Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E18: Moonshadow

• Start Topic

I am simultaneously looking forward to and dreading this episode.

Side note: why only 18 episodes? Is this considered a "full season order" these days? What happened to prime time seasons consisting of 22-26 episodes?

• Love 3

Well then.  As soon as they said "poker game" I KNEW it wasn't going to end well.  And any show that decides a poker game is the best way to show someone desperate to win money in a short amount of time, it loses points.  So BOOOO to you show!

Then the irony comes that the first time they laid eyes on each other is pretty much that sort of drove them to the brutal fight. When you're cringing throughout because how it reminds you of your parents fighting, then they did do a good job.

Then he says "I love you, our story is just beginning" and walks out the door.  Well that was bleak.

Interesting season.  Let's see how they will sustain these with a two year renewal. 

• Love 21

This show. They faked us out twice, first suggesting we would find out how Jack died in this episode and then with the blind date. Regardless, I have never been so glad to be wrong about Jack dying driving drunk.

The fight was so real and painful to witness. I cannot blame Rebecca for wanting a separation. The kids are not going to be happy coming home to discover their father has moved out.

You could tell that something bad was going to go down at that poker game.  I was holding my breath. I figured that they would set up Jack to win the first few games and then take it all from him. Jack walked away sooner than they thought he would. So hearing Rebecca sing is why Jack didn’t go through with the robbery.

I know that Randall has a lot of money, but he is unemployed so how are they going to adopt?

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 13

At the end, I was kind of "that was it?" This is Us? 

The fight was pretty realistic. Very well done.  I think I'm Team Jack on the whole thing. I think Rebecca took out her own anger on herself for Jack being right about the ulterior motives of her bandmate out on Jack. 

Randall wants to adopt like he was? I'm glad Kevin didn't say no to Ron Howard and went to LA. 

Can Kate even sing? 

I kept expecting Jack to die, so I'm glad he didn't. 

• Love 16

gonna stick up for Rebecca here. He endangered himself and the family by drinking (and covering it up for weeks), and started a bar fight, plus he said what she is doing isn't a career. On her side.

the Buffy poster threw me off. One thing about being (close to) the same age as the kids, the little anachronisms throw me off. Buffy didn't start until 1997. The kids were born in 1980 but I thought they were supposed to be 15 when Jack died ? 

(Maybe they never actually said that, just hinted?)

Edited by betha
  • Love 14
Just now, betha said:

gonna stick up for Rebecca here. He endangered himself and the family by drinking (and covering it up for weeks), and started a bar fight, plus he said what she is doing isn't a career. On her side.

the Buffy poster threw me off. One thing about being (close to) the same age as the kids, the little anachronisms throw me off. Buffy didn't start until 1997. The kids were born in 1980 but I thought they were supposed to be 15 when Jack died ? 

It was the Buffy film poster and not a poster for the series.

• Love 16
4 minutes ago, betha said:

No, it's the movie Buffy, which came out in 1992 and co-starred T.V.'s hottest teen, Luke Perry. It's actually a really great reference, because the movie gained a cult following on VHS during the early/mid-90's.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 6

Congrats to everyone who called them not actually killing off Jack.

It was "spoiled" a while ago by the producers and Mandy in interviews that you would not see Jack die this season.

• Love 5

So we probably have another year, at least, to find out how Kate "killed" Jack.  A pistol at 20 paces?  In the library with a rope?  A stiletto in the rib cage? 

2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I kind of missed Kevin's dialogue in his scene, but I'm guessing he told Sophie that he was going to LA to audition for Ron Howard's film? Maybe? 

Kevin told Sophie that he might not even get the job, and she said "don't be silly, I hope you do."  Kisses, I love yous, Sophie looking sad as Kevin rides off in Ron Howard's limousine.  

• Love 22

I'm glad they didn't have him die driving to/from Cleveland.  But now I'm really curious how it is Kate's fault.

Team Jack.  Sorry that your life isn't perfect, Rebecca. If you have no life or no fulfillment, take a pottery class. Join a book club. Do something to develop your life instead of feeling like you'll only ever be fulfilled by doing a career that so few are able to really make a living off of. 

1 minute ago, betha said:

Pretty sure that is exactly what she's trying to do! I think the tour was going to be fulfilling for her. 

It was until Hazel's dad planted a big one on her, though. I think it was doomed from the start because he was expecting something from Rebecca.

• Love 3

I found this episode a bit boring, but I loved the very last shot with Rebecca baithed in light.  Maybe that's Jack's light, because I think when he walks out of the house, that will probably be the last time Rebecca sees him.  

Jack and Rebecca had a serious fight the night before but when Jack left the next day, he wasn't mad and neither was Rebecca.  They left in a good place.

It was ironic that Jack yelled at Rebecca for wanting a singing career when the reason he met her was because of her singing career.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 24
10 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

I hope this show hasn't peaked already....

The argument was uncomfortably realistic to watch. I cringed when Jack made fun of Rebecca's desire to sing. I know he was hurt, but that was pretty low.

The rest of the episode? Meh. 

Edited by Literata
  • Love 14

Jack could very well walk out that door and head to a bar instead of Miguel's and then be killed in a drunk driving accident. I didn't really care that we didn't find out. I am not looking forward to the death scene. I barely survived William's. And missing last wk's ep I'm kind of glad I didn't see the memorial or funeral or whatever they had for him. I wish they'd never hinted that he died which just pisses me off. I like him so much more than Rebecca although I sympathize with her. Which: the kids are teenagers. Why not get a part time job?

I really do not like these eps where we only see for the most part only 2 of the characters or one group of the characters for the entire ep. And I really dislike Mandy Moore so any all ep past ep bugs.

• Love 10

Pretty sure that is exactly what she's trying to do! I think the tour was going to be fulfilling for her. 

I'm betting that next season is going to be exploring why Rebecca gave up on her dreams.  Jack was seen here at 28 and we "met" the couple when he was turning 36.  So they'll need to start fleshing out the 7 year gap as to when Rebecca said "Ok, I'm done" and Jack managed to find some sort of stable job. 

• Love 5

So, on one hand, it was a very solid episode but as a season finale, it seemed a little weak!  This might be a small consolation prize but I'm thrilled that Jack didn't die in a drunk driving incident on the way to see Rebecca.  No matter how he dies, it will suck, but that just seems like it would have sucked worse.

Edited by SuzieQ
  • Love 14

Am I slow, or did they not reveal how Jack actually died?  WTF?  They could have done a two-parter!

Honestly, feeling kind of let down by that finale.  Felt like a bunch of set-up that added up to very little.  It was nice seeing how Jack and Rebecca met and everything, but come on.  We already know he's going to die when the kids are young, so they need to quit dragging it out.  I figured that Jack had ripped off the bar, ran the skeevy poker dudes years later after Rebecca's recital, they recognized him, and killed him.  Yeah, I know it's far-fetched.  Ugh, I hate cliffhanger finales.

That argument was a great scene between Mandy and Milo.  Felt very real.  But I hope they work on the vernacular next season.  The constant "Really?  Seriously?" stuff from Mandy feels tonally out of place.

Figured Randall was thinking about a baby when he was looking at the pictures, but it didn't dawn on me that he wanted to adopt.  Can't blame Beth for looking skeptical.  She's just getting back to work after maternity leave, and for all we know, she's doesn't want any more kids.  Not to mention her husband being newly unemployed.

Hope Kevin gets the part and that ends the Great Romance that isn't.  That said, it's nice that Sophie supports him getting the role, assuming he does.

So Kate's assistant job is no more, which is really disappointing.  I think they could have done a lot with that and they just axed it.  It's definitely more interesting than her budding singing career.

Not a bad finale, but I was expecting more.  Definitely felt more manipulative than the others.

• Love 8

So lackluster.

I was really expecting it to be extremely sad.

I did like a few things. How meeting Rebecca kept Jack from robbing that bar. How Randall wants to adopt. The end speech from Jack. The fight between Jack and Rebecca. Those were good things. But, I at least thought we'd get a hint as to how Jack passed away. Maybe we did though...Maybe that mob guy from the poker game found him and killed him because he turned back to gambling? Maybe he dies on the way to Miguel's...Who knows.

I feel like there was some kind of foreshadowing there at the end when he said "It's not over. Our love story is just beginning" and then Becky looked at the necklace and the light hit it. That maybe, just maybe Jack was on the road at that very minute and got in an accident.

Also. I'm pretty sure they left us hanging because they didn't want a "Twin Peaks effect" where the biggest mystery of the show was revealed at the end of season 1 and season 2 failed because of that.

I'm gonna tune in this fall. And, I hope others keep watching as well.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Thalia said:

So we probably have another year, at least, to find out how Kate "killed" Jack. 

I will guess he's focused on something/going somewhere, she begs him to drop everything and either get something for her or come get her when she's feeling emotional in a moment of  teen crisis, and he dies en route, or on the way home. 

• Love 3

Who was the actor playing Derek?

Was it my imagination or was the signature missing from the record label rejection form letter than Rebecca received? 

It was kind of nice to not have a gut wrenching episode, a break as it were.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, elle said:

Who was the actor playing Derek?

Was it my imagination or was the signature missing from the record label rejection form letter than Rebecca received? 

It was kind of nice to not have a gut wrenching episode, a break as it were.

I honestly thought it was Miguel until Jack called him "D."

Adoption agencies are sure going to be lined up for a guy who no longer has a job and recently suffered a mental breakdown!

• Love 10

That was anticlimactic. Look I knew going in we wouldn't get anything real regarding Jacks death but this episode was just.. eh for me. 

I did like the fight between Jack and Rebecca and true things were said. Obviously the anvil is that Jack said their love story is just beginning, the kids were teens when he died (the funeral scene we saw with Kate's brief flashback and I still stand by when Kevin said "15s tough" to the widower at the wake he went to) and so.. foreshadowing. 

I knew Rebecca's blind date wouldn't be Jack. I was thinking it might be Ben for a second and then I thought maybe it would be Miguel or Jacks blind date would be Miguel's wife. But whatever. 

I was bored. I'll still be here next fall though.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I honestly thought it was Miguel until Jack called him "D."

Adoption agencies are sure going to be lined up for a guy who no longer has a job and recently suffered a mental breakdown!

Sorry, it is "Darryl".  CC just corrected to me.

I thought it was Miguel too until I saw them standing together.  Milo and Jon Huertas are closer to the same height.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Luckylyn said:

Jack has good qualities but there are chauvinist tendencies with him sometimes.  Jack does not take Rebecca's contribution to the family as a stay at home mom seriously.  

I agree entirely, but wasn't that kind of the prevailing attitude at the time? Rebecca and Jack are/were 10 and 15 years older than my parents, respectively so I genuinely don't know. 

• Love 5