Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, KBrownie said:

But I'm sure the "Family Pedro is racist against Chantel and family!" is coming.

ETA:  Lol, so while I was writing this as if on cue, family Pedro is racist against Chantel and family because they are black.  Yep.  That's it.  Family Pedro has NO other reason to be upset at Family Chantel.  NOT. A. ONE.  And I guess it doesn't matter that Family Pedro obviously has some African ancestry as well.  Nope.  Is Pedro now racist too?  Reeeeach!  Hell, I guess Chantel and her family are racist against Family Pedro 

And all this talk about "when in Rome" bull, funny how that only applies to Rome=America/Americans, but when it's Rome=anywhere else such as the Dominican Republic, family Chantel can do whatever they want and have a million excuses made for their abhorrent behavior.

How many posts are there in this very thread mocking Pedro's English?  

I have no idea how many posts there are mocking Pedro's English.

I thought it was cute he called them Family Chantel.  In Spanish it would have been "la Familia de Chantel". That's how possessive is done in Spanish.  People learning a new language tend to speak the new language in a direct translation from their first language.

My Puerto Rican born husband regularly reminds me that direct translations from English to Spanish don't always work. He's very fluent in English and speaks it better than most native speakers, however now and again he comes out with some priceless malapropisms that give me belly laughs.  I don't do that in front of others and won't correct him in public.  I often say, "well, it's not technically a word, but it really should be".  I often have to question the logic of the English language.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, sweetpea said:

Here is just one example of her nastiness:

Roughly translated:

It's important for Haitians to return to their country

1. Stop using Haitian labor

2. Stop renting to Haitians

3. Do not sell Haitians any property

4. Stop buying the crap they sell

5. Stop having sex with them

If you hurt for your country share this post

I don't know if she deleted all of her old posts but she is a nasty piece of work and now I know why she gets so offended at Chantel's family. It's because, since Chantel is black, she feels she is better than Family Chantel. 

Thank you.  It was my hunch that she is racist.  Just a gut feeling based on her comments and actions, such as feeding chicken feet and necks to black people.  But I did not have the proof. Mama Pedro is not happy her Junior married a black women.

• Love 9
40 minutes ago, checker said:

They're bigots.

Yes. I said they were racist .  Someone said no, not racist, but prejudiced.  Bigots also works.  Nasty people to be sure.  Family Chantal knows who and what these people are and they don't like it. 

Edited by Desert Rat
  • Love 3
47 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I thought it was cute he called them Family Chantel.  In Spanish it would have been "la Familia de Chantel". That's how possessive is done in Spanish.  People learning a new language tend to speak the new language in a direct translation from their first language.

My Puerto Rican born husband regularly reminds me that direct translations from English to Spanish don't always work. He's very fluent in English and speaks it better than most native speakers, however now and again he comes out with some priceless malapropisms that give me belly laughs.  I don't do that in front of others and won't correct him in public.  I often say, "well, it's not technically a word, but it really should be".  I often have to question the logic of the English language.

Malapropisms are delicious, no matter what languages.  Direct translations can be really hilarious, and unexplainable.

Hello, 3 Stooges. 

Edited by checker
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, KBrownie said:

And all this talk about "when in Rome" bull, funny how that only applies to Rome=America/Americans, but when it's Rome=anywhere else such as the Dominican Republic, family Chantel can do whatever they want and have a million excuses made for their abhorrent behavior.  So yeah.  And too bad "when in Rome" didn't work for the Native Americans when the Europeans came over huh.   They didn't have to assimilate and stole an entire country, but anyone else dare not to fit the cookie cutter, European model of "American" and they are wrong and get blamed for racists bombing their houses of worship which they are entitled to under the laws and customs of this country same as anyone else.  Hell, even when you do try to learn the customs, such as the language, you get belittled and mocked.  How many posts are there in this very thread mocking Pedro's English?  But if he stuck to Spanish, and he could exist just fine in Atlanta without speaking a word of English, he would be wrong for that too.  Funny how selective and bullshit racism and discrimination works isn't it?

I have no problem with Pedro's broken English. I have parents who speak in broken English. My problem is the entitlement of Pedro's family. I am an immigrant myself and my parents would never demand things from me knowing full well I am busting my ass working two jobs and living in a studio. My parents worked 6 days a week, 16 hours a day, so I could have a good life and I am more than willing to give back to them. In fact, it is like pulling teeth to get them to accept gifts from me. But, I have been told, time and time again, that I am the child and they are the parents. If I offered my parents a new tv, they would tell me to keep the new tv and give them my old tv. 

I also have no problem if Pedro was sending money back home to provide hot water and a safe place to live as well as tuition money to send relatives to school. But, I do have a problem of supporting a lifestyle of two able bodied, demanding, ungrateful people.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Swim mom said:

I have no idea how many posts there are mocking Pedro's English.

Probably about as many as there are comments mocking Chantel's Spanish or her mom's "bad weave," or how uppity/entitled her family is. Meanwhile, Pedro's family are equally rude, are actually entitled and there are receipts to prove it, and oh, his mom is has a fondness for ethnic cleansing (I'm not going to pretend like the DR anti-Haitian sentiment isn't about racism against people with too much African blood. I know better than that). Everything Chantel's family has done, Pedro's family has done, but with more ethnostatism from his mom.

Glass. Fucking. Houses.

But we're just gonna sweep all that under the rug because Family Chantel wouldn't eat a meal that Family Pedro thought was beneath them while snickering in the kitchen.

I said what I said.

• Love 21
3 minutes ago, brillia79 said:

Probably about as many as there are comments mocking Chantel's Spanish or her mom's "bad weave," or how uppity/entitled her family is. Meanwhile, Pedro's family are equally rude, are actually entitled and there are receipts to prove it, and oh, his mom is has a fondness for ethnic cleansing (I'm not going to pretend like the DR anti-Haitian sentiment isn't about racism against people with too much African blood. I know better than that). Everything Chantel's family has done, Pedro's family has done, but with more ethnostatism from his mom.

Glass. Fucking. Houses.

But we're just gonna sweep all that under the rug because Family Chantel wouldn't eat a meal that Family Pedro thought was beneath them while snickering in the kitchen.

I said what I said.

Thank you! Loved the whole"what gifts?" Family Pedro stated at the sit down.

Edited by sweetpea
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, checker said:

Malapropisms are delicious, no matter what languages.  Direct translations can be really hilarious.

3 Stooges too

I forgot to add this in m post, but I most certainly needed to point out how many times I've botched Spanish with hilarious results.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, sweetpea said:

I also have no problem if Pedro was sending money back home to provide hot water and a safe place to live as well as tuition money to send relatives to school. But, I do have a problem of supporting a lifestyle of two able bodied, demanding, ungrateful people.

THIS!!!

• Love 9

Racial prejudice of any kind is odious and hateful.

Hatians cross illegally into the DR because their half of the island is deforested, so they have little in the way of an economy and live in cruel and abject poverty. Like many who immigrate illegally, they are looking for a better life.  If the government of the DR is doing little to stop unchecked border crossings, I can understand some of the outrage and frustration of some in the DR , as a similar situation exists in the US of A wrt illegal immigration, being played out in our own politics. I don't agree with xenophobia at all, as I find our own current immigration policies to be antiquated and  breaks up families.

But, having contempt for people simply because of the color of their skin is morally reprehensible. 

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Boofish said:

I just wanted to say Jorge friend Ramon(?) is the most and possibly only likeable person- star or friend of - to appear on this show. 

Was that the guy with the backwards baseball cap?  He seemed mature and straightforward although I did not see the entire conversation.  Jorge.....what can I say?  I bet he never kissed a girl before Anfissa as he was so awkward.  He needed a good female friend to coach him through dating but I have a hunch he would have had his own "rules"of what a woman really wants.  Jorge?  Here is what we DON'T want:  a man who lies about, oh....pretty much everything.

• Love 4
On 8/7/2017 at 4:54 PM, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Pedro's family definitely has a chip on their shoulder about Americans, but that's a problem of nationality/culture rather than race. If I'm missing something here I would love to hear more insight about this!

You're correct about nationality/culture "bias," but somehow those using the word "racism," get that point across...maybe better and quickly.  

• Love 1

I'm not buying Jorge was Anfisa's 'first'; not for a minute. Also, what does a (supposedly) 20yr old, or even early 20's for that matter, need with Botox?  And, when she told the doctor when he asked (at least for on camera) that she's had no other procedures - um, k.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, sweetpea said:

Here is just one example of her nastiness:

Roughly translated:

It's important for Haitians to return to their country

1. Stop using Haitian labor

2. Stop renting to Haitians

3. Do not sell Haitians any property

4. Stop buying the crap they sell

5. Stop having sex with them

If you hurt for your country share this post

I don't know if she deleted all of her old posts but she is a nasty piece of work and now I know why she gets so offended at Chantel's family. It's because, since Chantel is black, she feels she is better than Family Chantel. 

Thanks for translating! She sure doesn't sound very nice.

6 hours ago, CofCinci said:

The money Pedro sends to his family isn't used to upgrade their apartment -- it's for his sister's beauty pageants. 

Wasn't there a fancy dress in with all of the hair products and other stuff Pedro brought for his mom and sister? A pageant-type dress??

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I forgot to add this in m post, but I most certainly needed to point out how many times I've botched Spanish with hilarious results.

Hell, I am English and still botch words! Like when I told my co-workers during coffee break that we have organisms in our farm water! I will NEVER live that one down:(    I meant to say organisms.

• Love 1
On 2017-08-07 at 5:30 PM, Swim mom said:

I laugh that taking care of mothers is such a big part of DR culture, while Pedro's mom certainly isn't taking care of Grandma.

She very well might not want to move to an apartment. My grandmother's lived in the same house for 70+ years even though it's modest because my grandfather helped build it and it what's she's known. My mom refuses to use a modern plug-in kettle to boil water because she'd rather boil it in a pot or the old timey version that she's always used. 

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, mittsigirl said:

Hell, I am English and still botch words! Like when I told my co-workers during coffee break that we have organisms in our farm water! I will NEVER live that one down:(    I meant to say organisms.

Huh?   Did I miss something? You said organisms twice, I don't get it.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Bunnygirl said:

Huh?   Did I miss something? You said organisms twice, I don't get it.

Okay, see, I do screw words up! Meant to first say orgasam!  Then the word I was supposed to say was plain old organisms. Sometimes Kindle changes words to what it thinks I should be saying. I had to add it to Kindle's dictionary. Sorry about that;)

• Love 3

I was wondering if maybe in the DR culture only the sons are expected to take care of their mothers. Do we know anything about Pedro, Sr. and whether or not he is still in the picture? Pedro's abuela may be Lidia's mother-in-law and perhaps there are uncles who take care of their mother. 

Also, I was thinking of the overly dramatic seating dilemma for the wedding (if it even comes to pass). They are expecting 50 guests? Put all four of Family Chantel on one end and Family Pedro on the other and let the neutral guests fill in the middle as a buffer zone. I would imagine there will be quite a few "no shows" (didn't Abuela already say she wasn't coming?) and there might be a boycott similar to Loren and Alexei's wedding in Israel.  

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

You're correct about nationality/culture "bias," but somehow those using the word "racism," get that point across...maybe better and quickly.  

There a lot of nationalism in certain countries. Latin Americans seem to be pretty passionate about how great they think their particular country is and have been known to come  to blows over it. Seen that on our local news very often.  Once, I remember two guys from the same country arrested for brawling over whose town was better. They take this shit pretty seriously.  

Nothing wrong with being proud of your country or heritage, but taking it to a level of crazy...

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Jennifersdc said:

I observed that when Family Chantal appeared behind them at the wedding hotel reception desk Pedro summoned her back to sign registration. That makes me think Chantal was paying for everything there too.

Pedro has no credit which was revealed when he tried to finance the ring. I doubt he has a credit card. Chantal likely pays with her credit card and Pedro gives her cash for whatever amount they agreed to. Some hotels accept debit, but they might also put a hold on the card. I don't get the impression at all that Chantal is paying for everything. She's a student and teaches cheerleading. Pedro has 2 jobs and I'm sure he's helping out with the bills. He's already mentioned the car that he helped purchase for Chantal.

If Chantal were paying for everything, her family would have revealed that by now. They'd make sure everyone knew.

I do not see the Family Chantal usage as mocking or disrespectful. I actually find Pedro's use of it really endearing and innocent. I don't think harm or disrespect is meant by it at all when used by people discussing the show either (I've seen it done out of PTV as well), but I can only really speak for myself.

• Love 5

I agree. Family Chantel would most certainly be trumpeting about how Pedro doesn't pay for anything if that's the case. They'd be shouting that from the rooftops.

I think I have made arrangements for every trip me and Mr E have been on.  It makes sense since I have frequent flyer miles as well as my sweet man doesn't have a clue how to plan a trip (so he's perfectly happy if I do that). We would work out the money later. I think most hotel workers know that it's the wife/GF that usually plans the trip and uses her card to secure the reservation and its the couples business how they figure it out.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
Afterthought
  • Love 3

Why are we assuming Chantel isn't working? Chantel wouldn't have been able to get a K1 visa if she couldn't prove she could financially support Pedro when he wouldn't be able to work? Remember Nicole being too poor to sponsor Azan's K1 visa?

Did Pedro say he helped her buy a car? Or did he say she has a new car. I'd bet good money she is paying for it... like that ring.

7 minutes ago, brillia79 said:

Did Pedro say he helped her buy a car? Or did he say she has a new car. I'd bet good money she is paying for it... like that ring.

From what I gather during one of their arguments, Pedro used his TLC check to help his family, buy a game system and put a down payment on his wife's $3,500 ring;  Chantel used her check to buy a brand new car.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

There a lot of nationalism in certain countries. Latin Americans seem to be pretty passionate about how great they think their particular country is and have been known to come  to blows over it. Seen that on our local news very often.  Once, I remember two guys from the same country arrested for brawling over whose town was better. They take this shit pretty seriously.  

Nothing wrong with being proud of your country or heritage, but taking it to a level of crazy...

My husband's former boss was from Brazil.  Always one to scream, like Pedro, about respect/disrespect, but never gave any out to get any.  When I saw Family Pedro and the head games they played, it started to make more sense, because it's exactly what my husband went through, and if you went over his head, then he'd call you a racist (kind of like their "stupid American" comment).  Two weeks after my husband switching positions at work and him no longer having a secondary supervisor who fought for him, he was fired.  Labor & Industry determined he was fired without cause, and granted him unemployment, but we're still considering filing a complaint with several agencies.

• Love 1

Why are we assuming Chantel isn't working? Chantel wouldn't have been able to get a K1 visa if she couldn't prove she could financially support Pedro when he wouldn't be able to work? Remember Nicole being too poor to sponsor Azan's K1 visa?

I assume the cheer coaching is her only gig, otherwise they would've mentioned it on the show. Especially if it was a somewhat professional job or even an internship. I can't imagine the cheer thing is more than 20 hours a week, so even if she's making more than minimum wage, it's not a ton of money. When I looked up the requirements on this (unofficial) site, she'd only need income of $16,240 annually to bring Pedro over here. That's not much. Would student loans count as income?

Nicole could have made that threshold on minimum wage (barely), but she has a daughter, so the amount was higher for her.

The thing that interests me with all these couples is not how much they have to have to get the fiancee over here, but the ongoing financial burden when they divorce. I remember looking this up in the first Dani/Mo season, but I can't remember now. Wasn't it a 10 year financial obligation?

20 hours ago, MrSmith said:

Many of those in the Somali community do not want to adapt to living in the US, and now the strife that causes has led some assclown to bomb a mosque.

"Baby, why do you make me hit you?"

don't know if she deleted all of her old posts but she is a nasty piece of work and now I know why she gets so offended at Chantel's family. It's because, since Chantel is black, she feels she is better than Family Chantel. 

Girls, you're both pretty! Seriously, there is plenty of bigotry on both sides. Pedro's mother with her "pure Dominican" nonsense would obviously far prefer that her son marry a Dominican girl. (It goes without saying that the anti-Haitian activity in DR is heinous.) And Chantel's family, who are as bourgeois as they come with all the middle class pretension and posing that comes with it, look down on Pedro, the resort worker from a poor country, and his family, who live in the hills where the packs of wild dogs roam and militias lurk, ready to kidnap unsuspecting Americans. Maybe Granny is the leader of a militia kidnapping ring? 

Both are detestable.

But if Pedro's mother is a mastermind, pulling the puppeteering strings on a long con involving the stealing of Chantel's fortune (the Unsullied Gem of Atlanta is apparently an heiress? who knew?), then she sucks at it. A con artist cons by winning trust and confidence. One does not win a mark's trust by being antagonistic, picking fights, flouncing off, and demanding expensive gifts from jump. And would certainly not throw down the gauntlet and say "fine, then, divorce him, let him go".

The thing I cannot get over is that Chantel agrees with her parents. She thinks Pedro is conning her. She thinks he's lying. She despises his poor country and background as much as her mother does. She loves the expensive resorts but freaked right out at Grandma's house. She is responsible for all the mistrust and the lies that were told to her parents, but she has never owned it and as far as we have seen, has not apologized to her husband for it, just sighs and takes to her bed like a Victorian heroine, leaving Pedro to fend off the bitter, hurtful accusations of her family.

• Love 10

Chantal mentioned this episode that she saved for a long time for Pedro to come to the US. She works for her parents so I assume she's making a decent salary. Couple that with grants, scholarships, or student loans, that might explain how she was able to afford an apartment at least.

Cheerleading coaches don't make a lot, but again, she works for her parents and may receive comfortable income.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, trimthatfat said:

Cheerleading coaches don't make a lot, but again, she works for her parents and may receive comfortable income.

Especially if she was living rent-free with her parents and was able to spend her money entirely on herself (trips to the DR, application to bring Pedro here, etc.) Is it possible that when she applied to be on 90DF, TLC thought her story of keeping everything from her parents was reality show drama enough that they footed all or part of the bill to bring him over? 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, trimthatfat said:

I do not see the Family Chantal usage as mocking or disrespectful. I actually find Pedro's use of it really endearing and innocent. I don't think harm or disrespect is meant by it at all when used by people discussing the show either (I've seen it done out of PTV as well), but I can only really speak for myself.

Me too. 

Though I think Chantal is footing most of the bills. I doubt he'll give her the monthly payment for the engagement ring. But then she wanted that. Even if he's working two minimum wage jobs - $600/month rent for an apartment in DR plus whatever else is going to take up quite a bit of his after-tax income. Though who knows how much TLC is paying them. I was under the assumption it's not a whole lot. Danielle still seems pretty poor and she's been doing this for several seasons now.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, trimthatfat said:

Chantal mentioned this episode that she saved for a long time for Pedro to come to the US. She works for her parents so I assume she's making a decent salary. Couple that with grants, scholarships, or student loans, that might explain how she was able to afford an apartment at least.

I tried looking up the camp that was noted in photos from the past season, but couldn't find it.  However, a lot of those day camps run for the summer, and if she's not in school in the summer, she could make better money doing that full time.  

22 minutes ago, Jennifersdc said:

Me too. 

Though I think Chantal is footing most of the bills. I doubt he'll give her the monthly payment for the engagement ring. But then she wanted that. Even if he's working two minimum wage jobs - $600/month rent for an apartment in DR plus whatever else is going to take up quite a bit of his after-tax income. Though who knows how much TLC is paying them. I was under the assumption it's not a whole lot. Danielle still seems pretty poor and she's been doing this for several seasons now.

The math doesn't work, does it?  Never any mention of saving for the future.  Nope, just spend, spend, spend.  

7 hours ago, trimthatfat said:

I agree, Family Chantal, Family Pedro, etc. is not mocking.  If fact, I think it's charming and find that his manner of speech the most endearing thing about him. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, magemaud said:

Especially if she was living rent-free with her parents and was able to spend her money entirely on herself (trips to the DR, application to bring Pedro here, etc.) Is it possible that when she applied to be on 90DF, TLC thought her story of keeping everything from her parents was reality show drama enough that they footed all or part of the bill to bring him over? 

I vote reality show drama.  They needed a hook to grab the audience. TLC already showed us the fat, middle-aged single mom and  the young middle eastern grifter; the the fat, lonely, desperate man and the Russian hooker; the plain vanilla engineer and the spicy latina/skank.  Chantal needed to give us a reason to watch because a show about an immature nursing student and her Dominican hottie with broken English is boring. So they made up all this drama.  

Parents don't know about the wedding = fake. Family Chantal is involved in every aspect of her life, including younger brother River.  

Chantal needs a prenup  =  fake. They told us the family has a trust which is the way to handle management of inheritance, not prenup.

Pedro's mother and sister are greedy gritters = mostly fake.  Sure Pedro sent them gifts, but I do not believe that without the cameras they would have begged for gifts at the airport before saying hello.  Mother is educated and a professional. They are proud. I don't think they would do that unless it was part of the story.  

Mother Pedro served fried chicken feet = fake. Just too stupid.  No one treats guests like that.

Family Chantal did not get out of the van = fake. They didn't drive 5 hours to sit in the van.  I don't believe it was 5 hours.  The DR is not very big.

There was a cat fight between Chantal and Family Pedro = fake.  Chantal's acting was terrible, "Good night."  And Mother Pedro could hardly keep a straight face, maybe she was laughing at Chantal, but I think she was laughing at the farce.  

I could go on.  

Edited by Desert Rat
  • Love 3

Family Pedro is 100% using Chantal and Pedro. Pedro sees it as doing the honorable thing but they are well aware of what they are doing and his mother especially should be a little ashamed of herself for risking his happiness and his future. I believe Pedro does love her but he better be careful. If her family can get her to go one whole day without seeing his face that may be all it takes to end this marriage. They unfortunately have the type of marriage where everything needs to be split 50/50 and everyone keeps their own money to do with as they please. That way when he can't eat lunch for a week because he spent all his allowance on great value vitamins for JonBenet and Mama Pedro he will have no one to blame

Edited by Boofish
Nevermind
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, Boofish said:

Family Pedro is 100% using Chantal and Pedro. Pedro sees it as doing the honorable thing but they are well aware of what they are doing and his mother especially should be a little ashamed of herself for risking his happiness and his future. I believe Pedro does love her but he better be careful. If her family can get her to go one whole day without seeing his face that may be all it takes to end this marriage. They unfortunately have the type of marriage where everything needs to be split 50/50 and everyone keeps their own money to do with as they please. That way when he can't eat lunch for a week because he spent all his allowance on great value vitamins for JonBenet and Mama Pedro he will have no one to blame

JonBenet!  You made me spit my diet coke.

On 8/7/2017 at 3:03 PM, ChiCricket said:

Here's the thing about the end of that conversation. I speak pretty fluent Spanish, and I replayed it several times, and asked my Puerto Rican husband's view of what was said.

We both agree that Pedro's mom said (paraphrased) " if you don't believe in Pedro (and his family), then divorce him, let him go!"

Then the (bratty) sister said" YES! Divorce him....PERIOD!"

I *think* "en punto" = "period."

I think Chantal *thought* the sister called her "una puta" (a whore), and when she asked the sister if she called her that, in the heat of the moment, she said "yeah, I DID call you that!" (even though she really didn't.)

But I think both families behaved like ASSES ...especially Chantal's brother, and Pedro's sister..both entitled little shits , imho. 

What I loved about this off the rails conversation was the R roll (can' think of the right word) the sister did when speaking to Chantal.  For some reason that sticks out to me.  I do not find Chantal pretty at all yet she thinks she is super awesome.  Maybe if her stank attitude disappeared and she had someone teach her how to apply makeup.  Maybe.

• Love 5
On 8/8/2017 at 8:41 AM, MrSmith said:

That yacht party seemed to my wife and me to be window dressing for Paola, and maybe also for the other girls that were there. We still feel like the agent is trying to get these girls into porn.

That or 'dates'.  It was entirely skeevy

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

I vote reality show drama.  They needed a hook to grab the audience.

ITA! Would any of us watch a show about typical Americans trying to bring their fiance to the US from another country and the K-1 visa process? A dry, factual documentary perhaps, but not a show that is trying to get ratings and generate "buzz," not to mention the possible spin-off. The couples were specifically chosen because of their potential for drama and sometimes when nothing materializes, the producers take something minor and orchestrate and edit it into a big crisis. 

• Love 6

Pao is getting on my last nerve with her condescending "Russ doesn't understand Miami" nonsense. Sure, it has a different vibe than Oklahoma, but it's still in his own native country and I'm positive that he has a much better understanding of the real ramifications of their move there than she does (higher cost of living, job market differences, state and federal income tax requirements, etc.). The more she says this, the more I'm convinced that she's still angry about being stuck in Oklahoma and is getting revenge by trying to make him feel as uncomfortable and out of his element as possible. Which is of course a terrible way to treat your spouse. And for all her talk about "a Colombian man would do anything to make make sure he's able to support his family", she keeps refusing to acknowledge that Russ's "anything" includes moving AWAY from Miami to find a place where his expertise can be put to good use. But I guess selling empanadas is a better use of his experience and education in her mind.

But even though she's coming across as a selfish jerk, I think I would actually like her if she was with a more suitable partner. If she was with a more assertive man who would stand up to her ridiculous ideas, and not bend over backwards for fear of losing her, I think she could rein it in a bit. I've had friends with strong personalities like hers who have a natural tendency to run roughshod over people, but if you stand up to them and they see you're not a pushover, they are often very willing to compromise. To me, this is just a terribly mismatched couple, rather than two inherently bad people.

• Love 14