Type keyword(s) to search

Seasons 1 and 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

Killing Eve has been renewed for S2

BBC AMERICA President and GM Sarah Barnett said, “This show has the thunder of women on both sides of the chase in Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer and, importantly, behind the camera with the lavishly brilliant Phoebe Waller-Bridge. The early response to Killing Eve has been incredible – for that reason, as well as the fact that we wholeheartedly love this original, funny, thrillingly entertaining series, we are delighted to move ahead with a second season before we even premiere.”

We have similar threads like this for Game of Thrones, The Handmaid's Tale, Outlander, etc. so I thought it might be useful for Killing Eve too. Sometimes non-book readers have questions about the books but don't want to be spoiled, so here is the place to ask!

Book readers, please use the quote function to quote the question you are answering and be sure to put your answers under the spoiler tag. This allows non-book readers to find out the answers to their questions without being spoiled about everything else asked in the thread.

For example:

What is Eve's real name?

Spoiler

Eve is her real name!

• Love 2

My DVR picked up a new "episode" of Orphan Black.  The first 30 minutes were a clip show of the "best" episodes of OB.  The next 60 minutes were the premiere of this show.  So strange.

It was pretty good.

(edited)

It's also streaming on BBC America's web page. I'm surprised they would put it up before the premier tonight. I hope they'll be streaming all of it since I don't have cable and am already hooked.

My favorite scene was toward the end with Fiona Shaw and the milk. I took it to mean that Eve is now a spy for MI6. I wonder how long she'll be able to keep that from her husband and whether she'll draw in her former, now unemployed boss and assistant.

Also, I wonder if Villanelle (a character name I can easily remember because she's the villain and because it's one of my favorite types of poem) purposely went against her handler's orders to make the assassination look like a suicide to "show off" or if it was just too tall an order given all the guards around.

For a minute I thought the young Polish guy Eve brought to the hospital was dead, but I'm glad the show didn't go that dark, at least not yet. So far I'm enjoying the semi-light-hearted take on a brutal assassin.

Edited by Sesquipedalia
  • Love 13
(edited)

I'm in, I loved it. Great to have Sandra Oh back on a show.

I took it to mean that Eve is now a spy for MI6. I wonder how long she'll be able to keep that from her husband and whether she'll draw in her former, now unemployed boss and assistant.

I thought she was being recruited and that if she came to breakfast then that would be her joining.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 10

Absolutely fantastic. I haven't been this excited about a new show since Orphan Black. Sandra Oh is immensely likable. In fact, about twenty minutes in I realized I like just about every single character, they're all so well-drawn and the casting was spot-on. Eve is hilarious, intelligent, morbid, and relatable. I loved her immediate response when her husband asked her how she'd kill him (and it's hilarious how many women I know can give such detailed answers to that very question). Really, really enjoyed it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 22
(edited)

I'm intrigued! I thought they were pushing the killer a bit too much, in commercial outtakes and all, but that could be my Sandra Oh bias showing.  Looking forward to next week. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I thought it was a very strong pilot, and I'm looking forward to next week already.  Also, "dickswab" is going into my repertoire immediately.  ;-)

Loved her co-workers annoyed "Oi!" that she'd stolen the insult he wanted to use to their boss.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
(edited)

Loved the pilot! A nice balance of playful snark and heartfelt drama. The actress playing the assassin looks a lot like Betty Gilpin from "Glow" and "Nurse Betty."

Edited by numbnut
  • Love 8
(edited)

Loved this also. Right from the opening scene with Eve I knew I was going to really enjoy this. I laughed so much when Eve was screaming in bed and then she tells her husband that she fell asleep on both her arms. "wait they're coming back now." HA! I never expected that. Sandra Oh has such a great deadpan comic delivery.

I don't remember Eve's male co-worker(boss?) but he is great too.

The end scene with the dickswab Frank:
"...Just to be clear."
"You're fired"

"Excellent"

Loved the croissant bit.
Oh yeah, and Jody Comer is pretty good too. Impressive she has to learn different languages and do some stunt work too.  I was a little afraid she was going to do something to the little old lady bringing her garbage out. I kept thinking, please don't hurt the little old lady.  When she put that hair pin thing in the old guy's eyes, she injected something too right? I'm guessing that's what really killed him?

I dig that song...I have...to kill you...I'm really sorry....

It's nice to have some originality on tv!  Yeah for Sunday's at 8pmEST!

Edited by Valny
  • Love 13
11 hours ago, Sesquipedalia said:

I wonder if Villanelle . . . purposely went against her handler's orders to make the assassination look like a suicide to "show off" or if it was just too tall an order given all the guards around.

Oooh, I completely forgot that the last murder was supposed to look like a suicide.  It WILL be interesting to see how her handlers react to that.

Excellent kick-off to a show with a fresh perspective and a bent sense of humor.  I was really sorry when the episode ended and was even more sorry when I realized I wasn't watching on Netflix and could not binge the next couple of episodes right away.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, slf said:

Absolutely fantastic. I haven't been this excited about a new show since Orphan Black. Sandra Oh is immensely likable. In fact, about twenty minutes in I realized I like just about every single character, they're all so well-drawn and the casting was spot-on. Eve is hilarious, intelligent, morbid, and relatable. I loved her immediate response when her husband asked her how she'd kill him (and it's hilarious how many women I know can give such detailed answers to that very question). Really, really enjoyed it.

I had a genuine belly laugh at how, in detail, she described how she would kill him and dispose of his "smoothie" dead body in another location (so it couldn't be traced back to her, my guess).  

What a great new show and it's on the top of my DVR list.

• Love 9

Loved Fiona Shaw's absolutely blank expression, giving nothing away, creating one impression while meaning something else entirely re: changes in the department. I hope there are plenty of scenes between her and Sandra Oh. Also hope that Bill (?) sticks around.

Favorite scene w/Villanelle was her looking at the guy in the ice cream shop to gauge how to react. (Though she does exhibit some emotion ... not that I know much about sociopaths.)

• Love 9

In the aftermath of her recent assignment, Villanelle is ordered to take a break. Never one to do as she's told, she goes ahead with her next mission regardless. Meanwhile, Eve is given a dream opportunity to join a secret MI6 unit tracking Villanelle and the shady organisation she works for.

Promo:

Given the number of British actors who effectively do American accents, is there some reason why Sandra Oh does not have a British one in this show? Is there a plot explanation, or will it be the “British but grew up in the US”, which I think was the explanation on Fortitude, where Stanley Tucci worked for Scotland Yard without a trace of an accent. It’s a bit jarring when the character works for British Intelligence.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Rickster said:

Given the number of British actors who effectively do American accents, is there some reason why Sandra Oh does not have a British one in this show? Is there a plot explanation, or will it be the “British but grew up in the US”, which I think was the explanation on Fortitude, where Stanley Tucci worked for Scotland Yard without a trace of an accent. It’s a bit jarring when the character works for British Intelligence.

I've always felt that it's overstated how well British actors can do American accents. I can always tell. Australians, too. Every time I come across a rerun of Without A Trace I cringe my way through Poppy Montgomery's near-constantly fluctuating accent. I did some googling about Eve's background and it seems that

Spoiler

Eve is half-British and was raised in the States.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Rickster said:

I know someone else said she has dual nationality -and Sandra is just using her normal Canadian accent anyway

Given the last time I heard her do a 'British accent' (there is no single accent by the way) it maybe a god thing.

• Love 1

Eve: My head. What time did we leave last night?
Niko: It all ended when you and Bill sang "A Whole New World."
Eve: Oh, yeah. No one could follow that.

Frank: Thank you all for giving us your Saturday. Turns out people are still murderous bastards on the weekend.

Eve: Does anyone in the department speak heroin Polish?

Niko: Should I be jealous?
Eve: Always be jealous.

Eve: Can you pull Margit Polsen from the registry and any other active female assassins under the age of 45?
Elena: I got Margit.
Eve: How big are her tits? Breasts.
Elena: Okay, I know you're into assassins but I refuse to talk about them this way. They're people too, you know.
Eve: Elena!
Elena: Massive. She appears to have massive pendulous breasts. Is that doing it for you?

Villanelle: You should really ask before you touch a person.

Eve: How would you kill me if you could?
Niko: Um, I don't know. Push you down the stairs?
Eve: No, seriously. They'd come for you immediately.
Niko: I don't know. Flatter you to death. Okay, how would you kill me?
Eve: I'd paralyze you with saxitoxin and suffocate you in your sleep, chop you into the smallest bits I could manage, boil you down, put you in a blender, then take you to work in a flask and flush you down a restaurant toilet.

Niko: You're in the wrong department. You should have been a spy.
Eve: Yes, exactly. Thank you.

Bill: Our job is weird but it's also boring.

Bill: We've been bull shat.

Carolyn: Buy some milk. Or he'll think you're having an affair.
Eve: Oh, I don't think he'd ever think that.
Carolyn: They all think we're having affairs before they think we're secret agents.
Eve: Oh, no, I think Niko would assume I was an agent before  ever thinking that I was having an affair.
Carolyn: You might want him to think you're having an affair then.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Nitpick: (char)coal pills don't have any taste so Eve saying it didn't taste good made no sense. And just in case anyone wants to use it as a hangover cure, it also absorbs anything else you've ingested so don't take it a few hours within any other medications. Activated charcoal is what's used for drug overdoses but you can use it for a lot of stomach ailments. Just be forewarned that it will turn your poop black.

I was already excited about this show just based on the two main actresses. I will always have love for any of the actors from My Mad Fat Diary (you should have seen how excited I was when Danny Two Hats showed up on Galivant!) so I was ready for Jodie Comer (I can still hear Rae's voice saying, "CHLOE" in that northern accent) and Sandra Oh was rarely given enough good stuff to do on Grey's Anatomy.

I love that both Eve and Villanelle have wicked senses of humor (as do several of Eve's coworkers). Since this is a show about murder, it's nice to have some levity. I had to laugh when Niko's method of hypothetical murder was pushing her down the stairs (which, as she said, would make him look guilty right away) while Eve had a complicated multi-step plan.

I'm so glad that Dom wasn't killed in the hospital massacre! I think that Villanelle was definitely showing off there. If she had wanted to follow orders and make it look like a suicide, she could have come to the hospital in the middle of the night. Instead, she came early enough that Dom's parents thought he was playing bridge, so she knew almost certainly knew that she would have to kill several other people.

So how exactly is Eve's new job going to work? Will MI6 give her a day job and a cover story or is she just supposed to pretend she's unemployed and running a lot of errands? Ha, the worst part about being a secret agent is that she won't be able to tell Frank that MI6 hired her because they were smart enough to recognize and appreciate her skills!

• Love 7

^^ I mix charcoal in water, was always confused when I saw them mix it with things like spirulina, in fancy juices. I thought that would take away any goodness from the fruit/veg/supplements in the juice. 

I would be freaked out of someone could tell me exactly how they would kill me, but I love Sandra Oh, and this was fun. I also wish this was on Netflix, with everything there to binge. It's refreshing to see something English on BBC America, though - it seems like whenever I check the channel, that it has turned into the new Scifi channel. 

I might watch this again, with my dad. I think he'll like it. 

• Love 5

I am loving this. Two great actresses with a phenomenal supporting cast. I've been longing for something like this - a well-written mystery featuring a smart British female cop (or spy) - while I await the next (?) installment of Happy Valley.

Villanelle showing off is a little like a bratty teenager stealing mom's car and driving it into a fence. Only, creative murder.

Teeny quibble: Villanelle learning to mimic personalities and facial expressions is what I've seen other TV sociopaths do. I think the most recent one was Andrew Cunanan in the Versace story. A bit predictable. I had not heard of Jodie Comer; she's terrific in this.

• Love 5

Really was surprised how much I liked this. Sticking it in Sunday at 8pm isn't exactly a vote of confidence by BBC America. But their scheduling decisions often confound me.

I never watched Grey's Anatomy so I was ignorant as to how great Sandra Oh is. She's so natural!

For a minute I thought the young Polish guy Eve brought to the hospital was dead, but I'm glad the show didn't go that dark, at least not yet.

Yeah I am too and given that they yelled at Eve for putting him in danger, I assume he made it out alive...but that crime scene would lead you to believe he didn't. Would the assassin had left a witness? 

And yeah, there's no way the security at the hospital would have been so lax. But in not watching this for realism.

Also - great soundtrack! 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

Would the assassin had left a witness? 

He wasn't a witness though. The nurse told Dom and Eve that it would be a few minutes before they could see the patient, so Eve went to the bathroom and apparently Dom left to get coffee or snacks (I think he came back with a small paper bag) and was shocked when he saw the carnage, so he didn't see anything.

• Love 12

I have loved Fiona Shaw since the great one-two punch of My Left Foot and Mountains on the Moon. She's great in every blessed thing, bringing subtlety and shading to even the most tertiary of characters. Value added to any cast.

Not a Grey's person, but I did see SO in Sideways, where she did a lot with a little. Eve is a good part; she's kicking it. She has great chemistry with her co-actors, that's for sure.

Honestly, when I saw the adverts for the show, I was expecting a Lifetime-type Woman in Jep thing.  This is so much more satisfying and fun.

• Love 12

He wasn't a witness though. The nurse told Dom and Eve that it would be a few minutes before they could see the patient, so Eve went to the bathroom and apparently Dom left to get coffee or snacks (I think he came back with a small paper bag) and was shocked when he saw the carnage, so he didn't see anything.

Aw thanks! Can't believe I missed that. Phew. Lucky kid.

When Eve went into the hospital room and started screaming for help (with nobody coming, pfft), the young Polish kid walked into the doorway and stared at her. I was afraid for a minute that Eve was going to be accused of the murders because she was kneeling over the victim. Which would have been super annoying so I'm glad the show didn't go down that stupid road.

I want to binge this, dammit.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Mumbles said:

there's no way the security at the hospital would have been so lax.

I thought Villanelle just killed everyone. I haven't rewatched yet, but I thought she was wearing scrubs when she saw Eve in the bathroom, meaning no one would stop her (of course) walking in, and then she just killed everyone, including security. I thought there was security; maybe not.

• Love 4

Oh yeah, she killed the guard. That was the dead body that Eve saw in the hallway that started her screaming for help before she even went in the room. Plus the nurse with the 'fun scrubs was dead by the window.

Edited by attica
  • Love 6

There were two security guards with Kasia, whom Villanelle killed, and two nurses as well as other staff (we saw at least one doctor). One of the nurses, the one in the "fun scrubs", was also killed. We didn't see the other bored one at the nurses station when Eve was walking back to Kasia's room; she definitely wasn't killed because Frank said there were four people killed. I'm not sure if Kasia was kept in a locked ward or not - being a witness in the assassination of a Russian politician - and if so, would it be possible for Villanelle to lock the ward, effectively shutting out other personnel, while she killed Kasia and then unlocking it when she left? Seems a little far-fetched, though. I'm not sure how quickly nurses and doctors can respond to a call button if there's no one at the station or if staff in other parts of the hospital would've been alerted some other way and how long it would've taken them to get to the room. Seems like it was less than a minute from when Eve hit the call button to when Dom showed up.

On 4/11/2018 at 8:50 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Yeah, that sweet kid told Eve they should've brought Kasia something like chocolate so he went off to find some.

• Love 6
On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 6:15 AM, Rickster said:

I've heard her try a British accent in another British show - it was not good at all.  (I see that Humbugged also saw Thorne: Scaredy Cat, which was good even if Sandra Oh's accent was not.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

So in this interview, Oh talks about the accent thing:

Did you ever consider doing a British accent?
Oh you know what? I asked them! Early on, it’s like, oh did you need that? Because if it is, I gotta start practicing right now. It’s a very British show, it’s a very European show, and so they really wanted a grounding American element. They wanted there to be a North American/American presence. And I like that also because Eve is an outsider. And one of the ways is that she did not grow up in the culture.

• Love 11

Here's a weird question:

Can anyone tell me the name of the movie or show that came on AFTER the Killing Eve pilot on BBCA?  Peter Boyle was a character named "Clyde."  It started with Clyde reading some predictions from a tabloid newspaper and then having a short exchange with a man who was on his way to consult a palm reader.

Thanks!

I really enjoyed this, but can someone answer a question for me?  Why was Eve fired?  They kept saying it was her fault the witness was killed which...how was it her fault, exactly?  Did I miss something?  I guess she was being made the scapegoat because they had to blame someone and she was there and brought a minor, but personally I would have been demanding to know how it was my fault that a guarded witness was killed.

It would have made more sense to me if she was fired for interviewing the witness without permission, and then taking a recording of the interview home so "civilians" could interpret it, but the big boss seemed surprised to hear about that.

• Love 4

She was fired for interviewing the witness that got killed. It was out of the jurisdiction of her group, plus she illegally recorded the convo. And then she called that dude a dick swab.

12 hours ago, candall said:

Here's a weird question:

Can anyone tell me the name of the movie or show that came on AFTER the Killing Eve pilot on BBCA?  Peter Boyle was a character named "Clyde."  It started with Clyde reading some predictions from a tabloid newspaper and then having a short exchange with a man who was on his way to consult a palm reader.

Thanks!

Wasn't it an X-Files ep?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, attica said:

Wasn't it an X-Files ep?

One of the very, very best: "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose."

I loved Eve's enthusiasm for Villanelle's MO and how she had to apologize so it didn't seem like she was pro-murder. Heh. I hope the show can stay at this level. And yes, Fiona Shaw always instantly improves anything she's in.

• Love 6
On 4/9/2018 at 6:19 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Nitpick: (char)coal pills don't have any taste so Eve saying it didn't taste good made no sense.

Nitpickier: She didn't comment on the taste, she said "ew, gross" - and that was a heck of a large pill. So she could be talking about its "gag me" size.

OTOH (maybe overthinking here) she washed it down with a hot beverage (she had just microwaved it) - which in my (unfortunate) experience could mean that the gelatin capsule started dissolving before it washed down completely. Which could mean she was indeed talking about the taste.

I really liked the show and I'll keep watching. I love Sandra Oh. I haven't seen most of the other cast, except for Fiona Shaw (and only know her from Harry Potter), but I knew I'd like her when she asked Eve the question in the first meeting.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3