Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

23 hours ago, illdoc said:

That was pitiful. There were too many TS today! One that stuck out in my mind was "Rice. Noodle. Fish. is a book about the cuisine of what country?" and no one guessed "Japan"!! It was the $400 clue in the first Jeopardy round...how can you not even guess Japan?!!!  Or "Uranium" after the incorrect "Uranus" in the element category????

There are a bunch of countries in Asia where those are basic staples. I guessed Thailand.

22 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I know nothing of Usher, so I missed that one, too.  I've heard of him, but haven't heard of (or heard) any of his songs.  Well, until now, of course. 

I got goanna thanks to Crocodile Dundee, and my immediate and horribly wrong response to the element named for the sun was solarium.  Heh.  I did get firmament, Adriatic (thanks, Cheers!), Toy Hall of Fame, Women's Hall of Fame (a wild guess), slow, Japan, Uranium, gaucho, and reflexes.  Way too many TS today, and still they didn't clear the board!

You weren't horribly wrong, you just went with Latin instead of Greek (which is what I did). My husband got goana from Rescuers Down Under, I went with gila monster.  

I also find it pretty hysterical that "stick" is in the Toy Hall of Fame. Are rocks and pebbles in there too?

19 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I said Desert Storm for the war that ended in 1991--no idea if it would've been accepted.

I said the same thing, and I think they would have accepted it. In my recollection, it was called Desert Storm more often than The Gulf War.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Fex said:

Question for Americans: was the Civil War clue tricky in some way? I just saw the word Mississippi, with some words that meant nothing to me, and decided it must be the American Civil War. Since none of them got it, was there a different possibility that, in my ignorance of US history, I didn't consider?

That's how I got it, a barely educated guess. I don't think there was anything tricky about the clue. 'Mississippi' was the hint to get you to the correct answer. I don't think there's a good excuse for any the three contestants not to have gotten this.

• Love 3

I agree that there were a lot of TS's in the game. The ones I got that I wrote down were: Usher, toy, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Melissa Gilbert, Uranium, gaucho, reflexes, and Erykah Badu (one of my favorite singers). I also guessed College of Cardinals for FJ. I thought it was a tough one.

Once again, I continue to be perfectly fine with the contestants. No one is jumping out at me as doing anything that drives me nuts.

• Love 2

That's why with one of them (I don't recall which one, but I can picture it), he said, "Ohhhh, I get it now," after he figured out what the question was specifically going for.

I don't remember the category, but the light bulb went on for him when "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer."  (Well, THAT's a faulty memory.  $800 clue clicked, not the $400)

Oh, here it is... Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, Tony  http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5827

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Usher was a TS! USHER! My god! You can't throw a beer bottle without hitting a car that's blaring Usher songs!

I know a few Usher songs, but not those particular ones.

17 hours ago, illdoc said:

Not to mention, but how many "U" performers are there??? I'm surprised that they even had enough to fill a category

I didn't think all the performers started with "U" - Uptown Funk is by Bruno Mars.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I know nothing of Usher, so I missed that one, too.  I've heard of him, but haven't heard of (or heard) any of his songs.  Well, until now, of course. 

I got goanna thanks to Crocodile Dundee, and my immediate and horribly wrong response to the element named for the sun was solarium.  Heh.  I did get firmament, Adriatic (thanks, Cheers!), Toy Hall of Fame, Women's Hall of Fame (a wild guess), slow, Japan, Uranium, gaucho, and reflexes.  Way too many TS today, and still they didn't clear the board!

No clue on FJ. 

Congrats to the champ again, but please don't ever wear that particular shade of purple with that particular shade of pink plus a dark blue tie ever again.  Maybe I'm not fashionable enough, but I really don't think those colors go together.

I couldn't remember goanna to save my life, although I am familiar with the lizard both from Crocodile Dundee and the Rescuers Down Under.  I also didn't get firmament, and said solarium as well.  I did get the others.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I know a few Usher songs, but not those particular ones.

I didn't think all the performers started with "U" - Uptown Funk is by Bruno Mars.

They didn't but the clue specified that the artists name would fit the category.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Tabasco Cat said:

FJ was a really tough one, in my opinion. I guessed Papal Conclave but had zero confidence. You'd have to know not only 19th Century History but probably be a Napoleanic scholar as well to get that.  "Hooray! Napolean is dead! Let's have a conference!" ... Really? Oh well, who am I to question history?

I thought it was tough, and wasn't 100% sure I was right but I'd heard of the Congress of Vienna so that's what I went with.  But if you know that Napoleon installed leaders (usually his relatives) in a lot of European countries, which I did,  you wouldn't be surprised that some kind of meeting would be required to sort out the mess left behind by his defeat.

• Love 1

The category was "U" Love Music, so whatever the response was, song or artist, it had to start with U.  There was also Under The Boardwalk as a response.

14 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Congress of Vienna was taught in high-school world history, so I thought that was going to be a gimme.  Apparently not.

I guess I should have taken world history instead of world geography in high school! 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I said Desert Storm for the war that ended in 1991--no idea if it would've been accepted.

Well, if they accepted the Gulf War without specifying the FIRST Gulf War, I think you could successfully argue for Desert Storm.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

They didn't but the clue specified that the artists name would fit the category.

None of the song titles were familiar at all, so Usher didn't even spring to mind.  I didn't twig that the answer's name should start with a "U" because all the song titles did.  I was being a bit thick, obviously.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

I know Desert Storm was *Operation* Desert Storm, I know nothing about the military so I don't know the difference between a war and an operation. Like whether if they were talking about the Iraq War they'd accept Operation Iraqi Freedom. Now my brain hurts, haha.

• Love 2

I think that Desert Shield was the run up to the war and Desert Storm was the actual combat portion, so there's that.  Also, when the first Gulf War was in progress, no one knew that there was going to be another Gulf War (kind of like calling World War One "World War One" before there was another world war--up until World War Two it was just called the Great War), so in 1991 it wouldn't have been the First Gulf War--just either the Gulf War or Desert Storm.  That's my case, and I'm waving my arms like Pranjal if I get ruled against.  And now my brain hurts, too.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

There are a bunch of countries in Asia where those are basic staples. I guessed Thailand

For the record, I wasn't complaining that I thought "Japan" was such an obvious answer that no one got....I was complaining that no one guessed any country!

• Love 8

Been sick as a dog for four days.  I did manage to drag myself out of my deathbed to watch Monday and Tuesday, but I remember next to nothing due to fuzzy brain.

Today I got Airport, DePalma, and Vertigo.

I was clueless on FJ.

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, opus said:

The printing ink question was so obvious to me in hindsight. That stuff be crazy expensive.

I got it from the fact that it was someone at HP, known for their printers, had developed it. The cost of printer ink often comes up in comparison to gasoline prices where people would comment that at least cars don't run on ink. 

That Hitchcock category was nothing short of an epic fail. Got Vertigo. 

No clue on FJ. 

At least they were close with the French and Indian War, it was the American theater of that war. 

21 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Congress of Vienna was taught in high-school world history, so I thought that was going to be a gimme.  Apparently not.

The Congress of Vienna doesn't come up much on Jeopardy! Normally things associated with Napoleon on the show are Waterloo, The Duke of Wellington, Elba, St. Helena, Corsica, Josephine, the 1812 Overture, and le petite caporal

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Been sick as a dog for four days.  I did manage to drag myself out of my deathbed to watch Monday and Tuesday, but I remember next to nothing due to fuzzy brain.

Today I got Airport, DePalma, and Vertigo.

I was clueless on FJ.

Awww...hope you feel better...they say the Flu has started early this year...I'm crazy about washing my hands. For tonight's FJ, I chose "Code of Military Conduct"..

• Love 1

FJ was a instaget for me today, I was saying it almost before Alex finished reading the clue.

8 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I think that Desert Shield was the run up to the war and Desert Storm was the actual combat portion, so there's that. 

That is correct.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Hope you feel better soon!

FJ was an instaget for me today, too.  No idea why -- I guess the "unruly" part of the clue led me to "order". 

Much better game today with far fewer TS.  Except the Hitchcock category, of course.  I don't think I got any of those, either.  The only TS I got was cock-a-leekie soup.  And I knew the Mad Hatter's hat had a 10, but I just could not remember the other number, or in which order they were.

• Love 3

So sorry you've been feeling bad, @CarpeDiem54.  I hope you're past the worst of it by now.

Today I learned that my birthday is the day on which we honor the abdominal thrust.  If I'd known that a lot earlier, I would've lived a very different life.

Someone needs to tell Kyle that it's okay to move other parts of his body besides his eyelids during the opening camera shot.  He reminds me of Jeremiah Denton, who blinked out the word T-O-R-T-U-R-E in Morse code when he was a POW in North Vietnam.  Except Kyle is smiling.  (RIP to Mr. Denton, by the way.  I just found out he died three years ago.  That was an incredible act of intelligence and bravery.)

• Love 16
11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I guess I should have taken world history instead of world geography in high school! 

Me too! We could only do one. This is why I know where Djibouti is.

Robert's Rules of Order always makes me think of The Wire. Stringer Bell's meetings were strictly run following those rules. Just because they're drug dealers, don't think they have sloppy meetings!

• Love 8
14 hours ago, illdoc said:

For the record, I wasn't complaining that I thought "Japan" was such an obvious answer that no one got....I was complaining that no one guessed any country!

I'm sorry for misreading your comment. I agree with your complaint - there were plenty to choose from.

11 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Awww...hope you feel better...they say the Flu has started early this year...I'm crazy about washing my hands. For tonight's FJ, I chose "Code of Military Conduct"..

It took both of us to answer the question. I decided the military aspect was less about the book being military than the nature of military people wanting rules. I was "I know this...there's a name in the title.... (gibberish)." My husband came up with "Robert?" and bam! we got it. I

9 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Someone needs to tell Kyle that it's okay to move other parts of his body besides his eyelids during the opening camera shot.  He reminds me of Jeremiah Denton, who blinked out the word T-O-R-T-U-R-E in Morse code when he was a POW in North Vietnam.  Except Kyle is smiling.  (RIP to Mr. Denton, by the way.  I just found out he died three years ago.  That was an incredible act of intelligence and bravery.)

Last night I said that it looked like he's screaming inside. I imagine it's tough to come up with a decent, natural, expression when you're up there for so long and you're nervous about the game.

• Love 1

One of my pet peeves about J! is that some of the 'answers' don't belong in the categories.  The answer was something like 'Michael Caine refused a part in Frenzy but later took a part in this director's Dressed to Kill.'  This isn't a Hitchcock question, it's a DePalma question!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

One of my pet peeves about J! is that some of the 'answers' don't belong in the categories.  The answer was something like 'Michael Caine refused a part in Frenzy but later took a part in this director's Dressed to Kill.'  This isn't a Hitchcock question, it's a DePalma question!

Sometimes the answer does drift, but with the amount of categories and questions they generate each year I'm willing to cut them some slack.

• Love 3

I can't believe how many of the Hitchcock answers I blew, especially after yelling at them to pick something in that category. Overall, I thought a lot of the clues last night were really difficult, and then the FJ was so easy.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, ABay said:

I can't believe how many of the Hitchcock answers I blew, especially after yelling at them to pick something in that category. Overall, I thought a lot of the clues last night were really difficult, and then the FJ was so easy.

I got 4 out of 5 (took a film history class, so watched a lot of Hitchcock), but the one were they wanted 'editor' had me clueless.  I think I said cinematographer for some reason.

• Love 2

I couldn't think of de Palma quickly enough and had no idea about the runny yolks thing, but did get editor. Not for any Hitchcockian reason but because of commentary tracks on Lost explaining how important the editor is to the process. Still bitter at Lindelof, though. 

• Love 1

I answered FJ before Alex was done reading the clue. It was such an instaget, I was surprised only one person got it, and am surprised again by how many here did not know it. I guess being involved in multiple clubs that run their meeting by RRoO made it a no brainer. I was busy during the rest of the episode so am disappointed I missed the Hitchcock category. As a student of film, I would have liked the challenge. Feel better soon, Carpe!

• Love 3

I'm watching the Jeopardy reruns that are on an hour before the new show, they are about one year old. They had another Gone With The Wind question, this one was to identify the author. (It was answered "Mitchell." You know ... Kit Mitchell.)

• Love 3

Usually when I yell at the TV they don't hear me, but twice this game I yelled out a wrong answer only to have the contestant say it! lol One was the wrong answer for Lombardy.  Don't remember what the other one was.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, fireice13 said:

I think they should have ruled that one contestant correct for her answer of the French and Indian War. That is the Seven Years' War; it's just what it is called in the US. 

It gave the dates of 1756-1763, the French Indian War started in 1754 so it would not be correct.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ABay said:

I couldn't think of de Palma quickly enough and had no idea about the runny yolks thing, but did get editor. Not for any Hitchcockian reason but because of commentary tracks on Lost explaining how important the editor is to the process. Still bitter at Lindelof, though. 

I forgot about that runny-yolks clue.  I said "snot," knowing it had to be wrong.  And then I laughed like an idiot imagining Alfred Hitchcock saying the word "snot."  Good eeee-vening.

I'm curious as to why you're bitter at Damon Lindelof, @ABay.  I have a guess, but obviously I'm wrong a lot.  Which rhymes with "snot."  Which does not stand for "pool."

• Love 4

It was a boring game to me today. I thought poor Joe was going to melt. He was really sweating! I'd like to thank Alex for telling us Peru is in South America. I guess he didn't want us to confuse it with the one in Africa. 

My gets :Calavares County, Bartleby the Scrivener (It's one of my favorite short stories. If you like it see Crispin Glover in the movie), Flavor Flav, One Republic, adverb, Hawaiian, Gal Gadot, Randy Travis, Now I lay me down to sleep, and Calhoun. FJ was an instaget.  

• Love 7

Alex read the clue about Moliere and my husband chirped from the other room “Molay really pumps my nads.”

And if you don’t get that reference you’re too young for me.  (Although not really, since that movie is 32 years old and Jeezum Cripes I am an old bat)

I said Calabasas County instead of Calaveras and wondered if I had slurred when I said it if Alex would have noticed.

Joe’s first two wrong answers were so wrong they gave me residual embarrassment for him, but I give him mad props for the Ivy League acceptances.

Angela Merkel was the only important European woman to come to me.  I love her because of the obvious disdain she shows to a certain life form existing in the White House.

• Love 15

FJ today was an instaget for me, too.  And I agree about her, @mojoween!

7 minutes ago, teebax said:

I thought poor Joe was going to melt. He was really sweating!

I felt kind of bad for him.  And he seemed so crushed when one of his first responses (I don't remember which one) was wrong.  He kind of shut down for a bit.

TS I got include the surprising one of Calaveras County, Scrivener (I would prefer not to.), adverb, Hawai'i, Gal Gadot, and Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Alex read the clue about Moliere and my husband chirped from the other room “Molay really pumps my nads.”

And if you don’t get that reference you’re too young for me.  (Although not really, since that movie is 32 years old and Jeezum Cripes I am an old bat)

I said Calabasas County instead of Calaveras and wondered if I had slurred when I said it if Alex would have noticed.

Joe’s first two wrong answers were so wrong they gave me residual embarrassment for him, but I give him mad props for the Ivy League acceptances.

Angela Merkel was the only important European woman to come to me.  I love her because of the obvious disdain she shows to a certain life form existing in the White House.

I had to look up the "Molay" reference, even though I've seen The Breakfast Club (I sat through it for a Sunday school class in the 90's). I was already too old for John Hughes teen movies when they were new *sigh*.

I guessed Calaveras County because it's the only place I know connected with jumping frogs, even though I never associated the Twain story with California. I also knew Scrivener, adverb, Gal Gadot, and Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep. 

As for European women, there's always The Queen, although I couldn't think of anything she had done of note in 2015.

• Love 3

Mojoween, you made my day telling me I am too young for you. That's a first for me and I'm going to relish it. Meanwhile, in keeping with contestants never knowing animal categories, I shouted "Breeder's Cup" multiple times but no one heard me. Of course it helps that my life revolves around horses so natch I knew that easy TS. I couldn't believe The Jumping Frog of Calaveras County was a TS. Did they quit teaching that in high school lit classes? And talk about dragging the show down by talking slowly, could Alex have made "Julia Ward Howe" stretch out any longer? I practically fell asleep during those three loooooong words. Finally, how embarrassing when Alex asked Joe, who had been accepted to all the Ivy League schools and attended Yale (or was it Harvard?), IF HE HAD GRADUATED. Holy cow. Even Joe was obviously gobsmacked by that huge pile of rudeness.

Merkl as FJ was easy peasy given all the talk this past week about who would be on Time's new cover. Sure, this show was taped before this week, but it made me feel smart.

I mean Merkel. Gah.

• Love 7