Type keyword(s) to search

Seasons 1 and 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

On 5/6/2019 at 2:08 AM, Lady of nod said:

And how perfect was that scene in the mask. She's amazing.

I wholeheartedly agree. Her body language was so expressive, even beautiful. Almost balletic.

• Love 6
On 5/5/2019 at 6:17 PM, catrice2 said:

I am not that engaged this season.  I am especially not enjoying Eve, and Villianelle just seems so predictable. 

I literally just got to the post above yours and realized I didn’t even finish watching the episode. It seemed like it went on forever. Guess I’ll go finish it up.

• Love 3
(edited)

DIdn't like that they worked with Villanelle to get the information out of Ghost. Just casually working with a highly unstable psychopathic killer who has a weird thing going with one of the employees? NO.

Yeah, Ghost after Villanelle is done with her, spitting out to Eve that she is a monster, was dumb. Not buying it. Psychopaths gonna murder. Top tier psychopaths gonna assassinate. The worst Vilanelle could have done with words is threaten her kids.  But psychopath Ghost already knew her kids might be harmed by what she was doing.

In short, don't try to make anyone feel sorry for psychopathic murderers. Not working.

This is an excellent show and deserves all the accolades it gets. There are a few problems, however, and it's plots like that, that are a let down.

Also a let-down is trying to make it into a psychp psychodrama with psychos, but playing Eve as a semi-Murder She Wrote lady. Eve's great analysis is not great. Like, at all. Anyone could come up with that fantastical 'cross this with this  with this' crap.  When she's not making really dumb leaps and coming out perfectly on target.  If you could cross and multi cross  any number of scenarios, more killers would be caught, period. You can't. And the stuff that you can, is overstuffed with human error. I just wish they'd make it more believable , or at least stop making Eve into a genius assassin-whisperer.

Also, what is with making her out to be just gorgeous to everybody? O is rather homely, and downright weird looking from some shots.  That doesn't mean that she can't be attractive, but she is oceans from a conventionally beautiful person,   It's more interesting to see her passion in her work light her up, and in turn make her attractive. Eg with Hugo.  O has some good deliveries. Like when she tells him, "I'll put your head in a box."  That sounds half  candid and funny, half what your mom might say to you, after you say, "Is Gwenyth Paltrow's head in box here?"

Speaking of which, I don't trust the little weasel. Carolyns kid, the one who dresses in  what looks like a boy toddler's clothing, is more  masculine than Hugo. How is a grown-ass woman, Eve, working for MI6 (!) and totally unguarded with anyone, let alone this douchecanoe? He seriously couldn't look like more  of a douche, who looks about 17years old, too.

Why is the actress who plays Jess in everything British? Is her mother the head of the BBC or something?  She is always popping up, playing the same type of  character, wearing the same hairdo, all. the . time.  She's like the Jenna Elfman of the UK; in a word: boring.

Carolyn is totally going to exact revenge on her superior's assistant, for his passive-aggressive power play on her in the waiting room.  And what was her shirt made of? Nylon? Satin? It looked liquid.

Jodie Comer is great as Villanelle. Full stop. She was robbed a lead Emmy.

Is Villanelle really supposed to be an impeccable dresser? Because most of the time she looks like a fashion victim to me. That cranberry asymmetrical pantsuit was an eyesore. She didnt fit well into her dutch coffee sipping couture dress and the earrings were horrid.  She looks like a kid playing dress up.

Most of the time she either looks like a refugee that was given hunk of money and no class to go with it, or dressing for success like a mid-level manager in a German marketing firm. I do like watching the former though. That   mauve faux Victorian shirt and silver vinyl pants with a preppy hunting coat was fun. And she looked great in that green silk long jacket.

I love Konstantin, and his hearty laugh. His clothes are more of the same, as hers. Just what someone with no taste would think is classy. He was wearing more conventional clothes last year, Im pretty sure. I think she's going to eventually kill him , which  will be a loss.

Eve's husband. Did he not know that her job was at MI6? And that she might be doing top secret thigs she can't talk to him about? And that some of it might be dangerous, and she and even himself might be at risk, at some point? I don't understand, and I dont think it's ever been explained. I like him a lot, hes the moral center, hes the pole Eve is pulling away from which grounds her in the decent,moral world.

However, his passive-aggressiveness toward her is irritating. I want to like  Niko, and I like the actor enough to hope he doesnt get killed off, but it's bordering abusive how passive-aggressive he is. If  anyone finds themselves having to be that  pass-agg and  sarcastic with their partner all the time, maybe its time to break up. 

Also if Eve is the  "best person" he's ever known, then he needs to meet more people. I want to sympathize with her when he complains about her job  because i the genders were switched, she'd be a 'nag' and a 'bitch'. BUt she's gone over the top in a dangerous and personal way that affects him, also. She's playing these games with Villanelle and endangering Niko, and then acting like she's not, and all is ok. He is exactly right when he says that she is gaslighting him, and that's not anything  who is decent would do to another, let alone the one you love. He found out that Eve stabbed V, and that comes out on the next episode. I hope he leaves her bitch ass.

Edited by Butless
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6

Hugo has a squished  down head that is like half the length of Sandra O's head. Which makes her look even more like his mum. The actors engaging and doing a fine job, I just wish they had picked a more plausible "young, posh toff" that she's be better attracted to.

Hugo seems like he's interested in Eve because he's interested in what Villanelle sees in her, and wants to be more powerful than both women by having something over  Eve, imo.  But Villanelle is a psychopath, with a psychopath's fetishes. It's nothing that Hugo would understand. I think he's going to sell Eve out, somehow. When he says to her that what she's doing "is brave," he doesn't sound sincere, at all.

Best line of the show, was when V tells Niko that he looks like "a piece of fudge someone stuck a mustache on." Excellent writing and she can deliver a line. Hoo boy.

• Love 3

Really tiring of this season. Villanelle's kills in Season 1 were inspired. But her killing the guy in Amsterdam was wildly improbably if you look at it from a planning point of view. He had to be in the street when she was there, had to follow her, and everybody in the street had to assume this was performance art faking a killing, no cops strolling by to stop her. Bad writing. Similarly the apple on Niko's desk making Eve think V was in the building. V couldn't count on Eve going to Niko's classroom. 

And why did they have to close the storage container any time Eve or V went in? The suspect was already shackled and they were out in the middle of the woods. Wouldn't it have been more advisable to leave the doors open so the guys with the guns could stop anything bad that might happen? Else why have the guys with the guns? Another instance of the showrunners wanting to make something look cute, but there's no basis for it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, smartymarty said:

Similarly the apple on Niko's desk making Eve think V was in the building. V couldn't count on Eve going to Niko's classroom. 

I thought the show left it ambiguous as to whether Villanelle actually planted the apple, though. I kind of love the idea that Nico was to some degree right in that scene.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, stealinghome said:

I thought the show left it ambiguous as to whether Villanelle actually planted the apple, though.

V does like to leave little, and not so little, calling cards. Plus, she had called in a complaint to the school about Nico being inappropriate w/ a student.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

Plus, she had called in a complaint to the school about Nico being inappropriate w/ a student.

She called in multiple complaints to the school about Niko. They mentioned it previously in the episode where Eve goes to his school. 

• Love 3
(edited)

S2.E6: I Hope You Like Missionary!

Villanelle uses her unrivaled infiltration skills to immerse herself in the world of a new target. Their relationship on the rocks, Eve and Niko confront each other about their future.

Promo:

Clip:

Original air date: 5/12/19

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
On 5/8/2019 at 2:58 PM, stealinghome said:

I thought the show left it ambiguous as to whether Villanelle actually planted the apple, though. I kind of love the idea that Nico was to some degree right in that scene.

Didn’t think it was ambiguous at all. It was meant to be a callback to the Apple at the hospital. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Was it a Hieronymus Bosch?

No, didnt look like a Bosch.  I looked it up - its called The Corpses of the De Witt Brothers.  

They were apparently two Dutch aristocrats who got caught on the wrong side of violent revolution.   Ugh.

• Love 1
(edited)

John: Oh, gawd. [Carolyln] hasn't got married again, has she?

Carolyn: I can't stand breakfast. It's just constant eggs. Why? Who decided?

Carolyn: My brother used to jam his hamsters into an old loo roll, prod them through with a toothbrush to see how many he could do in a minute.
Eve: How many could he?
Carolyn: Three.

Hugo: Getting someone close to Peel's about as easy as getting a sex offender into a convent.
Jess: So quite easy then.

Hugo: [Peel] doesn't have any friends. He's never had a girlfriend or boyfriend or anatomically correct sex robot.

Konstantin: Have you come here to yell at me?
Eve: For selling me out and skipping town with Villanelle? No, not at all. I've forgotten all about it. It's totally fine.
Konstantin: You're not yelling, but it feels like you're yelling.

Jess: We want to make you and Villanelle an offer - which doesn't involve killing someone.
Konstantin: Hmm.

Villanelle: You want me NOT to kill someone. You do know what I do, right?
Eve: This is harder. A challenge.
Villanelle: I don't like to be challenged.
Eve: Do you want me to ask someone else?
Villanelle: Noooooo!

Eve: Give [Billie] a job. Know what? No. No job. A couple of vanity degrees. Something wishy washy.
Hugo: Philosophy, history of art.
Eve: Great.
Jess: Throw in a couple of DUIs, and don't make it too clean.
Eve: Smart.
Hugo: One rich insta-hottie coming up.

Villanelle: Do I get a watch with a laser in it?
Quartermaster: I've been doing this job seventeen years. You know how often these jokes get made?
Villanelle: A lot.
Quartermaster: Never. Field agents approach their work with the solemnity it warrants.

Jess: You okay, mate? Niko stuff?
Eve: It'll pass. He'll come around.
Jess: Nothing a BJ and a compliment won't fix in my experience.
Villanelle: I don't think a BJ will help. He's too nice. He's too normal for you. You know that.
Eve: Stop it.
Villanelle: Why?
Eve: Because you will never understand how much harder it is to be nice and normal and decent than it is to be like you.
Villanelle: Like us, you mean.

Villanelle: Don't speak to me like that, Eve. I like you, but I don't like you that much. Don't forget - the only thing that makes you interesting is me.

Villanelle: Most of the time I feel nothing. I don't feel anything. It is so boring. I wake up and I think, "Again, really? I have to do this again?" And what I really don't understand is how come everybody else isn't screaming with boredom too. I try to find ways of making myself feel something. More and more and more but it doesn't make any difference. No matter what i do, I don't feel anything. I hurt myself. It doesn't hurt. I buy what I want. I don't want it. I do what I like. I don't like it. I'm just so bored.

Konstantin: Who are you texting?
Villanelle: Eve.
Konstantin: Why?
Villanelle: She might be lonely.
Villanelle's text: 🚛😵👻👍🏻

Villanelle: Ugh, it's Amber. "Hey, you free Thursday? Want to come for family sups?" Why do rich people talk like children?

Eve: I hope you like the missionary position.
Gemma: I do actually.

Aaron: A failed intern. How inspirational.
Villanelle as Billie: I couldn't do a job like yours, running a huge company. No wonder you're selling it.
Aaron: How did you know I was selling it?
Villanelle as Billie: I read an article.
Aaron: In the Economist. Interested in business are you? No offense, but you don't seem the type.
Villanelle as Billie: It was on the magazine pile at the waxing salon.

Aaron: Lost?
Villanelle as Billie: No. Obviously not. I'm being nosy.

Aaron: You ask a lot of questions. You seem to have the mind of a five year old.

Villanelle: What is in that?
Kebab guy: Lamb mainly.
Villanelle: Mainly?
Kebab guy: Yeah.
Villanelle: But you can put any meat in there?
Kebab guy: I guess so, yeah. People will eat anything if you cut it thin enough and put hot sauce on it.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6

Oh, Eve. Lying to Niko about stabbing Villanelle was a terrible ploy.

Ha, during the "old friends" conversation with Konstantin, Carolyn, and John from the Nairobi office, I was afraid that Konstantin was going to suggest a threesome just as Kenny walked in (as if Kenny hasn't been traumatized enough).

I like Carolyn, but she doesn't like breakfast or eggs? Just when I thought we could be friends.

How many more excuses are they going to come up with to bring Villanelle into their various missions?

I guess Eve finally learned how far she can push Villanelle. Stabbing her is one thing, but speaking to her sharply is where the line is. Eve was clearly surprised and a little disturbed when Villanelle pushed back and warned her not to speak to her like that.

As if we didn't already know Amber is a mess, she showed up to an AA meeting in a leopard print coat and matching leopard print shoes.

Carolyn fences! I love that we keep finding out more about Carolyn's hobbies, especially after she told Eve that she doesn't have time to babysit her because she has lots of hobbies.

I know Eve was being petty and nosy, but her disdain for Gemma's fairy lights and twee decor cracked me up.

Even though it wasn't smart for the mission, I wasn't upset to see Villanelle crack Aaron across his smug face with the book he so rudely dropped into her lap. I get that he's paranoid, but that's no excuse for being an asshole. I guess his dad didn't teach him good manners before Aaron murdered him.

Loved that it didn't take long for Villanelle to figure out what a bully Aaron is. Hugo assumed that Aaron had no friends because he's paranoid but now we know that Aaron has no friends because he's a dick. So how long before Aaron ends up as a gyro?

Now I feel sorry for Amber. When she's out of the house, she has security telling her not to talk to anyone and when she's at home, he has her turd of a brother to deal with. Both their parents are dead so she really has no one. No wonder she glommed onto Villanelle so quickly.

• Love 12

Oh, how I do love this program so!

I was trying so, so hard to save all of Season 2 to marathon-watch over the 4th of July holiday, but I cabed and watched S2 Ep 1.

This program is everything... delightful, funny, dark;  the fashion is always on point!

BBCA more than made up for Orphan Black bei g off the air.

Jodie Comer is right up there with January Jones (as Betty Draper) for my most enjoyable actress to watch.

Remarkable witing and programming, I am grateful.

• Love 10
(edited)
On 5/4/2019 at 4:27 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

How to make hagelslag

Hagelslag is SO GOOD and I hadn't had it in years. I went out and bought some after seeing this and am eating it right now. YUM.

Edited by apollonia666
  • Love 2
(edited)

Fantastic! Killing Eve just won the Bafta TV award for best drama. Jodie Comer & Fiona Shaw also won best actress and supporting actress. Congrats to all.

Edited by HollyG
  • Love 24
4 hours ago, HollyG said:

Fantastic! Killing Eve just won the Bafta TV award for Killing Eve. Jodie Comer & Fiona Shaw also won best actress and supporting actress. Congrats to all.

FINALLY Jodie!  So happy for her and the show of course. Would love for her to get the Emmy next.

• Love 12

When Villanelle was holding Amber after killing the woman's handler, for lack of a better word, it seemed like Eve wanted to smile. She was angry and shocked but she also felt almost amused to me.

• Love 6
(edited)

So...now that we’ve replayed the exact same beats with Niko as we did last season...can we finally be free of the dude? It’s not that I don’t sympathize with him (though I think he will clearly be better off without Eve--RUN don’t walk away Niko), but his being around accomplished exactly zero this season other than eating a lot of airtime. It's been a waste of narrative space. It told us Eve finds him hella boring and wants the danger of the spy/Villanelle life. Which we have known since the pilot episode, so…please, let’s be done with Niko. More and more it’s feeling like the show actually doesn’t know what to do with Eve. If we get rid of Niko, it may actually be motivated to find out.

I really hope Amber comes out of this unscathed. I might have cheered a little when Villanelle smacked the asshole brother in the face, but I feel bad for poor Amber. I kind of want her and Villanelle to stay penpals!

I’m so bummed the show cut the deleted scene with V and Konstantin in Villanelle’s apartment when Eve walks in! That was hilarious! The Villanelle/Konstantin relationship continues to be the highlight of the show. “Why do rich people talk like children?” indeed. I also loved Villanelle’s reaction to Carolyn, which was equal parts needling Eve but also, I think, some real curiosity about Carolyn. Speaking of, the show may not know what to do with Eve, but I’m very interested in what it’s doing with Villanelle. She was clearly prodding Eve with the whole “my best friend died and my husband and I are on the rocks” thing, and got her hackles up when Eve called her on it…but then she listened and adapted, and the whole “I feel nothing and I’m so BORED” speech was pretty real (and I think the tear was too). It doesn’t stop V from killing Amber’s bodyguard/keeper a hot twenty seconds later, of course, but it was real and Eve got that, and Villanelle looked impressed with her own breakthrough afterward, which was interesting. Eve is certainly getting a crash course in Villanelle, and I think we are too.

I got a kick out of Eve and Konstantin in the surveillance van, mostly because I love that those two just disdain each other and don’t bother to hide it. “You're not yelling but it feels like you're yelling” earlier in the episode was also pretty good. And Eve’s frustrated “is there even the slightest chance she read the file?!” countered by Konstantin’s “nope” was genuinely funny. Hee.

Random notes: Eve rifling through Gemma’s stuff was a callback not only to V rifling through Eve and Niko’s house but also Eve looking at Villanelle’s apartment last season; poor Kenny, I also would have NOPED the fuck out of that kitchen; Eve had better be careful with how she talks to Villanelle, because the rose-colored glasses are definitely coming off; I really want Villanelle to meet smarmy Hugo and kick him in the balls; women at the end, if you think you’re being followed and you drop your purse, LEAVE IT.

Overall, this season doesn’t feel like it’s building toward anything. Or rather, it may be clear to the writers, but they’re not making it legible enough to the audience. Have we just totally forgotten about The Twelve? The pacing has been awful. We have two episodes left…can’t believe there are only two episodes left before another yearlong wait.

Niko certainly didn't take long to move on did he?   And I don't believe he's just sleeping on the couch, or he's just friends with the other woman.  

I believe he's sleeping on the couch...I just don't think he will be for much longer. He and Gemma are certainly not just friends, however, and everyone in that room knew it.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 8

Heh, Eve was kinda digging being the bottom for a change. Too bad Niko figured out that he's basically her sidepiece now.

So Carolyn really likes being messy in her personal life. Her poor son.

When Eve pushed Amber's bodyguard into that bus I actually gasped. Surely that would have been captured on a nearby security camera. Isn't London pretty much blanketed with cameras?

Aaron is a supercilious creep. He'll be lucky if all Villanelle does is kill him. One Aaron kebab coming right up!

• Love 6
(edited)

From the re-air, some thoughts: I wonder if Villanelle's "Billie" name was intended to be a reference to Bill, and thus another poke at Eve?

Villanelle's "who do you want?" to Eve as she ran through her various personas was so obviously meaning-laden, heh. That said, does Jodie Comer's American accent slip every once in a while...or more often than every once in a while...or is it just me?

Eve's "this felt like a one night stand" was truer than she knows--she's become such a different person Niko would probably say he doesn't recognize her. They are, now, strangers....

Did Carolyn just call V "Vill," because if she did, that would be awesome.

Villanelle’s realization that asshole brother is a bully was a nice mirror to Eve’s realization of the same a few episodes ago. 

Villanelle swallowing her earpiece, and Konstantin telling Eve she did and Eve freaking out, was also pretty good. It’s interesting that Eve and Villanelle didn’t meet face-to-face after they argued after the first AA meeting (at which she stuffed the fly into the muffin like she did the earpiece at dinner). Villanelle definitely has a pattern—she does something real and then has to do something violent and/or sexual after. She also doesn’t like being told she acts like a kid, even though she totally does.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, PumpkinPK said:

Oh, how I do love this program so!

I was trying so, so hard to save all of Season 2 to marathon-watch over the 4th of July holiday, but I cabed and watched S2 Ep 1.

This program is everything... delightful, funny, dark;  the fashion is always on point!

BBCA more than made up for Orphan Black bei g off the air.

Jodie Comer is right up there with January Jones (as Betty Draper) for my most enjoyable actress to watch.

Remarkable witing and programming, I am grateful.

This show is my crack.  I savor every moment, and laugh inappropriately all the time.  Villanelle is one of the most entertaining and delightful TV characters I have ever watched.

• Love 16

Great news about the Bafta! Those wins are very well deserved! Jodie is just a master craftswomen at work every single week. 

I am really liking watching Eve and Villanelle on the same team, its a very different dynamic then the cat and mouse stuff, even when we have no clue who is the cat and who is the mouse. Villanelle snapping at Eve was an interesting look at their current dynamic. Villanelle can be just as dangerous to people she likes as she is to people she hates, maybe even more so. And her line about how the most interesting thing about Eve being her was a nice look into how she thinks. Everything is filtered through how it affects her, even her relationships, as they may be. 

Carolyn is into fencing! Its nice to see her keeping up with her many, many hobbies. Poor Kenny, you know he has a long history of running into his moms various gentlemen of dubious relationship and morality. 

Poor Amber, I hope she comes out of this alright. She seems so terribly lonely, with only her asshole brother and her AA meetings for company. No wonder she got so attached to this fake person so quickly.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

does Jodie Comer's American accent slip every once in a while...or more often than every once in a while...or is it just me?

Not just you. I was surprised, by how poor it was, considering how well she does with others.

• Love 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Great news about the Bafta Awards!

Niko certainly didn't take long to move on did he?   And I don't believe he's just sleeping on the couch, or he's just friends with the other woman.  

AAh! Im so happy for Comer, Shaw & Waller-Bridge. It was very deserved. They both looked fabulous, also. That whole team did.  Wonderful mimic of her nan , who passed: "You get it off me, y'know."  I couldn't love this group more. I'd love to see Comer and the Ladybird actress in something, together.

I think Eve put it together finally , after she was caught messing up Niko's ladyfriend's bras, that they slept together. When she says, 'You're right. Nothing is going on here,' to Niko, and then says to the other woman, "I hope you like the missionary position!"  lol That was great (and the name of the episode, I think).

I think V is going to make gyro meat out of Amber and feed it to her brother. Im not sure why she was following the two women from the Greek restaurant, unless she's going to practice making gyros out of them?  I mean, I know V is creative and capable, but that's going a bit far, when you need all the machinery to do it.

I love the score of  KE ! The piece that  comes on when a character is in action, "Oo rroom Oo rroom ..." lol, Im beginning to hear that in my brain, when I'm in action, now.

I'm squeamish about the violence V employs, but it was so satisfying when she hit the brother in the face. Eve obviously isn't, as she didn't really show any empathy for the woman V pushed under  bus.

I liked the beginning of the episode, with Eve and Niko. I love that Eve is so complex, and Oh has a knack for playing her sexy-funny, but never downplaying her sexuality, or making it a farce.

Love seeing Carolyn so put together and suave with all her gentlemen friends who pop up, lol Poor, Kenny.

Edited by Butless
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, stealinghome said:

So...now that we’ve replayed the exact same beats with Niko as we did last season...can we finally be free of the dude? It’s not that I don’t sympathize with him (though I think he will clearly be better off without Eve--RUN don’t walk away Niko), but his being around accomplished exactly zero this season other than eating a lot of airtime. It's been a waste of narrative space. It told us Eve finds him hella boring and wants the danger of the spy/Villanelle life. Which we have known since the pilot episode, so…please, let’s be done with Niko. More and more it’s feeling like the show actually doesn’t know what to do with Eve. If we get rid of Niko, it may actually be motivated to find out.

I really hope Amber comes out of this unscathed. I might have cheered a little when Villanelle smacked the asshole brother in the face, but I feel bad for poor Amber. I kind of want her and Villanelle to stay penpals!

I’m so bummed the show cut the deleted scene with V and Konstantin in Villanelle’s apartment when Eve walks in! That was hilarious!

The Villanelle/Konstantin relationship continues to be the highlight of the show. “Why do rich people talk like children?” indeed. I also loved Villanelle’s reaction to Carolyn, which was equal parts needling Eve but also, I think, some real curiosity about Carolyn. Speaking of, the show may not know what to do with Eve, but I’m very interested in what it’s doing with Villanelle. She was clearly prodding Eve with the whole “my best friend died and my husband and I are on the rocks” thing, and got her hackles up when Eve called her on it…but then she listened and adapted, and the whole “I feel nothing and I’m so BORED” speech was pretty real (and I think the tear was too). It doesn’t stop V from killing Amber’s bodyguard/keeper a hot twenty seconds later, of course, but it was real and Eve got that, and Villanelle looked impressed with her own breakthrough afterward, which was interesting. Eve is certainly getting a crash course in Villanelle, and I think we are too.

I got a kick out of Eve and Konstantin in the surveillance van, mostly because I love that those two just disdain each other and don’t bother to hide it. “You're not yelling but it feels like you're yelling” earlier in the episode was also pretty good. And Eve’s frustrated “is there even the slightest chance she read the file?!” countered by Konstantin’s “nope” was genuinely funny. Hee.

Random notes: Eve rifling through Gemma’s stuff was a callback not only to V rifling through Eve and Niko’s house but also Eve looking at Villanelle’s apartment last season; poor Kenny, I also would have NOPED the fuck out of that kitchen; Eve had better be careful with how she talks to Villanelle, because the rose-colored glasses are definitely coming off; I really want Villanelle to meet smarmy Hugo and kick him in the balls; women at the end, if you think you’re being followed and you drop your purse, LEAVE IT.

Overall, this season doesn’t feel like it’s building toward anything. Or rather, it may be clear to the writers, but they’re not making it legible enough to the audience. Have we just totally forgotten about The Twelve? The pacing has been awful. We have two episodes left…can’t believe there are only two episodes left before another yearlong wait.

I believe he's sleeping on the couch...I just don't think he will be for much longer. He and Gemma are certainly not just friends, however, and everyone in that room knew it.

I like Niko. I like to watch this actor. So I want him to stay around. He had to leave her, in order for him to stay alive. I think V would have killed him. She was creepy crawling through their townhouse. Maybe she broke in , looking for him, initially.

What scene with Eve & Konstintin was cut? Is it online somewhere?

I agree about the highlight of the show being V & Konstantin !

The  highlight of the show for me, though, was  K & Eve in the surveillance van, and how he was jovially eating the noisiest things, one after another, lolll I hope he doesn't die any time soon. I LOVE his laugh, loll

Ok, I love so much about this show, that I am willing to overlook a lot of things, and just enjoy the ride. I admit it.

But the whole collaboration with a serial killer thing, I could do without. It takes all the tension out of things, and that is the deliciousness of this show.

And in the previous show, V tells Eve, " Are you going to give me everything?" And Eve said, "Yes."  That smacked of a sexual request. Now, V seems bored of Eve, and contemptuous, as she plays her. When she threw that woman under the bus and stared at Eve, it seemed less like she was showing off for her, and more of a threat. Look what I can do. I can do it to anyone.  If they are going this way, then it's going to get very dangerous for Eve, very fast. Where do you go with that?

I also got the feeling that V was sizing up Carolyn "You're the REAL boss, right?" And Carolyn seemed slightly creeped out by her.

• Love 8

And now we learn Carolyn fences. And brings her fencing club to the workplace, apparently. (Unless it's the fencing club of MI6, which I totally believe exists.) My love for these little character notes is boundless. Boundless, I say!

• Love 5
On 5/12/2019 at 2:34 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Carolyn: I can't stand breakfast. It's just constant eggs. Why? Who decided?

As someone who gets grossed out by eggs, this made me smile.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Butless said:

I like Niko. I like to watch this actor. So I want him to stay around. He had to leave her, in order for him to stay alive. I think V would have killed him. She was creepy crawling through their townhouse. Maybe she broke in , looking for him, initially.

I thought that when V stopped by Oxford to chat him up that she told him he was safe. He may actually have re-endangered himself by moving in with another woman, if V believes that it's hurt Eve. (Alice Morgan would have done it -- and I think did it -- for Luther.)

• Love 2

What scene with Eve & Konstintin was cut? Is it online somewhere?

It was one of the deleted scenes that plays during the commercials. You can see it here (admittedly not in HQ!). But the faces they make are amazing.

But the whole collaboration with a serial killer thing, I could do without. It takes all the tension out of things, and that is the deliciousness of this show.

And in the previous show, V tells Eve, " Are you going to give me everything?" And Eve said, "Yes."  That smacked of a sexual request. Now, V seems bored of Eve, and contemptuous, as she plays her. When she threw that woman under the bus and stared at Eve, it seemed less like she was showing off for her, and more of a threat. Look what I can do. I can do it to anyone.  If they are going this way, then it's going to get very dangerous for Eve, very fast. Where do you go with that?

I don't think Eve and Villanelle working together HAS to rob the show of some tension by default, but I agree that I'm not loving how the show is executing the Eve/V team-up right now. I've always thought Eve and Villanelle would eventually work together, but doing so as part of an MI-6 operation to catch some asshole tech guy and then Eve goes home at night while Villanelle just hangs out with Konstantin? No. The show seems really afraid to shake up its own status quo, but the status quo doesn't really work when suddenly it's "and Villanelle is there too!"

I thought Villanelle throwing the woman under the bus was a threat, a moment of showing off, AND a moment of seduction all in one. I don't think Villanelle is bored/contemptuous of Eve, exactly (though she does feel those things for the life Eve chooses to live), but it does seem pretty clear that Eve and Villanelle are learning that they had idealized the other person in their head, and that the reality doesn't mesh with the fantasy. Villanelle clearly doesn't understand why Eve chooses to be bored/boring, and hasn't appreciated how Eve has treated her (V reacts extremely poorly to being told she's NOT doing well/failing and also to feeling like she's being taken for granted). I was actually glad to see Villanelle push back a little on Eve this episode; Eve has been treating Villanelle too much like she's tame, and it's good for her to be reminded that V has teeth. And it's interesting, too, that Villanelle saw Niko and Eve's little dom/sub exchange earlier in the episode. It's almost like she took notes and that and thought "hey, being accommodating hasn't gotten me anywhere with Eve so far, so let me try taking a harder stance." At the end of the day, it did end up working....

More broadly, I do think the psychodrama that the show is having them play out is interesting, not least because Eve and Villanelle kind of met in the middle in this episode (which is a stark contrast to Eve and Niko being UNable to and falling apart). They don't meet again face to face after the blowup in the coffee shop, but after their fight, Villanelle DOES get real in the AA meeting, which produces the result Eve wants, and Eve DOES wind up ending her relationship with Niko, which is what Villanelle wants. The "compromise in a relationship" metaphor is pretty clear.

5 hours ago, Butless said:

I think V is going to make gyro meat out of Amber and feed it to her brother. Im not sure why she was following the two women from the Greek restaurant, unless she's going to practice making gyros out of them?  I mean, I know V is creative and capable, but that's going a bit far, when you need all the machinery to do it.

Ha, and I assumed Villanelle was angling for a threesome with the women at the end of the episode!

I actually wonder if it will be vice versa--V is going to kill asshole brother and feed him to Amber. I could see her thinking it's just, in her twisted psychopathic way.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Butless said:

I think Eve put it together finally , after she was caught messing up Niko's ladyfriend's bras, that they slept together. When she says, 'You're right. Nothing is going on here,' to Niko, and then says to the other woman, "I hope you like the missionary position!"  lol That was great (and the name of the episode, I think).

I liked it when the ladyfriend shot back "yes" when Eve snarked at her about liking the missionary position.  However, I'm afraid that Nico and/or the ladyfriend won't make it out of this alive.  They might not be gyro meat (I think that's reserved for the asshole brother) but it's going to be bad. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I'm afraid that Nico and/or the ladyfriend won't make it out of this alive.  They might not be gyro meat (I think that's reserved for the asshole brother) but it's going to be bad. 

I think that at this point, Villanelle is just happy to drive a wedge between Eve and Niko. If anything, their estrangement is probably what's keeping Niko alive because it means he's out of the picture. If Eve and Niko were still happily having sex all the time, Villanelle would see him as a threat to her relationship with Eve and be more apt to kill him. But I can imagine that somewhere down the line, Villanelle may kill Niko and/or Gemma, either because she genuinely thinks she's doing Eve a favor by getting rid of them or to hurt Eve (or possibly even frame Eve).

• Love 4
On 5/11/2019 at 7:58 PM, 12catcrazy said:

No, didnt look like a Bosch.  I looked it up - its called The Corpses of the De Witt Brothers.  They were apparently two Dutch aristocrats who got caught on the wrong side of violent revolution.   Ugh.

Their livers were also eaten by the mob that killed and hanged them up. Further foreshadowing the cannibalistic gyro?

I cackled when Villanelle cracked Aaron across the face with the book, and maybe that says something about me. I feel like something gross is going on behind Aaron's posessiveness with his sister. He's way too domineering and controlling, limiting both his and Amber's socializing to only each other and in effect keeping her all to himself, to be only about his security paranoia.

Speaking of, I assumed their house would have some kind of automatic transmission scramblers or something, which would've explained why Aaron would be cool with having one of Amber's AA randos over for "family sups" instead of going out somewhere public to eat, especially since he's still suspicious of her after the background check. Barring that, I'm surprised Aaron didn't wand Villanelle down for listening devices, assuming he didn't know the whole time and is toying with "MI6." I still doubt that Carolyn is working in any official capacity, if she can't get any actually trained agents for the op and instead hires on a sociopathic assassin with zero impulse control. I don't think this is about the father's murder or his company's overreaching in data mining. I think Aaron's got dirt on the Twelve, which is why Carolyn and Konstantin are in on this, and it's something they have to get from him alive.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I cackled when Villanelle cracked Aaron across the face with the book, and maybe that says something about me. I feel like something gross is going on behind Aaron's posessiveness with his sister. He's way too domineering and controlling, limiting both his and Amber's socializing to only each other and in effect keeping her all to himself, to be only about his security paranoia.

I agree. Amber is quite clearly scared of him--her body language is screaming as much in the scene where Villanelle clocks him with the book--and I don't think it's only because he is a raging asshole who says mean things.

I don't think this is about the father's murder or his company's overreaching in data mining. I think Aaron's got dirt on the Twelve, which is why Carolyn and Konstantin are in on this, and it's something they have to get from him alive.

I hope this is the case, because I'm not quite sure why the show would make such a big and constant deal out of his "I know everything" schtick otherwise.

• Love 9

Niko knows that Eve works for MI6, and that Bill was murdered on the job, so why is he so shocked at Eve doing her job?      Hasn't he ever seen a 007 movie?    

Whatever happens to Aaron, isn't going to bother me a bit.  

• Love 4

Unlike last week and some of the other episodes this season, this one had me pretty riveted. Maybe because it was heavier on Villanelle than Eve, and the dynamic with Eve and Niko finally shifted a bit (they genuinely surprised me with the dom stuff at the beginning, but I was also relieved when he moved out). And the Peel dude is infuriating, but not so much that you want to watch something else. You want to keep watching because you’re hoping someone smacks him in the face with a philosophy book. A Michelle & Robert King kind of antagonist/bully.

Eve and Konstantin both trying to “run” V at once was also a new dynamic that was fun to watch. 

• Love 6

It's somewhat puzzling that Carolyn, after sequestering "The Ghost" in an isolated container and torturing her to reveal what Peel is doing, is pursuing a more or less legal (at this point, anyway) path to catching Peel in whatever he is doing that is so dangerous to national security.  Why not just shanghai him off to the container and deal with him directly?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

It's somewhat puzzling that Carolyn, after sequestering "The Ghost" in an isolated container and torturing her to reveal what Peel is doing, is pursuing a more or less legal (at this point, anyway) path to catching Peel in whatever he is doing that is so dangerous to national security.  Why not just shanghai him off to the container and deal with him directly?

I have to handwave all the New World Order/The Twelve stuff. The show doesn’t work for me if I have to pretend some real or even “gray” government agency would employ someone like Eve. 

Not that your point isn’t valid. 

• Love 2

Still bored.  I can't believe they never tried to give any backstory or context to Eve's relationship with her husband or her frustrations.  The show has lost something, but I can't put my finger on it.  Eve is a mess and not in a good or interesting way..I also do not like the new team.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

To be fair, it's very different to kidnap and (psychologically) torture the average assassin than it is to kidnap and (psychologically) torture a super paranoid, super rich, super high profile famous person who you can't charge with any crime and who the media will notice goes missing about .5 seconds after it happens. Also, is Peel really a danger to national security, or does Carolyn have another off-the-books agenda when it comes to him?

Still bored.  I can't believe they never tried to give any backstory or context to Eve's relationship with her husband or her frustrations.  The show has lost something, but I can't put my finger on it.  Eve is a mess and not in a good or interesting way..I also do not like the new team.

Personally, I don't want to see any backstory on Niko, Eve/Niko, or Eve's life pre-Villanelle stuff. Watching Eve be bored with her life doesn't make for riveting TV imo. We know what we need to know already--she's been bored as fuck with her life and Villanelle livens things up.

I think the problem is that Eve is stagnant as a character right now; she doesn't feel all that different than she did at the end of S1. The writers have been too afraid of moving her forward in her arc that they haven't moved her at all. They have basically just replayed her arc from S1 this season. It's frustrating.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 8