Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Disconnection

• Start Topic

Looking forward to the shit show. I was a huge fan of Leah starting back when she had guest appearances on Who's the Boss and into the spin off show (Living Dolls) with an unknown Halle Berry. Years later when I learned she was a Scientologist, I was horrified that she would even involve herself in that mess, but learned her Mother was into that first, and it trickles down. I wish her the best. This will be a hard watch.

• Love 9

Looking forward to the shit show. I was a huge fan of Leah starting back when she had guest appearances on Who's the Boss and into the spin off show (Living Dolls) with an unknown Halle Berry. Years later when I learned she was a Scientologist, I was horrified that she would even involve herself in that mess, but learned her Mother was into that first, and it trickles down. I wish her the best. This will be a hard watch.

How about her appearance on Saved By The Bell as Zachs girlfriend??? She was practically born into scientology. It seems once you begin with them it all seems well and good. By the time you figure out what nut jobs this "religion" is you've" already invested too much of yourself and your money to leave. It's rather scarey. I adore Leah.

• Love 4

Reading Remini's book led me to Scobee's book and HOLY SHIT if they convey even a third of what that lady endured it will be enough of a shit-show to hook lookey-loos (ME) and a good enough happy ending to maybe coax some people out of Scientology for good.

• Love 15

Sadly, the faithful are forbidden to watch. But maybe people who are considering joining will be put off.

I'm interested to hear from some non-celebrity parishioners. In all my 60+ decades I've never met one Scientologist or known anyone who knew one, so don't have a sense of what their daily religious life is like. I know they also give a lot of money (relatively) to the church and have in some cases bankrupted themselves because of it, which is crazy on its own.

The most recent 2008 American Religious Identification Survey* estimates that 25K people in the U.S. are Scientologists. I rummaged around the Scientology church locator and unless someone lives in a smallish town or rural area, there appears to be ready access. There are six within 30-90 minutes of me, which kind of seems like a lot for so few members.

* This gave me a chuckle, in a "the company we keep" sort of way -- there are too few Scientologists to warrant a separate line on the survey's results so they're grouped under "New Religious Movements and Other Religions: Scientology, New Age, Eckankar, Spiritualist, Unitarian-Universalist, Deist, Wiccan, Pagan, Druid, Indian Religion, Santeria, Rastafarian."

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 5

I could have watched this show if it was in for 10 hrs.   One hour wasn't enough.    I like Leah and I give her a lot of credit.   If you haven't read her book, you should.  I couldn't put it down.  HBO also did a documentary on it a few years back   There is actually a Scientology forum on the site under "HBO Documentaries"    If I find it will paste it   

I think it's a scary cult, but it's always fascinated me.   I'm definitely in for the series.  

• Love 23
9 hours ago, MissT said:

Here's the link.   Hopefully I did the right.  

If you can see this documentary, do!   It provides a broader background of Scientology.  I worked with a Scientologist in New York and she was nice enough but kept trying to get me to visit the "Church"    

• Love 5

For some weird reason I've been reading a lot of Scientology exposes in the last few weeks, without even knowing this series was coming. I'm hooked. The stories coming out of Sea Org especially sound ridiculous, but they all fit the same pattern.

Did anybody else go to the A&E site to read Scientology's letters? Good lord. Do they really think this helps them look sane and reasonable? It's just a further sign of how far gone the people running the "church" are, that they think anyone could read these kinds of letters and think that this looks like a normal, positive organization that should be treated like any other religion instead of the creepy, controlling, abusive cult that they are. I almost wonder if the letters themselves aren't a cry for help from within Sea Org. 

• Love 14
17 minutes ago, Kareny said:

For some weird reason I've been reading a lot of Scientology exposes in the last few weeks, without even knowing this series was coming. I'm hooked. The stories coming out of Sea Org especially sound ridiculous, but they all fit the same pattern.

Did anybody else go to the A&E site to read Scientology's letters? Good lord. Do they really think this helps them look sane and reasonable? It's just a further sign of how far gone the people running the "church" are, that they think anyone could read these kinds of letters and think that this looks like a normal, positive organization that should be treated like any other religion instead of the creepy, controlling, abusive cult that they are. I almost wonder if the letters themselves aren't a cry for help from within Sea Org. 

I had the same reaction when Leah Remini did her 20/20 interview and they had video of people from the church dropping off items to discredit her.  It just makes them look unbalanced.

I haven't watched yet (I fell asleep early last night!) but I'm looking forward to it.

I'm so excited for this! It's on my DVR since I couldn't watch last night. Damn tornadoes. I've read Leah's book and many others on Scientology and have seen the documentary. I've had a fascination with it since I lived in Clearwater in my early 90's (I was fresh out of college then). Driving through downtown seeing all these people dressing in military garb is just downright creepy. I always tried to get away from the Ft. Harrison Hotel area quickly. LOL.

• Love 4

I read Leahs book so learned nothing new but still enjoyed it. I watched in bed on the brink of sleep so didn't put my glasses on to read the sceeen. 

Did they say the woman with stage 4 cancer had died? Ot was there anythung else note worthy?

Edited by wings707
14 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Did they say the woman with stage 4 cancer had died? Ot was there anythung else note worthy?

It did say that she passed away.  IIRC, it said she died two weeks after Leah had recorded her story.

• Love 3

I immensely enjoyed this program but this will be a strictly DVR show. Wayyyyyyy too many commercial breaks. I thought TWD was bad. I hope good will come out of it and major kudos to Leah and the others getting these stories out.

• Love 1

I never had much interest in Leah or Scientology, but I was flipping channels last night and decided to tune in. Well, within minutes, I was riveted by this show - riveted, I tell you!  I will be tuning in each week - and adding Going Clear to my "must-watch" list as well.  I'm sure I'll be reading the books soon too. 

This shit is absolutely bonkers.  I just....  can't wrap my head around it.  Speaking of bonkers, I read where Leah did an AMA on Reddit the other day.  Somebody asked her how much she would estimate that she'd invested in the church over the years.  Her response: "millions."  I mean... whoa.

I was saddened to hear that Amy's mother had passed away, but very happy to know that they'd "re-connected" before her illness and death.

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 8

There should be a permanent billboard outside the Sea Org building in Clearwater that gives a number to call for anyone who wants to escape. It's criminal that people are being held against their will.

Classic technique for abusers to make their victims believe it's their fault and that they deserve the punishment.

• Love 18

Based on everything I've read and watched about Scientology including this series it reminds me of the Gothardism that the Duggars and their ilk follow. Both were created by one man (Hubbard and Bill Gothard) and demand subservience and sending kids away from their parents to indoctrinate them further.

Kudos to Leah for doing this series and making it not about herself. I think the reason why she can do this is her entire family left Scientology, not just her.

• Love 24

I've known about CO$ for years, so there were no surprises for me.  I was skeptical about Mike Rinder's participation.  He always comes off angry and bitter, which is understandable.  But he always talks about what was done to him, while dismissing his own destructive actions as being his job.  I liked him here.  He seemed really affected by Amy Scobee's story, to the point that I wondered if the same was done to him, or if he actually had done it.  Then he threw it out there that they could expose the rapist (and no Amy, it doesn't sound like statutory rape, it sounds like rape), and I almost cheered.  Like Leah, he has no fucks left to give and it shows.

I was a little disappointed that Amy's and her husband's escape was made to sound less than dangerous.  People are hunted down.  People are forced to return.  John Travolta's handler had to escape to take her severely neglected (by under-staffed, over-worked CO$ babysitters)  baby to the ER.  She arranged for a friend to do a drive by, and she sprinted to the car while she was being persued.  They then found her and brought her back.  And there are many non-crazy people who think the "church" has killed escapees, or even high-level people like Shelly Miscavige. 

I also hope they get into the severely coerced, if not forced, abortions in the Sea Org.  Originally, Sea Org could have children, but they had to be in almost 24/7 daycare, and received very poor care.  During that time, there were still some being forced to have abortions - and some women were not even allowed to use a phone to call and consult with their husbands.  The Sea Org are supposedly revered by parishioners - listen to Tom Cruise rave about them.  But they are not much more than slaves.  The abuse has been documented at length, and even by Miscavige's niece, Jenna.  Typically the higher ranking people are not required to sacrifice their children to a childless life, and a billion years servitude.  Guess that shows how much Miscavige does NOT value family.  Let his niece be Sea Org, has sent his wife to the hole indefinitely, or to her death, and when learning his father looked to be having a heart attack, Miscavige told the man following his father - if he dies he dies.  He's a monster.

• Love 19

I'm glad this show exists, and I also agree that its message seems to be less directed towards people who already wouldn't touch the "church" with a 10-foot pole, and more toward people who have family or friends in the "church," or are in the "church" themselves, and who may be giving up hope of ever having their family back. The message seems to be to fight the "church" for what it has taken from you, and to reassure people that there are others in their position who are fighting as well, and winning.

I'm not really familiar with Remini or her work, and so far this show has not made me a fan of her as an actress. I definitely believe her, though, that she is doing the show out of a genuine desire to help people, and out of a sense of responsibility due to her work bringing people IN to the "church" back when she was a member. There were a few reactions she had, though, to people's stories, that just kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Like she was making a show of being sympathetic. Even though I don't doubt that she really felt that way, putting a camera on yourself forces you to curate your own actions and reactions in a way that doesn't always feel genuine on this side of the screen. I get that it must be REALLY hard to do a show like this, where you have to find the line between playing up (maybe lightly sensationalizing?) certain events enough to draw in viewers to communicate the intended message, and exploiting other people's suffering to drive up ratings to ensure your own personal success (I imagine that's how people like Dr. Phil happen). When your income/career depends upon other people's tragedy attracting viewers, you're not in a comfortable position. But so far she's doing an admirable job of not putting herself in the centre of things, and of presenting events honestly and letting the truth speak for itself. I hope she can keep it up.

I'm looking forward to more of this, for sure.

• Love 6

I may be in the minority on this, but every time Leah recounts TomKat's wedding debacle, it seems like she was being a horrible/possibly drunk guest.

It's perfectly fine to be concerned about your MIA friend (Shelly Miscavage) but it wasn't like someone could suddenly produce her out of thin air in an Italian castle, if she made a huge spectacle out of it.  I just have this weird feeling like she felt she had finally made it to the Scientology A-list, TomKat's wedding would be her unofficial inductee ceremony, and the "church" invited her friend JLo (out of nowhere) and Leah felt like her thunder was stolen.  Whatever ridiculous farce that wedding was, Leah's invitation required her to just sit, eat, clap, toast, be a good cultist and STFU.  She had an option not to attend.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

That's what cracked me up about the statements they were issuing.  They're supposedly this professional organization, but their letters and releases to the press are like, "So and so is a liar, a sexual deviant, a degenerate gambler and a no good louse..."  Who writes this stuff for them? lol

I sometimes wonder if Donald Trump is their lawyer.

I was a bit apprehensive about Mike Rinder's participation because his bad mouthing the church has always come off as a disgruntled employee who wants to stick it to Miscavage, and couldn't really care less about the people he was "sticking up" for. It will probably be awkward interviewing some of the people who left the church before him, because he was basically the lead harasser. Leah's given her "I had no idea this was going on!" side of the story, and I hope they address the role Mike Rinder played in the dark side of the leadership.

• Love 8

I like that the show will explore a bit of the celebrity side of Scientology as you know those parishioners are being sold something different than other members and those members can much more easily leave and still don't.

Leah is such a hardass that it is surprising how she bought into it all.  I have read some books that include the process and I can see how at the early levels it seems more like therapy and improving yourself.  But then it gets a bit crazy that it is hard to believe strong willed people continue.

ETA my understanding of the "where's Shelley" was that Leah asked that but then sent in one of those papers the parishioners do when they have an ethical dilemma and that is what caused the real problem.  

All I know is from my reading that Scientology seems like a lot of work, all the auditing and reporting.  I am way too lazy for that.

Edited by fountain
  • Love 13
33 minutes ago, fountain said:

celebrity side of Scientology as you know those parishioners are being sold something different than other members and those members can much more easily leave

The celebrity side has been explored to death.  We know who the celebrities are and they are not going to tell all unless they leave. 

I watched a re-run of Leah's interview she did back when she was promoting her book and maybe 1% of the church members are "celebrities".  They stay for their own reasons.  It's the average Joes who get sucked in, bring in family and extended family, spend money they don't have on sessions and "donations" and they are broke or indebted and have signed billion year contracts (that they don't know are not legally binding) hoping for eternal salvation.  It will be the stories of real folks that may make a difference. 

• Love 7

It's become a cliche to say that Leah is brash, but ... she really is. She's loud-mouthed and pushy to the extent that it got her fired from The Talk. It's easy to believe she was being -- as others saw it -- disruptive at the wedding ceremony and reception. Her personality can be a turn-off but I think her intentions in this are pure.

Spoiler for material in Leah's book:

Spoiler

As I recall, she admitted she was late to the ceremony and didn't follow protocol as far as J-Lo asking to her sit with them instead of at her assigned table, but Leah's behavior seems pretty typical for her. In other words, she probably didn't act any differently at the wedding than she normally does. She did submit a church report about things she saw at the reception, which started her ultimate downhill slide. She was sent to Florida for more than 2 months of daily auditing classes (that she had to pay for!) until she finally retracted everything in her report.

For anyone who might not be aware, the anti-Scientology website The Bunker has interesting articles and news.

All I know is from my reading that Scientology seems like a lot of work, all the auditing and reporting. I am way too lazy for that.

I'm unwilling to mortgage my house beyond what it's worth and give that money to Scientology!

I've been thinking about disconnection, which is devastating for the affected, but there are other religions that also practice shunning. Not that that makes it any more acceptable, but to my mind it's far from the worst thing Scientology does.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, TheVoicesToldMeTo said:

I may be in the minority on this, but every time Leah recounts TomKat's wedding debacle, it seems like she was being a horrible/possibly drunk guest.

It's perfectly fine to be concerned about your MIA friend (Shelly Miscavage) but it wasn't like someone could suddenly produce her out of thin air in an Italian castle, if she made a huge spectacle out of it.  I just have this weird feeling like she felt she had finally made it to the Scientology A-list, TomKat's wedding would be her unofficial inductee ceremony, and the "church" invited her friend JLo (out of nowhere) and Leah felt like her thunder was stolen.  Whatever ridiculous farce that wedding was, Leah's invitation required her to just sit, eat, clap, toast, be a good cultist and STFU.  She had an option not to attend.

Just wanted to say that JLo's dad used to be a scientologist, so maybe that is the connection.

• Love 1

Admittedly, I'm fascinated by all kinds of cults and the power they have over their members ("parisioners"?).  I've read a lot about Scientology, as it's probably the most egregious example of a money-grubbing bunch of brainwashers hiding from the IRS as a "religion" and profiting from what amounts to slave labor.

I found the show very compelling.  Leah was never on my radar (haven't watched anything she's been in commercially), but she is very direct in saying she bought into this fiction from an early age through indoctrinated parents and I can see why she stayed as long as she did.

Like many others, I can never accept Scientology "celebrities" in acting roles.  I can only see them as demented, self-serving idiots no matter what they're playing.  That includes their mini-monarch Cruise.

• Love 8

I had never heard of Amy Scobee but I immediately wondered (especially when her dad was wearing a NASA ballcap) if she was related to astronaut Dick Scobee that was killed on Challenger.  Turns out that she is his niece, which I thought was an interesting side note.

I think that when Shannon Doherty beats cancer (which she will), she and Leah should be cast as sisters in a movie.  Both of them have moxie and no problem telling it like it is.

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Love 12
21 hours ago, Carolina Girl said:

If you can see this documentary, do!   It provides a broader background of Scientology.  I worked with a Scientologist in New York and she was nice enough but kept trying to get me to visit the "Church"    

Read the book--it goes into so much more detail.  The people at the top of this cult are hidious.

• Love 7

The money thing of Scientology seems to be higher than many church's but I know lots of people who are required to provide 10% of their income to the Church.  The church asks for tax returns and determines the payments required the following year.  If you cannot give 10% there is a lot of pressure put in you and often you may do work for the church.  It isn't as extreme as Scientology but my husband's grand parents bankrupted themselves for the Catholic Church.

I also am fascinated by the lengths people go to support any type of religious order and how the higher ups force them there.  Scientology is especially erroneous in this area and it is in the spotlight because of celebrities.

Edited by fountain
  • Love 6

Wow.  Scary shit.  So, the sea org members give up everything, time , family etc, live and breath Scientology , do they get paid? Is it like a job? 

Go Leah! I am proud of her for exposing this.  What kind of "church" promotes separation from family and all this auditing and lie detector bill shit? Crazy! 

• Love 3

20/20 aired their interview with Leah again. Get it on demand if you missed it.  It fills in some blanks that have not been covered yet in her docu series.  She talks more about Toms wedding, Voicestoldmeto. 

• Love 3

I thought there was more to the TomKat wedding story, like something about Suri too.

The story i want more of is Leah's mom. What was she up to? What was she thinking after the second husband left her with a baby? Why was Leah the hero of the family? Seems like it would make an interesting episode.

• Love 2

I'm curious about Amy Scobee's remark that she wanted/tried to leave Scientology the right way, and wonder what that entails. I assume the process is different for higher-ups and Sea Org members than regular parishioners.

• Love 1

I grew up near Hemet, CA, my mother still lives there, and we would drive by the center out there and you can see just a little bit of it poking out from the trees but those aerial shots were amazing. I didn't realize it was like that. Meanwhile, there's dairy farms all around it. Now I'm wondering if the smell comes from the cows or if it's just the bullshh emanating from the compound.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Sgt Pepper said:

Wow.  Scary shit.  So, the sea org members give up everything, time , family etc, live and breath Scientology , do they get paid? Is it like a job? 

I could swear I read somewhere that they get "paid" like thirty cents a day or something insane and prisoner-like.  As long as you're there working, they give you food and shelter and meet all your basic needs, but should you ever want to "blow," you have no money to make it happen.

31 minutes ago, lordonia said:

I'm curious about Amy Scobee's remark that she wanted/tried to leave Scientology the right way, and wonder what that entails. I assume the process is different for higher-ups and Sea Org members than regular parishioners.

Again, I read something about this, and I wish I could remember all the details, but there's basically a "right" way in terms of informing them that you want to leave, but promising you'll do it quietly and never talk bad about the Church to anyone.  I think they even make you sign something to that effect.  But, of course, since people like Amy Scobee know so many of the dirty little secrets, they are never allowed to leave, no matter how they do it, without someone following them, hounding them and trying to harass them into returning.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Maire said:

I thought there was more to the TomKat wedding story, like something about Suri too.

The story i want more of is Leah's mom. What was she up to? What was she thinking after the second husband left her with a baby? Why was Leah the hero of the family? Seems like it would make an interesting episode.

Leahs  book talks about that. it is worth reading. I am not sure she will repeat much of her book in this series.  She mentioned  this was not about her. She wants to focus on others; she is not alone in her experience is the idea, I think.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Admittedly, I'm fascinated by all kinds of cults and the power they have over their members ("parisioners"?).

LOL! Love this. We should change it to "parisoners", though. Much more accurate in conveying the idea of "parishioner"/"prisoner".

• Love 5

I'm alllll in. My Great-grandparents are from Clearwater. At some time they left. I remember reading her in her Orbit and seeing it written that she belonged to this religion. I recently asked my Dad about it and he had no idea.   

• Love 3