Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Steven and Justin's Story Part 2

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, FGD-135 said:

Hello all, finally delurking. I have enjoyed following everyone's posts. 

Regarding the golf cart at the apartment, for whatever reason the show did not blur out the apartment name. They were looking at the La Casita apartments. I'm not sure if I am allowed to link it but you can Google it and they seem like a pretty large complex (at least a dozen buildings.) Google street view from both Sunnyside St and Werner St show the golf cart parked outside the leasing office.

I watched the golf cart scene several times. I happened to notice when they switched angles there was an ambulance sitting right across the street. I have (hopefully) attached the best screenshot I could get. Is it coincidence or does it defy credulity? You be the judge.

58ead7ed00b32_GolfCart(800x600).thumb.jpg.bee83662576e6274b848461b7e22f3de.jpg

Great catch! Was that the same ambulance that assisted him?

• Love 2

I watch on TLCGo via Roku. Oddly, the episode wouldn't show on the TLCGo app on Wednesday and hasn't been posted in the listings yet either. Has anyone else had problems with this? 

• Love 2

I could only stand to watch the episode once, so maybe I'm misremembering. But regarding the golf cart scene, I thought it was weird that they went up on curb and he kind of slipped, then righted himself. Then the guy said something about, okay one more little incline coming up, and that was when he fell. It felt to me like a shot and chaser, the almost fall to get us amped up for the real thing. I call shenanigans. 

Also, the new apartment had wood floors while the old one had carpet. There were several shots where he was supposed to be in the new place, but the floor was carpeted. Nothing to do with the golf cart, but more editing tricks on TLC's part.

Edited by MillieSparklepants
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, MillieSparklepants said:

Also, the new apartment had wood floors while the old one had carpet. There were several shots where he was supposed to be in the new place, but the floor was carpeted. Nothing to do with the golf cart, but more editing tricks on TLC's part.

There is absolutely NO WAY the later scene when Dr Now comments "And he's been pulling his hair again" was actually not from the earlier time when he had pulled his hair and then they clipped it short. That was just editing, as others have pointed out, but it was so painfully obvious. I mean I never catch it when Dr Now's sideburns keep changing length and other people have noticed, I'm just not that observant, but the hair-pulling thing was just BAD.

• Love 5

He's back on FB.  Some asshole wanted to know if it was really him...because he didn't have the blue verified check mark, and then she was relieved to find out it was.

things like this make me feel indifferent if N Korea has nuclear weapons pointed at us right now.  Maybe we all deserve to die if this is the world we are living in.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Calicocats said:

things like this make me feel indifferent if N Korea has nuclear weapons pointed at us right now.  Maybe we all deserve to die if this is the world we are living in.

HA HA HA HA HA

• Love 1

Steven Jr.: Steven is 800 pounds but that is not even his biggest problem in life. He clearly has mental health issues and also has a serious addiction to pain medication. I wonder what his obituary will state when he dies in the not too distant future.

Justin: I kind of feel bad for the guy. I couldn't imagine what having an older brother like Steven would be like. He could use some counseling or maybe just a good friend or companion. I had a roommate in college who was socially awkward and reminds me a lot of Justin. My roommate was like Justin but on the other end of the spectrum in terms of his weight. He barely ate and was around 6-foot and maybe 110 pounds. He ate a bowl a cereal with milk 2 times a day and that was about it. He played video games all days and hardly left his room. He had an academic scholarship but never went to class. He not only lost his scholarship but he got kicked out of school because of his GPA. I wonder what happened to the guy. You sometimes find people who are socially awkward who like video games and things sold at hobby stores that are at the extreme levels of BMI in being grossly overweight and extremely underweight.  

Steven Sr.: At what point do you just cut off a child? As a father of 4 children, I struggle to find the right balance between enabling a child but also teaching self reliance.

Toilets for Larger Persons: I used to weigh over 400 pounds and I broke a few toilet seats back when I was heavier. They do sell "Big John" toilets for larger persons and lots of other products for larger people (LivingXL) such as bikes and chairs.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Brooklynista said:

Of all the calamities in this episode, a typo is what brings the outrage??

Appreciate you :) It was, as you said, a simple typo. Probably more than once in my post but since you and 99% of folks read it, kept moving, and I have to get to work at the hospital, I'm leaving it that way LOL 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, legalwriter said:

Steven Jr.: Steven is 800 pounds but that is not even his biggest problem in life. He clearly has mental health issues and also has a serious addiction to pain medication. I wonder what his obituary will state when he dies in the not too distant future.

Justin: I kind of feel bad for the guy. I couldn't imagine what having an older brother like Steven would be like. He could use some counseling or maybe just a good friend or companion. I had a roommate in college who was socially awkward and reminds me a lot of Justin. My roommate was like Justin but on the other end of the spectrum in terms of his weight. He barely ate and was around 6-foot and maybe 110 pounds. He ate a bowl a cereal with milk 2 times a day and that was about it. He played video games all days and hardly left his room. He had an academic scholarship but never went to class. He not only lost his scholarship but he got kicked out of school because of his GPA. I wonder what happened to the guy. You sometimes find people who are socially awkward who like video games and things sold at hobby stores that are at the extreme levels of BMI in being grossly overweight and extremely underweight.  

Steven Sr.: At what point do you just cut off a child? As a father of 4 children, I struggle to find the right balance between enabling a child but also teaching self reliance.

Toilets for Larger Persons: I used to weigh over 400 pounds and I broke a few toilet seats back when I was heavier. They do sell "Big John" toilets for larger persons and lots of other products for larger people (LivingXL) such as bikes and chairs.

I'm struggling with the same kind of thing, Legalwriter. My oldest is in her first year of college and I get an angsty text about once a month where she claims she's under too much pressure and can't do it. She has a scholarship and we have been expecting her to work at least a little bit, but it's hard to know what's a motivational push and what could be a shove off a cliff.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, MillieSparklepants said:

I would agree with you except that Nicole has kids who are very obviously traumatized by their living conditions. That makes her worse IMO because she's letting harm come to them and probably causing some of it herself. Her one redeeming moment for me was when she was playing with the little girl and tickling her toes. That was very sweet.

That is a fair point.  I feel like for all of these people, their obesity and over-eating is just a symptom of a deeper problem.  I think Nicole's biggest problem is the people around her.  She needs to get herself and her children away from her toxic family.  I have a bit of hope for her.  James's problem is how selfish and immature he is.  And Steven's real problem is that he is a narcissist and psychopath.  I'm not sure that one can be fixed, unfortunately.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, legalwriter said:

I think all parents struggle with this.  For us, it came when our two adult (in their 20s) children were both depending on us to put a roof over their heads (we  had bought their homes as an investment and were renting them back to them, but weren't getting any rent).  We finally called a family meeting and said, "The Bank of Mom and Dad has just closed its doors.  If you can't pay rent, you'll need to move out so we can get tenants who will pay, or we will sell the properties.  We won't let you starve, but we're not going to continue to strap ourselves financially (we were both working 1.5 jobs to pay three mortgages) while you are not even trying to pay your own bills."  And we stuck to our guns.  And we have never regretted it.  

Steven Sr. should NEVER pay for another pizza again, nor should he pay for either son's internet, iPad, cell phone, etc.  If he doesn't stick to his guns, nothing will change.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Steven Sr. should NEVER pay for another pizza again, nor should he pay for either son's internet, iPad, cell phone, etc.  If he doesn't stick to his guns, nothing will change.

Exactly! Rather than enable Steven Jr. while constantly berating him in the process, Steven Sr. should take a look at his own behavior. There's a reason why both sons have similar problems with personal responsibility.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, MillieSparklepants said:

I'm struggling with the same kind of thing, Legalwriter. My oldest is in her first year of college and I get an angsty text about once a month where she claims she's under too much pressure and can't do it. She has a scholarship and we have been expecting her to work at least a little bit, but it's hard to know what's a motivational push and what could be a shove off a cliff.

It may be best for her to take a semester off and explore other options.  Stress from parental expectations can trump the normal angst that accompanies the first year of college.  I have 2 personal stories that have happy endings that I can share in a PM, if you desire.  :^)  Way off topic here.  

Edited by wings707

It was clear to me that Steven and Justin both strongly refused to discuss the real reasons for their addictions and dysfunction.

Until they do , things will only get worse.

The mom might of done what they say, but that to me only sounded like a well rehearsed blame it solely on her. I don't buy it.

• Love 10
49 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

It was clear to me that Steven and Justin both strongly refused to discuss the real reasons for their addictions and dysfunction.

Until they do , things will only get worse.

The mom might of done what they say, but that to me only sounded like a well rehearsed blame it solely on her. I don't buy it.

Agree 100%. Plus, there is a picture circulating online of Steven supposedly with his mom. He's in a hospital room and doesn't look much younger than he does now, so if the picture is real, she must still be in their lives. I'd like to know the whole story there.

• Love 3

Steven had a card hanging by his bed in his first apartment.  It was signed "Love Mom".  So yeah, there's something going on with that relationship.  He initially made it sound like they have no contact whatsoever.  

• Love 1

Just a quick reminder that disagreeing is fine, but please remember snark the show not each other. Consensus is not required but civility towards each other is. Uncivil posts have been and will be removed. 

Thanks!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MillieSparklepants said:

Agree 100%. Plus, there is a picture circulating online of Steven supposedly with his mom. He's in a hospital room and doesn't look much younger than he does now, so if the picture is real, she must still be in their lives. I'd like to know the whole story there.

I posted a video of his somewhere either on this thread or the part 1 thread, but it wasn't taken too long ago (couple of years) of his mother bringing him a birthday cake in his hospital room. In the video of him talking about how she abandoned him & Justin, later on in that he says his mother has now blocked his number on her cellphone, so she's still in their lives somewhat. If he was my kid I'd probably block him, too.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, junip said:

I watch on TLCGo via Roku. Oddly, the episode wouldn't show on the TLCGo app on Wednesday and hasn't been posted in the listings yet either. Has anyone else had problems with this? 

I have had problems. The episode is not showing up and when it came on last week, the app said that I couldn't watch the episode live. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, HahYallDoin said:

Appreciate you :) It was, as you said, a simple typo. Probably more than once in my post but since you and 99% of folks read it, kept moving, and I have to get to work at the hospital, I'm leaving it that way LOL 

I just got back from work...also at a hospital. Just a pet peeve of mine as in general people don't seem to understand HIPAA, both spelling and concept. Not you .

1 hour ago, chickenella said:

I posted a video of his somewhere either on this thread or the part 1 thread, but it wasn't taken too long ago (couple of years) of his mother bringing him a birthday cake in his hospital room. In the video of him talking about how she abandoned him & Justin, later on in that he says his mother has now blocked his number on her cellphone, so she's still in their lives somewhat. If he was my kid I'd probably block him, too.

I was just going to say that. With the way he screams, cusses, demands and carries on blocking would be the least of what I would do.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, ethalfrida said:

I was just going to say that. With the way he screams, cusses, demands and carries on blocking would be the least of what I would do.

Heck, I would go into the Witness Protection Program.

• Love 5
On 4/8/2017 at 3:07 PM, goofygirl said:

I still think old Steven and Whitney Thore (My Big Fat Fabulous Life) would be perfect for one another.  Pizza anyone?? Love on the gigandor scale!

But I bet Steven doesn't bother to cycle through 5 aps when ordering pizza like Whit does.  He DGAF who knows he is eating that much pizza.  He should be her hero!

• Love 5

I may be the outlier here, but watched part 2 for the second time yesterday and have been thinking of it since.  I don't know anything about the brothers' mom, but if even a small bit is true -- going out drinking every night, I have to believe it was way worse.  I mean by that her bringing home random men who may have done who knows what to both boys and she was oblivious.  And that could explain Steven Sr's behavior -- guilt because he left them in such a dangerous situation.  

Everyone loves their mom no matter how awful.  I think we're all just hardwired that way.  To hear Steven relate the story of going to Boston at his mom's invitation and being rejected again.  That was true sadness.  And Justin as far as we know wasn't invited.  More rejection.  

Nature or nurture?  I don't know.  But that woman had a huge negative effect on her sons. 

He's desperately mentally ill.  And also overcompensating because of his mom.  Justin too.  Desperately seeking attention even the worst kind.  And TLC accommodated him.  I really hope Dr. Paradise (a real person) can help him.

Just an observation.  I'm no expert, except having lived with mentally ill people.  Add in the addictions and multiply exponentially.  Yes, he is awful and his behavior is beyond disturbing.  I sure hope he gets the help he needs.  He was hopefully at rock bottom, but I doubt it.  And Justin needs to interact with his brother on his own terms.  Forgive, but don't forget.  Same with mom.

• Love 3
On 4/9/2017 at 8:56 AM, Toaster Strudel said:

If he could aim for the bottle he could aim for the toilet.  I subscribe to the theory that he's lazy.

I believe the golf cart was genuine.  Please don't take that joy away from me!

Thank you! I think real too and if not it will always be in my mind.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Calicocats said:

He's back on FB.  Some asshole wanted to know if it was really him...because he didn't have the blue verified check mark, and then she was relieved to find out it was.

What's the blue verified check mark?

42 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

On my AT&T cable listing it shows 7 pm (Eastern time) Wednesday "Steven and Justin's Story Part 2 B". It's dated as a new episode but I am assuming it's a rerun of the 2 hours from last week combined to 1 hour. What's up with that?

My Xfinity listing shows the same thing. Here's how it has it listed:

S5 Ep23 Steven and Justin's Story, Part 2-B

(4/12) After a year on a weight loss program, Steven remains completely non-compliant and Justin focuses on a new career instead of his diet, but time is quickly running out for surgery.

Normally, it would have either "new" or "repeat" at the beginning of the description, but that's missing on this one. The very next episode listed does have the "new" tag. That one is listed this way:

S5 Ep24 Lupe & Ashley D.

New (4/12) When Lupe sheds 300 pounds but still can't walk, Dr. Nowzaradan worries that emotional issues are blocking her weight-loss journey; when Ashley is struck with sudden paralysis, her emotional stability is thrown into peril.

I suspect the Part 2-B is just part 2, but I'm not positive.

46 minutes ago, TicketToHellPaid said:

What's the blue verified check mark?

It's an icon indicating that the person or company has been verified by Facebook to be who they claim to be.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Otter said:

Nature or nurture?  I don't know.  But that woman had a huge negative effect on her sons. 

I agree, but I would include Steven Sr. too.  They were together with the kids, then she left.  Why did she leave? Sr. had to have something to do with it.

He certainly is no prize and he was very intimadating with Justin at one point.  

I would put equal blame on both parents.   Like my historian friend always tells me, we were not there, so there are probably many versions to choose from.

• Love 3

The week after the two hour episode airs, TLC has been airing them again as two one-hour episodes. These are sometimes listed as new because it is the first time the episode is split into one-hour segments; this depends on your provider. There are no new Steven and Justin episodes at this time.    

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

The week after the two hour episode airs, TLC has been airing them again as two one-hour episodes. These are sometimes listed as new because it is the first time the episode is split into one-hour segments; this depends on your provider. There are no new Steven and Justin episodes at this time.    

Thanks for clearing that up! :)

13 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

On my AT&T cable listing it shows 7 pm (Eastern time) Wednesday "Steven and Justin's Story Part 2 B". It's dated as a new episode but I am assuming it's a rerun of the 2 hours from last week combined to 1 hour. What's up with that?

2B is the second hour of Part 2. Noticed this designation last week, on UVerse, when they did the Supersize episodes. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, chickenella said:

The way Justin tells it, it seems that mom is in and out of Steven's life. Steven is a momma's boy, who wants her around, but she doesn't put up with his manipulation/just isn't a great person anyway. He weasels his way into her life, then acts like an ass and she disappears again. 

Justin wants nothing to do with his mother or brother, so I don't think that not being invited to live in Boston hurt very much. He was probably relieved, thinking they'd both be out of his life. 

Edited by itsmyotherface

I will continue to watch. The show is not called "My 600 Pound Deserving of Rehabilitating Life." I want to see the range of dysfunction that exists in the super morbidly obese. Alcoholics get liver transplants. Everything is not as pretty as we would like it to be.

I live in Texas and have chronic pain condition.  In 2012, my pain doc would no longer prescribe opioids. Says they have to fill out a lot of paperwork to justify it. However they still prescribe Tramadol and Tylenol 3, ( lower classified drugs) which are the two that Stephen mentioned taking. Now he will no longer be able to get those.

Agree with OP that he is addicted to being cared for. Maybe from not receiving care as a child from his mother.

• Love 9
On 4/6/2017 at 9:42 AM, fonfereksglen said:

I'm very skeptical about the money sources from Sr.

I, too am extremely skeptical about the money.  With all the drug use, it made me wonder if there wasn't some procurement through Jr and Justin and sales on the street.  I know we didn't see anything like that and maybe it's unfair for me to have that thought, but there is something strange going on underneath the surface (and I'm not even talking about the weight and psychological issues).  All those threats to call the police are based on something.  Plus Sr seemed to react to that threat.  Jr is holding something over his head, I'm certain of that.  

I also wondered why he wasn't involuntarily committed.  He seemed unable to care for himself at all.  Don't those doctors have some responsibility to help patients?  I realize he is a jerk and incredibly difficult, but wouldn't continuing to prescribe addictive medications and throwing somebody out on their own after a 7 day detox to fend for themselves be considered doing harm??  The whole detox thing was reprehensible.  He should have been put into a 90 day treatment program minimum.  He was not given any tools to help himself stay clean.  This is were I think Dr. Now is really awful.  He doesn't seem to get therapy for his patients and help them find ways to cope so that they can be successful, but he chastises them and berates them when they fail.  I realize a lot of these people need to take personal responsibility, but part of that is helping them learn how to deal with their addiction ---- drugs, food, or otherwise.  

I find it really upsetting seeing people set up to fail for amusement.

• Love 1

Dr. Now frequently refers his patients to therapists.  He referred Steven to one, which Steven refused to go to for months.

He also provides a detailed diet plan for every patient.

As was noted earlier in the thread, 7 days of detox is standard.  Longer term rehabilitation is a different thing and more costly.

• Love 6
On 4/10/2017 at 0:09 AM, MillieSparklepants said:

I could only stand to watch the episode once, so maybe I'm misremembering. But regarding the golf cart scene, I thought it was weird that they went up on curb and he kind of slipped, then righted himself. Then the guy said something about, okay one more little incline coming up, and that was when he fell. It felt to me like a shot and chaser, the almost fall to get us amped up for the real thing. I call shenanigans. 

Even if the bit with the golf cart was staged, it might be prudent for him to get some kind of medical attention anyway. Not because he claims to be in pain, but because of concerns over the blood clots in his legs. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I think TLC probably had the ambulance on hand for liability reasons. Steven could have experienced any number of medical emergencies. 

Maybe that was his "taxi" to get to the apartment complex; wonder if they kept the meter running during the filming.

• Love 4

Who knows about the ambulance but one thing that never ceases to amaze me if what attention whores these fatties on this show are.

and the huge amount of people willing to provide the attention. 

I swear, I would've thrown a double cheese pepperoni deep dish in Steven's fugly face, grabbed his iPad and said "go f*ck your fat self" if I was Princess.

And smashed the iPad and have no fear of the police.

• Love 4
On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:02 AM, Calicocats said:

Love this.  Had to find a perspective quote I loved. ' “You thought *yesterday* was bad?  Well, now you have a enormous metal chicken to deal with.  Perspective.  Now you have it.”'

(from http://thebloggess.com/2011/06/21/and-thats-why-you-should-learn-to-pick-your-battles/ )

• Love 5
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

Love this.  Had to find a perspective quote I loved. ' “You thought *yesterday* was bad?  Well, now you have a enormous metal chicken to deal with.  Perspective.  Now you have it.”'

(from http://thebloggess.com/2011/06/21/and-thats-why-you-should-learn-to-pick-your-battles/ )

Thanks so much for this Auntjess! With the ASSanti family being what Dr. Now called, paraphrasing, "A perfect storm of dysfunction" I think we can all use something really funny to lighten the enraging, depressing nature of any discussion about these people.

This blogger had me laughing out loud multiple times. Great gotcha for her husband. BTW, her husband, Victor, sounds like a humorless, petty, dickhead, but she says she still loves the big lug. A lid for every pot I guess.

• Love 2