Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E13: Trial By Fire

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

The Yucatan Peninsula is the setting for a challenge to cook a dish showcasing the local habanero. Later, the chefs learn about traditional Maya cooking, then they create a dish using only ancient Maya ingredients and tools. Appearing: Jeremiah Tower; Roberto Munoz Zurita; Roberto Solis; and Guillermo Beristain.

Once Shirley won, I figured Sheldon was a goner. I'm so sad that he's out, especially because now the conspiracy theories about the fix being in for Brooke will continue. Man, that was dumb of him not to test the fish. I don't care who wins now.

• Love 22
1 minute ago, aquarian1 said:

I think this is my favorite top 3.  (I could be wrong).  I just like these 3 so much, it was going to be hard seeing any of them eliminated.

It was a really talented top three and I find them all pretty likeable. This may be the first time I don't actively dislike a finalist. But Sheldon was my favorite of the three by far.

• Love 15

I'm not a fan of bringing someone back who was already kicked off. Brooke already lost, to me. So, I was very disappointed to see Sheldon go. Not because I Iike him so much although he's been very likeable throughout this season, but because someone who was brought back after losing pushed him out. In any event, I really like Shirley and I hope she wins. No one owes Brooke this ... Tom.

• Love 14

I have no interest in the finale.  Shirley earned her spot, but I just can't accept that bland beat out fish that got stuck on the grill. People get bounced all the time on this show for lack of salt.   Brooke's dish was described as bland.   Brooke's going to win.  I liked her but tonight she seemed smug & fuck....Go Shirley.

• Love 24

Congratulations to Shirley and Brooke!

Sheldon was probably kicking himself. I think he could have survived his food being super hot, but for an experienced chef, especially with seafood, what a newbie mistake to make in not testing the fish out on the grill.

This is the first episode where, to me, Brooke's edit had her appear to be expecting to go to the finals. No Plan B? What a wakeup call for her (and she still had the best fish dish).

So happy for Shirley. She just did her job and dealt with whatever happened. Really funny when Tom mentioned there always seems to have some sort of connection between her ethnicity and the food she makes, and then she pulls out a connection between the Mayan food and her ethnicity (although I didn't quite catch what she said it was)

Nordly Beaumont wrote:

I couldn't believe he specifically said he watched Shirley and Brooke to see what they did with their fish - but then he didn't wrap it. He should have figured there was a reason they both wrapped it.

I think he was watching what they did so he could do something different. They wrapped their fish, so he chose not to. Bad choice in retrospect.

Edited by JeanneH
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

but then he didn't wrap it. He should have figured there was a reason they both wrapped it.

Exactly what I wrote down.  I wonder if he could have smoked it in some way instead, if he didn't want to be just like them.  I am indeed bummed he is gone, but I betcha he'll be back for the next All Stars season.  He's so very talented and a great guy.  I'll miss him.  I'm torn on who I want to see win now.  I'd feel awful for Brooke to come in second twice, but Shirley is really stepping up.  I was mega impressed with how she tailored her dish this challenge.  I was also impressed with her pepper therapy for waking up.  I might have to try that.  I've not cared for habanero before, but maybe I haven't had it prepared correctly, which can be said for a lot of things. 

Notes on Padma.....stuff your fake tears, lady.  What was that hair?  And WTF was that unflattering, powder blue, high waisted dress thing?  Why doesn't she just go topless?  Oy.

Back to the show..I was originally mad at the Mayan thing, b/c I felt like the last place to have that type of challenge was top three, I want to see what they can do!  But then they leveled it out with the ingredients and they had more to work with than I thought, so ok.  I LOVED this history/local tour and lesson that the chefs got.  What a priceless experience.   I learned, too, and I adore that when watching a show. I know Mexico gets shit on a lot for being a dump, but obviously there are some beautiful parts.  Loud birds though. 

I hope Sheldon gets fan fav next week.  And on a totally shallow note, Brooke and Shirley had really cute swimsuits.  Yes, I can be jealous.  Did I mention shallow, too?

• Love 8

Nooooooooo!!!!  Poor Sheldon.  What a shame.  Mangled protein is the kiss of death.  It is almost as if he was just too chill and positive to be worried about the fish on the open flame (to his heartbreaking detriment).   Super sad to see him go.

I am pleased that Shirley made it into the final.  Brooke's inability to really roll with the punches and improvise makes her the weaker chef in my mind.  I guess we'll see next week.

I run hot and cold re Padama but her appearance was really distracting tonight. I don't know what was worse, the hideous cornrows for the quickfire or the threads that were holding up her inappropriately over exposed breasts at the elimination challenge.  

• Love 23
23 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

I'm not a fan of bringing someone back who was already kicked off. Brooke already lost, to me. So, I was very disappointed to see Sheldon go. Not because I Iike him so much although he's been very likeable throughout this season, but because someone who was brought back after losing pushed him out. In any event, I really like Shirley and I hope she wins. No one owes Brooke this ... Tom.

Sheldon lost, too. They all did. Maybe I am missing your point.  :) 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, sourpickles said:

Exactly what I wrote down.  I wonder if he could have smoked it in some way instead, if he didn't want to be just like them.  I am indeed bummed he is gone, but I betcha he'll be back for the next All Stars season.  He's so very talented and a great guy.  I'll miss him.  I'm torn on who I want to see win now.  I'd feel awful for Brooke to come in second twice, but Shirley is really stepping up.  I was mega impressed with how she tailored her dish this challenge.  I was also impressed with her pepper therapy for waking up.  I might have to try that.  I've not cared for habanero before, but maybe I haven't had it prepared correctly, which can be said for a lot of things. 

Notes on Padma.....stuff your fake tears, lady.  What was that hair?  And WTF was that unflattering, powder blue, high waisted dress thing?  Why doesn't she just go topless?  Oy.

Back to the show..I was originally mad at the Mayan thing, b/c I felt like the last place to have that type of challenge was top three, I want to see what they can do!  But then they leveled it out with the ingredients and they had more to work with than I thought, so ok.  I LOVED this history/local tour and lesson that the chefs got.  What a priceless experience.   I learned, too, and I adore that when watching a show. I know Mexico gets shit on a lot for being a dump, but obviously there are some beautiful parts.  Loud birds though. 

I hope Sheldon gets fan fav next week.  And on a totally shallow note, Brooke and Shirley had really cute swimsuits.  Yes, I can be jealous.  Did I mention shallow, too?

Please, let me assure you, Mexico is NOT a dump.  It is FABULOUS!  Mexico is most definitely a First World Country.  High Speed Internet, great roads, high end cuisine (and amazing street food, and DD&D), friendly locals, etc.  Unfortunately, there is still huge income inequality, the rich are SUPER rich, and the poor are very poor....but not nearly so much as the rest of Central America's poor.  The culture and cuisine is amazing and varied.  Last but not least, of course, is the drug culture has overrun the country, for now, and it is not safe.  I wouldn't go there, now, without a production company and bodyguards.  It's the drugs.    Columbia conquered the drug culture, it's my sincerest hope that Mexico gets there as well, and fast!  It's one of the most amazing places in the world.

This was the most AWFUL final ever, from the point of a favorite chef.  I loved them all, and the best thing about the episode is that WE fans didn't have to judge it impartially.  A strange challenge to be sure, but what better mark of a GREAT chef than cooking something with which one is unfamiliar?  Excited for the grand finale.  And sad that another season is in the books. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Sheldon lost, too. They all did. Maybe I am missing your point.  :) 

Brooke lost in *this* competition. She got back into it through that whole "Last Chance Kitchen" thing which I dislike. Once you're out, you should be out.

Yes, they all lost in their previous seasons. Brooke was also already booted once in this season. I think that was the point.

Right, she lost in her previous season (like they all did) *and* she lost in this season.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

What's wrong with Padma's cornrows?

Not a thing, except they were not very flattering.  Yucatan in July?  About 100 degrees in the shade...so cornrows.  Personally, I'd have chosen a girl-bun on top, and a hat with  a huge brim.  But, I'm blonde.....so that's my default!

• Love 2

That was not an inspired challenge and not fun to watch.  I love seeing them cook without extreme conditions and excited about their dish.  I did t want to taste anything!  That never happens. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, Blonde Gator said:

Please, let me assure you, Mexico is NOT a dump.  It is FABULOUS! 

I'm sure it has its good points, and its bad, just like we here in the US do.  It is a matter of educating yourself on where to go, etc.  TC has gone here before and it has looked great.  I think that TC did an excellent job of showing off the local flavors on location.  I've enjoyed this whole season, more or less, and I'm going to be bummed in a week, but at least I'll be looking fwd. to the next season with less dread.........

• Love 1

Boo.  I really wanted Sheldon to win.  But his fish did look unappetizing, and disrespecting the protein is a huge no-no.  I think I want Shirley to win, because I got tired of hearing Brooke whine about no onions or acid.  She is way too much in her own head, although I guess that helped her as far as testing her fish on the grill before she served it.

I am not a beach person, but even I have to say that the resort looked like a great place to stay.  I can't decide if I liked the bar in the water, or the bar on the beach with the swings.  Still don't like the egregious product placement, though.  My favorite part of the episode was at the market.  All the vegetables looked so fresh and delicious.  Yum!

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, weightyghost said:

The one thing that has always bugged me about this show is that the protein outweighs everything. Sheldon had flavour, good sides, good heat, met the challenge but messed up the fish. Brooke cooked her fish right, but had no flavour, bland sides, nothing of the culture. And yet he goes home? Sure. I dont see how that works, if I go out to dinner and the chef screwed up 80% of my plate but my meat happened to taste good, why would I reward that? 

The way they kept commenting about it, I think Sheldon may have gone home because he didn't follow Chef 101 - he didn't test the protein on the grill.

• Love 3

I really enjoyed tonight's show, and especially appreciated Brooke's reflection about how Top Chef is something she does for herself, for her personal growth. Every time I hear some contestant talk about "doing this for my daughter" or "making my son proud," I want to run amok. Brooke has her head on straight. I love that about her. 

Aaaaaand I'm simultaneously sad about losing Sheldon. Favorite top three ever, maybe. 

• Love 21

I was sad to see Sheldon go, but I'm sure he'll win fan favorite. It's not the same thing but he's already won at least $10K and another $10K would make a nice little windfall.

I knew he was a goner when one of the judges noted that Brooke testing the fish on the grill showed "thinking like a chef."

Just to the Mexico safe/unsafe issue: I went to the Mayan Riviera in 2009 and was close to Xcaret and Playa del Carmen. The Mayan Riviera is really beautiful and we never felt unsafe during our stay (we had a car and drove around quite a bit). The locals were very friendly. I'd like to think that much hasn't changed and that it's still the lovely, welcoming place I saw.

• Love 10

It was a great penultimate episode.  Well worth watching.  It was fun listening to them try to work through the challenge.  No one got booted for something in the challenge that made it more difficult for them.   

Sheldon watched both Brooke and Shirley wrap their fish.  Both Brooke and Shirley realized the pit fire was probably not going to be hot enough to crisp the skin.  Watching Brooke do the test fish, and realize that she would have to go the steamed route was a nice way to see her thinking on her feet.  

An excellent episode without the childish drama.  

ETA:  This was probably the second strongest group of finalist in Top Chef history.  The first being the Las Vegas season.  I like all three of them.  Was so excited for Shirley when she talked about how being a finalist might help her family see that she is really good at what she does.

Edited by JES004
Added a thought
  • Love 15

...Sheldon :(

20 minutes ago, little black cloud said:

I really enjoyed tonight's show, and especially appreciated Brooke's reflection about how Top Chef is something she does for herself, for her personal growth. Every time I hear some contestant talk about "doing this for my daughter" or "making my son proud," I want to run amok. Brooke has her head on straight. I love that about her. 

Aaaaaand I'm simultaneously sad about losing Sheldon. Favorite top three ever, maybe. 

Well, she said that today, but I still feel like she's done a whole lot of talking about her son. (Maybe moreso in her previous season, but either way, she's not immune to it.)

• Love 3

Aww!!! Say it isn't so! Not my Sheldon....

In fairness, that fish was TORE UP! I guess they didn't have onions, garlic, limes or oil? Was it that the Mayans wouldn't have had access to these things? Or was the grill just not at the right temperature? I thought Sheldon had been looking nervous & out-of-sorts the last few episodes, making uncharacteristic mistakes. I expect someone who grew up on an island to know how to grill a fish. I loved the idea of cooking it whole, but the execution was clearly a disaster. 

Just think, if he had cooked that fish right, he'd be in the finale right now....

Damn!

• Love 4

I actually cried. I assumed Sheldon would win and it was a question of who'd be with him. He may be my favorite cheftestant ever. Shirley and Brooke are excellent and well deserving, but it's not the same. 

• Love 22
47 minutes ago, weightyghost said:

The one thing that has always bugged me about this show is that the protein outweighs everything. Sheldon had flavour, good sides, good heat, met the challenge but messed up the fish. Brooke cooked her fish right, but had no flavour, bland sides, nothing of the culture. And yet he goes home? Sure. I dont see how that works, if I go out to dinner and the chef screwed up 80% of my plate but my meat happened to taste good, why would I reward that? 

I keep hearing this same BS; what's so wrong with people seasoning their own food at the table? When did that become taboo in fine dining? ;-) (my homage)

• Love 1

I actually thought Brooke was going home because she pretty much had the same story line as the first time she went home: sad looking talking head, uncomfortable challenge, too many things on the plate, not very excited about dish...I was really hoping for Shirley/Sheldon...It seems to me that Brooke doesn't learn from her mistakes too well, she essentially made the same mistakes in the Trash Fish challenge and final Charleston challenge...

• Love 4

I run hot and cold re Padama but her appearance was really distracting tonight. I don't know what was worse, the hideous cornrows for the quickfire or the threads that were holding up her inappropriately over exposed breasts at the elimination challenge.  

I hope the issue of hideousness on the cornrows was a factor specific to the way they looked on Padma?  While I don't expect everyone to like the style of cornrows they are a cultural specific style.  I was taken aback seeing her pop up suddenly with the style with no good reason and am offended by the embarrassing misappropriation. 

• Love 4

I knew, enjoying all three as I do as both chefs and people, I was going to be sad to lose whoever came in third today, but saying good-bye to Sheldon was sad.  Best final three in many moons, and now best final two (watching people lose their shit if Brooke wins would certainly be a bonus since I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theory, but I'm happy with either one).  Great competitors, and great to finally have two women in the final again.  All three came so close their first time around, and knocked on the door again, however it ultimately turns out; kudos to all three establishing themselves as among the best of the best.  And, as always, I love hearing them speak of each other with such respect.  Plus that they seem to enjoy each other.

Yikes, the judges trying to look for reasons to excuse Sheldon his mistakes; I knew it was an "everyone put out great dishes, and we'll have to nitpick" decision scenario, as it should be at this point.  I figured he was the one to go.  I loved Brooke's desire that she get to cook with Sheldon in the finale - with no disrespect to Shirley, just past history coming to life - but got the sense it would be Brooke v. Shirley.   When Shirley realized it was her versus one of the other two - what a great moment.

I grow habanero peppers in my garden - one plant only; it's plenty! - so I enjoyed the QF.  I feel for them having a language barrier while shopping for ingredients, but if you want cheese and can't even eke out "queso?" I'm not terribly sympathetic.  And anyone having a heavy hand with a pepper even most non-chefs know is crazy hot?  Good challenge.

But I'm with the cheftestants in saying that for an Elimination Challenge at this stage of the competition to have a gimmick like "only what the Mayans would have had access to" is ridiculous.  Granted, it's quite interesting to see how they respond, but I just don't favor that type of restriction in the semi-finals.

Brooke had the best fish of the night, and Sheldon beat the hell out of his, so I'm good with the call (and love that the two chefs had such good grasps on where they went wrong).  But I'm sad to see him go, as I would have been with any of them.  Such a lovely finale.  I appreciated everyone's emotion -- the judges making the close call, Shirley and Brooke realizing they emerged as the top two of a powerful final three, and Sheldon learning he came up short again but having accomplished so much.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 19

I got the impression that Sheldon thought if he grilled the fish with skin on, that he could just pull the filets off the skin whole, and that only the skin would stick.  But it looked like even the insides of the fish stuck during cooking.  He saw that Brook had tested just the filet, and Shirley hadn't tested at all.  Also I think some of the guests thought his sauce was too hot.

It would have been nicer if Brooke had said she'd be honored to be in the finale with either Sheldon or Shirley, but it would be extra special with Sheldon.  Instead she made it clear she would be, then was, heartbroken to see Sheldon not make it.  When there are several contestants, no harm in hoping one of the others make it.  When there are only two, then you're clearly rooting against one of them.

I've always liked Shirley so am happy to see her go the finale.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Jamie Satyr said:

I keep hearing this same BS; what's so wrong with people seasoning their own food at the table? When did that become taboo in fine dining? ;-) (my homage)

There are quite a few things that simply will not take seasoning at the table the same way they do throughout cooking. You MUST season each ingredient individually as it is added to develop the "layers of flavor" they're talking about. A good example is seasoning protein. If you season a steak with the same amount of salt before/during cooking or only at the table, the one completely unseasoned during cooking but seasoned at the end will NEVER taste as seasoned thoroughly, through and through, as the one properly seasoned all along. It is simply impossible to achieve the same results by seasoning only or even just primarily at the table. 

• Love 7

I really didn't like the challenge. It just didn't work for me. I knew what they were going for, but the conditions seemed overly forced IMO.

I also thought it was the most telegraphed  episode of Top Chef I've seen. I knew who 1-2-3 was before before any discussion at Judges' table. That one judge who did the overly dramatic "It ruined my whole experience" about Sheldon's dish made me laugh because it was so over the top, but yeah there was no coming back from that.

I like all three. Brooke is my favorite because her low key competence and drama-free professionalism stands out and appeals me to me.   I also chuckled at her "Wait? He lives here?!?".  They didn't have to show that, but it was a cute little snippet.

I felt bad for Sheldon, but with not wrapping the fish after observing both Shirley and Brooke and mistaking the tamale for cheese earlier, I thought it was clear he could get sloppy on the finer details.

Team Brooke all the way!

Edited by vb68
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, KenyaJ said:

All three chefs are deserving. But now that Shelden's gone, I'm all out of desire to watch the finale.

I knew I would hurt a little for any one of them going home and I did. Maybe a little more than I thought because it was Sheldon.  

Was it me or did it seem that the ladies might have prepared a little more for these challenges?  I don't know.  It might be the disappointment talking. 

I find it interesting that I think I could insert Brooke or Shirley's name for Sheldon and this post would still apply. Well except for 'the ladies' comment.  :D

Brooke picked the mildest pepper and covered it up with fruit (the guy asked "is this pineapple??") and she wins, in spite of the massive praise they gave Shirley for her mix of flavors. I thought it was Shirley's dish that would win.... but no, Brooke gets another QF.

Brooke's dish is bland, again. Poor Sheldon should have wrapped his fish, so I can't fault him not winning. But his flavors were the best of anyone there. How many times have we seen someone move on, in spite of messing up something?

Every time Brooke opened her mouth, it was "Four years ago....." Enough already. I hope Shirley wins just because I hate Brooke constantly reminding the world that she lost 4 years ago.

• Love 14

It looks like this is going to be one evenly split finale, both here on PTV and on TC itself.  I have to admit, I'm dying to find out.  I had to laugh though, unless something went over my head, I've been seeing a commercial for days about "those four little words every chef wants to hear........You are Top Chef" and then it looks like next week Padma says...."The winner of Top Chef is......".  So not true then, Bravo? 

The problem with the cornrows on Padma was that they pulled her eyes up.  It made her look constantly staring and surprised.  And paired with that dress, she simply looked awful.  It was shocking, considering how gorgeous she is.

Poor Sheldon.  Always a bridesmaid :(