Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Steven and Justin's Story Part 2

• Start Topic

(edited)
30 minutes ago, Muffyn said:

What was strange was that he didn't go from detox to a drug addiction treatment center. 

I think so, too.  Last summer, I spent some time as an inpatient in a local psychiatric ward (bipolar...I'm fine...it was just one of those things) and there were a number of heroin addicts and meth addicts mixed in with the psych patients.  If he didn't go to a fancy center, at least he could have done some follow up work in some sort of inpatient setting.  

I wonder what happened to the addicts I befriended during my stay, and I pray for them every day.

ETA: The addicts...the heroin addicts in particular...were some of the loveliest people I have ever met, and FUNNY.  You didn't want to laugh at some of their stories (like the time one woman went over the grass in her front yard, blade by blade, because she was convinced she had dropped a dab of heroin on the lawn...she was laughing as she told the story), but you couldn't help it.  A ridiculous situation, which the psych ward is, gives to plenty of laughter.

Edited by bethster2000
  • Love 21
53 minutes ago, leighroda said:

so it sounds like he hadn't been entered in the database by any of those other doctors.

I think the system is probably working just fine -- I think it's the show that's broken. I don't think Steven was entered into the database because he's not a opioid addict. He SAYS he is because "drama!" but his answers to those weird rehab docs seemed vague and cliche. 

31 minutes ago, steff13 said:

I can't believe he called the police on Princess!  He's just a terrible person.

Don't worry. Steven never called the actual police. That was completely fake.

1 hour ago, Samurai X said:
2 hours ago, WrongReasons said:

Watching Steven fall off that golf cart might be the greatest moment in My 600 lb life. 

It really made everything worth it in the end for me.

I'm not going to lie, I cheered.

That's a really bad wig, right?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, okerry said:

I remain most concerned at that poor cat in Steven's apartment. The cat was very sweet and friendly to him, and I can just see Steven copping a fit of rage and taking it out on that animal. 

I really, really, really hope that cat has a new home now.

My cats are wondering what gives with all of the extra lovin' and Temptations treats I have been giving them over the past two hours.  

That was one vibrant, friendly little cat.  I, too, am worried sick about it.

• Love 13

Never have I seen a more loathsome individual. That wasn't a rapist or murderer. Pretty sure he's too immobile to do the latter, pretty sure his brother has the goods on the former. We're all clear on his addiction to food and drugs but no one has called him out on his addiction to being a patient. 

• Love 18

It's been a few hours now and upon reflection, I think that TLC has successfully managed to alienate me as a viewer. I'm going to watch the update shows next week, but don't think I'll return next year. They are clearly casting for people who they know will fail because Penny, Paula, Marla, who was the other one? got so much attention for being awful, and they decided that negative shows were worth more than the positive ones when it came to discussion. Bad attention is worth more than good, etc.

Well, I'm one of the people who watch this show to cheer on people trying to change their lives for the better. I didn't need four hours of Steven even if it included twenty minutes of Justin. It was obvious before he ever left the hospital in Rhode Island that he wasn't going to succeed, because he had no desire to try. The medical transport was clearly paid for by the show, since no other patient in the series has been able wrangle such a thing. Based on his comments that he was filming a different show for TLC, along with that article that discussed him being contacted after getting kicked out of one hospital for being his normal, pleasant self, I think it's apparent that they saw that he was a point and laugh person, not an uplifting one. There was no knowledge gained by these episodes, other than how to scam a hospital out of pain meds.

The only positive I think I took from this show was Dr. Paradise helping Dad to find his backbone, and Dad telling the paramedics that he was addicted to the medicine while telling Steven if he went with them, Dad was doing nothing else. He must have said it with more conviction than prior, because Steven listened.

This was the last show I watch on TLC because their programming is largely crap, and boring crap at that, so they won't miss me as a viewer. Unfortunately, I'm not a Nielsen household, so I can't affect the ratings. 

• Love 13
33 minutes ago, Noirprncess said:

Steven's teeth are jacked up.  Especially during the Dr Paradise visit.

At the beginning of tonight's program, all his teeth were white but by the end of the show, that one tooth was brown.  What was up with that?

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, MegD said:

I'm not going to lie, I cheered.

That's a really bad wig, right?

The hair was a mess but I hadn't thought he was wearing a wig.  But makes me wonder just how much hair he had pulled out?

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Christina said:

It's been a few hours now and upon reflection, I think that TLC has successfully managed to alienate me as a viewer. I'm going to watch the update shows next week, but don't think I'll return next year

Same. I used to love this show because it really showed the struggles and successes of weight loss surgery. I think of Melissa, Henry, Ashley, Christina, even Marla. You see them struggle. You see them lose/gain. You see them fight against the help, but none of them were this loathsome. Marla irked my spirit, but even she got it together enough to lose weight. 

Steven and to a lesser extent, Justin, don't want to change. Steven is perfectly content with his internet, food, and drugs. Justin is happy playing with his hobby toys. I don't see any desire to change whatsoever.

• Love 12

I have mixed feelings about this episode, sure it was an interesting to watch a personality like Steven but I also am upset with how much he takes from the system with such a sense of entitlement.  He doesn't realize how much those ambulance rides costs, the pills, the hospital stays, the PCA and his food stamps.  I could list so many people I know or have stood behind in line at the pharmacy who can't afford medications like for seizures, transplants, diabetes or just can take home a few doses and come back every few days.  What insurance does this Steven have that pays for 17 ER visits with ambulance and 39 pain pills prescriptions in one month? Maybe I need to move to TX. I tried to fill my son's seizure meds 2 days early before we took a trip out of state (for medical care) and was denied.

I wish Dr. Now had shown him how much all his drug seeking behavior costs when he listed the visits. It seems like everyone in Steven's life is happy if they get a tiny bit of progress with him and are too afraid to show him the whole picture. The therapist didn't want to talk about the drugs, his dad would say no to one thing but then fly to see him or get him a pizza and even Dr. Now went easier on him then he should have, how many last chances did he get?

I wish we knew how much his father was paying for, how much the show picked up and how much "the taxpayers" Steven loves paid for. I was surprised his dad was paying for the apartment. Why didn't he just get a studio apartment? He just needs one room. At least save his dad some money. I just can't imagine if his dad really is a window cleaner how he can afford the pizzas, rent, plane flights, Justin's store plus all his own bills?

• Love 14
(edited)
2 hours ago, Noirprncess said:

Ok somebody prepare the handbasket because I was cracking up laughing at the golf cart scene.

Make that a handbasket for two!  LOL!  I laughed so hard I had to look around the room because it sounded like more than one person laughing.  It spooked me a little.  I needed that belly laugh too.  Nothing like a good laugh at the expense of the douchebag of all douchebags! 

After watching the aftermath of him falling off the golf cart I don't remember getting that damned mad!  First the ambulance people had to waste their time and then the fire department had to waste their time.  All because this overgrown baby "let" himself fall from the golf cart because he knew it was a way to get more drugs.  If I was his father he would have been writhing on the ground until nightfall and I still wouldn't have called an ambulance. 

And then the dad's other useless mound of flesh son cusses him out and blames him for his "useless hobby" store closing for a week.  Geesh!

Edited by swankie
  • Love 10

I feel for Steven Sr. Yes, much of this mess is of his own making, but all he does is take care of two "not quite right "obese helpless man-children. I'd be on anti-depressants if I were him.

• Love 18
6 hours ago, drivethroo said:

At the beginning of tonight's program, all his teeth were white but by the end of the show, that one tooth was brown.  What was up with that?

It appears his top teeth (and his dad's giant choppers) are capped. (The lowers appear to be all yellow from what I saw.) I think the cap fell off of that one tooth. Probably escaping for its life.

I have no doubt that Taxes did not pay for Steven's medical transport.  I work in hospital administration at a Houston hospital, and we go to extreme lengths sometimes to "get out" a patient who should be discharged, but doesnt have a ride, etc.  Once we paid for transport to Dallas, 4 hours away, as it was cheaper than continuing to spend $1500 a day on someone who didn't need care (Medicaid and Medicare won't pay after the clinical issues should be fixed.  They pay for an average calculated length of stay by diagnosis.  Some patients tale less time to get better, and some take much more - but the hospital gets paid the same total amount, whether they are there for 5 days or 30.)  So, add in behavior issues that could cause staff to quit or call in sick to avoid dealing with him, and that RI hospital was happy to pay the thousands of dollars to get him out.  

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Christina said:

It's been a few hours now and upon reflection, I think that TLC has successfully managed to alienate me as a viewer. I'm going to watch the update shows next week, but don't think I'll return next year. They are clearly casting for people who they know will fail because Penny, Paula, Marla, who was the other one? got so much attention for being awful, and they decided that negative shows were worth more than the positive ones when it came to discussion. Bad attention is worth more than good, etc.

Well, I'm one of the people who watch this show to cheer on people trying to change their lives for the better. I didn't need four hours of Steven even if it included twenty minutes of Justin. It was obvious before he ever left the hospital in Rhode Island that he wasn't going to succeed, because he had no desire to try. The medical transport was clearly paid for by the show, since no other patient in the series has been able wrangle such a thing. Based on his comments that he was filming a different show for TLC, along with that article that discussed him being contacted after getting kicked out of one hospital for being his normal, pleasant self, I think it's apparent that they saw that he was a point and laugh person, not an uplifting one. There was no knowledge gained by these episodes, other than how to scam a hospital out of pain meds.

I'll give them another chance next season.  Take a pulse.  But I'll back out if it looks like it's gonna be another slate of losers. 

I'm always looking to find the next Christina (I still cannot wrap my mind around her transformation from 650 lb blob into beautiful young woman) or Amber or Paula et. al.  I understand that success is squarely on the patients' shoulders and not all will do so well as these I mentioned.  But TLC seems like they're trying to get people they think will fail.  TLC seems like they're always trying to find the next Penny, because that brings in the ratings.

• Love 9

I feel for Steven Sr. Yes, much of this mess is of his own making, but all he does is take care of two "not quite right "obese helpless man-children. I'd be on anti-depressants if I were him.

And he gets no help from their mother at all. He may have his issues, but he is trying.

Is there a part 3 to this, or was that it? Steven loses a few pounds, we all smile that he gets it (or something), and that's just it? And Justin was never even really part of the program, so why is his name part of the episode title??

I was glad Justin was trying to do something with his life, but stores are incredibly hard to keep open and profitable. Hobby stores are almost impossible unless they are a chain like Michaels or AC Moore. Too few people who want to buy, and most of that stuff can be found on online now. That store is probably doomed, unfortunately.

• Love 8

Like some others here, I was bothered by Justin yelling at his father over the phone.  He seems like overall a better person, but has the same immaturity and short temper that Steven does.  There do seem to be mitigating factors.  Justin's rage seems to be triggered only by his father diverting his attention to Steven, whereas Steven's rage seems to be triggered by anyone diverting their attention to anyone else, or not giving him what he wants ASAP.  Poor Steven Sr. is in the intersection of both of their rages.

• Love 13
7 hours ago, Christina said:

I'd decided after the James episode that I'm out, albeit in stages. I'll watch the "Where Are They Now?" episodes this season, and probably next season if they do them again. But I'm not going to watch any new episodes next season because I just can't with this show.

And I want Steven's update, such as it is, to be on "Animal Cops: Houston" (if that's still in production). I'm only concerned with that poor cat!

• Love 7
Just now, Kellyee said:

I was glad Justin was trying to do something with his life, but stores are incredibly hard to keep open and profitable. Hobby stores are almost impossible unless they are a chain like Michaels or AC Moore. Too few people who want to buy, and most of that stuff can be found on online now. That store is probably doomed, unfortunately.

A lot of small businesses in general fail.  It's worse when the motivation to open the business was "this is a thing I like, so I will make a retail business out of it", and the person doesn't have much business sense.

• Love 9

2 quick thoughts before starting work.  1.  I am so worried about that cat!!!   2.  I hate when people think that once a drug is out of your system physically that you're ready to go home.  OK, it may be out, but you're still super dependent and no where near ready to be on your own.  Just from getting off of Zoloft, which took 18 months to feel normal again, to my nephew's heroin use - this is a long term process.  Cleaning somebody up and discharging them seems ridiculous.  

• Love 5
(edited)

so it sounds like he hadn't been entered in the database by any of those other doctors.

It seemed to me that all of his ER visits and prescriptions took place during a one month period and the system only updates once a month.

He may have his issues, but he is trying.

No he's not.

He's amusing himself.  

I continue to be permanently baffled at his father's inability to say "No."

This guy needs to be locked in a room and handed a boiled egg three times a day and nothing else.

ETA: And was no one else concerned that an ad telling you to pack a can of Redi-Whip in your kids lunchbox aired during this fiasco of a show? That's how situations like this get started.

Edited by Pestilentia
  • Love 11
(edited)

He needed more than just a 7 day detox.  Also, putting him on Suboxone was probably a mistake, since the feeling it gives is almost the same as you would get from opiates.  The only advantage is that it does take away all of the withdrawal symptoms, and if you have Suboxone in your system you can't get a high if you DO take opiates.  It would explain why he took SO MANY pills after he got home from detox, since he would have to take a lot of an opiate based drug to break through the Suboxone.  It can be a useful drug in some cases, but it is just as addictive as opiates, and it's even harder to stop since the withdrawal symptoms from it can last up to a month or more.  Also, I don't know how old this show was, but I don't even think they make Suboxone pills anymore (he said Princess was bringing pills), I thought they were only producing the orange film/strips that you put under your tongue.

I know several people who are currently on Suboxone, and their medicaid always covers their scripts with just a $1 co-pay.  This is in New York, Texas must be different.

Steven obviously has a severe mental illness that needs treating and I really hope he continues to see his therapist.  His father also needs some therapy.

Wow, what a family.  Not surprised there were no customers in Justin's "store", since that was the most depressing retail establishment I have ever seen.

ETA: I forgot about Justin's claims to have so much going on that he didn't have time to diet. Huh?  Seems like dieting would take less time than eating all day long.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 11
35 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

It doesn't seem like a regular hobby store along the likes of Michaels.   It looks like a tight niche market hobby store for those who play games like D&D.    A lot  gaming stores like that have an area with tables so people can hang out and play games,  there is one in my area,  pretty neat store though I don't regularly play those types of games, but a lot of people do and they will spend money on that stuff.   I hope it works out for him, it will be incredibly difficult but it could happen. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, chickenella said:

I know, right? I thought the detox they did for him was very short. What was it, 10 days? The people on Intervention go for like 90 days then onto a clean house or sober living place whatever its called.

I think Steven shouldn't be living on his own. He should be in a group home or something similar, if they'd put up with all his crap. That way they could feed him and give him his meds as needed, instead of leaving him to his own devices. Anyone else notice the pill bottles on his bed in the last scene? Not a good sign.

Detox and rehab are 2 different things.  Detox is strictly to get the drugs out of your system.

• Love 5

This show (both part 1 and 2) didn't even feel like My 600 Pound Life. In general, I have enjoyed past episodes, some more than others obviously. 

Some participants had real awakenings and were able to change their lives. Others, not so much, but still most of the shows have not been repulsive. James' episode was close to being over the line, but even so it did not reach the level of this mess. The vast number of comments on this forum surrounding James are both insightful and hilarious. 

Steven is evil, just look into his eyes and watch him smile and smirk when he gets his way. Of course, I believe he has deep rooted psychological problems. However, his manipulative, abusive behavior just somehow didn't fit into this show IMO. He will not succeed at losing weight because that is not his focus. Steven likes to shock people (always naked) and get attention. He has created a situation where he is a burden on many other people and he refuses to take any responsibility.

• Love 14
(edited)
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

Haven't seen the episode and based on these responses, I'm so done with this show.  Not gonna waste my time watching this douchebag. 

Trust me, the only thing I got from watching the episode was worry about the cat!!!!

The people they used to profile, like many of those you have mentioned,  were so inspiring. There were few bad apples thrown in like Penny to show not all succeed.  And a Penny episode does have a lesson for those struggling - for some, it can be the "mirror" they needed to break out of denial about their own addiction.  

But this last 4 hours was pointless.  Steven is severely mentally ill, in my opinion, and his illness goes beyond the effects of environment.  His addictions are the symptoms of that illness which appears to be more than depression.  

Perhaps the only lesson here was for enablers.  His father seemed to be getting it at the end and saying no.  If he continues with counseling, perhaps there is hope for him with regard to his enabling of BOTH sons.

Justin does not want to lose weight at this point.  Hard to tell if he ultimately has a chance.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 10
9 minutes ago, Kid said:

Justin does not want to lose weight at this point.  Hard to tell if he ultimately has a chance,

He might.  He still needs to find his rock-bottom.  You're right: it doesn't seem to bother him.  Most patients seem to be fed up with the loss of mobility or the inability to care for their kids or shame at being taken care of.  He's still mobile, he doesn't have kids, and he doesn't seem to be bothered by living with and being supported by his father.

• Love 5

1.  The editing showed many scenes out of sequence.  So it was hard to follow what happened when over the course of one year.  I don't believe any of the monthly markers because of Dr. Now's roving sideburns.  Like others have said, it seems hard to believe that Jr. was playing the drugs and medical transport game for nearly a year.  

2.  For all his attention seeking nonsense, Jr. made a huge mistake getting involved with TLC.  Living in Texas was clearly much rougher than living near home.  Jr. was literally left alone, which was a great thing to see.  He also gave the uninitiated viewers a clear picture of drug addiction and addict behaviors.  Jr. also exposed himself to professionals who will not play his game.  Jr. has become famous in a way he will eventually not like.

3.  I'm very skeptical about the money sources from Sr.  Jr. is probably getting some SSI money which Sr. probably controls. Additionally, there was TLC money.  Jason's hobby shop looked like he took his collection of finished and unfinished items from the basement into an upstairs store  and spread the stuff on a few shelves.  At best, Jason was churning not selling.  Jason was not worth the camera time given, because he isn't interested in weight loss nor living as an adult. 

4.  Dr. Now forcing Jr. to stand in front of the mirror and look at himself was brilliant television!  

• Love 9
(edited)
59 minutes ago, Honey said:

The website Hobbyhavenri.com is shut down.

Justin has been talking on his live channel about "going to work" and on FB he's been checking in at the shop. The shop has a FB page, and was updated with pictures as of yesterday. So either he's lying (possible but improbable), or just let the domain expire. Facebook is so ubiquitous now that unless you're doing e-commerce, you can get away with not having a website. 

As far as the viability of it--I know people who own/have owned similar stores. They aren't easy to keep open because they are a small business. You have to carefully pick your market, and a big part of what keeps them going is events. i The events bring in people, and people buy things. It also helps to have a niche (say MtG or Warhammer), but don't limit yourself to that niche. But if you have the right community, stores like this can thrive. My city of under 100K has 4 of them, each with their own niche. 

Edited by itsmyotherface
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, silverspoons said:

I wish Dr. Now had shown him how much all his drug seeking behavior costs when he listed the visits.

Steven doesn't care.  It could bankrupt a town, and Steven wouldn't care.  He only cares about himself - what's in it for him, and how can he get more of what he wants.

• Love 13

I'm just....sad.

Because I've never witnessed someone so intent on killing themselves.  This wasn't uplifting it was hard to watch and harder to process.  The worst part was seeing how terrified he was when Dr. Now told him his doctor shopping days are over.  And then suddenly he wanted to leave.  If Dr. Now hadn't dragged him to that mirror I wholeheartedly believe he would have gone home to kill himself.  

Sure, he's a waste of space, but he didn't come out of a box like that.  It was at least nice to see him make improvements by the end of the show.  

• Love 5

Found a gif of Steven falling off the golf cart. It was posted on one of the 4chan boards, not sure if I can link to it here. But if you did a Google search for Steven Assanti golf cart gif, one of the first results points to 4chan. The post is on the page shown.

• Love 5

I googled Hobby Haven & was surprised to find that it does/did exist. I would never return to a shop with so few items; most hobby shops are so stuffed with stuff that you can hardy get down the aisles. But the unkempt proprietor is what would really turn me off. Justin needs to remove the cap (he's indoors), shave the scraggly beard, get a haircut & (probably) take a shower.There were several Yelp comments; most couldn't have been real since they mentioned the large stock of items. Only one seemed honest:  

Alicia B.

Not very welcoming nor does it feel like a store. Family members sitting around the table just gossiping. Feels like an awkward thanksgiving dinner family more than a card shop. They seem to have a decent amount of products but with the way it's so uncomfortable, it's hard to browse. Avoid as you'll probably waste your time here. More like a collectors room with annoying Seinfeld-like parents and some card sleeves. AVOID THIS MESS. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Honey said:

Steven obviously has a severe mental illness that needs treating and I really hope he continues to see his therapist.  His father also needs some therapy.

I was very happy when Dr. Paradise nailed him on his depression and said that he medicates to feel nothing. YES YES YES!   

• Love 7

I'm not too excited about Steven initially losing weight, as I think that was just for more attention.  Steven will do ANYTHING for attention (as we've seen on his YouTube shots).  He was losing the attention of Dr. Now, and losing the patience of the TLC crew, I'm sure, so he decided the best way to get it back was to seem to comply.  He'll be one of those who gains it all back, once the initial attention the weight loss bring fades away.

And that "fall" off the cart was soooooooo staged.  You can see him letting himself down from seat to footrest to ground, slowly and carefully.  No way was he hurt.  But it's fun to watch and pretend he got hurt.  Big baby.  If we never hear from Steven, Justin OR their father again, I'll be happy.

I'll watch the follow-ups the next few weeks, as I'm hoping good things for those people.  And I really want a follow-up on Tracy.

• Love 6

Didn't Justin tell Steven at the end of the episode that the store was doing well?  I thought he said something like "We made $100 today" - like it was a big deal.  That doesn't even begin to pay the rent, much less allow you to buy more products for future sales.

The golf cart incident was so fake on Steven's part.  Given that the front end of the cart was up in the air because of Steven's weight, he didn't really "fall"; he slid off the back end.  But his FIRST reaction was, "Call an ambulance.  I have to go to the emergency room."  He thought, "Oh, goodie.  I get more drugs, and I'm gonna sue the apartment complex for negligence."

Many years ago, we lived in a large metropolitan city.  A transit bus was involved in a minor traffic accident.  Approximately 20 passengers were on the bus; none were seriously injured.  The Fire Department responded, including ambulances.  As fast as the actual passengers were being taken out the front door of the bus, professional victims were sneaking on the back door, waiting for their turn to be taken off by the EMTs.  Some people are so in tune with finding ways to sue, it takes them only 2 minutes to take advantage of any opportunity to get more money.  Steven is the type of person to have jumped into the bus from the back door.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Ivylady said:

Steven and to a lesser extent, Justin, don't want to change. Steven is perfectly content with his internet, food, and drugs. Justin is happy playing with his hobby toys. I don't see any desire to change whatsoever.

A recurring thought that I had during this show is that Daddy isn't going to be around forever. Those 2 wastes of space are then going to be 100% dependent on we, the taxpayers. Ugh.

• Love 8

This episode was striking for a number of reasons. When Steven called the police on Princess, my jaw dropped. I could not even believe it. This dude is such a massive drain of taxpayer dollars in so many ways. Between Medicaid and all the EMS he needs, and calling the police every other second when he doesn't get his way, I just really cannot imagine how much money has gone towards him. Maybe millions of dollars. I found myself thinking society would be better off if he'd never been born. An ugly thought, but there you have it. I have never before seen someone with so many negatives and NO POSITIVES. None. Not a single thing to redeem him. 

And the fall of the golf cart was such bullshit. Nobody who is truly in that much pain is lucid enough to immediately start screaming "I need to go to the hospital! I am in such pain! I need medication!" Those poor firefighters who had to deal with this shit. They probably don't tell you during training that you might need to lift 800-lb drug addicts off a lawn once in a while.

• Love 18
11 hours ago, fliptopbox said:

I've been to the ER plenty of times and the majority of the time I was never given a pain med script to take home. The one time I did it was for 10 pills, because I had a kidney stone. It blows my mind that somehow he gets (multiple!!!) ER doctors to write scripts for hundreds of pills. I've never heard of that ever. I take pain meds regularly for my health issues and even then (from my specialist's office) I don't get that many at once. And he does this all the time? I am floored.

I was in the ER just last month for this, and they gave me a script for 12 percodan.  I still have half of them left - way too strong.  But you're right.  Thinking back on my few ER visits, never was prescribed pain pills before.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Honey said:

The website Hobbyhavenri.com is shut down.

Oh, how did you figure that out?  I own an ecommerce business and it was making me crazy that he was sitting in an empty store with all the inventory, when he could have been shipping the specialty products.  The whois does match him so that's definitely the right domain name.  Maybe he's going to expand into online sales.  I wish him luck. I really do. 

• Love 4

Well that was a tremendous waste of four hours. These two episodes remind me of this season of The Walking Dead - a whole of talking with nothing changing. 

If Dr. Now had access to Steven's prescription history, why don't the hospitals he's been going to have that same info?  In NJ, they recently passed a law limiting opioid prescriptions to one five day supply at a time.  Or a half of a dose for Steven. I guess he won't be moving to Jersey anytime soon. 

• Love 3
  • Golfcart - I agree that it was scripted and fake.  Steven had the ability to walk. He walked before that scene, and after.  No golf cart needed.
  • The hair-pulling - I think they stole a segment from Part 1 and put it in to Part 2 and told Dr Now to say, "Oh and he's pulling out his hair again!"  His hair right before that scene and after - no bald stuff in front.  This is more TLC viewer manipulation/dishonesty.
  • One of the old patients from an older series, the 23-year old gal, is noisy on Facebook. She and her new BF are doing the same thing as Steven - getting personal publicity for their new celebrity.  They said something along the lines of, per the TLC contract, if you go "out there" with your own updates, you are banned from the show - and that she chose this.  So now that you guys are saying Steven and Justin are going this route with their own "celebrity" status, I think we can be assured that TLC has lost their "cash-cows" (pun intended).
  • They leave so much important stuff out.  All they need is one minute to show how Steven is getting food to his apartment.  What is he eating?  Who is preparing it for him?  I mean - this is something they devote HOURS to in every other show.  Because they pulled this guy into the program based on his media appearances, is this part of his package deal, like the fancy medical transport?  If they get to keep filming, will they send people in behind the scenes to do his shopping and cooking?  It makes no sense at all.
  • Where did that cute cat come from?  Who went and got it for him?  Probably a "free cat" from Craigslist.  Who brought it to him?  Who pays for the cat food and litter?  Who scoops the litter boxes and feeds her?  A cat could certainly be happy getting to spend 24/7 with a guy who never leaves his bed, if he's nice to her.  But that's not all a cat needs.  Heck, the one shot of the cat box - the lowered side that allows the cat to step in easily was backwards - facing the wall.  And who took care of this cutie when he was in the hospital?
  • Why do so many places, including Dr Now's office, allow him to walk in barefoot?  Even if he slipped on those booties they give you in the hospital, it would be better.
  • Notice how he was squirting himself with (cologne?) before seeing people?  OK - he's not bathing. He stinks.  Dr Now and the therapist said nothing, nor did Dad.  Ugh. 
  • IN the final scenes where he's "doing better" - what were all those prescription bottles all over his bed?

In my opinion, James (aka Ow Mah Legs!) was a worse person.  But this brothers episode was a more obvious and a dishonest manipulation of the viewer. 

The earlier shows at least seem to have some level of veracity.  Real people, limited resources, broken families, true struggles...

But the brothers episodes - there was so much fiction, scripting and set-ups to make it possible.  I have lost all respect for Dr & Son Nowzaradan and the TLC network.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Christina said:

The only positive I think I took from this show was Dr. Paradise helping Dad to find his backbone, and Dad telling the paramedics that he was addicted to the medicine while telling Steven if he went with them, Dad was doing nothing else. He must have said it with more conviction than prior, because Steven listened.

That was so weird!  We see Sr. telling Steven if he goes in the ambulance, he (Sr.) is going back to Rhode Island.  Cut to commercial.  Then, we come back to them in a van going to Steven's new apartment.  I have no idea if Jr. went to the hospital or not.  And if he did, Sr. clearly didn't go back to RI like he said he would.

10 hours ago, Noirprncess said:

The hair was a mess but I hadn't thought he was wearing a wig.  But makes me wonder just how much hair he had pulled out?

I hate to say it, but I actually thought in the beginning of the first episode that he had a pretty nice thick head of hair.  Or it could be nice hair, if he would wash it once in a while.  But I think he's one of those people that has naturally thick hair, when he's not pulling it out of his head and throwing it on the floor for Princess to sweep up.

9 hours ago, silverspoons said:

I have mixed feelings about this episode, sure it was an interesting to watch a personality like Steven but I also am upset with how much he takes from the system with such a sense of entitlement.  He doesn't realize how much those ambulance rides costs, the pills, the hospital stays, the PCA and his food stamps.

He. Doesn't. Care.

9 hours ago, Moloch Must Die said:

OK, the dad's an asshole but his delivery is making me laugh.

Steven won't even put shoes on his stank feet when he goes to Dr Flowers' (carpeted) office. What a slob.

I thought the same thing.  Then I thought "can he even find shoes that fit on those big misshapen blogs he calls feet?"  But he could at least put some socks on in the building!

3 hours ago, Kellyee said:

And he gets no help from their mother at all. He may have his issues, but he is trying.

He shouldn't need help from their mother at this point.  Steven is freakin' 33 years old.  And Justin is in his late 20's.  They should be able to at least do SOMETHING for themselves without mommy and daddy.

• Love 10