Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E20: The Deep Web

When Alicia has a chance encounter with a charming entrepreneur during jury duty, she begins to consider options outside her marriage and seeks the advice of her mother. Meanwhile, Diane's friends come to her for legal advice when their son is accused of selling drugs on the Internet.

Kalinda:   Did you believe him?

Diane:   Right up until he said he didn't want any pity.

Bwahahahaha.   Right up there with her using Canning's disability against the SA.

• Love 2

I kept thinking we'd see what Cary was up to in the FA offices since he seemed so determined to keep her from the premises. Guess he really did want her to take a day off.  Damn, I was so hoping she'd turn around and go meet The Pretty back at the bar.  Let's hope she gets some mojo back by the end of the season.   Looks like Kalinda is sussing out Lee and Canning's shenanigans. Go Diane!

David Lee ought to know that Diane is as close to being immune to gaslighting as it's possible to be. This will end in tears - his, that is.

Is it just me, or do Nestor Carbonell's eyes seem a little ... dead? There's a coldness to his portrayals, no matter what the role.

• Love 2

I love Nestor!  And damn, he's been shot down recently by Shaw - his eyes definitely sparkled on Person of Interest; and by Alicia.  Interesting that he seems to have outgrown the mob guy liner guy, and moved into the love interest for women of a certain age.  For a situation in which the odds were well stacked against him, I was impressed he even made a move.

Alicia has become an idiot.  At least her mother (who did not look well to me?) was nice to her for a change. 

Diane rocks the show:  "You can go home now, you're fired."  LOL Just absolute perfection!

• Love 1

If Diane's assistant wanted to keep working for Diane, she should have gone to Diane and told her about it, when the other partners tried to use her that way.

Alicia didn't realize she'd be noticed and gossiped about? How did she think the sham marriage was going to work? Did she think there would be privacy for her public activities? Come on!

I didn't even recognize Stockard Channing til I heard her voice.

Finn may not be an alpha type, but he's not an omega, either. He's smart, perceptive, cool under pressure, and quick on his feet. I like him more and more every week, and all the more because he's not swinging his dick around and actually seems to care about other people til they cross him and prove they don't deserve it. He's not petty, ego-puffing, or showy, but he's sharp.

Canning and Lee deserve each other. May they cannibalize each other in a common grave.

I was worried Cary was scheming against Alicia. I'm still not convince that "day off" business was on the level. He doesn't trust her anymore, and he has reason not to after she failed to inform him about the merger discussion. It kills me that she's so used to being princess that she not only feels no guilt over that, but also no fear. She doesn't suspect he would even mind that she made that play without informing him? I just don't see Cary as the quick to forgive and forget type.

I was surprised Alicia confided in her mother, and that her mother actually was there for her. I actually liked those scenes.

• Love 4
(edited)

"I was worried Cary was scheming against Alicia. I'm still not convince that "day off" business was on the level"

Me too! I kept waiting for something to happen -- especially after Cary wouldn't let Alicia off the elevator.

Reminded me of Checkov's observation that a gun shown in the 1st act needed to be fired by the 3rd. Maybe the writers were just trying to fake us out, but just leaving it lying there was frustrating.

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Love 2

Funny I love Cary and never see him truely being devious so I just didn't get any sense that he was being anything other than kind. I just don't see him holding a grudge about what Alicia did. I would think he would give her the benefit of the doubt that it was an oversight on her part due to her grief about Will. He also does want FA to work and if Alicia gets burned out and bails on him that is bad news so I saw him as genuine.

Love Diane in full on woman in charge. She is acting just like Diane would act and David Lee is a chump if he truely thinks he can best her.

I will be sad if Canning does die b/c I like his character and think he has a place in the dynamic. I really think he and Diane play well off each other.

I thought SC looked like she just had some "work" done including botox and her face was still kind of "frozen" let's hope it loosens up. I did love the scene with Alicia and her mother on her couch talking. Regardless of how terrible your mother is she IS always your mother.

I am still clearly pissed that the Kings want us to believe Will dying would send Alicia in to such a great tail spin so much more than when her whole coddled life exploded in public. I don't buy it at all. So I had really no use for most of Alicia's nashing of teeth and her love interest that had no chemistry. ugh

Eli was golden. I loved how they showed his slow warming to Finn and the wheels turning in his mind at the potential this guy brings. He went from feeling burdened with a turkey to seeing a golden goose. That was very well played out.

I thought the episode belonged to Diane, Eli and Finn.

• Love 4

I was hoping Cary was being devious, if only so he would have an actual story. All he does is hold Alicia's purse.

I wonder if Matt Czuchry ever gets his script and thinks, "why the heck are they keeping me on contract if this is all they're going to give me to do?"  They've used him so little lately he might as well be off shooting a movie.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed this episode, even Alicia's part in it. When Will was killed I was worried he was too important to lose and that as a consequence I'd drift away from the show. But now all is well, for me. Things are perking along. Alicia will recover. Diane gets to be badass and dignified all at the same time. The woman is a queen! Kalinda seems more like a real human being. It was a relief to see Alicia's mom being nice to her. And I'm liking Finn better, too. Good job, show.

I was hoping, though, that Robert Klein was going to turn out to have started Silk Road.

• Love 1

I thought the episode belonged to Diane, Eli and Finn.

So totally agree. I was bored with the Alicia scenes - trying to figure out how to watch her TV (really?), and the jury guy kind of but not quite romance -  and even somewhat the scenes with her mother. Eli just rocks, as does Diane. And I am really liking Finn too.

(edited)

I found it a little bit predictable that Robbie was revealed to be Silk Roads, in the end. Young Mr. Imbrosciano, almost iconographically fresh-faced, playing a shyly well-spoken nerdy guy with a disability? Yeah, nobody's that innocent. Though I give the show credit for not equating disability with exemption from being a scumbag, Louis Canning being, of course, the show's shining (or perhaps "seething" is a better word) example of this even-handedness.

Edited by Sandman

I am incredibly happy they added Finn to the show. He naturally links with the other key players and just works wonderfully with everyone, from Eli all the way through to Kalinda and I really, really enjoy this character. For lack of better words, he seems to ground the show. At least that's how I feel. Now please don't ruin this for me, show.

• Love 3

I wish the pressure to look "young" in Hollywood would stop. There is an epidemic of bad fillers out there! Stockard Channing's face looked ridiculous.  Even at their peak, I doubt these actresses, models, singers etc ever had such outlandishly hard, round and shiny cheeks. (Seriously, I don't get why these tortured & filled faces all shine...after the injection does the doctor apply Turtle Wax and buff them?)

I want Alicia to snap out of it already and go back to being a kick-ass lawyer.

At lease we weren't subjected to watching Kalinda seduce her way into the crime scene...again.

Zack is going to be pulled into the Silk Road drug plot somehow, right?

Dear The Good Wife wardrobe dpt- please stop putting the women in the asymmetrical neckline look.

• Love 3
(edited)

I was assuming that Kalinda had made her way directly to Diane's office from her part-time position on the bridge of the Enterprise.

Does Stockard Channing have rheumatoid arthritis? I confess my first thought was not filler (and Turtle Wax, hee) but cortisone injections.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1

Stockard Channing seems to be pulling a Meg Ryan in terms of horrific plastic surgery. Eeesh. Not good.

I liked this ep - the case of the week was pretty interesting, and I wish that it could continue past just the one episode (will it?). If the kid did start Silk Road it'd be one of the biggest crime busts in modern history, but it was treated fairly casually, I thought. Here's hoping that story continues.

(edited)

Matthew Goode's fake American accent is almost as distracting as Archie's. Though it's more consistent for now. While Alan's is perfect.

Edited by Beth64
  • Love 1

Dear The Good Wife wardrobe dpt- please stop putting the women in the asymmetrical neckline look.

For real. That was Kalinda's Star Trek-iest look ever.

Erin Whosiwhatsits on DWTS was wearing the same neckline last night, but skewed to the opposite side.  It was very distracting, and not in a good way.  Probably better than actually listening to Erin Whosiwhatsits talk, though.

Funny comment about waxed surgery.  Thought the story was riveting and then they kept slowing it down with boring Alicia and eyeliner guy.   Frustrating because they went so quick through the rest of the cast and the Good WIfe has such a deep cast.

I was at least hoping they would leave it up in the air as to whether Alicia went into the bar to meet with jury duty guy.  I can't believe she just turned and walked away.  They focused so much of the episode on them - I can't believe that this is the end of that encounter.

That woman is certainly going through some issues.  Her confusion over who she was being loyal to, as she walked away, says a lot.  She seems unable to move on and doesn't understand why.  I don't think it's so much that Will's dying put her into a worse tailspin than when her whole life imploded - I think it is just the last straw in a series of things, and while she's always been able to keep her emotions under control, this is sort of a tipping point.  I don't think she ever stopped loving Peter, and now it's like she's still in love with both Peter and Will, and has lost them both.  If that makes sense.

I guess what I'm saying is that even though she seems boring on the surface, she is a very complicated person experiencing a lot of conflicting emotions, and she's not very good at expressing them.  The scene with her mother was very touching - SC's plastic surgery notwithstanding.  And by the way, as bad as SC and a lot of older actresses look, after seeing Kim Novak at the Oscars (an image I cannot erase from my mind no matter how hard I try) everyone else looks almost good in comparison.

• Love 1

Diane rocks the show:  "You can go home now, you're fired."  LOL Just absolute perfection!

&

If Diane's assistant wanted to keep working for Diane, she should have gone to Diane and told her about it, when the other partners tried to use her that way.

Totally! On both counts.  When I was an EA, if I'd ever gone behind my boss's back I wouldn't have been able to look her in the eye!

• Love 1

Cross posted.

While I think the show is really missing Will, I've loved this backhalf of the season. The fact that this kind of unexpected and sudden loss would lead Alicia to finally question everything instead of just going through the motions of her life is very real (the extraordinary acting helps, of course). I like Finn. I've stopped sobbing through every episode, which is good. The "day off" thing was a bit odd but I like to think that Carey genuinely wanted her to have a proper day off that didn't involve her hiding in bed. If we find out it was for some nefarious purpose, I'll be quite disappointed.

• Love 1

Yeah, there's no reason whatsoever for an assistant to not tell her boss about a client call, even if asked to by another partner.  And it was a lousy excuse.  Because Diane might forget?  So what's the harm in telling her the client called and David Lee handled it?  Loved Diane's reaction to it, and not believing Canning once he said he didn't want pity.  Bwa!

Lauged a bit at Alicia's problems with the TV.  Sometimes it is too complicated with all the different remotes and equipment.  And her mom needs to tell her friend specially, don't come before X time.

• Love 1

My favorite line was Kalinda's "Yeah, he's dying and...he's trying to screw you."   Kind of sums up Canning perfectly in one sentence and I had to admit I knew the second part of her line was coming from a mile away.

Alicia's a mess right now and she did the right thing by not having a drink with Guyliner, no matter how hot he is.  Let's say she had a drink or several and wound up sleeping with him, she would've felt even worse, IMO.  I didn't like that he had 2 glasses in front of him, that he was so sure she was going to show up.

Yeah, SC's face was distressingly scary.  Also AC's hair looked weird.  He dyed it black for "Cabaret" but it looks like the hair dept added in some gray streaks.

Alicia's a mess right now and she did the right thing by not having a drink with Guyliner,

Yes, Alicia made the right decision. Despite her great Peter emancipation speech, she's simply not ready to get back out there. There was a part of her that thought if she wasn't with Peter she'd be with Will and now that entire possible future is gone. She needs to grieve both for Will and for her before she can move on.

Normally I am all in for whatever Alicia scenes they want to throw at me but over all, they were a little lacking for me this ep. Honestly the whole ep was. I really liked Diane's suspicions of David Lee and Canning. These last few eps with Diane, I have liked Kalinda more than I have in years. The Diane effect has not helped Canning however. As much as he annoyed me, at least he had some layers when he was dealing with Alicia. At LG, he has less dimension than David Lee. I couldn't get a real handle on the case though. I think I followed all the back and forths but I never could get a point from it all. It's like it just ran in circles then died. What the hell show?

I think Cary is laying the groundwork to make some kind of a move and I don't like it. When they first started the firm, Cary understandably resented Alicia and kept doing the little power plays but she brought more to the table. I don't care if the firm was Cary's baby. It wouldn't exist without Alicia. Then for awhile it seemed like he was following her lead and bitching about it behind her. I'm glad he's stepping up now but I'm going to be pissed if he decides to side-swipe it all. I can't get on board with the idea that Alicia tossing around merger ideas half drunk in a bar with Diane but never giving a response other than she was interested but would have to talk to Cary was some great betrayal. It could all be nothing but this is a few eps now of Cary giving little hints that he might be doing something shady and on this show, that makes me nervous.

I really liked two moments in particular with Alicia. One was when she told her mom that sometimes Will felt like he was still there and other times, it felt like he had never been there at all. I think is true for grief in general but for a relationship like Alicia had with Will, it would be more pronounced. She doesn't work at LG anymore so his office there is both in her past and out of her sight. He was in her apartment but no one knows that and there is nothing of him left there but what she has in her mind. I can understand how sometimes she can think of him then look around and see nothing to really show that he was ever anywhere but in her mind and lose even more solid ground. The second moment was at the end, when she talked to herself (something that is not typically Alicia) and asked who she was being faithful to. Walking away was the right choice for her right now but it made me sad anyway. I think that is also why this is rocking her so much. The end result of everything with Peter was her reclaiming her own identity and the dreams that she had pushed aside. This time, there isn't a good option in sight yet. Even when she's going through the motions, there isn't a set destination. She doesn't have that goal of getting her career back and taking care of her family. She's just drifting.

The two contrasting moments that I think were more important for where Alicia is right now were the jury selection and lunch with Alpert. She knew what was going to happen at jury selection. She knew that she could play coy and slip in like she was just one of the crowd then as soon as her name was read, all eyes would go to her, everyone would know exactly who she was and why she couldn't serve, and she would leave, status acknowledged. Then at lunch, the glances and looks seemed to truly catch her off-guard. I think that is because she hasn't grasped the idea that she is always the Governor's Wife. It's not just at official events or when her name is being called out for acknowledgement of some kind. It is as tied to her as her name and recognizable face. I think that is going to be the next step of Alicia realizing all of her involvement with Peter's career can't be on her terms. They are in way too deep for that, marriage included.

I do think it was significant that she listed Grace's age as 16. That has been kind of vague for a while. This show was originally set to run for seven seasons. That would make the end of the series align with Grace turning 18 and leaving home. I think that is important for where Alicia's journey is headed.

I had to work Sunday night and am off today, so just arriving to the discussion now.

Alicia: Who am I being faithful to?

Me: Your kids?

I didn't date when my kids were her kids' ages, and I'm not sure if that was my real reason or my excuse, but that was my reaction to Alicia's question.

Finn may not be an alpha type, but he's not an omega, either. He's smart, perceptive, cool under pressure, and quick on his feet. I like him more and more every week, and all the more because he's not swinging his dick around and actually seems to care about other people til they cross him and prove they don't deserve it. He's not petty, ego-puffing, or showy, but he's sharp

I can so see Eli coming to the conclusion: Screw Peter. This guy is the definition of grace under pressure. But we don't know anything about Finn's wife, do we?

The title of the episode was a nice double--or even triple--entendre. I've always heard it called "the hidden web," but that wouldn't have worked as the double meaning.

I wonder what Chekhov's Day Off will actually be. Maybe Cary is merging FA with Elsbeth Tascioni and Rayna Hecht? Too much to hope for?

I felt this episode was kind of a chore. Perhaps it is realistic to have Alicia a bit adrift following Will's death and the final end of her marriage, but that doesn't mean it's actually interesting to watch. And typically, the Queen of Indecision couldn't decide whether she wanted to spend the day with he mother or embark on a (potential) affair and ended up doing neither. And if Diane is going to leave (or be pushed out) of Lockhart Gardner (which will then have lost both Lockhart and Gardner in the space of a few weeks!) could it happen already? Just a bit too much of stuff nearly happening and then not.

Words I kept thinking we'd see what Cary was up to in the FA offices since he seemed so determined to keep her from the premises

I wondered about that too, but I guess nothing sinister (or at least, not yet).

Possibilities Alicia didn't realize she'd be noticed and gossiped about?

I thought that if she doesn't want her children reading about her father's affairs, how does she think they'll feel reading about hers? Granted, she didn't go through the date (and her kids seemed mostly to side with her in any case regarding Peter), but it was a bit hypocritical of her.

Although I know it's cliche to show an adult struggling with technology, I can relate to Alicia's basket of remote controls dilemma. Even though I know how to work my own tv, whenever I go to someone else's house (even my parents') I never know which remote to use just to turn the damn tv on.

I loved Alicia's conversation with her mom about Will's death. They often have such a stressful and contentious relationship that it was nice to see them relating. It was one of those rare moments when her mom wasn't trying to be the center of attention and she really listened to what Alicia had to say because she knew exactly what she was going through. I was disappointed when Veronica's date showed up at the restaurant so I was glad that she went over to Alicia's afterward to hang out and finish their conversation. Poor Alicia. Regardless of whether Will was The One or not, it's difficult to lose someone who you have a history with and who you are close to. The fact that things between them were complicated just makes it all the more confusing trying to make sense of the grief.

Eli prepping Finn for his first interview was awesome. "No one cares!" Ha!

It was really sweet of Cary to order Alicia to take a day off, especially since he hasn't had a day off in five years either. I hope there were no ulterior motives, just Cary trying to be nice.

Finn handled being questioned about his sister's drug addiction really well so maybe he's better equipped for this job than anyone realized.

Loved Diane being a badass. She and Kalinda are an awesome team.

when she told her mom that sometimes Will felt like he was still there and other times, it felt like he had never been there at all. I think is true for grief in general but for a relationship like Alicia had with Will, it would be more pronounced. She doesn't work at LG anymore so his office there is both in her past and out of her sight. He was in her apartment but no one knows that and there is nothing of him left there but what she has in her mind. I can understand how sometimes she can think of him then look around and see nothing to really show that he was ever anywhere but in her mind and lose even more solid ground.

ITA - because she's at FA now and she never lived with Will, I can see how she looks up from whatever she's doing and wonders if any of that stuff with Will really happened because it's so far removed from her life now and she has no tangible mementos. Mourning is a difficult process no matter the circumstances but I feel like she's been so confused that she hasn't known how to deal with losing Will.

I only just got to watch this ep.

I am still clearly pissed that the Kings want us to believe Will dying would send Alicia in to such a great tail spin so much more than when her whole coddled life exploded in public. I don't buy it at all.

But we didn't see Alicia when her life first exploded, we only saw her 6 months later and to me she was still pretty deeply affected then, even now she is.  And I can see how Will's death could rock her so much.  So I totally buy it.

Petty (and apologies for lateness, just catching up now), but come on, if Alicia never has a day off, who is buying all her chic clothing? And cutting her hair so sharply? And surely she goes to the gym?

It was funny to watch her struggle with having nothing to do-- and I did laugh at the buffering TV-- but also ridiculous. She's a grown woman. Take a nap. Go shopping. Go OUT to a movie. Read a book, like the ones you read before Law School.

She was acting like a toddler screaming, "I'm bored."

She may not have had a day off, but she does get weekends off, and even if we say she often works on them, we know she doesnt' always, and then there are holidays.

Felt ... contrived.

I actually WAS very interested in the case of the week, but I guess we won't see any more of it.