Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Brandi and Kandi's Story

• Start Topic

23 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

The medical literature that is available shows that for the super obese,  bariatric surgery is a more effective intervention than non-surgical treatments, both in the short term  and long term.  It leads to greater body weight loss in a shorter period of time, which leads to the quicker resolution of related health issues (e.g. diabetes, HBP, etc) . In the long term, studies that track patients over the course of 10 years showed that people who had the surgery tended to keep the weight off, while those with non surgical interventions tended to be less successful in  keeping the weight off.

Don't confuse people with facts! Don't you know that Bariatric Surgery is taking the easy way out?  And everyone will tell stories about someone they know who had surgery and gained their weight back or is eating cake for breakfast. It's about worthiness, who is worthy to be thin, and how do you get there.  The general public has no idea what post surgery, lifetime eating is like.  The judgement the morbidly obese experience is heartbreaking.

• Love 13
14 hours ago, RedKoolAide said:

The sharing of the bed was what disturbed me the most. Kandi and Brandi are really codependent. They need indepth therapy and they need to learn to live separate lives.

I'm glad they're making progress in their weight loss. It was nice not to hear a lot of whining and excuses. 

I got the impression that each was afraid the other might die in their sleep or have a dire emergency. I think it was fear and (over)protectiveness that had them sleeping together. 

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

Not to be pedantic (but I totally am), those 2 were not identical twins, so did not start from a single cell that split.  They were 2 separate eggs that got fertilized at the same time.  The only time I was concerned about their sharing a bed was when I had the thought that maybe the bed couldn't hold that much weight at one time.  And in the future, if they DO decide they want to date and have a life outside of their own company, they will have to learn to have their own bedrooms at some point.

My total mistake! No idea where I got the impression that they are identical. But now that you mention it they do look a little different?

I had the thought about the bed holding over 1k, it made sense to me that a king size bed would be easier give added support.

And there is no doubt in my mind that if they ever decide to date they will do so separately.  On the other hand, there have been many men and women who have spent happy, fulfilled, productive lives without dating, marrying or having children.  Just saying!

• Love 4

I also read on a news source that this was the first set of identical twins on the show. It was interesting to note that they tended to lose the same exact amount of weight at their weigh ins. I also read somewhere on Facebook that both of them work for Wal-Mart and have worked at the one store in Vancouver, WA for  along time. They might be working at a Wal-Mart in the Houston area now though this wasn't stated in the article.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, CarolMK said:

I also read somewhere on Facebook that both of them work for Wal-Mart and have worked at the one store in Vancouver, WA for  along time.

I think they stated at the beginning they had stopped working due to their weight. Hopefully they have started working again because they seem like they are the kind to keep motivated and out there.

Someone upstream said they were in their early 20's. The screen said they were 29.

That seemed more like a chance to go to a crossfit class and expose themselves to in-shape people rather than actually participate in crossfit. Kandi did more at her regular workout than at that crossfit class!

I too hope these two are able to succeed and we get a happy update.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

then pushing on a stationary pole of some sort.

They were also using those rings that gymnasts use. There was a CrossFitter (is that a word?) in the background who was doing some reverse push ups with them (I don't know if "reverse push ups" is the right term -- I don't do CrossFit or gym exercises) and I think Kandi and Brandi were just kinda doing something with them. 

I had to laugh at the suggestion that either one was prepared for any kind of CrossFit training -- particularly Kandi whose heart stopped once already. I was waiting for them to make her carry a Monster Truck tire around thereby provoking another cardiac event. 

1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

Can we please get Kate Gosselin and the Duggars off TLC and get these two a show? I would watch their journey every week, they are low key but I liked both of them and cared about their outcome.

That's a great idea! However, it is TLC we're talking about and considering that neither of the sisters was an odious grifter, the likelihood of that happening is pretty much at zero. 

Edited by Guest

Brandi and Kandi Dreier are now 30 years old, and they're identical twins. Their best friend and roommate filled out the application for them to be on the show.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2016/dec/28/my-600-lb-life-features-local-twins/

The camera crews have followed the twins off and on this year and will continue to follow them for some time. For now, they’re only scheduled to be featured in the season premiere, though it’s possible a follow-up episode could come later.

• Love 9

I'm not sure why so many people think they couldn't possibly do a modified version of a Crossfit.  But most Boxes welcome people of all levels and sizes not just the super fit and meatheads.  My experience is that they would suggest attending classes during off peak hours so that trainer can demonstrate how to modify the WOD (and provide closer supervision).  Or some places recommend working with a trainer in a private session so that he or she could develop modifications so that they know and understand what to do when they attend the regular open Box classes.  Not all classes are ran with no emphasis on form and gong ho, pain is no gain type mentality.  Modified Crossfit (without the plyometrics) are simply variations of the same exercises we saw them do at Planet Fitness whether done standing or sitting.

Outside of the disastrous background story, they were more self sufficient than most patients on the show.  The fact that they were able to lose in the 100-150 pound range prior to the surgery with the right amount of guidance shows that they are among the few that might have been just as successful without the surgery.  Having a support system and incentives work well for some.  It seems like getting some therapy was just as helpful as their determination to stick to their diet.

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, LuciaMia said:

A bit OT, but every time they show an outside shot of Dr. No's clinic, I always think it looks like a car dealership!  ;-)

I've always thought that too!  I think it must be a repurposed building.  When I drive on our local commercial strips, I now look at car dealerships to compare with that building, and they so often have those large curved windows and so on.

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Yeah, that was all kinds of hinky. I'm thinking that maybe for the "drama" the producers gave Grandma the money and then she claimed she could pay their way. So, in a sense, she wasn't lying that she could afford to help them move. (That's my theory anyway.) I can't see how the show doesn't help pay the travel expenses for the participants. I think with the one exception of the girl who was had a good job in the theater (maybe that was Amber?), most of these folks seem to be on the low-income-to-full-blown-poverty scale. And I would have to assume the show picks up the tab for the new digs in Houston since, again theorizing, most of the participants receive some kind of state assistance that wouldn't be paid if they moved out of state. (Though a lot of the people on the show already live in Texas anyway.) 

You're not alone! 

I really wish someone would encourage people who've been brought up by toxic parents that cutting them out of their adult lives is also as beneficial as trying to establish some kind of relationship with those people. Just because that person gave birth to you doesn't mean you owe them your mental health and well being. You owe them nothing. I hope the girls realize their shitty mother is still a shitty mother and hold no expectation she'll ever change. Her lack of self awareness was on abundant display when she denied her suicide attempt and basically pretended it never happened. That's some A+ gaslighting. 

And then her offhand remark that she didn't remember which of the twins had attempted suicide - my God!! Just no big deal, I guess. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, editorgrrl said:

Brandi and Kandi Dreier are now 30 years old, and they're identical twins. Their best friend and roommate filled out the application for them to be on the show.

Wow.  I've never seen such un-identical identical twins.  Even in their baby pics, before they gained weight, I could tell the difference between them.  With the weight gain the difference was even bigger.  Not fraternal then.  Mind blown.  Thanks.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

Then I really need to know why they were in the same bed and not two full sized at least.

There's always a chance that they just couldn't afford a second bed.  They spent a lot of money on fast food, and they also had those two adorable little dogs, who seemed well-cared for.   There's always a chance they slept together in case one had difficulty getting out of bed.  Even though they were much more mobile than others at that weight, they felt very physically limited.

But I think the real reason has nothing to do with practicality.  They seemed well aware of their imminent mortality.  And they feared more that the other would die.  It's possible they slept this close in the hopes that they could sense the others distress, and in fear that their twin would die during the night. 

We know they were molested.  There's a possibility that they were molested in their beds at night.  Maybe they've slept together forever because it made them feel protected, and in the hope a molester would be discouraged.

• Love 10
54 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I've always thought that too!  I think it must be a repurposed building.  When I drive on our local commercial strips, I now look at car dealerships to compare with that building, and they so often have those large curved windows and so on.

It looks like a typical Houston strip mall office of which there are hundreds.

I've never watched this show before, but was drawn in by the promos for this episode.  I am still thinking of these women, and feel so invested in their journey.  I agree with others upthread that I would watch a show based only on these two.  Of course they're co-dependent, but they are really able to support each other.  I once watched a special on identical twins with severe EDs, and they had such a love/hate relationship.  They were competitive in the worst possible way.  There was such an unhealthy push and pull between the two.  Kandi and Brandi show no evidence of that behavior.

One of the things that really touched me was the way they responded to good news and praise.  Those little smiles and looking down.  They seemed so unused to being recognized positively.  I wish these girls would have a public facebook page, and could share there progress, and read praise from others.  It would help if they had a trusted friend read their messages first, and get rid of the nasty, hateful comments.

I'm not sure whose idea it was for them to have dogs, but it was a great idea.  They provide love and comfort outside of each other, and they force them outside their home every time they need to be walked.  They also need food that's not obtainable from fast food restaurants, which forced them into stores.  They're also excellent therapy animals for people with anxiety.

Side note - could Dr. Now's exam room be any more awkward?  Morbidly obese people forced to sit right inside the door so he can barely walk in.  And then he stands over the patients, rather than sitting with them.  I also notice that, like so many doctor's, he doesn't bother with antibacterial gel/foam before touching his patients.  Doctor's are the worst in this area.

2 hours ago, editorgrrl said:

I'm so glad to hear that they've got a trusted friend.  This gives them another person to rely on other than themselves and grandma.  Maybe as they get out and gain courage, they will each find their own best friend.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, hisbunkie said:

Bariatric doctors are doing more sleeves (VSG) these days because they find that long term RNY (by-pass) patients have more complications due to malabsorption issues. The numbers of rehospitalizations in sleeves is very, low and almost non existent years out, not so with the by-pass.  Although the by-pass remains the gold standard of Bariatric surgery, especially for those super morbidly obese the discussion continues.

Plus, the sleeve tends to stretch less than the pouch that is created from the bypass, thus the appetite suppressant part of the surgery tends to last longer.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

The medical literature that is available shows that for the super obese,  bariatric surgery is a more effective intervention than non-surgical treatments, both in the short term  and long term.  It leads to greater body weight loss in a shorter period of time, which leads to the quicker resolution of related health issues (e.g. diabetes, HBP, etc) . In the long term, studies that track patients over the course of 10 years showed that people who had the surgery tended to keep the weight off, while those with non surgical interventions tended to be less successful in  keeping the weight off.

Thank you for the thoughtful and well expressed answer :) I don't know anyone in real life that has had weight loss surgery. So I was genuinely curious why those who can lose substantial weight before surgery chose that option. But your explanation make sense! 

These two women are my favorite of all seasons. I hope they have them on an update show ?

• Love 3

Finally watched & it was very moving.  The experience no doubt had stretched them in so many ways, but in a lot of good ways. Hopefully they'll have healing with their mom & she'll make progress beating her own addiction.  She spent their childhoods feeding her addictions which is probably why she can't remember traumatic events. Maybe the experience will help her as well. If they end up having their own kids someday it will be invaluable to have that healing between all of them.

It was a good thing they were very ready for the weight loss, because that way they could support each other rather than impede progress. I could understand the doctor being concerned about that. I also understood him getting harsh about the 4lb loss, since one had heart issues & he really wanted both of them to stay serious & on track. He steps in & gets tough because those closest to the obese person usually cannot.

Their grandmother was great support. The visit scene in their home was staged since that was already obviously planned if they left just a week later. But it's great they have her. I agree the workout at the end was staged as well, but it looked like they had fun & were working through their anxieties.

The dogs were almost as adorable as my little one :) ; they will help with exercise. I'm sure the dogs will be happy to have owners who can walk more with them now.

I agree I'd love to see future updates on them.

• Love 5

Finally got around to watching the episode.  I cried through the whole thing practically.  I like these girls.  I admire how close they are and how much they help each other in the wake of a very troubled childhood.  Their mother should feel bad for what she put them through.  Being an addict is a choice.  If you choose that life, don't fuckin have kids!  Did they ever say what happened to their dad?

22 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Maybe this was addressed, but why didn't the twins live with their grandmother? She seemed to be very stable and loving.

The grandmother said that she was caring for their grandfather who was ill and that he couldn't go through the stress of having small children running about.  She said that if she knew how really bad their situation was, she would have taken them to live with her anyway.  I take it they lived in different states.

23 hours ago, Maizie131 said:

Why couldn't Dr. Now do gastric by-pass on her, but only gastric sleeve?  Did I miss something?

He didn't want to risk it.  As big as they were he was afraid their body wouldn't make it through the stress of it.

• Love 1

I'm watching the rerun tonight, they say it's super sized but I haven't noticed anything different, but I caught the scene where kandi was approved and she was just so genuinely happy it made me happy for her.  On some episodes it feels like they are literally thinking "score, the easy way out" but I'm not exactly sure why but I got a different impression with these two, they seem truly grateful for this second chance.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, OSM Mom said:

Yikes. The previews for the upcoming season!!  Was there really someone standing on the porch naked while someone hosed off their nether regions or was I hallucinating??

OMG!  That was a total wtf moment for me.  Why do that outside?   No!   Just no!   And someone fell off the back of a wagon or truck or something.   And somebody had a really gross looking infection going on.  I'm not sure I can watch that one.  I feel queasy thinking about it.  Yet, I know I won't be able to turn away.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, swankie said:

And someone fell off the back of a wagon or truck or something. 

It was the back of a golf cart.  That guy reminds me of another participant in the last few years, who was very unlikeable and demeaning to those around him.  I can't remember who the guy was, but I got the same unlikeable vibe from the golf cart.  We shall see.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, swankie said:

OMG!  That was a total wtf moment for me.  Why do that outside?   No!   Just no!   And someone fell off the back of a wagon or truck or something.   And somebody had a really gross looking infection going on.  I'm not sure I can watch that one.  I feel queasy thinking about it.  Yet, I know I won't be able to turn away.

Oh my, that poor person who looked like they had a fungus growing on them was something out of a horror show. 

The pictures of the twins when they were little girls made me so sad. The look in their eyes was sheer misery. It breaks my heart to think of what they must have gone through. 

I hope TLC continues to follow these two, I want to see how they progress. Wishing them nothing but the best. 

• Love 4

I wish nothing but the best for these two women.  I was moved in a way that only a few Intervention episodes hit me in the gut.  What a horror show their childhood was.  Being around their mother now  isn't a good thing.  She's trying to feed into or off of their success rather than cleaning herself up.  Get rid of her now!  And stay in Houston.  

After sitting through a few hours over two days of the TLC TRASH commercials, especially the TYLER PERRY TRASH, I just can't watch anything any longer involving TLC.  Every episode of every program is simply promoting TLC trash.  Really, more of the ignorant Duggars popping out more babies while they marry off a barely 18 year old clueless child ?????  More from the morbidly obese non dancer WT.  She is not bi nor pregnant, simply a horrible role model. One more episode of Kate Gosselin destroying her children for fame?  I've never understood the polygamy thrust into our faces.  Why? 

So, I refuse to even read anything more about TLC programming.  Hopefully, some of the followup episodes of 600+ will be wonderful. Hopefully Dr. Now saves a few more lost souls before he has to retire.  However, I won't watch nor DVR.  I AM DONE with TLC and their TRASH.  DONE.  

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Ocean Chick said:

Wow.  I've never seen such un-identical identical twins.  Even in their baby pics, before they gained weight, I could tell the difference between them.  With the weight gain the difference was even bigger.  Not fraternal then.  Mind blown.  Thanks.

I have identical twin grandsons and they have had a weight discrepancy from birth. It's just enough that one has always had a fuller face, and they look a bit different because of it, though both are "normal" weights. I think it was similar with Brandi and Kandi, although much exaggerated. 

• Love 3

Was it worth for her to die to get this surgery when she lost 150 pounds on her own? It's not like the surgery helps that much which is why he makes them lose weight first. Just because her heart was weak and she was recently in RENAL FAILURE. Her weight and medical history made it obvious that she should not get this surgery! It was a stupid decision and they almost lost her. This is why other doctors turn down people of this. I understand the reason for the surgery but she was not a candidate for it.  She had no pulse or blood pressure for 2 minutes- she was dead. I wish someone would have said when she was in a coma: maybe this was a mistake.

They said they were working but stopped working because they got so big. I wonder how they were paying the mortgage. It said they bought their home when they were 23, which was only 6 years earlier.

• Love 2

This was a good episode, and I was impressed by how they drove across (or down) the country, with no drama, and they seemed more able to take care of themselves than other smaller people, although I realize factors other than weight figure in mobility.
As to money, I wonder if their drug dealer father left a stash.  On The First 48, drug dealers always have big wads of cash.
When Kandi was trying to lose weight, while Brandi was recovering, she did do some things on her own, and maybe they'll both try some apart time.
I also worried about the dogs, and encourage people who live alone, or who always travel with spouse, to carry a "my pet is home alone" card in their wallet.
The super-sized episode, which wa the same length, didn't seem any different except for a few boxes of text, so I just erased it.

• Love 4
On 1/5/2017 at 11:37 AM, Ocean Chick said:

Not to be pedantic (but I totally am), those 2 were not identical twins, so did not start from a single cell that split.  They were 2 separate eggs that got fertilized at the same time. 

Do we know this? They certainly appeared identical to me.  

Either way, to those who say they were "normal" - I respectfully disagree; however they are certainly a product of the lousiest of childhoods ever and they do recognize how they got to where they are.  I think their co-dependency *is* a factor in their recovery; fortunately, they are both invested in getting more healthy. Otherwise I could see one saying "I'm anxious... I need to go get McDonald's" and dragging the other one down.  

The pictures of them as tiny girls with faces covered with cake and bottles hanging from their mouths (rarely a parent in the photo) were heartbreaking to me.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, notyrmomma said:

Oh, and there is no proof that the surgery directly caused Kandi's near death experience.  She got a blood clot that dislodged and went into her heart.  Blood clots can happen from sitting/laying down for a prolonged period of time and can dislodge at any time too.

It's well-known to medical providers that blood clots are a risk of surgery.  Usually after an orthopedic procedure, blood thinners are given to avoid this. Who's to say what the actual reason for Kandi's cardiac arrest was- it could simply have been the stress of anesthesia and surgery, or a blood clot she developed or had previously, or an innate heart problem that could have predisposed her to the event whether or not she had the surgery.

I don't recall hearing that she had renal failure.

Any surgeon knows that there are innate risks with any procedure. I've seen people who died of complications after a knee scope. But in the case of the morbidly obese, a good surgeon will weigh the risks vs the benefits. Is it worth the possible complications from anesthesia and the stress on the body to operate to reduce future risk of major heart problems, lung problems, joint destruction?  Asking a patient to lose weight before the weight loss procedure is pretty common; it shows the patient's ability to be compliant afterwards and reduces the risk slightly.  There is a lot of work to be done post-operatively even though bypass or sleeve surgery aids considerably in weight loss.

• Love 2

Brush with fame alert LOL. When the Grandma said she goes over from Pendleton to visit I about fell off my bed. Guess where I live? I'm trying to figure out who she is. I really hope Brandi & Kandi are doing well. Totally cheering them on. 

I FB stalked the twins and found their grandma - we have a mutual friend and she has another friend that works where I do. Small world!

• Love 5

Wow, what a sad life for two children!  Brandi and Candi's story was really moving to me, their caring for each other and practically raising one another since their babyhood was so poignant.  I was so glad that they have a loving and supportive grandmother.  You could really feel the weight of her guilt in not having known enough to have snatched them up and raised them herself despite her husband's health problems.   

My younger brother Phil and his wife Teresa are the owners of the Crossfit that was featured and I admit I was proud of Philip, because wysiwyg ... he is just that warm and friendly.  Without doing a big derail, they didn't pay to get onto the show, and what was filmed is actually very typical of what they do at their location.  Safety and Form are their biggest priorities.  They enjoy the prestige their competitive members bring to the gym, of course, and Teresa (never shown) is very big in that part of Crossfit herself, but their real passion honestly is the teaching part, and meeting people where they already are by assessing their needs then scaling and personalizing the WODs.  Without generalizing too much, I think the reason this class looks like mostly young male hardbodies (no complaints on the viewing side there!) is because their earlier 5 and 6 am classes are where more of their 'just folks' members attend, like moms trying to drop baby weight, seniors, people who are trying to get fit with pre-existing health or injury issues, and older sisters who have never done anything athletic but are trying something new after quitting a 17 year smoking habit :).  It looked like Brandi and Candi went to a later class to me, and those tend towards the more typical gym crowd. 

Anyway, 29 is still awful young.  I really hope they are able to drop the weight, because they have a lot of good years left to lead more normal and happier lives, and to hopefully discover how many other things there are to enjoy in life besides food. 

Edited by TxanGoddess
just grammar
  • Love 11
On 1/7/2017 at 7:23 PM, KateHearts said:

It's well-known to medical providers that blood clots are a risk of surgery.  Usually after an orthopedic procedure, blood thinners are given to avoid this. Who's to say what the actual reason for Kandi's cardiac arrest was- it could simply have been the stress of anesthesia and surgery, or a blood clot she developed or had previously, or an innate heart problem that could have predisposed her to the event whether or not she had the surgery.

I am 36 and have had around a dozen surgeries over the past 5 years. The risk of blood clots has been gone over with me extensively for each procedure. It's one of the reasons they give you those nice leg massagers (I always want to take them home with me) and they they encourage you to get up and move around ASAP post-op. When I had my brain surgery, I was up and walking to the bathroom while I was still in recovery-before I even went to my room. A nurse then came around to walk me through the hallways at least once every 3-4 hours. It's been that way for each procedure, except for my hysterectomy because there were complications (my uterus had ruptured, making it an emergency surgery) and I was unconscious for several days. While there might not have been direct "proof" that the surgery caused it, it's definitely a big risk. Of course, she could very well have had a clot pre-op, too. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, mamadrama said:

It's one of the reasons they give you those nice leg massagers (I always want to take them home with me) . . . 

When I had my knee replacement last year, I did bring the massagers home.  I had to ship the electric part back after a month, though.  

• Love 1
On 1/7/2017 at 2:21 PM, notyrmomma said:

Ok, here I go again because I think it bears repeating.  The surgery is the only way for someone who gets to this level.  They desperately need it to continue to lose weight and keep it off.  With proper motivation (i.e. you get to be on a reality TV show, get $100,000 or so of free medical care and your living expenses for a year paid), anyone *can* lose a large amount of weight.  But if you don't have the surgery and have no physical means to keep you from overeating, life starts to happen.  For instance, it's Christmas and you think, well, I'll just eat this one cookie, I can have one cheat day, right?  Then one cheat day turns into a cheat week, and all of a sudden, you've gained all your weight back - with interest!  Having a vertical sleeve gastrectomy ("VSG" - what the twins got, and yes, Penny got this procedure done too, but she is a freak of nature), if done properly, is like being on a diet that you can't cheat on.  

While Kandi was in a coma, notice that they didn't show Brandi shoveling donuts in her mouth while sitting at the hospital--and they would have shown it if she had done it.  Why?  Did she somehow muster the great will power to not use food to stuff her feelings overnight? NOPE!  She wasn't shoving donuts in her mouth because she couldn't.  Trust me!  Oh yeah, she could try, and I bet she did try it at least once (we all do!).  She'd probably get down 1/4 of a donut and either throw it up or have so much sharp pain in the center of her stomach that she had to sit buckled over for an hour (been there, done that!).  When Kandi was in that coma and Brandi had this look on her face... I imagine she was thinking...my other half is dying in the hospital and I can't even eat something to feel better, FML.

Oh, and there is no proof that the surgery directly caused Kandi's near death experience.  She got a blood clot that dislodged and went into her heart.  Blood clots can happen from sitting/laying down for a prolonged period of time and can dislodge at any time too.  The same thing could have happened to her getting out of bed in the morning. THANK GOD she was in the hospital when it happened or she would have died.  I'm surprised they didn't put a screen to prevent the movement of clots like they have done for others on this show.

I am also always curious on how these folks can afford to live, let alone get fast food every day.  I work full time at a really well paying job and sometimes it is tough for us to eat out once a month, let alone every day.

I understand all the reasons that they do this surgery which I said in my post. I've actually written all the details in your explanation to me to other people. I get it. You didn't need to repeat it. I totally agree.

My point was that in her case, she was not healthy enough to go through with it. She had several other health issues and another health problem about a year before that - I forget exactly what it was- but she wound up with renal failure. It may have been in the notes on the Super Sized. They listed all the terrible close calls with her health that she had gone through.  And sure enough the surgery almost killed her. It was too risky for her.  If they had said you have a 50/50 of dying do you still think they would have done it? I think she had a risk like that, very high. Her health was a mess.

I also have an Aunt who had it and she ate anyway and stretched it and never lost an ounce. It is not a magic bullet- they still need to have control over their diet. We have seen this over and over too people who gain after the surgery.

Edited by operalover
  • Love 2
On 1/5/2017 at 3:50 PM, RedheadZombie said:

Side note - could Dr. Now's exam room be any more awkward?  Morbidly obese people forced to sit right inside the door so he can barely walk in.  And then he stands over the patients, rather than sitting with them.  I also notice that, like so many doctor's, he doesn't bother with antibacterial gel/foam before touching his patients.  Doctor's are the worst in this area.

That's obviously just the setup for filming for the episode. Why they can't find a larger room in that place, I have no idea - maybe there are none? Or maybe they want it as doctor-officey as possible but exam rooms are small.  First you have 2-3 people (patient plus family) in that room, that is probably the best place to have them all sit to be filmed easily.  Then you have Dr. Now.   Then you probably have 2-3 ADDITIONAL behind the scenes people in that tiny tiny room.  The camera guy, probably a sound guy with a boom mic and then a producer.  That's 5-7 people in a tiny exam room.  So yes you need to cram the 2-4 people who are filming in the most open space in the room, which is generally near the door.   You can tell when Dr. Now enters the room he's very careful to stay within a certain space - because the rest of the room is probably filled with other people lol 

• Love 3

With regards to losing weight before having the surgery, it seems like most of the people who have been featured on this show don't "get" how close they are to death. They don't fully understand that their weight is very close to killing them, and how unhealthy they are as a result. Most people just look at the initial weight loss as a test they have to pass before the doctor will be a nice guy and let them get the surgery. It seems like Brandi and Kandi really took it seriously and understood that this is about their health, not about a test or a punishment  (withholding surgery because you "failed the test").

• Love 8

I feel for Brandi and Kandi.  There is a fascinating story to be told here.  Unfortunately this show doesn't tell it.  SO much time is spent on the now stereotypical talking heads.  We've heard the same lines from every person on this show.  The show would be much better if they skipped the "I have to do this," "I need to lose the weight," . . . comments and had the individuals talk more about their unique experiences.  I feel like we could do plug and play for 90% of what they say.  The same goes for Dr. Now, "(patient) is near death."  It would help if he examined them carefully before he made this pronouncement.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

With regards to losing weight before having the surgery, it seems like most of the people who have been featured on this show don't "get" how close they are to death. They don't fully understand that their weight is very close to killing them, and how unhealthy they are as a result. Most people just look at the initial weight loss as a test they have to pass before the doctor will be a nice guy and let them get the surgery. It seems like Brandi and Kandi really took it seriously and understood that this is about their health, not about a test or a punishment  (withholding surgery because you "failed the test").

I believe the twins are some of the very few people on the show who knew they had to turn their life around and change their eating to succeed. Sure, they didn't realize how hard it was going to be and how restrictive the diet, but they were prepared to change. So very refreshing. I'm rooting for them.

A lot of the people on the show believe the surgery is an easy fix or that it will magically make them lose weight while they continue to eat the same crap.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Nutella said:

A lot of the people on the show believe the surgery is an easy fix or that it will magically make them lose weight while they continue to eat the same crap.

And those on the show are NOT paying Dr. Now out of pocket, nor do most of them work so that THEIR health insurance premiums are paying for it.  Most of those shown on "My 600-Pound Life" are unemployed, drawing welfare and/or SS disability, and their spouses and/or family members are being paid as caretakers.  So the enablers drive to the store with their food stamps, buy junk food, and take it back to stuff the faces of their meal ticket even fuller.  Dr. Now is making money off the show . . . the "patients" are not paying for their surgery.  And when Dr. Now puts them into the hospital to control their eating, those expenses are likely being picked up by taxpayers.  

Sorry - this is a real sore point with me.  My brother needs to lose quite a bit of weight (at 77), and when the doctor told him he needed to lose weight, his first comment was, "Oh good.  Will YOU approve me for gastric bypass?  None of my other doctors will, so my insurance won't pay for it."  The doctor's jaw dropped and he said, "Gastric bypass is the last thing you need.  I have a nutritionist on staff; I want you to meet with her, and then lose weight by your own actions, not a surgeon's."  My brother is on SS due to his age, and because of his low income, his insurance costs him nothing.  His favorite hobbies are working crossword puzzles and going to doctors.  Both cost him very little out of pocket.  

/rant

• Love 3
10 hours ago, AZChristian said:

And those on the show are NOT paying Dr. Now out of pocket, nor do most of them work so that THEIR health insurance premiums are paying for it.  Most of those shown on "My 600-Pound Life" are unemployed, drawing welfare and/or SS disability, and their spouses and/or family members are being paid as caretakers.  So the enablers drive to the store with their food stamps, buy junk food, and take it back to stuff the faces of their meal ticket even fuller.  Dr. Now is making money off the show . . . the "patients" are not paying for their surgery.  And when Dr. Now puts them into the hospital to control their eating, those expenses are likely being picked up by taxpayers.  

Sorry - this is a real sore point with me.  My brother needs to lose quite a bit of weight (at 77), and when the doctor told him he needed to lose weight, his first comment was, "Oh good.  Will YOU approve me for gastric bypass?  None of my other doctors will, so my insurance won't pay for it."  The doctor's jaw dropped and he said, "Gastric bypass is the last thing you need.  I have a nutritionist on staff; I want you to meet with her, and then lose weight by your own actions, not a surgeon's."  My brother is on SS due to his age, and because of his low income, his insurance costs him nothing.  His favorite hobbies are working crossword puzzles and going to doctors.  Both cost him very little out of pocket.  

/rant

The show actually pays for the surgery.   I heard this from someone who knows a person that was featured. I am sure this is why most of the subjects are pretty low income.   it's a chance at free surgery.

• Love 1
On 1/11/2017 at 11:36 AM, AZChristian said:

Dr. Now is making money off the show . . . the "patients" are not paying for their surgery.  And when Dr. Now puts them into the hospital to control their eating, those expenses are likely being picked up by taxpayers.  

Echoing momof2boys, the show pays for their hospital care, not Medicaid. I don't have any reason to resent my tax dollars going to someone in medical need (which they people clearly have). I'm not going to judge the nature of their illness - it's an addiction brought on by any number of mitigating factors like any other addiction - familial, circumstantial, biological. Just because they're poor doesn't mean they're not entitled to medical treatment. 

On 1/13/2017 at 2:42 PM, Nutella said:

Yes I don't think it's the taxpayers paying for it. Most people are from out of state anyway and I think medicaid is a state thing.

It's very difficult to get Medicaid to cover an out of state cost, if not impossible. When I was pregnant around 10 years ago, I was on Medicaid. In the middle of the pregnancy I needed surgery and couldn't have it done in my state. (My condition is rare and there weren't any neurosurgeons in my state who were skilled in that particular area.) I had to drive 2 hours into Ohio to have it done at a special surgery center that specializes in what I needed. Although doctors on both sides of the state line appealed Medicaid for me, stating that I literally needed the surgery and could only get it at this certain place, I was denied. Ended up paying for it out of pocket. It cost as much as our house.