Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E08: Tell All, Part 1

• Start Topic

Has TLC ever repeated, within the actual season of a show, so many clip shows that are within themselves repeat after repeat? Is this something unique to Sister Wives or is it common practice for TLC? I don't watch a lot of their programs so I'm curious.

• Love 2

I like on the topic of Nancy the therapist that 1) they felt the need to explain who Nancy is... WE KNOW 2) his reason for bringing it was was to point out the one time ever she agreed with him. I've never been married, but I've been in individual therapy for a few minutes (7-8 yrs... I have some issues) and even just me by myself my therapist doesn't generally declare anyone wrong or right in my telling of stories, and I appreciate that, I don't have a therapist so that someone will pat my back and tell me I'm doing everything right, or making an effort or whatever. I am of the school of thought that in any story telling between 2 people that the truth is likely somewhere in the middle, so I prefer a mental health professional display that, but it seems like Nancy frequently takes sides (although in second though, Jody usually is blatantly wrong).

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

Has TLC ever repeated, within the actual season of a show, so many clip shows that are within themselves repeat after repeat? Is this something unique to Sister Wives or is it common practice for TLC? I don't watch a lot of their programs so I'm curious.

This is a laughably common TLC practice.  This show, in particular, is absolutely brutal with the rewinds, clips, and retrospectives.  I am slowly dying over here in Maryland right now. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

Has TLC ever repeated, within the actual season of a show, so many clip shows that are within themselves repeat after repeat? Is this something unique to Sister Wives or is it common practice for TLC?

They add on captions or maybe 2 minutes to the 'My 600 Pound Life' (yes sadly I watch that too) shows and recycle them as an "extended version'.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Armchair Critic said:

They add on captions or maybe 2 minutes to the 'My 600 Pound Life' (yes sadly I watch that too) shows and recycle them as an "extended version'.

Yeah, I knew they did that with that show (sadly, one of the few I watch). It just seems so excessive with SW.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, SuzyLee said:

This is a laughably common TLC practice.  This show, in particular, is absolutely brutal with the rewinds, clips, and retrospectives.  I am slowly dying over here in Maryland right now. 

You are released from your promise to watch this dreck!

• Love 4

Robyn just told Kody what he was thinking when Logan moved out. Yes I remember he was sad when Logan left, sort of a shock to the system, however for him to say "you just know that they're going to go eventually," WHICH IS TRUE BTW, regardless of your emotions at the time, and then Robyn chimes in with, "No that's not what was going on with you. You had a new perspective on the younger kids." It's like, shut up bitch. Let him have his own damn memory and come to terms with it in the way he needs to without you bringing up how emotional he was! She surely is the queen bee. She even tells them how to think and they say yes ma'am.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Sista Snarky said:

I guess the "Behind the Scenes" episodes that aired a few seasons ago were not enough & we needed "All about" episodes  as refreshers...

I know right!? Didn't we have 4 weeks of all about episodes just a season or 2 ago, it's not even like they covered the time since then, they are still covering the beginning of their relationships. 

Speaking of, I like how the flashback footage of Janelle explaining how her mom met Kody's dad it was all sunshine and lollipops and done out of support, then the realtime footage was basically her mom made that trip to make sure that she wasn't going to join a cult of bad people (which I still feel is debatable).

• Love 3
22 hours ago, leighroda said:

I like how the flashback footage of Janelle explaining how her mom met Kody's dad it was all sunshine and lollipops and done out of support, then the realtime footage was basically her mom made that trip to make sure that she wasn't going to join a cult of bad people (which I still feel is debatable).

I guess Janelle's "sunshine and lollipops" retelling is for viewers that haven't read their book.  According to what she wrote, her mother became alarmed when she heard that she was living with polygamists and paid her a visit.  However, Kody's Dad charmed the pants off of her (literally) and the rest is history. 

Edited by Adeejay
  • Love 5
54 minutes ago, Sista Snarky said:

Poor Logan...

This is the 3rd of 4th Tell All that he's been asked about getting married. 

He's 22 not 45....

Seriously. TLC is about to market him as the next Jana Duggar. 

1 hour ago, Adeejay said:

Liar, liar, pants on fire.  Janelle is rewriting history.  Not once did she mention she was married to Meri’s brother. She said she only started considering Kody after she had a “paradigm shift.”  I have to commend her play on words. 

The paradigm shifted when she was homeless and needed to not live in a tent. 

• Love 6

For quite a while at the end I think he had a rough temperament due to dementia.

I have enjoyed this year more.  Maybe I am mellowing.  But Jenelle still has a boy and girl at home I don't remember seeing and Christina has several I haven't seen in a long time including a Pardon and a couple of girls with odd names.  Not counting Truly.

As a west coaster I can see both SW and Victoria without a conflict.  But I record Victoria anyway. 

• Love 1

I have gaps in my viewing; I missed some seasons.  I FFed through the 1st hour but the 2nd filled in some gaps.  I am still missing what exactly the rift is between Meri and Janelle. Who did what if that question even applies.   They elude but never say the reason outright.  Frustrating. 

Is there a  possibility that Kody got together with Janelle before Meri knew she was a contender for #2?  Just a thought. Seems like that could have happened.  He was young, new at the game and full of himself. That has not changed.  Ha.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Adeejay said:

The one thing I found interesting was Kody saying that half the time when the wives are mad at him, it really isn't him they are mad at but one of the other wives. And here I thought they live in complete harmony. /extreme sarcasm/

And they probably wouldn't be mad at the other "wife" if Kody wasn't sleeping with other "wives" . . . and on and on and on

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Is there a  possibility that Kody got together with Janelle before Meri knew she was a contender for #2?  Just a thought. Seems like that could have happened.  He was young, new at the game and full of himself. That has not changed.  Ha.

Yes I think he was seeing her behind Meri's back. That's why I think Jenelle is worse than Robyn. I would be highly pissed too if my sister-in-law was seeing my husband behind my back. Polygamist or not. It's not right. So yeah I don't blame Meri for hating her ass. Interesting how Jenelle was suddenly ok with polygamy as soon as she became kody's mistress.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Nowhere said:

Yes I think he was seeing her behind Meri's back. That's why I think Jenelle is worse than Robyn. I would be highly pissed too if my sister-in-law was seeing my husband behind my back. Polygamist or not. It's not right. So yeah I don't blame Meri for hating her ass. Interesting how Jenelle was suddenly ok with polygamy as soon as she became kody's mistress.

This certainly fills in a huge part of the picture.  Their refusal to talk about their distance on camera almost confirms it.  Hard to understand why Janelle appears to be strident In her position if this is the case  though.  You would think she would have felt guilty an humbled by Meri discovering this early on. 

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, wings707 said:

This certainly fills in a huge part of the picture.  Their refusal to talk about their distance on camera almost confirms it.  Hard to understand why Janelle appears to be strident In her position if this is the case  though.  You would think she would have felt guilty an humbled by Meri discovering this early on. 

Because Jenelle is even worse than Robyn. If I was in jenelles position back then, I'd be basically kissing Meri's ass for a little while just to make sure it was all good. The fact that she doesn't take any responsibility and won't validate Meri's feelings on the matter, makes me think that SHE may be the narcissist of the group. She has no empathy. Not even with her own children. She admits that she does not enjoy spending time with her kids and didn't want to even help with homework, and then says it on tv, knowing the kids would hear it eventually. She doesn't care. It's weird.

Then the weird wedding speech where she admits that she can't stand her husband. No shame.

She says she never shows emotion except when it comes to her kids but when Maddison gave her a gift at the wedding she didn't even seem happy about it, no reaction. I felt so sorry for Maddie. Then she insists on fishing, doesn't care how maddie feels.

I'm sorry but Jenelle is just a weird emotionless shell. There's something wrong with her. 

• Love 15

Caleb looked like he was about to cry...since he was mostly ignored & nobody swooned over him (for once). It seems like leaving Las Vegas is not something that is in the cards for Maddie & Caleb.  

If he has to have that mustache & beard...he should learn about grooming. Uneven as hell  with a neck was full of nasty scruffy stubble. It's not like he's  busy with  a job or school these days. They're settling in like Bohemian squatters on the show.

Wearing a Dickies  mechanic shirt didn't do him any favors. Maybe it matches his wedding pants.

Mykelti looked like she found the keys to the liquor cabinet & was off to the races.

Three sheets to the wind...

Mrs. Padron discovers Patrón.

Edited by Sista Snarky
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, itsadryheat said:

powdered milk

During the first season they did a feature about "Christine's Fabulous Food Pantry"

The top shelf looked stocked with big cans of  powdered/freeze-dried "30 year supply survival food" that paranoid people stock for the Zombie Apocalypse or a bunch of broke lazy  asses stock when they have  plenty of people to feed. ? 

Powdered everything.

Edited by Sista Snarky
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, CofCinci said:

The paradigm shifted when she was homeless and needed to not live in a tent. 

I zoned out for most of this ridiculous 2 hour rehash, but I swear Kody used the phrase "paradigm shift" as well. Did they get a new phrase-of-the-day calendar or something???

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Sista Snarky said:

Yes Christine one takes something personally. 

They all have a habit of saying I took something personal.

or something went bad.  (unless you're rotting, that ain't right). AAAARRRRGHHHH!!

11 hours ago, SuzyLee said:

It's really hard to take Kody seriously (well, more than usual) when he's glaring at Meri with his tiny shark eye slits and that scraggly beard.  Ugh.

(Update: Hour number two is an all-Janelle retrospective.  *sigh*)

translate to Brown-speak:  "hard to take Kody serious."

Edited by Granny58
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Nowhere said:

Starting the Janelle episode. So basically Janelle was the mistress. She didn't believe in plural marriage until she wanted to move in on someone's husband. Side hoes do get a lot of attention. Why not make it official? I see her so much differently this season. I feel she's more stealth bitch than Robyn. At least with Robyn, everyone knew and approved. 

this.  Also, they revisited her mother's storyline, marrying Kody's father.  It brought back the pity I felt for Kody's mom.  That was a crap move too.  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

Robyn- "YES WE DO." Says the woman who had VS credit card debt.

Come on Galloway! We've been over this! It was the only place she could buy PJ pants that were long enough. Because she's so tall. She's a freaking Amazonian!

11 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Liar, liar, pants on fire.  Janelle is rewriting history.  Not once did she mention she was married to Meri’s brother. She said she only started considering Kody after she had a “paradigm shift.”  I have to commend her play on words. 

"alternate facts"

8 hours ago, wings707 said:

My impression has always been (and I don't really know why) that Meri picked Janelle because she could control her and she was not much of a threat. Meri knew there had to be other wives and she wanted a say. Remember they all said it was Meri picking the wives: she was the "mergers & acquisitions department". She knew Janelle wanted to work outside the home, was more of a buddy than lover to Kody, etc. It all backfired when Janelle was more fertile than Meri. Then, knowing 3 was the magic number, she picked/consented to Christine, who Kody assured her was a gross nacho-eater. When J & C struck up a partnership (kind of like a marriage) leaving Meri out, she picked Robin to be a "best friend". Robin screwed her over and here we are.

Side note: I watched Victoria last night on y'all's recommendation. Ugh. So boring! I like my royal stories with a little spice (see: Reign. That show is a hoot and a half!) Happy to defend myself on the chat thread. :)

• Love 9

I don't buy the official storyline that Meri picked ANY of the other wives for a minute. Not even Robyn. 

I think Robyn picked Kody, and Kody strongarmed Meri into going along with it, just like the other two wives. Meri went along with it because she wanted to hurt the other two, even if she got hurt in the process. It's clear to me that both Janelle and Christine had an agenda to get Kody.

• Love 16
43 minutes ago, SongbirdHollow said:

My impression has always been (and I don't really know why) that Meri picked Janelle because she could control her and she was not much of a threat. Meri knew there had to be other wives and she wanted a say. Remember they all said it was Meri picking the wives: she was the "mergers & acquisitions department". She knew Janelle wanted to work outside the home, was more of a buddy than lover to Kody, etc. It all backfired when Janelle was more fertile than Meri. Then, knowing 3 was the magic number, she picked/consented to Christine, who Kody assured her was a gross nacho-eater. When J & C struck up a partnership (kind of like a marriage) leaving Meri out, she picked Robin to be a "best friend". Robin screwed her over and here we are.

I had the same impression. I'm not saying that she forced Janelle on Kody or anything, but I think Meri very much had a hand in it. I think she knew Kody wanted to have more wives and she was desperate to please him. So by acting as if she was not only okay with it, but wanted to take an active role in the choosing, she thought that would really enamor him to her. And, absolutely, she picked a wife she thought was not as attractive or assertive, so she could still rule the roost and Kody's heart. I'm not saying Janelle was perfect in all this, but I've always seen Meri as cold and calculating in her position as #1. 

• Love 5

People, people, people.

Kody did not WANT more wives.  He got a testimony from God that he HAD to do this.  He's a victim of martyr for his faith.  That's his story, and he's sticking to it.

Edited by AZChristian
Made the statement more dramatic - like Kody.
  • Love 14
13 hours ago, Adeejay said:

1 hour ago, SongbirdHollow said:

"alternate facts"

Beat me to it!

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Nowhere said:

Because Jenelle is even worse than Robyn. If I was in jenelles position back then, I'd be basically kissing Meri's ass for a little while just to make sure it was all good. The fact that she doesn't take any responsibility and won't validate Meri's feelings on the matter, makes me think that SHE may be the narcissist of the group. She has no empathy. Not even with her own children. She admits that she does not enjoy spending time with her kids and didn't want to even help with homework, and then says it on tv, knowing the kids would hear it eventually. She doesn't care. It's weird.

Then the weird wedding speech where she admits that she can't stand her husband. No shame.

She says she never shows emotion except when it comes to her kids but when Maddison gave her a gift at the wedding she didn't even seem happy about it, no reaction. I felt so sorry for Maddie. Then she insists on fishing, doesn't care how maddie feels.

I'm sorry but Jenelle is just a weird emotionless shell. There's something wrong with her. 

I agree. Sometimes what we see at this point is the aftermath. Meri often seems emotionally abusive in general but most of all to Jenelle. Not saying it's actually OK, but how much of that is due to old stuff Jenelle and Kody did, and not just Meri being a bitch? Meri's only problem is blaming only the woman and not the husband. But there might be old hurt there that we will never know about.

I feel similarly about Mariah...She sometimes seems bitchy to her mom but after 20+ years of living alone with and being raised by Meri "wet bar" Brown, you just might be too...

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I had the same impression. I'm not saying that she forced Janelle on Kody or anything, but I think Meri very much had a hand in it. I think she knew Kody wanted to have more wives and she was desperate to please him. So by acting as if she was not only okay with it, but wanted to take an active role in the choosing, she thought that would really enamor him to her. And, absolutely, she picked a wife she thought was not as attractive or assertive, so she could still rule the roost and Kody's heart. I'm not saying Janelle was perfect in all this, but I've always seen Meri as cold and calculating in her position as #1. 

That could be equally possible. Meri strikes me as scarily manipulative. Even in her catfish situation, she was deeply needy, even controlling. How many voicemails in a few months? Hundreds? Thousands? Most of them sobbing and yelling? Towards a man she'd never met?

If she's that way with strangers, imagine what she was like as a young infatuated girl. I can see the possibility of Jenelle being the primary villain but honestly she often seems too spineless to have courted behind someone's back. What is she, a seductress?

7 hours ago, Sista Snarky said:

During the first season they did a feature about "Christine's Fabulous Food Pantry"

The top shelf looked stocked with big cans of  powdered/freeze-dried "30 year supply survival food" that paranoid people stock for the Zombie Apocalypse or a bunch of broke lazy  asses stock when they have  plenty of people to feed. ? 

Powdered everything.

It's a Mormon thing. They taught us to do it in church. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Sista Snarky said:

Powdered everything.

I'm one of those zombie apocalypse people :). Actually it's mostly in case of economic collapse but you never know, I've seen a few folks in Vegas acting like something from World War Z.

I haven't seen this episode yet and am wondering--did anything "explosive" happen, or are they making us wait until the last 30 seconds of next week's episode? 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Nowhere said:

Janelle approaches this like a business. She is a supervisor and all of the employees just don't live up to their goals each month. I also think she needs this type of lifestyle otherwise she would be very lonely. I do think she really loves her kids. 

I always DVR shows I watch weekly so I can watch all of them eventually. I chose this one to watch in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep. First thing I noticed was Meri's foot wagging. That's always a sign she is on the outs with someone or herself or a situation. Then we find out she and Kody have just come from a session with guru Nancy. Bet that didn't go well! She was shooting daggers at anyone who spoke and the others were walking on eggshells around her. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Adeejay said:

3 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I zoned out for most of this ridiculous 2 hour rehash, but I swear Kody used the phrase "paradigm shift" as well. Did they get a new phrase-of-the-day calendar or something???

I think Janelle and Kody binge on re-runs of "Big Bang Theory" and peanut-butter Fritos when it's Janelle's night with the Kodester.

Thank you too, @Adeejay, for the heads-up that there's nothing new on the Janelle/Meri subject.  I foolishly thought that perhaps, just maybe, a sliver of truth about how Janelle and Kody got together would come out.  Silly, silly me.

In an effort to stay awake through the bits that I did watch, I created a checklist in my mind.  Happy to announce that the Sister Wives did not disappoint:

Kody's 100-yard "duhhhhhhhh" stare - check.  Kody's hair looking stupider than usual - check.  Robyn wiping an eye booger, Meri "dilling" and "filling," Christine doing her breathy little girl whispery thing - check, check, check.  Janelle sitting in a decidedly un-ladylike fashion - check.  The "interviewer" (and I use that term loosely) not asking anything of merit?  Check-a-roo.  Catfish re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-hash?  CHECK.

And what was Meri wearing on her feet?  They looked like gray pull-on slippers.

Christine pretending to not remember why she was so mad at Kody that she took it out on poor Robyn was laughable.  She's a horrible actress.

Shut up, Robyn.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 15
22 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Christine pretending to not remember why she was so mad at Kody that she took it out on poor Robyn was laughable.  She's a horrible actress.

I totally caught that too!   She knew darn well what it was. 

• Love 6