Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: Eastwatch

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Sewing those amazing outfits Dany seems to conjure up out of thin air? 

Speaking of that, where the hell is everybody else? Where are the ships moored, where are the Dothraki camped? Why are there no servants, activity or anything else that would indicate a functioning castle and tens of thousands of people in the near vicinity? How are those huge dragons being fed? In case you can't tell, I focus way too much on irrelevant details...

• Love 6
1 minute ago, BitterApple said:

Speaking of that, where the hell is everybody else? Where are the ships moored, where are the Dothraki camped? Why are there no servants, activity or anything else that would indicate a functioning castle and tens of thousands of people in the near vicinity? How are those huge dragons being fed? In case you can't tell, I focus way too much on irrelevant details...

We saw the dragons scooping up fish from the ocean last season (not as crunchy as little shepherd boys but since Mom had problems with that...) so I can handwave that away. But the rest is a mystery - who's keeping the place running? In Winterfell we Sansa running around frantically trying to stack up food, ordering servants to and fro and doing her own damn sewing but Dragonstone seems to run on House Elves.

• Love 4

The dragons are huge. If they were living on fish, they would have to spend most of their awake time fishing. yet all we see them do is fly around in cicles. I even toyed with the idea that all those rows of teeth they have work like baleen for straining plankton out of the water, but, again, it would require a lot of straining time each day. Two or three of them could kill and share a whale, but how long would a group of whales stay in one place if they were being attacked by dragons all the time? If just one time we saw a boat full of sheep or something arrive for their daily feeding it would go a long way toward explanation.

Somebody I work with insists that the Dothraki must all be master hairdressers, so that's who's been attending to Dany and Missendei and possibly Jon. Hopefully when Ser Friendzone comes back he can get a makeover from them and finally close the deal. I don't think Dothraki are great tailors, though. The clothes are being bought or looted or collected as tribute.

Cooking? I have no idea. Dothraki cuisine is pretty much nothing but horsemeat, and if Tyrion was in charge of food they'd be living on wine, more wine, and whatever the Westerosi equivalent is of cold Spaghetti-O's. Perhaps Missendei and Varys take turns. And miscellaneous cleanup is done by whoever Danaerys is angry at. Hopefully the dragons burn their own poop up after they use the little monster's room.

And... thinking about that last topic... now I want to see someone try to use the scorpion, miss, and get buried under a giant dragon poop. Because I'm twelve.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 13
52 minutes ago, CletusMusashi said:

Somebody I work with insists that the Dothraki must all be master hairdressers, so that's who's been attending to Dany and Missendei and possibly Jon. Hopefully when Ser Friendzone comes back he can get a makeover from them and finally close the deal. I don't think Dothraki are great tailors, though. The clothes are being bought or looted or collected as tribute.

Cooking? I have no idea. Dothraki cuisine is pretty much nothing but horsemeat, and if Tyrion was in charge of food they'd be living on wine, more wine, and whatever the Westerosi equivalent is of cold Spaghetti-O's. Perhaps Missendei and Varys take turns. And miscellaneous cleanup is done by whoever Danaerys is angry at. Hopefully the dragons burn their own poop up after they use the little monster's room.

My posts definitely want to smoke whatever your posts are smoking!!!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, MissLucas said:

We saw the dragons scooping up fish from the ocean last season (not as crunchy as little shepherd boys but since Mom had problems with that...) so I can handwave that away. But the rest is a mystery - who's keeping the place running? In Winterfell we Sansa running around frantically trying to stack up food, ordering servants to and fro and doing her own damn sewing but Dragonstone seems to run on House Elves.

Another logistical issue is how are the Unsullied going to be fed?

And all of Dany's forces should be making heavy winter coats, which may be alien to people from Essos.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, scrb said:

And all of Dany's forces should be making heavy winter coats, which may be alien to people from Essos.

Not to worry - IKEA got them covered. Those instructions shouldn't be too taxing ever for the Dothraki. But I'm okay with all of them freezing to death - not a fan.

The Unsullied are nibbling away on what's stored in the ladders of Casterly Rock.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

How are those huge dragons being fed?

I imagine they are circling like buzzards, looking for things to eat. Reptiles can eat dead things, so maybe they're looking for horses and cattle. Also, I don't think reptiles need to eat every day. 

The armies should be busy making more weapons. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

Hopefully the dragons burn their own poop up after they use the little monster's room.

It's all a circle of life.  They burn down the fields.  Then they lay down the fertilizer so the crops can grow again.

Why waste the poop.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

The dragons are huge. If they were living on fish, they would have to spend most of their awake time fishing. yet all we see them do is fly around in cicles. I even toyed with the idea that all those rows of teeth they have work like baleen for straining plankton out of the water, but, again, it would require a lot of straining time each day. Two or three of them could kill and share a whale, but how long would a group of whales stay in one place if they were being attacked by dragons all the time? If just one time we saw a boat full of sheep or something arrive for their daily feeding it would go a long way toward explanation.

To be fair we don't know what inhabits the oceans in their world. Maybe they are catching whales? All three could probably feed off of one whale for a bit. Reptiles can sustain themselves on a large meal for a while. Of course the dragons do seem to expend more energy flying than normal reptiles. And producing fire should require a lot of energy via food or at least a lot of food after they use a lot of fire.

• Love 1
On 8/16/2017 at 3:42 PM, Haiti D said:

To me, it seems that she thought abandoning him was, in effect, killing him.

Very true... and that's one problem with the fast pacing of this current season is that potential scenes like you describe will never be fit in, even if they wanted to do it.

The Hound was begging her to kill him.  At the time, it seemed like she might have refused because she didn't want to give him a relatively quick and painless death.  But, when the waif was questioning her she admitted that she had taken the Hound off her list.  The waif asked if Arya no longer wanted the Hound to die and she replied, "She did and she did not." The waif replied, "She sounds confused." Arya replied, "She was."   

13 hours ago, ennui said:

I imagine they are circling like buzzards, looking for things to eat. Reptiles can eat dead things, so maybe they're looking for horses and cattle. Also, I don't think reptiles need to eat every day. 

The armies should be busy making more weapons. 

The dragons s eat  various types of meat roasted by their fire, including fish, sheep, and  apparently at least one 3 year old girl. (though it it possible Drogon was framed by Dany's enemies for that).  Given that they only eat cooked food, I'm not sure they would eat carrion.   I would think they would only eat fresh, roasted meat. 

• Love 1

Maybe the Children of the Sea, aka the whales, are trying to join the fight against the White Walkers, but whenever they send an ambassador to Dragonstone it gets eaten. Things will get even worse when the Chicken of the Sea tries to join as well, and meets The Hound.

• Love 10
On 8/14/2017 at 0:29 AM, BitterApple said:

I'm kind of surprised Dany let Jorah go with Jon, especially considering Tyrion is proving to be useless as a military strategist. 

I don't know what it is about Beric Dunderion, but I find him strangely alluring. 

I understand the timeline is moving at warp speed, but it was somewhat jarring to go from a huge battle to "let's draw a truce" all in the course of one episode. 

My favorite part of the episode was the scene at Eastwatch. Having Jon, Jorah, Tormund, Beric, Thoros, Gendry and the Hound all in one place was just all kinds of awesome. The only sad part is, I don't think all of them will make it back alive.

It's Berics Voice! When he's speaking close your eyes and listen to his voice, that's what's alluring i totally get it.

• Love 4

Miss Lucas

i was wondering the the same when Dany first got to Dragonstone. Wouldn't their be a lot of homeless or wouldn't Stannis's old staff still be living there? They need a full kitchen staff just for Dany and her honorary guests. Sheets beds etc. they had all of that with Stannis but it would need washing. I suppose Dany has Dothraki hand maidens? All the men are fighting so I guess the women are doing women's work. But the Dothraki women are used to living as nomads so it would be an adjustment to live in a castle.

why is Podrick still getting his ass kicked by Brienne if she's been training him for two years?

• Love 1
On 8/13/2017 at 9:01 PM, SimoneS said:

Sappy, but my heart sang a song when Jorah and Daenerys reunited. Finally, she has a knowledgeable and trustworthy military advisor with no conflicted loyalties. I cannot believe that he volunteered to leave her so soon and go on a dumbass mission to capture a wight. It was good to see Tormund again though.

I was so happy to see Jorah! It was such a great moment when he returned. I don't really understand why anyone would volunteer for this bizzare mission. What is their plan? The dead march together. Are they going to grab one and run really fast? 

On 8/13/2017 at 9:20 PM, TrininisaScorp said:

A sassy Davos is my favorite Davos.  All of his interactions were on fire today.  For his limited time, I also appreciate Tormund; there are 2 queens, 1 got some dragons and the other fucks her brother.  LOL.  Way to distill it down, Tormund.  

Gendry!  Ohhhh, I hope he doesn't die before him and Arya get a little reunion. I love the personality we got in this episode; he made a good impression on me.  I hope he didn't come back just to die. 

I love all the interaction payoffs (Eastwatch jail cell being the best) we are getting.  It is very satisfying.  

Genuinely, I hope Arya doesn't fall for Littlefinger's bullshit.  I hope she and Sansa have a real talk about it and unite.  B/c Littlefinger having the upperhand REALLY makes me angry.  I actually really appreciated the 2 young women tonight; they were always different as girls, and now they have high stakes and have to figure stuff out as women.  I'm really interested in them rising up and being Ned and Cat's daughters, you know?

Tormond's request for clarification was absolutely amazing. It was great to see so many characters get together, and to get Gendry back. The Eastwatch jail scene had me laughing so hard I had to pause it. Hey, I hate you. Hey, I hate him! 

I really really really don't want Arya to fall for Littlefinger's bs either. I like the idea of them combining their talents. It would be way more boring to see them torn apart. 

On 8/13/2017 at 10:16 PM, Couver said:

A little too convenient how Bronn and Jamie made it out. Neither looked to be in shape to swim to safety. I wanted to see them prisoners to see more interaction with Tyrion. I was glad to see that Bronn at least is fond of both brothers and isn't on board with dying for Cersei. I hope he switches to the winning side.

I definitely read this as Bronn and Jamie made out and thought I had missed a key scene. I don't really understand how they purportedly got to the other side, especially with Jamie falling with no attempts to swim. 

On 8/13/2017 at 10:30 PM, CletusMusashi said:

Actually, she's already had four kids, so the prophecy is already a tad wonky. Remember back in the pilot, when she told Cat about the black-haired child of Robert who died as an infant? Or, based on the show's insistance on treating Gendry as important... probably not so dead. "Hmf! I refuse to raise the children of anyone except my own twin, because I'm a narcissisitic weirdo that way... hey, you, random forgotten minion guy, go deliver this baby to the sausage factory or whatever it is we do here..." "Yes, My Queen!" followed by a sort of Snow White schtick where he secretly lets the baby live and grow up to be a pain in the ass. But even if that hypothesis is way ovethinking it, she's still already had four babies.

Hopefully this time she dies giving birth to it. And it's a dwarf. And as soon as it's born it drinks all her wine and kicks Jaime out the window.

Or, alternately, maybe she's been cheating on her brother with FrankenMountain. It'll weigh thirty pounds, have a full set of teeth, and come smashing out of her yelling "Oh YEAH!" And then it'll rampage around the bedroom smacking Jaime and Euron's heads together like coconuts. Hey, still more likeable than Joffrey...

Seriously, this entire post has me giggling. I love the alternative baby options. Still more likeable than Joffrey. 

On 8/13/2017 at 10:45 PM, BitterApple said:

All I have to say is really Sam? Really?! Gilly mentions an annulment concerning a Prince Rhaegar and you don't think that's information worth looking into? I get that he doesn't know about Jon, but the Targaryens were a pretty big deal. You'd think his curiosity would've been peaked regardless. 

My favorite lines of the night:

Davos: "This is Clov-"

Gendry: "Hi, I'm Gendry, Robert Baratheon's bastard".

It was a big deal, but not relevant and he was clearly caught up in what had happened earlier. I like to think he felt a little bad as he looked at all those stairs. Even if he had paid attention, it wouldn't have made a difference as far as he was concerned. I am sure it will come back at some point. 

I also loved the meeting of Jon and Gendry. I do wish they would all compare notes. Surely there is some down time during travel. It would have been nice for Ser Jorah to say, "oh, you served with my dad? So did the guy who healed me." Or Gendry to say "You know, I knew another Stark. . . . "

On 8/13/2017 at 11:04 PM, Calamity Jane said:

I have to say that Jorah's new duds looked really good on him.  And he looked much as he did before the greyscale, so good job everyone for first making him look less well, and now more healthy.  It wasn't just the lesions of the greyscale, he just overall looked more ragged and less splendid, and now he's back to looking magnificent.    

He did look nice. Even Dany seemed to notice. I would love to see a day in the prop and makeup room for this show.

On 8/13/2017 at 11:51 PM, Lady S. said:

Yep, bend the knee or die sounds more like Stannis than Aerys to me. Except dragonfire turns people to ash in moments, which is a lot faster than Shireen or her Florent uncle would have died. Dany singled out the commander as an example, while other men were still standing beside him, because he was the most treasonous, and she still didn't rule out the possibility of letting him redeem his treason at the Wall. I don't count Randyll not wanting Dickon to die as a redeeming moment after he threatened to murder his elder son and said he'd enjoy doing it, especially considering he's the one who put Dickon in danger from dragons by betrayed House Tyrell, to serve the woman who murdered House Tyrell. And when Dickon literally asked to die when Dany wasn't even threatening him, out of loyalty to a shitty father who didn't even want them to die together, well, then, I can't find too much sympathy for his dumb ass either, no matter how hot he he was already before experiencing the heat of dragonfire.

Let's dig the irony of Robert Baratheon's bastard befriending Ned Stark's, neither knowing that Jon's bio father was actually killed by Robert and he was only claimed as his uncle Ned's son so that Robert wouldn't kill him too.

Updated.

YAY, I CAN FINALLY LOOK AT THIS AND IT IS EVERYTHING. I agree on the Tarlys. Randyll was a terrible person, and he refused to consider taking any action that might have saved his son, despite turning on the house to which he had pledged allegiance. I feel a little sorrier for Dickon, who seemed like an okay guy, but even his awful father (the one who threatened to kill his firstborn) gave him an out, so it is a little hard to work up much sympathy. 

On 8/14/2017 at 2:22 AM, HunterHunted said:

Tormund, we know you know exactly what Brienne's name is. Don't try to play coy. You want to take that big warrior maiden and turn her into a big warrior woman. 

Heh. This was another great moment. I am enjoying watching these characters come together. The GOT world is getting smaller.

On 8/14/2017 at 10:36 AM, BitterApple said:

Regarding Dany and the Tarlys, I don't think she had much choice. Not following through on a threat would make her look weak, and she only killed them as a last resort after giving them three chances to bend the knee. Tarly Sr's ego and foolish pride were what got him and his son killed. Even when Dany said "dracarys" it was done half-heartedly, like she wasn't getting any pleasure out of it, but had no alternative. 

I think, for me, she legitimately did what she could to mitigate the damage and that is the best you are going to get for a ruler in this world. She gave them more than one opportunity, she seemed to consider the wall, and she got absolutely no joy out of the execution. The raw moment she had with Jon after, in which it was clear she did not enjoy shows of force, was very telling. She wants to rule and she doesn't believe there is any way to do so that doesn't involve some bloodshed. However, she didn't cook all the survivors, and she pulled out the leader first to see if she could convince the others with a singular show of force, and she even gave both of them ample opportunity to change their mind. Contrast this with Cersei, who blew up a ton of innocents just to get at her enemies, or Joffrey who cut off Ned's head even though he agreed to bend the knee. 

On 8/14/2017 at 10:43 AM, One Tough Cookie said:

ooh--it that what we're calling it now? ;)

Since about 2008, or so.

2679984721_6819ecb7e5.jpg 

On 8/14/2017 at 1:53 PM, Absurda said:

Shout out to Davos for coming prepared with the fermented crab. Also loved his comment about thinking Gendry was still out there rowing somewhere

I don't think the Varys/Tyrion hand wringing had to do with the death of Tarly so much as the optics of having the current and future house leaders flambeed by dragon fire (someone else up thread, sorry can't remember who, talked about the optics as well). It's like Dany is living up to (or down to) Westeros's worst expectations of her. The whole kneel or die thing was tone deaf in comparison to what she'd said before that. It think she's behaving (mostly) in line with othe Westerosi rulers, but the whole selling point that Tyrion and others have pushed is that she's different, a better choice, not more of the same.

The comment about Gendry was pure gold. I can see the concern about the optics, though I do think that the execution looked to be substantially quicker than the other methods we have seen. That being said, as noted above I think she behaved in a way that mitigated damages far more than prior rules.

On 8/15/2017 at 3:13 AM, Lady S. said:

I liked how not long after that Davos pointed out that Tyrion killed his son with wildfire. I guess Tyrion never got the chance to walk through ashes after Blackwater and mourn soldiers who fought for House Baratheon instead of House Lannister.

It was a good reminder that alliances shift and that everyone is carrying a lot of baggage at this point, wasn't it? 

On 8/15/2017 at 10:38 AM, scrb said:

So have Jaime and Bron concluded that they don't have a weapon for the dragons?

After all Scorpion did hurt Dragon for awhile.

You'd think Jaime would report that to Cersei and Qyburn, tell them to have several Scorpions ready to go?

Instead Jaime was all "we have no chance" and Bron was "I'm not fighting dragons again."

They did lose a big chunk of their army but still ...

You'd also think the Iron Bank might reconsider backing Cersei after the reports of what happened to the Lannister army and the loot train?

I thought it was really telling that Jamie thought they had no chance. The sheer destruction that the Dragon could rain down upon the battlefield had to be like nothing they had ever seen, but I also appreciated that he recognized that the Dothraki are warriors. While the Scorpion did hurt Drogon, it didn't take him out completely. There are three dragons, and their best chance was probably before Danaerys knew about the Scorpion. At best, they were going to be stuck buying a bunch of mercenaries who would have to defeat an aerial attack and a group of vicious warriors.

On 8/15/2017 at 1:19 PM, Bats27 said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but marriages here cannot be annulled if there's children right?  So how could Rhaegar (who had children with Elia Martell) annul his marriage to her?

This may be asked and answered for you, but annulment is still very much a legal way to dissolve a marriage and lack of consummation is only one of the reasons you can seek an annulment. Each state has different reasons (and religions vary as well), but other common causes are: fraud or misrepresentation,  incest, bigamy, and issues of capacity). I believe most religions recognize an even broader range of reasons. Annulment was more common before no fault divorce became both prevalent and acceptable, but it is still around today and still available for several reasons outside of consummation.

Y'all, I am so excited I have finally caught up! 

• Love 5
On 8/17/2017 at 10:40 AM, BitterApple said:

I actually questioned this a few episodes ago.  Especially since we saw how big the horde of Dothraki last season compared to how small Dragonstone is.  These are thousands of men and horses.

Also, where the hell is Ghost ????

Edited by DarkRaichu
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, DarkRaichu said:

I actually questioned this a few episodes ago.  Especially since we saw how big the horde of Dothraki last season compared to how small Dragonstone is.  These are thousands of men and horses.

Follow up series: While We Were Waiting - the lives of the soldiers, servants, and sell-swords in between the battles. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

Also, where the hell is Ghost ????

I'm happy others have wondered about the logistics as well. At this point they've been there for months. I would've expected to see Dragonstone a bit more established other than the obligatory crew and a few random Dothraki. I guess it's one of those things where TPTB aren't going to waste budget money on staging, but for the OCD nitpickers like myself, it kind of grates.

• Love 3

Not much time left for random thoughts about this one. So, what's left?

1. I feel slightly cheated that we didn't see how The Houndketeeers actually got captured. Were they so distracted arguing about topknots that they got surounded by thirty spearmen? 'Cause.. I'm totally OK with that! I just wish we'd gotten to see it happen.

2. MVP of the week is Ser Davos. I mean, we kept on hearing that he was a great smuggler. But what the hell do most of us know about smuggling? I figured he was a really good sailor who could naviagte well at night and/or in difficult weather, and who knew enough other smugglers that he was aware of a lot ways to sneak a boat into unexpected places. And we also knew that he was a rational, charismatic, intelligent man who could handle talking to bureaucrats. But this week showed that the he's not a good smuggler and also a diplomat. He's a good smuggler because he's a diplomat.

3. What does Littlefinger even do? Is he just a wandering pimp who shows up at castles to randomly screw with people? Is there a Castle Baelish somewhere that he is supposed to be in charge of? Can Arya just kill him, take his face, and take over Castle Baelish?

• Love 11
16 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Follow up series: While We Were Waiting - the lives of the soldiers, servants, and sell-swords in between the battles. 

Would love to see how the Greyjoys crews react to Euron's warp engine. What effect does lightspeed travel have on crews' stomachs? How many throw up? Does it get easier the more they use the warp speed?

• Love 5
9 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

Not much time left for random thoughts about this one. So, what's left?

1. I feel slightly cheated that we didn't see how The Houndketeeers actually got captured. Were they so distracted arguing about topknots that they got surounded by thirty spearmen? 'Cause.. I'm totally OK with that! I just wish we'd gotten to see it happen.

2. MVP of the week is Ser Davos. I mean, we kept on hearing that he was a great smuggler. But what the hell do most of us know about smuggling? I figured he was a really good sailor who could naviagte well at night and/or in difficult weather, and who knew enough other smugglers that he was aware of a lot ways to sneak a boat into unexpected places. And we also knew that he was a rational, charismatic, intelligent man who could handle talking to bureaucrats. But this week showed that the he's not a good smuggler and also a diplomat. He's a good smuggler because he's a diplomat.

3. What does Littlefinger even do? Is he just a wandering pimp who shows up at castles to randomly screw with people? Is there a Castle Baelish somewhere that he is supposed to be in charge of? Can Arya just kill him, take his face, and take over Castle Baelish?

Better question, how old is the fermented crab?  Did he get it when they left Winterfell or was it from his time with Stannis (ew) ????

Iirc LF is a Lord over group of southern small islands that look like little fingers..  Of course he is now the Lord Regent of the Vale.  

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

Iirc LF is a Lord over group of southern small islands that look like little fingers

Is that where he got his nickname? I always kind of wondered, but never enough to look it up.

56 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

Would love to see how the Greyjoys crews react to Euron's warp engine. What effect does lightspeed travel have on crews' stomachs? How many throw up? Does it get easier the more they use the warp speed?

I just imagine he does it while they are sleeping and when they wake up they're like "where the hell are we now?" and he's all "just shut up and kill those people over there". 

• Love 5
On 8/19/2017 at 6:14 AM, Stephanie1216 said:

It's Berics Voice! When he's speaking close your eyes and listen to his voice, that's what's alluring i totally get it.

bitterapple and Stephanie - Get to Fortitude stat! Seasons One and Two - Beric is lead (Dan) mmmmmmmmmmmm

• Love 2

Jamie was so condescending to Dickon both times he met him. Apparently Dickon survived the  Dothraki battle so he held his own there.

Dickon killed a Dothraki who was an inch away from killing Jaime, so I think Jaime ended up having more respect than condescension.

With regard to the Littlefinger nickname, I vaguely remember someone joking about it (probably Varys) and explaining the meaning of it early in Season 1 and I don't recall any mention of a series of small islands. I thought it was childhood teasing that stuck, although maybe I made that up?

Edited by Auntie Anxiety
  • Love 1

Cersei .....I was wondering what she's up to, really, besides possibly messing with Jamie's mind.  

Cersei wants to get even.  That's a given.  And I was wondering if she has something special planned for the people of KL to even up the score of them throwing shit at her.
Then I remembered the comments that KL smells like shit.  Did she blow up the Sept from the sewers upwards to spread shit on those who tossed it on her.  Will that lead to cholera?  

Is she planning further getting even with the , ahem, accidental annihilation of KL by people of the north?  
I'm not sure that we aren't underestimating her.  

I really would feel better for the imaginary sell sword who is Bronn if he were in the coming episode.  And Jamie needs someone to watch his back....that was my main takeaway from his scene with Cersei and her vicious little smirk.