Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Fall

• Start Topic

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 2:35 PM, Kromm said:

Someone else may have pointed this out @Hookian so pardon me if this feels like piling on, but the exact opposite is true.

Whether or not they plan to come back for a Netflix S2, unless the Palladinos are lying, those were always the intended final four words for the entire Gilmore franchise. Meaning they always intended Rory's story to end in a forced imperfect parallel to her mother's situation.

I don't appear to have the same kind of problem with it many do. I didn't mind The Sopranos stopping in the middle of a sentence and implying all kinds of things and not telling people for sure, and similarly I don't mind having to guess at what comes next for Rory.

I absolutely agree!  This was the way it should be.

I also appreciated the Sopranos ending, even though some people hated it.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 4:02 PM, RoyRogersMcFreely said:

Oh man, since somebody mentioned Roseanne now all I can think of is that finale. Maybe we'll find out we've been watching Rory's book play itself out all along.

Maybe Rory will reveal in her book that Logan died before the last season, but she couldn't take it, so she wrote that he was a cheater...

(wink)

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 4:58 PM, cuddlingcrowley said:

I'm surprised to say this, but all the cameos actually worked for me? Why NOT use familiar faces for minor characters? I loved it.

I loved the Peter Krause cameo.  I love that he and Lauren Graham are together in real life.  I really enjoyed his scene.  

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 6:55 PM, Daisy said:

I didn't like the Sookie squish in (because it really felt that Melissa forgot how to play Sookie).

Yeah that was NOT Sookie.  She must have forgotten how to play her.  I feel like Lauren Graham also noticed that, and was weirded out.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 10:25 PM, Eyes High said:

The LDB caper clearly did work to cheer Rory up, but Logan bitterly remarked that it "didn't work," and the implication is that it didn't work because Rory was still giving him the heave ho and refusing to resume her position as his side piece.

And although this issue wasn't raised in the quoted posts above, while I'm on the subject, I also call bullshit on the idea that the LDB "love Rory." They don't. Just as if Logan really cared about her, he wouldn't treat her the way he treats her in the revival, if the LDB really cared about her, they'd be appalled that Logan was carrying on an affair with her despite having no intention of leaving Odette, would be disgusted at the idea of being recruited into a campaign to get Rory to change her mind after breaking up with Logan, and would refuse to participate in any attempt of Logan's to get her back as his side piece. They don't really care about Rory, of course, at least as a person as opposed to some kind of favourite toy, so they don't do any of that and cheerfully enable Logan's bullshit just as he's always cheerfully enabled theirs. I've always said that the fact that Logan was BFF with such garbage individuals spoke incredibly poorly of him, and it's nice to see that confirmed once more.

So agree!  Who is watching that and thinking it is sweet and romantic?  The LDB do not care about her at all.  Logan is using her.  I thought everyone would see that as I see it. 

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 10:55 PM, FrumiusManxome said:

Also, I remember reading a couple reviews that were like the Logan/Rory tango scene really sizzled and I really didn't feel anything? I mean, Rory and Logan did have a connection throughout, but there wasn't anything special to me there. 

What???  Really?  That was the least sizzling scene I have ever witnessed.  It felt weird, forced and awkward.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:55 PM, chick binewski said:

I really am glad that many here seemed to enjoy the revival because I have such an attachment to this show that I would hate to see AYITL get completely trashed. But I disliked almost all of it. The LDB? Rory loves them? Because through the series Robert was supposed to be a jerk, Finn could never remember who she was (yes, Rory was essentially the Paul of the LDB) and they were the crew Rory held responsible for Logan's accident. And they stole antique sewing boxes because they are all so very Bad Ass. Ugh.

I've always thought of Logan as Christopher 2.0 and every time they call Rory "Ace" and "kiddo" I want to punch them both in the throat.

Yes - they are awful people and Rory never really liked them.  They are everything she and her mother HATE about the super wealthy.  Why are the pretending like she likes them?  Why is she happy to see them?  I hated that LDB nonsense.

UUgh when Logan calls Rory "Ace," I am looking for a bathroom to barf in (like Kirk).

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even more pathetic that Lorelai would for a moment consider saying her vows without Emily there to see it, but of course that wouldn't fit with the preordained ending.

That final scene even could have opened with Lorelai on the phone with Emily telling her that she got married and she wanted her to be the first to know. I feel like one of the biggest conflicts throughout Emily and Lorelai's relationship has been Lorelai's inability to tell her things, and letting Emily stumble into it. This could have been baby steps.

22 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

I have only read the first 2 pages, and I will go back and catch up, but I had to throw my daughter's theory out (which I will probably see somewhere in pages 3-6, sorry):  Rory's baby's father is not Logan or Paul or Wookie.  She is a surrogate, through Paris' agency.  She is tired of couch-surfing and hasn't sold a book yet, she complains of being broke (though there must be some Gilmore money available to her but she just doesn't want to ask), and why else introduce Paris' line of work and not use it?  

P.S.  The announcement of her pregnancy should have waited until after the next day's festivities, but I guess if they weren't going to show that, it had to be this way.                                                                                                                  

And the baby will be for Michel and Frederic.

Am I the lone resident of Martynique Island? #teamnakedguyforever

Edited by Susie Derkins
Added comment for Team Marty!
41 minutes ago, Susie Derkins said:

And the baby will be for Michel and Frederic.

Am I the lone resident of Martynique Island? #teamnakedguyforever

You are not alone! I loved Marty! But not the version of him that came back in season 7.

That final scene even could have opened with Lorelai on the phone with Emily telling her that she got married and she wanted her to be the first to know. I feel like one of the biggest conflicts throughout Emily and Lorelai's relationship has been Lorelai's inability to tell her things, and letting Emily stumble into it. This could have been baby steps.

I do think that is something that would truly upset Emily if she found out.   

11 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:

Hated:

• Rory and Logan acting like some damn star-crossed lovers when they could be together in a second if they wanted. They're just cheaters and horrible people end of story. 
  • So no closure on Paris and her life?

Right? I was resistant to the idea of marrying off Rory and Logan before, because it seemed like it would be too much of a pat "happy ending", but now I think they both suck so much they should marry each other so they can stick to cheating on each other instead of cheating on any other unsuspecting people. #FreeOdette

They pretty much left Paris' story without much closure, didn't they?

And that mysterious letter Emily claimed to have gotten from Lorelai was never addressed again. Guess that was just a throwaway joke.

The surrogacy thing was also kind of just dropped. Though I suppose Luke and Lorelai now realize they don't need that to be happy, so that's okay. I should just be glad the last four words weren't "I'm pregnant!" "Me too!" Could have been worse.

I was kind of baffled that Paris just dropped out of the series after the first two episodes, because it seemed like there was more going on there (they even seemed to be hinting she was pregnant again).

This was easily the strongest episode of the revival, in my opinion.  There were a number of genuinely great scenes, particularly Lorelai's memory of Richard.

However, I'm really not sure what to make of the very ending -- particularly since this was apparently how ASP wanted to end things all along.  So, if I'm following this, ASP's Season 7 would have ended with Rory graduating from Yale and then immediately becoming a single mom at age 21?

On 11/26/2016 at 11:42 AM, Miss Slay said:

After sitting with the finale for a few hours. I realize what is unsettling me. Gilmore Girls is Roseanne.

Both Becky and Darlene get pregnant very early in life, just like Roseanne and repeat her exact cycle.  Rory, for all of her Ivy League education – all the interesting people she could have met post college. Is right back in Stars Hallow – doing exactly what Lorelei did.

I wanted more for Rory…and I hoped ASP did too.

Oh, shoot! 

Also, the Emily Gilmore we've known the last sixteen years wouldn't be content hanging out in Nantucket as soon as she gets the latest news -- she'll be hanging around trying to micromanage Lorelai IV's childhood as much as Rory will let her.

12 hours ago, IrishPirate said:

The Wookie did it.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm abandoning all previous camps and jumping on the Rory/Wookie ship. #TeamWookie4Ever

9 hours ago, Frelling Tralk said:

It didn't seem so strange to me that Michel was there. He wouldn't have necessarily been my first choice, but the revival did play up how much closer they had become since Sookie left, so it made sense to me that he would be there as a close friend of Lorelai's. Lane was the one I struggled with, yeah Lorelai obviously liked her, but she was her daughters best friend, Lorelai and Lane barely exchange two words in any of the four episodes, so I'm not sure why Lane would have been one of the guests for the super secret and more intimate wedding. It would have definitely made more sense to include Sookie, especially after she had just made Lorelai a ton of cakes in her excitement over the wedding 

2 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I get that Sookie couldn't be there because Melissa probably wasn't available and the revival showed Lorelai was much closer to Michel now. But no Jess? I didn't think Milo's schedule was that packed and it would have been nice if Luke has one of his people/friends there. (Especially as in-universe Jess was at their house like an hour beforehand and has been Luke's confidant for Lorelai drama for years now).

And they definitely could have had Emily but chose to have her end the series sitting alone while her daughter got married??  Her final sequence was nice but having it during Lorelai's wedding was sad. After decades of Emily trying to build a relationship with her daughter that felt like she just... gave up? Good, she's building her own life and has a surrogate family with Bertha but the revival needed to finally mend fences with Lorelai/Emily, and Emily missing the wedding took away from that. With the background of Lorelai shutting her out from relationships: Not telling her about getting engaged to Max, about getting engaged to Luke, about marrying Chris it would have been great if during the Luke/Lorelai "let's get married now" conversation Lorelai goes "wait, there's something I've got to do" and cut to Emily picking up the phone at the cleared out Hartford house. 

Idk, maybe it's showing Emily has finally moved on from needing to butt into Lorelai's life. But that's not the resolution I was hoping for. 

On 11/28/2016 at 8:53 AM, LegalParrot81 said:

I truly believe that Emily Gilmore has been suppressing yelling bullshit for years.  I literally laughed out loud when it rolled so easily off her tongue.  As much as she adored Richard, she would never have dared let it escape her lips, now she can now stand up, on her own and scream bullshit as long, as loud and as often as she wants. 

She's finding a new voice.

YES. The Emily and Lorelai similarities have never been so strong until that moment. Clearly Lorelai's disdain for that society life isn't so different from her mother after all -  if only we saw them discussing it, Lorelai would be so proud.  

1 hour ago, Bec said:

Right? I was resistant to the idea of marrying off Rory and Logan before, because it seemed like it would be too much of a pat "happy ending", but now I think they both suck so much they should marry each other so they can stick to cheating on each other instead of cheating on any other unsuspecting people. #FreeOdette

They pretty much left Paris' story without much closure, didn't they?

And that mysterious letter Emily claimed to have gotten from Lorelai was never addressed again. Guess that was just a throwaway joke.

The surrogacy thing was also kind of just dropped. Though I suppose Luke and Lorelai now realize they don't need that to be happy, so that's okay. I should just be glad the last four words weren't "I'm pregnant!" "Me too!" Could have been worse.

I'll join you on #FreeOdette campaign - hell go for Pair the Spares and have her end up with Jess, thus freeing themselves from pining for human garbage Logan and Rory. (Because at this point Jess totally deserves a nice French heiress to live happily ever after with).

Yeah, Lorelai's story ended fairly satisfactorily and they did pull together a lot of disparate elements (the marriage question, wanting to expand the Dragonfly, Luke franchising the diner, her story about Richard) but there was a lot they never dealt with like basically everything in therapy, the surrogate/kids question, the letter etc. I'd have liked her and Luke to have kids, they both said they wanted them in the original series so it's kind of sad that never happened for them. (And for no justifiable reason). 

Edited by TimetravellingBW

Hey, didn't somebody upthread come up with the idea that Rory might be a surrogate? Maybe she's Luke and Lorelai's surrogate. I think that would be super weird, but if that idea makes you happy, go ahead and think this is what happens!

I'm actually warming up to this ending more and more because it allows us to come up with our own ideas of what's next. There's infinite possibilities! Everything from "she gets an abortion" to "she goes on to have 19 kids".

I hope they don't do any more episodes, because if they do, the possibilities would not be so infinite anymore. Heh.

16 minutes ago, SeanC said:

ASP's Season 7 would have ended with Rory graduating from Yale and then immediately becoming a single mom at age 21?

She wanted 8 seasons, didn't she? So if she got those 8 seasons, Rory would have enough time to graduate from Yale, try and fail at journalism, and get knocked up by a guy who can't be there for her for whatever reason. There could be a time jump of a few years between seasons so she's at least a little bit older than early 20s.

Do you know what's really interesting (and disturbing) to me?  Mitchum Huntzberger was right about Rory all along: she isn't cut out to be a journalist.  She might make a perfectly fine writer, and I'm sure her memoir will be delightful, but that's a very different thing.  Sometimes jerks speak the truth.

2 minutes ago, crashdown said:

Do you know what's really interesting (and disturbing) to me?  Mitchum Huntzberger was right about Rory all along: she isn't cut out to be a journalist.  She might make a perfectly fine writer, and I'm sure her memoir will be delightful, but that's a very different thing.  Sometimes jerks speak the truth.

He did, indeed. He called it as he saw it. I think with Rory's inability to stand up for herself  and her confrontational issues, it would be highly difficult to get in her field. She would have had to really put herself out there, and that includes taking criticism as they come. Mitchum saw that she wasn't cut out for it, and it really showed itself when she quit Yale because of it. And in this revival, it goes to show that she could barely get in the field after 10 years. She seemed to be meant for a different path but it took her so long to figure it out.

Just now, Susie Derkins said:

We won't talk about season 7. 

No, we should talk about season 7! We don't want to pull an ASP and pretend it never existed, right? I've said this before, but this revival has given me a newfound appreciation for season 7 and has allowed me to give it a second chance. 

40 minutes ago, TimetravellingBW said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm abandoning all previous camps and jumping on the Rory/Wookie ship. #TeamWookie4Ever

#TeamRookie ? #TeamGilbacca ? #TeamStarWarsHollow?  I'm positive someone in here can hashtag better than than I.

Well, I so anticipated this and watched all 4 episodes over the weekend. I think the show is better in small doses and wonder why they supersized? I get the 4 season concept, but it made the episodes weirdly slow in some places and then they still left huge holes...but I was happy to return to Stars Hollow and be in that world again.  It's a bummer that ASP chose to have Rory and Lorelai basically not grow at all in 9 years? It's harder and harder to give Lorelai a pass at almost 50 than it was at 30 something. And it's weird that no one calls Rory on her cheating? It feels like ASP doesn't even realize that she's written sort of red flag, morally dubious behavior for one of her leads-maybe Rory should be in some therapy, too? To me it felt like the ending definitely leaves things open for a more Rory-centered show, but I'm not sure how that would work. I'm kind of sad that they set up such an impossible situation with Logan-it would make me happy if he found out Rory was preg, broke up with the fiancee, and basically told Rory no more running away, that they need to give this a chance because he is NOT her father. 

Ok, so I'm remembering that Scott Patterson did an interview where he said that Luke and Lorelai would have some sexier scenes that they couldn't in the original series because of the network.

So...where were these said-sexy scenes? Where were the steamy, intimate scenes like SP made it out to seem like they had a lot of? 

18 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Ok, so I'm remembering that Scott Patterson did an interview where he said that Luke and Lorelai would have some sexier scenes that they couldn't in the original series because of the network.

So...where were these said-sexy scenes? Where were the steamy, intimate scenes like SP made it out to seem like they had a lot of? 

I've always thought it would be quite the trip to spend 5 minutes inside Scott Patterson's head....he's a little odd....

The Life & Death Brigade scenes were fun to watch. Very surreal. Rory needed a pick me up and I noticed how smiley she was with them. I really fell for Logan and Rory in these episodes. They had another sad goodbye, not their last I suspect. 

I liked Rory's scene with her dad. It was about time they had a serious, honest conversation about his role in her life. I admit to fast forwarding to this part after watching the first episode. I like that she challenged him a bit, saying, "you let her do it". There's a sadness to their scene. I wanted Chris to be happy and it doesn't feel like he is, just resigned to his fate. There is also a marked distance between him and Rory (and implied with Lorelai) that wasn't there at the end of season 7. I can believe it yet I also think Amy purposely did this because she didn't like their friendliness at the end of the show. 

The dreamlike wedding should make the shippers happy. It was sweet and whimsical, very Stars Hollow. It was nice that Rory was involved. I will never be a fan of the Luke/Lorelai relationship but she seems happy, so good for her. Lorelai is still my favourite character and I'm glad she got what she wanted. I expected to hate it but I'm fine with it. Luke understands the special bond between Lorelai and Rory, and is supportive of them. 

Loved Lorelai's phone call to Emily, but I really teared up at Rory in Richard's study. Seriously, that hit home for me. I love that she wrote about their family in Richard's study. I am glad the girls made up, and that Lorelai trusts Rory with writing their story. 

I am glad Lorelai is going forward with the spa. This should have been done years ago when Richard and Emily offered her the money. I think Richard would be proud of his daughter for expanding her business. 

Rory and Lorelai's last words surprised me. Did Amy have this planned for Rory all along? There were many hints along the way of characters saying she is like her mother, so maybe. I am reminded of the fact that Lorelai didn't want Rory to have her life, yet... To paraphrase Lorelai, I have so many questions!

I'm not bothered by it, there's a certain symmetry to the story. I do think this would have been more tragic (for both GG's) if it had been done in season 7 or 8. Rory would've been fresh out of school, and while it would've mirrored Lorelai's sacrifice it would be very depressing. And I think Lorelai would have felt she failed in some respect because she wanted Rory to have the opportunities that she never did. A 32 year old Rory facing this is much preferable, imo. 

22 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Aside from Lorelai's story about Richard to Emily, I just wanted to say that one of the better scenes of the episode was Rory walking into Richard's study and seeing him sitting at the desk.  It was such a sweet little moment, and then her walking in and sitting at the desk with the portrait of her that he liked so much in the background, was the perfect cherry on top of the scene.   

I loved that entire scene, it made me bawl like a baby. Despite reading all spoilers, that made me gasp. So emotional, just a perfect scene. 

7 hours ago, Tikichick said:

I watched mostly for "my Gilmore Girl" -- Emily, knowing full well I was going to have to accept the loss of Richard and praying like hell they weren't going to destroy "my girl".  I'm happy they didn't leave her in the t-shirt and jeans, but I'm sad she's geographically more distant to Lorelai.  

Me too, especially considering their detente. Will they only see each other at summer and Xmas now? No more Friday night dinners. Of course, her location may change now that she has a great grandchild on the way. 

3 minutes ago, hippielamb said:

Me too, especially considering their detente. Will they only see each other at summer and Xmas now? No more Friday night dinners. Of course, her location may change now that she has a great grandchild on the way. 

If ASP had any interest or aptitude for writing a story where Lorelai stops acting like a bratty teenager, I would suggest that the greater geographical distance might actually make their relationship better.

Wow. I guess that was the best episode of the four, but that isn't saying much. I'm glad that Luke and Lorieli got married. However, I think that we should have saw their wedding. And why wasn't Emily there? I get that she wanted to move, but she wouldn't go to her daughter's wedding, even though she was clearly invited to it. And I wanted to see the dances they were talking about and just more of it. I feel like they could have cut out the stupid hiking scenes and added more time to the wedding.

Then there is Rory's last line, wtf? that was the "three" words that were so special. I think it should have been I love you between Loriali and Emily. I get that it is going full circle in that she will raise the kid alone. I doubt she would want to bring Logan into it. That is really dumb. I was kind of hoping that she was going to end up single and not have any commitments to anyone. I guess at least she isn't 16.

I was disappointed that we didn't get endings for the side characters. Like did Paris and Doyle get back together? I assume that Lane is happy (which she appears to be the only one throughout the whole thing). What was with the weird family taking up screen space? Did Michelle end up leaving? Does Loriali buy that building? And was the point of having Sookie in just one scene. I guess she is that major of an actor now.

I did love Emily's storyline though (at least some of it). She really showed how hard it was for her to lose Richard. I loved how she finally dissed the DOAR who totally had it coming. And I felt something when she sold the house. It was a fitting storyline for her. I loved the last scenes with Emily and Lorieli. It was nice to see them get along at the end. I do like that Rory writes "gilmore girls".

Overall, I would say that I was hoping that this would be better then it was. But it could have been a lot worse. 

5 minutes ago, hippielamb said:

I wanted Chris to be happy and it doesn't feel like he is, just resigned to his fate.

He's always been pretty passive, IMO. 

6 minutes ago, hippielamb said:

I am glad Lorelai is going forward with the spa. This should have been done years ago when Richard and Emily offered her the money. I think Richard would be proud of his daughter for expanding her business. 

I don't know if she would have been ready for the extra workload. Emily mentioned adding a spa, and Lorelei agreed it was a good idea, but I think at that point with the inn, she was happy with what she had. Now she's ready to take on more responsibility, or at least hand it over to Michel. She can trust that the spa/annex will be properly run.

Messaging Lane to come for the wedding was definitely preferable to contacting Jess. Luke probably would have preferred Jess. But Lane could easily have said to Zack, "Lorelai and Luke are eloping and need me" and he'd have said "cool, babe, I'll stay here with the kids."  Jess would have tried to slip out, but found TJ up doing something weird, he'd start loudly opining about the whole situation, which would get Liz's attention, the two of them would be loudly opining about the situation, and soon enough all three of them are at the gazebo trying to take over the whole event.

^this. I think Lane responded quickly to a text. Jess would have had to include Liz and TJ. Good luck keeping them quiet lol. I guess it's okay, since all were supposedly at the wedding the next day.

3 hours ago, crashdown said:

Also, Emily was right in that she warned Lorelei that she better watch out or Rory would end up pregnant (I think the time she went to a dance with Dean and they ended up falling asleep at Miss Patty's). 

On November 27, 2016 at 9:35 PM, Bumblebee Tights said:

I loved this so much..that whole sequence with Rory walking through the Gilmore house was maybe the most beautiful moment I have ever seen on this show.

Ok, here comes my rave..

Thank you, Fall.

Thank you for giving me Lorelai Gilmore blowing a kiss to Jess Mariano.

Thank you for making me thoroughly enjoy the Life and Death Brigade for the first time, with that visually beautiful sequence -set to a Beatles song from Across the Universe!- that lit Rory up, and with those genuine, loving goodbyes between Rory and the guys.

Thank you for making the only scene in the revival that featured Christopher be about Rory and not Lorelai.

Thank you for the scene where Lorelai walks into the kitchen to find all those wedding cakes and -Sookie. Thank you for the expressions on LG and Melissa McCarthy's faces when they said "still best friends".

Thank you for giving all of Rory's guys a beautiful last scene: Thank you for giving Dean back his dignity, for the "safe" speech and the cornstarch. Thank you for the "there.. just like that" scene with Logan that hit me right in the gut. Thank you for that look on Jess's face through the window, and for cementing my love for him.

Thank you for letting me hear Emily Gilmore say bullshit so many times.

Thank you for Lane grabbing Rory's phone to  "protect her..for some reason"!

Thank you for everything Luke said to Lorelai. Thank you for  "I will never leave. I will never think about leaving."

Thank you SO MUCH for the story about Richard, the pretzel, and the best birthday Lorelai's ever had.

Thank you for letting me watch Luke and Lorelai get married in an intimate, perfect for them ceremony, which Lorelai and Rory (in her pajamas) rode to in the back of Luke's truck, surrounded by the most beautiful decorations I could imagine, made by Kirk, with Reflecting Light playing in the background!

Thank you for the sequence I quoted above. Thank you for letting me see Rory Gilmore walking through her grandparent's house, her nostalgia and affection for the place written all over her face. Thank you for those flashbacks. Thank you for letting me think about that baby who lived with Lorelai in that house thirty years ago, and who was ultimately the catalyst for the great divide between Lorelai and her parents that started when she took the baby out of there, growing up into the woman who would come full circle and return to that house, to write the story of her mother and her family while sitting at the desk of the grandfather who loved her more than anything. Thank you for letting me see her draw strength and inspiration from that desk, and the man that it represents. Thank you for the thought that all of the episodes that came before were leading up to this moment, and that Rory was always meant to write 'Gilmore Girls' with no 'The' because it's cleaner.

Seriously, I'm like Lorelai texting Kirk "It's perfect"!

I think that everyone's opinions are valid, and I get that there are things to criticize, but I am so, so glad that this revival happened.

And thank you for this wonderful post that I love.

I love the Gilmore Girls, their family and their their friends even when I don't like them. This revival was special to me for simplify nostalgic reasons. I am glad they have good relationships with each other, whether it is broken up or leaving on a beach somewhere or happily married. They are all in good standing. 

I'm not getting how people see the last ten years of Rory's life as a failure but we can all infer into the storylines how we like I suppose. I'm glad that Rory led the jettsetting journalist lifestyle she always wanted to and enjoys it. It wasn't a failure by any measure just because she didn't do it forever. Years from now she'll look back at what a wonderful time she had traveling the world. She can go into another aspect of journalism knowing that she did try out her original dream job for years and loved it. I am happy knowing all that, and know she'll enjoy exploring exploring the quite side of journalism too.  

I'm happy Lorelai is happy with Luke regardless of how I personally feel about the guy. She has to live with him and as long as she's happy ....

I'm sorry they all lost Richard but I'm grateful his passing was handled with such care. I cried  every scene that has to do with him. Great writing and acting by all especially Kelly Bishop. Emily broke my heart so I was especially glad to see she's at a happier place now.

I can now turn my prayers to a West Wing revival.

Edited by Deputy Deputy CoS
3 hours ago, BellyLaughter said:

I've always thought it would be quite the trip to spend 5 minutes inside Scott Patterson's head....he's a little odd....

He is, and he often just says what he thinks people want to hear.  I have heard him contradict himself more than once. 

Also, Emily was right in that she warned Lorelei that she better watch out or Rory would end up pregnant (I think the time she went to a dance with Dean and they ended up falling asleep at Miss Patty's). 

Wait a minute. A 32 year old woman with a college education and a career history is a lot different from a 16 year old girl with no support system or history of being anything other than a pain in the butt. Rory will be fine. Single women like her have children alone. It's not ideal but it's hardly catastrophic.

Edited by Nidratime
9 hours ago, FictionLover said:

He is, and he often just says what he thinks people want to hear.  I have heard him contradict himself more than once. 

Apparently there were a lot of scenes that were cut. The actors may or may not have been aware which were cut when, so there very well could have been such scenes they'd already filmed, that as far as he knew, were still in when he said that.

8 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Wait a minute. A 32 year old woman with a college education and a career history is a lot different from a 16 year old girl with no support system or history of being anything other than a pain in the butt. Rory will be fine. Single women like her have children alone. It's not ideal but it's hardly catastrophic.

Yeah, of course, and I said none of those things.  It was after the comment that it was disturbing that old man Huntzburger was right about Rory.  They were both right in their predictions, not that either one of them portended a catastrophe.  But I will disagree that 16 year-old Rory was a pain in the butt, that didn't come until later.  She was a sweet kid at Chilton. 

But I will disagree that 16 year-old Rory was a pain in the butt, that didn't come until later.  She was a sweet kid at Chilton. 

Nope. I wasn't calling Rory a pain in the butt, I was comparing 32 year old Rory with 16 year old Lorelai who was a pain in the butt at that age. I know *I* wouldn't have wanted to be her parent!

24 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

Nope. I wasn't calling Rory a pain in the butt, I was comparing 32 year old Rory with 16 year old Lorelai who was a pain in the butt at that age. I know *I* wouldn't have wanted to be her parent!

Ah, yes, Lorelai was a handful, who had an angel child.  Maybe Rory will have a little hellion.  Full circle. 

UUgh when Logan calls Rory "Ace," I am looking for a bathroom to barf in (like Kirk).

I never liked that nickname. He always said it with a smirk on his face that I suppose was meant to be endearingly amused. Which bathroom was supposed to be less harsh on the knees?

1 hour ago, Randomosity said:

Apparently there were a lot of scenes that were cut. The actors may or may not have been aware which were cut when, so there very well could have been such scenes they'd already filmed, that as far as he knew, were still in when he said that.

That could be true. Maybe a DVD will be released with cut scenes. However it doesn't change the fact that SP does provide lip service to fans. He admitted that there was no talk of a revival when he said there was on the Gilmore Guys podcast. But perhaps that ended up being a good thing by prompting the start of the revival :)

On 11/27/2016 at 5:39 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I've been thinking about Rory's discussion with Christopher and what the implications of that particular scene means with regards to Logan as the probable father. I think that Rory might expect Logan to not be so willing to take care of the baby if she tells him. She might expect or prepare herself to be a single parent like her mother. Seeing as Logan chose Odette primarily and chose to be faithful to his dynastic duty, she might expect that he'll bail as a father and she is just trying to prepare herself for that by not expecting anything. Or, the more likely reason, is that she's choosing to be a single parent because she doesn't want Logan involved. She might really want to end the Rory/Logan romance now because she's afraid that it'll never be enough for Logan. Seeing as neither of them could end their relationships with each other or with other people, she might be going through her options with them in the future. 

She has to find a balance with Logan. She should be telling him about the pregnancy and if he accepts it, then she shouldn't be letting him wander in and out like her own father has. She should encourage him to be the best father he can be, even if Logan and Rory don't end up together.

The only issue is that Rory has the mindset that she'll be a single parent, which actually I don't find a good mindset to be in. Hopefully she changes her mind out of it. 

It makes sense that Rory is mentally preparing herself to be a single parent, due to the way Logan has behaved in the four Seasons revival. Logan is about offering money, a private home, a car etc. - not a commitment or stability. Rory as sidepiece has been 'enough for Logan.' When she got upset and said good-bye because he acknowledged over the phone that Odette was now his live-in fiance, his response was a grand LDB night, culminating in handing her a key to a house (exactly what a guy does for an official mistress). He did not hint at breaking things off with Odette if she wanted, did not offer a ring or even say ILY, did not indicate he's only marrying Odette out of duty. (Although I think her asking him if he was still going to marry Odette was her passive way of asking him did he love her and was he willing to end the engagement for her. He confirmed he's still getting married.) Even Season 5 Logan would have said something if forced into a committed relationship he didn't want. Both of them could have ended their 'relationships with other people' - they're just too weak/selfish to do so. They are not young royals, each being forced into arranged marriages.  He has not verbally wished for a future with Rory, let alone said anything about kids. Also, in their last scene together, Logan told her she didn't need to be saved. Seems like she expects (from Christopher's awful attitude about being a hands-off father but now offering $ again) now that Logan would have a similar reaction:  'Oh you're a force of nature. You'll be a great mother. But now I insist you take that house. I can even arrange for a driver to bring your doctor for personal home visits. Tomorrow I'll make arrangements to set up a trust fund for our child. See? No reason to be concerned."

Alexis played the Rory scene with her dad like she was trying not to cry that he didn't express regret about missing out on so much as her dad. His weak "You know I love you, right?" had to hurt. So she's bracing herself for Logan to be like that - Rory (and her child) will not be a priority for Logan because he's fine with his life as it is.  Logan shouldn't have to be 'encouraged' to be a good father.  Rory then runs into Dean, sees where he is in his life (responsible husband and father), and wishes Logan could be like that. Her questions to her father, and her holding back tears with him and as she told her mom she's pregnant, indicate to me this was definitely an unexpected pregnancy and that she's doesn't want to be/isn't excited to be a single mother.

I agree with some posters who say Jess is supposed to be Rory's Luke. She's frustrated and being real in front of Jess, which is how Lorelai was with Luke. Luke was encouraging of Lorelai opening her own inn, as Jess told Rory she should write about her and her mom. That scene with the four of them soon before the wedding was supposed to show a comfortableness with them all now that didn't exist back when Rory and Jess were kids - especially that Lorelai accepts Jess as family. Rory gets excited about her book and goes running to Jess. Then he looks at her through the window. That seemed to be a hint that they will become close in time (bonding primarily about writing), and may fall for each other once she pulls her head out of her ass about Logan. Rory has to get it together now, quit the selfishness, and learn about setting firm boundaries too. 

18 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Patterson and Graham are so wooden together, the thought of them pretending to be passionate makes me cringe.

The subject does makes my mind wander to what Rory might be like in her sexual pursuits. She isn't squeamish, ashamed or repressed from what we see, and it can also be inferred that she and Logan remain mutually satisfied. But overall, I can't really picture Rory as a riotous sexual beast. Although sometimes it is the quiet ones.

Patterson and Graham are so wooden together, the thought of them pretending to be passionate makes me cringe.

It's still so strange and baffling to me that these actors have so little chemistry. (IMO--obviously!) You mention cringing, and that looks like exactly what LG and SP do when they have to come within three feet of each other. They can barely pull off a chaste, blink-and-you-miss-it peck convincingly, let alone a 'passionate' interlude. I get that that's not the important facet of a relationship---but for me it's not like they have much of an emotional or intellectual connection and compatibility either, so the seeming lack of attraction is even more glaring somehow. If there were steamier scenes (and, as others have said, one is never quite sure whether SP is a reliable source!), I'd be interested in knowing why they got cut. 

Edited by amensisterfriend
28 minutes ago, lordonia said:

The subject does makes my mind wander to what Rory might be like in her sexual pursuits. She isn't squeamish, ashamed or repressed from what we see, and it can also be inferred that she and Logan remain mutually satisfied. But overall, I can't really picture Rory as a riotous sexual beast. Although sometimes it is the quiet ones.

I think the "tango" answered the question.  All I could think was, who would write this idea, knowing who they were writing for, and then who could stand there and direct that sequence and not ask for a change to the script because it's obvious to anyone who's ever seen the show that tango and Rory Gilmore are not words that belong together, on page or screen.  

Then I remembered, it was all about four other words and somebody's dream to get to do a music sequence they've no doubt been secretly dreaming of for many, many years. 

I never liked that nickname. He always said it with a smirk on his face that I suppose was meant to be endearingly amused. Which bathroom was supposed to be less harsh on the knees?

Was it the downstairs one?  I think the upstairs had a tile floor. 

Then I remembered, it was all about four other words and somebody's dream to get to do a music sequence they've no doubt been secretly dreaming of for many, many years. 

Given they managed to find 20 minutes for a freaking musical, I am honestly surprised the episodes didn't end with the entire cast bursting into some kind of heavily choreographed dance scene.  On a more positive note, I thought Sutton's "Unbreakable" song was quite nice. 

2 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Was it the downstairs one?  I think the upstairs had a tile floor.

I thought upstairs was the better bathroom for the knees - that's the one Kirk was aiming for, and Lorelai validated his claim.

On Monday, November 28, 2016 at 6:59 PM, dubbel zout said:

He's always been pretty passive, IMO. 

I don't know if she would have been ready for the extra workload. Emily mentioned adding a spa, and Lorelei agreed it was a good idea, but I think at that point with the inn, she was happy with what she had. Now she's ready to take on more responsibility, or at least hand it over to Michel. She can trust that the spa/annex will be properly run.

Agreed. I just noticed a sadness to his words. Gigi is in Paris with her mother, Chris is in a relationship but it doesn't sound like he is happy. I really wanted that for him. 

She had more help at the inn at the end of season 7. Sookie was still there to handle the kitchen. Michel was running the desk, and not yet restless. I wanted to see her expand her business because unlike Luke, she didn't have an issue with it. The Dragonfly has been in business for almost 15 years and is apparently successful yet the idea to expand was never seriously considered. I'm a small business owner so maybe I am being too picky about this. (Also, I have questions if Sookie is still a partner or did Lorelai buy her out.)  I do like the full circle that Michel wanted to offer spa like services when the inn opened and he finally gets to run a spa. 

On Monday, November 28, 2016 at 10:26 PM, Nidratime said:

Absolutely! I wonder how many people who have issues with Rory's story realize that she's not 22 anymore. She's a 32 year old woman. She is going to have mucho support from Lorelai and just about everyone in her sphere. She is writing a book (something she is far better suited for than journalism) and the chances are good that it will be a success. She has a wealthy father and grandmother who will give her financial security if she needs it. Logan will most likely contribute financially. 

Rory could continue writing more books, or teaching if she desired. She will most likely be raising her child alone (well, with Lorelai and Stars Hollow). She seemed to make peace with that arrangement in the conversation with Chris. She had the opportunity to travel and live the life of a journalist for 10 years. I think she's going to be A-ok. Her personal/dating life will probably be a mess, just like many people her age. 

I think the problem with the last 4 words is that this (or if this) was Amy's plan all along. It would have been 23-24 year old Rory. Plus a lot of this mini-series felt like it should have taken place a few years after college. Plus they fear Revival Rory isn't going to be good for the baby and Lorelai will end up taking care of the child why Rory is off still looking for herself-ok that last one might just be me ....

On 11/25/2016 at 5:15 PM, starri said:

Emily just seemed so happy.  She reminded me of Ruth in the last episode of Six Feet Under.  I know she loved Richard and their life together, but that was THEIRS, and now she gets to figure out who she is on her own.  That's a spin-off I would watch.

Rory annoyed me, but I guess on the whole I can't give her too much grief, because I was a little aimless until I was about that age too.  I can give her crap about treating her non-entity boyfriend so poorly.  And I'm not exactly sure motherhood is going to be the thing that gets her back on track.

I'm willing to cut Rory a lot of slack because I completely relate to going through an education, working towards a goal, believe you're making great steps to that goal...and then, nada. Suddenly you wake up and you're 30 instead of 20 and you're wondering where your life went. (I also have had a lot of people tell me I should go be a teacher instead of doing what I wanted to do.)

As for the Death or Life Brigade...eh, I can't hate on them too much, either. It felt like a night where they were re-living their old college glories, and it looked fun. Hell, my old university actually has an alumni weekend where you can stay in the dorms and I've been tempted but don't have the friends that would do it.

On 11/29/2016 at 0:15 AM, BellyLaughter said:

Lol, yes, but I love that he's willing to say things others aren't. He let it 'slip' in the aol build interview that Netflix has a second season already under contract with WB. 

For a series that shows on Netflix, with highly flexible morality options, AYITL was worse re:showing sex than Fuller House, an OTT G-rated show. Sounds like a writers' decision to me, and anything sexier than puppy pajamas was left on the cutting room floor.

We saw LL do an overly subtle affectionate bicep squeeze followed by a butt pat, which rolled into foreplay against the background noise of a Lifetime movie. There was a weird comment about Rory not wanting to hear them having sex. OMG, they've been living together for nine years and 'Friends With Benefits' and 'Wookie sex' Rory is bothered by that?

Rory and Logan, IIRC, were never in the same bed. The original series had more than that for them. 

Emily's a widow and sex with her new boyfriend is not clarified.

This was worse than the original series, during which LL never slept together while Rory was in the house.

Talk about weird minds, try taking that spin inside ASP's.

Apparently no one in Stars Hollow had sex either. I miss Babette making some inappropriate comment about Morey. I would have gladly traded in the musical for a town meeting about the wedding or the spa.

On 2016-11-28 at 5:21 PM, Bec said:

Hey, didn't somebody upthread come up with the idea that Rory might be a surrogate? Maybe she's Luke and Lorelai's surrogate. I think that would be super weird, but if that idea makes you happy, go ahead and think this is what happens!

I'm actually warming up to this ending more and more because it allows us to come up with our own ideas of what's next. There's infinite possibilities! Everything from "she gets an abortion" to "she goes on to have 19 kids".

I hope they don't do any more episodes, because if they do, the possibilities would not be so infinite anymore. Heh.

She wanted 8 seasons, didn't she? So if she got those 8 seasons, Rory would have enough time to graduate from Yale, try and fail at journalism, and get knocked up by a guy who can't be there for her for whatever reason. There could be a time jump of a few years between seasons so she's at least a little bit older than early 20s.

It's not too super-weird.  I've heard of a few stories where moms (who had kids young) were surrogates for their daughters.  And siblings have offered to be surrogates too.  The only question is this:  Can surrogates be paid in Connecticut?  Some jurisdictions only allow altruistic surrogacy.