Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

Darcy is coming on too strong and desperation is reeking from every pore of her body. Mentioning changing their Facebook status right away, wanting to get engaged ASAP, Jesse becoming a stepfather to her kids, whoa! Slow down, Darcy! Crying, drunk, emotional Darcy was not a pretty sight. Maybe I'm a party of one, but I didn't think Jesse was being completely controlling and crazy. When he brought up purchasing a dresser and Darcy whined about not wanting to live out of a suitcase he said that's why he mentioned the dresser. She was being incoherent. She started out drinking with Jesse's mom in the afternoon, had a few more glasses of wine alone at a bar and arrives home more than a little tipsy. Jesse and Darcy could not have any type of reasonable conversation at that point. She insisted on turning every comment he made into an argument. It's better that she stayed in a hotel or it may have escalated and gotten much worse. Darcy should go home to her daughters and find someone else. She and Jesse are not compatible on any level. Jesse's mother was telling her that in a kinder way than his step father had told her at the lunch. I don't see the connection between them. Darcy, please maintain an iota of pride and dignity for your daughters' sake. Go home and chalk this up to experience and a little free publicity for your clothing line!

Patrick's mom is a wise woman! Love her!

• Love 19
4 minutes ago, LeeluDallas said:

Ok before I get into anything - I'm going to Dam again this year and I'd really like to know what that cafe/bar is called that Jesse's mum took Darcey.. how cool! any Dutch ppl on this thread? ;-)

The pillows in that bar looked like the donuts you sit on after hemorrhoid surgery.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, AmyBre said:

Jenny has a huge problem.   Usually girls in that trade, use sex to trap their marks and get money and gifts from them (as Abby is doing with both Chris and Sean).  Larry hasn't had sex and doesn't seem to be interested in sex (big red flag).   This presents an issue for Jenny since she's not very interesting or charming and she's not very smart either.   In the absence of these basic attributes, how does a girl trap a guy in a couple of weeks?   

The thing is Jenny doesn't even need sex to hook Larry.  He is already hooked and practically ready to get married now. It would take a LOT for him to think anything she did is wrong or bad or suspicious.  Actually having the camera crew around them is good for at least some accountability.  She's going to take him for everything he has (which isn't much) and not feel a twinge of remorse. 

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, spankydoll said:

I think that he is broke. He is a hot mess. 

Of course he's broke. He cashed in his 401K to travel all the way to the Phillipines to meet this dead eyed dead fish and get a luxury hotel room. Poor, poor Larry.  

• Love 7

(In Tyra Banks voice) Dammit Larry I was rooting for you. She wants the same things you want? Come on you can't be that gullible. She couldn't even attempt to make those yes loves sound believable. Taking a loan from his 401k for a non emergency trip is his just dumb.  Again there are plenty of women here in the states willing to take your money and use you  and it would have been more economical.  

Abby is clearly smitten with Chris because her body language completely changed with him. 

I didn't really understand the Jeesie and Darcy fight. Yeah she was drunk after Jessie's mother dropped some knowledge on her but heck it happens. I guess they left a lot out of the show. Jessie is too controlling. There is now way in hell a man young enough to be my son would be telling me to come home now and when I say now I mean now.  They just need to go their separate ways because he really does like things his way. I think they are both a piece of work at this point and need to shrug this off as an experience and move on. 

• Love 8
15 hours ago, gavinmac said:

He paused because he didn't want to admit, on TV, that he hadn't had sex in 14 years. It's embarrassing. Also, Jenny never said she's a virgin. She said her ex boyfriends are foreigners and she didn't have sex with any of them. She didn't say whether she ever had sex with anyone else who wasn't a "boyfriend," like local Filipino guys from the neighborhood. 

I think Larry wants to wait until after marriage because he's terrified of having sex, as he has no confidence, no self esteem, and a history of impregnating two women who then refused to marry him even though they were bearing his children. And Jenny is delighted to wait until after marriage because it means she doesn't have to have sex with him.

Maybe. However I am starting to believe that their entire relationship is just a storyline and that Larry is playing a sort of role, a naive, inexperienced guy, either that or amping up his personality times 100. I think that the show would have preferred to have him say he was an inexperienced virgin, but the fact that he has 2 kids discredits that. First of all, he claims in the first episode that he and Jenny had been talking for 2 weeks, but doesnt it take months to get casted into this show ? I think he wants to be famous for whatever reason, went on FilipinaCupid, and asked a random girl to participate in this show with him. 

Asking her to wait for marriage to have sex is just such a weird angle. If he had wanted to wait to have sex, he wouldnt have splurged on a fancy hotel with 1 bed. I dont believe that his last sexual encounter was 14 years ago. I dont believe that Jenny is a virgin. 

1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Jenny gives me a vibe like she meets up with different American men on the regular, as soon as one gets on a plane, she is there waiting to greet another one.  She made me think meeting Larry was old hat.  Her flat affectation of asking him if he was nervous, telling him nobody was going to eat him, lol, not exactly the language of love for someone she calls "my love."

"Nobody's gonna eating you" Thats some pretty aggressive language right there from a woman

• Love 3

I couldn't believe the outfit Darcy put on to meet with Jesse's mother.  The dressing like a teenager (and by the way, I teach high school and don't know any teen girls who would wear the clothes that Darcy wears thinking they make her look young...) does not reduce her age even though she continually whisper speaks in order to seem younger.  And I had to do a double-take when Darcy mentioned Jesse impacting her life and the lives of her daughters.  Ugh, no.  That is Danielle all over again when she rants about how Mo has hurt her girls as well as herself.  No, the girls knew better than getting too connected with Mo, and Darcy's daughter with whom they spoke in last week's episode does not seem invested in Jesse becoming her 'step-father.'  Darcy is desperately trying to sell this insta-family, but nobody is buying it.  

Patrick is trying too hard for attention-both from Myriam and from the cameras.  His actions in Paris (the "dancing" and back-flips off of structures) is one reason that the French do not necessarily care for American tourists (disclaimer: I have always had wonderful experiences when traveling in Paris as I try to be polite and respectful of the French).  He is as desperate for attention as Darcy is for an engagement.

• Love 5
On 9/23/2017 at 5:31 PM, AZChristian said:

I think you left a word out right after "having" . . . might you have meant to include "sex"?  LOL.

You are correct. Guess my brain could not bring itself to put "Paul" and "sex" in the same sentence. Thank you for catching that

• Love 2
2 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

Oh my gosh, every time I see John McAfee on TV or in a photo... I don't care what he invented I'll just have the thought of him wide mouthed and waiting underneath the hammock. Ugh.

I think I lead a sheltered life because I don't even know what you are talking about, or who.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, Matias130 said:

Maybe. However I am starting to believe that their entire relationship is just a storyline and that Larry is playing a sort of role, a naive, inexperienced guy, either that or amping up his personality times 100. I think that the show would have preferred to have him say he was an inexperienced virgin, but the fact that he has 2 kids discredits that. First of all, he claims in the first episode that he and Jenny had been talking for 2 weeks, but doesnt it take months to get casted into this show ? I think he wants to be famous for whatever reason, went on FilipinaCupid, and asked a random girl to participate in this show with him. 

Asking her to wait for marriage to have sex is just such a weird angle. If he had wanted to wait to have sex, he wouldnt have splurged on a fancy hotel with 1 bed. I dont believe that his last sexual encounter was 14 years ago. I dont believe that Jenny is a virgin. 

"Nobody's gonna eating you" Thats some pretty aggressive language right there from a woman

I think we've all started looking a little too hard for contrived storylines. And, we're right not to trust reality show producers. They're shady as f*ck.

However, in the case of some of these international courtships, the weirdos really do come out to play. Larry didn't fake liquidating his retirement fund, and his dead-eyed girlfriend isn't faking anything either. She's much too tired. He was so nervous and sweaty and jumpy and manic when he first met her. That wasn't fake, either.

Sadly, Jenny really isn't very bright. If she were, she would be playing to the audience more, realizing that she could get some much better offers than Larry once she was on television. But again, she's not bright. Maybe she'll be content to just get the hell out of the country and only having to have sex with one guy even if he isn't very good at it. She can teach him. And she can offer some lame excuse like her friend told her about it, and he'll believe her.

I think the producers have realized that they get a much better show if they just sit back and let the weirdness happen. 

Patrick really is desperate to please Miryam. And, I do think he's a nice guy who is taking care of his kid.

And, if Darcey is faking that desperation, she's a regular Meryl Streep! But why would she sabotage her own store by faking crazy? Answer: She really is crazy. But, just like wearing clothes that are two sizes smaller don't make a heavy woman look thinner, having a young guy on her arm isn't going to make her look younger. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Palomar said:

The thing is Jenny doesn't even need sex to hook Larry.  He is already hooked and practically ready to get married now. It would take a LOT for him to think anything she did is wrong or bad or suspicious.  Actually having the camera crew around them is good for at least some accountability.  She's going to take him for everything he has (which isn't much) and not feel a twinge of remorse. 

I just started to write something that disappeared. dang. Anyway, I agree with you. It's sad but she seems very damaged and even more depressed than he is. Oftentimes girls are forced into the sex trade at a very young age, and if that's the case with her, Larry cannot begin to fathom the depth of her contempt for him, for all men like him, for any man who wants to hook up with a woman who is much younger and physically out of his league. The things that happen to those girls are abhorrent and tragic, and, if her thousand yard stare is any indication, Larry and his bank account are going to wish they'd never met her at some point. She tells him she's a virgin, but Larry's cousin's wife reads things quite to the contrary in her native language.

On their way to the hotel, Larry dismisses negative messages from his family saying, "They don't know you." Like you do, pal? You've been in her company for less than an hour!

And, when he got onto the bed and wrapped his sweaty self around her and spooned, there was something very eerie to me in the manner in which she just acquiesced. She didn't blush, she didn't look around at the cameras, she just stared vacantly. Women from the Philippines tend to be very modest (think of Daya), so just the idea of lying on a bed with a strange man in front of cameras would at least make a girl look around and blush, react, something? I don't know. There was something about her submission that was disturbing to me. Did anyone else get that? Perhaps I'm reading too much into it?

• Love 10
3 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

Oh my gosh, every time I see John McAfee on TV or in a photo... I don't care what he invented I'll just have the thought of him wide mouthed and waiting underneath the hammock. Ugh.

OK, I don't know what you guys are describing, and I'm not going to google it!

• Love 3

All right, boys and girls, everyone over their 90-day Hangover yet? Good! Me neither.

Pebbles, I mean, Patrick: His hips swivel when he walks, and I don't know whether it's more of a Marilyn Monroe effect or Mikhail Baryshnikov. If we were walking together as dates, he'd get more catcalls, which ain't good, 'cause I'm female. Also, the Outback Bloomin' Onion on his head would have to go. Or maybe he's Pebbles Flintstone come back. His Mom is sensible, like Wilma. Yabbadabbadoo!

Sean/Abby: My gaydar goes off with him, maybe it's the bitchy way he often talks. Stick a fork in this, it's done. I'm pegging Chris as a retired cop or firefighter from some b*mf**k northern place with liberal retirement benefits and medical maryjane. He's smooth, slick, and fun, not looking to be tied down, pays Abby well, and she has a good time. But girlfriend is like a small child, and a Millennial in that God forbid you should EVER end things with a "friend" (wink wink), like when you get, you know, a husband? And why is she relying on old white dudes to get out of there? What about colleges that for example have scholarships for international students? She's using Seanie to make Chris jealous and it ain't gonna fly. 

Jesse/Darcey: Who wouldn't want to stay 100% stone-cold sober when spending at least 18 hours a day in a tiny studio with Adolf Titler--named after his idea of a romantic seduction scene, a bed full of LED blinking t**s? His Mom was kind and tactful, and dresses and looks arty yet age-appropriate. Morticia Addams, take note. You look nice without the warpaint, fillers, etc., and with some Forever 41 outfits, you could do better out there in a 25-mile radius from home.  So here's my theory: Jesse is an ACOA (you can look it up). His stepfather was socking away the booze at that first dinner and that's why he was extra-ugly to Darcey, and probably that way all the time to Jesse. So J. freaks out if GF has a little nip. My money is on that she wasn't drunk that night--rather, exhausted, homesick, and got the Cold Dead Haddock of Reality tossed in her face, although nicely, by her BF's mom. What is the attraction with a son-figure, anyway? Please get some therapy, D, I think it would help you. 

Larry/Jenny--Speaking of Cold and Dead, I saw those eyes on too many of them tonight. The Larry situation just makes me really sad. It makes me wish he is just acting. Strangely, it also makes me sad about the dating situation in this country for divorced men over a certain age, when it's women who usually get the bad rap. The men just do not know what to do, and most fall apart if alone. I could come away from this show thinking that being employed, responsible, decent health, sane, and an American who's maybe a 7 in looks, I'd be a real catch for some dude 58-68. Yeah, laugh, clowns, laugh--it's bad out there, certainly around the two major cities where I've lived the longest, the Boston and DC areas. 

This show needs to be on EVERY NIGHT. But the one thing they do wrong is hit us over the head dozens of times with supposedly the key plot scenes. If I have to listen to that robotic "Accidentally, love" clip again about being on FilipinoCupid, that's IT! It's OVAH!  

Edited by Tuneful
Witticisms (sic)
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, CatLynn said:

Is it just me, or did anyone else think Jenny looked pregnant???

Yes!! She clearly had a baby bump to me. Very weird because the Asian population as a whole seems thin to me (not to categorize/stereotype anyone here)

Edited by CourtneyCourt
1 minute ago, CourtneyCourt said:

Yes!! She clearly had a baby bump to me. Very weird because the east as whole is very thin. 

She has said the whole time she's exhausted so maybe that would fit...if she can hurry this thing up she can birth her own little American...

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Cherrio said:

URGENT !

Mambo Gladys:

Put some extreme evil voodoo on Jesse.

I like Darcy, sure she is over the top and fell for the creep, but its not a crime to be lonely. She isn't mean and put up with that asshole.

I would of booked a hotel the moment he tried to make me bike ride after that long flight.    I really can't stand him.

I'll need him to come get some green shit rubbed all over him to finalize it, but consider it done. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, Tuneful said:

Strangely, it also makes me sad about the dating situation in this country for divorced men over a certain age, when it's women who usually get the bad rap about it. The men just do not know what to do, and most fall apart if alone. I could come away from this show thinking that being employed, responsible, decent health, sane, and an American who's maybe a 7 in looks, I'd be a real catch for some dude 58-68. Yeah, laugh, clowns, laugh--it's bad out there, certainly around the two major cities where I've lived the longest, the Boston and DC areas. 

But we wouldn't have this show if these men (and women -- talking about you, Danielle) weren't convinced that they deserve a 10. Gosh darn it, just because they have criminal records, dead end jobs, poor hygiene, social awkwardness, and creepy personalities doesn't mean they have to settle for someone average or flawed. Settle for a 7??? Pfffff!!! If they have to go across the world to find the 10 they think they deserve, they will.

• Love 11
18 hours ago, Nowhere said:

I saw this differently than most, I guess. It appeared that Darcey was so distraught about the conversations with the mother, that she went to the bar without even giving Jesse a heads up and then ignored a lot of his texts. He was setting up a nice evening for her and not getting any information on when she planned on showing up. In spite of all that, he answered the door in good spirits, tried to discuss the dresser he wanted to buy for her, and continue with the night, only to be further ignored and given some serious attitude for no apparent reason. She was being very annoying and immature.

Furthermore, if I am completely sober and have a night planned with my boyfriend, and he shows up to our date already wasted and belligerent, I'm probably going to be slightly pissed. I didn't see that he was being too controlling in this instance. I don't blame him for telling her drunk ass to "come back home now" after she left the apartment later that night, drunk and crawling through bushes? She ran off in the middle of the night and ignored all phone calls or texts. He was probably worried. I think I would have had the same reaction to all of this if I had to put up with it. Jesse seems more mature than Darcey.

Aaaaaaaaaaaamen!!!!!!!!!!! to all of this.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Jenny gives me a vibe like she meets up with different American men on the regular, as soon as one gets on a plane, she is there waiting to greet another one.  She made me think meeting Larry was old hat.  Her flat affectation of asking him if he was nervous, telling him nobody was going to eat him, lol, not exactly the language of love for someone she calls "my love."

I found it odd that she calls Larry 'love' and not 'Larry'.

• Love 2

re Darcey and Jesse

He was setting up a nice evening for her"

With a fake fire on the TV and some weird votive with HUGE LEAPING flames.  Geez, I thought Darcey's weave was going to combust.

and light up balloons on the bed?  Is he a 12 year old girl?

In spite of all that, he answered the door in good spirits, 

And a shorty slinky robe.    Ewwwwww

Edited by Horrified
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

I do feel sad for Larry spending his 401K on that expensive hotel and that dead-eyed girl who doesn't really want to be with him.

Also, he probably paid full price for the rooms whereas most people who stay places like that on a regular basis get rooms at some kind of discounted rate. Of course that's trivial compared to his other problem.

Manila hotels are cheap. The Pan Pacific is about $110 a night. 

• Love 3

If you know something about whether couples are still together in present day because you follow them on Insta or what someone does for a living because you read it somewhere, post about it in the spoiler thread or one of the couples threads.  

It doesn't belong here. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Nowhere said:

Furthermore, if I am completely sober and have a night planned with my boyfriend, and he shows up to our date already wasted and belligerent, I'm probably going to be slightly pissed. I didn't see that he was being too controlling in this instance. I don't blame him for telling her drunk ass to "come back home now" after she left the apartment later that night, drunk and crawling through bushes? She ran off in the middle of the night and ignored all phone calls or texts. He was probably worried. I think I would have had the same reaction to all of this if I had to put up with it. Jesse seems more mature than Darcey.

I agree !  though I didn't understand the argument. Jesse wanted to buy a dresser and Darcey wanted to live out of a suitcase. Next scene she was in a hotel room and Jesse was bringing her bags from home? For God's sake.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, EastCoast4Life said:

Larry makes me cringe. They show up at the "luxury" hotel, and she immediately flops on the bed like a dead fish. His immediate response is to spoon her. Then it's time for pillow talk about how much they have in common, which basically amounts to her responding with, "yes, love" to all of his questions, that is until she suggested they go outside or do something, and he said, he just wants to spend time with her in the hotel room! But no sex! Larry wants FilipinoCupidJenny to be pure for the big day. 

She wants to leave the hotel and go eat at nice restaurants (with him paying) and go shopping (with him paying).

• Love 8
9 hours ago, islandgal140 said:

One good thing to come out of it is Darcy moving into a hotel, which she should have done from the outset. 

When he said she was in the bushes, I was thinking of Real Housewives of NYC Luann falling drunk into the bushes this past season. It was wondrous!!!

tumblr_otd5dcahMl1ql5yr7o2_500.gif&key=6

If Jesse had been a good American reality TV star, he would have been on the phone with the producers so they could have filmed Darcey in action. Instead, he wanted to preserve her dignity or something. Darn you, Jesse! Darn you!

• Love 6
7 hours ago, ChiBurbsMama said:

What I didn't get is why Patrick left his hotel room and walked down the block, stopping on a public street to video chat, but insisted his mother go into a room by herself at home before he spilled the Myriam beans? Are you alone, are you by yourself? It wasn't NEARLY that dramatic of a phone conversation.

He just wanted his mother to see Paris in the background but not everyone in the house to hear what he had to say.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CoachWristletJen said:

If Jesse had been a good American reality TV star, he would have been on the phone with the producers so they could have filmed Darcey in action. Instead, he wanted to preserve her dignity or something. Darn you, Jesse! Darn you!

Found out what Darcy was doing in the  bushes! Autograph hunting.

20170925_230541.jpg

• Love 5
10 hours ago, islandgal140 said:

When he said she was in the bushes, I was thinking of Real Housewives of NYC Luann falling drunk into the bushes this past season. It was wondrous!!!

tumblr_otd5dcahMl1ql5yr7o2_500.gif&key=6

Huge difference though.  Luann totally owned her bushes dive with class.  But she too was willfully ignorant about her relationship so maybe they are alike...

6 hours ago, SoshulMeedya said:

There are shops in the airport, why didn't he buy some news clothes and deodorant? He could gave at least bought a t-shirt, right?

The airport shops are way too expensive. You won't buy your clothes there when you can get them for 5dollars outside.

That's  precisely why Filipino Cupid offered him to go out and shop some clothes. And Larry was like " No I want to stay in bed".

Dude, you smell !

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, Bibi said:

The airport shops are way too expensive. You won't buy your clothes there when you can get them for 5dollars outside.

That's  precisely why Filipino Cupid offered him to go out and shop some clothes. And Larry was like " No I want to stay in bed".

Dude, you smell !

I'd have hopped in to the shower, and then gone to bed for a day. That's a loooong flight!

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Tuneful said:

So here's my theory: Jesse is an ACOA (you can look it up). His stepfather was socking away the booze at that first dinner and that's why he was extra-ugly to Darcey, and probably that way all the time to Jesse. So J. freaks out if GF has a little nip.

Yes yes and yes. Jesse knew practically the minute she walked through the door that she had had a few. "You seem a little off." Having a father who drank too much I could always tell when he had had a few, I can usually tell with everyone. Its something you learn to look for. But I do think Darcy had several, she seemed to be feeling no pain. And that squeaky voice, I don't think I've heard her speak like that before, another dead giveaway. It was annoying.

What was up with all the fire in the apartment? The candle lamp thing on the table, the video of the fireplace on the wall. Is Jesse a Sagittarius? The ones I've known have all liked fire, fireplaces, wood stoves, fire pits.

• Love 8
On 9/24/2017 at 6:40 PM, CofCinci said:

Yes!  What happens?  Does Paul flip out after Karine's reaction to whatever he shares with her.  He runs into the jungle and then gets mugged?  Who gets shot?!

Yeah, and TLC better not cut the first hour off just as that 'mugging with a machete' is just happening,

then go right into the hour of the crap nobody wants to watch!

• Love 8