Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Fall

• Start Topic

Just now, ShadowFacts said:

I have only read the first 2 pages, and I will go back and catch up, but I had to throw my daughter's theory out (which I will probably see somewhere in pages 3-6, sorry):  Rory's baby's father is not Logan or Paul or Wookie.  She is a surrogate, through Paris' agency.  She is tired of couch-surfing and hasn't sold a book yet, she complains of being broke (though there must be some Gilmore money available to her but she just doesn't want to ask), and why else introduce Paris' line of work and not use it?  

P.S.  The announcement of her pregnancy should have waited until after the next day's festivities, but I guess if they weren't going to show that, it had to be this way.                                                                                                                  

Interesting theory.  I think she would mention it to Lorelei first if it was planned, but that sort of makes sense.  And Paris would DEFINITELY treat her as a "top breeder". 

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, cmahorror said:

As for the Christopher versus Luke debate - both men and relationships have positive and negative aspects. I think the reason she ultimately chose to spend the rest of her life with Luke is because she recognizes that, no matter what, he will have her back. They do need to work on melding their lives together - no more of this my family, your family crap - but they love and respect each other in a way that Christopher and Lorelei can't anymore. There is just too much baggage and too much pain to rebuild the relationship now. Christopher will always feel guilty for not being the man Lorelei needed while Rory was growing up and she will always resent his not stepping up and being the father Rory needed.

I was at least happy Rory asked the hard questions and made him squirm a little.  It drove me crazy how he was continually pardoned for not taking responsibility and even expected sympathy for what he missed out on.  An apology to Rory would have been better, but this was somewhat more satisfying than the way it was left at the end of season 7.

As for the Christopher versus Luke debate - both men and relationships have positive and negative aspects. I think the reason she ultimately chose to spend the rest of her life with Luke is because she recognizes that, no matter what, he will have her back. They do need to work on melding their lives together - no more of this my family, your family crap - but they love and respect each other in a way that Christopher and Lorelei can't anymore. There is just too much baggage and too much pain to rebuild the relationship now. Christopher will always feel guilty for not being the man Lorelei needed while Rory was growing up and she will always resent his not stepping up and being the father Rory needed.

I agree.  I love how in his don't leave me rant Luke said something like I will always be here for you and no one else will ever be more here for you than I am.  So much better than that old tripe "No one will ever love you like I do."  I hate that.  So possessive and presumptuous. 

I will never understand how Lorelai didn't see that she and Christopher would never be able to overcome their past and married the guy who was never there for her daughter.  I was a single parent too and can't imagine doing that, even once the kid is grown.

12 minutes ago, SueB said:

If I was Rory, I'd be very afraid to tell Logan.  It's absolutely the right thing to do, but she has reasons to fear. An actual marriage between the two is not where their relationship was remotely heading.  So if they are honest with themselves, and she decides to have and keep the baby, then she's got a potential custody concern.  Not from Logan as much as the grandparents.

I wonder if she could tell him and if he doesn't want to be involved, see if he's willing to terminate his parental rights?  That way, he can choose whether to torch his current relationship, Rory couldn't ask for money from Logan or his family, and wouldn't have to worry about custody.

I try to keep my life as drama free as possible but I love bad Lifetime movies - they help remind me why I am still single 10 years after I lost my husband lol.

Well, I can see using the Lifetime movies as a substitute for drama in your life, lol.  Anything that helps us appreciate what we have is good by me.

I definitely want to get in on the Christopher/Luke talk, but I think I'll discuss my thoughts in the All Episode Thread, just so we don't get too off topic. Although what has been discussed so far is wonderful. I'll post my thoughts about that later tonight!

1 hour ago, shron17 said:

I wonder if she could tell him and if he doesn't want to be involved, see if he's willing to terminate his parental rights?  That way, he can choose whether to torch his current relationship, Rory couldn't ask for money from Logan or his family, and wouldn't have to worry about custody.

I've been thinking about Rory's discussion with Christopher and what the implications of that particular scene means with regards to Logan as the probable father. I think that Rory might expect Logan to not be so willing to take care of the baby if she tells him. She might expect or prepare herself to be a single parent like her mother. Seeing as Logan chose Odette primarily and chose to be faithful to his dynastic duty, she might expect that he'll bail as a father and she is just trying to prepare herself for that by not expecting anything. Or, the more likely reason, is that she's choosing to be a single parent because she doesn't want Logan involved. She might really want to end the Rory/Logan romance now because she's afraid that it'll never be enough for Logan. Seeing as neither of them could end their relationships with each other or with other people, she might be going through her options with them in the future. 

I think Lorelai will get her to tell Logan whether she wants to or not, because Lorelai knows it would be selfish not to tell him. But I truly think that Rory is going into this pregnancy, expecting that she'll have her mom and Luke as support, but she won't have Logan. The only thing is that I might have more faith for Logan and I truly believe that he would step up. Maybe Rory doesn't want to tell him and ruin his seemingly perfect life with his fiancee and his family, but Rory making the decision to be a single parent isn't her choice to make and she doesn't seem to understand that. Much like the Anna/Luke situation, it will only backfire on her if she doesn't give him the chance. She has to find a balance with Logan. She should be telling him about the pregnancy and if he accepts it, then she shouldn't be letting him wander in and out like her own father has. She should encourage him to be the best father he can be, even if Logan and Rory don't end up together.

The only issue is that Rory has the mindset that she'll be a single parent, which actually I don't find a good mindset to be in. Hopefully she changes her mind out of it. 

8 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I think that was the biggest disappointment for me. No flash mobs. 

I was really disappointed that we didn't get to see the reception with the whole town there. We saw it in season two with Max, although it was a bridal shower. I know there were probably logistical problems with getting all the stars together, but I think it could have worked.

Edited by Leonana

No theme song starting each episode. I just should have shut the TV off at that point. 

I have 2 daughters one is 7 years older than the other. I watched it as it was shown on TV with the oldest and in reruns with the youngest, we are all just heartbroken. GG was the show I could rely on to set a fabulous example for my girls. Rory always strong yet perfectly human in each episode. She was a great student, understood education was important, dated different guys, got into some minor trouble. It was all good and such a wonderful example for young woman.  She had dreams and things she wanted to pursue. Getting pregnant is what so many young women without hope do because they really don't know what else to do or they want someone to love or they want the father to stay with them. Rory getting pregnant was truly the WORST ending on so many levels. 

Rory basically turned into her father. An aimless lazy shallow self-indulgent narcissistic Peter Pan who flits around having empty affairs and never grows up. She's so much like Christopher when he was 32. A fickle flake.

Her lack of conscience about sleeping with an already engaged man and her treatment of her "boyfriend" was disturbing. It was depressing how easily Rory accepted her status as mistress and booty call. She didn't seem to want anything more or better for herself. Aim higher, girl.

I'm glad she got knocked up at 32 instead of 22. And Logan is 35 with a steady job. Even if they don't end up together, he'll pay child support and want to be a part of the kid's life. Though I feel like somehow Luke & Lorelai will end up raising/parenting Rory's kid while she is off finding herself or whatnot.

On a brighter note, Super Dad Dean looks super HOT and seems really happy with his family of four kids. Fatherhood agrees with him.

What Rory said to him was poignant and bittersweet. She called him the greatest boyfriend alive, generous, protective, kind, strong, and that he taught her what "safe" feels like, and she wishes she had met him when she was older and more mature. I guess Baby Daddy Logan wasn't any of those things for her yet she kept seeing him for 10 years. Why? Like Christopher, Rory seems to self-sabotage.

All in all, I was most disappointed by Rory's story.

Wow. 

I have so much to say, and I'm sure I will later on, but for now...

Ok, I get being disappointed by the pregnancy, I really do, although I don't feel that way, though I guess mayyyybe I'm ambivalent about it?

But mostly I just want to say:

You're crazy, internet.

This was perfect.

Aside from Lorelai's story about Richard to Emily, I just wanted to say that one of the better scenes of the episode was Rory walking into Richard's study and seeing him sitting at the desk.  It was such a sweet little moment, and then her walking in and sitting at the desk with the portrait of her that he liked so much in the background, was the perfect cherry on top of the scene.   

28 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Aside from Lorelai's story about Richard to Emily, I just wanted to say that one of the better scenes of the episode was Rory walking into Richard's study and seeing him sitting at the desk.  It was such a sweet little moment, and then her walking in and sitting at the desk with the portrait of her that he liked so much in the background, was the perfect cherry on top of the scene.   

It was a beautiful scene and really made me tear up. Also made me imagine Richard looking down on her and seeing that she chose his office as a place to start her book and how much I think he would've loved that. I really liked it and along with her scenes walking in the dinning room etc and remembering their dinners was really great.

Also even though she made so many questionable choices I feel like near the end she took a turn and I am kinda bummed it ended where it did, just when I felt she was starting to make some progress on herself. Also I've been forever been rooting for Rory and Jess so at least the ending was open enough to allow the possibility. :)

ETA: It's also possible that Rory writing this book focusing on her life will cause her to do some self reflecting, in that sense the book may serve more than one purpose for her.

Edited by Thundercatmary
profound thoughts ;)
2 hours ago, NoThyme said:

Getting pregnant is what so many young women without hope do because they really don't know what else to do or they want someone to love or they want the father to stay with them.

It crossed my mind that Rory may have deliberately gotten pregnant. She was with Logan throughout most of her college years and who knows how often over the ten years since graduation without getting pregnant. Your thoughts support a planned pregnancy. Disappointing. 

20 hours ago, photo fox said:

As for the LDB not really caring about Rory, because they didn't speak out against her affair with Logan, Rory's own mother didn't have much reaction, so I don't see why her friends would be expected to. 

I'm already forgetting specifics of that conversation. Did Lorelai necessarily know that Logan was engaged?

9 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Luke is supportive, reliable and dependable, much like a well-built table. But who wants to date a table?

Me.

1 hour ago, spinxella said:

Rory basically turned into her father. An aimless lazy shallow self-indulgent narcissistic Peter Pan who flits around having empty affairs and never grows up. She's so much like Christopher when he was 32. A fickle flake.

Her lack of conscience about sleeping with an already engaged man and her treatment of her "boyfriend" was disturbing. It was depressing how easily Rory accepted her status as mistress and booty call. She didn't seem to want anything more or better for herself. Aim higher, girl.

Great insight. And, yes, with all that she has worked for and/or opportunities she's been provided, she should indeed aim higher.

It's almost as if not only did the Palladino's want to ignore S7, they wrote these episodes as if they happened right after college, not 10 years later. Maybe this was their S7 with Rory still in college.

I'm already forgetting specifics of that conversation. Did Lorelai necessarily know that Logan was engaged?

Yes, she even asked "isn't he engaged?" and Rory responded, Lorelai said that was more slutty than the ONS with Wookie.

2 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Yes, she even asked "isn't he engaged?" and Rory responded, Lorelai said that was more slutty than the ONS with Wookie.

Thanks for clarifying. Just goes to show how little I cared for the cheating Rory story line. Blocked it out, apparently.

8 hours ago, MaiSoCalled said:

This was what I needed in his scene with Rory - an apology. One split second of him admitting that he wasn't there for her as much as he could have been, and that was wrong. But he didn't say that. He made excuses and said that everything worked out as it was supposed to, which isn't a bad thing on its own, but it lets him off the hook. 

Yes! instead of owning that he was absent and he's thankful it worked out,  he blamed the instant bond he saw between Lorelei and a newborn Rory as making him feel unnecessary. That is basic biology. The baby didn't choose Lorelei over you, you big man child!  Stop pouting because you weren't the favorite parent for a nanosecond. 

After watching the whole revival a second time, I think my biggest beef is that ostensibly these  four episodes were supposed to give closure to the fans. So to end them on such a huge cliffhanger is just rude. It's a slap in the face. 

1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I loved this so much..that whole sequence with Rory walking through the Gilmore house was maybe the most beautiful moment I have ever seen on this show.

Ok, here comes my rave..

Thank you, Fall.

Thank you for giving me Lorelai Gilmore blowing a kiss to Jess Mariano.

Thank you for making me thoroughly enjoy the Life and Death Brigade for the first time, with that visually beautiful sequence -set to a Beatles song from Across the Universe!- that lit Rory up, and with those genuine, loving goodbyes between Rory and the guys.

Thank you for making the only scene in the revival that featured Christopher be about Rory and not Lorelai.

Thank you for the scene where Lorelai walks into the kitchen to find all those wedding cakes and -Sookie. Thank you for the expressions on LG and Melissa McCarthy's faces when they said "still best friends".

Thank you for giving all of Rory's guys a beautiful last scene: Thank you for giving Dean back his dignity, for the "safe" speech and the cornstarch. Thank you for the "there.. just like that" scene with Logan that hit me right in the gut. Thank you for that look on Jess's face through the window, and for cementing my love for him.

Thank you for letting me hear Emily Gilmore say bullshit so many times.

Thank you for Lane grabbing Rory's phone to  "protect her..for some reason"!

Thank you for everything Luke said to Lorelai. Thank you for  "I will never leave. I will never think about leaving."

Thank you SO MUCH for the story about Richard, the pretzel, and the best birthday Lorelai's ever had.

Thank you for letting me watch Luke and Lorelai get married in an intimate, perfect for them ceremony, which Lorelai and Rory (in her pajamas) rode to in the back of Luke's truck, surrounded by the most beautiful decorations I could imagine, made by Kirk, with Reflecting Light playing in the background!

Thank you for the sequence I quoted above. Thank you for letting me see Rory Gilmore walking through her grandparent's house, her nostalgia and affection for the place written all over her face. Thank you for those flashbacks. Thank you for letting me think about that baby who lived with Lorelai in that house thirty years ago, and who was ultimately the catalyst for the great divide between Lorelai and her parents that started when she took the baby out of there, growing up into the woman who would come full circle and return to that house, to write the story of her mother and her family while sitting at the desk of the grandfather who loved her more than anything. Thank you for letting me see her draw strength and inspiration from that desk, and the man that it represents. Thank you for the thought that all of the episodes that came before were leading up to this moment, and that Rory was always meant to write 'Gilmore Girls' with no 'The' because it's cleaner.

Seriously, I'm like Lorelai texting Kirk "It's perfect"!

I think that everyone's opinions are valid, and I get that there are things to criticize, but I am so, so glad that this revival happened.

I have a lot of feelings about this, that I am going to hopefully be able to get my thoughts together, about this episode and about this whole revival, but here are some of my first thoughts, finishing the episode, and having only glanced through a few of these previous pages: 

I was actually happy to see the Life and Death idiots again. They can be irritating and kind of assholes, but I can really appreciate their commitment to whimsy. Plus, they used the music from one of my favorite moves, Across the Universe, and even had an homage one of their scenes! Random, but welcome. 

Emily calling bullshit on the DAR was great, as was all her stuff, but I do wish they had built up to it a little more. But I guess we had to have our 20 minute musical number last episode...

I cracked up at all the women doing "Wild", and the book women feeling superior to the movie women. I could watch a whole YouTube series about Jason Ritter as a long suffering park ranger dealing with all these clearly unprepared people. 

Sookies return, while nice, was a bit awkward. It still strikes me as weird that Sookie would run off to the woods, leaving behind the family and the dragon fly. 

Lorelai calling Emily and telling that pretzel story about Richard almost made that awful scene at the funeral in Winter worth it. I started losing it by the time Richard was taking little Lorelai to the movie. Damn it...

I have to say, Rory and I are finally on the same page about one thing: she sucks. So, the dream ending for Rory was not to go off to live her dreams of travel and adventure, it was to be stuck in a job she hates in Stars Hallow, pregnant with her married ex boyfriends baby? Thats...messed up. I feel zero closure, and Rory has been so awful lately, that I cant even feel bad for her. I feel bad for sweet, smart teenager Rory who wanted to see Fez, not the awful, smug, stuck up, adulterous 32 year old Rory. More on this later. 

Luke and Lorelia finally get married. It was nice. Thats really all there is to say. Why they didn't do this sooner is anyone's guess. 

It was really nice seeing Dean, and hearing that he is happily married with kids, away from Stars Hallow drama with Lindsay. Good for him. And JP looks great. 

The whole scene with Rory walking through the Gilmore house and remembering things there, and going into Richards office to write, yeah that was great. Hit all those nostalgia buttons, and does a good job of hitting that moment when you walk through a place you have lots of memories, right before leaving it. I finally got into Rory for a few scenes. 

Edited by tennisgurl

I did have a laugh out loud moment at Emily becoming a docent at the whale museum and not giving a fig that there were children present going into the the no holes barred, graphic detail of whaling and the abject horror on the face of the previous lecturer.  It was so Emily, no sugar coating.

I thought this episode was the perfect finale, right up until the final four words. I spent most of the episode ugly crying over the perfection of everything. I love Emily's new life as the most horrifying museum tour guide ever. I thought the Luke/Lorelai wedding was perfect and completely them. Even though I hated the LDB when they were on, I thought it was the perfect send-off to Logan and Rory's relationship. This was everything I loved about Gilmore Girls.

And then we got the final four words. I have the exact same problem with this that I had with the How I Met Your Mother finale. I won't spoil that for anyone with details. Basically, what happened was that the writers of the show had decided on and filmed an ending for the series back in season one of the show. Then they spent the next eight seasons showing why that finale just didn't work. The characters grew and evolved past the point where the ending they had envisioned was a fitting close to the series. That's exactly what I think happened with this. ASP knew how she wanted to end the series and I think that's why Rory's storyline felt so frozen in time. Emily and Lorelai got storylines that reflected appropriate character growth over the past eight years. Rory was almost the exact same as she was at the end of season 6. The final four words could have worked perfectly had they ended the series back in 2007 this way. However, ASP was so attached to the "final four words" that she sacrificed the story for her ending. 

I think I still would have viewed the final four words as a slap in the face had they aired back in 2007, but it would have made more sense. ASP could have changed the four words to be whatever the hell she wanted. We wouldn't have known the difference. And she could have made it so the four words fit the story she was trying to tell with AYITL. 

Thank you for the scene where Lorelai walks into the kitchen to find all those wedding cakes and -Sookie. Thank you for the expressions on LG and Melissa McCarthy's faces when they said "still best friends".

The weird thing is I recall seeing a picture taken by Yanic Truesdale of he and Melissa McCarthy on set, but the way the scene with he, Sookie and Lorelai was filmed, it seemed like his scene was filmed at an entirely different time.  I don't think there was a shot of all three in the same frame. 

I was a little mixed on Emily's storyline.  I realize that Lorelai and Luke got married several hours early, but I thought it was strange (and maybe a little hurtful) that Emily got excluded.  In fact, it was a little weird that Emily was still in Nantucket when her daughter was getting married the next day.  Was she really going to just fly in the day of the wedding?  I know she said she had no involvement in the planning, or anything, but you'd think she would have at least arrived early, if only to help attend to last minute details.   

14 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

The weird thing is I recall seeing a picture taken by Yanic Truesdale of he and Melissa McCarthy on set, but the way the scene with he, Sookie and Lorelai was filmed, it seemed like his scene was filmed at an entirely different time.  I don't think there was a shot of all three in the same frame. 

I was a little mixed on Emily's storyline.  I realize that Lorelai and Luke got married several hours early, but I thought it was strange (and maybe a little hurtful) that Emily got excluded.  In fact, it was a little weird that Emily was still in Nantucket when her daughter was getting married the next day.  Was she really going to just fly in the day of the wedding?  I know she said she had no involvement in the planning, or anything, but you'd think she would have at least arrived early, if only to help attend to last minute details.   

Emily was totally switched off from Lorelai's wedding by this time, if she was ever involved. She didn't tell anyone about it, she berated herself for buying a dress that she in the moment thought she wouldn't use, and she moved to Nantucket right before the wedding.

There's more to say, but it would be spoilerish to the other seasons, so I'll take it to the AYITL season 1 discussion.

Edited by junienmomo
14 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I can fanwank that the wedding was supposed to take place in the evening, giving Emily time to travel back. I honestly think it's a simple cut and dry case of ASP wanting Emily's last scene to take place in that gorgeous new house, to  convey her new stage of life. It wouldn't have been as poignant if she was shown driving in a car as her last shot.

I admit it, I have a crazy soft spot for Dean (though I so rooted for Logan by the end of S7, but that's another story), and I'm so glad he got a good resolution. But I wonder if part of what Rory was saying about who he was to her as a boyfriend, teaching her about being safe, wishing she had met him when she was older, perhaps tipped a hand to her pregnancy and the decisions she'll have to make. To put it another way: does Logan make her feel safe? And if not, then is he who she wants in her life now that she's pregnant?

Or maybe I'm just biased because I couldn't believe how hot JP became. Finally, Dean had good hair! Just took eight seasons...

I am a more recent GG fan--I watched the series through just this fall--and I thought ASP lost the thread somewhere in season five. Funny that this quartet felt like season five repackaged.

I admit it, I have a crazy soft spot for Dean (though I so rooted for Logan by the end of S7, but that's another story), and I'm so glad he got a good resolution. But I wonder if part of what Rory was saying about who he was to her as a boyfriend, teaching her about being safe, wishing she had met him when she was older, perhaps tipped a hand to her pregnancy and the decisions she'll have to make. To put it another way: does Logan make her feel safe? And if not, then is he who she wants in her life now that she's pregnant?

I think it did tip her hand. Here she saw Dean buying medicine for sick children, having 2+1 on the way. The settled down, stable family man. She showed longing for that security that made sense when the 4 words were said.

2 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I think it did tip her hand. Here she saw Dean buying medicine for sick children, having 2+1 on the way. The settled down, stable family man. She showed longing for that security that made sense when the 4 words were said.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. But that doesn't match up with her considering cutting Logan out of his child's life, not even giving him chance to be there.

1 minute ago, Artsda said:

ITA.  She knew at that point.  In fact, I'm certain she knew before seeing her Dad. 

And honestly, it kinda helps to amplify Dean's cameo.  Of all the characters, he got a really cruddy, drift-away. bad ending. So he needed a cameo just so that Dean/Rory fans could have some resolution.  BUT, I think she looked at Dean and saw the kind of man she would want to be married to (just, not Dean). 

5 minutes ago, dirtypop90 said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you. But that doesn't match up with her considering cutting Logan out of his child's life, not even giving him chance to be there.

Contrast that with the reality of her relationship with Logan and I think that helped her focus on what a baby would mean.  I think she wanted to know how much, from Christopher's perspective, it mattered to be barely involved.  I'm not convinced she's going to cut Logan out but Rory is (at last) doing her research again and considering the implications of raising a baby without the father (even if she wanted him involved, he may not want it).  And I think the conversation with Dean helped to ground her back to her "authentic" self. The one she was proud of.  So, there was Dean. HAPPY -- even with the chickenpox and snot.  I think seeing him helped her prioritize what matters to her.  And it's not the life of being the "other woman", a member of the LDB, a free-spirit with no attachments.  I think she's finally ready for those attachments.  Even if it means just her and a baby (and a mother, grandmother, stepdad, and town full of eclectic people). 

Of course if they have a second season of this revival, we'll get to see her debate every step of this situation.  If not, I'm going with Rory getting a good example of where to aim. Which is why I think she'll have the baby, with or without Logan's involvement.  

I think a second season hinges on everyone coming back, Netflix would probably do it in a heartbeat because like has been said, they do tend to give out second seasons (see Fuller House). But I don't know if the cast can or would do another season. 

The only feeling that these four movies left me with was that I feel old! I found all the displaced awkward cameos, Amy's neverending hard- on for The L& D Brigade and sitting through all the lame ways ASP recycled actors from her other failed shows just exhausting. ( I was shocked Sherilynn Fenn didn't show up!)

I found the blatant neglect of Lane  just astounding. I mean ASP couldn't have given up a few Logan or Kirk scenes for some more Lane?

That musical? Just a waste. If you are going to have a musical about Stars Hollow...how about including characters/actors to perform that have been on the show for years!

Bless Liza..Paris rocked!

Listen I love LG & AB. And I found their performances to be lovely. But, the studio lighting was so bright on their faces, it was like watching two ghosts. That, plus all the face fillers. Just distracting at times.

Last, but never least...the saving grace of all 4 movies was the brilliant Kelly Bishop. Not only did she breathe incredible life and intelligence into this revival, I thought she looked 1,000 times better than most of the younger cast!!!

Anyway, it's been great reading all your comments.

Edited by rags

Hey, I have a crazy thought - maybe Rory doesn't turn into Lorelai after this, she marries Logan and turns into Emily (as she was 50 years ago, not the current awesome Emily). Their kid gets pregnant as a teenager, runs away from them and cuts them off for years until she needs money for her kid. How's that for full circle?

I can already picture Rory being snotty to maids and everyone she considers "beneath her" (we see signs of it in how she treated that parasol kid).

Richard left his fiancée Pennilyn Lott for Emily when they were young, remember?

Richard's mother treated Emily like crap, and doubtless Logan's parents will give Rory similar treatment, so she has that to look forward to!

Would be better if Rory can skip all that "baby, husband and in-laws" bullshit and immediately turn into current awesome Emily (seriously, Emily got the best ending), but we can't have everything.

Edited by Bec

Ok, well thank god this thing dragged itself up from garbage to somewhat passable by the end.

Loved:

• Lorelai’s phone call to Emily and story about Richard. Only Lauren Graham can sell cheesy that well.
  • The Dean closure: He got what he always wanted, a family, kids, seemingly lovely wife. The lack of animosity with him and Rory, and that he isn’t hung up on her was nice.
  • Jess and Luke! Having! Meaningful! Conversations!
  • The Luke/Lorelai exchange and mutual proposal. I'm remembering why I ship them now.
  • Rory writing at Richard’s desk and saying goodbye to her grandparent’s house. It should have been her, it was a refuge for Rory while Lorelai viewed it as a prison.
  • The scene with Chris, Rory actually calling her Dad out for never supporting her. Chris really does come off as the ultimate anti-villain, too weak to achieve anything: Caved to his parents demands, never fought Lorelai for any relationship with Rory, doesn’t seem to have moved on with his life.
  • Rory admitting journalism didn’t work for her. Never thought they’d admit that.
  • Lorelai expanding the Dragonfly with her father’s money, thereby carrying on Richard’s legacy as his businesswoman, empire-building daughter and her using the request to deliberately open the door to a relationship with Emily again.
  • Emily moving on, pulling the finger to the DAR, taking in the entire maid’s family and becoming a museum guide. Also hinting that she might be finding love again but not making it cut and dry.
  • Lorelai’s scene with Sookie was wonderfully natural.
  • The ever-so brief Luke/Lorelai/Rory/Jess dynamic at the end.
  • Kirk did something perfect for the first time in his life!
  • The wedding. They played the song Luke and Lorelai first danced to!

Hated:

• Dragging out the Lorelai goes hiking sequence: The packing her bag shenanigans weren’t funny and were we meant to care about all those random women?
  • The LDB. Just pathetic people who never grew up. And jesus christ, there have been so many long, pointless pieces in this revival (hi SH musical).
  • Rory and Logan acting like some damn star-crossed lovers when they could be together in a second if they wanted. They're just cheaters and horrible people end of story. 
  • So no closure on Paris and her life? 
  • Lane is basically a mute statue now?
  • Uh, why weren’t Jess and Emily at the wedding?
  • They dragged the Paul joke out TO. THE. VERY. LAST. SCENE??

Honestly I never thought I'd get to the end of the revival and go "hey you know who the MVP in this whole thing was? Michel." 

Lots of other posts and thoughts I want to reply to but wanted to get that all out.

Edited by TimetravellingBW

I did laugh at Rory trying to reassure Dean about her book by telling him she would change his name.  I wanted to be like: "Rory, you had a grand total of three boyfriends!  It's not like it would be hard to figure out who was being discussed." 

17 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

I'm doing a re-watch of the series -- just started Season 2 -- and it is so funny to see little things there that are either echoed or contradicted by the miniseries.  Some people here have complained about Michel and Lane being the witnesses at the impromptu pre-wedding (since clearly it should have been Jess and Sukie).  I just watched the episode where Sukie throws an engagement party for Lorelei and Max and says "everyone in town wants to celebrate with you" to which Lorelei replies "Even Michel?"  The answer?  "Well no."  Yet 15 years later he's the guy they wake up to be a witness at the pre-wedding?  Right.  

It didn't seem so strange to me that Michel was there. He wouldn't have necessarily been my first choice, but the revival did play up how much closer they had become since Sookie left, so it made sense to me that he would be there as a close friend of Lorelai's. Lane was the one I struggled with, yeah Lorelai obviously liked her, but she was her daughters best friend, Lorelai and Lane barely exchange two words in any of the four episodes, so I'm not sure why Lane would have been one of the guests for the super secret and more intimate wedding. It would have definitely made more sense to include Sookie, especially after she had just made Lorelai a ton of cakes in her excitement over the wedding 

Throughout Logan and Rory's relationship she has set things up for failure.  The Vegas style relationship she kept talking  about  reminds me of when they were first doing the casual dating thing.  I think Logan was hoping she would change her mind, just like she had done then and fully commit.  He looked disappointed whenever she reminded him of their arrangement.  On the flipside, she wanted to be chosen but I have to wonder how many times he chose her and she rejected him.  Regardless of whether or not Asp watched season 7, I thought Logan played a guy that will always pine for the girl that turned down his proposal,  better to have her in some way than not at all.   Or maybe I just really like Matt Czuchry.

Emily changing shoes really symbolized her growth. However I also think her white keds were a total Dirty Dancing reference.  Right after that scene, Rory mentions loving Jerry Orbach on old L&O.

I think a second season hinges on everyone coming back, Netflix would probably do it in a heartbeat because like has been said, they do tend to give out second seasons (see Fuller House). But I don't know if the cast can or would do another season. 

It may be a little base, but I presume if the money is right, and they are available, they will come back.   

I also wondered if Emily had ever been to Nantucket during the winter.  She might find that those summer charms vanish pretty quickly when you realize you are snowed in on an island.

On a sidenote, I did think the right-sized portrait of Richard was very well done.  The artist really captured him.   

9 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

<snip>

On a sidenote, I did think the right-sized portrait of Richard was very well done.  The artist really captured him.   

It would such a nice tribute if the prop dept. gave the portrait to the Herrmann family, wouldn't it?

8 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

54 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

It may be a little base, but I presume if the money is right, and they are available, they will come back.   

Thinking about this, I'd say it looks more "do-able" for the second go, if Netflix wants to do it. Look at how many characters effectively got a "good-bye" and how many would actually be needed to sign on for the theoretical re-revival.

No need for: Dean, Christopher, Colin, Finn, Robert, cameos by Amy's "Bunheads" crew, "Parenthood" alums, Naomi Shropshire, various magazine and website offices, Liz, TJ,  (since apparently they could just be spoken of but not seen), random townies who are easily replaced. Dancers could appear at Patty's, but Liz Torres could skip the filming (she doesn't look like she's very well, honestly). April could be written as having finished at MIT and living in Denver or something. In other words... the cameo parade doesn't need to be repeated. They can pare down the speaking actor list quite a bit. 

Nice to haves, but would miss: Emily could be a complete part-timer if Kelly Bishop wanted it that way, since she only has to be seen for 2 weeks in the summer and 1 week at Christmas. Jess could be quick "pebble in the pond" scenes unless Milo turns out to be free for the whole 3 month shooting schedule. Sookie's story had enough closure, they could write the show without her. Michel's too. (Wouldn't feel great, but they could do it.) Paris's story had somewhere to go, as Rory's friend, but Doyle, the nanny & kids don't need to be an on-screen part of it. Same with Lane. Hep Alien... not really necessary.

Must haves: Rory, Lorelai, Luke, Babette, Taylor, Kirk, Gypsy, and some pop-ups by Logan, I guess, if he's the father. But they could get around Logan being the father, if they had to, since it was never stated definitively that he is. Every one else could be relegated to "if available" status. That's a pretty reasonably sized cast to have to get together on a regular basis, and I'll bet with a three month shooting schedule, it'd be pretty do-able.

The new show would center around Rory's single motherhood, the expanded Dragonfly, Rory's next steps in her life. The Luke and Lorelai pairing would likely become background, since the Palladinos don't seem to know what to do with content couples.

I'm just saying... I'll bet they give it a go.

3 minutes ago, CalamityBoPeep said:

Thinking about this, I'd say it looks more "do-able" for the second go, if Netflix wants to do it. Look at how many characters effectively got a "good-bye" and how many would actually be needed to sign on for the theoretical re-revival.

Agreed.  I thought the same thing, about some of the goodbyes.  Sukie, especially.  What purpose was served by having her officially move away for good?  They could have just as easily left the show with her being back taking over the kitchen at the Dragonfly.  Instead she got a send-off, which makes it easy to justify her not returning.

I've also been wondering if that explains why MC apparently read all four complete scripts including the last four words, when apparently very few people had that kind of access.  It would make sense to me, if you were planning to have Logan be the dad, to make sure the actor was amenable to doing more (even if his availability is not locked in).  "Rory's going to be pregnant at the end of the show.  Are you going to be interested in reprising this role in another season?"

I've also been wondering if that explains why MC apparently read all four complete scripts including the last four words, when apparently very few people had that kind of access.

If you are in an episode you get the script. That explains why MC read all the scripts. 

Why doesn't Rory teach at a public school? I'm sure Stars Hollow High would be thrilled to get a Yale graduate on staff and she could pursue her Master's Degree on her own terms.

Connecticut has pretty strict rules for teaching in a public school. She would need to be certified, which at the very least would require going through a fast-track program for certification. I can't see her doing that; she doesn't care about people other than herself enough to do that.

11 minutes ago, Aloeonatable said:

If you are in an episode you get the script. That explains why MC read all the scripts. 

That makes sense.  I thought I read somewhere that most people outside of the main credited four cast members just got the scenes they were in, but I may have misunderstood.

Anyway, I went ahead and started a S2 speculation topic, if anyone wants to continue to discuss.

14 minutes ago, BrittaBot said:

Connecticut has pretty strict rules for teaching in a public school. She would need to be certified, which at the very least would require going through a fast-track program for certification. I can't see her doing that; she doesn't care about people other than herself enough to do that.

Yea.  Most states in the Northeast are very strict.  Here in PA you have to have state certification with a teaching degree.  At minimum, at least in our school district, you have to at least be working toward a masters in education to get a job.  ,

It's also  pretty difficult to find a job.  The field is saturated with qualified teachers.  Many of our college grads move south to find a position.

Edited by Meow25
48 minutes ago, Aloeonatable said:

31 minutes ago, photo fox said:

That makes sense.  I thought I read somewhere that most people outside of the main credited four cast members just got the scenes they were in, but I may have misunderstood.

Anyway, I went ahead and started a S2 speculation topic, if anyone wants to continue to discuss.

The actors in the episode did get the scripts for the episodes they were in but they didn't get the last four words.  ASP & DP shared the last 4 words with both Matt and Milo because they both mentioned it in interviews.  Kelly Bishop, on the other hand, did not know what they were until she specifically asked someone on the production team so I get the impression they weren't widely known to everyone who was in the episode.

Edited by NumberCruncher

I watched mostly for "my Gilmore Girl" -- Emily, knowing full well I was going to have to accept the loss of Richard and praying like hell they weren't going to destroy "my girl".  I'm happy they didn't leave her in the t-shirt and jeans, but I'm sad she's geographically more distant to Lorelai.  Kind of would have liked to see her in a slightly different situation, possibly running a business of her own with Michel as her second in command.  Really felt ASP was blurring the lines between Emily and the character she played in Bunheads several times along the way to the end.    

Interesting Rory wound up with nothing to show for all those years of education to fulfill her great potential.  Force of nature?  I don't think so.  Self absorbed brat?  Yep, she fulfilled that potential to the brim and then some.  Despite being raised by Lorelai she managed to come away with some of Christopher's less than stellar attributes as well.  She's going to have to shake it off if that baby has any hope of becoming a decent human being.

At least Lorelai showed some signs of growth.  About time, she's knocking on the door of 50 this time around.  Pathetic that Rory is now the age Lorelai was when we met her and has no more to recommend her than when we left her.  Even more pathetic that Lorelai would for a moment consider saying her vows without Emily there to see it, but of course that wouldn't fit with the preordained ending.

That's my biggest quibble with these new episodes, much of it felt forced to fit plotline or ways to fit in different characters, rather than organic.  I expected to be annoyed by Kirk -- mission accomplished.  Especially Dean, Sookie and Christopher felt crammed in -- and Christopher's came with the added bonus of knowing that full circle trumpet wasn't being blown for no reason.  Knowing the inspiration for Lane's character really made me even more indignant on her behalf this go around.  Instead we had time for the completely self indulgent Life and Death Brigade sequence ASP has no doubt been dreaming of since the late sixties. Even reached the sad understanding that Lorelai's naming of Rory was -- nothing more than a slow burning plot device after all this time, one that didn't leave a great aroma behind.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 11:53 PM, junienmomo said:

How was Emily going to get back from Nantucket to attend the wedding the next day?

Maybe Steven Weber was going to fly  her.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:56 AM, Taryn74 said:

"Mom?" "Yeah?" "I'm pregnant."  Both a shock and shockingly underwhelming at the same time.  Those may have been ASP's 'four words' since the beginning, but I don't believe for a moment this is the journey she had planned to get us there.  Rory mostly content to be Richie Rich's chippie on the side, and end up pregnant with his child?  No way.  

I'm on the underwhelming and disappointing train.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 4:10 PM, Kanena said:

This was the least inspired episode of the mini-series. The whole Wild thing with Lorelei and Across The Universe sequence with the LDB where painful to watch (kind of like Lorelei

I cringed through the musical and the other Stars Hollows residents' reaction to it, agreeing with a reviewer who said that 20 minutes was spent on something that deserved 20 seconds.  But I liked the Wild thing and the LDB sequence.  I didn't watch the last few seasons of GG, so I wasn't familiar with the LDB guys.  I liked the surreal element that part injected into the story.  And I LOVED that they poked fun at the "Wild" experience. I started to watch the movie on a flight last year and had to turn it off after 20 minutes, as my eyes were about to roll right out of my head.