Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E18: Five Minutes

Five Minutes - So much can happen to the Pritchett-Dunphy-Tucker clan in five minutes! Mitch and Cam have five minutes to catch a new flight while fighting the effects of sleeping pills they took prematurely. Then at Rainer's birthday dinner, Haley and Rainer are forced to reevaluate their entire relationship in the five minutes before the birthday cake arrives. Meanwhile, Phil and Claire pay a surprise visit to Alex and are given a five-minute surprise introduction to her new boyfriend. Finally, with only five minutes to catch a movie, Manny has to find the perfect parking space and endure Jay and Gloria's backseat argument. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, voiceover said:

I love Sarah, and I don't mean this to be mean, but -- what's going on with her face?

Yeah it looked really puffy, like she did something to it.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, voiceover said:

I love Sarah, and I don't mean this to be mean, but -- what's going on with her face?

She hasn't said anything publicly, but she does suffer from kidney disease and did receive a transplant a few years ago so it's possible the puffiness is a side-effect of steroid medication she may be on for that. She did miss the SAG awards in January for health reasons and I imagine these episodes were filmed around that time. 

• Love 14

What a listless episode.  They must have filmed these segments in the middle of other episodes so they could stitch them together later.  Nothing had anything to do with anything else. 

• Love 2

I feel like I missed something in the Haley/Rainer relationship.  How'd they get this close, this fast?  I'd buy into Haley/Andy engaged (or even Haley/Dylan) before this!

Someone tell me that I should've seen this coming?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, voiceover said:

I feel like I missed something in the Haley/Rainer relationship.  How'd they get this close, this fast?  I'd buy into Haley/Andy engaged (or even Haley/Dylan) before this!

Haven't they been dating pretty much all season long?  And based on the end-result, it was clear that only one person was moving fast.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Marley said:

That's not how sleeping pills work.

I don't think they took regular "sleeping pills".  The label was in Spanish ("cuidado" translates as Watch Out AKA Caution?) and they were given to them by a friend.  Sure, it was exaggerated (it is a sitcom not a documentary).  Plus, pharmaceuticals can affect different folks in different ways, especially if one is consuming alcohol or is already amp-ed up for other reasons.

It doesnt get as much publicity now, but even Ambien has led to people behaving crazy/normal and not recalling a thing.

• Love 14

Guess I'll take the opposite stance and say that I liked the episode.  Didn't love it, but liked it well enough.  Well . . . at least half of it.  I did like Cam and Mitchell's segment even if that isn't what happens with sleeping pills and alcohol.  And I enjoyed Phil, Claire, Alex, and Ben's segment.  Could've gone without Jay, Gloria, and Manny's segment, though, and the only real reason I appreciated Haley and Rainer's segment is because it looks like they're finally at an end, like most of us want them to be.

No Luke, Lily, or Joe, though.  What the hell is with these writers excluding them from episode to episode?

Edited by Vyk
  • Love 13
8 hours ago, Artsda said:

Yeah it looked really puffy, like she did something to it.

My guess is she has been on prednisone for her kidney disease, but don't know for sure. 

I liked most of the episode.  Not so much the Gloria/Jay part though. 

I like Alex and Ben together, they seem like a good match. 

Cam and Mitch for once were funny together without bickering or fighting or competing with each other. 

I hope the is the end of Haley/Ranier.  I still just find it a bit creepy. 

• Love 9

Mrs. Readster and me were on the floor laughing with Cam and Mitch, that was the funniest I have seen the two of them. Especially when they woke up and had cowboy hats on and a dog. Enjoyed the Dumphies story line. Jay and Gloria were fine (my mother is the same way). However, seriously, outside the realism of California parking with Manny, his whole worry about the cappuccino machine was too stupid for words. Also, I love Nathan Fillion but I have hated what they have done with him all season with Rauner. Much like Axl and April over at The Middle, this relationship has been too much and very happy to have it come to an end. However, I'm with majority, either get Haley in a relationship with someone who makes sense, has chemistry and doesn't make us roll our eyes at it (especially given Sarah's health). Or just don't. 

I have to agree, why has Lily been so cut back on things this season, I get things with Luke but Lilly has been used very little the last few months.

• Love 7

I thought this episode was hilarious. Mitch and Cam sleepwalking/shopping/eating/tattooing/buyingpuppies on some kind of Ambien-like trance state was very funny to me, tho of course that puppy will never be mentioned again, cuz this family tends to be very bad luck for animals. Ben better watch out for his cat.

I don't find Haley and Rainer creepy...he's a very cute, youthful-looking forty something, and she's in her mid twenties. Fairly big age diff, sure, but also fairly common. But I never felt any heat from them either.

• Love 7

I thought this episode was really funny, especially Cam and Mitchell's part (and I usually find them, especially Cam, annoying).  I could've watched the whole 30 minutes of them doped to the gills, stumbling through airports.  I'm really curious how they made it through DFW without waking up.  And getting Lily's name wrong every time had me laughing out loud.  Poor Lucy...

I also kind of liked the Rainer and Haley part, mostly because I'm a nerd and know Nathan Fillion actually DID have a birthday this week, so that was kind of fun.  I like both characters, but I'm glad they backed away from the engagement because it's still a little icky to me that they're together, even though Rainer is pretty immature for his age.

• Love 6

I enjoyed all of it except, (and I know it's a comedy TV show) Manny kept hitting cars and just driving away. Nope, you at least get out and look.

Gloria's storytelling is much like Edith Bunker's. The only thing missing was Jay imitating putting a gun to his head. Sorry, All in the Family reference.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Ina123 said:

I enjoyed all of it except, (and I know it's a comedy TV show) Manny kept hitting cars and just driving away. Nope, you at least get out and look.

Gloria's storytelling is much like Edith Bunker's. The only thing missing was Jay imitating putting a gun to his head. Sorry, All in the Family reference.

I thought he was hitting the curb, not other cars. 

• Love 11

I believe Manny was hitting curbs, not cars.  Jay must have been extremely distracted by the story story to not be annoyed at how many spots Manny couldn't fit the car in (park) and how close they were to missing the movie.  He's a terrible parker.  (And like Jay wouldn't want to drive in the first place?!)

So, now Haley's had two proposals.  One (Dylan - although Claire didn't let him get it all out and ruined the moment for Haley, according to Haley) a definite no and one (Rainer) an immediate yes-turned-seconds-later-into-no. So, maybe the next time will be just right.

Not much to say about the Dunphy part except, yay, we finally have proof Alex is definitely back at school.  No more debates about that at least.

What's in the bag, Mitch!

(Who's watching Lily?)

Edited by indeed
  • Love 4

I wanted to laugh, I really did, but they didn't give me much that wasn't sad or ridiculous. They do farce well on this show from time to time, but I did not see it in the Cam&Mitch on drugs stuff.

Haley storyline was sad (made worse by how puffy/not well Sarah Hyland looked) as was the Alex story line

• Love 2
1 hour ago, indeed said:

(Who's watching Lily?)

Probably Luke. Or maybe one of Mitch and Cam's friends. Or that football player who lives with them (does he still live with them?)

I liked the Cam/Mitch part.  I was hoping for more from them, because it started so well.  I didn't care for the rest of it.  Haley's boyfriend is sort of an older Dylan (I miss him, hated Andy).  I am so sick of Claire and her neuroses.  Phil is even annoying me.  More Lily, please!!!

• Love 5
7 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

E

It doesnt get as much publicity now, but even Ambien has led to people behaving crazy/normal and not recalling a thing.

You know, I thought about Ambien too.  The first time you take it, it can make you wacky.  I don't remember much about my first time.  Only the next morning I found out that I'd made a 35-minute drive to a friend's house at 10:00 at night.  Without getting pulled over.  And I'd also gone through a McDonald's drive-thru & purchased & consumed a small chocolate shake. Don't try this at home, kids.

1 hour ago, Ina123 said:

"...in heavy syrup!"

• Love 6
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I thought he was hitting the curb, not other cars. 

I wish the sound effect would have been a thud instead of a clang. Well, my hearing is bad. Could have been a thud.

Did not work for me.  Everything felt very gimmicky, though I do like the Claire finally knows about Alex's relationship.  Though, why the heck was Alex not texting or calling them back?  They usually ignore Alex, so she must have gone a long time for them to pop in for a visit or care.

I do think Alex can do better then this nebbish guy who is too attached to his mother and cat.  I know engineering schools are one of the few places where ratios favor women and a girl as smart and attractive as Alex would probably have tons of guys asking her out all the time. 

The parking stuff with Manny is the first time I have ever seen him act like a real human being.  I did think he was being rude, but I understand he was frustrated.  I actually kind of laughed when he yelled at the poor lady running from him "Don't flatter yourself, lady", just because usually Manny things of himself as too cultured and refined to engage in that type of behavior.

• Love 9

The parking could have been funnier if they were skewering the crazy LA parking signs. The 4 signs that say no parking from this time to this time but okay with permit number blah blah blah.... They are super confusing and easy to get ticketed at. That being said, I can barely parallel park so I'm totally willing to pay outrageous fees to park. I grew up in a town that didn't require parallel parking and never really learned. 

• Love 2

At least Cam and Mitch weren't really bickering, and the physical comedy was there, but it was totally predictable, basically an episode of 2 Broke Girls.

I enjoyed the Dunphy and Pritchet-Delgado stories though. They were actually heartfelt and felt genuine. Everybody's mutual awkwardness at the situation (except maybe for Ben) in the College story was terrific. I liked that Phil initially defended Claire but upon further information twice had to re-evaluate his stance. Plus Cat Burrito! The whole set-up for the dash cam shots with Manny worked well with the front-seat, back-seat issues.

• Love 2

Was Manny making his mother and step mother sit in the back seat so his precious cappuccino maker would have the best spot or was it because it would not fit?  If is the former, then he is truly obnoxious, because Jay and Gloria are probably paying for that expensive machine (not to mention his college).

Also, is Jay paying for Manny's college.  I know Jay is rich and looks at him as a son, but shouldn't his biological father at least chip in?

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Was Manny making his mother and step mother sit in the back seat so his precious cappuccino maker would have the best spot or was it because it would not fit? 

Are we supposed to believe that Manny would go into the movie and leave the cappuccino maker visible in the front seat?  (He mentioned not strapping it into the front seat, but would putting it in the trunk be equally bad?)  I also think that the Pritchett-Delgados would have a car that automatically parks for you.  At the very least, that would have been a great spot for an automobile commercial touting that feature!

4 hours ago, indeed said:

And like Jay wouldn't want to drive in the first place?!

I assumed that Manny needed the driving practice.  He certainly needs the parking practice.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Was Manny making his mother and step mother sit in the back seat so his precious cappuccino maker would have the best spot or was it because it would not fit?  If is the former, then he is truly obnoxious, because Jay and Gloria are probably paying for that expensive machine (not to mention his college).

Maybe they wanted to sit in the back together so they could talk? It was a bit of a strange set-up but if the goal was for Manny to practice driving and Jay and Gloria wanted to talk, it worked. It's not like they were crammed into a tiny backseat.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Ina123 said:

I was reminded of my (87 year old) father's story telling. I always get 10x as much detail as strictly necessary :)  Smile and nod, smile and nod.

• Love 3
On 3/30/2017 at 11:30 AM, qtpye said:

I do think Alex can do better then this nebbish guy who is too attached to his mother and cat.

My perception of the character is colored by my negative opinion of Joe Mande, the comedian who plays him.  I saw him open for Aziz Ansari in 2010 and enjoyed his stand-up material enough to follow him on Twitter.  But in recent years, he's become increasingly obnoxious.  He's attempting to be edgy (perhaps hoping to duplicate Louis C.K.'s career trajectory), but it seems forced and desperate (and not nearly as witty as he apparently believes).  I especially dislike his political tweets, in part because his politics largely align with mine (and I hate seeing my own views expressed in such a sophomoric manner).

I know engineering schools are one of the few places where ratios favor women and a girl as smart and attractive as Alex would probably have tons of guys asking her out all the time.

It's been clear for some time that the series is set in an alternate universe in which someone like Alex is widely regarded as an unappealing loser, even among her academic peers.  The writers have attempted to justify this by sabotaging her character, which has shifted from grounded, self-confident and playfully sarcastic to erratic, maladjusted and rancorous.

On 3/30/2017 at 1:43 PM, marymon said:

You can't even deplane in 5 minutes.

That was the duration in which Mitch and Cam were expected to walk from a ticket counter to a nearby gate.

On 3/30/2017 at 1:58 PM, Traveller519 said:

At least Cam and Mitch weren't really bickering, and the physical comedy was there, but it was totally predictable, basically an episode of 2 Broke Girls.

I enjoyed that segment the most and found the parking segment more predictable.  Me (to my viewing companion):

"At the end, Jay reveals that he was the stutterer.  Then Gloria leaves the car and Jay leans toward Manny and says, 'that's how you tell a story'."

Edited by Rowsdower
  • Love 5

I actually thought that was pretty funny, especially the Mitch and Cam segment. For some reason, I loved when they decided that if they were going to be having a layover in Texas, they needed hats, for some reason.

I'm just happy they have Alex on campus again. And a Star Trek hologram movie sounds awesome Claire! You don't get to judge people, you ate a spider!

Gloria apparently tells story the way my mom does. Full of pointless details and tangents branching off from the original story!

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Full of pointless details and tangents branching off from the original story!

We frequently count my mom's tagents or shout "you digress" when she starts to go wildly off her story. 

I enjoyed the Cam and Mitch storyline. I also liked they ended up with cowboy hats though I doubt they would have enough time in Dallas to leave the airport to get tattooed and pierced.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

Also, is Jay paying for Manny's college.  I know Jay is rich and looks at him as a son, but shouldn't his biological father at least chip in?

some of them don't.  BTDT

I don't see Alex getting a lot of guys hitting on her in college :

For one, she is not unattractive, but she is just average looking.

Second, her personality is abrasive and off putting, not just to her family but often to others. 

Third, she doesn't socialize much outside probably study groups.  She isn't into that sort of thing.  Nothing wrong with that, but it also limits her ability to find an on campus boyfriend

Fourth, up to now most of the time it seems she has been living at home and not actually at school, or going home every chance she gets. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I don't see Alex getting a lot of guys hitting on her in college :

For one, she is not unattractive, but she is just average looking.

A significant segment of the Internet disagrees, at least when it comes to Ariel Winter in real life.  (I don't recommend seeking out the relevant message boards, on which she's been shamelessly objectified since her early teenage years.) 

Of course, the rules of fiction dictate that eyeglasses can instantly transform Superman into Clark Kent or make any woman appear plain.

Second, her personality is abrasive and off putting, not just to her family but often to others. 

That's how the characterization has been bastardized, presumably to justify her social unpopularity.  No apparent in-universe explanation exists for this shift.  She always had a sarcastic streak, but nothing over-the-top.  She was intellectually advanced, but she wasn't a haughty know-it-all.  For the most part, she seemed like a nice, normal (by sitcom standards) kid.

Third, she doesn't socialize much outside probably study groups.  She isn't into that sort of thing.

Because the writers jettisoned that aspect of her personality.  About four years ago, they had her doing this.  Then they decided that a one-dimensional depiction would be easier to handle, evidently.  And her only recent character development has been the emergence of a self-destructive tendency to rush into unhealthy, borderline-fetishistic sexual relationships at the drop of a hat.

Edited by Rowsdower
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, Rowsdower said:

She always had a sarcastic streak, but nothing over-the-top.  She was intellectually advanced, but she wasn't a haughty know-it-all. 

This is definitely a YMMV type thing because I have always seen her a haughty know it all with a mean sarcastic streak and I say this as someone who identifies a lot with her character.

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

This is definitely a YMMV type thing because I have always seen her a haughty know it all with a mean sarcastic streak and I say this as someone who identifies a lot with her character.

If she existed in real life, sure.  I'm viewing the character through a sitcom lens.  Everything is exaggerated for comedic effect (and some of dialogue falls outside the show's universe).  In that context, Alex's original depiction (a variant of the "precocious kid" staple) wasn't particularly severe.

Edited by Rowsdower
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Rowsdower said:

If she existed in real life, sure.  I'm viewing the character through a sitcom lens.  Everything is exaggerated for comedic effect (and some of dialogue falls outside the show's universe).  In that context, Alex's original depiction (a variant of the "precocious kid" staple) wasn't particularly severe.

I am also viewing as a sitcom character and I don't see a marked difference in how she was portrayed when she was younger.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I am also viewing as a sitcom character and I don't see a marked difference in how she was portrayed when she was younger.

Fair enough.  As you noted, this is a "YMMV" situation.

I thought this was one of the better episodes of the year.

I liked the coupling of Alex and what's-his-name. For once, I liked the Mitch-Cam story line and chuckled when they couldn't remember Lily's name. And I liked Manny-Jay-Sophia in this episode. Didn't much care for Haley and Rainer, but that has a lot to do with my not taking any relationship that Haley is in as being believable. She's just too shifty.

I hadn't realized that Alex was back at CalTech. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Probably Luke. Or maybe one of Mitch and Cam's friends. Or that football player who lives with them (does he still live with them?)

No.  Dwight moved to Hawaii with his parents after football season ended.  He was only staying with Cam and Mitchell for the duration of the season.  So I think he likely left off-screen.

14 minutes ago, mojito said:

I liked the coupling of Alex and what's-his-name.

Ben.  Claire's assistant.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, voiceover said:

You know, I thought about Ambien too.  The first time you take it, it can make you wacky.  I don't remember much about my first time.  Only the next morning I found out that I'd made a 35-minute drive to a friend's house at 10:00 at night.  Without getting pulled over.  And I'd also gone through a McDonald's drive-thru & purchased & consumed a small chocolate shake. Don't try this at home, kids.

"...in heavy syrup!"

''Cling peaches!"  :D   

• Love 1
5 hours ago, meep.meep said:

There was a previous episode this season that had Haley borrowing the bag Gloria had saved her paychecks money in for Manny's college. So she is paying for it for the most part.

• Love 4