Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E06: Double U-Turn Ahead

• Start Topic

I love Joey & Tara so much! They're just so cute with the teasing back and forth at the RB and him asking her if she was ok inside the plaster. How are they not an actual married couple?

I'm glad to see that Michael was embarrassed about his behaviour. I'm much quicker to forgive douchiness if said douche recognizes and regrets how they acted.

No rapidos yet but shout out to whoever it was who gave us our first andale! (Becca?) Also, shout out to the Pit Stop greeter - she was stunning!

I'm so glad we're done with Vanck & Ashton. Brooke can go next, she's exhausting.

• Love 23

Glad to see Liz and Mike were able to pull it together for this episode. Hope they can keep going without any flare-ups.

Why did Brooke even sign up for this show? And how did she ever get past the show screeners? Is there anything she doesn't whine about?

Italy has some beautiful scenery especially around Lake Como. 

• Love 9

Bye Ashton.  At least you aren't "stuck" with Vanck any longer.

I didn't like that teams are allowed to use more than one U Turn this season.  It takes away a big part of the strategy.

Happy to see Team Fun get 1st (for real) this time.

Brooke is a horrible crybaby, but somehow she completes the tasks.

Seems like the rock climbing was much quicker than the sculpture.

• Love 9

Brooke better not win this.  She's just like Flo.  

I was not a fan of Becca but tonight I kind of liked her.  She was amazing on the rock wall.

I felt sorry for Vanck and Ashton.  It seems like the U-Turns this year are doing teams in.

I like Tara and Joey.

• Love 7

Man, so Ashton U-Turned Matt/Redmond for personal reasons. And then....everyone U-Turned Ashton/Vanck for personal reasons. You know what? I felt bad for them. This is a RACE. Ashton/Vanck may be annoying, but this is a RACE. You do what's best to get to the end, not who you like the least. Vanck/Ashton were ok players, but not strong. This is not a game where it's a pure social game. Social game with other teams will only get you so far, because the rest is based on luck, navigation, and skill. I actually can't stand that all the teams did it. It's just plain stupid. Not that the tasks seemed to take all that long. It seems like they were all done by noon, probably earlier. The tasks were all ridiculously easy this time around. 

God, Brooke is the most annoying, and the most whiny contestant I've seen in a long time. She now also can't do rock climbing challenges. Perfect. I bet if she had done the moving restaurant road block, she'd find a way to whine about it too. "I can't do it. SCOTT, HELP ME. YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO CARRY ME TO THE END, GODDAMNIT!". She can go any time now. Poor Scott; I never thought I'd say that a few weeks ago. Also, her reasoning to Phil sounded stupid and like they're all the cool kids and Ashton/Vanck just didn't make the cut. What a bunch of bullies. 

Of course Michael was ecstatic to use the U-Turn. Also, he's the worst. He was so hating on Liz. I don't buy that he just brushed their fight aside, and I hated how Liz had to apologize and he couldn't even muster up his own apology. Ass. I might be just a bit bitter about him but I truly hope he is apologetic. I am working on giving him the benefit of the doubt, but this better not happen again from him. 

Matt's Spiderman 2.0 climb was just as awesome, but him and Redmond just keep falling short of the other teams. Also, Redmond always has to say something questionable. This time, I was bugged by his "Well, I just want first place". I know it's a stupid thing to get hung up on, but it was. 

Tara/Joey and London/Logan are still my top two teams. I did laugh at the shot of Logan sitting on the railing all by himself. If only he had uttered the fourth phrase. 

• Love 24

I would of bowed out of this show if Brooke was my partner. "TELL ME WHERE TO PUT MY HANDS." "I can't see 50 feet up in the air." "USE YOUR EYES." "I...am using my eyes" 

Use YOUR eyes woman, or are those also a weak body part? 

I don't care for U-Turns, especially when the teams are so close that it makes it near impossible for the teams to catch up, but I also dislike Ashton soooo... but it's one thing to say "they just haven't gelled with us" than "they aren't cool enough to hang with us". Team no one. 

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

I love Joey & Tara so much! They're just so cute with the teasing back and forth at the RB and him asking her if she was ok inside the plaster. How are they not an actual married couple?

I'm glad to see that Michael was embarrassed about his behaviour. I'm much quicker to forgive douchiness if said douche recognizes and regrets how they acted.

No rapidos yet but shout out to whoever it was who gave us our first andale! (Becca?)

Actually, I heard a "rapido" when the teams were getting cabs out of the airport. I couldn't tell who said it, but it was a female voice.

I don't really like the Double U-Turns being so close together in the season.  Also, I'm not sure how I feel about Team Fun using it to block Vanck and Ashton from using it.

This is one of the most gorgeous and scenic Italy legs I've seen on TAR.

I would definitely jump at the chance to do that Roadblock with the delicious food.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

What a bunch of bullies. 

Strategically using a U-Turn to ensure that a team goes home doesn't make them bullies. Nobody was cruel to them. Nobody excluded them when they were all hanging out on the ship. Nobody physically threatened them. Nobody bullied them.

• Love 22

Glad to see Liz and Mike were able to pull it together for this episode. Hope they can keep going without any flare-ups. He could have been a little more gracious while she was trying to apologize.

Why did Brooke even sign up for this show? And how did she ever get past the show screeners? Is there anything she doesn't whine about?

I'm rooting for Tara/Joey and London/Logan so Vance & Ashton being eliminated didn't bother me.

Italy has some beautiful scenery especially around Lake Como. 

• Love 3

I'm just glad that Ashton/Vanck was put out of their misery.  They were truly miserable together and now let's banish the word "different" from the Amazing Race.  I'm sure I heard that word at least 15 times from them this episode.

Poor Scott. I would have put in earplugs by now. 

• Love 4

That was not pleasant. I mean, I don't identify that much with Venck, and Ashton might as well wear a "Please Impede Me!" t-shirt. But I can't sign off on the dogpiling. And the new U-Turn rules are a lot more shitty. Venck & Ashton deserved better.

On the bright side, the ugliness over the lost passport is getting a lot more distant, and Becca & Floyd are officially fun to watch again. Especially when Becca admired their photo. They are a cute team. Well, at least when Becca isn't contemplating shoving the Fun Meter down Floyd's throat.

Also good that Liz & Michael can make things work. And then there's Brooke. Had she woken up to find herself floating in the river donned in a lifejacket, would anybody have blamed Scott?

While I'm thinking about it . . . anybody else disappointed that John Cochran didn't pop in to give advice? 

• Love 13

I know the Detour options were not nearly even in time-taken....but the teams can't know that beforehand.  I would have gone to the castle just because I love castles.  Joey and Tara had so much fun doing it....their banter was a delight.  And kudos to Tara for her knowledge and use of Italian.  

Brooke is not only a whiner and complainer...she is pretty much a "mean girl."

I don't think it was a bad idea to UTurn Ashton and Vanck....but not for the reasons most of the teams discussed.  They were the weakest team left...so UTurning them meant not having to face a disgruntled team later on.

Scenery was beautiful...and so was the greeter.

Oh, and I want to take the dining trolley!

• Love 8

Really, that's the episode title?

2 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

Glad to see Liz and Mike were able to pull it together for this episode. Hope they can keep going without any flare-ups. He could have been a little more gracious while she was trying to apologize.

It might have helped if she didn't unapologetically call him a jackass while trying to apologize.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

Tell me these people didn't originally sign up to play Survivor.

Well, we know Brooke didn't.

1 minute ago, Rachel RSL said:

Strategically using a U-Turn to ensure that a team goes home doesn't make them bullies. Nobody was cruel to them. Nobody excluded them when they were all hanging out on the ship. Nobody physically threatened them. Nobody bullied them.

Maybe bully isn't the right term here. What a bunch of jerks. Sure, it was strategic, in the sense that they didn't want the "losers" to be there anymore. It's not strategic in the sense that they were threatened by Ashton/Vanck and were afraid that they'd dominate future legs. So they all conspired to get one team out because they didn't like them. Some of the teams were cruel behind their backs, which isn't better to me. Some teams at least seemed apologetic. Was it Liz, Tara, or London who had the talking head on the ferry about feeling bad about conspiring behind Ashton/Vanck to get them out? Or something along those lines? Matt/Redmond, Michael, and Brooke seemed ecstatic to do so. 

• Love 24

Lake Como is beautiful. Meanwhile, Brooke is so grating, annoying & the biggest crybaby. Is there anything she can do without drama? Jeez! It was kind of rich that she said that Vanck & Ashton because Brooke wants to enjoy dinner with friends on the race who are pleasant. How she didn't get struck by lightening is beyond me. That said, the Double U-Turn did work how they (all) wanted it to be played. I'm still not sure they were the right team but if it made them happy......

• Love 2

So now that's two Double U Turns we've seen so far. Is that it for U Turns?  There's only six teams left.  I was surprised that Tara and Joey were eligible to U Turn again, I guess they did away with that rule.  

I wasn't a fan of Ashton but they were weak.  I wouldn't have minded losing the painful Michael and Liz.  Michael is a grade A dick.   Brooke is irritating too.  She can't do anything, and her comments at the mat about Vanck and Ashton were annoying considering what a piece of work she is.  I do like Scott so I am torn as to getting rid of her.

I think I like London and Logan the most but they are always so slow.  I'm surprised that they chose the molding task considering how physically fit they both look.

I know I was supposed to find Tara's exuberance about being in Italy (where she met her husband did ya know) endearing but it grated on me after a while.  Yes, she apparently can speak Italian.  But to me her speaking Italian wasn't just functional so she could get directions or what not.  It seemed to me that she was showing off in a "I may be American but I speaka your language" kind of way for the locals, her partner and the cameras.  I found it particularly annoying when she got served the eggplant parmesan and she immediately does her best Italian accent and says "ohhh... melazane!!!"

• Love 5

Brooke is disgusting. I wouldn't invite her to have dinner with my dog. Granted, I don't know what Vanck's done to piss everyone else off, but I pretty much hate everyone of these contestants, except for Tara & Joey. I think I'm going to hit the spoilers thread and then I'm done with this bunch.

Edited by Merneith
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, ByaNose said:

Lake Como is beautiful. Meanwhile, Brooke is so grating, annoying & the biggest crybaby. Is there anything she can do without drama? Jeez! It was kind of rich that she said that Vanck & Ashton because Brooke wants to enjoy dinner with friends on the race who are pleasant. How she didn't get struck by lightening is beyond me. That said, the Double U-Turn did work how they (all) wanted it to be played. I'm still not sure they were the right team but if it made them happy......

I mean it's a race but you also need to enjoy yourself and they were hindering that for the others.

• Love 4

Yay for Becca & Floyd defeating Redmond & Matt. That was satisfying because Redmond and Matt looked so defeated LMAO.

Here I thought I wouldn't complain about Brooke but she forever has to be negative, whine and complain. Complaining how they were gonna be U-Turned and freaks out over climbing and yelling at Scott. Brooke's problem is that she goes into panic mode first and doesn't stop to think. Love Scott for the way he always looks at the camera. He loses one point for saying a date with Redmond while on the tram. Floyd would be the better date.

Brooke saying Vanck is pretty much a B-List is so shitty of her. Brooke needs to go home, don't want Scott to go but unfortunately he's attached to Brooke. It almost made it sound like Vanck was the main problem when from our perspective it's both Ashton & Vanck. 

I wish Logan & London had more fire in them. They just seem to coast in the race. I like the fact that they don't panic or rude to other teams which makes them rootable and want to see win the whole thing, but they really need to run this race like they're in hell with gasoline soaked clothes on. 

Michael is still a pill. 

I don't like that a team that already used the U-Turn can use it again. Like the FF it should only be used once. Once you use it you're done.

It was an enjoyable leg seeing the beauty that is always Italy. The tram to free dinner and enjoying the sites, that would be awesome. I would have loved to do that roadblock. I would probably forget that I was looking for clues lol.

Won't miss Vanck & Ashton.

Edited by ShadowSixx
  • Love 6

Why are so many teams helping each other? I have not been watching this season closely, but tonight several teams were steering other teams towards the clues, etc. I would think you would just be running your own race and trying to win.

• Love 10

I don't quite understand it, but teams have always done it, from the very beginning. I guess in spite of the race, friendly feelings can develop between teams, and they want people they like to stay in.

Were they required to eat everything, even if they needed a second round on the tram? That never seemed to become an issue.

I continue to enjoy Team Fun, and I'm glad they're still around, and even managed a first place. (Helps make up for the one they didn't get last week.)

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, Skyfall said:

I mean it's a race but you also need to enjoy yourself and they were hindering that for the others.

Yeah, I guess you're right but it sounded so Mean Girls coming from Brooke of all people.

• Love 6

I think the main reason they were helping is to direct them to the clue box where they could U-Turn Vanck & Ashton this leg. I wouldn't say TAR is much of a social game more than it is your ability to perform and understand the challenges, the ability to navigate and luck. You have to be lucky that the plane you're on isn't delayed or cancelled. Social game IMO is just a bonus on whether or not you're U-Turned or Yielded because those don't guarantee eliminations either.

It does seem that this season it's all about whether or not you're part of the popular kids table. It does seem personal rather than strategic with these teams. If I was U-Turning this leg it would be either Redmond & Matt, Michael & Liz, or Liz & Joey. You would rather take out a team that can beat you in the end not take with you to the final leg. I would race Scott & Brooke and Vanck & Ashton in the final leg cause I would have a feeling that I could beat them.

• Love 8

I don't understand the design of this leg.  You've got a staggered start, 2 fairly easy detours and you put a U-turn here? There was no way that a u-turned team could succeed unless someone got monumentally mixed up with directions, and since they were running around to all of the locations there was little chance of that. 

I also hate the camera work  this season.  It's very choppy and looks second-rate.  When Mike Rowe was doing Dirty Jobs he really didn't care about the "forth wall" and frequently showed us his cameramen and sound people.  One thing I learned from that show is that a cameraman is expected to hold the camera steady at all times, no matter what. 

Becca and Floyd must have been related in a previous life or something.

Definitely heard a "rapido" at the airport.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, ShadowSixx said:

It does seem that this season it's all about whether or not you're part of the popular kids table. 

48 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

So they all conspired to get one team out because they didn't like them.

Amazing Race is by no means all about the social game like Survivor or Big Brother but you do still have to be social. If you do dickish things like honk your horn as you drive by other teams who are walking, yeah, that just might come back to bite you in the ass when the U-Turn comes around. There's a reason other teams don't like them, that didn't come out of nowhere.

On a lighter note, I got a kick out of Scott admiring the eye candy on the tram.

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 9

This episode was really boring in the challenges, it was like they were on vacation.  Go eat good Italian food while looking at sights, have food & wine on an over night boat trip,  then rock climb in Lake Como and take another boat ride.  Throw a u-turn in and that was the only drama.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 7

Loved this leg, just because of the area.  Last trip to Italy, we took the train from Florence to Milan, then on to Varenna.  From there we took the ferry across the lake to Menaggio where we spent our last 3 days of vacation winding down from our more hectic days.  Stayed at Hotel du Lac with a roof top terrace overlooking the lake and the Alps.  Good memories.

Not sorry to see Ashton go; less so Vanck.  I know he annoyed many people, but I never found him that grating.  Brooke, on the other hand, can go anytime at all.

• Love 8
53 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Well, said team was denied a chance to win a life-changing amount of money and continue on a once-in-a-lifetime trip around the world, not because of their own skill level, but because a group of people got together and decided they weren't cool enough.  It may not have been bullying, but it wasn't fun to watch either.

They should have picked a strong team (like Seth and Olive--though I hate to see strong teams go out via U-Turn too).  Or teams should have U-Turned teams behind them based on the circumstances of the moment.  But this was a calculated plan to take out someone they all didn't like.  It made the episode boring and made all the teams (though some more than others) look like "mean girls" (and guys).  The real problem, though, is the U-Turn itself.  First, we had the Yield, an attempt to add unnecessary drama to an Emmy-winning show.  The U-Turn was an improvement, since watching tasks is better than watching paint dry.  The Double U-Turn was even more of an improvement, since it can place two teams in direct competition (though even that can fail).  But now they've put the U-Turn before the Detour (which is stupid), and they've apparently removed any limit on how many times you can use the U-Turn (which is stupid).  And all the U-Turn does is foster the "social game" part of the show, which was not part of TAR Classic: If you didn't like a team, that was fine, but you still had to beat them on the race course.  I'm also tired of teams helping each other find places and complete challenges.  It makes the show less competitive, because the outcast team (or, on a better episode, the team that just happens to be behind) gets put at an even further disadvantage.

I'm a huge fan of this show.  I've been to many TARcons.  I'm super happy it's back, and I don't even mind the season's twist.  But I am continually being reminded of why I started to lose my love in the mid-20 seasons: the "social game" and ganging up on teams, tasks that are too easily skipped by getting the answer from the other teams, tasks that are too easy or have no/limited ability to change the order, short legs, badly designed legs (e.g., mid-leg ferries and Fast Forwards which take longer than the other tasks), dressing up in silly costumes for tasks, lots of so-called "locals" who have nothing better to do than hang around tasks and laugh at stupid Americans, Phil being less serious and more like the drunk uncle along for the ride, the choppy editing leaving out the start order/the order at each major checkpoint/the finish order announcements, apparent undocumented changes in the rules like how long the roadblock limit applies or if you can U-Turn twice...etc.

This season has been a big improvement in terms of locations and tasks, though.  I thought the scenery was gorgeous and the restaurant and ghost tasks both interesting and locally flavored. 

• Love 22

The U-Turn left a bad taste in my mouth, even though Ashton probably earned it with her mouth. Something like that should be earned. Once again: Detour/U-Turn/Route Marker. I am okay with the concept of U-Turns and other impediments. If CBS has one less reason to pull the plug, I'm good with it.

ETA: And you can't perform two U-Turns! You do it, you can't perform it for the rest of the season. This bugs me. Is this what critics of Dave & Conner felt like during TAR24? Because I liked those guys.

Has anybody here ever eaten on ground transit like that? I don't mean on a plane or munching something from a bag on the bus or train. I mean getting a decent meal while seeing the sights.

• Love 3

I don't think Brooke was speaking for everyone else left on the race.  Yes, they agreed to eliminate Ashton/Vanck in advance....but I didn't hear any of the others voice that kind of snobbery.   The reasoning might have been "personal" -- but the idea of picking a team for UTurning and ensuring they won't stay in the race is smart to avoid revenge of any kind later in the race.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, rlangmit said:

Well, said team was denied a chance to win a life-changing amount of money and continue on a once-in-a-lifetime trip around the world, not because of their own skill level, but because a group of people got together and decided they weren't cool enough.

Was it cool when Vanck and Ashton drove by all the other walking teams and honked? Just saying, you can't do stuff like that and then complain that the other teams don't like you.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

This time, I was bugged by his "Well, I just want first place".

Agree with that- and in contrast Floyd was a little more mellow- he knew that even if they didn't get 1st... they're still in it and that's what matters.

I'm of the tiny crowd that did like Ashton and Vanck even though Ashton did get on my nerves.  They were growing on me and they seemed much better this leg.  So kind of sorry to see them go.

The B-List comment was just plain mean.  I don't know what the hell Vanck did to them.. other than just being himself... apparently too 'nerdy' for most of the others' taste.. "EEK a NERD messing up our beautiful selves...!"  Yeah... I sure know what it feels like to be labeled "B-List" :P.

Brooke.. either catch laryngitis and stop cry-whining every week please... or just oh... walk off into the forest and never come back.  Ugh... you are not a pleasant person to listen(or read aka captions) to.  Poor Scott...

Tara & Joey and Logan/London are still pretty solid teams though LoLo are a wee bit slow.

Redmond and Matt.. I still don't really care for (especially with that remark I quoted.

Michael for some reason I still don't care for- can't put my finger on it..? maybe the passive aggressiveness mentioned above.  same for Liz.

I missed the first 10 minutes of the show so don't know what happened in the beginning.

Happy to see Becca & Floyd win first. Again probably in the tiny minority but I like them.

And there you have it.  Quack.

• Love 12

I thought it was funny that those phones they gave them only had one app on them. :)

Why does every other team want Ashton and Vanck out?  I would have thought they would think Ashton was the obnoxious one, but Michael said it was Vanck.

It was weird that they only had one person on the tram, instead of both of the members of the team.

Jebus, those pronunciations were awful.

Wow, those casts were creepy.

Man, that Fern sent Becca and Floyd off in the wrong direction.

"Andale".  smh

Becca is so bad ass.

Typical Brooke.  I can't doooooooo it.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Was it cool when Vanck and Ashton drove by all the other walking teams and honked? Just saying, you can't do stuff like that and then complain that the other teams don't like you.

Oh you mean like the time Redmond tried to intimidate Vanck loudly- was that cool?  Seems most of the teams have hand-waved that away :P; I'd have U-Turned them for that and for the fact they are a super strong team.   I can't remember hearing any complaints about other teams not liking them but if they did, betting that Ashton did most of the complaining- whether real or perceived.

• Love 13

I like teams to eliminated for race reasons, not personal ones. The teaming up also made the whole leg kinda pointless leaving me with a 'whatever' feeling about the actual racing that was being done. The scenery was top notch though.

I can imagine being in the kitchen as Brooke is making her lunch... "OMG I can't open the peanut butter jar!! What am I going to dooooo? I can't do it, I'm not strong enough! And we're almost out of jelly! I can't afford to go to the store, groceries are sooooo expensive these days. Annnnd I only have one piece and the end of the loaf!!" etc. It just seems this is her default way of approaching anything is this defeatest pity party.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, Rachel RSL said:

I didn't even think of that as being bad when watching.  In any case, it's way down the list of horrible things teams have done on this show.  Vanck and Ashton have been much worse to each other (mostly Ashton to Vanck).

And I repeat that even if it was the meanest thing ever, I don't want to watch a show where people "vote people out" based on how well they get along.  Well, actually I do, and it's called Survivor.  It was built for that concept.  Even on Survivor, though, the smart players often keep around people they can't stand in order to give themselves a better shot to win.  When TAR breaks out the "social game," it's always a group that thinks they are wonderful, lovable people getting out the bad apple, when to the audience they often just come off as a bunch of obnoxious assholes.  (See TAR 24.) 

• Love 22

This is an edited show and we only know what they show up. Maybe Ashton and Vanck were huge jerks at the pitstops and we did get to see it. I have no idea but I doubt they all decided to u-turn them just for honking. I think there must have been more going on behind the scenes since logically they should have u-turned a stronger competitive team. Regardless, I won't miss Ashton or Vanck.

• Love 3