Type keyword(s) to search

Get Out (2017)

Brn2bwild
  • Start Topic

Daniel Kaluuya was just fantastic, especially in the scenes where he's recalling his mother's death, and in every scene where he forces himself to smile while someone says something ignorant.   Also, the moment he realized he wasn't getting those car keys...  Unusually good and subtle acting for a horror film ... although of course this is one with a more serious underlying theme.

I actually had to Google to try and figure out what was up with the milk and cereal scene ... I guess it was just to show that she was bizarre and crazy and nothing like the person she'd pretended to be, but there were some interesting interpretations from various critics.  

• Love 6

I finally saw this movie and I don't have much more to add, but that I loved the TSA friend.  Plus, I think he was smarter than either Rose or Daniel ever thought.  Even in the beginning when he asked to speak to Rose when Daniel was on the phone with him, and Daniel and Rose assumed that the friend had a crush on her, I think he mistrusted Rose all along and was trying to feel her out.   

• Love 5

Finally saw this all the way through and the hype was very well deserved. Even though I already knew the big twist beforehand, it didn't spoil the effect. It reminded me so much of The Stepford Wives.

I don't get why Chris didn't try to just make a run for it when he found those photos of all her black friends...and this was after she told him she never dated black guys before (or at least brought them home. That was the point where was pretty obvious she was in on it! Ah well. Love is blind.

Geez, I got secondhand embarrassment from all those condescending comments at the party. And later when it was revealed that they were there to auction on Chris...yeesh. Ten times worse.

So happy the dog got out unscathed, though that poor deer getting hit by the car was awful.

And Rod is the best friend ever. Glad Peele went with that ending instead of Chris getting arrested.

• Love 7

I was relieved Rod made it out of the movie alive -- I was pretty sure Chris would survive somehow, but I was afraid Rod would come looking for Chris and get murdered.  

Yeah, Rod didn't trust Rose from the beginning. I couldn't figure out why Chris was so into Rose, even after it was clear her family was awful (even without knowing the truth yet -- aggressive and weird brother, mother who hypnotizes him when he already said no to trying her "therapy", inappropriate father) and she just acted oblivious to it.  

• Love 6
(edited)

Rose by that point would have been a well-seasoned con at getting people to love her. Chris had to be pretty much wrapped around her finger like all her previous marks were.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 6

Saw this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. Got me thinking again on microaggressions.  Who here who voted for Obama hasn't mentioned to a black person that they voted for Obama?

Glad Peele went with the hero ending, although I would have understood the prison ending, just not liked it at all.

• Love 5

I thought the movie was not that great.  The moment it turned for the worse is when he just happened to find a box with pics of her with all the black men?  Just easily finding a box in a closet full of evidence is what happens in a Lifetime movie. 

• Love 1
On 5/30/2017 at 10:18 AM, cpcathy said:

Who here who voted for Obama hasn't mentioned to a black person that they voted for Obama?

I have not, but to be fair I usually don't bring up politics if I can avoid it, especially nowadays ;)

Just saw this today finally. Very well-done. The way Peele portrayed the hypnosis (with him basically falling through a starscape with a window to the outside world getting farther away) was really cool.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

The moment it turned for the worse is when he just happened to find a box with pics of her with all the black men?  Just easily finding a box in a closet full of evidence is what happens in a Lifetime movie.

I just listened to the director's commentary and Peele said he imagined that Rose might have left the closet door open deliberately because the chance of being caught was part of the thrill of the hunt for her.

One icky detail I don't think I've seen mentioned is that Rose probably slept with 'Walter' when she was luring him in and now his body is being occupied by her grandfather. Ew.

Anyway, I loved this movie and found the idea and depiction of the sunken place haunting.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

The moment it turned for the worse is when he just happened to find a box with pics of her with all the black men?  Just easily finding a box in a closet full of evidence is what happens in a Lifetime movie.

3 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I just listened to the director's commentary and Peele said he imagined that Rose might have left the closet door open deliberately because the chance of being caught was part of the thrill of the hunt for her.

I really don't get why Chris didn't put two and two together and just leave her right then and there.  All that talk about how she never had any black friends/boyfriends, that was photographic evidence that not only was she lying to him but that she was in on it the whole time.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I really don't get why Chris didn't put two and two together and just leave her right then and there.  All that talk about how she never had any black friends/boyfriends, that was photographic evidence that not only was she lying to him but that she was in on it the whole time.

I think at that point he was worried for his safety, because he realized something was going on but he was still relying on her to drive him out of there. That's why he was screaming at her in the next scene to get the keys - he was realizing that she wasn't going to help him.

• Love 9
On 5/30/2017 at 10:18 AM, cpcathy said:

Who here who voted for Obama hasn't mentioned to a black person that they voted for Obama?

I've talked about doing so with friends in the process of discussing politics in general, but I sure haven't made a point of mentioning it to people I've just met for racial brownie points like Bradley Whitford's character did.

• Love 4

One thing that still really gets me about this movie is how the ending flips that kind of horror-movie convention.  I'm not a big horror person in general, so I'm not super up on the tropes, but I feel like I've seen a scenario multiple times where, at the height of danger, a character is seemingly rescued by the police.  Then, just when they think they're safe, it turns out that the officer is a part of it, too, or some other means of pulling them out of the frying pan into the fire.  With Get Out, though, it's the reverse.  The second you see the sirens, your brain goes, "Oh shit."  (And the real scary thing is, they stacked the deck against Chris by having him on top of Rose, but we all know they wouldn't have had to.  All the "nice white lady" would have to say is, "Help me, officer," and Chris is going down.)  You automatically think this is it for Chris, and it's not until you see that it's Rod that you feel that relief.

• Love 18
33 minutes ago, angora said:

One thing that still really gets me about this movie is how the ending flips that kind of horror-movie convention.  I'm not a big horror person in general, so I'm not super up on the tropes, but I feel like I've seen a scenario multiple times where, at the height of danger, a character is seemingly rescued by the police.  Then, just when they think they're safe, it turns out that the officer is a part of it, too, or some other means of pulling them out of the frying pan into the fire.  With Get Out, though, it's the reverse.  The second you see the sirens, your brain goes, "Oh shit."  (And the real scary thing is, they stacked the deck against Chris by having him on top of Rose, but we all know they wouldn't have had to.  All the "nice white lady" would have to say is, "Help me, officer," and Chris is going down.)  You automatically think this is it for Chris, and it's not until you see that it's Rod that you feel that relief.

This is precisely the genius behind Jordan's writing: taking the horrific realities of the black experience and playing it against the horror trope the audience expects. 

• Love 16
On 3/29/2017 at 9:35 PM, dkb said:

The tension was fantastic.

^^This is one of my greatest fears. I'm paranoid about having my phone charged. This movie did not help with the paranoia. 

I just saw it tonight and agree with all the posts above about seeing it with an audience. Ours had maybe 30 people maximum but it was still great. There was clapping when Rod shows up at the end. I don't think I've ever been so relived to see someone as I was to see Rod, lol. My heart was pounding for Chris to make it and got so scared when the car pulled up.

The scene with "Bingo" was truly chilling; so casually sitting there bidding on someone. The fact that there was no dialogue was great, the visual of it was horrifying.  I also was hoping that Rose herself was under hypnosis and didn't realize what was happening, but women is a cold one sitting there looking for her next victim.

Great performances by everyone.

I thought he just got a bingo :(   Didn't see  any bidding :(

On 6/22/2017 at 8:00 AM, krankydoodle said:

One icky detail I don't think I've seen mentioned is that Rose probably slept with 'Walter' when she was luring him in and now his body is being occupied by her grandfather. Ew.

Anyway, I loved this movie and found the idea and depiction of the sunken place haunting.

I was expecting ScarJo to make an appearance a la Under the Skin

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 0:31 PM, SlovakPrincess said:

Daniel Kaluuya was just fantastic, especially in the scenes where he's recalling his mother's death, and in every scene where he forces himself to smile while someone says something ignorant.   Also, the moment he realized he wasn't getting those car keys...  Unusually good and subtle acting for a horror film ... although of course this is one with a more serious underlying theme.

I actually had to Google to try and figure out what was up with the milk and cereal scene ... I guess it was just to show that she was bizarre and crazy and nothing like the person she'd pretended to be, but there were some interesting interpretations from various critics.  

The deconstructive cereal scene was interesting; I was getting either "Rose doesn't mix her white milk with colored cereal", or the scene was just the "real" Rose as an anal sociopath.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:00 AM, Laurie4H said:

I thought the movie was not that great.  The moment it turned for the worse is when he just happened to find a box with pics of her with all the black men?  Just easily finding a box in a closet full of evidence is what happens in a Lifetime movie. 

As mentioned above I could totally see Rose leaving the box for Chris to find as part of the "chase".  There were at least eight photos of her with various men and Georgina so I can imagine this "weekend routine" is pretty rehearsed at this point, maybe she wanted to liven it up.

I also like the theory that it was the "real" Georgina who left the box for Chris to find.  While grandma was unplugging the phone to help with trapping Chris, the "real' Georgina was coming through and leaving the box to help save Chris.

• Love 7
On 3/13/2017 at 2:32 PM, Violet Impulse said:

Other cool small details (some I noticed, some I read about later): Chris picking cotton (from the chair) saved his life. The buck's head mounted on the wall. The singing over the opening credits was partly in Swahili, saying "listen to the ancestors, run away". The Japanese guy at the gathering was an homage to the Japanese guy in Rosemary's Baby. The brother with his banjo was a Deliverance detail, and other movies given a nod were The Stepford Wives, The Shining, and maybe Halloween. It's possible that when Rose's brother put Chris in the choke hold, it was a reference to Radio Raheem's death by that same police choke hold in Do the Right Thing, but then again that used to be a depressingly common tactic with the police.

The cotton:  how did he get it into his ears if his wrists were tied to the armrests? 

The chokehold: I thought this was just so that the audience can realize that Jeremy is the one that abducted the man at the beginning of the movie.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Blissfool said:

The cotton:  how did he get it into his ears if his wrists were tied to the armrests? 

It was the stuffing, not cotton. Chris clawed it out from the arms of the chair that he was tied to and was able to put into his ears.

• Love 1

I think only his wrists and ankles were strapped, so he was able to lean forward to where his hands could reach his ears. I thought he was going to keep picking the stuffing until he could loosen the straps enough to free his hands.

• Love 4
On 11/5/2017 at 2:01 PM, Blissfool said:

The chokehold: I thought this was just so that the audience can realize that Jeremy is the one that abducted the man at the beginning of the movie.

I also got from the chokehold that it was a callback to the earlier conversation during dinner, when Jeremy is talking to Chris about MMA fighting and how you have to be three steps ahead of your opponent. Chris observes two times Jeremy's move to block him from grabbing hold of the door to open it; on his third attempt to grab open the door, he knows Jeremy his going to use is leg to kick it back closed, and that's when he stabs him. 

Edited by tongueincheek
  • Love 3

Wow.  Very freaky.  Loved the homage to horror films gone before:

To Stepford Wives.  Tina Louise and Paula Prentiss echoing the “husband” and the “housekeeper” characters: the first character change was...weird and uncomfortable.  The second was horrifying and tragic.  And the garden party that was off just enough, that the truth dawns in retrospect.

To Rosemary’s Baby.  The friendly neighbor couple who sets it all up.  The shocking twist when Guy ( & later, even more horrifying) and the Doctor betray her.

To Misery.  Weird fawning compliments result in captivity, and the captive tricks his own release.

To Hannibal.  That movie sucked, but the whole sawing-off the skull grossness was there.  Eeeeyyyeeeuuuwwww.

For me the happy surprise was Erika Alexander popping up as the cop Chris’s buddy tries to enlist in the search.  And, truth be told, I was hoping that SHE would be the one, climbing out of the police car at the end.

Edited by voiceover
  • Love 4
On 6/22/2017 at 11:24 AM, Spartan Girl said:

I think he wanted to believe that Rose had been hypnotized too, and that she didn't remember bringing home other boyfriends. 

I was surprised that he knew how to drive.  Why did he have just a photo ID, no driver's license?  I was expecting him to take off on foot.  I suppose someone who's never driven could figure it out, from years of watching other people.  It'd be difficult with a manual transmission though.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I think he wanted to believe that Rose had been hypnotized too, and that she didn't remember bringing home other boyfriends. 

I was surprised that he knew how to drive.  Why did he have just a photo ID, no driver's license?  I was expecting him to take off on foot.  I suppose someone who's never driven could figure it out, from years of watching other people.  It'd be difficult with a manual transmission though.

Yeah, I was kind of confused by the "no driver's license".  At first I thought it was just a NY city thing, but then I thought maybe it was a reaction of his mother's death.  Not wanting to get behind the wheel of a car.

• Love 4
On 5/29/2017 at 3:31 PM, SlovakPrincess said:

My interpretation of that scene is that Rose is someone who doesn't get to enjoy "sweet" junk food because she has to remain a size 2 being that she has to be a honey trapp. She only allows herself the indulgence of a cup of Froot Loops and milk when she has a job well done. As someone who has something bordering on an eating disorder, she therefore has "rituals" that she uses when she does indulge herself. You can kind of go back to that scene in the beginning, where she's smiling at the donuts that she gets for Chris. (And that we never see her eat.) She's thinking of her own sweet reward that she'll get to have once she delivers the black boy to the market.

And yeah, the idea that her big indulgence is a cup of milk and Froot Loops is both hilarious and sad at the same time. It also shows you how tightly wound Real Rose is. (Notice that she drops the act, she immediately pulls her hair up and then gets herself dressed in a plain white Oxford.)

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 8

I really enjoyed this movie, and I can see why Peele calls it a "documentary."  Well acted by Daniel and I was too thrilled to see those awful people get theirs.

There were some confusing parts, though.  Those pictures that Rose had in her closet, had all those men been "taken" already?  Or were they just prospective targets?  We didn't see any of them at the party, save for Logan, the maid, and the groundskeeper who had been claimed by her grandparents.

I finally realized this was on HBO on Demand and got to watch it. It lived up to every expectation I had. It was horrifically wonderful. Beautifully chilling. I love that I had no real idea what was going on until just before the reveal. I was with Rod, on the modern slavery idea. I was thinking non-sexual (other than the old lady with Andre) slavery but still.

The bingo scene is one of the must chilling things I've seen in a while. Just the calm civility of it. Especially after discovering this wasn't just brainwashed slavery but actual body snatching. 

I was so happy I actually cheered when I saw "airport" on the side of the police car and realized it was Rod. Wonderful, TS-motherfucking-A Rod getting shit done! I was, from the moment Chris killed the brother, pretty damned sure that this was going to end with Chris getting arrested as the black survivor who massacred a white family. I am so glad that Peele gave us a happy ending knowing full well that our minds would immediately assume the unhappy ending, this being the world we live in. It is too depressing thinking about what would most likely have happened. 

• Love 12
6 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I really enjoyed this movie, and I can see why Peele calls it a "documentary."  Well acted by Daniel and I was too thrilled to see those awful people get theirs.

There were some confusing parts, though.  Those pictures that Rose had in her closet, had all those men been "taken" already?  Or were they just prospective targets?  We didn't see any of them at the party, save for Logan, the maid, and the groundskeeper who had been claimed by her grandparents.

I'm assuming we are to believe that they were the previous victims. 

Edited by JBC344
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, JBC344 said:

All the men had been taken.  At least that is what we are to believe since the groundskeeper and the maid had been among the photos we saw. 

I figured that was the case.  In the end, we see that the grandparents' brains have been officially incorporated within the hosts.  I just wondered why they waited so long to do it?  How long had this whole thing been going on, anyway?  Maybe those men in the pictures had been guinea pigs to make sure the procedure worked properly.  And if the party mainly served as an auction for Chris, then it would make sense that some of their "success stories" wouldn't be in attendance.  The Armitages' probably wanted prospective buyers only. 

Ugh, even writing that sounds awful, but you get what I mean.

• Love 1

I'm assuming we are to believe that they were the previous victims. 

Maybe they were early attempts, before they had perfected the procedure and those victims didn't quite make it. I think they might have been the lucky ones. 

What's going to happen to Andre? Someone better go flash a freaking camera in his face to wake him up. I think death would be a better option then having some old white guy living in his body.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I just wondered why they waited so long to do it?

I think they had to get the boyfriends to relax enough so Catherine Keener's character could hypnotize them.  Then they had to pair up the host with the Bingo winner. 

• Love 1

My son and I watched this together last night on HBO.  He had seen it before and read all the commentary on reddit so he was able to explain a lot of things.  He warned me at the beginning that nearly every scene had a double meaning.  It was mind-blowing, and I've never been a horror fan, but I loved it.  The comments here are really good.  Missed Key as one of the potential "recruits."  All the acting was excellent but Allisonn Williams really surprised me.

• Love 3

He had seen it before and read all the commentary on reddit so he was able to explain a lot of things.  He warned me at the beginning that nearly every scene had a double meaning.  It was mind-blowing, and I've never been a horror fan, but I loved it.

I also just saw it for the first time thanks to HBO (I've been waiting for it to come to a movie channel - finally!). I feel like I need to do an immediate re-watch now that I've read this thread, because my mind is reeling at all the stuff I missed the first time around - I did not at all understand bingo to be the bidding process for Chris, for example, or that all of the white people were feeling him out at the party in preparation for their bids. I did know Rose was in on it having seen the image of her holding the keys on Twitter as a meme for various stuff. It's a good one.

It's awesome to see the film getting love in some of the early awards. Jordan Peele just got best first film from the New York Film Critics Circle and a couple of other ones at the Gotham Awards. I'm realllllll eager to see how many Golden Globe noms it gets come December 11. I'm guessing it will be very well represented in the Comedy/Musical categories, and it will be interesting (and probably a good Oscar predictor) to see who wins out of the Get Out/Lady Bird/The Big Sick trifecta in those categories.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

So happy for Jordan Peele and his Oscar win tonight for original screenplay. That was a extra tough category this year.

It certainly was a tough category.  I loved what Greta Gerwig did with Lady Bird, a movie that sounded really unappealing the first time I heard about it.  But I was happy to see Jordan Peele acknowledged for Get Out, a movie that has stayed with me (and that I should watch again).

• Love 5

I’m watching this for night Five of my personal Halloween movie marathon. I’m enjoying it. 

It was very good! The acting was so subtle and superb, the laying of groundwork with micro aggression after micro aggression. I did love that he didn’t give up or hesitate to pull any punches to “get out” and his friend Rod with the TSA was a good bit of comic relief. I’d classify it as a suspense film in my roster, and a good choice for Halloween. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 9

Okay, well. I don't think I'll ever be able to look at somebody stirring tea quite the same way again...

Finally got a chance to see this as well. Normally I'm not bugged about spoilers one way or another, but I purposely avoided them for this movie, 'cause I felt the "not knowing" would add to the scary nature of it all.

And it was definitely the right choice. I lost count of how many times I was sitting here going, "...okay, WTF?" along with Chris throughout (those videos he kept watching while being held captive made me think of that freaky tape from The Ring in some ways), and I liked the way they handled all the jump scares, in particular, the scene with that poor guy being attacked at the beginning, and the scene when we first see Walter running at Chris when he goes outside to smoke that first night. I was like, "Run! MOVE!" And even now, reading through this thread has made me want to rewatch the movie because of all the subtle things that I might've missed on first viewing. It's nice to see a film that rewards repeat viewings like that. 

Fully agreed with everyone on Georgina. She was captivating. That scene with her entering the bedroom and walking towards Chris was so creepy...I was sitting down, and yet I still wanted to back up as she kept coming closer and closer and closer. I loved the scene with Chris not wanting to leave her in the road after hitting her with the car, too-they played on our conflicting emotions so well there, 'cause on the one hand, you understand why he went back to get her, but on the other hand, the moment she was in the car I was like, "...that's going to be a bad decision, isn't it?"

Echoing everyone's thoughts on the scenes with the white people's cringeworthy comments to Chris as well (and that one lady getting all handsy and trying to feel his muscles. Oof), and I loved Williams' take on Rose. She did a great job of walking that very, very fine line with her shifting personality throughout, and I liked the way they dropped little hints showing how "off" she really was. That scene with Chris realizing she wasn't actually going to give him the keys was a perfect stomach-sinking, "...oh, shit..." moment. And I was definitely cheering Chris on when he was fighting his way out of the house. Using those deer antlers was a particularly inspired touch. Also, A+ casting with Keener as Rose's mom-I could totally buy her and Williams being related for real. 

And Rod was just awesome. His whole Jeffrey Dahmer rant cracked me up, and I'm glad the movie ended as it did. 

Yeah. I quite liked this. It's definitely one of those films that'll stick with me and leave some lingering thoughts. And I'm even more excited now for Peele's take on "The Twilight Zone" series that's coming out soon. This type of horror/suspense will be just right for that show. 

• Love 9