Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Brandi and Kandi's Story

• Start Topic

On 1/5/2017 at 10:37 AM, Ocean Chick said:

Not to be pedantic (but I totally am), those 2 were not identical twins, so did not start from a single cell that split.  They were 2 separate eggs that got fertilized at the same time.  The only time I was concerned about their sharing a bed was when I had the thought that maybe the bed couldn't hold that much weight at one time.  And in the future, if they DO decide they want to date and have a life outside of their own company, they will have to learn to have their own bedrooms at some point.

I thought they were identical.  

Did anyone else note the massive continuity error in the hospital heart failure part? When Kandi codes the staff run to her room and Brandi is crying 'what's happening to my sister' with her hair down, yet as the team take kandi from the room in the next shot Brandi's hair is pulled up into a bun. No way did she stop to do her hair in the middle of a code!

• Love 5
On 1/4/2017 at 10:04 PM, jacksgirl said:

aliya,  Dr. Now intended to do gastric bypass on Brandi, but during the surgery commented something about the lack of room (?) and did gastric sleeve.  With Kandi, he did not even try bypass, just did the sleeve.

I was scheduled to get a gastric bypass, but once they "got in there" they found my liver was MONSTER SIZED and opted to do the gastric sleeve instead. This occurred on May 6/2016. Things have worked out for the best for me - I'm down to 213 from 331! All that to say, it's a good alternative.

Along with the rest of this board, I'm forever rooting for Brandi and Kandi! :)

• Love 20

In reference to the Medicaid questions. I wonder if one o the reasons the patients move to Texas is to apply for Medicaid there. I realize they want to be near the doctor, but, it might also explain why they all move there is to have Medicaid cover their medical bills.  

I recall that the twins said that they had worked at a department store. I can't imagine how they did that, considering their size, but, even with that salary, how could they have afforded their rent, utilities, car payment, car insurance, taxes and tags, etc.  I just don't get it.  It appeared she had a pretty nice mini van.  

I recall that the twins said that they had worked at a department store. I can't imagine how they did that, considering their size, but, even with that salary, how could they have afforded their rent, utilities, car payment, car insurance, taxes and tags, etc.  I just don't get it.  It appeared she had a pretty nice mini van.  

I think they work at Wal-Mart, and they have for a long time.  With the two of them living together and sharing all of their expenses, I have no doubt that they could have paid for all that stuff.  And Wal-Mart does have a health insurance plan, despite what some people think. My cousin (who is single) has worked at Wal-Mart for many years and she does just fine.

Anyway, what a great episode.  I'm so happy for these ladies.  They really took responsibility and did everything the doctor said.  I hope we get to see an update on them. 

As for them being identical or not- "identical" doesn't always mean, well, "identical."  Identical means they were in the same sac.  How much they look alike depends on when the fertilized egg splits.  My boys have some subtle differences (one is bigger, his face is rounder, eyes are a slightly different shape).  But they are still considered identical.

Edited by 88Keys
  • Love 2
On January 4, 2017 at 9:38 PM, Armchair Critic said:

I knew she wasn't going to die or be brain damaged because this show in a way is an advertisement for Dr. Now and that would scare people off.

But the reality is that she ended up in that situation not due to her bad heart, but because she refused to get up and move after the surgery. Dr. Now said at one point the inactivity caused the clot that broke loose once Brandi made her start moving finally. My gastric sleeve surgeon basically stated this is the most common type of complication he sees, and that it was so frustrating because it was totally preventable if the patient just moved. Dr. Now might actually be able to use this to scare his lazy patients into moving.

On January 15, 2017 at 6:38 AM, Mrs Shibbles said:

I thought they were identical.  

I thought they must be fraternal until I saw Kandi in the ICU with her hair down and natural. That was the first time I realized they might look alike. I think Kandi purposely slicks her hair into a ponytail most of the time so they at least look a little different. Either that or TLC asked them to do that to make it easier for viewers.

• Love 1
On 1/5/2017 at 1:53 PM, editorgrrl said:

Brandi and Kandi Dreier are now 30 years old, and they're identical twins. Their best friend and roommate filled out the application for them to be on the show.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2016/dec/28/my-600-lb-life-features-local-twins/

That was fascinating!  The show producers solicited THEM.  I bet they got more payment/help than most.  That could explain why they didn't show the grueling trip to Houston - the producers made it easy.  Also surprising - they had a roommate?

I sure liked these gals.  They seem like such lost souls.  More than any other show participants, I really hope for their success.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Trees said:

That was fascinating!  The show producers solicited THEM.  I bet they got more payment/help than most.  That could explain why they didn't show the grueling trip to Houston - the producers made it easy.  Also surprising - they had a roommate?

I sure liked these gals.  They seem like such lost souls.  More than any other show participants, I really hope for their success.

If you watch the preparations for the move, they only brought with them what they could bring in their car.  So the moving expense stipend mentioned by others was probably spent on the minimal furnishings needed in Houston.   Since this program is beyond low budget, I suspect they spent their pittance wisely.  As for the roommate, that would explain why they slept in the same room in the same bed.

My biggest worry about your lost souls (one of my favorite phrases)  is that they brought their mother back into their lives.  Not a good thing.

• Love 4
On January 5, 2017 at 6:36 AM, notyrmomma said:

Random comment: was I the only one who was worried about who would care for the dogs while they were going through all their testing/surgery/ICU/etc? LOL

When they first arrived at Dr. Now's office, one of them had a dog on her lap, but then both of them and the grandmother went into the office. I thought surely they're not leaving the dog alone in the car in hot Houston?! When they all came out it was dark. I was pretty happy to see the dog alive and well the next day.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:28 PM, Trees said:

They seem like such lost souls.  More than any other show participants, I really hope for their success.

I just rewatched this, and liked that Kandi was starting to do things by herself, and enjoy it, while Brandi was recuperating.
But Brandi never did that that I saw, since Kandi was so sick, and so she didn't leave the hospital much.
I do hope that they both get a little apart time.
I really hope there'll be an updated episode.

I'm watching the show now (using this holiday to take a mental health day since I worked tomorrow and yesterday). Brandi and Kandi were dealt a bad hand in life, given everything they've been through they are doing exceptionally well.