Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E13: Trial By Fire

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

The other day (or week) we were chatting a bit about how the returnees might receive compensation to return to TC.

Just out of curiousity....maybe prizes - cash or trip, etc, that are won gets deducted from that compensation agreed upon prior to returning.  I guess I'm trying to say is the max they can win is the 125G's etc and everything else would go by the wayside.  

ETA:  Seems like a Bravo move to me.   Or maybe everything is just the way it is and the deemed winners are truly the winners of each QF/elimination challenge and even the title of TC and Ellee is more disappointed that Sheldon's out than she thought she would be.   I don't know.

Edited by Ellee

I am so rooting for Shirley now.

Sheldon really should have thought about why Brooke and Shirley weren't cooking directly on the grill.  They're not idiots and as chefs they all know there's nothing the judges like more than a nice crispy piece of fish skin with the filet. So if Brooke and Shirley weren't doing that, surely Sheldon ought to have questioned why before he put that fish on the grill.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

But I'm with the cheftestants in saying that for an Elimination Challenge at this stage of the competition to have a gimmick like "only what the Mayans would have had access to" is ridiculous.  Granted, it's quite interesting to see how they respond, but I just don't favor that type of restriction in the semi-finals.

Very disappointing.  We missed out on the chefs excitement at the wealth of products before them including new foods they have never used.  I like seeing dishes I desperately want to taste.  

2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Brooke picked the mildest pepper and covered it up with fruit (the guy asked "is this pineapple??") and she wins, in spite of the massive praise they gave Shirley for her mix of flavors. I thought it was Shirley's dish that would win.... but no, Brooke gets another QF.

Padma and the guest judge at QFs always leave us with a question in our mind as to who they favor and this is by design.  Padma knows how to do this and the guest is schooled.  It is particularly obvious as the numbers dwindle.  In the beginning we usually know who is on the bottom and the top 3.  No need to pussy foot around at this early juncture.  

------------------------

I knew Sheldon was going, I just felt it and it made me sad.  His quick fire failed and that was in their minds as well.  The judges table takes a long time, as we know so we don't know who was fighting for Sheldon.  Graham said his not testing the grill was a huge error.  This after Tom was praising the other components on his plate. 

Personally, I was shocked he did that, too.  I cook seafood in a grill basket (oiled) for this very reason.  Before I owned it, I oiled the pieces heavily.  I said out loud (to no one), cut slits in the leaves and put the fish on top, you don't have to wrap it!   I also said (I get chatty) to make the fish look like it was a plan to have it in pieces, mix it with your side dish!  This before Tom mentioned this at the table.  

I think Brooke will win (no conspiracy).  Shirley will have a little too much of an Asian spin (just a little) and that will be her downfall.  I can hear Tom saying her flavors were not balanced because of this.  And you can serve them dumplings just so many times.  

• Love 6

Brooke's comment about wanting Sheldon in the finals - not so that she could beat him, but that she could experience that with him, that she saw him as a brother - reminded me of why I like watching TC over other reality shows. There are some jerks here and there, but for the most part, cheftestants seem to form deep camaraderies on the show, and want to see each other succeed.

I wonder if the outcome would have been different if Sheldon had said that yes, he was mimicking the texture of crab with his dish, although maybe Tom would have called BS. It did seem like he was trying to offer Sheldon an out, though. 

Edited by archer1267
  • Love 17

I really like all three finalists a lot, so regardless of who qualified for the finals, I'd be happy.

I do think they've over-focused on Brooke this season, which makes me wonder if they're setting us up for her win, only because she seems to have been given the strongest focus out of everyone. If that's the case ... bad job, guys. Don't telegraph wins. Hell, don't telegraph anything - and they do this ALL the time and I hate it.

I knew Sheldon would be out merely because post fish, Brooke made a comment about wanting to compete against Sheldon. There was no question after that about who was going. I absolutely hate when shows do this. Create some damn mystery. Otherwise I may as well just read recaps somewhere.

And a rant that is probably Canadian specific here - Freedom Mobile had the WORST popup ad on screen - it covered what the dish was! The description is often better than what the chefs say to the judges about the dish, so I rely on that, especially with ingredients I'm not familiar with. All of these companies that advertise seem to want to outdo each other with the ugliest, most intrusive ads. It makes me hate the companies that do this so much. I think they should be fined if their ad blocks important on-screen info.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, arieswriting said:

And a rant that is probably Canadian specific here - Freedom Mobile had the WORST popup ad on screen - it covered what the dish was! The description is often better than what the chefs say to the judges about the dish, so I rely on that, especially with ingredients I'm not familiar with. All of these companies that advertise seem to want to outdo each other with the ugliest, most intrusive ads. It makes me hate the companies that do this so much. I think they should be fined if their ad blocks important on-screen info.

That's me screaming with you aries.  I didn't see Freedom Mobile, but Bravo has the absolute worst, most intrusive bottom-of-the-screen blurbs ever.  I go ballistic when housewives go parading across the bottom of my screen even when they aren't covering text.

Agree with those disappointed in the elimination challenge.  I guess their point is that a true Top Chef should be able to improvise successfully with whatever they throw at them, but that just doesn't work for me in the final three, where they had limited ingredients and no tools.  It was more like Stunt Chef.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, weightyghost said:

The one thing that has always bugged me about this show is that the protein outweighs everything. Sheldon had flavour, good sides, good heat, met the challenge but messed up the fish. Brooke cooked her fish right, but had no flavour, bland sides, nothing of the culture. And yet he goes home? Sure. I dont see how that works, if I go out to dinner and the chef screwed up 80% of my plate but my meat happened to taste good, why would I reward that? 

Yes. IMO too the wrong chef went home. I would also note that the guest judge stated that Sheldon met the challenge. (I would note that some other folks here are especially keen on this aspect as a judgement parameter for cheftestants ;-) other than Brooke W (so it seems) who has violated that numerous times)  FWIW Padma L also stated she favored Sheldon.  But Tom C, when he is able to as Head Judge  (unless he is clearly outvoted), sways the decision as has been observed many times over the course of Top Chef.   Personally, I also don't think much of that person with those ridiculous white-frame glasses. YMMV.

I also wonder if Sheldon could have used something - ok, like one of his big knives (sacrifice the edge for this) to "slice"/"strip" the fish off the grill by pushing the knife at a suitable angle under the fish? THEN do something about either grilling the other side or using what you had of the "lower" side of the fish. Leaving the carcasses of the dismembered and ravaged fishes on the grill was a very bad visual, I agree.

I have no interest in or enthusiasm for who wins TC in this season now. Neither of the two finalists, in my mind, are truly deserving. Either one would have an *asterisk placed against her name, although for different reasons.

Edited by chiaros
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, tiredofwork said:

I hope the issue of hideousness on the cornrows was a factor specific to the way they looked on Padma?  While I don't expect everyone to like the style of cornrows they are a cultural specific style.  I was taken aback seeing her pop up suddenly with the style with no good reason and am offended by the embarrassing misappropriation. 

Yes, this is exactly the problem.  Cornrows have no connection or context in Mexico and struck me, at least, as somewhat offensive misappropriation. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Brooke lost in *this* competition. She got back into it through that whole "Last Chance Kitchen" thing which I dislike. Once you're out, you should be out.

Not to beat the deceased equine, but for LCK, Brooke would have won her season and this would all be moot.

If Sheldon had fibbed and said he shredded the fish on purpose, would it have made a difference?

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 16

I knew Sheldon would be going home because of how much they showed him in the first half. I get that it's edited after the fact, but why spoil it for us? I don't like Brook and didn't like that she kept bringing up that she didn't have lemons, didn't have limes etc. No one else had these things either. I guess I would feel better about it if they said Sheldon's dish tasted bad, but it clearly didn't. They said he had really good flavors. I think how something tastes should win out over how it looks. The judges just couldn't get over the idea of the fish sticking on the grill. 

I didn't like the elimination challenge at all. The cooking area looked so dark it was hard to see what they were doing and the options seemed so limited. They wouldn't be limited for me being a vegetarian, but I can see them as limited for protein heavy Chef's. I also felt a bit for Sheldon in trying to find cheese at the market. I thought I heard him ask for Queso but no one seemed to know what he wanted. Someone up thread mentioned they he never used the word Queso so I may have misheard or been wrong. Shirley for the win I guess.

• Love 4

I was miserable watching them all sweat so much, even the judges.

I'm pulling for Shirley. Brooke is the better TV personality, but I would choose Shirley to cook for me over Sheldon & Brooke. That's how I measure them.

• Love 2

I was taken aback seeing her pop up suddenly with the style with no good reason and am offended by the embarrassing misappropriation. 

While I get your point, I was recently in the Bahamas and passed several street vendors who offered to braid my hair. I did a quick look of hair braiding on Playa del Carmen travel boards, and this seems to be the case in PDC as well. I found several photos posted by tourists who had had their hair braided at a salon, or at the resorts on-site.

I'm not a big Padma fan, but she might have just viewed this as a fun, touristy thing to do rather than something that would be offensive.

Edited by archer1267
  • Love 14
5 hours ago, Rammchick said:

The problem with the cornrows on Padma was that they pulled her eyes up.  It made her look constantly staring and surprised.

I agree, it did do something funny to her eyes. And that "Secrets" resort which was the QF prize? Is that the one that has really obnoxiously suggestive ads (at least to me) on *constantly* on whatever show I happen to be watching?

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, dleighg said:

And that "Secrets" resort which was the QF prize? Is that the one that has really obnoxiously suggestive ads (at least to me) on *constantly* on whatever show I happen to be watching?

Yes.  I wish you had seen what I saw yesterday.  I'm not a prude, but for heaven's sake.  OTOH, I also think those KY commercials are too much.  So, that might be me.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I feel for them having a language barrier while shopping for ingredients, but if you want cheese and can't even eke out "queso?" I'm not terribly sympathetic.

He did say "queso fresco?" a bunch of times. Just nobody had it. He was at a big disadvantage language-wise.

What did surprise me is I heard them say "tamal" clearly about what he bought, and that's an easily recognizable word so not sure where his confusion was on that.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, snarktini said:

What did surprise me is I heard them say "tamal" clearly about what he bought, and that's an easily recognizable word so not sure where his confusion was on that.

I think it means his Spanish is far worse than mine, which is almost non-existent!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, archer1267 said:

While I get your point, I was recently in the Bahamas and passed several street vendors who offered to braid my hair. I did a quick look of hair braiding on Playa del Carmen travel boards, and this seems to be the case in PDC as well. I found several photos posted by tourists who had had their hair braided at a salon, or at the resorts on-site.

I'm not a big Padma fan, but she might have just viewed this as a fun, touristy thing to do rather than something that would be offensive.

Yeah, I saw the same thing in Cancun.  Lots of braiding for tourists.  And I get the point, but I think she did it as a fun, touristy thing also.  And now I wonder when braiding became such a touristy thing in parts of Mexico.  

• Love 3
Just now, VintageJ said:

And now I wonder when braiding became such a touristy thing in parts of Mexico.  

I don't know about Mexico but there were plenty of ladies on the beach offering to sell me braids in the Bahamas in 1997. I passed.

2 minutes ago, snarktini said:

He did say "queso fresco?" a bunch of times to various people. Just nobody had it. He was at a big disadvantage language-wise.

He still allowed his fish to stick to the grill! He saw the other 2 chefs and went in the direction they knew would occur! He blew it so I have little sympathy for him! That was a ton of food left for birds and bugs to munch on for days! ;-)

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I think it means his Spanish is far worse than mine, which is almost non-existent!

I thought it was really funny that since he is Hawaiian (well, working in Hawaii is the relevant point), he's probably the ONLY chef who does not have passable Spanish. I'm unaware of anywhere in the contiguous 48 where Spanish is not absolutely necessary to the running of a kitchen. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, xtwheeler said:

I thought it was really funny that since he is Hawaiian (well, working in Hawaii is the relevant point), he's probably the ONLY chef who does not have passable Spanish.

Yeah I live in suburban NYC (not a chef) and it's really hard to not to pick up a bit, just at the grocery store or looking at store signs.

27 minutes ago, snarktini said:

He did say "queso fresco?" a bunch of times. Just nobody had it. He was at a big disadvantage language-wise.

Sorry, I meant that he didn't say it to the woman from whom he bought his "cheese," not that he didn't say it at all (and maybe he did to her and I just didn't hear it).  And, yeah, she told him what it was.  So I was a little less sympathetic on the language barrier than I otherwise would have been.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Sorry, I meant that he didn't say it to the woman from whom he bought his "cheese," not that he didn't say it at all (and maybe he did to her and I just didn't hear it).  And, yeah, she told him what it was.  So I was a little less sympathetic on the language barrier than I otherwise would have been.

I pulled up the scene. No, he is not shown asking that vendor about queso. He asks if it's a tamal, they say yes, tamal colado. In his TH he said he thought it looked like cheese. Maybe he thought it looked like a tamal with cheese? He has excellent vision if he can see through the leaf wrapper!

I'm sympathetic in that it always sucks to have a disadvantage. But it's a competition show, there's always a case where you have one advantage or another (like, you've cooked geoduck or happen to specialize in whatever the challenge is). All's fair in love and war.

Since he couldn't find cheese, he took a chance on the tamal. That didn't pan out. Ideally he should have also tried to find something else as a backup. (Whereas Brooke at the market said she was just buying everything to be safe.) Sheldon in this challenge and Brooke in the EC made tactical mistakes in not adapting to what was available.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, archer1267 said:

As I said upthread, I think it had more to do with the heat (particularly on the Caribbean, sea-level side of Mexico in the summer) than any cultural appropriation.  Remember "10" w/Bo Derek?  Mexican beach.  I rest my case!  Having said that, Top Chef Mexico finale could seriously be renamed "Padma's Boobs".

• Love 22
12 minutes ago, Blonde Gator said:

As I said upthread, I think it had more to do with the heat (particularly on the Caribbean, sea-level side of Mexico in the summer) than any cultural appropriation.  Remember "10" w/Bo Derek?  Mexican beach.  I rest my case!  Having said that, Top Chef Mexico finale could seriously be renamed "Padma's Boobs".

When my sister goes on vacation with the kids and they know they'll be swimming a lot, she goes to the braids so she doesn't have to worry about it! All her girls are the same; leave the curling irons, blow dryers, and other hair care products at home! I just went to the ponytail if my hair was that long! ;-)

Edited by Jamie Satyr
Spelling
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Tourist town.  Sheldon could have waved a 20 peso note at a group of kids and found one who spoke perfect Anglais to help him out.  The vendor obviously had no English.  And I've never heard of a tamal with cheese in it.  Not in Mexico, Nicaragua, nor Costa Rica.  Bad call by Sheldon, IMO.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Blonde Gator said:

Tourist town.  Sheldon could have waved a 20 peso note at a group of kids and found one who spoke perfect English to help him out.  The vendor obviously had no English skills.  And I've never heard of a tamale with cheese in it; not in Mexico, Nicaragua, nor Costa Rica.  Bad call by Sheldon, IMO.

Why all this discussion about the cheese? Sheldon lost due to ill-conceived preparation of his fish! There was a lot left behind on the grill! ;-(

I LOVE Sheldon and was hoping for a Brooke/Sheldon finale, but alas, it was not meant to be. Now, GO Brooke! I feel like she is the most well rounded and complete chef, and the "the fix is in" situation thrown at her is, IMO, totally unfounded.

I like Shirley but Brooke deserves to win (and hopefully she will).

• Love 9
19 hours ago, weightyghost said:

The one thing that has always bugged me about this show is that the protein outweighs everything. Sheldon had flavour, good sides, good heat, met the challenge but messed up the fish. Brooke cooked her fish right, but had no flavour, bland sides, nothing of the culture. And yet he goes home? 

They described his fish as "horrible". I did not hear any of them use a term nearly that negative about anything on Brooke's plate. Some said the two salsas competed with each other, but Tom said he liked it. And they all said her fish was perfect. So to me it read like the choice was:

Perfect fish plus OK-to-good-depending-on-who-you-ask everything else

vs

Horrible fish plus awesome everything else

When framed as above (which is how I interpreted the clips of the reactions we were shown), I don't think they were just valuing the protein over everything else. I think if they had to put a numeric value on each component, the negative of Sheldon's fish was just so bad that the goodness of the rest could not overcome it. (not saying they do put numeric values in judging, just trying to illustrate the theoretical thought process)

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Blonde Gator said:

Having said that, Top Chef Mexico finale could seriously be renamed "Padma's Boobs".

The whole season could be called Top Chef:  Padma's Boobs.  Is she husband hunting or something?  Pomma seems so different than the jumping on the bed laughing to wake someone up Pomma in days of old.  

Have no problem with the cornrows. I just assumed it was 110° in the shade so go for it.  

Was hoping for Sheldon v. Shirley with Sheldon taking it just because I love his disposition and his food looks good enough to eat. I don't like that Brooke has not always had to conform to the challenge guidelines.  She seems more like Colicchio's pet and I still haven't forgiven him for treating Tiffani Faison the same way.  Wishing nothing but good things for Sheldon in the future.  

• Love 4

So sad to see Sheldon go, but knew it was inevitable after the editors hit me.over the head with it - twice - that women chefs can bring it in finales

Go Shirley! Brooke's gained enough affirmation, won enough money - and super expensive tequila, now including backwash - to justify her return.

When's the next All Stars season? I say let's cast Hosea and guarantee Sheldon the win...

• Love 2
On 2/23/2017 at 9:25 PM, HunterHunted said:

What's wrong with Padma's cornrows?

The cornrows were a LOL! Very unflattering but I'm SURE she thought she looked good - NOT!!!

On 2/23/2017 at 9:18 PM, escatefromny said:

Nooooooooo!!!!  Poor Sheldon.  What a shame.  Mangled protein is the kiss of death.  It is almost as if he was just too chill and positive to be worried about the fish on the open flame (to his heartbreaking detriment).   Super sad to see him go.

I am pleased that Shirley made it into the final.  Brooke's inability to really roll with the punches and improvise makes her the weaker chef in my mind.  I guess we'll see next week.

I run hot and cold re Padama but her appearance was really distracting tonight. I don't know what was worse, the hideous cornrows for the quickfire or the threads that were holding up her inappropriately over exposed breasts at the elimination challenge.  

Padma's dresses showed WAY too much boobage and her nips - NOT classy. She's WAY too full of herself and reminds me of someone who needs a LOT of ATTENTION.

23 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Brooke lost in *this* competition. She got back into it through that whole "Last Chance Kitchen" thing which I dislike. Once you're out, you should be out.

Right, she lost in her previous season (like they all did) *and* she lost in this season.

I agree that once you're out you should be out.

On 2/23/2017 at 9:23 PM, wings707 said:

Well, damn.   So that means Brook is my choice.  I just don't like Shirley.  No hate, just not taken in by her. 

I don't like Brook or Shirley. Brook is NOT that talented, IMO. I was hoping that Sheldon would win TC. He has the BEST personality of the last remaining 3.

• Love 3

I don't like gimmicky challenges near the end, either, but there is precedent from the time they had to chip ingredients out of ice blocks.  Wasn't that a final 3 or 4 challenge?  Ugh, least favorite of all time.  

Bye, Sheldon, I do love you so.  I was egging friends to go to Tin Roof when they were in Kahului last week - I so would if I were there!  (They passed, though.) 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Calamity Jane said:

I don't like gimmicky challenges near the end, either, but there is precedent from the time they had to chip ingredients out of ice blocks.  Wasn't that a final 3 or 4 challenge?  Ugh, least favorite of all time.  

Bye, Sheldon, I do love you so.  I was egging friends to go to Tin Roof when they were in Kahului last week - I so would if I were there!  (They passed, though.) 

When they started going that route, I lost interest in the show! Past Restaurant Wars and finale challenges from past seasons can be watched again and again, but something as stupid as needing to ski, riding a bike, or shooting a rifle to gain your ingredients is stupid and not entertaining! ;-)

• Love 5

I never notice what Padma is wearing - I think she just annoys me that I automatically block her from my vision. :)

I didn't mind the EC.  It spoke to their creativity and ability to think on their feet.  As usual Brooke spent time in her own head which led to her second guessing herself and NOT meeting parameters of the challenge,  And (I have said before) she seems to get more latitude when creativity is part of the challenge.  

I am glad Shirley won - I think that she has a shot at winning.  If Sheldon can't be in finals (made me so sad that he was eliminated!!) and win, then I hope Shirley wins the whole thing.  If Brooke wins, well, I'll be a little bummed but she is a good chef so I really won't have any complaints.

BTW it has always bothered me when it is stated "So and so deserves to win".  No, you earn the win.  If so and so deserves the win, why have a competition in the first place? Why not just give it to them from the beginning?  

• Love 3

One thing is clear from all the food competitions I watch...if you screw up the protein you are gone.  Add that to the fact that Padma wanted Sheldon to stay and head judge Tom did not.  So...goodbye Sheldon.  Sad.  I have nothing against Brooke but I hope Shirley wins.

Last Chance Kitchen needs more judges.  Right now it's Tom manipulating outcomes to get back the person he wants.  This is not a conspiracy theory, after all, Tom is human and it's impossible to omit feelings when judging.  That's why there needs to be more than one judge or stop Last Chance entirely.  When you are gone, you're gone.  JMO.

• Love 7

- As you may know by now, I am easily mesmerized by what Padma wears (or more specifically not wearing).  But oy oy oy oy wtf was that unflattering blue dress?  It added layers to parts of body noone would want addition to

- Of course the camera was focusing on Brooke in bathing suit swimming in the ocean.  They kind of forgot that Shirley and Sheldon were there too.  Not fair to the fans. I mean I do not want to see 1/2 naked Sheldon, but his fans here on the board might be dying for a glimpse of that body :P :P :P :P

- Based on the judges comments I thought Shirley was going to win QF.  Sheldon's was the only dish Padma criticized so he was completely out

- Not sure what I feel about a gimmicky challenge for top 3 EC.  I like that they had to basically use the same ingredients but the no electricity or tool might be better fit for top 4.  At least they did not have to break solid ice just to get the ingredients. 

- Sorry Sheldon, but not testing how a slice of your main protein would fare on an unfamiliar grill was a huge mistake.  On any other challenges the judges would look for crispiness of skins, temperature (rare/well done/ medium), taste, and presentation.  Sheldon's broken fish easily lost on at least 3 of those criteria.  Too bad because based on the judges' comments his salsa/side was excellent.

- I was excited to see dragon fruit.  I did not know they had those in Mexico.  

- I like how Gordon was excited to try the Mayan cooking tools when asked (by Brooke?)

- Speaking of tools, they look very similar to tools used in parts of Asia.  I did not know about oxidation that happens when mixing with blender.  No wonder salsa and hot sauce taste better when prepared using old school stone grinder

• Love 1
On 2/23/2017 at 9:23 PM, Michichick said:

I'm so unobservant. I do remember Padma's unattractive braided hairstyle, but I have no recollection of what she was wearing at all. But apparently it was boobalicious. ;)

My husband kept rewinding and pausing until I finally had enough & grabbed the remote. 

17 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Every time Brooke opened her mouth, it was "Four years ago....." Enough already. I hope Shirley wins just because I hate Brooke constantly reminding the world that she lost 4 years ago.

Husband: "Who does she think she is, Richard Blais"? lol

12 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Not to beat the deceased equine, but for LCK, Brooke would have won her season and this would all be moot.

Yes, but to be fair, Sheldon, or whoever else would have been in the top 3 if Kristen had not come back (I cannot remember who finished 4th in that season), could have beat her in the finale. 

I am rooting for Shirley since her original season was in my hometown. Lame reason, I know, but now that Sheldon is out I kinda don't care. And I'm still not sure that the scales are not tipped in Brooke's favor, so I feel like I am rooting for the underdog. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Blonde Gator said:

And I've never heard of a tamal with cheese in it.  Not in Mexico, Nicaragua, nor Costa Rica.

Tamales with cheese exist! Less common, but they're there. Often paired with a chile, sometimes corn or black bean. I know them from Mexico, not sure where all they can be found.

• Love 2

Part of me is annoyed because Sheldon was at such a disadvantage in the QuickFire and he just seemed out of sorts.  The language barrier sucked.  But then he knew he was going to Mexico and I feel like he should have had a few plans thought out in case of running around an open market knowing he didn't speak the language.  I don't know...it just seemed hard to watch.  He didn't even come close to cooking the dish he wanted.  And he should have thrown Brooke's salsa on the ground when she couldn't get it open LOL.

Shirleys stint at China Poblano certainly helped her here.  I guess that's the luck of the draw.

i didn't realize how pro Sheldon I was until he got eliminated.  I guess I'm rooting for Shirley now because another LCK comeback story seems kind of lame to me.  Or the second LCK comeback should have gone to someone who won six or seven in a row instead of last person out.

• Love 3
On 2/24/2017 at 10:56 PM, HappyDancex2 said:

and I feel like he should have had a few plans thought out in case of running around an open market knowing he didn't speak the language.  I

I seriously don't think it was a language issue, he clearly was asking for queso fresco and for the life of me I don't know why he thought queso fresco would be wrapped in banana leaves sitting unrefrigerated in the sun he even repeated tamal to her. I think he just freaking panicked. 

• Love 5

Rooting for Shirley because I do feel like she is the "underdog", though I would've preferred a Sheldon vs Shirley finale.

My analysis of the last episodes dishes was that overall Brooke's dish was probably more palatable than Sheldon's because of the fish, a major component, THOUGH Sheldon definitely showed more overall cooking ability...his dish was well conceptualized with one major mistake while Brooke's whole dish was boring and flat, actually very similar to her QF dish with fish instead of pork. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, limecoke said:

One thing is clear from all the food competitions I watch...if you screw up the protein you are gone.  Add that to the fact that Padma wanted Sheldon to stay and head judge Tom did not.  So...goodbye Sheldon.  Sad.  I have nothing against Brooke but I hope Shirley wins.

Last Chance Kitchen needs more judges.  Right now it's Tom manipulating outcomes to get back the person he wants.  This is not a conspiracy theory, after all, Tom is human and it's impossible to omit feelings when judging.  That's why there needs to be more than one judge or stop Last Chance entirely.  When you are gone, you're gone.  JMO.

Personalities aside, when it comes to food, I'd take Tom's word over Padma's any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

• Love 11

It's not like Tom hates Sheldon. His send off to him spoke volumes. I think it might be the most he has ever complemented anyone including the winners of this show. If Ton was all powerful I think it would be Sheldon versus Brooke in the finale.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, bobbobbob199 said:

Rooting for Shirley because I do feel like she is the "underdog", though I would've preferred a Sheldon vs Shirley finale.

My analysis of the last episodes dishes was that overall Brooke's dish was probably more palatable than Sheldon's because of the fish, a major component, THOUGH Sheldon definitely showed more overall cooking ability...his dish was well conceptualized with one major mistake while Brooke's whole dish was boring and flat, actually very similar to her QF dish with fish instead of pork. 

When there is no clear parameters defining the challenge (ie. be creative), it seems like Brooke basically default to "throw as many ingredients to her dish as she could" strategy.  The criticism of her dishes usually revolve around components that do not work together.  What happened in this EC was similar to the last EC at Charleston, only this time Sheldon botched the execution of his main protein.

On the other hand, Shirley and Sheldon seem to have a clear concept of their dishes coming in to EC and the end results are usually very similar to that concept.  Their criticism usually revolve around execution of component(s) of the dish

*Although I would not put it pass the Elves to creatively edit the whole season to make it looked like the above 

• Love 1