Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Steven and Justin's Story Part 2

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, Catfin said:

I couldn't make myself watch either full episode.  Did they say what happened to Mom of these two? 

She apparently ran of with one of her boyfriends when Steven was 15 and Justin was 9. I don't recall any other mentions of her after that.

15 minutes ago, sickwithsin said:

She apparently ran of with one of her boyfriends when Steven was 15 and Justin was 9. I don't recall any other mentions of her after that.

I would love to hear her version of it.  

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Aw my lahgs said:

I would think Dr Now knows Steven isn't all that serious, hasn't followed the program nor is committed to losing weight (plus all his mental issues) etc. Therefore, he isn't offering to improve his quality of life by getting rid of the moldy lumps. 

That's a decent point, but this new tactic of Dr. Now hospitalizing people less applies to all his patients.  It's a lot less common than it was in the older seasons.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, TicketToHellPaid said:

Oh sorry, I must've missed it. He pisses me off so much I can't think straight.

Oh dear, no reason to be sorry.  Just saying that I noticed the same thing.  Dr. Now said it very quietly, when he ordered the medication.  Sneaky little guy.  Lol

I didn't think you could direct the ambulance driver to bring you to any hospital you want.  I always thought it would be the closest one.  If he was going to all of those different ERs, some of them had to be quite far away.  Why would they bring him?

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:37 PM, operalover said:

If he had broken his arm falling off that cart (which is the way he was trying to pretend) there would have been no doubt he was in real pain! You can tell when someone truly is in pain. What an asshole! Call an ambulance- really you should be shrieking and screaming and holding the broken elbow.

Not necessarily. I have Osteogenesis Imperfecta, a congenital bone disorder, and have had approx. 150 fractures since birth. I learned very young NOT to "shriek and scream" when I had a fracture, because it made it more difficult for people to understand me and identify what was wrong. As a matter of fact, one day when I was about 18 years old, I had gone shopping with a friend. It was raining, and the entryway to the store was wet and slippery. One of my crutches slipped on the wet floor, and I fell. I knew immediately I had broken my right elbow. I tried to remain as calm as possible, because I didn't want to freak out my friend. I just told her I had broken my elbow and needed her to take me to the ER. I was in AWFUL pain (I could feel the bones crunching in the joint every time I moved my elbow even slightly). When we got to the ER, I told them what happened and asked them to call my mom. I overheard the nurse say to my mother on the phone "She says her elbow is broken, but I really don't think it is" - based on the fact I was NOT "shrieking and screaming."

When I got to see the doctor, I finally got a shot of Demerol (good thing, too - because I knew they were going to have to move my arm to take x-rays). I was quickly getting to the point where I wasn't going to be able to mask my reaction to the pain any longer.

The x-rays found I had broken my elbow in three places, and a couple of days later (after the swelling had gone down a bit), I had surgery to install 3 screws to hold it back together while it healed...

I'm not saying this applies to Steven and the golf cart incident (I totally believe he was faking), just that how someone reacts to intense pain publicly isn't necessarily an accurate representation of the level of pain they're experiencing.

(I also had a situation in which I had broken my femur, and was having muscle spasms in the leg which made the pain excruciating. I was screaming THAT time - especially when the idiot orthopedic resident came in and suddenly grabbed my toes and yanked my leg up off the bed. When I let out a blood-curdling scream, he said "Stop crying like a baby! Geesh!")

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, Honey said:

I didn't think you could direct the ambulance driver to bring you to any hospital you want.  I always thought it would be the closest one.  If he was going to all of those different ERs, some of them had to be quite far away.  Why would they bring him?

Yes you can. Even more so with non emergency ambulances. The "closest" hospital may have a 2 hour ER waiting time, while a hospital 5 minutes further may have only a 10 minute waiting time. I think you can most definitely request a specific hospital.

Edited by Aw my lahgs
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Not necessarily. I have Osteogenesis Imperfecta, a congenital bone disorder, and have had approx. 150 fractures since birth. I learned very young NOT to "shriek and scream" when I had a fracture, because it made it more difficult for people to understand me and identify what was wrong. As a matter of fact, one day when I was about 18 years old, I had gone shopping with a friend. It was raining, and the entryway to the store was wet and slippery. One of my crutches slipped on the wet floor, and I fell. I knew immediately I had broken my right elbow. I tried to remain as calm as possible, because I didn't want to freak out my friend. I just told her I had broken my elbow and needed her to take me to the ER. I was in AWFUL pain (I could feel the bones crunching in the joint every time I moved my elbow even slightly). When we got to the ER, I told them what happened and asked them to call my mom. I overheard the nurse say to my mother on the phone "She says her elbow is broken, but I really don't think it is" - based on the fact I was NOT "shrieking and screaming."

When I got to see the doctor, I finally got a shot of Demerol (good thing, too - because I knew they were going to have to move my arm to take x-rays). I was quickly getting to the point where I wasn't going to be able to mask my reaction to the pain any longer.

The x-rays found I had broken my elbow in three places, and a couple of days later (after the swelling had gone down a bit), I had surgery to install 3 screws to hold it back together while it healed...

I'm not saying this applies to Steven and the golf cart incident (I totally believe he was faking), just that how someone reacts to intense pain publicly isn't necessarily an accurate representation of the level of pain they're experiencing.

(I also had a situation in which I had broken my femur, and was having muscle spasms in the leg which made the pain excruciating. I was screaming THAT time - especially when the idiot orthopedic resident came in and suddenly grabbed my toes and yanked my leg up off the bed. When I let out a blood-curdling scream, he said "Stop crying like a baby! Geesh!")

You are a totally different story. You learned not to scream and yell because you had no many fracturs. The average person who has never broken a bone and does so for the first time would be obviously in pain and crying. I see people with broken bones all the time as I am involved in a dangerous sport (road cycling) and when those guys crash and break something, you can' tell because they are holding the bone and crying and they are obviously in pain. Not like Steven falling off the golf cart which was my point.

4 minutes ago, Aw my lahgs said:

Yes you can. Even more so with non emergency ambulances. The "closest" hospital may have a 2 hour ER waiting time, while a hospital 5 minutes further may have only a 10 minute waiting time. I think you can most definitely request a specific hospital.

I imagine he also took a cab to a few - requested a large van or uber, he can squeeze himself into a car still. This guy knew all the tricks to get drugs. I guess because of his enormous size no one bothered to check out the database on him. That is the only explanation. He looks like such a freak. I was glad Dr Now took him to the mirror and said "you don't even look human and you did this to yourself"! He has never said that to anyone else. I mean it would have been kind of mean to say that some of his more delicate patients, especially some of the women. 

• Love 5

Even IF Steven had done everything in possible to to dig out of the grave he is somehow managing to exist in, he is too far in that grave to ever get out. No matter what, he would go back to pills and pizza and mean insanity. Even WITH a positive attitude. Even if he got to the WLS part. He could die on the operating table. He is just so far gone.

On the show, Dr. Now does give these hopeless lumpy mountains of flesh, disease and mental damage a tiny window from which to emerge. Few to no doctors would take them on, show or no show.

I do not think Dr. Now is in to the exploitation as much as TLC is. Lately they've only been "slimming down" to 500 pounds or so, but some do seem to see the light at the end. All the shows have been unsatisfying at best and horrible and nauseating at worst.

Steven is the closest thing to a living black hole I have ever seen. TLC can't possible top this guy. Thank God.

• Love 11
(edited)
54 minutes ago, operalover said:

I was glad Dr Now took him to the mirror and said "you don't even look human and you did this to yourself"! He has never said that to anyone else. I mean it would have been kind of mean to say that some of his more delicate patients, especially some of the women. 

The only people deserving that treatment are James, Steven and to some extend Penny/Pauline/Marla.

Pretty much everyone else on the show is fully aware of their situation, of how their body looks and what they've done to themselves. Complying with treatment may be a (temporary) challenge and hard to get used to, but they're very well aware of their situation and want to improve. James and Steven are happy in their situations and have no interest in making any kind of change. 

ETA: while dr Now often has to take the tough love approach, he seems very compassionate with his patients.

30 minutes ago, RubyRena17 said:

I do not think Dr. Now is in to the exploitation as much as TLC is. Lately they've only been "slimming down" to 500 pounds or so, but some do seem to see the light at the end. All the shows have been unsatisfying at best and horrible and nauseating at worst.

Back in the day, Dr Now was a pioneer in developing laporascopic bariatric surgery. It's his passion. He genuinely wants to help the near helpless and give them a chance at life. He's in his mid 70s and still going strong. That's passion. I concur with you that it's TLC that's responsible for the freak show.

Edited by Aw my lahgs
  • Love 7
51 minutes ago, Johnny Dollar said:

He could have taken the new Uber XXXXXXXL that's all the rage in the Houston area near the Dr. Now Strip Mall of Despair. 

Houston is 80% strip mall. The Bellaire strip mall where his office is located is extremely decent compared to most of the other strip malls.

From my experiences, even when you arrive to the ER by ambulance, you aren't whisked into an empty room right away unless it's warranted.  I've been lined up many times in the ER halls waiting my turn along with the others who arrived by ambulance.  I can't imagine having to wait alongside Steven (while you are feeling like crap) unless they found him a room ASAP to get him to shut up.  I can just picture him on the phone to a hospital administrator screaming about his wait in the ER. 

Along with everyone else, I'm calling fake on the 911 calls too.   At least in my area, one of  the first things they ask is the address of the emergency along with name of person calling. I know the 911 people can pinpoint land lines but not sure about cell phones.  When Steven was calling in the van at the psychologist's office, I don't remember hearing mention of the address he was at & I'm sure he didn't know it off the top of his head.  Even tho the firemen showed up with lights & siren wailing for TV,  I'm sure TLC had some part in placing the call if it was even made.  I'm now thinking the firemen were waiting around the corner & told when to drive up. Same thing with the 911 call with Princess and the TV.  His conversation with 911 operator was just off & not the way it usually goes.  Even when he calls back to cancel, he sounded like he was canceling a take out order (ha-ha), not a police call. What a waste of resources.  A building could have been on fire or someone having a heart attack really needing their services but no, they have to respond to this Blob. 

• Love 5

I agree that Princess should have her own show. She should be the go-to caregiver to all of them. Professional, kind but straight out!

I am on both sides of the fence with people like these patients. On one hand why didn't they make an effort way before they crossed over into 500 town? Then, when thinking of some habits I struggle with I can see how difficult it is to shake them. However, an effort to shake them off is made from the onset. 

But we aren't supposed to say they are fat? Okay, what is appropriate then? We arent't supposed to say their condition is something they got themselves into? 

We who live in societies where there are many avenues for a high quality of life take for granted (or maybe not even think about) that everyone else has toilets, foods, suitable housing, clean environments to live in. That, I've found, is not true. It is only a few of us whose government is set up to provide these things. Billions of people do not have access to toilets. They get water, defecate, bathe and do laundry in the same place. What is pitiful is that they do not know they have a right to the things they are lacking. In one documentary, although the place was sparkling clean a family of nine lived in a 10X10 space with all their possessions neatly put away. Other documentaries showed the same type of living arrangements only they were built on top of trash and waste. And the people who lived there had specialized jobs from computer refurbishing to recycling plastic or making it.

It is not right for people like James and Steven to be able to put a strain on resources like they do. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Dammit, Toaster Strudel, you made me guffaw in public. I have Yakkety Sax playing in my head as accompaniment, as someone upthread suggested. 

ETA: I know this is nitpicking, considering all the other horrors going on in those photos, but he doesn't even have a pillowcase on that poor pillow. Imagine the grunge.

Edited by Moloch Must Die
  • Love 2
On 4/7/2017 at 1:12 PM, KateHearts said:

I was really curious about what he was doing when he kept saying, "come with me!" after reading him the riot act about his 14 million pills.  I wondered if he had the cops waiting in another room to arrest him for fraudulent means of obtaining controlled substances.

I thought he was going to show him the morgue, as in That's where you're heading. Like Ebeneezer Scrooge and the ghost of Christmas future. 

• Love 7

Outside of showing the actual Antichrist, I don't see how they could top this...thing.

Still not on iTunes.  I should probably be grateful, but I want the burst of rage running from him calling the cops on Princess.  At least someone is burning calories out of this situation!

In terms of SJWs...usually I'm the bleeding heart in any group, the liberal, the one pleading with everyone to see the humanity in everyone.  But even I have to say, fuck this dude.

• Love 10

Finally got to finish watching this last night and wow. I agree with those who say these brothers should never have been featured.

Steven isn't a food addict who needs a little help, he's extreme mental illness masquerading in (semi) human form. There was nothing about this guy that suggested bariatric surgery would help him. He'd probably take it as a challenge to find a way to beat the bypass and will see it as some sort of personal victory when he can get back up to 800 lbs even with the surgery. He needs to be locked up in a mental hospital with no way to access the outside world because he's proven over and over that he cannot function as a normal human being and within the rules of society. I'm furious when I think about all the resources that have been wasted on him.

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, Aw my lahgs said:

Can a golf cart even physically run him over?

I kinda wonder if a golf cart can run over a human at a healthy weight.  Golf carts aren't that big and don't have particularly powerful motors.

• Love 4
On 4/7/2017 at 3:34 PM, Hockeymom said:

Maybe because if his son was occupied he wouldn't be calling him 50 times a day?

Not a good reason; dad doesn't have to answer his calls. He can block Steven's number and check in with him daily when it's convenient for him. It's like giving a kid candy to shut him up from a tantrum.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 4/6/2017 at 7:01 PM, Banshee said:

You are absolutely right. As bureaucracies usually do, they go after law-abiding people. It isn't pain patients who are abusing pain meds. It's recreational users. My doctor says MDS are losing their licenses for prescribing "too much" pain meds. Patients are turning to heroin and fentanyl. Drug deals don't ask questions. And I don't know about fentanyl but heroin is potent and relatively cheap. 

Yup. Bureaucracies pick easy targets so they can seem like they're doing something about a problem, but all they're really doing is punishing law-abiders. The scammers and pill poppers like Steven have plenty of time on their hands to figure out how to game the system and their hustle continues uninterrupted. Meanwhile, my 75-yr-old dad gets body slammed by a cow and doesn't have the time or money for half a dozen follow-ups to renew his pain pills, so he tries to get by with Tylenol.

Edited by MillieSparklepants
  • Love 12
21 hours ago, chopperchopperbell said:

I also wondered what exactly they expected Steven to do at home all day with no friends and no TV (the fit he pitched about losing the TV was sad.  Couldn't Dad skip a few pizzas and buy him a TV instead?)  He must have been lonely and extremely bored.  A lot of these phone calls to EMS and hospital rides were probably rooted in boredom, as well as pill seeking.  Anyone left alone at home with no support system and little mobility isn't going to do well.

I still don't agree that offering him more reasons to stay in (a TV from dad for what? being so cooperative and wanting to improve himself?) and rewarding his childish demanding behavior will help either.  And while he did get psychotherapy (after he was pretty much forced to), he was not in a place where he could develop insight into his issues. The entire session that they showed with Dr. Paradise seemed acted on his part.

I don't think he exhibited depression so much as psychosis... a depressed person doesn't grin with satisfaction when they know they've gotten what they want, or connive to get ambulance rides and drugs. He is a sociopath, and I don't know if anything at all on that show was anything but an act.  I said earlier, the hair-pulling seemed like something he came up with when googling "concerning behaviors in adolescents." For that reason, I think the urine bottles, the food boxes, the general filth of his living conditions may well have been another thing he did for shock factor. After all, he fancies himself a star/actor/celebrity; the outlandish behaviors just keep him in the limelight and others talking a few days longer.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Suzy123 said:

??? I didn't watch the episode yet (it's not on TLCgo yet ?) but Steven obviously can't fit on golf cart, why was he on it?

Him & his dad were looking at new apartments for him.  Since Steven couldn't walk far,  the apartment manager picked them up in the parking lot with the golf cart.  He went up a small incline to get to an apartment & Steven fell out the back seat. (Or should I say he slid out)

2 hours ago, Moloch Must Die said:

Dammit, Toaster Strudel, you made me guffaw in public. I have Yakkety Sax playing in my head as accompaniment, as someone upthread suggested. 

ETA: I know this is nitpicking, considering all the other horrors going on in those photos, but he doesn't even have a pillowcase on that poor pillow. Imagine the grunge.

You got that right about the grunge on the pillow.  I'm sure things got really funky after Princess left regarding his unwashed linens & clothes.  I noticed the black & white leopard blanket was in the bag of clean things Princess brought in. I'm sure that was the last time it saw a washing machine. 

BTW, I'm not on social media.  Where is Steven living now?

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

BTW, I'm not on social media.  Where is Steven living now?

He is in Houston. When Steven did his live chat on facebook after the show, it appeared to be the same apartment we last saw him in on the show. The flooring was the same in the living room (or what Steven uses as a bedroom).

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, MillieSparklepants said:

Yup. Bureaucracies pick easy targets so they can seem like they're doing something about a problem, but all they're really doing is punishing law-abiders. The scammers and pill poppers like Steven have plenty of time on their hands to figure out how to game the system and their hustle continues uninterrupted. Meanwhile, my 75-yr-old dad gets body slammed by a cow and doesn't have the time or money for half a dozen follow-ups to renew his pain pills, so he tries to get by with Tylenol and deals with the pain.

Living in WI, this certainly caught my eye!  EEK.  

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Honey said:

A non emergency ambulance will take you wherever you want, but in an emergency they go to the nearest hospital (at least in Harris county, which is Houston Tx). 

My mom was really sick (endometrial cancer) I lived in Florida at the time, but came back to Houston when we found out about the cancer. She was bed ridden and not morbidly obese like these people, but big enough that I could not get her into a car. We ran into this issue because she didn't have insurance, and kept calling 911 (legitimately) and winding up in the local ER... since she didn't have insurance they would treat the symptoms (usually related to severe dehydration and excessive bleeding) and turn around and send her home. So it was a vicious cycle, once I was there it was apparent she needed to be hospitalized , and needed to be taken to a county hospital, which was 45 minutes away so had I called an ambulance it would have been the same story, county hospital and released. Like I said I could not get her in a car, and I had no idea what to do... and that's when I googled private ambulances, it was $200 and would take her to the hospital we needed her at, so that's what we did. 

So that was a really long story just to say a private ambulance will take you wherever you need to go, I think they charge by the mile... but still exponentially cheaper than just calling 911. 

• Love 4

Also, something I wonder, when Princess goes for the laundry, did Steven jump up and lock the door? My guess is that someone from TLC did it for the ratings, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed that.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

He could have taken the new Uber XXXXXXXL that's all the rage in the Houston area near the Dr. Now Strip Mall of Despair. 

Ha!!!!!!!!!  Best comment in this whole thread! Thanks for the laugh!  "Dr. Now Strip Mall of Despair"!

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

Living in WI, this certainly caught my eye!  EEK.  

Thank you for your concern, Fonfereksglen. It wasn't one of the larger cows, thank goodness. He got pretty banged up but has completely recovered. My dad is one tough farmer!

BTW: I googled your user name when I read on the thread it was an actual place. Gorgeous! 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, RubyRena17 said:

Steven is the closest thing to a living black hole I have ever seen. TLC can't possible top this guy. Thank God.

Never say never!  We thought this with James!

Back in the day, I never thought I'd see worse than Penny - voila - along came the mean and hateful Marla. 

I was neutral about them all until Then Nicole the Juggalo topped Marla.  

Then James topped Nicole. 

This Assanti freak topped all of them combined!

With so many freaks in one season, I'm betting Jonathan Nowzardan and his dad are digging deep for more nightmares.

• Love 11
17 minutes ago, leighroda said:

Also, something I wonder, when Princess goes for the laundry, did Steven jump up and lock the door? My guess is that someone from TLC did it for the ratings, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed that.

He could reach the lock from the bed. That's how he let her back in. Or at least that's what I remember.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Aw my lahgs said:

I would think Dr Now knows Steven isn't all that serious, hasn't followed the program nor is committed to losing weight (plus all his mental issues) etc. Therefore, he isn't offering to improve his quality of life by getting rid of the moldy lumps. 

Ya, besides Steven I have noticed a change in his treatment. 

Personally had I known Steven the play with my shit Monster existed I would have gladly chopped off those nasty legs myself and his vocal cords and his hands. 

He is u redeemable, that simple.

12 hours ago, Michael Stabosz said:

That's a decent point, but this new tactic of Dr. Now hospitalizing people less applies to all his patients.  It's a lot less common than it was in the older seasons.

Exactly, that was my thought with my post,  def treatment has changed.

11 hours ago, Honey said:

Oh dear, no reason to be sorry.  Just saying that I noticed the same thing.  Dr. Now said it very quietly, when he ordered the medication.  Sneaky little guy.  Lol

?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, leighroda said:

it was $200 and would take her to the hospital we needed her at, so that's what we did. 

that's quite a bargain.  My friend's son needed an ambulance for what turned out to be DKA and she received a bill for $700.  She's super brilliant and works in medical insurance so she certainly wasn't scammed or didn't know how it all works; it's just the cost.  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Steven-Assanti-Golf-Cart.gif

3EFFE16000000578-4386672-image-a-19_1491

Steven-Assanti-Golf-Cart.PNG

uh-uh-uh, you can't have any pizza!

3EC421BF00000578-4364552-image-a-2_14908

You're welcome!

I hate him.

I made an awesome slo mo falling off the golf cart gif but it wouldn't load. 

I suggest to all to slo mo toaster strudels gif, well worth a 100 replays.

• Love 6

I'm a half hour into the Supersized part 2..  A "gift" he says to 911.  You go Princess!

He is such a waste of oxygen.

Don't think I can deal with two hours of him.  

• Love 1

Poor EMT's have never seen anyone like Steven.  No doubt his logs (not a typo) hurt like all get out, but the lights and sirens?  Dr. Now drew a red line and 

Sorry ... no more play by play.  But how ANYONE behaves like that is foreign to me.  My mom in her dementia was more "normal".  If I even close to being like Steven, I would hope that someone would put a bullet through my head.  

• Love 5