Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E16: Basketball

From TV Guide:

NBA stars Charles Barkley and DeAndre Jordan attend the charity basketball game Phil is playing in.  Gloria's nemesis tries to shame her for lack of support at Manny's school.  Claire tries to keep a work mistake secret from Jay.

3 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Don't know about you guys but this might be my favorite episode of the season. Loved the escalating bet between Charles Barkley and DeAndre Jordan.

It was my least, honestly.  Claire killed two fish needlessly.  Haley and Rainer showed more of their complete vanity and shallowness (when, as Mitchell said, they both looked exactly the same!).  Gloria got pushed around by yet another vindictive woman (though it's always nice to see Jane Krakowski getting work).  And once again, NO LILY!

Phil was funny, as always, and it's nice to see Manny actually being helpful, and I was glad to see Luke and Joe after a two-episode absence, but I actually didn't find much to like about this one.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Vyk said:

It was my least, honestly.  Claire killed two fish needlessly.  Haley and Rainer showed more of their complete vanity and shallowness (when, as Mitchell said, they both looked exactly the same!).  Gloria got pushed around by yet another vindictive woman (though it's always nice to see Jane Krakowski getting work).  And once again, NO LILY!

Phil was funny, as always, and it's nice to see Manny actually being helpful, and I was glad to see Luke and Joe after a two-episode absence, but I actually didn't find much to like about this one.

Sadly I agree. I'll have to watch it again, though, to see if it changes anything. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I liked Manny imitating the Tube Dude in Phil's car and Gloria guessing, "Claire?"

Rainer calling Cam "Manny."

Claire's assistant using green tacks to indicate where his potential dads might be living. 

Claire's assistant reassuring Claire that it would be easy to piece together the shredded invoices because he was one of the best jigsaw puzzle competitors in the under-60 group.  

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 7
(edited)

I've always thought that when a comedy starts bringing in athletes and pop culture figures, the show is  beginning to circle the drain. 

Yeah, also when it completely stops being, I don't know, funny. Seriously, you know when you are not funny when Joe mumbles some of the only funny lines....other than Rainer's Cam/Manny slip up. Just not funny.

Ironic was having it come down to a free throw for a team coached by the guy who is pretty much the worst free throw shooter in the NBA right now.

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Meedis said:

Is this what Rainer and Haley mean by candling?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=candling

To each their own....eww.

No. As Cam(?) explained, candling is when you stick this paper cone thing in your ear, light it on fire and the fire sucks all the wax and build-up out of your ear.

The wood/fish plot was dumb and cruel with the dead fish. I'll give them a pass on fish number one because that was an accident but the second death could have been avoided if Claire had just owned up to the wood thing before she swallowed a living fish whole. I liked the little glimpses we got of the Alex/Cam teas that didn't work at all. I also liked Phil getting a win at the end even if it was just for himself.

Jane Krakowski is always a champ but I don't think that plot really went anywhere. Gloria is okay with being a princess? I already knew that. Maybe if they hadn't bothered with Barkely and Jordan in the same episode there would have been more time for her to do something with that role.

• Love 3

I thought Gloria accepting her vending spot down that dark hall was out of character; even a meek person would have moved their tables up to the hall entrance. 

Nathan Fillion is looking good, but still, his character and Haley discussing being in bed together ... ew.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, vibeology said:

No. As Cam(?) explained, candling is when you stick this paper cone thing in your ear, light it on fire and the fire sucks all the wax and build-up out of your ear.

Except it doesn't really do that. It's quack garbage. In fact, it can actually injure you. It would have been nice for the show to point that out instead of normalizing it. (Sorry, this sort of thing is a pet peeve of mine.)

For more:

http://www.audiology.org/news/ear-candles-and-candling-ineffective-and-dangerous

• Love 4

I did like the idea of sharing non-sexual bodily fluid (items? whatever ear wax would be) to be a sign of intimacy in a relationship.  The comfort of showing a less glamorous side of being a human is definitely a sign of intimacy.  It was an amusing - yet not shocking - contrast to Cam being a selfish dink about shaving Mitchell's back.  For being so dramatic about boundaries, he sure doesn't want to actually be that person.   

• Love 3

I do enjoy Claire's assistant.  He is funny in every episode.  He and Alex are actually a pretty good match for each other as well, even though he is older than her. 

Haley may have met her vanity much and vanity soul mate at least. 

• Love 8

Rainer continues to skeeve me out. I don't find him the least bit attractive, and he's just so vain and dumb, and not in a funny way. Then again, I do think Haley is the type to go for a famous older rich guy. I absolutely loved Justin Kirk as Charlie, Mitchell's rich flighty former boss, and thought he would have been a great match with Haley. Oh well.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

Rainer continues to skeeve me out. I don't find him the least bit attractive, and he's just so vain and dumb, and not in a funny way. Then again, I do think Haley is the type to go for a famous older rich guy. I absolutely loved Justin Kirk as Charlie, Mitchell's rich flighty former boss, and thought he would have been a great match with Haley. Oh well.

I agree with Rainer's skeeve factor for sure.  He's cute in an odd looking Justin Bateman way, but too big and old for Haley.  None of it works for me.   Hayley's the 'cool' girl and even though she took a detour with the manny, I'd have expected her to think Rainer was too dorky/old for her. I posted a couple of seasons back that I thought Mitchells rich cute boss would be the perfect fit for Hayley!  :)   That would have made a much more interesting story line for her.

I guess I'm in the minority here but I laughed out loud at this show several times and came over here to see what you all had to say about it.    

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I do enjoy Claire's assistant.  He is funny in every episode.  He and Alex are actually a pretty good match for each other as well, even though he is older than her.

In this relationship, Alex seems like the older one. He probably has no more dating experience than she, and definitely yields to the women in his life.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I liked Manny imitating the Tube Dude in Phil's car and Gloria guessing, "Claire?"

That was my favorite line in the episode and actually made me laugh out loud.

3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Haley may have met her vanity much and vanity soul mate at least. 

I like Ben too and usually find him pretty funny. I would love to see more of him and Alex together and eventually get Claire's reaction to their relationship.  

Would be totally fine with seeing less of Haley and Rainer. Agree with everyone who finds them gross. 

• Love 7

Although, he needs to recover from  his poisoning first. It was funny in a horrible way how his condition kept degrading (sneezing->clumps of hair loss->tooth falling out->tunnel vision), but he and Claire stayed focused on keeping Jay out of the loop. If you listen to what Ben says, his life is quite dark, but the actor manages to sell it as humour. Not easy to do.

Where did that wood come from? Chernobyl?

• Love 8
22 hours ago, AriAu said:

Just not funny.

Agreed. Maybe I was not in the right frame of mind, but I hated everything about this episode. There were 37 stories going on and most of the characters were isolated for much of them. I like the stories where the whole family comes together (and I realize that's not always feasible) but this one was just all over the place. I wasn't even touched a bit when Phil made his basket and they really tried hard to make that happen.

• Love 2

The Claire swallows a fish thing was gross. Like, oh my God, what the hell? There HAD to be a way to get out of that without eating a living thing. So gross.

I actually liked most of the rest of the episode, except for all the Haley and Rainer stuff, which is still kind of weird to me. I totally buy Haley going for an older, wealthy man, and Nathan Fillion is looking great, don't get me wrong, but its just looks weird to me. I wish we saw more of Ben and Alex instead. They would probably be funny on a date.

• Love 2

I've watched this entire show since ep one. I can't believe back in the first season I was proselytizing, telling others to watch it! Over the last two or three seasons, I've come to truly know the meaning of "hate watching" something, and now the two callous fish deaths* have finally driven me outta here. Series deleted from the DVR, and it feels great. Peace, y'all!

*Yeah, it's fiction, and yeah, they're "just" fish, but there's something about animal death for "humor" that disgusts me.

• Love 5

To the candling bit, I've never ever heard it refered to as just candling, it's always ear candling.  

I'm so sad, because, I love this cast.  But, the writing is horrible!!! I told my hubs we will give it one more week.  If it's not funny, I'm taking it off the DVR. The writers are going for cheap humor, like Claire swallowing the fish.  Do I think she ever would? Heck no! And it wasn't funny.  What a waste of a great cast!! Seriously!

• Love 1

I loved Nathan on castle.  He was better off being Phils  friend.   Don't always watch this show in order but is Dylan the other boyfriend that really works with Haley ?  

Agree that Alex Ben would have been more interesting.  Alex is barely shown and I wonder if they will show more of her relationship.  She is the most like Claire of all the kids.  So Claire not approving of her relationship might be interesting or hopefully funny 

On 3/9/2017 at 9:41 AM, Meedis said:

Is this what Rainer and Haley mean by candling?

I had thought that it was the

Spoiler

fetish of dripping candle wax

on another person (spoilered so those who don't want to know won't see).  That's moderately common in the BDSM community.

On 3/10/2017 at 7:33 AM, kili said:

Where did that wood come from? Chernobyl?

It did allow Jay some fun lumber jokes.

• Love 1

I think it's as much "body type" as anything else.  Nathan Fillion is one of the most attractive men out out there, but he *seems* about 3X larger than Haley.  I don't get skeeved out too much, but it can be unsettling to see a 6-foot-plus, beefy, larger person with the wispy waif that Haley is.  Maybe it doesnt bother me as much as I see hulking athletes often having these 98-lb, sub-5-foot wives/girlfriends....

• Love 4
On 3/12/2017 at 1:30 PM, Unclejosh said:

Funny people saying Justin Kirk would be a better match for Haley when he is 2 years older than Nathan Fillion.

11 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

I think it's as much "body type" as anything else.  Nathan Fillion is one of the most attractive men out out there, but he *seems* about 3X larger than Haley.  I don't get skeeved out too much, but it can be unsettling to see a 6-foot-plus, beefy, larger person with the wispy waif that Haley is.  Maybe it doesnt bother me as much as I see hulking athletes often having these 98-lb, sub-5-foot wives/girlfriends....

Nathan is very good looking in a manly friendly square jaw type of way.  Justin Kirk is one of those people who is going to have "boyish good looks" well into his middle ages.

As said above, Hailey is tiny wisp of a girl.  Nathan actually looks a little more mature then Phil and the contrast is off putting.  Hailey even looked younger then the teenager they cast as Ranier's teenage daughter in a previous episode.

• Love 2
On 3/15/2017 at 10:55 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Is making the shot when there's no pressure on him really that meaningful?  Didn't he make lots of practice shots in his driveway?

I thought the same thing. How did making the shot alone prove what he could have done with the stage fright in an actual game?

I was completely disgusted that Haley would talk to her uncle about any fetish her boyfriend has. It just seemed odd. And her face seems odd. I can't tell if it's plastic surgery or steroids or what. She just doesn't look ok.

I am a huge Fillion fan, but his role here just doesn't fit. As over the top promiscuous as Haley is, I can't buy her dating a man that may as well be her father.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Chewy101 said:

was completely disgusted that Haley would talk to her uncle about any fetish her boyfriend has. It just seemed odd.

It wasn't acruelly a fetish it was ear candling which is problematic and he should just go to his doctor and deal with his ear wax problem by flushing it out but it's not a sexual fetish.

• Love 3

I like Nathan Fillion but no to Rainer and Haley. I don't see any sexual chemistry between them and actually trying to look for it gives me the wiggins. I thought Andy was her best match because she seemed to have some growth with him. I don't want her with someone who's as vain as she is (Rainer and Mitch's boss) or as dumb (Dylan).

I do wish Gloria had mentioned in her realization about liking being a princess all she had done before getting to this point in her life, like driving a cab when she first came to America to support herself and Manny. JK's character made it seem like Gloria was always pampered and we know that's not the case.

• Love 3
On 3/18/2017 at 7:36 PM, Chewy101 said:

And her face seems odd. I can't tell if it's plastic surgery or steroids or what. She just doesn't look ok.

Thank you. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else. She looks alarmingly awful.

The only clue, per google, is Sarah Hyland's having bowed out of the SAG awards in January because of "health issues." My guess is steroids; she has the classic "moon face" look. I wonder if she's having issues related to the transplanted kidney. 

On 3/19/2017 at 6:54 AM, biakbiak said:
On 3/18/2017 at 7:36 PM, Chewy101 said:

was completely disgusted that Haley would talk to her uncle about any fetish her boyfriend has. It just seemed odd.

It wasn't acruelly a fetish it was ear candling which is problematic and he should just go to his doctor and deal with his ear wax problem by flushing it out but it's not a sexual fetish.

But her Uncle didn't know that. I found their tea party weird, because he was all ready to discuss an actual sexual fetish. It wasn't a setup that sat well with me from the show.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Chewy101 said:

But her Uncle didn't know that. I found their tea party weird, because he was all ready to discuss an actual sexual fetish. It wasn't a setup that sat well with me from the show.

I agree, that scene totally skeeved me out.  I'm trying to picture myself talking to one of my uncles and starting with "when me and xXxX were laying in bed..."  Nope, just gross, even if it turned out not to be sexual.

• Love 4
On 3/23/2017 at 6:58 AM, Badsamaritan said:

I do wish Gloria had mentioned in her realization about liking being a princess all she had done before getting to this point in her life, like driving a cab when she first came to America to support herself and Manny. JK's character made it seem like Gloria was always pampered and we know that's not the case.

Agreed. This is the woman who once dislocated her shoulder and slammed it against a wall to put it back in. I liked her being a tough woman who just happened to be beautiful, and then happened to marry into money, but did not forget who she still was. Now she is the cliche the character always seemed to be fighting against in the past. It makes her dull, that she is done, and now just wants nannies and manicures for the rest of her life. That is basically the "nemesis" in all other comedies about wives and mothers. Gloria' character used to be so much more than that. What a shame.

• Love 3

Can someone explain Jay’s lumber joke?

He said; “I have a certain expertise in timber. Even blindfolded, I can tell a Galapagos Teak from a Maltese Cherry. Came in handy for a cop friend of mine-- helped him round up the Cedar Boys. “

What are the Cedar Boys?

On 10/17/2017 at 0:00 AM, kiki17 said:

Can someone explain Jay’s lumber joke?

He said; “I have a certain expertise in timber. Even blindfolded, I can tell a Galapagos Teak from a Maltese Cherry. Came in handy for a cop friend of mine-- helped him round up the Cedar Boys. “

What are the Cedar Boys?

I don't remember this specific dialog, but I assume the joke was that there was a gang that was selling fake cedar to the closet industry.

• Love 2