Type keyword(s) to search

The Lonely Js Club: Jana, Jason, James, Jackson & Johannah

Message added by Scarlett45,

Discussing the charges against Jana is fine, but do not post any information that reveals her address/contact information- even if said documents are public (i.e. a part of court proceedings.)

Discussing charges against Jana is NOT a jumping off point to speculate on other instances abuse/neglect etc towards the M-children or to elaborate on Josh's conviction and potential victims.  

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Oh, I agree that it's absolutely in the same bucket.

What I'm saying is that the people who've openly espoused Biblical Betrothal -- and defined and invented it really, I suppose -- are very adamant that it's quite distinct from the courtship model!

They like to repeat that no courting is involved because they deem courtship just as bad and dangerous as dating (which nobody else does, obviously). But the people who've pushed BB would absolutely deem something like Derick and Jill going on a courting picnic with one minor Duggarling as their only chaperone as way out of bounds and just as ungodly and unbiblical as two regular people going unchaperoned to a drive-in movie, even for an engaged couple. 

And since the Nakatsus keep their "Biblical Betrothal" stuff password protected, I expect that they do take this very intense view. 

Courting and BB may look very similar to the rest of us, but BB proponents particularly stress the ways in which they think their method differs from and is far superior to courtship. They fear courtship just as much as they fear dating, it appears. So I think that's worth keeping mind because I think their ideas about how the thing should operate are relevant to how people feel and act when they're involved in it. The difference is subtle, but I'd say it's certainly there.

It makes sense to me Jed is marrying a conservative lady from a conservative family. They have more similar beliefs than say, the Vuolos. So from my perspective the subtle differences matter very little.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Something must have been wrong with my sound on that video. The only thing I could hear was the voice overs. I could only tell they were talking by their breathe in the cold.

There's music through the whole beginning; what they were saying to each other wasn't there. (Though the very visible breath was pretty funny...)

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, dargosmydaddy said:

There's music through the whole beginning; what they were saying to each other wasn't there. (Though the very visible breath was pretty funny...)

Thank you for clearing that up!

33 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

It makes sense to me Jed is marrying a conservative lady from a conservative family. They have more similar beliefs than say, the Vuolos. So from my perspective the subtle differences matter very little.

There'd've been a lot fewer religious (and other!) schisms if everyone had your attitude! 😁 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1
On 3/19/2021 at 9:47 PM, beckie said:

The only arranged marriage that I know of ended in divorce.  So even that's not foolproof. 

I know several people who had arranged marriages. The first couple I'm thinking of has been married 21 years. She is Albanian and Muslim; he is American and Christian. He went to Albania to meet her knowing she had no choice but to marry him if her family told her to. They seem happy. 

The other couple is Chaldean. Their marriage was arranged while she was here and he was in Syria, where they married. I believe they're also cousins -- her mother, who worked for me, said so before she realized cousin marriage is taboo here. They have a couple kids and also seem happy. 

I'm quite sure that a lot of "our" cultural things seem FUBAR to them. 

Topic: Is anyone taking bets on whether the infamous tin man dress and shiny gray suit will reappear for this wedding? 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
49 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

There'd've been a lot fewer religious (and other!) schisms if everyone had your attitude! 😁 

Ha! Not really. I'm not a believer, I'm a snarker. To my snarky self their religions have the same snark factor.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I will never understand how two people aren’t allowed to pick their own mate or be alone without a chaperone, but are apparently mature enough to get married (and probably be parents within a year). It defies all logic and common sense.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 24
16 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I will never understand how two people aren’t allowed to pick their own mate or be alone without a chaperone, but are apparently mature enough to get married (and probably be parents within a year). It defies all logic and common sense.

And have sex! 

Though arranged marriages have been going on for centuries. I'm sure some are happy. I worked with a woman from India who had an arrnaged marriage. She said the wedding night was quite a "discovery", but she seemed happy. Maybe when it is expected you accept it as the norm? 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
24 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Because it has nothing to do with maturity and everything to do with control. Look at how many of the married “adult” children are still controlled by JB, despite the supposed leave and cleave junk. 

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, Monkeyrocks said:

Because it has nothing to do with maturity and everything to do with control. Look at how many of the married “adult” children are still controlled by JB, despite the supposed leave and cleave junk. 

They really don't leave, do they? 

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

They really don't leave, do they? 

Well, they're told that the outside world is jam-packed with people who've given ourselves up to Satan! We've heard them talk about the horrible fate of kids who have to ride on school buses. 

Plus, they know Jim Bob will give them a house or a job or both. And without having had to do a lick of homework after mastering the alphabet and maybe the 3 times table. I'm sure they don't expect similar generosity from any of us demonic hordes. And there's free babysitting from pre-teen girls and Aunt Jana at the TTH. 

It's a sweet deal. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, they're told that the outside world is jam-packed with people who've given ourselves up to Satan! We've heard them talk about the horrible fate of kids who have to ride on school buses. 

Plus, they know Jim Bob will give them a house or a job or both. And without having had to do a lick of homework after mastering the alphabet and maybe the 3 times table. I'm sure they don't expect similar generosity from any of us demonic hordes. And there's free babysitting from pre-teen girls and Aunt Jana at the TTH. 

It's a sweet deal. 

A powerless child forever! Sounds awesome 🙄

They’re the Lotus Eaters

Edited by rue721
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

My great-grandmother, an immigrant from Germany,  had an marriage arranged in Washington State.  She told my cousin it had been okay (with a sad not-okay vibe to her comment).  She did look sad in the two photos I have of her.

With the political ambitions and engagement to Katey, Jim Bob must have decided that Jed! was his most promising son.  Her dad wouldn't hand her over to a loser. But I just don't see IT in Jed!  I don't see IT in any of the Duggar howlers.  IMO JD is the best of the bunch.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
53 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I just don't get what's in this for the Nakatsus. Jim Bob and Jed! seem to be punching way above their weight here.

Me neither. If Katey wants to be a politician's wife, she bet on the wrong horse. Maybe Kory shopped her around in well-heeled Christian circles and nobody bit? She doesn't seem particularly enthused about Jed. 

• Love 6

I guess Kory wanted to marry her into fundy royalty. Duggar’s are that.

Jed! Isn’t going to amount to much. He will be daddy’s boy/yes man for life. 

Duggars don’t have a Jeffery or a Jacob yet. Maybe that’s going to be their first born

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I just don't get what's in this for the Nakatsus. Jim Bob and Jed! seem to be punching way above their weight here.

As hateful as this would be (and as much as I wish it couldn't be true), I wonder if her Japanese ancestry would make her unacceptable to many Fundie families and a Duggar is the best she can do.  

• Love 5
11 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I guess Kory wanted to marry her into fundy royalty. Duggar’s are that.

That would fit the pattern of Dads Seewald, Caldwell and Swanson and Mom Spivey, if not more of the in-laws. And, of course, the never-in-laws like Jill R.

No reason Kory wouldn't be among that group. And he may have some fundie-type goals he hopes the Duggar connection can help him achieve. That was also on the minds of Mike Seewald, Paul Caldwell and, I think, Dwain Swanson once upon a time. Didn't seem to work out, though. 😁

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9

Kory wanted to marry IBLP royalty and the Duggars fit the bill. Thanks to television they're the most famous family.

But why Jed! I think Jeremiah, in particular, would have been a better match. Maybe Kory picked Jed!, because he's more indoctrinated and will keep his daughter fundie. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Temperance said:

Kory wanted to marry IBLP royalty and the Duggars fit the bill. Thanks to television they're the most famous family.

But why Jed! I think Jeremiah, in particular, would have been a better match. Maybe Kory picked Jed!, because he's more indoctrinated and will keep his daughter fundie. 

Good points. If Dad Nakatsu ever heard the "sinner twin" nickname, he would make sure his child stayed far from Jeremiah!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

IIRC, the only other time that we heard about a "betrothal" was through Josh (when he was SUPER young) and Kaeleigh (sp?) Holt. And evidently Lauren Caldwell and Titus Hall were a betrothal as well. Of course neither of those worked out. I believe Anna was a courtship.

But it's interesting which family combos are OK with a courtship and which others prefer a betrothal.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Temperance said:

If Kory's relationship to his beliefs is one of the converted becoming zealot who goes overboard to prove the depth of his faith, tying his daughter to the most prominent family in the fold makes sense.  

Wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if the selection of the groom was JB's.  JB does not like feeling second place, less than or that he's not the smartest guy in the room (guess Jessa comes by it honestly).   Anytime JB senses he has the upper hand he presses his advantage.   I doubt he gave free reign regarding the selection of the groom.  

• Love 6

Just curious why Jed! got a Biblically Betrothed spouse and the rest did not...was it purely so JB could choose an appropriate spouse for his future congressman son?  And if he did this for Jed!, why not do it for the rest of the J-boys that got skipped in the lineup when teenage Justin got hitched?

• Love 5

Maybe Jed! wanted it. I doubt there are any other women or exciting new adventures on the horizon, and Daddy says it will make him even godlier and more likely to win his next race. Maybe as one of the more ambitious and less good looking guys in the pack, this was a chance Jed! jumped at.

ETA: I think we're going to see Jeer court or get engaged very soon now, too. The twins seem close and I think it'll be too lonely and weird for Jeer to be left behind on his own once Jed! is gone.

Edited by rue721
  • Love 10

The Bank of Jim Bob will be getting pretty stretched soon with all these boys marrying and needing Daddy to support them and their spawn. Should be interesting to see the acres of container tiny homes crammed with kids.

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Screenshot of the swanky pad the Nakatsus just bought in Arkansas. JimBob must be having orgasms right now. 

Screenshot_20210323-085031.png

I saw that last night! They bought the house and a separate plot of land. The house was bought in December so at least a few weeks before the betrothal. Ol' Kory is just as thirsty as Hilaria in his own way, I suspect! 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Zella said:

I saw that last night! They bought the house and a separate plot of land. The house was bought in December so at least a few weeks before the betrothal. Ol' Kory is just as thirsty as Hilaria in his own way, I suspect! 

I can picture Dwain Swanson  weeping into his corn flakes. He uprooted his family to ride Duggar coattails, and only got to be Boob's prized pig for a couple of months.

• LOL 12
2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I can picture Dwain Swanson  weeping into his corn flakes. He uprooted his family to ride Duggar coattails, and only got to be Boob's prized pig for a couple of months.

When you play the game of Jim Boob, you lose or you lose. 😉 

• LOL 15
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Just curious why Jed! got a Biblically Betrothed spouse and the rest did not...was it purely so JB could choose an appropriate spouse for his future congressman son?  And if he did this for Jed!, why not do it for the rest of the J-boys that got skipped in the lineup when teenage Justin got hitched?

For all we know, the rest of them are currently in the process of getting spouses assigned and that information just hasn’t made it out to the public.  Although the suspicious part of me wonders if the betrothal and information “leak” were engineered to distract us from something else ...

• Useful 8
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, rue721 said:

Maybe Jed! wanted it. 

Jed! may also have career ambitions that cause him to want a father-in-law who can fork over some funding, too, I think. Whereas the others seem to be pretty content hanging around solely in JB's enterprises, JB and Jed! may still cherish other dreams for Jed!. And a well-off father-in-law can help. 

RE: the money topic -- We've heard numerous rumors of Lauren Caldwell pre-courting this and that Duggar over time. But I have a feeling that Lauren now is in the "last-resort' basket of possible Duggarling brides.

I don't think JB is as oblivious to the limitations of his wealth as many of his fans seem to be when it comes to totting up what the clan will need and want as JB and M age and the young hordes expand exponentially. If they can get some in-laws into the mix who can also help out the young families with employment and cash, it'll make a huge difference for them, I expect. But Paul Caldwell has 9 youngish kids with only one out of the house and that one's already sucking on the Duggar teat; may produce yet more young kids (and wants to, I'm sure); and as a preacher-mechanic clearly hasn't prospered financially and is unlikely to do so with that as his career. That makes Lauren a not-very-desirable-Duggarling-bride, I'd bet. In the -- 'We'll take her if we can't get somebody whose parents will be financial contributors" sense. 

Two times in a row now, Duggarlings have hooked up with Gothardite families with profitable businesses, and I expect JB will be pushing to continue that streak.  I expect them to really beat the bushes for not just families with money but families who are Gothardites, rather than other brands of fundie, too, since it's the Gothardites who really seem to have bought the brainwashing about the Duggs being something very special. 

Also noting that an Arkansas Gothard compound seems to be forming around JB and M. Yikes. 

21 minutes ago, Zella said:

When you play the game of Jim Boob, you lose or you lose. 😉 

You may just not realize you lost right at first.....

But soon.....soon......

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
36 minutes ago, Zella said:

Maybe it’s an all about Eve situation with Kory Going after Jim Bob’s role.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9