Type keyword(s) to search

S34.E14: No Good Deed Goes Unpunished / S34.E15: Reunion

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, backformore said:

Probst's hypothetical question "what if Brad had voted Sarah out instead of Tai?"  was flawed.  a 5 - 5 tie?  Maybe.   But, it's also possible that Troyzan would have received a vote or two, and then it wouldn't have been tied.   People who voted Sarah over Brad, might not have voted for Tai.  If they were voting "anyone but Brad", they may have voted for Troyzan.

It's a dumb question.  At the reunion they all had time to watch how things were edited, see what people had done that they were unaware of, etc.  They cannot accurately answer how they would have voted, only how they think they would have voted.

6 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

I don't think I like this way of breaking the tie.  This would mean that the person who casts the tiebreaking vote would have had the opportunity to watch the entire season and see & hear everybody's secrets and (possibly not so pleasant) interviews. 

I have to respectfully disagree. From most of the comments I've seen, the majority of viewers aren't necessarily upset that one of their favourites got screwed by a twist, they're upset because the mechanics of the game just seem wrong when 5 immunities can be in play with only 6 people left. To get booted from the game with zero votes is a crappy way for anybody to go out, no matter who it is. 

I would hope that the vote to break the tie would be done while they're still on the island.  As someone suggested they could ask each of the the final 3 to make a vote so nobody knows who tied in advance.

As for the 5 immunities being played in one TC with 6 people left - those are the breaks.  Tai and Troyzan held onto their idols forever, especially Tai who could have played one earlier and nobody would have thought it was a mistake (I thought he would have played an idol at least twice before that TC).  Since none of the votes counted they'd have a revote, the only person eligible would be Cirie and so she'd go home anyway.  Since she can't vote for herself and she can't vote for one of the other five I wonder if she would have had to turn in a blank parchment.

6 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I was briefly a bellhop during college and they do live off of tips.  I would put a bellop in a similar category as a waiter or waitress.  If anything, I think a bellhop needs to "hustle" a little more, as his/her tips are going to be entirely dependent upon how the guests like his/her service, and unlike waiters and waitresses is there isn't a universally known customary tipping standard for bellhops.  

Plus not everybody who goes to a hotel uses a bellhop, I never do.  I don't have a choice but to use a waiter/waitress when I go to a restaurant.

I seriously wondered before the season started and for a good while into the season why they cast Sara.  Gamechanger is one of the last words I would have used to describe her based on her first season.  But she started making moves and playing smart and I realized by the end that she was the only acceptable winner.  She had a great FTC - answering people, owning up to her moves and explaining how how she behaves in the game doesn't reflect who she is in real life.  And she's not Brad or Troyzan.

Brad was obnoxious early on, going for the beefy guy alliance (no icky girls!).  Then he got humbled a bit and kept himself in check until they got down to the final 6 or so and he decided to let his full personality shine through.  Troyzan was simply along for the ride.  Ozzy's comments during the FTC revealed why he has never won - he doesn't understand anything other than the immunity challenges as being important.

And I'm definitely a fan of the new format for FTC - it was much more interesting than "my question to you is you suck."

• Love 9
1 minute ago, JudyObscure said:

[Culpepper Law firm commercials] "A little swagger never hurt either."

Okay.  Now I hate him. 

Yeah, they both come across as complete assholes in that ad.  It's almost a parody!

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Runningwild said:

Just got out of a meeting and there was a guy in short sleeves and a tie. And I live not too far from Tampa. 

As far as Michaela and her attitude toward Brad, it's typical of her. I never saw her wanting to have anything to do with Brad other than ordering him to fish but somehow he was supposed to learn more about her than her job and her school. I have good friends that I've known years that I don't know where they went to college. I think he told me once but I can't remember for certain. I don't think that means we're not good friends and I'm not social with them. 

I don't think that was the point of the question though. It was intended to poke some holes in his argument that he played a great social game. Had the question come from Hali, it would have been just as valid. Culpepper got himself in a situation where he was sitting on top of an alliance and he didn't really have any use for anyone outside of that. Even some of those within that group, like Debbie, he appeared to do the bare minimum to keep them on his side. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

I don't think that was the point of the question though. It was intended to poke some holes in his argument that he played a great social game. Had the question come from Hali, it would have been just as valid. Culpepper got himself in a situation where he was sitting on top of an alliance and he didn't really have any use for anyone outside of that. Even some of those within that group, like Debbie, he appeared to do the bare minimum to keep them on his side. 

Who wants to spend extra time with Debbie? I think Brad tried to socialize and befriend people. Some, like Michaela, weren't receptive. 

• Love 2

I think Brad wore short sleeves to show off his biceps.  That was the first thing I noticed.  I'm glad Sarah won.  I get Brad was upset with Tai and Tai's indecision and crazy play.  So don't tell him things and don't depend on him.  It was not so much what he proposed to Tai, but how he did it.  It was beyond condescending and belittling. Like Tai said, everyone lies and schemes, why is he any different.  Well, he's worse at it, but he's right.  And don't give me Brad needed a snickers.  He won a lot of reward challenges--he participated in the last 4 reward challenges.  As for puzzles--it was impressive he did well.  but as others pointed out--they were proceeded by physical challenges.  Also, football players have to be able to read defenses and learn plays--I would think that would help with seeing the whole picture.  Michaela could use needing a snickers as excuse--didn't she have only a short time between the shows she was on

I don't like all the puzzle challenges.  I think there should be more of a mixture to give everyone more of a chance.  

I don't think whoever wins the most challenges should expect to win.  The game is more than that.  Brad let his guard down at the end.  I really don't like all these "quasi" celebrities playing either.  One of the biggest things about this show is the chance to win a million dollars.  These people don't need it (as Brad says) but the others often do need it.  They are participating in large part for the chance to win money, not just test themselves.

I still like Tai--but he's unsuited for this game. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I just wish Troyzan had told Probst, "I agree with Brad and this "what if" game is stupid and I'm just not going to play it. It's not an accurate prediction of who would have won and you just like to play it to try and hype this show. If you want to play it, you will be playing without me."

Edited by MissBluxom
38 minutes ago, UncleChuck said:

I think the flaw was not too many idols, but poor game play that left them in play far too long.

Did "They" know how many idols were there?  "They" being the whole tribe , not just the idol holders and their nearest allies.

Troyzan-did anyone know he had his?

Tai- we saw him play one early on, but who knew two and when?  Did Aubrey know and when did brad know?  Did he have other allies?

Did anyone know Sarah had a second advantage?
Did anyone know JT had one and left it? 

So much of our (our = TV land viewers who are really interested in Survivor) interpretation of what was going on was based on what we were shown in the finding of idols (esp. Tai). Had we been clueless and thought them idol-less, would our reality be closer to the tribe's reality?

(edited)
3 hours ago, Alapaki said:

Next season:  Another season of over-generalized and misplaced characterizations and stereotypes.  Fuck you Burnett.  Over-under on how many "heroes" are from Boston?  And none of you first-responder "heroes" better think about giving anyone CPR.  No "healing" from you!  "Hustlers".  Because "no collar" was too high-brow a concept.

I have to wonder just how much Burnett has to do with this show anymore. I suspect it is Probst who decides all these ridiculous formats.

Heros vs Hustlers vs Harlots?

Sounds like another whacko idea from Probst. Very hard to maintain any more interest in this show. I sure hope it will get cancelled soon.

Probst has found a way to get good ratings. It involves pandering to the worst segment of the population and his greatest talent is in pandering to them and getting good ratings. But unfortunately, it just makes so many of us puke.

P.S. I know that "harlots" isn't one of the three groups. I just didn't care enough to look it up.

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Special K said:

Here in NY, the men in business dress wear suits and long-sleeved shirts even in summer.  Even down in the ridiculously hot subway.

I know NY is not Tampa, but it is an urban heat island! 

It's not just a question of climate, but also the degree of formality of any given place.  I live in the tropics in a country that is on the more informal side and short sleeve dress shirts (never with a tie) are the norm for business wear in most offices, except in very formal situations.  But I've worked in other tropical countries where full business suits are required no matter how hot it is.  I've seen this in the US if you compare how men dress in our NY or DC offices vs. our Miami office.  Despite being the same company, the dress codes are very different depending on the location.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Runningwild said:

Just got out of a meeting and there was a guy in short sleeves and a tie. And I live not too far from Tampa. 

As far as Michaela and her attitude toward Brad, it's typical of her. I never saw her wanting to have anything to do with Brad other than ordering him to fish but somehow he was supposed to learn more about her than her job and her school. I have good friends that I've known years that I don't know where they went to college. I think he told me once but I can't remember for certain. I don't think that means we're not good friends and I'm not social with them. 

I agree, it goes both ways.  I would not want to play with Michaela, I am not fond of her style in that regard.  I came to adore her, she has entertainment value.  Her social game was not brilliant either.  She was carried along for her vote for the most part.  She posed no threat of winning.   She was a pure delight at Pondersosa!  

Maybe if she plays again she will bring that into the game. 

Re bold.  Brad was not coming out of work on a hot day in Florida, leaving his jacket behind in the office.  The tie was odd, out of place and nuts. 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, watch2much said:

I think Brad wore short sleeves to show off his biceps.  That was the first thing I noticed.

Ha, if that was his intent, the rest of his look negated it for me. I didn't get a chance to notice the guns because I was so bewildered by the terrible haircut, mustache and nerdwear. A polo shirt or a nice, high end t-shirt would have accomplished that goal so much better.

I'm glad Sarah won.  I get Brad was upset with Tai and Tai's indecision and crazy play.  So don't tell him things and don't depend on him.  It was not so much what he proposed to Tai, but how he did it.  It was beyond condescending and belittling. Like Tai said, everyone lies and schemes, why is he any different.  Well, he's worse at it, but he's right.  And don't give me Brad needed a snickers.  He won a lot of reward challenges--he participated in the last 4 reward challenges.  As for puzzles--it was impressive he did well.  but as others pointed out--they were proceeded by physical challenges.  Also, football players have to be able to read defenses and learn plays--I would think that would help with seeing the whole picture.  Michaela could use needing a snickers as excuse--didn't she have only a short time between the shows she was on

Didn't Brad have a bellyful of chicken parm at that point? Also, he'd gone on so many rewards, he was far from starving out there. 

I don't think whoever wins the most challenges should expect to win.  The game is more than that.  Brad let his guard down at the end.  I really don't like all these "quasi" celebrities playing either.  One of the biggest things about this show is the chance to win a million dollars.  These people don't need it (as Brad says) but the others often do need it.  They are participating in large part for the chance to win money, not just test themselves.

Yeah, that's another reason I'm glad he didn't win, I'd rather see the big money go to someone who doesn't have millions of their own. 

• Love 3

I loved the new FTC format.  I didn't love Sarah's win. I actually really liked Brad. Man, though.... he looked bad at the reunion.  It always amuses me when people look worse fed, rested, and showered than they do after 39 day of the island.

22 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I agree, it goes both ways.  I would not want to play with Michaela, I am not fond of her style in that regard.  I came to adore her, she has entertainment value.  Her social game was not brilliant either.  She was carried along for her vote for the most part.  She posed no threat of winning.   She was a pure delight at Pondersosa!  

Maybe if she plays again she will bring that into the game. 

Re bold.  Brad was not coming out of work on a hot day in Florida, leaving his jacket behind in the office.  The tie was odd, out of place and nuts. 

I think this season was going to be very tough on Michaela from the start.  She had just finished playing the prior season, so she didn't get to see her season, and she had to be physically depleted.  Plus, she was playing with mostly older players and didn't have any pre season alliances so she didn't have a natural "We".  She got a lot further than I expected.  

• Love 10
2 hours ago, OldWiseOne said:

I laughed so hard when one of the jurors (Michaela I think?) said he was like Sandra without the sass after he described his game strategy.

It was Aubry who said that, in a very matter of fact way, too. I thought it was funny!

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I think this season was going to be very tough on Michaela from the start.  She had just finished playing the prior season, so she didn't get to see her season, and she had to be physically depleted.  Plus, she was playing with mostly older players and didn't have any pre season alliances so she didn't have a natural "We".  She got a lot further than I expected.  

This makes sense.  If she is asked to play again, and she will be, I trust we will see a very different and more  mature player.  Watching back she assuredly learned a lot.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, dolphincorn said:

More like a phys-ed teacher who has to teach one period of science a day because of budget cuts. I think I was in his class in 1979. He was also a Mormon.

You had him too, huh?

3 hours ago, Runningwild said:

I agree with Brad, I don't know what answer she was looking for. 

2 hours ago, blackwing said:

Let's face it, it was Michaela.  No matter what he said, she was going to find fault with him.  

<snip>

I really don't understand what kind of answer she was looking for.  

Michaela didn't give a shit about Brad's answer, because no answer he gave would be correct enough.  Culpepper could have recited multiple personal details about Michaela, down to and including her blood type - after which Michaela would have castigated him for not knowing her shoe size.

That's because Michaela's goal was not for Brad to answer the question; it was for Michaela to have the opportunity to express sarcasm and disdain at whatever answer Brad might give.  Because for all of Michaela's "Oh look I don't have a grudge against anybody" posturing, brass tacks were she simply really didn't like Brad - and probably really REALLY didn't like Brad sitting there at F3, when obviously better players (such as herself) got their asses parked on the Jury bench.  Thus her question - asked not to elicit an honest response, but instead to provide a target on Brad's weakest point (his social game) against which Michaela might most effectively direct her torpedos to sink his game.  And it no doubt worked, to at least a degree.

Such tactics also make me understand Brad's response better, in context; Brad knew no answer he gave would be "good enough".  No way in hell was Brad getting Michaela's Jury vote EVER, so why waste valuable Jury talk time trying?

And yet another example of why I don't like Game Michaela - her tactics have me defending CULPEPPER of all people, and I don't even like the sumbitch.  Why couldn't Reunion Michaela have been in the game instead?  I liked her.

• Love 7

Living in AZ, we always joke that if we see someone in a suit and tie, they must be bankers visiting from out of state.  We rarely see dress shirts (of any sleeve length), and even more rarely see neckties.

So, having said that, I think the problem with the shirt that Brad was wearing was that it appeared to have been purchased in the boys' department.  It looked at least two sizes two small.

• Love 2

Also, I don't understand why some people find it offensive that Brad grabbed Tai in a bear hug and lifted him off of the ground. There is quite a height difference. To me it just shows  a great deal of affection.

• Love 2
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Nashville said:

And yet another example of why I don't like Game Michaela - her tactics have me defending CULPEPPER of all people, and I don't even like the sumbitch.  Why couldn't Reunion Michaela have been in the game instead?  I liked her.

I agree with your entire post.  She will be back and she will bring Ponderosa Michaela with her.  Well, she will kick a puzzle she doesn't win, too.  It will be a mix.  

Brad could have said a lot of things to make it better but as I said earlier, he was so sure everyone else felt as he did, there was no need to pander. 

7 minutes ago, Runningwild said:

Also, I don't understand why some people find it offensive that Brad grabbed Tai in a bear hug and lifted him off of the ground. There is quite a height difference. To me it just shows  a great deal of affection.

I do not believe Brad has any deep affection for Tai.  I am not sure I would either.  It was frustrating to watch him (and anyone) play so poorly.  I am surprised he made it to F4.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Runningwild said:

Tai had made it clear to Brad and everyone else, that he did not like Brad trying to intimidate and treating him like a child.  Picking him up that was something one would do to a child, so it reinforced the idea that Brad did not see Tai as a fellow adult and an equal, and that he just didn't get it.   Plus lifting him up that way could be seen a physically intimidating, though I don't think that was the intent.  Brad should have just crouched down a bit and given him a man to man hug.  Again, I doubt Brad meant anything bad, but I think it was a bad optic.  

Without the context of Brad's earlier treatment of Tai, the bear hug would have been a non issue.  

• Love 11

I know Tai is the designated whipping boy for every season he plays, but I still don't see where Brad gets off being upset with him at all. Their alliance fell apart, first because Debbie was an obnoxious idiot in the way she spoke to Aubry and ended up getting herself voted out, and, second, because even though Sierra knew that at the next TC, Zeke was the one on the chopping block (which she only knew because she was trying to flip to save herself), she didn't do anything with that information. No one tried to flip Zeke or pull Sarah back in; they just chose to be fatalistic about it and believe it was either Sierra or Tai. Tai voted for Sierra and Sierra voted for Tai. Both understandable. But Brad and Troy sided with Sierra and also voted Tai. They can hardly expect his loyalty after that, but Brad apparently retconned the whole thing in his head to make Tai the villain who deserved the payback of getting idoled out with his own idol. And when Tai didn't go along with this, Brad somehow even managed to be offended by that, spitting fire about how he told Tai he had to turn over his idol and he didn't. Even Troy was like, "butttt you weren't going to give it back to him so ... ?" and seemed taken aback by how shitty Brad was being. Tai played the best game he could after his allies cut him loose; Brad has zero justification to be mad at him for that.

• Love 16
13 minutes ago, Nashville said:

You had him too, huh?

Michaela didn't give a shit about Brad's answer, because no answer he gave would be correct enough.  Culpepper could have recited multiple personal details about Michaela, down to and including her blood type - after which Michaela would have castigated him for not knowing her shoe size.

That's because Michaela's goal was not for Brad to answer the question; it was for Michaela to have the opportunity to express sarcasm and disdain at whatever answer Brad might give.  Because for all of Michaela's "Oh look I don't have a grudge against anybody" posturing, brass tacks were she simply really didn't like Brad - and probably really REALLY didn't like Brad sitting there at F3, when obviously better players (such as herself) got their asses parked on the Jury bench.  Thus her question - asked not to elicit an honest response, but instead to provide a target on Brad's weakest point (his social game) against which Michaela might most effectively direct her torpedos to sink his game.  And it no doubt worked, to at least a degree.

Such tactics also make me understand Brad's response better, in context; Brad knew no answer he gave would be "good enough".  No way in hell was Brad getting Michaela's Jury vote EVER, so why waste valuable Jury talk time trying?

FWIW, in one of her Youtube videos, Michaela said she tried to connect with Brad early in the game, but he just wasn't interested in talking to her.  She really didn't put the blame on him, but said the two of them never hit it off.

• Love 6
  • (Seriously men, there is just no call to wear short-sleeved dress shirts. Ever.) 
4 hours ago, Alapaki said:

Unless you're about to try to sell me a Kenmore refrigerator.  No, no there's not.

My Dad sold refrigerators at Sears and this is EXACTLY what he looked like.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

I know Tai is the designated whipping boy for every season he plays, but I still don't see where Brad gets off being upset with him at all. Their alliance fell apart, first because Debbie was an obnoxious idiot in the way she spoke to Aubry and ended up getting herself voted out, and, second, because even though Sierra knew that at the next TC, Zeke was the one on the chopping block (which she only knew because she was trying to flip to save herself), she didn't do anything with that information. No one tried to flip Zeke or pull Sarah back in; they just chose to be fatalistic about it and believe it was either Sierra or Tai. Tai voted for Sierra and Sierra voted for Tai. Both understandable. But Brad and Troy sided with Sierra and also voted Tai. They can hardly expect his loyalty after that, but Brad apparently retconned the whole thing in his head to make Tai the villain who deserved the payback of getting idoled out with his own idol. And when Tai didn't go along with this, Brad somehow even managed to be offended by that, spitting fire about how he told Tai he had to turn over his idol and he didn't. Even Troy was like, "butttt you weren't going to give it back to him so ... ?" and seemed taken aback by how shitty Brad was being. Tai played the best game he could after his allies cut him loose; Brad has zero justification to be mad at him for that.

Good point.  Tai didn't leave the alliance.  The alliance left him.   

In an exit interview, one of the players (I think Michaela) gave some really, good insight into Tai.  She said that it is not that Tai is naturally disloyal or devious and likes to betray people.  It is that he likes everyone and wants to work with everyone.  So, if castaway A pitches a deal to him in the morning he wants to do it.  But when castaway B pitches another idea in the afternoon, he also wants to do that.  This is what leads to his indecision and flipping. 

• Love 14

Really happy to see Sarah win she played the best game by a mile. 

Totally loved the new tribal format I actually found it way more interesting.

I found Troyzan totally endearing and humble in his final speech, Culpepper kind of whiney but I think he knew he wasn't going to win. Sarah was eloquent and totally owned it.

Loved that Michala and Zeke showed them all how to be a non bitter juror and just appreciate the game very classy.

loved that Sandra wore her tiara and yep she's still the Queen!

• Love 5

Too many idols/advantages. PLEASE stop with them. I thought for sure it would be Tai, Trozyan and Brad, and all I could think was "goat, goat, ass." Given that, I guess I am ok with Sarah winning. But only because of the alternatives. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Good point.  Tai didn't leave the alliance.  The alliance left him.   

In an exit interview, one of the players (I think Michaela) gave some really, good insight into Tai.  She said that it is not that Tai is naturally disloyal or devious and likes to betray people.  It is that he likes everyone and wants to work with everyone.  So, if castaway A pitches a deal to him in the morning he wants to do it.  But when castaway B pitches another idea in the afternoon, he also wants to do that.  This is what leads to his indecision and flipping. 

Note for future castaways if Tai is brought back for a third go: whisper in Tai's ear five minutes before walking into tribal. Problem solved!

• Love 12
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

Note for future castaways if Tai is brought back for a third go: whisper in Tai's ear five minutes before walking into tribal. Problem solved!

If he plays again he should be first out.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Thus her question - asked not to elicit an honest response, but instead to provide a target on Brad's weakest point (his social game) against which Michaela might most effectively direct her torpedos to sink his game.  And it no doubt worked, to at least a degree.

And how was Michaela's tactics any different than Ozzy's, Zeke's or Debbie's, etc?.  They all had questions/comments that were very targeted in their purpose to support their pick.  Her point, was regarding the topic that was being discussed, Brad's (lack of) social game.  

Had Brad answered her question better, instead of fumbling/bumbling the facts from her bio,  he may not have gotten her vote, but he may have gotten someone else's vote who went into final council on the fence.  Let's say if he had answered the question by talking about things he had observed of Michaela and kept it semi positive.  He could have said she's funny, competitive, a bit of a hot head, tell it like it is type, etc, but he kept his distance from her for XYZ game reasons.   That way he could have separated his game relationship with her from his personal feelings about her.  Instead he came off as dismissive and a jerk, confirming other jury members thoughts.  

• Love 17
3 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Now for the interview from Brad claiming that the ring was a fake so it was okay either way, but it was his island and he was calling the shots so he decided to bring Sarah out of the kindness of his heart anyway.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, After7Only said:

And how was Michaela's tactics any different than Ozzy's, Zeke's or Debbie's, etc?.  They all had questions/comments that were very targeted in their purpose to support their pick.  Her point, was regarding the topic that was being discussed, Brad's (lack of) social game.  

Had Brad answered her question better, instead of fumbling/bumbling the facts from her bio,  he may not have gotten her vote, but he may have gotten someone else's vote who went into final council on the fence.  Let's say if he had answered the question by talking about things he had observed of Michaela and kept it semi positive.  He could have said she's funny, competitive, a bit of a hot head, tell it like it is type, etc, but he kept his distance from her for XYZ game reasons.   That way he could have separated his game relationship with her from his personal feelings about her.  Instead he came off as dismissive and a jerk, confirming other jury members thoughts.  

Exactly.  Michaela was voting for Sarah no matter how Brad answered, but others might have been influenced by his answer.  He was trying to claim he played a good social game and her question cut him off at the knees.  

If he didn't know much about Michaela, he could have said something like, "Unfortunately, you and I never got to be very close, for whatever reason, but I can tell you that A has 5 dogs and likes to draw, B is a huge hockey fan and his favorite food is Chinese, C's favorite color is red, and D still sleeps with the same teddy bear she had as a baby."

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

Now for the interview from Brad claiming that the ring was a fake so it was okay either way, but it was his island and he was calling the shots so he decided to bring Sarah out of the kindness of his heart anyway.

It is easy to change history in after interviews.  He was furious with Tai (I would have been, too), no way would he have taken him.  He really thought he had this in the bag assuming Sarah had crossed too many on the jury.  

There is always some face saving in these interviews.  A good example here.  

"Culpepper: Yeah, well, Michaela says, “Go fish for me. If you don’t go get food, you’re going home tonight. You need to make yourself worth it.” 

6 hours ago, Special K said:

Yes, and Debbie NOT voting for Sarah was the same petulant jealousy she unleashed on Hali for no reason.  I don't think she likes to saa any other woman to do better than she does.

Yea Probst should have questioned Debbie on her jealous Lady Tremaine behavior towards Hali. Saying Hali gets everything and getting mad at her on a challenge that required balance and Miss Gymnast Debbie said she could do but when it came to balancing she flunked. What kind of gymnast was Debbie? 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, wings707 said:

It is easy to change history in after interviews.  He was furious with Tai (I would have been, too), no way would he have taken him.  He really thought he had this in the bag assuming Sarah had crossed too many on the jury.  

There is always some face saving in these interviews.  A good example here.  

"Culpepper: Yeah, well, Michaela says, “Go fish for me. If you don’t go get food, you’re going home tonight. You need to make yourself worth it.” 

Revisionist history is the best history of all. 

Well, most entertaining, anyway.

• Love 4
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Exactly.  Michaela was voting for Sarah no matter how Brad answered, but others might have been influenced by his answer.  He was trying to claim he played a good social game and her question cut him off at the knees.  

If he didn't know much about Michaela, he could have said something like, "Unfortunately, you and I never got to be very close, for whatever reason, but I can tell you that A has 5 dogs and likes to draw, B is a huge hockey fan and his favorite food is Chinese, C's favorite color is red, and D still sleeps with the same teddy bear she had as a baby."

I am sure he is running through the woulda, coulda, shouldas to the point of of distraction.  

When you are exhausted, paranoid and sure your immunity run would win it, having a diplomatic answer did not cross his mind as important. 

You have to be able to read a room.  

10 minutes ago, dolphincorn said:

Funny. That's the only reason I like the word.

What word? I scrolled back but missed it. 

Edited by wings707
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

I understand Brad's reasoning, but that was a mistake because as others have pointed out, it wasn't about Michaela. It was about the rest of the jury. By essentially not bothering with the question, the implied answer (well, as I saw it) was, "I talked to people and learned about them, but only the ones I thought were important to me in some way. Not you." 

Because if Brad at some point felt like his life in the game had depended on Michaela? I feel like he would have made that effort, whether or not she was horrible to him. I feel like we saw enough of his play to make that statement. I mean, he realizes he's down and out, he starts talking to Zeke about the Sooners.

He just really fumbled that question and didn't get that others would have wanted to hear something personal he'd learned about them. Instead, he reinforced Michaela's point because he saw the question as only pertaining to her.

Maybe that's a result of the new jury format? Maybe was still thinking of it as a juror asking their question rather than trying to persuade an entire body of people en masse?

• Love 2
  • First, Sarah was a deserving winner. And bonk on the head to Brad for bringing her into the final 3.

And frankly, of all these castaways the only one I want to see again is Michaela. I especially don't want to see Ozzy and Cirie. 4 opportunities is enough chances to get it done. And no more Queen of Survivor, arrogance isn't attractive. 

• Love 4

Well!  Good winner, mediocre season.  A lot of crummy things, why go into them all.  The fact IMO is that Sarah killed it out there, and it's always satisfying to see the person you think played the best game win.  I'm not like 100% in love with Sarah like I am with Kim Spradlin etc, but I'm still gratified by her win.

I do think, just going based on what we saw on TV, she probably made a mistake not going with Tai's idea to force the tie at 4.  Because it is only through sheer stupidity and stubbornness on Brad's part that she made it through.  Logically, even though she worked very hard to minimize the visibility of her swing vote/flipping game (BTW can we agree that Sarah has definitively proven the Dan Foley Rule wrong?), it must have been clear that she was the bigger threat.  And Tai's plan made perfect sense: we can't know, 100%, which of us they will vote for, but we can know that if we force a tie whichever of us it is has a fighting chance to make fire.  And at 4 it literally does not matter if it makes Brad and Troy distrust or dislike her, they can do nothing anymore.  And if I was Sarah I would have confidence that I could beat Tai just as easily as Troyzan.

I also really liked Aubry's pitch against Troyzan, which was sort of the same thing.  It just makes sense to take out Brad's goat.  It's a plus for all three, really, because Tai and Sarah have a better chance of getting to the end, and Aubry has one more shot at winning immunity (and of course, a nice little late game resume bullet if she does make it.)  I can see being afraid of Aubry in FTC, so it's understandable they didn't go for it, but I thought it was a great case.

My theory is Brad's look at the reunion was for purposes of disguise.  Once he's shaved the skeevy stache and put on some real clothes it'll be hard to associate that jerk on TV with the person you're hiring as your personal injury lawyer.  I just can't understand what he was thinking with his strong-arm tactics this episode.  Sometimes it's a thing you do when negotiating but Tai's hurt feelings can really come back to bite you, especially when you decide out of all rational thought to put him on the jury?  I sort of felt for poor old Troyzan who actually did try to modulate Brad's worst instincts but who ultimately was just there for the ride.  But not that bad because he constantly belittles Kim.

18 hours ago, Nashville said:

Er - in a sense, Cirie was voted out.  Probst simply didn't didn't go through the laborious process of:

1. Counting all the now-disqualified votes - resulting in nobody receiving a positive vote count.
  2. Calling for a re-vote.
  3. Having everybody cast a second vote - against Cirie, the only person for whom they CAN vote.
  4. Probst reading through what would inevitably be a unanimous vote to evict Cirie.

Think that would've made Cirie feel better about the situation?  Or the audience?

Who would Cirie have voted for?  She's not allowed to vote for herself...

16 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

A few minutes ago, I realized that if nobody in F6 was safe except Brad, Sarah would have bounced. Where does that rank in lucky breaks on reality shows? The only case I can think of this late is the time Dorothy was going to be "executed" on Mole 2: The Next Betrayal, but her coalition partner Elavia took a bribe to leave the game, unintentionally saving the eventual winner of that season.

Not a lucky break at all.  She had the legacy advantage.  I think even if you hate idols and advantages Sarah's legacy advantage is the most respectable of all in a Survivor context, because she didn't get it from luck (and I'm sorry "Cirie should have just gotten an idol then, cry about it" people, luck is all that really matters in idol-finding) but from social game manipulation of Sierra and getting her alliance to vote for Sierra.  She got the votes, but she damn sure earned the immunity that she got.  And yes I think she would have used it even if Tai hadn't used his because it was a key resume point for her and there was nothing to save it for.

11 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Cirie has the reputation as a puzzle master and the challenge was mostly a difficult puzzle and the other part was a maze, which is also a type of puzzle. If she had lived up to her reputation, Brad would have gone home.

Cirie does not have a reputation as a puzzle master, this is just people putting her in the "mental giant" category and thinking that means every kind of "smart", like how in the Chipmunks, Simon can engineer a spaceship, read all ancient languages, and invent new chemicals, because as the "smart one" he handles all "intelligence" problems.  Cirie is fine at puzzles, but it is the game of Survivor she is a genius at, and yes come fight me in her thread or the past seasons threads if you want to talk about how dumb she is especially about seasons you haven't even seen.  I will relish that.

Is Philippines the last season that had no gimmick tribe names?  (There was a gimmick even in Philippines, with the returning injured players, of course.)  I am happy whenever it's three tribes but I hate how the stupid names influence the game, and put all the same kind of player together, instead of spreading them out.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Mabdul Doobakus said:

It was annoying to me as well, but it probably played better to the jury who aren't getting it in such a condensed format.  They seemed to buy the whole idea that her experiences going undercover allowed her to separate real life from Sarah from Survivor Sarah.  I thought it was a good answer.  

She did an excellent job in that tribal council and played a strong game overall.  I was definitely rooting for her, especially once Cirie left.

I agree that it probably played very well with the jury:

1) It helped them believe that Sarah really did like them, and was able to lie so easily because she was a professional liar (for a good cause), not because she was a sociopath.

2) It may have soothed their egos a bit.  "I'm not an idiot, I got fooled by a woman who makes her living fooling criminals."

I think one of the great strengths of Sarah's game was that she was able deceive people and vote them out without humiliating them or gloating.

• Love 10

One thing about the new Jury Q&A format - which I DO like, compared to some of the previous seasons' defecation demonstrations - it undoubtedly worked against Brad's strengths, and for Sarah's.  Consider:

• The past few seasons' FTCs have all been pretty formulaic: each of the F3 makes a "great game, me" summary speech to the Jury, after which commences the one-question/three-minute-answer-per-juror Q&A.  Very little variation on that in recent years, so undoubtedly what each F3 contestant was expecting and planning for.
  • King Of Settlements or not, Brad is a lawyer and knows how to make a summation, even if he rarely exercises the skill in an actual courtroom - or maybe he's just working on another set of Tom Cruise steak knives, I dunno.  Point being, though, that this is exactly why I suspect Brad had such confidence going into FTC.  No doubt Brad had spent all of the past couple of days at least crafting a masterful summation which, by its end, would've had even the other two F3 contestants saying, "Aww, go ahead and give Brad the money."  (at least, that's what they would have been saying in Bradville).  With the surprise switch to total Q&A, though, all those days of careful crafting and planning, of gauging every word and phrase for maximum effect - ALL that advance prep joined his dick in the dirt.  And Brad doesn't do improv well at all; Brad loves his plans, and despises when things don't play out in accordance with them.
  • Sarah, on the other hand, is a cop who came up through the ranks - google images of Sarah, and most of her non-Survivor pictures are of her in street uniform - and a huge chunk of every street cop's time is spent in public interaction, with most of that interaction being conversational (as opposed to formal, like in a courtroom).  I'm moderately sure the "old" speech-plus-one-question-per-juror format stood a good chance of killing Sarah's chances for a win, simply because she would have responded according to her training.  Both Sarah's speech and Q&A answers would have been given in the same monotone with which DAs coach cops to testify - it gives at least an appearance of objectivity, to avoid giving the defense a handle on making it appear the officer has a subjective emotional investment in seeing the perp canned.  On the downside, however - in every venue outside a courtroom, you'd come off like a droning soulless robot.  Switching to the more conversational format definitely served Sarah for the better.
  • I feel bad leaving out Troyzan - don't know why, everybody else does - but let's face it: Troyzan probably had half a speech worked up, and planned on winging the rest with his the same monumentally earthshaking "hey I'm a nice guy" strategy he's used all season.  So when Troyzan couldn't even use THAT, his go-to response was, "..... nahhh, got nothin'."  Vahalia con Dior, amigo.*

Brad's inability to adapt was obvious; even with the format change he continued to try to give clipped lawyer-staccato answers when he could, and floundered when he couldn't.  In truth, I expect that's part of why Brad looked so keyed-up at the reunion opening, before the vote was revealed: he had just seen the FTC along with the rest of us, and until then hadn't had a freaking clue just how bad he'd come off in the exchanges.  Dude was probably having a full-blown panic attack right there on stage, and nobody (except for maybe Monica) knew it.

* Left it that way to show JUST HOW FRIKKIN' STUPID AUTOCORRECT CAN GET - not to mention, culturally insensitive.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, KimberStormer said:

Who would Cirie have voted for?  She's not allowed to vote for herself...

Nobody; on revotes, the eligible vote recipients don't vote.  In previous situations that's always been two contestants because the revote was prompted by a tie vote, and the revote focused exclusively on those two.  Not in this case, though.

59 minutes ago, KimberStormer said:

(regarding Sarah's Legacy Advantage . . .)

Not a lucky break at all.  She had the legacy advantage.  I think even if you hate idols and advantages Sarah's legacy advantage is the most respectable of all in a Survivor context, because she didn't get it from luck (and I'm sorry "Cirie should have just gotten an idol then, cry about it" people, luck is all that really matters in idol-finding) but from social game manipulation of Sierra and getting her alliance to vote for Sierra.  She got the votes, but she damn sure earned the immunity that she got.  And yes I think she would have used it even if Tai hadn't used his because it was a key resume point for her and there was nothing to save it for.

Lucky as in the producers feeling that viewers needed another gimmick, as well as how Sierra found it and Sarah pried it from her. Without the Advantage, Sarah would've been toast. At the very least, she might have been considered more "dangerous" than Cirie, even though the jury probably wouldn't have just given the million bucks to Cirie like the S22 bozos gave it to Rob all season.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Nashville said:

I'm moderately sure the "old" speech-plus-one-question-per-juror format stood a good chance of killing Sarah's chances for a win, simply because she would have responded according to her training.

I don't think so.  She had her plan of attack mapped out before she arrived and got support with it from her family and friends.  That was important to her.  She was very solid in her approach and was ready for a question about her lying or deceiving all ready to go.   She would have worked that in handily.  She knew the old format and this new one was no different as far as her plan to explain her strategy.  

4 hours ago, Daisy said:

someone said above that she went to UPenn. - so if that is wrong - then I'm wrong, sorry :) 

A couple of people above have pointed out that Cydney, also gorgeous with long braids and from a recent season, went to UPenn, but kept that secret while playing.  I think some have confused the two.  

Chyron writer for reunion put Tai's previous season as "Koah Rong."  Oops--that's not Kaoh Right!  You had one job....

Thanks to those who pointed out that it was Monica that hugged Sarah--I didn't catch that.  I did like how Probst was trying to give the check to Sarah, still hugging, and her husband was all "I'll take that, thanks!"  Geez Jeff, let her get her hugs in!

I did catch Probst, as he made his way through the crowds upon entering, calling out "Cochran!" as he passed him.  That whole quizzing Aubry on the boyfriend throwaway comment was stupid, but good for Aubry for saying everyone had a crush on him, including Jeff!  

• Love 2