Type keyword(s) to search

Get Out (2017)

Brn2bwild
  • Start Topic

I saw Get Out this evening, and really enjoyed it.  It was maybe a little overhyped, but is thoroughly entertaining and deeply unnerving on many levels.  The horror comes so naturally from the dread a black man might feel in a white suburb that you wonder why it hasn't been done before.

The acting performances were great.  Daniel Kaluuya was great in the protagonist role.  I wasn't that impressed with him in the Black Mirror episode, but he was very effective here.  Also surprisingly good was Allison Williams.  Her character wasn't that different from Marnie on Girls, but she used it to good effect.  

Spoiler

I really wanted it to turn out that she was truly on Chris's side, but had been hypnotized by her mother into forgetting about each boyfriend after the "transformation," so she would innocently pursue each new relationship never knowing the results.  I suppose that opening scene where she's scrutinizing the doughnuts should have been a clue: she's constantly scouting different types of black men (and some women).

That said, it wasn't a perfect movie.  I thought the reason for the parents' actions was a little hard to swallow. 

Spoiler

If they're so condescending toward black people, why would they want to be transported into a black person's body and live with that person's status?  Did the grandparents just act like they were the household staff now, or was that only a ruse for whenever Rose brought home new victims?  Moreover, it's not as though the bodies were immortal.  They would eventually age and die. 

But it was a lot of fun and really reminded of some grim realities.  In the opening scene, for instance, I half expected a George Zimmerman look-alike to emerge from the car...

Edited by Brn2bwild
  • Love 6

I really liked the movie. Remember that they believed black people were naturally strong and athletic but that whites were more intelligent. So, being in the bodies gave them both things.

I think the grandparents were just pretending for the weekend - a reason to live in the house.

This movie had so much symbolism. Yes, I really liked it.

• Love 11

I'd look askance at any white person who randomly tells a black man that they would have voted for Obama for a third term. That's just so patronizing and condescending. For all you know, the guy could be a Republican. Ditto with the the "how long has this thaaaaang been going on?" 

So I totally wasn't surprised that

the girlfriend was in on it too. She was way too quick with the whole "it would be racist to actually tell them you're black, they won't care" bit. Yes, it shouldn't be a big deal, but still, she was shady.

• Love 9

I really liked the movie. Remember that they believed black people were naturally strong and athletic but that whites were more intelligent. So, being in the bodies gave them both things.

Right, but they also seemed very aware of what the privileges of being white accorded them.  I expected

Spoiler

when they strapped Chris down, their intent was to take the "choice" aspects of his body and put it in the white person, leaving Chris (and black people before him) a hollowed-out shell.

In addition to what I wrote above, I'd hoped if Rose

Spoiler

was going to turn, it would be because, while she sincerely loved Chris, in the end, her liberalism was shallow, and she didn't want to do anything that would require majorly rocking the boat, like giving up the privileged lifestyle her parents' bankrolled by opposing them.  That would be more depressingly true to real life than her love being a calculated performance designed to win Chris's trust.

Edited by Brn2bwild
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Ahhhh......I haven't seen this yet but I'm guessing this isn't some kind of dark comedy, like I thought from watching the previews?  

No it is really a thriller with some comedic moments - very few. Mostly just in conversation. I'd say it is not horror though it has some elements. But it is tbought- provoking no matter the genre, no doubt.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, announcergirl said:

No it is really a thriller with some comedic moments - very few. Mostly just in conversation. I'd say it is not horror though it has some elements. But it is tbought- provoking no matter the genre, no doubt.

Echoing this, its comedy lies in the subtext and tone of dialogue. It has a few jump scares, but this is definitely suspense and more psychological than actual horror. 

The mounting microaggressions throughout the film kept heightening my anxiety ten fold. The film's symbolism is incredibly powerful. This is a really good movie to see with an audience...somewhat of a fascinating social experiment. 

Daniel Kaluuya is a star and he was very nuanced here. Because it's so psychological, the film really hinges on his reactions to others. That first hypnosis scene was stellar work. He has such expressive eyes. I love LaKeith Stanfield. He can do anything and no wrong in my eyes. Allison Williams had the more challenging role here and her casting is inspired. It was the perfect riff of her "Girls" persona, but an even better shedding of it. 

Speaking of her character:

Spoiler

I had an inkling the "twist" with her was coming, but I so badly wanted to root for her to be on his team. Daniel and Allison (with Peele's direction) really sold the crap out of that relationship. They had a really great chemistry. Also, the "keys" scene was sharp work from Allison -- she had to turn at the drop of a dime and she did it with military precision.

Edited by tongueincheek
  • Love 11

Saw Get Out this weekend. I'm a horror fan, and with Peele on board and the 100% on RT, I couldn't miss it. It had the same kind of indie horror vibe to it that made You're Next such an entertaining watch, though the latter had more gore. After a great opening scene, things sort of slowed down a bit before really ramping up at the end, but on the whole, I'd say it was highly effective. It really ramped up the discomfort, both by showing you, through the eyes of the main protagonist Chris (who was black - I'll fess up to it before you meet him), all of the many cringe-worthy interactions with the various white characters. (Side note: I'm white, and part of the discomfort came from the fact that I know I've done the same 'trying too hard and it's weird and uncomfortable but for some reason it just... happens' kinds of things; they feel awkward and weird and horrible when you're inexplicably doing them and even worse to see them in their awkward and weird glory on screen.)

To come back from that digression, there was such a sense that something was wrong that I was just as paranoid and freaked out as Chris, so while the movie isn't action packed for the greatest part of its run-time, it really does a very effective job of building that sense of dread and foreboding. It got to a point where I was almost painfully awaiting the climax of the film just because I needed the coin to finally drop so that I could go back to just plain enjoying some standard horror instead of the ratcheting tension.

I wish they'd done something different with the visualization of the 'sunken place' because it was a little too retro, almost cheesy Twilight Zone for me, which lessened some of the horror, though the actuality of what was happening at the time did counteract that fairly effectively.

In the end, it was pretty effective horror and pretty effective social commentary. Interestingly, at my showing, patrons 

Spoiler

clapped and cheered every time one of the baddies got what was coming to them. I'm of the silent watcher variety of movie-goers, but there was a clear atmosphere of catharsis abounding. If I was a clapper/cheerer, I probably would have joined them because it was hella satisfying.

Even though horror is generally social commentary, take the social commentary out of it and think just about the feel of the film, and I'd say you'd like this if you liked: You're Next, Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, The Burbs (going way back), and possibly even The Cabin the Woods (though for that one, primarily the bits around the Merman scene).

• Love 7
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 0:51 AM, Brn2bwild said:

That said, it wasn't a perfect movie.  I thought the reason for the parents' actions was a little hard to swallow. 

Hide contents

If they're so condescending toward black people, why would they want to be transported into a black person's body and live with that person's status?  Did the grandparents just act like they were the household staff now, or was that only a ruse for whenever Rose brought home new victims?  Moreover, it's not as though the bodies were immortal.  They would eventually age and die.

Since the movie is out now,  not sure we need spoiler tags?    Just in case:

Spoiler

The parents' motivation was not condescending per se, I don't think - it was the reverse.   All the people there thought minorities, African-Americans in particular, were genetically better than they were.  Remember the grandfather was beaten by Jesse Owens.  The comments at the party and so forth.   Where the social commentary comes in is that all the wealthy folks thought they deserved that.   I think the grandparents were just pretending for a cover story.

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 6

Besides the obvious Stepford Wives homage, did anyone else get a real Rosemary's Baby vibe from this movie?

Particularly the party with all the "elderly" friends milling about and eying up Chris like he was the main course at the feast!   (Hah, they were "elderly" when I first saw Rosemary's Baby; now they're more like "my age.")

I think the grandpa was even named "Roman."  As in "Castavet."  Or "Polanski"!

• Love 7
16 hours ago, jcin617 said:

Since the movie is out now,  not sure we need spoiler tags?    Just in case:

Reveal hidden contents

See, to me, that's all about fetishizing the exotic with heavy, heavy dose of ugly call-backs to the days when African-Americans were bought and sold for their physical characteristics. You can probably throw in a history of white folks thinking they can do whatever they want with brown bodies because they don't really value the person inside. You might be right in saying it's not condescending, because it's likely far more toxic than that.

• Love 14
On 2/26/2017 at 7:27 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I'd look askance at any white person who randomly tells a black man that they would have voted for Obama for a third term. That's just so patronizing and condescending. For all you know, the guy could be a Republican. Ditto with the the "how long has this thaaaaang been going on?" 

While I do think the movie is over hyped, that part was pretty believable in a cringingly awkward 'trying to bond with your daughter's boyfriend' sort of way. 

I had much greater problems with the brother character being presented as a cartoonish, drunken banjo playing(!) hillbilly when the family were wealthy educated liberals.

Spoiler

He'd have been far creepier - and more believable given the family mentality - if he had been characterised the same as his sister, a psychopath feigning a facade of progressive civility rather than the overtly racist bruiser we got. How many of Rose's victims has he put needlessly on guard?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, afterbite said:

See, to me, that's all about fetishizing the exotic with heavy, heavy dose of ugly call-backs to the days when African-Americans were bought and sold for their physical characteristics. You can probably throw in a history of white folks thinking they can do whatever they want with brown bodies because they don't really value the person inside. You might be right in saying it's not condescending, because it's likely far more toxic than that.

Oh, I totally agree.   Their particular worldview is more toxic.

Still thinking about this movie -- I've seen it twice now -- the layers here are excellent. For instance, when Rod is dog sitting at Chris's apartment, we can hear the commercials on the TV in the background: the first commercial is one for the United Negro College Fund ("A mind is a terrible thing to waste" -- this slogan was also used in the trailer), followed by a second anti-aging commercial. Genius and subliminal. 

And thinking back as well -- while I feel, in retrospect, that it's not all that subtle -- I can't pinpoint why this didn't connect with me right away: I should've been tipped off that Walter was Grandpa Armitage as soon as that odd evening workout scene took place. The earlier convo between Rose's dad and Chris, discussing how his dad had been beaten by Jesse Owens in sprinting was the seed.

Also the symbolism of the butterfly transformation -- was that a butterfly in the video they made Chris watch when he was strapped to the chair? -- anyway, I perceived that to represent cultural appropriation. Curious what others thought of that imagery. 

Edited by tongueincheek
  • Love 3
Spoiler

Did the grandparents just act like they were the household staff now, or was that only a ruse for whenever Rose brought home new victims?  Moreover, it's not as though the bodies were immortal.  They would eventually age and die. 

Yeah, I'm still having a hard time understanding

Spoiler

the grandma's motivation. Grandpa got to prove he could run as fast if not faster than Jesse Owens but what did Grandma get? Plus it seemed to me like she may have been going senile. It'd be some funny karma to have a taken over a young body but have your mind declining due to natural aging.

I think it'll be interesting to see if this movie gets any Oscar love next year. At the very least I could see Jordan Peele getting a director's nomination.

• Love 2

I was under the impression that 

Spoiler

the grandma wanted to be young again because she kept checking out her reflection in mirrors and windows.  But, I could be wrong.

Speaking of that character, Betty Gabriel might just have been my favorite actor in the movie.  And the movie was full of great performances.  But, her facial expressions were just so haunting.  Scary and also sad because you could see a glimmer of the person she used to be, trapped inside.  Like, she had tears pouring down her face as she was smiling and telling Chris how great life with the Armitages was.

• Love 9
40 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:
  Hide contents

Did the grandparents just act like they were the household staff now, or was that only a ruse for whenever Rose brought home new victims?  Moreover, it's not as though the bodies were immortal.  They would eventually age and die. 

Hide contents

the grandma's motivation. Grandpa got to prove he could run as fast if not faster than Jesse Owens but what did Grandma get? Plus it seemed to me like she may have been going senile. It'd be some funny karma to have a taken over a young body but have your mind declining due to natural aging.

I think it'll be interesting to see if this movie gets any Oscar love next year. At the very least I could see Jordan Peele getting a director's nomination.

I think the grandma got youth. That's why she kept staring at herself - in the mirror, in the glass door. I didn't see signs of senility. I saw her possibly nervous or excited about the weekend's coming event - the tea spilling incident- and the subconscious of the real person whose body she took having moments of breakthrough - the crying, the staring off.

Remember the surgery isn't perfect.

• Love 4
(edited)
51 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

That "Deconstructed Froot Loops" scene alone should garner some kind of awards love. If all of that was on the page, Peele deserves a writing nom; if most of that came from his direction, he deserves some love there too. 

I want to believe Daniel Kaluuya has a chance for some leading actor love somewhere, but that's a much tougher (likely stacked) space and we're only at the end of February. A much easier space to invade, supporting love could very well be given to Allison Williams, Bradley Whitford, Catherine Keener, and dear god if there is one, Betty Gabriel. 

Edited by tongueincheek
  • Love 2

Question about the box in the closet:

Spoiler

Why would it be set there so obviously for Chris to find?  Is it possible the "maid," under the influence of her true self, left it there when she entered the room to unplug his phone, so Chris would know what was about to happen?  Or was the family so confident in their scheme that they could leave that type of evidence lying around and know their scheme would still work? 

I can tell you the minute this movie went from love to like for me, it was when they revealed Bradley Whitford standing in his operating room like some modern day Dr. Frankenstein. It went from a psychological thriller to sci-horror so fast for me.

I think the movie had something interesting to say about race relations in America but didn't want to explicitly say it. When Chris asked Stephen Root why black people and he said "I don't know" the movie lost me. Just say it! A black man/woman goes missing so no one cares? You wanted to recreate the antebellum south? You just don't like black people? I don't think this plot needed that sort of ambiguity, leaving it obvious (these people are clearly deeply racist, etc.) but unsaid doesn't sit right with me.

The movie was beautifully shot (I still can't believe Jordan Peele is the same dude from MADTV during its bad years!) and very well acted regardless.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

Question about the box in the closet:

Hide contents

Why would it be set there so obviously for Chris to find?  Is it possible the "maid," under the influence of her true self, left it there when she entered the room to unplug his phone, so Chris would know what was about to happen?  Or was the family so confident in their scheme that they could leave that type of evidence lying around and know their scheme would still work? 

Good thoughts! That makes sense for her being in the room. 

The cellphone being unplugged so it couldn't charge is one of those small details that's creepy as fuck! Who isn't afraid of needing it and it won't work?

• Love 3

I also noticed that when Rose was snacking on Froot Loops and drinking milk through a straw, those pictures from the box were all on the wall behind her in individual frames. A wall of victims. 

It didn't quite make sense that she would go upstairs, frame all those pics and hang them in the time allotted, but it made for a very creepy visual. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

I also noticed that when Rose was snacking on Froot Loops and drinking milk through a straw, those pictures from the box were all on the wall behind her in individual frames. A wall of victims. 

It didn't quite make sense that she would go upstairs, frame all those pics and hang them in the time allotted, but it made for a very creepy visual. 

Yes! She probably keeps them up until the new one comes!

• Love 3

I don't think there's any question as to the grandmother's motivation. The father explained at the beginning that the black couple was hired to take care of the parents when they became ill, and when they died the family just couldn't let them go. At the time, we didn't know what he meant was that when the grandparents became ill they didn't want to let them go. We're meant to think they didn't want to let the help go, but the help was brought in to keep the grandparents alive. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Pixel said:

I don't think there's any question as to the grandmother's motivation. The father explained at the beginning that the black couple was hired to take care of the parents when they became ill, and when they died the family just couldn't let them go. At the time, we didn't know what he meant was that when the grandparents became ill they didn't want to let them go. We're meant to think they didn't want to let the help go, but the help was brought in to keep the grandparents alive. 

I don't think they were really the help, though.  It was pretty clear from the photos that both were former lovers of Rose.

22 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

I don't think they were really the help, though.  It was pretty clear from the photos that both were former lovers of Rose.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. Still, even if they weren't hired help originally, I do think the grandmother's motivation was simply to live on in a younger body. 

• Love 3

Saw this today-our theater was pretty packed for a matinee. Me and the hubby really liked it, it reminded me of a Alfred Hitchcock slash twilight zone type of movie which they don't really make anymore. I agree the very end got a little too cliche horror, but the movie was still really good and I can't believe the guy from key and peele did this lol. 

I knew from the minute I saw the trailer the girlfriend was in on it, glad to see I was right. Good calls on the connection with grandpa being Walter with the sprinting! I was like, what the...with that scene lol 

my husband totally figured out the twist was that Chris was going to be auctioned off- I was thinking modern day slavery, why pay a servant when you can hypnotize one.  But I don't think anyone guesses about the immortality thing. And I agree about the brother coming off as too hill billish when the parents are so educated.

I read on Wikipedia the original ending was Chris was to be arrested when the cops pulled up while he strangled rose, but that peele changed his mind on it after production started and a lot of media attention focused on police bias with racial discrimination so he wanted the main character to have a happy ending.

i really thought rod was going to be too late and get there only to find Chris be "one of them"

Edited by snickers
  • Love 7
On 2/28/2017 at 8:42 PM, Sweet Tee said:

Like, she had tears pouring down her face as she was smiling and telling Chris how great life with the Armitages was.

And however many times she uttered the word 'no' in that bit, each one was ever so slightly different. So great/disturbing.

I was thinking about how meticulously this was plotted. No holes I could think of, and every moment had at least two ways to look at it. For instance, the moment after the deer hit the car, when Rose is challenging the cop asking for Chris's ID. One, she's performing wokeness for her boyfriend. Two, she's exercising her white privilege in challenging the cop. Three, she's ensuring the cop won't know who Chris is when he inevitably goes missing, thus protecting herself! The first two things are apparent when the scene plays the first time. The third isn't apparent until you've had some time to ponder.

A great movie will have you thinking about it long after you've seen it. This is a great movie, and I suspect it will turn out to be a classic of the genre that people keep referring back to, whether or not they've seen it (like Stepford Wives).

A last little easter egg: Keegan Michael Key is pictured among the 'NCAA Top Prospects' Rose is trawling during the surgery. 

• Love 19

Other cool small details (some I noticed, some I read about later): Chris picking cotton (from the chair) saved his life. The buck's head mounted on the wall. The singing over the opening credits was partly in Swahili, saying "listen to the ancestors, run away". The Japanese guy at the gathering was an homage to the Japanese guy in Rosemary's Baby. The brother with his banjo was a Deliverance detail, and other movies given a nod were The Stepford Wives, The Shining, and maybe Halloween. It's possible that when Rose's brother put Chris in the choke hold, it was a reference to Radio Raheem's death by that same police choke hold in Do the Right Thing, but then again that used to be a depressingly common tactic with the police.

Edited by Violet Impulse
formatting
  • Love 10

I just came from seeing this. It was waay better than I expected. I really got into it as did everyone in the theater (which was nearly full). You could hear the murmuring and chatter when the white folks were making those racially insensitive comments. Of course, there was the laughter at Chris' friend warning him correctly about the hypnosis, the cops' reaction to his story, and his cussing out Rose. Hilarious. When he showed up at the end, everyone was cheering and clapping. I have to say that I was surprised at the surgery and that the white folks were transplanting their brains into the black people they abducted. I thought it was just hypnosis. The score was excellent at ratcheting up the tension and horror. There was a lot of gasping, eeks, muttering, and hysterical laughter (me). I along with everyone cringed and cheered at the villains getting theirs, so brutal. No sympathy here.

Kudos to Peele!

Forgot to add: Sex slaves! Fun movie.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8

I've already started hearing hat-tips to the movie in the real world, with mentions of 'the sunken place' and 'stirring tea' without any other identifying information, under the assumption that we get the reference. That is what happens with classics.

• Love 19
4 hours ago, attica said:

I've already started hearing hat-tips to the movie in the real world, with mentions of 'the sunken place' and 'stirring tea' without any other identifying information, under the assumption that we get the reference. That is what happens with classics.

I thought this was in really poor taste, but I saw a "Get Out" prom proposal circulating on Twitter of an African-American guy asking a white girl to prom. 

On 3/13/2017 at 3:32 PM, Violet Impulse said:

Other cool small details (some I noticed, some I read about later): Chris picking cotton (from the chair) saved his life. The buck's head mounted on the wall. The singing over the opening credits was partly in Swahili, saying "listen to the ancestors, run away". The Japanese guy at the gathering was an homage to the Japanese guy in Rosemary's Baby. The brother with his banjo was a Deliverance detail, and other movies given a nod were The Stepford Wives, The Shining, and maybe Halloween. It's possible that when Rose's brother put Chris in the choke hold, it was a reference to Radio Raheem's death by that same police choke hold in Do the Right Thing, but then again that used to be a depressingly common tactic with the police.

Still is a tactic. See: Eric Garner.

I finally saw this and oh my God, as a Black woman who has been the only one in the room many times and speaks fluent well-meaning white liberal, the rich white people party was so dead on. The only thing that would have been better would be to throw in a few "you're so articulates" and "you speak so wells." Gene Demby, a brother who hosts the NPR podcast Code Switch, said that everything that happens in the first 2/3 of the movie has happened to him, and I think many POCs can say the same. Racism - and I think well-meaning white liberal micro-aggressions in particular- have a way of making you feel crazy - "do y'all not see this? Or hear yourselves?" It is EXHAUSTING. And I thought the movie captured that beautifully. It also captured the "go along to get along" tactic that we have to adopt - I would literally never leave the house if I were going to get hung up on every little micro-aggression or suspect look. You learn to let stuff go. Chris constantly assuring Rose that everything was ok was part of that. Even if the family hadn't been, you know, evil, he would have to let a lot of shit go in order to survive (yes, survive) in that setting.

(I'd have checked the woman who asked "Is it better?" though. Bitch, you are asking about my sex life. I don't know you, fall back. I also would have checked the man who said black was in fashion. The Tiger Woods & Obama stuff, I could let slide.)

• Love 21

I finally got around to see it.

I do think Rose definitely felt tailor-made for Alison Williams. There's a stilted, robotic vibe to her that even when she's smiling and being charming, it doesn't quite feel natural. I came in spoiled but AW did a great job at seeming to be sincere until ripping off her mask. I did note that the "real" Rose seemed to prefer her hair conservatively tied up and plain white blouses instead of her generic hip city gal look. How crazy when you realize that Rose seems to reward herself for a job by watching Dirty Dancing and ritualistically eating Fruit Loops. (She probably does have to be fanatic about how she eats, because Rose's looks are a big part of the victim recruitment.)

The vibe I got with Jeremy is that he wanted Chris's body for himself. The way the guy checked over his body and told him how incredibly he'd be at cage fighting or whatever, as well as the disappointed look he got when someone "won" the auction was interesting. I didn't pick up on this while watching the movie, but that was his white car that stalked Andre/Logan at the beginning. (Which would tie in to the remark about how Jeremy's procurement process is a lot rougher. I guess he doesn't try to seduce black dudes. LOL.)

I did leave this wondering how many victims there have been (it sounds like they have been doing this since at least the 90's) and if they've all been black. I'm guessing a big part of the procurement process seems to be vetting out people who are physically gifted in some way, and I'm betting they also prefer people that don't have any family. Then again, it seemed like they WERE picking people that were high-profile in some kind of way, so that didn't quite jibe with what they were doing.

• Love 6
On 2/27/2017 at 2:31 AM, tongueincheek said:

Echoing this, its comedy lies in the subtext and tone of dialogue. It has a few jump scares, but this is definitely suspense and more psychological than actual horror. 

The mounting microaggressions throughout the film kept heightening my anxiety ten fold. The film's symbolism is incredibly powerful. This is a really good movie to see with an audience...somewhat of a fascinating social experiment. 

On 2/27/2017 at 11:13 AM, afterbite said:

Saw Get Out this weekend. I'm a horror fan, and with Peele on board and the 100% on RT, I couldn't miss it. It had the same kind of indie horror vibe to it that made You're Next such an entertaining watch, though the latter had more gore. After a great opening scene, things sort of slowed down a bit before really ramping up at the end, but on the whole, I'd say it was highly effective. It really ramped up the discomfort, both by showing you, through the eyes of the main protagonist Chris (who was black - I'll fess up to it before you meet him), all of the many cringe-worthy interactions with the various white characters. (Side note: I'm white, and part of the discomfort came from the fact that I know I've done the same 'trying too hard and it's weird and uncomfortable but for some reason it just... happens' kinds of things; they feel awkward and weird and horrible when you're inexplicably doing them and even worse to see them in their awkward and weird glory on screen.)

To come back from that digression, there was such a sense that something was wrong that I was just as paranoid and freaked out as Chris, so while the movie isn't action packed for the greatest part of its run-time, it really does a very effective job of building that sense of dread and foreboding. It got to a point where I was almost painfully awaiting the climax of the film just because I needed the coin to finally drop so that I could go back to just plain enjoying some standard horror instead of the ratcheting tension.

I wish they'd done something different with the visualization of the 'sunken place' because it was a little too retro, almost cheesy Twilight Zone for me, which lessened some of the horror, though the actuality of what was happening at the time did counteract that fairly effectively.

In the end, it was pretty effective horror and pretty effective social commentary. Interestingly, at my showing, patrons 

Hide contents

clapped and cheered every time one of the baddies got what was coming to them. I'm of the silent watcher variety of movie-goers, but there was a clear atmosphere of catharsis abounding. If I was a clapper/cheerer, I probably would have joined them because it was hella satisfying.

Even though horror is generally social commentary, take the social commentary out of it and think just about the feel of the film, and I'd say you'd like this if you liked: You're Next, Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, The Burbs (going way back), and possibly even The Cabin the Woods (though for that one, primarily the bits around the Merman scene).

The tension was fantastic.

On 3/1/2017 at 11:48 AM, announcergirl said:

Good thoughts! That makes sense for her being in the room. 

The cellphone being unplugged so it couldn't charge is one of those small details that's creepy as fuck! Who isn't afraid of needing it and it won't work?

^^This is one of my greatest fears. I'm paranoid about having my phone charged. This movie did not help with the paranoia. 

On 3/18/2017 at 9:45 PM, SimoneS said:

I just came from seeing this. It was waay better than I expected. I really got into it as did everyone in the theater (which was nearly full). You could hear the murmuring and chatter when the white folks were making those racially insensitive comments. Of course, there was the laughter at Chris' friend warning him correctly about the hypnosis, the cops' reaction to his story, and his cussing out Rose. Hilarious. When he showed up at the end, everyone was cheering and clapping. I have to say that I was surprised at the surgery and that the white folks were transplanting their brains into the black people they abducted. I thought it was just hypnosis. The score was excellent at ratcheting up the tension and horror. There was a lot of gasping, eeks, muttering, and hysterical laughter (me). I along with everyone cringed and cheered at the villains getting theirs, so brutal. No sympathy here.

Kudos to Peele!

Forgot to add: Sex slaves! Fun movie.

I just saw it tonight and agree with all the posts above about seeing it with an audience. Ours had maybe 30 people maximum but it was still great. There was clapping when Rod shows up at the end. I don't think I've ever been so relived to see someone as I was to see Rod, lol. My heart was pounding for Chris to make it and got so scared when the car pulled up.

The scene with "Bingo" was truly chilling; so casually sitting there bidding on someone. The fact that there was no dialogue was great, the visual of it was horrifying.  I also was hoping that Rose herself was under hypnosis and didn't realize what was happening, but women is a cold one sitting there looking for her next victim.

Great performances by everyone.

• Love 5
On 3/29/2017 at 2:07 AM, methodwriter85 said:

The vibe I got with Jeremy is that he wanted Chris's body for himself. The way the guy checked over his body and told him how incredibly he'd be at cage fighting or whatever, as well as the disappointed look he got when someone "won" the auction was interesting. I didn't pick up on this while watching the movie, but that was his white car that stalked Andre/Logan at the beginning. (Which would tie in to the remark about how Jeremy's procurement process is a lot rougher. I guess he doesn't try to seduce black dudes. LOL.)

That was definitely my impression too; I was surprised that he just turned out to be the dad's assistant rather than having a terminal disease or somesuch and wanting a new body himself.

I didn't recognize Andre as the same person from the start of the film. In fact, Lakeith Stanfield looked so much like Dave Chappelle in the garden party scene that I said to myself "Oh no, Conspiracy Brother, they got you too!"

• Love 10

Here we are 6 and a half weeks after the release and the theatre I was in last night was FULL. Now it's down to only 2 theatres and it was a Tuesday show, but still. That's incredible.

What I love about the movie is the more you think about it the more it reveals. After the movie. I mentioned to my friend that we should line up some golf soon, and as I did my faux golf swing it made me think back to the "former professional golfer" at the party expressing an incredibly keen interest in whether Chris had played golf and mentioning how if he practiced he was sure he would be quite good. It's when it really hit home about how the point of the "party" of the afternoon was to assess what they were going to be bidding on. Which makes the questions about it being "better" even the more creepy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the grandparents did the maintenance around the house at it wasn't just for show. They come from a generation that valued that work, and really valued the younger bodies. A small price to pay for their sustained youth.

• Love 7

While the movie it took things to an absurd level, I think its a fair portrayal of the underlying subtle racism and subconscious things that happen or that we all do that are either based on underlying fear and/or misunderstanding or can be misconstrued as such an action or statement in the wrong context. 

Also is a succinct view of how many of us view others can end up viewing others of another race.  We can admire them for their positive qualities such as athletic prowess, artistic ability, etc that we wish we could obtain but to actually treat them as an equal just for the fact we are all human beings can still be a struggle.

Then there is also the idea that those pointing out racism are often laughed at as being outlandish or absurd, much like his friend was, even by the other African American officers, despite that fact what he was claiming was almost true. 

Its a very original story and well crafted while at the same time provoking some real discussion of what happens when such a class or races up close and personal occurs.  I enjoyed the movie. 

One thing I wondered though, why did she basically lie to him and tell him her family was not aware he was African American?  They obviously knew and that was the least of her lies, but I am still wondering what advantage that was to leave him with that impression, that they didn't know about his ethnicity.  Was it just to make him more uneasy and more paranoid about everything knowing it was going to be a bit of a clash from the beginning?

• Love 4

Finally saw this movie and loved it. The first "meet the parents " bit and first dinner were so well done/so uncomfortable,  and exactly how awkwardly I and my white family would behave.  I also have an alcoholic brother,  and so I was lulled into thinking that Rose and her parents were trying to smooth over his aggressive drunken questions because I've spent lots of family events in that kind of situation.  I was jarred by Dean and Missy 's immediate attitude toward Chris's smoking just because he was a total stranger, but I later realized that they wanted his body healthy, and that Missy needed personal things to exploit in order to hypnotize him asap.

I  also completely thought Walter,  Georgina and Logan were all hypnotized instead of operated on, because of Georgina 's crying being so like Chris during his "session", and because after Logan was hit with the flash, I thought Missy was putting him under again.

Other tiny things I appreciated:

-the Armitage house had a porch with several rocking chairs on it, which made me think of a plantation and also, Cracker Barrel restaurants. 

- the garden party and the auction horror juxtaposed with the Kentucky Derby-style atmosphere,  dress, and drinks.  Nice subtle nod to the animal symbolism.

- the not-quite-dead characters,  always a must in a horror movie.

- that real Rose had brown eyes and Loving Girlfriend Rose had "innocent" blue eyes. 

Edited by moonb
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, moonb said:

- that real Rose had brown eyes and Loving Girlfriend Rose had "innocent" blue eyes. 

Wow, I didn't even notice that. I did notice that as soon as the act dropped, she pulled her hair up into a ponytail because "alluring pretty girls" always have to wear their hair down.

Allison Williams is pretty limited, but you really couldn't have asked for a better part for her to play. And she did a great job with differentiating the Real Rose and HoneyPot Rose.

• Love 9

Yes, I definitely don't think a lot of the role was that much of a stretch for Williams. Trying just a little too hard to seem something she's not (Rose: empathetic, Williams: Average, run-of-the-mill person) and complicit with their family's misconducts, while trying to appear as though she isn't.

Though I will admit that "light-switch" to evil Rose with the keys was well done, as was the scene on the bed.

• Love 3

Well, this was great. Even before it went full horror-movie-style it was just so uncomfortable.

I didn't figure out the real twist on what they wanted Chris and the others for until they properly revealed it - like others have said, I really thought they were "just" hypnotising them into being their servants in whatever way they wanted them to be. I was with Rod, I thought "Ewww, sex slave!" when poor Andre-as-Logan was spinning around in front of that admiring crowd. (I do hope they got Andre out in the end, too.) But all those awkward interactions at the party made so much sense when you realised - the guy talking about golf and asking to see Chris' form, the lady with the elderly feeble husband ogling the hell out of him...

When Jeremy went to pick Chris up in the wheelchair I was actually wondering if he was going to end up helping him, and that his gross behaviour might have been some sort of attempt to warn Chris and scare him off before it got that far, because it seemed weird that he would be so much less subtle than the rest of the family. But no, I guess he he really just was that unhinged.

It was a nice touch that dad Armitage mentioned that Jeremy was studying medicine just like his old man, because they would need to always pass the torch on so that someone would be able to actually perform the procedure. I wonder if the slight robotic-ness of the ones we saw was down to some sort of struggle to control the body, or if the people who'd taken over the bodies just were bad at acting normal.

• Love 3

Probably a mix of the two. When interacting with Chris they were pretending to be completely different people, whereas I'd imagine they just acted like themselves around their kids and grandkids, and they weren't supposed to be professional actors. But we did see with Grandma Armitage's uncontrolled crying that the real Georgina had some influence over their shared body even when the transplanted consciousness was firmly in control.

• Love 4

I loved this movie! I've been pretty lucky in that I can count on one hand (at least from what I can remember) the number of micro-agressions I've experienced. And this movie effectively conveyed what it's like. 

I love that this movie kept me guessing thought I just knew Rose was in on it. She forgot the party was that weekend? Like mom said, it's the same time every year. What confirmed it for me was when they were at the lake and she was more mad he was leaving or leaving w/o her (can't remember which right now) and I was like, "She should be like let's go now!" Not crying and being selfish as hell. I think Rose being in on it was a great example of the white person who acts like they down for the cause/woke/a friend and they are not. Not in the least. 

I need to see this again because you guys have given me some answer to questions I had and there's stuff I definitely missed. 

Having been a big fan of Key and Peele's show, on the one hand, I can believe made this. On the other hand, I can't believe it. 

• Love 3