Type keyword(s) to search

Seasons 1 and 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, stealinghome said:

That said, does Jodie Comer's American accent slip every once in a while...or more often than every once in a while...or is it just me?

I kept thinking I heard a bit of the Russian accent in there. (I also have a clogged ear and can't hear very well so maybe it's just me.)

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I kept thinking I heard a bit of the Russian accent in there. (I also have a clogged ear and can't hear very well so maybe it's just me.)

I heard the Russian slip. And since Jodie Comer is not Russian, I assumed she was pulling a Tatiana Maslany and letting a few rough edges of all the layered facades slip through. I seem to recall it happened after V was getting irritated by the Peel guy.

• Love 14
On 5/13/2019 at 7:33 AM, rur said:

I thought that when V stopped by Oxford to chat him up that she told him he was safe. He may actually have re-endangered himself by moving in with another woman, if V believes that it's hurt Eve. (Alice Morgan would have done it -- and I think did it -- for Luther.)

Not sure about that, since V was the one encouraging the other woman to throw herself at Niko. I think she just wants him out of Eve’s life.

• Love 3

While I enjoy the hell out of Fiona Shaw and Carolyn I do feel like they try to make her scenes as humorous and even absurd as possible, and maybe not quite so informative as I feel they should be. She was hilarious last season, too, but there seemed to be more substance to her role.

• Love 3

This is my first post on PRIMETIMER.  Almost had a heart attack when I thought Previously TV had just disappeared like Television Without Pity got shut down. That one still hurts.

I still love this show but I think we are supposed to believe Villanelle has decided to kill, and serve as a gyro, two random young women for funsies. and that bothers me.  While I don't approve of her actions I can at least understand them when she kills for money, kills to protect her identity, kills to escape, or even, although most morally bankrupt, when she kills to cause pain to an enemy, but the only reason I can come up with for killing those randos was that they seemed to like each other and she was jealous that other women have normal friendships and she is stuck with somebody who stabbed her and a junkie who she is only pretending to be friends with.  I mean we have to see if she does kill them and if so what she does with them but I fear they may leave it ambiguous. 

Is everybody convinced that Carolyn doesn't know that Villanelle killed the female body guard?  I think she knows because she is smart and she interrupted Eve when she was going to tell her about it.  I think she was deliberately not letting Eve tell her what happened so she could maintain plausible deniability.  I have a hard time thinking somebody who has been in the gave as long as she is going to believe a body guard just HAPPENS to get killed when there is a professional assassin on the spot.

• Love 5

I'm not convinced it'll be the random women going into the meat thing. I think perhaps Villanelle was just fucking with them to make herself feel better and in control after what happened with Aaron. He's the one she's going to put in the meat grinder. 

• Love 12
(edited)
9 hours ago, MDKNIGHT said:

This is my first post on PRIMETIMER.  Almost had a heart attack when I thought Previously TV had just disappeared like Television Without Pity got shut down. That one still hurts.

Waves hello, and welcome again, @MDKNIGHT.  We've been through the wringer with all the MBTV/TWoP/PTV/Primetimer shit - and yet, here we are!

Edited by walnutqueen
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8

Is everybody convinced that Carolyn doesn't know that Villanelle killed the female body guard?  I think she knows because she is smart and she interrupted Eve when she was going to tell her about it.  I think she was deliberately not letting Eve tell her what happened so she could maintain plausible deniability.  I have a hard time thinking somebody who has been in the gave as long as she is going to believe a body guard just HAPPENS to get killed when there is a professional assassin on the spot.

Oh, Carolyn TOTALLY knows V offed the bodyguard/keeper. She just doesn't really care and, as you said, wants to maintain plausible deniability.

• Love 11

S2.E7: Wide Awake

Villanelle dives deep into the dangerous world of her target under the guise of her newfound persona, Billie; Eve may have worrying competition for Villanelle's affections.

Promo:

Clip:

Original air date: 5/19/19

Villanelle: Do you want to talk about it?
Eve: I really don't.
Villanelle: You'll feel better if you do. Honesty is the best policy.
Eve: Two AA meetings and suddenly you're the expert on honesty?
Villanelle: Yeah.
Eve: You know those things you said in the meeting?
Villanelle: Which parts?
Eve: You said you don't want anything, you don't like anything, that you're bored. Do you mean it?
Villanelle: I don't know.
Eve: You don't know if you're telling the truth or not?
Villanelle: Not really.

Girl: Thank you. For the...
Villanelle: The sex?
Girl: Yeah.

Villanelle: You're welcome.

Carolyn: Let Villanelle know the safeword is "gentleman." We're running out of good safewords.

Villanelle: Always close the curtains. You never know what kind of pervert could be outside.

Carolyn: I hate to be strict but [Villanelle] really mustn't kill anyone.

Aaron: Which flavor?
Villanelle: Mmm, orange.
Aaron: I told them to get rid of the orange ones.
Villanelle: I like orange chocolate.
Aaron: It's disgusting.

Villanelle: Do you ever get lonely?
Aaron: Never. I'm with people all the time. I know things about them even their closest friends don't know.
Villanelle: You don't want to talk to them? Touch them? Sleep with them?
Aaron: Gawd, no. Do you?
Villanelle: Yeah, I do. All the time.

Hugo: Do you think we need to call Carolyn?
Eve: No, [Villanelle]'s handling it.
Hugo: I'm not worried about her. I'm worried about us.

Hugo: Don't watch me while I"m changing. I know what you're like.

Hugo: Thanks for the threesome.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

While I appreciated Kenny's attempt to warn Eve not to go to Rome, Carolyn interrupting was no excuse not to drop it. We have all this technology that allows you to contact a person. You can call, text, email, Skype, Facetime, whatever. Or hell, just arrange to meet somewhere and tell her in person.

Ha loved that Villanellle's packing method was balling up clothes and putting them in her suitcase.

Aaron's control freak ways were totally creeping me out - and that was even before we saw that he was watching her the whole time and making her spit out a pieece of chocolate just because HE doesn't like the flavor. Far be it for me to align myself with someone as gross as Aaron, but I must confess that I don't like orange chocolate either.

I should probably feel bad that Gemma is dead, but eh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Oh, Konstantin. Telling Villanelle that if the mission goes sideways, she and Eve are on their own is probably not the best way to ensure she stays on task (but I have a feeling he knows that).

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 5/7/2019 at 5:57 PM, tennisgurl said:

I dont think that Eve is a psychopath, she feels too strongly for that. And while Villanelle so often seems to have to fake normal human interaction to hide her psychopathy, Eve is totally honest in her feelings and reactions. I think that Eve is obsessive, and that obsession could lead her down a dark path. I think she has always had some issues (like in the first season when she stabbed herself), but her obsession with Villanelle is just making it worse and worse, as her interest in female killers, especially Villanelle, is becoming less of an interest and more identification. 

This is what I just told dad, when he asked me what I was watching. I said that one was a hit woman, the other was MI5 (?), and that they are obsessed with each other. I think I did use the word psychopath, though.

• Love 3

So many people love Villanelle. I don't, and I don't think that she's gorgeous, either. I am more amused by her this year. 

She needs to shock. She needs to let people - including Eve - know that she will not be controlled. That she will do as she wishes, no matter what. 

Eve's husband is a douchebag. I guess they had to find a way to get her to be angry enough to push her boundaries. I can understand his feelings, in a way, but not to the point of rushing off to sleep with the woman who is obsessed with him. What a twat (both him, and the other teacher). 

• Love 4

Where is this proof that he slept with her?  She saw sexy underwear in the drawer when she was snooping but owning nice underwear is far from proof that she's sleeping with the husband. Did I miss something?

• Love 7

I think the show's tried to make it clear that they're not sleeping together. In the last episode, he told Eve that he's sleeping on the sofa downstairs. And in this ep, when he thanks Gemma in the storage unit, telling her she's already done enough, she suggestively says that she "could always do more."

• Love 13

I must have got the wrong idea, I was doing something as that part played. Still, why is he sleeping on *her* couch? Eve already mentioned that it was obvious that she wanted him. 

• Love 3

So what was Villanelle's reason for killing Gemma? Because the woman wanted Eve's husband, to get back at Niko for leaving Eve, to get Eve's attention, or to work out some aggression?

• Love 7
(edited)

This episode was kind of a womp-womp for me. I liked parts of it, but ultimately it established that...Aaron is one creepy asshole/psycho and knows too much about people, which I'm pretty sure we already knew? Eve is too emotionally involved when it comes to Villanelle, which we definitely already knew? This is the season's penultimate episode, and it feels like it didn't advance the main plot along any. We better not be headed for an "Aaron kidnaps Villanelle and Eve has to find her in S3" finale...don't know why but I'm getting a bit of a bad vibe that that might be the case.

I DID dig the Eve/Villanelle interaction, especially at the start, it was easily the highlight of the episode. I LOLed at Eve's frustrated "Is there anyone else here?!?!" after the two girls did the stride of pride out the door (and I totally called it--Villanelle was angling for a threesome). But that was a really interesting scene with the two of them before that, mostly because I don't think Villanelle was trying to seduce Eve--she just genuinely wanted to talk and hear about what was bothering Eve. And Eve responded to that honest attention. I'm not sure I think Eve was jealous of the girls, though...she knows she's special to Villanelle. I think, by the way, Eve isn't the only person who gets off on being watched. They definitely get along better from a distance.

Curious as to what other operation Carolyn is running that overlaps with Eve's in Rome, and why Kenny was warning Eve off Villanelle. I'm wondering what the larger picture is here. Eve and the psycho expert was also interesting, mostly because she totally already knew she's too involved, but needed someone to say it to her so she could walk dramatically away, ha.

Eve/Hugo is ewwwww, but I'm kind of enjoying Hugo NOT enjoying being the convenient body/not being liked for his personality. Suck it, frat boy.

It's not that I mind Villanelle killing Gemma, because I can totally believe that Villanelle would kill Gemma. But the way it was done made me side-eye. Villanelle wants Eve and ergo wants Niko out of the picture, reasonable. She knows enough to know that Eve would never forgive her if she killed Niko, check. And Niko admits that he doesn't love his wannabe-girlfriend, so presumably is still a threat to her and Eve, so needs to be kept away. So she...decides that killing Niko's wannabe-girlfriend is the way to go because somehow that will make Eve less mad or unable to forgive her? That's where the logic is failing me. Like, Villanelle is certainly childlike and impulsive and doesn't always think things through, but what does she think the outcome will be here? This feels a little bit like the show manufacturing drama for the sake of drama. I did really enjoy V asking Niko about the shepherd's pie though, ha. I would actually watch a webseries that is Villanelle dropping in on Niko and asking him random weird questions as he tries to go about his life.

What IS Konstantin getting out of all of this? And who the hell are the Twelve and why have we given up on trying to figure out who they are?

Despite this season's unevenness, I can't watch live next week and AM bummed by that, so that's something.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 10

I think Villanelle killed Gemma, because she wanted to kill someone, and she couldn't kill Niko, so Bye, Felicia to Gemma.    I'm sure Niko will run far away from Eve now.   

Also, V. was told not to kill without authorization with Aaron, and the Ghost, so that irritated her too.  

• Love 6

Can someone please explain to me the reason why Aaron is doing this thing with Villanelle? I don't know if I missed something.

Glad that V didn't hurt Nico, I was concerned she might but then also thought like Villanelle that if she ever did anything to him,Eve would never forgive her.

• Love 4

I haven't watched tonight (yet), but maybe now Eve's husband will realize that she wasn't making his night all about herself - Villanelle really was there, and she was really concerned. 

• Love 4

Can someone please explain to me the reason why Aaron is doing this thing with Villanelle? I don't know if I missed something.

I think it's a combination of her being the one person he seems ever to have met who stands up to him and isn't cowed by him; fascination with "Billie" because he knows he knows nothing about her (I think he guesses that "Billie" is a cover but that just makes her more interesting); and his instinctive sense that they are alike, as that conversation on the couch proved.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, slf said:

So what was Villanelle's reason for killing Gemma? Because the woman wanted Eve's husband, to get back at Niko for leaving Eve, to get Eve's attention, or to work out some aggression?

Because she was annoying. I think.

So wasn’t it entirely possible that Aaron had Villanelle under total surveillance in her boudoir? And since I assume she’s aware of this why did she speak out loud in her normal accent to Eve?

• Love 9
3 hours ago, slf said:

Villanelle's excitment over getting the recipe for shepherd's pie from Nico was hilarious. 

If I were Villanelle, I would have demanded more specifics from him. All he gave her was a shopping list, not an actual recipe!

• LOL 4
  • Love 11

Both Nico and V called it 'worcester' sauce. I guess that's a UK thing? Is it only 'worcestershire' sauce here stateside? (BTW, that is the ingredient that makes it shepherd's pie-y, other than just a ground-beef braise.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, attica said:

Both Nico and V called it 'worcester' sauce. I guess that's a UK thing? Is it only 'worcestershire' sauce here stateside? (BTW, that is the ingredient that makes it shepherd's pie-y, other than just a ground-beef braise.)

Both pronunciations are common in the states but I believe only the former is accurate.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, slf said:

I'm not exactly sure and it's probably some combination of things. However, Villanelle did ask Nico whether he loved Gemma or Eve. When he answered Eve, Villanelle mentioned that if he had chosen Gemma she would have sent them on their merry way. So, I think it's to show Nico what's in store for him if he doesn't leave Eve alone?

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, attica said:

I grew up there, and called it something like Wooster sauce. 

Shepherd's pie, you mix together the browned meat and a few veggies, then put mashed potato on top, and brown that in the oven, from what I remember. Mum used to make it. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 2
On 5/18/2019 at 8:47 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Hugo: Thanks for the threesome.

Line of the night. Or the next morning, as it were. 

14 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Curious as to what other operation Carolyn is running that overlaps with Eve's in Rome, and why Kenny was warning Eve off Villanelle. I'm wondering what the larger picture is here.

If Carolyn is part of The Twelve, then they may want both V and Eve dead. So, they complete the mission by finding out who the potential buyers are of the super surveillance app/program and can arrest Aaron. At that point, both V and Eve are expendable. As someone else mentioned upthread, The Twelve plot has not been mentioned since V and Konstantin struck out on their own. 

While part of me wants to hear V have to use the safe word so Eve must rush to the rescue, another part of me really, really wants V to kill Aaron in a delicious kind of way. Maybe by poisoning a shepard's pie. 

• Love 7

(BTW, that is the ingredient that makes it shepherd's pie-y, other than just a ground-beef braise.)

Don't tell that to the originators of shepherd's pie, because ... LAMB.

Aaron is simply too fucking creepy to live much longer.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 14

That is what I use in mine. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, attica said:

Shepherd’s pie is made with lamb mince.

Beef mince is used in cottage pie though.

• Love 9
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:47 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Aaron: Which flavor?
Villanelle: Mmm, orange.
Aaron: I told them to get rid of the orange ones.
Villanelle: I like orange chocolate.
Aaron: It's disgusting.

Well, now we know who the real psychopath is!  I mean, orange chocolate really is yummy.

• LOL 6
  • Love 6

The sad thing is, I actually know the distinction between lamb/shepherd and beef/cottage pies. When I make it, though, I usually use ground turkey, just to Stick It To The Man. 😉Sometimes even tempeh! Take that!

5 hours ago, slf said:

Both pronunciations are common in the states but I believe only the former is accurate.

I've only ever seen it as 'worcestershire', like so:

image.png.3b0152b31638393201c869c9763ed4bb.png

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

It's right there in the name.

Mum used to use ground beef, because it was cheaper (over here, at least). 

34 minutes ago, Lily H said:

Well, now we know who the real psychopath is!  I mean, orange chocolate really is yummy.

LOL. I used to buy chocolate orange, and let the individual pieces melt on my tongue. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I honestly don't understand Eve's (or anyone else's, for that matter) fascination with Villanelle.  She's just a cold-blooded twit of killer who has bad fashion choices.  Nothing at all interesting about her, at least to me.  The actress is not attractive enough to hold my interest in even looking at her (but then neither is Oh).  I find Nico and Henry and even Hugo to be far more interesting.   

Edited by Ohwell
Spelled V's name wrong. Shows you how little I care about her!
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:
2 hours ago, PrincessTT said:

Shepherd’s pie is made with lamb mince.

Beef mince is used in cottage pie though.

It's right there in the name.

Doh!!  Never made that connection before.  Thx, PLT!

• Love 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, stealinghome said:

So she...decides that killing Niko's wannabe-girlfriend is the way to go because somehow that will make Eve less mad or unable to forgive her?

E would never forgive V for killing Niko, as V explicitly said. However, V does want Niko out of E's life for good. E would be hard pressed to give a rat's ass about Gemma. She wouldn't like that V killed her, but wouldn't be torn up about it. Niko however, would never be able to forgive Eve for bringing Villanelle into their lives. He would hold V accountable since she did the actual killing, but would Niko or Gemma have ever been on V's radar if not for E?

Gets rid of the husband forever without killing him and there's no way E could be mad at her for long, if at all.

Edited by jelaine
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

AMC Premier

AMC Premiere is a premium upgrade to the AMC channel that's part of your existing pay TV package. Members can watch current AMC shows ad-free and get early access or full-season access to select shows. Plus receive perks like special content, exclusive extended episodes, bonus scenes, sneak peeks, uncut movies, and more. (From the website)

or watching from a country ahead time wise of the US showing of the episode....

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, kieyra said:

Can I ask how so many people seem to have seen this episode on Saturday? Did it leak or something?

It was mentioned earlier in the thread (at the beginning of S2) that the episodes are available on Friday night through AMC Premiere. 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, kieyra said:

Can I ask how so many people seem to have seen this episode on Saturday? Did it leak or something?

It streams on AMC.com on Friday nights