Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: Eastwatch

• Start Topic

Daenerys demands loyalty from the surviving Lannister soldiers; Jon heeds Bran's warning about White Walkers on the move; Cersei vows to vanquish anyone or anything that stands in her way.

Reminder: This is for discussion of the TV show only, no book talk allowed - including saying "but it's different in the books". Any spoiler from outside the books (i.e. next weeks preview) should be in spoiler tags.

This episode definitely didn’t come close to last week’s. I won’t be rewatching this one. However, Drogon meeting Jon was dramatic and sweet. He must sense that he is a Targaryen. I think Daenerys fell in love with him in that moment.

Sappy, but my heart sang a song when Jorah and Daenerys reunited. Finally, she has a knowledgeable and trustworthy military advisor with no conflicted loyalties. I cannot believe that he volunteered to leave her so soon and go on a dumbass mission to capture a wight. It was good to see Tormund again though.

Daenerys should have gone after all the major houses after they refused to respond to her call to attend her at Dragonstone and burnt a couple of lords so the rest would fall in line.

Farewell, you treacherous Tarlys. The father’s explanation for supporting Cersei didn’t even make any sense and the son was a fool. Seriously, who looks at that dragon that thinks, “I am not going to bend knee.” These men have families, mothers, wives and children. Who cares for them when they are dead? In the case of the Tarlys, Sam who has become an accomplished thief.

Good to see Gendry again. I am glad that Davos went looking for him. He and Jon should be besties.

I am done with Varys and Tyrion. They are both so full of shit. Tyrion has suddenly become a dumbass. The most wanted little person in Westeros sneaks into King’s Landing? I notice that he wasn’t crying for the soldiers Gendry killed.

Jaime is so pathetic. Cersei is so fucking crazy. She is going to burn down King’s Landing rather than surrender. I hope she kills him in the process.

I can’t take Sansa and Arya’s antagonism seriously. It is beyond manufactured drama.

• Love 11

What did that scroll say that Baelish tricked Arya into reading? I could only make out something about swearing fealty to Joffrey. Signed by Sansa.

BTW, I freakin' love Ser Davos!

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 10
Just now, LittleIggy said:

What did that scroll say that Baelish tricked Arya into reading? I could only make out something about swearing fealty to Joffrey. Signed by Sansa.

it was the note Sansa wrote in season 1-2 telling Robb to bend the knee. 

• Love 5

Not the adrenaline rush of last week, but next week looks like it might be that intense. And hey, Jon's not a bastard after all, not that anyone will ever know that unless Gilly  brought that book with her.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 4

Oh, and how could I forget Cersei's pregnancy. Gawd, the souless queen is so fucking fertile.

1 minute ago, AttackTurtle said:

"The one with dragons or the one who fucks her brother".....may be the best line I've heard on this crazy show.

That was freaking hilarious. Tormund is so much fun. Glad to have him back.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 19

first of all. the Annulement bomb was amazing. So it basically makes it that Jon isn't a bastard, but a fully legal Targ. and trumps Dany for the claim on the throne. though our Jon cares zero about it). 

my televison was giving fits, so i basically saw:
Gendry (WOO)
their plan to just... go bring a white walker to Cersei. (um. okay?)
Sam/Gilly.

and the burning of Dickon. 
:(

• Love 6

GENDRY! He should have also mentioned he knew Arya. I was hoping they would stop at Winterfell for a reunion. I'm not sure which one I'd look forward to more, Jon/Arya or Arya/Gendry.

Dammit, Dickon! Why did you have to be attractive and stupid?

Drogon knows family.

I knew Cersei was pregnant as soon as Qyburn asked if she wanted something for it.

I wish Bronn would have left with Tyrion, but he's about getting paid, and he won't fight dragons for money, he sure as hell isn't messing with White Walkers.

Sam, you really should have listened about Prince Ragger's annulment.

Next week looks exhausting in a "Hardhome" and "Battle of the Bastards" kind of way.

Tormund is still all about "the big woman". He better make it!

Edited by Popples
  • Love 20
2 minutes ago, dizzyd said:

Do I sense competition between Jon and Jorah?

There was some tension there in the looks. Jon didn't look happy when Dany hugged Jorah and Jorah seemed a bit off put by Jon. When two men love the same woman...

• Love 8

They managed to give both Randyll and Dickon a redeeming moment in my eyes.  Dickon did not have it in him to bow to his Father's executioner.  Or maybe it's because I love Tom Hopper so much.  But I think I'll miss what his character could have been.   It looks like Cersei rules with Wildfire and Dany rules with Dragons.  Each has a lot of people that wants them dead but everyone's too scared to try.  Though Dany is wrong, she does not have fewer enemies, her enemies are just more covert now.  Everyone who bent the knee to her is still VERY much an enemy.  Tyrion and Varys should continue to give Dany Westeros lessons.

The look on Cersei's face when she found out that it was Olenna that murdered Joffrey. LMAO.  One final cut from The Queen of Thorns. LMAO.  Olenna knew it would drive Cersei crazy that she couldn't give Olenna one of the violent deaths she envisioned.  Good Lord I miss The Tyrells.  As laid out by Jaimie, Olenna did come up with a clever plot to take over.   If Cersei weren't batsh*t, The Tyrells very much would have gained control of Tommen and been the shadow rulers of the Seven Kingdoms.   Very good acting from LH in that scene.  Cersei's been made of stone for much of Season 7, we haven't seen that barely contained rage in so long.

And Cersei is pregnant. I don't even know what to say.

Very interesting Sansa scene.  It was good to get confirmation that the Vale could give a tinkers tool about Jon Snow, they came for Sansa and nobody in the Vale is loyal to him.  Sansa is right to work to appease the disgruntled Lords, IF Jon were to die in the South or in the war with the Others, Sansa (if still alive) will have to figure out some way to go on.  Especially if Cersei Lannister is still alive, The North on it's own will be in big trouble.  Arya's outlook of "cut off their heads" proves she is NOT mean't to rule and is much more suited for assassination and transient living.  

IF it there weren't a war pending I would say Sansa should rule and I bet she does realize that.  When they were all "Perhaps we should have chosen you my Lady" I pictured her inner thoughts saying "Ya think?"  But she did acknowledge Jon as the military man so she knows her limitations.  She just wants control, of the North, of herself.  On some level she'll view anyone she's subordinate to as somewhat of an advesary even if it's on a subconscious level.

And I wish the conversations between Jon and Sansa had happened on screen because her advise was right.  The North will grow resentful if it's not getting direct attention.  House Stark lost the North during the WoT5K because they were inept at politics.  Sansa is still far from being a black belt but she tries and at times succeeds in recognizing opinion currents and courtly dispositions.

It was nice to see Gendry again.  Though I don't like the haircut.  Oh well.  And interesting that the Houses that were near extinct in the earlier portion of the show seem to be making a comeback.  House Stark, House Baratheon, House Targaryen.  All have heirs.  House Tyrell, House Martell and House Lannister (Cersei's condition notwithstanding) are extinct or teetering on the edge.

Quote of the Night" "I'm sure cutting off heads is very satisfying but it doesn't help people work together."  Sansa is Olenna Tyrell's snark heir.

My interest totally waned when things began to focus on the SyFy nonsense.  I suspect the writers are as bored with everything outside of the Dynastic struggles.  I bet of GRRM is too.

Edited by Advance35
  • Love 16
Just now, dizzyd said:

Lmao forgot about the Tarlys, don't even think Sam's gonna miss them.

LOL! It is so funny how after all the show did to build up Dickon hardly anyone gives a damn or remembered that he died.

Just now, NeenerNeener said:

Won't Cersei be surprised if it's early menopause.

One can only hope.

• Love 4

This plan to steal a Wight makes very little sense.  I doubt seeing a Wight will make Cersei a willing ally against the Night King.

They should have kept Gilly illiterate.  I'm not trying to be sexist but her literacy happened very quickly.

And Arya is so fricking annoying...  Sansa wasn't undermining Jon at all.

overall, this episode was a mess.  

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Aw, no moment of silence for Sam's family?

The two Tarly's went out like champs. And we need more people to bring up that whole Patricide thing with Tyrion. Lots of people have shitty parents, I think it's still generally considered poor form to murder them.

• Love 2

Sam wins hypocrite of the week award - that was right under your nose!

Arya vs LF is going to be interesting. I'm he's got something up his sleeve, but Arya's a level 20 assassin (and she wisely didn't neglect to put some points in lockpicking) now with heavy plot armor - good luck in that fight...

Speaking of Arya: She got right to Sansa there - yeah, she knows those thoughts are wrong and she can not act on them, but Arya's right that they're there. 

So is Cersei's plan now to accept the armistice and strike them in their back? Sounds about right. 

The Gendry stuff was handled pretty fast, from KL to north of the Wall in fifteen minutes of screen time. But luckily for him, he seems pretty adept with that war hammer - crushing skulls sounds like a good way to take out a wight. 

• Love 5

Sam! Pay attention to Gilly. I hope they decided to bring that book just because she seemed to be enjoying it. Could come in handy later. And maybe Dany will finally shut up about "bend the knee". 

Aw I liked Dickon. And Sam did too if I remember right. It's just the dad that was an ass.

Man I hope Sansa and Arya figure out little fingers game and finally kill that weasel. Don't they have a brother who sees all things and can clear up any misunderstandings? 

im seriously loving all of these characters coming together in interesting ways.  Finally all of the stories are connecting!

• Love 13

How could I forget Cersei threatening Jaime? He isn't in love that amoral mad woman. He is crazy obsessed. I hope he dies before this is all over. He will never deserve Brienne, never!

• Love 10

Dude.  I love this show.  At least a truncated season has pretty much made every episode on target.

Glad we didn't have to wait around about the Jamie thing.  He is really a lynchpin to all of this in some way.  Interesting that Bronn still will listen and help Tyrion.  Interesting that Cersei is "pregnant" just as Tyrion and Jamie have a real chat about shit.  You in danger, boy.  Cersei straight threatened him and he's in luv.  SMH.  

A sassy Davos is my favorite Davos.  All of his interactions were on fire today.  For his limited time, I also appreciate Tormund; there are 2 queens, 1 got some dragons and the other fucks her brother.  LOL.  Way to distill it down, Tormund.  

Gendry!  Ohhhh, I hope he doesn't die before him and Arya get a little reunion. I love the personality we got in this episode; he made a good impression on me.  I hope he didn't come back just to die. 

I like that we sneaked in the Rheagar annulment thing...am I reading this correctly?  Like, does that mean Jon is legit?!  Sam is really an important piece to this whole chess game.  Also, thanks to Dany, he got a little promo to Lord of his house.  

As for Dany's decisions...I don't know.  I see both sides of it, but clearly burning people alive isn't a good look with these Westeros people.   The Tarlys were true to who they are and I genuinely think they went out the right way.  

Jon + Drogon + Dany was really great!  Drogon KNOWS and I think, for better of worse, Dany's interactions with Jon this episode have her completely into him.  He as already smitten, so they are on even (albeit awkward) footing with their feelings.  Those actors bring out really good stuff in each other.  But. Still.  Ew.

I love all the interaction payoffs (Eastwatch jail cell being the best) we are getting.  It is very satisfying.  

Genuinely, I hope Arya doesn't fall for Littlefinger's bullshit.  I hope she and Sansa have a real talk about it and unite.  B/c Littlefinger having the upperhand REALLY makes me angry.  I actually really appreciated the 2 young women tonight; they were always different as girls, and now they have high stakes and have to figure stuff out as women.  I'm really interested in them rising up and being Ned and Cat's daughters, you know?

Edited by TrininisaScorp
  • Love 21

I don't know what to make of this episode.

I was pretty bored but as I reflect on it there were a ton of epic moments that didn't really have the impact they should have.

I'm wondering if the number of episodes they decided on are too few because nothing is breathing enough to resonate.  Its like the Cliff Notes version of GoT.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 4

This ep hit the feels and laugh bones.

Overlooking the fact that Jamie and Bronn swam all the way behind the battlefield in supposedly ankle deep water, I was heartily amused at the fact that Bronn won't let his castle dreams go that easily. 

Gendry!

Guess we got our confirmation about Jon's parentage.  I sure he pissed his pants before learning that Drogon doesn't mind being petted by him. You'd think that Danaerys would have at least wondered why her baby was okay with Jon touching him. Does she know that Tyrion also had a close encounter with the dragons and lived to tell about it?

Sigh. It's a shame that with all that Sansa and Arya went through, that their relationship reduced itself to petty sibling rivalry.  Baelish is going to have fun pitting them against each other. 

Sam is done with the Citadel. I hope he kept that book Gilly was reading. But that reveal belongs to the 3 eyed Raven, though.

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

Very interesting Sansa scene.  It was good to get confirmation that the Vale could give a tinkers tool about Jon Snow, they came for Sansa and nobody in the Vale is loyal to him.  Sansa is right to work to appease the disgruntled Lords, IF Jon were to die in the South or in the war with the Others, Sansa (if still alive) will have to figure out some way to go on.  Especially if Cersei Lannister is still alive, The North on it's own will be in big trouble.  Arya's outlook of "cut off their heads" proves she is NOT mean't to rule and is much more suited for assassination and transient living.  

IF it there weren't a war pending I would say Sansa should rule and I bet she does realize that.  When they were all "Perhaps we should have chosen you my Lady" I pictured her inner thoughts saying "Ya think?"  But she did acknowledge Jon as the military man so she knows her limitations.  She just wants control, of the North of herself.  On some level she'll view anyone she's subordinate to as somewhat of an advesary even if it's on a subconscious level.

And I wish the conversations between Jon and Sansa had happened on screen because her advise was right.  The North will grow resentful if it's not getting direct attention.  House Stark lost the North during the WoT5K because they were inept at politics.  Sansa is still far from being a black belt but she tries and at times succeeds in recognizing opinion currents and courtly dispositions.

It was nice to see Gendry again.  Though I don't like the haircut.  Oh well.  And interesting that the Houses that were near extinct in the earlier portion of the show seem to be making a comeback.  House Stark, House Baratheon, House Targaryen.  All have heirs.  House Tyrell, House Martell and House Lannister (Cersei's condition notwithstanding) are extinct or teetering on the edge.

Quote of the Night" "I'm sure cutting off heads is very satisfying but it doesn't help people work together."  Sansa is Olenna Tyrell's snark heir.

My interest totally waned when things began to focus on the SyFy nonsense.  I suspect the writers are as bored with everything outside of the Dynastic struggles.  I bet of GRRM is too.

Sansa really is politically astute and I like how she was able to placate the lords because the North needs their armies/support--I really hope Sansa's  able to keep these men on their side because Arya's answer is to just chop off heads-- damn scary indeed.  And Baelish's now setting up Arya to believe that Sansa is disloyal to Jon--please let her have enough faith in her sister to give Sansa a chance to explain herself.

I was also rolling my eyes at Arya's  mean spirited "You always did like nice things" remark--yes, Arya, Sansa's a horrible person because she enjoys running the castle.  I guess Arya also sneered at their parents and Jon when they were holding Winterfell together.

• Love 22
Just now, kitmerlot1213 said:

I was also rolling my eyes at Arya's  mean spirited "You always did like nice things" remark--yes, Arya, Sansa's a horrible person because she enjoys running the castle.  I guess Arya also sneered at their parents and Jon when they were holding Winterfell together.

I quite liked that now that we're done with the happy reunions, Arya and Sansa remembered who they were.

• Love 14

Yet again I'm not loving Dany. Too much Mad Queen (sorry Cersei) in her. Papa Tarly was a jerk but poor Dickon (heh) he just wanted to be noble. And I'm surprised that Tyrion and Varys were so shocked by all of this. 

The whole Sansa/Arya thing feels manufactured. Like what did Arya expect Sansa to do?  Jon left her to rule and she is and seems to be doing a good job of it. And what does Littlefinger intend to so here, if he gets Arya too hostile to Sansa that could backfire. Unless he doesn't want Sansa anymore? The whole storyline is feeling convoluted. 

Jaime is a good character until he gets around Cersei. Then he loses all sense and development. Only my long adoration of NCW make me dread his death. Cersei upped the creepy factor in this episode. 

And we've got wacky buddy comedy expedition north of the Wall next week. That should be something. 

It wasn't a bad episode but the rhythm of it seemed off or something.   

• Love 9

I wouldn't call Dany mad.  I'd maybe call her ruthless, and nowhere as much as so many other characters.

As the countdown to the end of the season approaches I am both wishing I didn't have to wait for next season to see how this ends, and wishing that this show never ends.

• Love 18

Sansa really is politically astute and I like how she was able to placate the lords because the North needs their armies/support--I really hope Sansa's  able to keep these men on their side because Arya's answer is to just chop off heads-- damn scary indeed. 

I think it's because they were criticizing Jon.  Either way it's clear Arya has the finesse of Wildfire bomb and if she were running things Jon would likely come back to a war between a civil war in the North and The Vale as a sworn enemy as well.  I do think Sansa wants power but she's not going to kill Jon to get it and she better be thinking of what she'll do if Jon doesn't come back.  Sansa's learned the hard way that the only person you can truly count on is yourself.  On a conscious level she trust Jon, on a subconscious level she doesn't trust anyone.

Still sighing over Dickon, he would have made a nice stud for Sansa.

• Love 17
10 minutes ago, maydaymayday said:

Cercei cannot be pregnant.  It is not in the  prophecy. Either she is wrong/lying or she dies before its born.

I forgot about that. Hopefully, it will be "The Change". That might wipe the perma-smirk from her face.

1 minute ago, Advance35 said:

In the eyes of the nobility, that would have been a smart match. I'm kind of hoping she gets with Pod.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

how could I forget Cersei's pregnancy.

My thought was "How conveeenient" and that Qyborn might have helped find a convenient stud and Jamie....shall will it to be his, if it exists at all.

24 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

As laid out by Jaimie, Olenna did come up with a clever plot to take over.

IRRC Oleanna didn't tell Jamie why, he figured that out, all by his lonesome.

3 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

Or, more likely for GOT, a stud for Stansa AND DENYS and maybe even Brienne.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Popples said:

I forgot about that. Hopefully, it will be "The Change". That might wipe the perma-smirk from her face.

In the eyes of the nobility, that would have been a smart match. I'm kind of hoping she gets with Pod.

I'm hoping for anyone who treats her well.  

• Love 5

I absolutely loved the scene with Jon and Drogon getting up close and personal.  Nice touch with Jon taking his glove off to feel Drogon

I am guessing that Sam is still in the dark about his brother and father and that he is now the head of the Tarly House.

We, the audience, now have confirmation that Rhaegar annulled his marriage to his wife to marry Lyanna but because of Sam's hissy fit, he didn't listen to Gilly.  At this point I think the only way Jon will learn of his father is from Holland Reed or is something is in the crypt of Winterfell.  Maybe Gilly kept that book for reading material.

I did like how Gendry and The Brotherhood with The Hound all showed up at Eastwatch. in time to help Jon.  I have to say that I dearly enjoy Richard Dormer who plays Beric Dondarrion.  He played crazy and creepy so well in FORTITUDE.  How does Beric get his sword to flame like that?  It can't be the Sword of Dawn (Ithink that's what it is called), can it?

The actor playing Gendry, Joe Dempsie, sure has matured since the beginning of GOT....I almost didn't recognize him.  I hope he uses that nice big hammer on Littlefinger!  See....I am very hopeful that most of the men return to Eastwatch and then Winterfell.

I highly doubt that Cersei is pregnant.  I hope it is only a ruse to keep Jaime under her thumb.  I may hate Cersei but the woman is crazy smart and definitely takes after her father.

• Love 9

Gendry!  Part of me wishes they kept Joe Dempsie's name out of the main credits, but I still loved the reveal.  And Davos pretty much breaking the fourth wall and making a remark about how he'd thought he was still rowing.  Love that he is finally entered into the fray and I hope he at least makes it through Operation Kidnap White Walker, so he can get to Winterfell and reunite with Arya.  He might be the only one who could get her to chill on the whole "stab happy assassin" thing.

Yikes, Daenerys doesn't believe in taking prisoners but you either have to join her team or suffer a very unpleasant death.  Granted, I can understand why she doesn't want to take anyone prisoner and I guess just letting them go isn't really an option, but that is getting very close to ruthless leader territory.  And can she really trust the Lannister soldiers that did "join" her.  I can see at least some of them trying to sabotage them somehow.  A whole lot of moving pieces here and as much as I like Dany, I'm not sure she's adapt to handling it.  Tyrion and Varys really need to quit fretting though and actually be her advisors.

Jorah has now made his grand return and a love triangle of all things has seemed to form, as it seems like Dany might finally return his feelings on some level (just had to take him getting Greyscale to do so!), but there is totally something going on with her and Jon, and I guess the question is what will win out: Jorah's soothing voice or Jon's perfect brooding skills.

Not surprised Jaime (and Bronn) made it out, but I'm glad Jaime made time to tell Cersei what Olenna told him. Lena Headey's reaction was perfect: subtle but you can just see the rage that was in her after finding out the Queen of Thorns was who took out her crazy-ass son and got one final dig in her.  Meanwhile, Jaime and Tyrion reunite and Jaime even backs him (yay!), but then when Cersei's all "I'm pregnant, brother!", he gets all lovey-dovey with her again (boo!)  I do fee like Cersei flaunting the relationship all over the place is going to come back on her somehow.  And if there is an after-life, somewhere Tywin is throwing things after hearing Cersei use his own words to justify her and Jaime's relationship.  He's no doubt yelling "That is not what I meant, you fools!"  While Olenna just smirks and sips on after-life wine, while watching him freakout.

Sam is finally tired of this Maester shit, grabs a bunch of books, and bails with Gilly.  Hope he reunites with Jon, but I wonder how he will take what happen to his family.  I doubt he'll shed a tear about Randyll, but it seemed like he and Dickon were on decent terms.  Meanwhile, Gilly of all people drops a huge bombshell that Rhaeger got an annulment and legally married Lyanna, so Jon might actually have legal claim to the throne, now?  That is really going to piss Dany off, or it might make the thing between them get even hotter.  Or perhaps both.

Littlefinger has got a scheme cooked up, and Arya is playing into his hand.  Not entire sure what is going on, but it looks like he's trying to pit her against Sansa? Granted, Arya isn't doing herself any favors at the moment.  Poor Sansa.  Instead of a happy reunion, you have to deal with your judgemental, assassin sister and your creepy, psychic brother.  At least they'll never be as bad as Ramsay!

Davos is the MVP for bringing Gendry back into things and his general reactions to neither Jon or Gendry doing what he suggested.  Runner up is easily Tormund due to his reactions, his line about Cersei and Dany, and just being his normal awesome self.

Operation Kidnap White Walker certainly is stacked: Jon, Gendry, Jorah, Tormund, The Hound, and the rest of the Brotherhood of Banners.  On one hand, the interaction between that group should be epic (they better have some snark off between Tormund and The Hound), but on the other hand, I have a bad feeling that at least one or two of these guys won't be making it back.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 13