Type keyword(s) to search

S34.E12: It Is Not A High Without A Low

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Anyone that knows Survivor knows Monica"

She did walk out like a Rock Star, didn't she?  They played her up like she is the equivalent of Sandra or Boston Rob.

I hate to say it, but it did make me think we will probably see her play a third time.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
17 minutes ago, vb68 said:

She did walk out like a Rock Star, didn't she?  They played her up like she is the equivalent of Sandra or Boston Rob.

I hate to say it, but it did make me think we will probably see her play a third time.

I wouldn't be surprised.  Same with Brad.  Why the show is trying to make them happen, I don't know.  I was surprised they didn't save her for last.  Also, that challenge was totally set up for Brad to win.  It's probably why they did teams, just to increase his chances.

Instead of Monica, can Cirie's son come on and play?  Or Tai's partner?  He didn't even make the reward, and I'd still rather see him over the Culpeppers again.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 19
36 minutes ago, vb68 said:

The loved ones visit seemed much more emotional this time.

Compared to last year, I thought this year seemed like a sitcom.

It's interesting that the legacy advantage made someone a target. Didn't seem to hurt Jessica when she told Ken. Maybe she lucked out by telling the most loyal person there. Or most likely, they just weren't as good at Survivor as this year's cast.

• Love 9
(edited)
52 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I was also very amused that after Sierra was voted out Sarah did this whole fake shocked face like she couldn't believe the vote, I'm guessing so Sierra wouldn't realize she flipped. And Andrea saw her and gave her his WTF look.

Oh. I thought it was because Sarah literally expected Sierra to hand over the legacy advantage right then and there and was upset when she didn't.  But oops, LOL, I guess you are right.

I know it's very popular here to hate the family visits , But I loved them.  I cried at Sierra's Dad:  "Take my strength."  I was BAWLING when Jeff even MENTIONED that Michaela's mom EXISTED before I even saw her FACE and then her face looked exactly like Michaela's.  Michaela's mom: "Your mom loves you."  bAWAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWL.  Then Jared fucking comes out.  Jared with his tears falling onto his t-shirt because he sees his mom.  I was laughing with such JOY to see that kid. The parents made me cry.  Cirie's son just made me erupt in totally gleeful laughter!  His smile was EAR TO EAR!  I love every minute of this shit.

I do not KNOW Monica, her season, and boy do I not CARE to know, but she really annoyed the shit out of me by pretending to be an all-knowing Survivor savant just by calling that Michaela was upset.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 22
17 minutes ago, sadiegirl1999 said:

Anyone else noticed the shirt strap hanging out of Debbie's shirt? I'll let myself out.

No, I was too busy wondering what message she was semaphoring with Zeke.

And how that fit when the tribes reunited and she climbed Culpepper like a Gecko going up a wall after a fly.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Probst does love both of them despite neither having a personality.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, Lamb18 said:

I have to admit I feel relieved that I'm not the only one who doesn't like the loved ones visits. The only thing I like is seeing who they are.

always hated them. especially now when it's so melodrama. like OOHHH. MY. GOOOOOODDDDDD... I'm ripped from MY CHILD...
Like Survivor didn't kidnap you to play, you know. 

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Oh. I thought it was because Sarah literally expected Sierra to hand over the legacy advantage right then and there and was upset when she didn't.  But oops, LOL, I guess you are right.

Oh, well, maybe I'm giving Sarah too much credit.  She just seemed to have a better poker face up until now, so I assumed it was intentional.

• Love 3
(edited)
38 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Michaela said acquiesce and convoluted.  Do you think she has a boyfriend?  Because my 19 year old son is single and I think she would make a great daughter-in-law.

I noticed that too.  She was speaking above my head.  I couldn't even tell if she used convoluted correctly but I was thinking wow I think she did.  I have not even thought to use that word in that way before.  

33 minutes ago, LanceM said:

"Anyone that knows Survivor knows Monica"

Really Jeff?  I am thinking this is probably not an accurate statement.

You are right.  It's not.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

Sierra telling Sarah the plan, dumb dumb movie. A rookie move, and Sarah votes for her!..
I knew as soon as Brad won immunity, Sierra was in trouble though. It was good to see Andrea looking worried, I don't see her winning this though. 
Loved ones, it always names me tear up..always. Michaela that temper will get her into trouble, she'd be so much more likeable, if she could just reign it in. Heck, even her mother said, calm down! 

They sure do now! LOL

1 hour ago, BryroseA said:

I am dying--DY.ING.--at Cirie's son's face when he found out where the bathroom is. The most genuine laugh I've had in a while.

"Hey, mom, I gotta go.  Where do I...?"

"Third palm tree on the right, kid - third palm tree on the right."  <sigh>

56 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

She did.  Though Sierra doesn't know that, or at least hopes she didn't.

If Sierra had taken a few seconds to rub a couple of brain cells together, she'd figure out there's no way Sarah didn't vote Sierra out.

Sierra had three rock-solid votes - her core alliance - herself, Brad, and Troy.

Andrea caught three votes.  Just the three.

Any questions?

1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Everyone is saying they "called" Brad's team winning but I 100% thought Tai's team would have it.  Tai is tiny and obviously super flexible, Michaela is skinny, a great athlete, and was very motivated, and I forget who their third person was.  I thought they would win.

I, for one, didn't "call" Brad's team; I called Andrea and Aubry's team. Culpepper just got lucky.

• Love 7
(edited)

I called Andrea and Aubry's team. Culpepper just got lucky

The throwing stuff part made him relevant.  He has great aim at throwing things 15 or 20 feet or whatever.  Just like Sierra is uncanny with a grappling hook.

Edited by enlightenedbum
  • Love 13

Last year was the one and only time I've ever liked a family visit and it's because there was an actual plot to it. It was first, the payoff of the reward steal arc and second, the shock of Jay picking Adam, not knowing Adam's mom's situation.

I realize Survivor can't contrive of plots for the family visit, but it makes them so much more interesting than the 10,000th iteration of "I missed you sooooooo much." The only other person on a family visit I remember is Terry Dietz, and that's because of his jerky comment about "The bond between a husband and wife is so much more important than a parent and child."

But "Tell me about the bond between siblings," Probst? Really? That's your compelling television?

• Love 5

I am dying--DY.ING.--at Cirie's son's face when he found out where the bathroom is. The most genuine laugh I've had in a while.

That was strange, how many times has his mom played, did he really think they had flushing toilets, playing to the camera a bit Jared, but that's allowed.:) 

So glad Brad and Monica won reward..:) 

36 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That was exactly what I figured and until the show tells otherwise, I still think that's what the look was about. 

I have no issues with the loved ones visit. Of course I also don't care that the contestants don't starve enough anymore or get upset when people quit. These things just aren't a big deal to me. I don't think it takes that much time away from the show and the game continues even during something like the loved ones visit. It was the loved ones visit in Second Chances that left Spencer, Jeremy and Tasha alone as the only ones not on the reward and they solidified their F3 pact that they stuck to in the end (of course I still think that's because Jeremy won immunity at F4 and so they couldn't boot him but I digress). 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

I loved Michaela's Mom hushing Michaela to calm down. I get the impression she's had to do that a lot.

And the way Michaela responded! Compared to the way she'd react if, say, Jeff told her to calm down.

1 hour ago, enlightenedbum said:

Only real interesting choice before the vote was choosing the rewardees.  Normally you want to pick in some order: opposing alliance leaders so they're where you can watch them, shaky members of your alliance, and potential swingers in some order.  Which would dictate Tai, Michaela, and Sarah.  But emotionally I think you'd want to reward Cirie for being an awesome person and your closest ally if you're Andrea and Aubry.  Wrong call, but I get why they did it.  Probably should have been Michaela and Sarah, because Cirie is the only member of the theoretical five person majority who was not already going on the reward who is emotionally mature enough to handle losing out.

I actually think it was a human thing to take Cirie. No one seemed to question it. 

1 hour ago, vb68 said:

I swear it felt like the intros on this one took 20 minutes or so. I was beginning to wonder if there was even time for the rest of the episode.

I love the loved ones episodes and this one was no exception, but the intros were freaking LONG. 

• Love 4

Every single season I cry when the loved ones come out.  Then I kick myself and say..geez it's only a couple of weeks.. really?  And then I'm ashamed..lol

Boring episode but Sarah is amazing me.  Culpepper doesn't really annoy me.  He's kind of under the radar.  I did notice however that when it came to throwing the bean bags he told the girls "move away" and then he used his football playing arm to knock down all of the blocks.

• Love 9
26 minutes ago, Daisy said:

always hated them. especially now when it's so melodrama. like OOHHH. MY. GOOOOOODDDDDD... I'm ripped from MY CHILD...

Newbies, OK.  (grumble)

Veterans only?  No.  spare me the phony tears.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LanceM said:

I don't know. She *has* played twice and made it to the end the second time. Fans of Survivor should remember her for that reason at least; she's had a lot of air time. 

• Love 8
Just now, PaperTree said:

Newbies, OK.  (grumble)

Veterans only?  No.  spare me the phony tears.

RIght. like. I won't deny it must be hard. But like. goodness. and because Jeffy loves this it's never going to go away

• Love 2
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

Seriously, her voice grates like no other and that deer caught in the headlights look bugs me but I'll give her this - girlfriend is playing. I thought all her flipping back and forth would hurt her but the last two weeks she's wisely hidden in the shadows and made her moves from behind the scenes. Good for her. And thank goodness Sierra's gone so I have to stop wondering why she was even on this season every time I saw her. 

She's like an idiot savant. I don't begrudge that she is playing this game very well, but damn if she doesn't talk and look like a mouth-breathing moron.

• Love 11
26 minutes ago, F. M. said:

That was strange, how many times has his mom played, did he really think they had flushing toilets, playing to the camera a bit Jared, but that's allowed.:)

Cirie's son Jared is what, 18?  Ever see an 18yo pay much attention to anything not immediately impacting directly upon themselves?  :)

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I can't help but compare it to when I was younger and family members would go up to work at a logging camp for however long. They were gone around the same time as the castaways, there were no phone calls back home and email wasn't a thing, and when the men would come home? There wouldn't be wives and children crying and throwing themselves at him. More like, the wife would turn around and say, "Oh, you're back? Great, the lawn needs to be mowed and the garbage should be put out."

I know, it's the whole psychological experience and everything. But really? These people are not isolated (as in, just one person all by their lonesome), they're competing for a cash prize, and I swear, they eat better than I do. I don't get the melodramatic family visits at all. 

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Cirie's son Jared is what, 18?  Ever see an 18yo pay much attention to anything not immediately impacting directly upon themselves?  :)

When your mothers on TV, and talks about it, yes, him! Didnt they say they talk about everything??

9 minutes ago, Lukeysboat said:

I don't know. She *has* played twice and made it to the end the second time. Fans of Survivor should remember her for that reason at least; she's had a lot of air time. 

I only remember for her calmness, and calming influence on others. I like her.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

I can't help but compare it to when I was younger and family members would go up to work at a logging camp for however long. They were gone around the same time as the castaways, there were no phone calls back home and email wasn't a thing, and when the men would come home? There wouldn't be wives and children crying and throwing themselves at him. More like, the wife would turn around and say, "Oh, you're back? Great, the lawn needs to be mowed and the garbage should be put out."

I know, it's the whole psychological experience and everything. But really? These people are not isolated (as in, just one person all by their lonesome), they're competing for a cash prize, and I swear, they eat better than I do. I don't get the melodramatic family visits at all. 

My Dad was away for weeks at a time when i was a kid.  That's just what it was like when he came home.

eta; Mom always put out a kick-ass dinner  :)

Edited by PaperTree
  • Love 3

My Dad was away for weeks at a time when i was a kid.  That's just what it was like when he came home.

I'd miss the human touch. I think when your feeling low, tired, hungry, affection from a loved one , must feel wonderful.

• Love 7

God, I detest loved one episodes. It's especially ridiculous considering these people have done this before.

Peachy was sure admiring Culpeper's body, there.

I don't really have much else to say about tonight's show.  It wasn't very eventful.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, F. M. said:

I'd miss the human touch. I think when your feeling low, tired, hungry, affection from a loved one , must feel wonderful.

Absolutely, but this is supposed to be "Survivor"

If I were to somehow to stupidly get myself into a real survival situation, I wouldn't expect a 'loved one" to show up.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I also hate the loved one visits.  Maybe they should mix it up next season and bring their worst enemies in for visits.  That would be interesting.

I say just bring the pets! 

1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

Michaela never fails to deliver at TC. "Well, you think you're in the WE but it can flip and become ME."

Probst seemed so blown away by that. 

• Love 9
41 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

Every single season I cry when the loved ones come out.  Then I kick myself and say..geez it's only a couple of weeks.. really?  And then I'm ashamed..lol

Boring episode but Sarah is amazing me.  Culpepper doesn't really annoy me.  He's kind of under the radar.  I did notice however that when it came to throwing the bean bags he told the girls "move away" and then he used his football playing arm to knock down all of the blocks.

Same here. At the end I was thinking, "well its official, I'm team Sarah." She's made strong strategic moves while still managing to be relatively honest and well liked by the others. She spotted that advantage that Michaela missed at the challenge and managed to get the legacy. Good gameplay without putting a bullseye on her back. Hope she goes all the way.

• Love 11
26 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Absolutely, but this is supposed to be "Survivor"

If I were to somehow to stupidly get myself into a real survival situation, I wouldn't expect a 'loved one" to show up.

Well , I'm glad your not producer then :) 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

If one was to drink every time the word "love" was mentioned in this episode, you would be drunk within ten minutes time.

Unpopular opinion here - I have, in seasons past, found the family visit episodes actually touching.  Not so much lately, particularly with Jeff yammering on about 'who wins love' and whatnot.  They're really managed to bleed the feeling out of the few (mostly) genuine moments we see these contestants experience. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Frankly, I thought the contestants' reactions at just the initial mention of the Loved Ones was so overblown as to be a workshop in Bad Acting 101 class - but hey, maybe that's just me.  :>

And oh yeah - another food Reward Challenge.  Yay.  Because you just can't have too many of those in a row.  :P

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Nashville said:

And oh yeah - another food Reward Challenge.  Yay.  Because you just can't have too many of those in a row. 

That third palm tree is going to be begging for mercy.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

That third palm tree is going to be begging for mercy.

Ya kidding?  That's got to be the best-fertilized tree on the whole friggin' island.  It's sending the producers requests for grilled cheese sandwiches on the next RC.

• Love 5

Frankly, I thought the contestants' reactions at just the initial mention of the Loved Ones was so overblown as to be a workshop in Bad Acting 101 class - but hey, maybe that's just me.  :>

Yeah, with Sarah collapsing to her knees? Oh come on. What number day is this? When kids go to college, most spend a longer time away from family than a Survivor season. Jeesh.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

When kids go to college, most spend a longer time away from family than a Survivor season. Jeesh.

Mom dumped me at college before Labor Day and I didn't see any family again until Thanksgiving.  No Big Deal.  :)

• Love 6

Mom dumped me at college before Labor Day and I didn't see any family again until Thanksgiving.  No Big Deal.  :)

Okay... Canadian Thanksgiving (2nd Monday of October), or American Thanksgiving (Third Thursday of November)  context is important ;) 

• Love 1
Just now, Daisy said:

Okay... Canadian Thanksgiving (2nd Monday of October), or American Thanksgiving (Third Thursday of November)  context is important ;) 

Pittsburgh.  End of November :)  I got on the last flight out (standby) that Weds. night.

2 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Canadian Thanksgiving (2nd Monday of October), or American Thanksgiving (Third Thursday of November)  context is important ;) 

Didn't Canada move their Thanksgiving to later than early October?

(edited)
1 hour ago, Lukeysboat said:

I have watched about 25 seasons and either never seen hers or don't remember her.

Canadian Thanksgiving occurs on the second Monday in October

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I happen to like the loved ones visit, although this one seemed a bit long.  I feel like they usually wait a couple more episodes.  But I'm probably wrong.  Anyway, I always feel like I learn a lot more about the contestants through the loved ones visit, and I'm always curious to see who they bring out.  

And people always make fun of the contestants for being overly emotional, but since almost all of them get like that--even the ones that you think wouldn't--I don't think all the eye-rolling here is entirely fair.  30 days of sleep deprivation, hunger, and paranoia, without anyone you can really trust to have your back...that clearly takes it's toll.  Probably 95% of the contestants cry.

If you're a big fan of Survivor, you almost certainly know who Monica is.  She's no better than average as a player, but she's been around twice, and now so has her husband.  I definitely don't want to see her back again.

• Love 16

When Jeff told Tai that Mark was coming out, I half expected Mark the chicken to come flying into his arms.  Tai's attempt to kiss Caleb their first season -- while Tai was in a serious relationship with another person -- shows Tai in a less than flattering light.

Agree totally that Sierra self-evicted tonight.  God what terrible playing, though Sarah exploited it beautifully.  I also thought Sierra looked pretty outlandish when she begged Brad to take her on the reward -- after vowing a little earlier to backstab him in a New York minute.

• Love 2

I wonder if Tai would have been willing to play the idol for Sierra had she, Brad, and Troy not voted for him last week.  He has two, and I don't believe anyone knows about them.  That would have given them an advantage next week, numbers wise, because they might have been able to get others to flip over.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Thanksgiving in the US always falls on the fourth Thursday of November.

2 hours ago, NYGirl said:

Culpepper doesn't really annoy me.  He's kind of under the radar.  I did notice however that when it came to throwing the bean bags he told the girls "move away" and then he used his football playing arm to knock down all of the blocks.

I find myself actively rooting for him.  He seems to be a completely different person from last time.  He seems humble and appreciative.  He and Cirie are my favourites.

I didn't hear him tell the women to move.  I thought I heard Andrea telling Aubrey to "stay out of his way" or something like that.

Sierra has only herself to blame.  Everything was all set for five votes against Andrea.  Why ruin it by telling Sarah (who she knew was NOT one of the five votes) about the plan and about her advantage?  Dumbass.

Sarah needs to CLOSE HER MOUTH when she is not talking.  The way she just sits there with it gaped open... not a good look.  

This legacy idol... does it function like a regular idol? So next episode Sarah can use it on herself or someone else?  Ugh.   Sarah may be playing well, but I hope that one of the later boots tells Sierra that Sarah voted for her.

• Love 3

I can't throw shade on the players. I know that they've been playing for a month, and you figure a week would be added on to prepare them . . . but like I said, the atmosphere probably weighs heavily on them. Even an "old hand" like Cirie can break down, especially while feeling guilty about missing her son's graduation.

I'm willing to bet Tai is a flirt, and Human Mike doesn't mind. I was not expecting Human Mark to look like one of Team Guido from The Amazing Race.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Eolivet said:

But "Tell me about the bond between siblings," Probst? Really? That's your compelling television?

Yet more evidence for why his tv show was cancelled.

2 hours ago, NYGirl said:

Culpepper doesn't really annoy me.  He's kind of under the radar.  I did notice however that when it came to throwing the bean bags he told the girls "move away" and then he used his football playing arm to knock down all of the blocks.

His football playing arms were used for blocking opposing linemen, but it's true he has been shown to have uncanny accuracy throwing things and I knew they basically had it on lock when they got to that stage first.

I loved Sarah's collection of "O M G what just happened?!?" looks that won her the legacy advantage. She sold that for quite some time. She's making moves w/o getting the fabled 'blood on her hands' for all to see, I find it rather impressive.

• Love 8