires a different answer on Jeopardy is anachronistic at this point. 

MLB has one commissioner over all, so in my mind, same league with two conferences just like the others in the current day.  They also now play interleague games during the season. 

• Love 5

Lisa reminds me of Jane Lynch.

I thought it was a pretty good game despite all the ts's.  I got coconut, favouring, GWTW and Naragansett. FJ wasn't an instaget but it came to me pretty quickly.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

MLB is a common abbreviation for sports fans for major league baseball

When he said "MLB", Alex said "BMS", meaning "which league: National or American?". The contestant assumed he meant "what does MLB stand for?", so he said "Major League Baseball", so Alex had to again say "BMS", which eventually got him to say "National League". Now, as to why he had to indicate which league within MLB and not on any of the others is a different question.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I was more surprised by people missing so many New England questions, but then I live close to the area. Amazed that Matt put Jamestown in Massachusetts.

I agree about Lisa and the full category names.

I will confess to stupidly blurting out "Roanoke" for that clue, even though it had Puritan in the clue and the southern colonies were most definitely not settled by Puritans.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, opus said:

This, exactly! I'm so glad to not be the only one who constantly makes this mistake.

• Love 6

Add me to the TWBB, NCfOM mix-ups. But I did get it correct yesterday because I remember Daniel Day-Lewis chewing up the scenery while saying that line, and I can somehow remember that DD-L = TWBB. 

Lots of TS, not all clues uncovered, and overall the game was kind of boring, but having 3 pleasant, non-annoying contestants was nice. I think Lisa may be a one & done, and her win was due mostly to the Mozart category (she's a musician IIRC). But I will happy to be wrong, because except for her giving the entire category while picking a clue, she is likable. I liked her reaction to uncovering that 1st DD, even if she got it wrong. I think she found all 3.

TS I got were favoring (Lisa's missed DD), GWTW (surprised at TS), Narraganset, John Smith, TWBB, pericardium. 

Once I got past hair as a Biblical sign of strength (d'oh), I was quick to get Lebanon. It was the only Biblical-area country that I could think of whose flag has a tree on it. However, I thought the tree was a cypress so I would have been wrong if I had to name it. I blame being from Louisiana where there are swamps full of cypress trees. 

19 hours ago, teebax said:

Not a bad game today. I wondered if Alex didn't realize it was a runaway game. 

16 hours ago, burner said:

i wasn't completely sure it was a runaway tbh. I had to check my math.

When Alex didn't mention that the game was a runaway for Lisa, I had to check my math too. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

Lots of TS, not all clues uncovered, and overall the game was kind of boring, but having 3 pleasant, non-annoying contestants was nice. I think Lisa may be a one & done, and her win was due mostly to the Mozart category (she's a musician IIRC).

Yes, she's a "free-lance" musician, which is an odd way to phrase it. The way she pronounced Salzburg and the name of the guy who did the book (or whatever), I'd say she probably even studied classical music, and possibly spent some time in Salzburg studying. Her accent was spot on. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Gads, how did they miss "Gone With the Wind"?!  That seemed like an easy one to me. And I remembered the Lebanese flag had a Cedar tree in the center & cedars are mentioned in the Bible, so I guessed Lebanon.

GWTW seemed easy to me too, but I think it is because I watch so much Jeopardy that book + 1936 = GWTW.

I had no idea cedars were mentioned in the bible or that cedar wood was used for building. I really have no idea why/how I got Lebanon. I think it was something to do with 'an object in the middle of the flag' or something along those lines.

• Love 1

Instaget FJ for me today -- I could only think of one Roman emperor, and it just happened to be the right one! 

I had sympathy for middle guy since I always initially think Elba belongs to France, too.  And yo, end girl, Florida's not a country! 

I did manage to come up with a few TS -- cruise ship, squeal and sugar cube.  I probably got squeal from having seen Deliverance.  Or possibly also from the Little House books, in which (I think) they mention using every part of the pig but its squeal.  Who knew Laura Ingalls and family could be so helpful for Jeopardy?  That's two clues just this week!  LOL

• Love 6

For FJ, I always say how much $ I'll (pretend) bet, like "bet it all" or "just $2,000." Yesterday, the Lebanon flag day, when I saw the clue I said out loud: "I bet nothing." The answer could have been anything and I'd be none the wiser. Not that I did better today (Nero), but at least I could come up with a guess. Yesterday? No way.

I saw GWTW last summer at the big theater here, they were showing old movies for a summer series. It is quite interesting seen on the big screen.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, illdoc said:

When he said "MLB", Alex said "BMS", meaning "which league: National or American?". The contestant assumed he meant "what does MLB stand for?", so he said "Major League Baseball", so Alex had to again say "BMS", which eventually got him to say "National League". Now, as to why he had to indicate which league within MLB and not on any of the others is a different question.

The category was "In Their League" or something like that. So Alex needed to hear "National League." 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, GenerationX said:

The champ looks like 1980s Veronica Cartwright to me.

I was going to post the same thing. Actually, first I thought it was Angela Cartwright, but when I googled images, I saw that was wrong. Fortunately, one of the pics was of her and her sister Veronica.

I was very disappointed that Tal didn't get FJ. I liked him a lot. He knew a lot and seemed at times surprised at how well he was doing. I like Lisa just fine, but still, a big hiss boo.

• Love 5

I was wrong about Lisa's victory Thursday being mainly due to the Mozart category. She impressed me today, and I see the resemblance to Jane Lynch that someone mentioned earlier. I liked Tal a lot and would have been happy with him as champ, and felt bad for Melissa.

The only TS I got was cruise ship, which was ultimately not a TS. But I ran the US Landmarks, Fitness, & New Games categories, and one in DJ that I can't remember now. Common Knowledge maybe. FJ was an instaget. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

My suggestion is to definitely read the book first. The casting in the movie is great, except for Leslie Howard as Ashley, who was totally wrong and didn't want to do the movie anyway. But the book gives you so much history on Atlanta and the selfish inner workings of Scarlett's mind. There are several times in the movie when she says something that she would have never said out loud but only thought in her mind. And the movie leaves out one of her children and barely acknowledges her first child. Some station (TNT?) usually has a GWTW marathon near Christmas. I don't know why since it's not a holiday movie! 

A small correction: Scarlett in the book had three children, a son (Wade) from her first husband Charlie, and a daughter (Ella) from her second husband Frank, as well as Bonnie from Rhett. The movie includes only Bonnie.

As for why it's shown at Christmastime, I'm guessing it's because people who have time off from work/school have more time to watch a four hour movie. 

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

The only TS I got was cruise ship, which was ultimately not a TS. But I ran the US Landmarks, Fitness, & New Games categories, and one in DJ that I can't remember now. Common Knowledge maybe. FJ was an instaget. 

Said spincycle instead of soul cycle. I still think of my washing machine function rather than a form of exercise.  I'm surprised only one of them got Nero. 64 AD was the Great Fire of Rome while Nero "fiddled" (ie, did little about it as the fiddle wouldn't be invented until a thousand years later). 

• Love 3

Maybe the confusion between There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men is because they came out in the same year and were somewhat alike in tone?

Lisa reminded me of someone, too, but I don't think it was Jane Lynch.

• Love 2

Good game between Lisa and Tal.  Poor Melissa was a non-entity.  Tal had a lovely smile

I had to do a binge watch of this week's episodes so I didn't become invested in any player until Lisa, who I like a lot. I would have been OK with Tal winning too.

I really enjoyed the movie adaptation of The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared (streamed either on Amazon Prime or Netflix), so I was disappointed nobody answered that one.

That’s one of my favorite books but I didn't realize a movie had been made. It must have been difficult to capture all of the adventure in it, kind of like adapting Cloud Atlas.

• Love 1

Right. I can't remember if there's anything left of it, like the foundation of the pedestal, but if you visit the Colosseum the guides point out the place it stood.

Edited by ABay
I blame on-screen keyboards
  • Love 2
On 12/2/2017 at 1:08 PM, ABay said:

Right. I can't remember if there's anything left of it, like the foundation of the pedestal, but if you visit the Colosseum the guides point out the place it stood.

I think the statue was demolished (melted down) almost immediately by Nero's successors, who built the Colosseum as a statement of their generosity in giving a magnificent arena to the people, in contrast to Nero's selfishness in building his own pleasure palace there (which included the giant statue of him as the sun god.) According to this article, the base survived until the time of Mussolini. I was actually surprised that Mussolini destroyed it, since he was otherwise very much into ancient Rome (he saw himself as the new Augustus Caesar).

• Love 4

I think I need to get around to watching Gone with the Wind.

I have mixed feelings about the movie. Just about all of the scenery was hand-painted, not real, so I can't help but be aware the clouds never move :)

I have many romance writer friends who wouldn't agree, but I (and one of my fictitious book characters) consider the scene where Rhett carries Scarlett up the staircase "spousal rape" and I don't care how purry she looks (with that incredible Vivian Leigh smile) the next morning. And the slave dialect makes my body cringe and my ears bleed.

I agree Howard was too old for Ashley.

Funny story. I tried to hide my mom's 1936 hardcover GWTW inside my Dick & Jane reader.

I got caught.

Teacher said the book was "too old for me."

I subsequently hid my mom's paperback of Forever Amber.

and she was always going to name her daughter after the home (not Prissy,  lol). My middle name is one of the actresses in the film as well.

Tara Olivia? (Ann? Evelyn?)

• Love 2