Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Fall

• Start Topic

On 12/14/2022 at 9:05 AM, BlancheDevoreaux said:

However, did anyone else feel that Rory/Alexis just didn't seem to fit with the guys? 

I think that Alexis never connected with the character of Rory at all in AYITL. Not that I totally blame her....

Rory didn't want to work hard like Lorelai but also didn't seem willing to play the role of a married socialite like Emily. She wanted to best of the both of those worlds without putting in the effort needed to achieve either of them.

I agree with this. Rory was very work shy in AYITL.
In all honesty though, I don't think that Lorelai had a good work ethic either as time went on. Even in the OS the only time I can remember her working hard was when she was getting the Dragonfly open.
I do believe that she had to have worked hard when Rory was little & that's how she became manager at the Independence Inn.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, SJC said:

I think that Alexis never connected with the character of Rory at all in AYITL. Not that I totally blame her....

I agree with this. Rory was very work shy in AYITL.

I'm not so sure she was work shy. She was more entitled and lazy. She was completely unable to do any work. She turned her nose down at jobs and stories she thought was beneath her, got fired from writing about that woman's life because Rory couldn't stop bitching to everyone about her, took out that one thing from the Stars Hollow paper because she didn't like it that everyone else did which could have done her job and found out first but didn't.  She "lowered" herself to that one job she's shocked that she was suppose to come up with story ideas. When she finally gets an article that she'll do she's terrible at interviewing people, takes a nap and has a one night stand. Christiane Amanapour can write whatever she wants because she's earned the right through hard work and stories she's done. Rory acts like she can but she hasn't bothered even try to earn it. Rory was surrounded her whole life by people who worked hard to get where they were or just worked hard like Emily's who's "job" was different committees, functions and things. Even Paris who's rich worked hard to build a fertility business. Thirtysomethings were spit out by the real world but that didn't even happen to Rory. Rory's crappy work life is her own fault.  

Paris mentioned her trust fund was in tact when telling Rory about her parents bankruptcy and we don't know how much that was. For all we know it was tens of millions of dollars and, even if not, was likely substantial enough that Paris wasn't poor for too long. 

I always assumed she used those arguing/debate skills to her advantage and secured her fertility practice's funds without having to contribute a cent herself. Maybe she hunted down the politicians from the Washington trip and terrorized them into donating. We saw how scared they were of her in the season 3 premiere.

I agree with this:

That said, the more I watch GG and AYITL, the more convinced I am that Rory is the villain in her own life story.

It's not so obvious when watching GG alone but the two together really brings it home. It helps no one it the revival writer's room is trying to sell viewers on Rory's awesomeness. She's a terrible, terrible journalist and I love it so much. A good/great writer? Sure I buy that but even a mediocre journalist? Absolutely not. 

14 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

It helps no one it the revival writer's room is trying to sell viewers on Rory's awesomeness.

True !
ASP and DP made it clear in AYITL that Rory is a terrible person. She looks down her nose at working, has poor morals, etc. 
That character is damaged beyond repair IMHO.

4 hours ago, SJC said:

True !
ASP and DP made it clear in AYITL that Rory is a terrible person. She looks down her nose at working, has poor morals, etc. 
That character is damaged beyond repair IMHO.

I'm not so sure ASP thinks Rory's a terrible person because she's still treated by everyone like a great person who can do no wrong. No one ever calls her on her crap no matter what she does. 

I did a rewatch of Year in the Life, and I now realize that Christopher's office in "Fall" is just another room in the same building where they filmed the Chilton scenes for the "Spring" episode.  The windows and background seen in both settings give away the game. 

GG-Chris-1.webp

gilmore-girls-year-in-the-life-new-stills-18.jpg