Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Fall

• Start Topic

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could only deal by watching this episode backward, scene by scene.  Done that way, I was ok with how it ended.

My main quibble is that, no matter what Christopher may claim and this show has always pushed, Rory is not a "force of nature."  She's smart, sure, but kind of an emotional fuck-up, and has in some ways been stunted by a lack of consequences. I'm hopeful for her at the end, though.  Although the obvious parallel is that she's following in her mother's path, she's starting on that path from a very different point.  She's highly educated, will never lack for emotional (or, honestly, financial) support, and has some concept of what's ahead of her.

In fact, I probably respect her most for her choice to go it alone, at least at first, at least for now.  I'm seeing reactions from various "teams" about lack of closure, and how it's all very open to interpretation, and I guess it is.  However, for me, there are some logical "and thens," as long as I believe that Rory doesn't intend to be 100% a dick.  She'll tell Logan about the pregnancy at some point.  Unless Odette is prepared to start the "dynasty" off knowing she's been cheated on and that Logan is about to be a father of someone else's baby, that marriage will be off.  Logan may, in fact, go the Christopher route, or he may grow the fuck up and be there for his kid.  And Rory may stay single, or find someone new, or reconcile with Logan, or co-parent with Logan, or someday end up with Jess, but not on such an obvious rebound.  I mean--watch it backwards like I did.  Knowing what we know by the end, every conversation, every decision, every relationship note makes sense.  All in all, I'm optimistic.  And Luke is made to be a step-grandpa.

ETA: Or, obv, Rory could choose to terminate her pregnancy.

Edited by some1105

I did the backwards watch and it was totally worth it. I'd been running both Winter and Fall on two different screens until Fall made me stop watching Winter.

That was quite a rework of Christopher's personality, but Rory asking the questions to understand his perspective at Lorelai being the sole parent is a great thing! I love that she's writing Gilmore Girls. Agreed on her not being a force of nature.

The wedding was not what I expected but the last-minute decision to do it that way was very good. 

2 hours ago, some1105 said:

Logan may, in fact, go the Christopher route, or (...)

I think if the revival established anything it's that Logan is Christopher, or Rory's Christopher at any rate, and in hindsight it looks like that's where ASP was heading all along. If so, any fantasy of Logan getting his shit together and being the parent Christopher never was is just that, a fantasy.

I'm really disappointed that Jess is still single and still pining over Rory. At least he otherwise appears to be doing well. Yay for Dean being happily married, though.

There's something really sad about Rory, for all her ambitions and excellent education, being eventually trapped in the same type of life as her mom: single, back in Stars Hollow (working at a local newspaper, no less), and pregnant by a garbage babydaddy. I guess that's where ASP always wanted Rory to end up, though. And honestly, Rory didn't exactly cover herself in glory either as a journalist or as a person in the revival, either, so maybe it's all she deserves. Rory writing a book about Lorelai and herself also seems in keeping with Rory and Lorelai's supreme self-absorption, so that fits.

ETA: So...Mitchum was right about Rory back in Season 5?

Edited by Eyes High

I know this is annoying, but can someone please take pity on someone who can't watch these yet even though she really wants to and answer just a few questions? 

1. Am I correct in saying that Rory ends up working for the Stars Hollow paper? That actually makes sense in a way

2. Rory is pregnant with Logan's baby and doesn't tell him about it? As I said, I hate Logan and Rory/Logan, and since it sounds like this revival did make it clear that Logan is Rory's Christopher, I doubt this revival will change my opinion

3. Does Emily end up in a good place? What is she doing? 

4. Did L/L get married? Are there plans for a kid via surrogacy or adoption? Is Lorelai still running the inn by the end? Do LL seem happy?

5. Jess still has feelings for Rory; does she have any for him? Are there signs that they may end up together, or is Rory done with the men from her past?

Thank you so much to anyone who answers these. I'm in a bit of a bind and can't see these for myself, so knowing these things will be the high point of my Thanksgiving weekend! 

I know people are pissed at the ending but that's the point of this being only S1. Clearly netflix intends for more to happen. No worries though, they clearly wrote this episode with the intention they were coming back for more.

Just be happy that it's clear as day that Jess has feelings for Rory and it's clearly telling us they're Luke/Lorelie 2.0 while Logan is Chris 2.0

To answer the top question, #4 is a yes, they don't get married but they decide that they will.

1 hour ago, Blandings said:

I know this is annoying, but can someone please take pity on someone who can't watch these yet even though she really wants to and answer just a few questions? 

1. Am I correct in saying that Rory ends up working for the Stars Hollow paper? That actually makes sense in a way

2. Rory is pregnant with Logan's baby and doesn't tell him about it? As I said, I hate Logan and Rory/Logan, and since it sounds like this revival did make it clear that Logan is Rory's Christopher, I doubt this revival will change my opinion

3. Does Emily end up in a good place? What is she doing? 

4. Did L/L get married? Are there plans for a kid via surrogacy or adoption? Is Lorelai still running the inn by the end? Do LL seem happy?

5. Jess still has feelings for Rory; does she have any for him? Are there signs that they may end up together, or is Rory done with the men from her past?

Thank you so much to anyone who answers these. I'm in a bit of a bind and can't see these for myself, so knowing these things will be the high point of my Thanksgiving weekend! 

1. Rory is the editor, but I'm not sure she stays the editor
  2. She hasn't had a chance to tell Logan yet
  3. Emily is happy, but I am not seeing it for her. Those people are too weird
  4. Yes, married on the night before the scheduled wedding, no kids, yes very happy. They work through stuff.
  5. Jess appears to be left as an option for the not-yet-existing episode around Rory's pregnancy. Luke noticed Jess still has feelings for Rory
Edited by junienmomo
clarified that LL married
Just now, Blandings said:

Juniemomo, I can never thank you enough! I think I'm going to enjoy the L/L stuff a lot. Less convinced that I'll love the Rory scenes, but hope springs eternal! 

Fall is so amazing. I loved almost everything. I watched it first, am just finishing Summer and will watch Fall again this evening.

10 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I don't care about the other stuff but I hope to God someone posts the scene of the proposal and wedding. Just reading about it in the online recaps makes me giddy.

And Emily quitting the DAR? Using "bullshit" three times?! Must. See. This!

I know I'm being evil to you, but which one of the proposals? They were both so low key that there's no cliffhanger or big drama around the proposals. They both were, however, very true to the happy LL we know from the original series and the one in this series.

You will love the wedding. 

Oh wow, those pictures are amazing! 

I told myself I wouldn't pester you folks with more questions, but I need to know what the final four words were! 

And does it seem like Rory might have feelings for both Jess and Logan? Does Logan want to commit to her?

Final four words were guessable.

Spoiler

Mom.

Yeah.

I'm pregnant.

14 minutes ago, Blandings said:

Oh wow, those pictures are amazing! 

I told myself I wouldn't pester you folks with more questions, but I need to know what the final four words were! 

And does it seem like Rory might have feelings for both Jess and Logan? Does Logan want to commit to her?

I had no sense that Rory had either feelings at the surface for Jess, nor that she saw what Luke saw. Rory definitely has feelings for Logan.

Quick thoughts:

- Rory writing a book.  It's what she should do.
- L/L getting married.
- Sookie's whirlwind return scene was so very comfortable and well played.
- Dean's return scene was also very comfortable and well played. And 1000% better closure than what the character had before.
- Jess is still the coolest cool to ever cool. 
- The last four words. I really expected that was coming as soon as the re-do was announced but I think it fits the theme of the show very well.

Bothered by:
- Rory's current state.  Adulting is hard but she had such good roots and opportunities.  I'm not talking about the pregnancy. I'm talking about how it feels like she's still not "there".
- Logan's baby? Not happy about that.  I get the literary parallels and I'm not a big shipper but it just doesn't feel remotely "right".
- Rory: when Dean hesitated, and you said that lovely speech... he probably wants to know if you are going to mention the extramarital affair?  And the answer is "likely, yes."  And he probably will be okay with it but you should let him know before you publish so he can make sure his current wife is ready for it.
- I get the "why" of the wedding plan changes and it was beautiful... but I want to know which cake she picked.

Haven't watched because I wasn't that interested, so I just checked here to see what happened. Good to know that Rory's inconsiderate selfishness of cheating with a guy that started with Dean, was just more of the same to come. Great. I started hating Rory when she hit college and quickly got over both her and Lorelai after that. Good to know that likely will not change. 

And suggesting Jess pining for Rory is the writer's shitty way of still trying to have her cake and eat it too. The poor Rory/Jess fans can still delusionally hold on to the possibility of them, while the Rory/Logan shippers can celebrate Rory's having his baby. At least the writer was kind enough to make Dean move on.  I'm just shocked they didn't ruin him like Sex & The City 2 did to Aidan and have him call Rory the love of his life even if he's married with kids. Because apparently no man ever moves on from Rory who is the dullest, most personality less bore that ever was. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

Rory is the editor, but I'm not sure she stays the editor

She hasn't had a chance to tell Logan yet

Emily is happy, but I am not seeing it for her. Those people are too weird

Yes, married on the night before the scheduled wedding, no kids, yes very happy. They work through stuff.

Jess appears to be left as an option for the not-yet-existing episode around Rory's pregnancy. Luke noticed Jess still has feelings for Rory

Why is this stuff posted in the Fall thread, which is the only one i've been reading because I DIDN'T want to be spoiled!

2 hours ago, Nostariel said:

I feel the same way about this as I did the Harry Potter epilogue: MEH.

2016 is proving to be a real garbage fire of a year.

Yep.  I thought this was a letdown.  Perhaps I expected too much but I should have known when ASP kept saying that she was so excited to be able to write her original ending...which might have worked 10 years ago but not so much now.  This revival felt stale and as I suspected, the character stagnation/regression was off-the-charts for Rory.  Aimlessness and stupid decision making are entirely expected when you're an early 20-something.  It's not so cute when you're in your 30s.  Am I supposed to root for Rory at 32 to basically turn into Lorelai at 16?  Sorry, but that ending was gross.

The other thing I don't get is that I know ASP wanted to ignore S7 which I totally understand, but seems she wanted to ignore her own S6 too.

21 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

And suggesting Jess pining for Rory is the writer's shitty way of still trying to have her cake and eat it too. The poor Rory/Jess fans can still delusionally hold on to the possibility of them, while the Rory/Logan shippers can celebrate Rory's having his baby. At least the writer was kind enough to make Dean move on. 

I think this was ASP's way of making sure that none of the shipper crowd was happy.  You could tell how exasperated she would get whenever anyone brought the subject up.  I don't suspect either Jess or Logan fans were happy.  What little we did see of Jess wasn't worth watching his pining, puppy dog look at the end.  I imagine Logan fans weren't happy with that ending either since it's dubious as to whether Rory even intends to tell him he's the father.  Dean actually got a decent ending which his fans should be grateful for since Rory would have undoubtedly run him over like a freight train like she always does.

Edited by NumberCruncher
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Bless you. But we don't get to see the official ceremony with the dress and everything? Boo!

True, we did not get to see the wedding 'party' the next day. The budget for the Steely Dan flash mob must have been too high. LOL 

Did anyone see the chuppah in this episode?

I'm guessing we're only allowed to discuss this final episode in this thread, so just to let you guys know, I asked some general revival questions in the "all episodes" thread! 

The poor Rory/Jess fans can still delusionally hold on to the possibility of them, while the Rory/Logan shippers can celebrate Rory's having his baby. At least the writer was kind enough to make Dean move on.  

Ha! Yeah, it's kind of hard not to view it that way :) I'm very interested to hear how people interpreted the (non)-ending between her and Logan: whether we're supposed to see the Lorelai/Christopher parallels and therefore feel like Rory/Logan aren't meant to be, or whether we're supposed to believe/want/expect etc. that maybe they'll eventually get together...? I get that we're supposed to applaud Rory for deciding to go through this pregnancy on her own (though she'll obviously have her mom and Emily for anything she needs), but I couldn't help being reminded of what Anna did to Luke by not telling him he was a father and wonder if she's going to go that route by never telling Logan. 

As for Jess, I have to agree with Junie: I didn't see any indication that she had romantic feelings for him, and this is coming from someone who'd have preferred that she end up with Jess over Logan. But of COURSE Jess is still holding some sort of torch for her because...well, she's RORY! (*sigh*) 

The LL ending was...fine? I'm sure if I shipped them I'd have thought it was one of the best things about the revival, but they seemed as lacking in chemistry and joy to me through the most of the revival as they did through most of their time together on the series, so I'm not as excited about it as I should be. 

I'll ramble about my overall thoughts on the All Episode thread and hope to see you guys there! 

Well. That happened. Seriously. I'm kind of disappointed. The phone call to Emily from Lorelei was nice but aside from that? I'm happy Luke and Lorelei are married now but everything else? 

Rory is having Logan's baby, a guy who is engaged to somebody else and therefore she may or may not raise the kid by herself or with him. Jess is still in love with her and I also agree I don't think any of their scenes indicated Rory's feelings for him. Jess's feelings were obvious, Rory's are not with those two.

i kind of think I much prefer the season 7 ending with Rory going off single and reporting on Obamas presidential run. 

If we get a season 9 (???) I don't see Rory going back to Logan. I think she may tell him and let the ball be in his court as to if he'll be a father or not, but perhaps part of her conversation with her dad is to get an idea of how Logan thinks. They may not be exactly the same person, but there are similarities. I think their ending was final, especially because Logan isn't invested in them the same way she is/was.

I think Jess is to Rory what Luke is to Lorelai just under different circumstances. 

SUPER disappointed in that ending. I guess other people are saying there's going to be more? I didn't realize. I try to avoid press, to avoid spoilers. So when I finished, I literally thought that was all we were getting. Rory's pregnant. The end. Okay, even if they're going to do more, still not super loving it. 

I hated the beginning as well. The Life and Death Brigade stuff was never my favorite. But to see people in the their mid 30s running around like college kids was just pathetic. Nevermind the fact that Logan is engaged to someone else, but it's supposed to be all whimsical and romantic? No. 

I also hated the Lorelei ran off to go hiking storyline. But I liked that it was more about the issues with her parents than anything else. And I appreciated that she could FINALLY give Emily a good story about Richard. 

The middle half had a lot of good stuff. I'm glad Rory is going ahead with the book. I cried bunches as she settled into the Gilmore manse and heard the echos of all the Friday Night Dinners past. 

I like seeing Emily find herself now that she's a widow. She put herself 100% into her marriage and husband what society thought she should be. And I'm sure a lot of that was her. But I like that she's realizing she doesn't LIKE all of that stuff. Not anymore. Eff the DAR; I'm moving to the beach and working at a museum. It made me smile. 

Didn't like the Sookie return. Didn't seem like Sookie at all. 

I'm now officially back on the Jess train. So there's that. Thanks for ruining it by making her pregnant with someone else's baby. I just don't like where Rory is at. She's 32. She seems 22. Or mid-late 20s even. Why is she still so fumbling and uncertain? It seems like they're setting it up for Logan to be her Christopher and Jess to be her Luke? Or who freaking knows. It's just disappointed. I don't feel like this is the Rory I imagined in my mind when she left at the end of season 7.

I think my favorite part, though, was L/L getting married to the song they danced to at Liz and TJ's wedding. The little callbacks like that made me happy. I'm glad I watched, but on the other hand - kind of wish they never did it.  

5 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

SUPER disappointed in that ending. I guess other people are saying there's going to be more? I didn't realize. I try to avoid press, to avoid spoilers. So when I finished, I literally thought that was all we were getting. Rory's pregnant. The end. Okay, even if they're going to do more, still not super loving it. 

I hated the beginning as well. The Life and Death Brigade stuff was never my favorite. But to see people in the their mid 30s running around like college kids was just pathetic. Nevermind the fact that Logan is engaged to someone else, but it's supposed to be all whimsical and romantic? No. 

I also hated the Lorelei ran off to go hiking storyline. But I liked that it was more about the issues with her parents than anything else. And I appreciated that she could FINALLY give Emily a good story about Richard. 

The middle half had a lot of good stuff. I'm glad Rory is going ahead with the book. I cried bunches as she settled into the Gilmore manse and heard the echos of all the Friday Night Dinners past. 

I like seeing Emily find herself now that she's a widow. She put herself 100% into her marriage and husband what society thought she should be. And I'm sure a lot of that was her. But I like that she's realizing she doesn't LIKE all of that stuff. Not anymore. Eff the DAR; I'm moving to the beach and working at a museum. It made me smile. 

Didn't like the Sookie return. Didn't seem like Sookie at all. 

I'm now officially back on the Jess train. So there's that. Thanks for ruining it by making her pregnant with someone else's baby. I just don't like where Rory is at. She's 32. She seems 22. Or mid-late 20s even. Why is she still so fumbling and uncertain? It seems like they're setting it up for Logan to be her Christopher and Jess to be her Luke? Or who freaking knows. It's just disappointed. I don't feel like this is the Rory I imagined in my mind when she left at the end of season 7.

I think my favorite part, though, was L/L getting married to the song they danced to at Liz and TJ's wedding. The little callbacks like that made me happy. I'm glad I watched, but on the other hand - kind of wish they never did it.  

There we nice little moments I agree but Now that I've watched, I too wish it hadn't happened. And the life and death stuff is really stupid. 

SUPER disappointed in that ending. I guess other people are saying there's going to be more? I didn't realize. I try to avoid press, to avoid spoilers.

I don't think there IS going to be more, at least not anything that's been confirmed! I think there's been vague talk of maybe wanting to, but to my knowledge there's nothing definitive at all. 

So when I finished, I literally thought that was all we were getting. Rory's pregnant. The end.

Ha---yeah, sadly, that might be the end outside of fanfic! 

Dear god I despise the Life and Death Brigade. They're more insufferable now than they were then. 

Oh because it's like Christopher and Lorelai, could never move on from each other. Sex was soooooo great! Just like constantly forgetting to break up with Paul. After Spring, he should have been gone instead of: "Damn, keep forgetting to break up with him." So, basically since the series began, AS-P wanted Rory to end up like Lorelai with a "hot" baby daddy who can't have the balls to either man up or something. I mean, the living with fiance he was living with. Sorry, i highly doubt the Comic con Cosplayer or Paul are the father of Rory's baby. Most likely, she will have a girl too and the Gilmore name can continue. The musical was too much. AS-P is still full of herself and apparently wants to get a Bunheads rival too. I can see doing another season of Netflix Gilmore Girls, but this was too much. The wedding, nice. 

20 minutes ago, readster said:

So, basically since the series began, AS-P wanted Rory to end up like Lorelai with a "hot" baby daddy who can't have the balls to either man up or something

The thing is, though - Logan WANTED to marry Rory. She didn't. I agreed with her. So I'm not saying she missed out on some big thing. But they clearly still have feelings for each other, so I don't have much sympathy for her in the "baby daddy" department, because she could have had him 100% if she wanted to. 

1 minute ago, ghoulina said:

The thing is, though - Logan WANTED to marry Rory. She didn't. I agreed with her. So I'm not saying she missed out on some big thing. But they clearly still have feelings for each other, so I don't have much sympathy for her in the "baby daddy" department, because she could have had him 100% if she wanted to. 

Well considering that ASP wanted nothing to do with S7 there technically was no proposal in her mind so it's a moot point.

I may be in the minority but I loved it, especially this last episode.

I began tearing up at the house as Rory went through it and remembered all the good times there as well as her starting her writing in her Grandpa's office. The tears continued as Lorelei took a look at her father's painting after her mother told her she was selling the house. Admittedly, I am very weird place emotionally this year - my grandfather died in May and I spent the last few months helping get his house ready for sale with my parents. It sold last month and that last visit hit me very hard. I was crying, not ashamed to admit it, but I also understood completely where Emily was coming from. Sometimes you need to literally leave the past behind you if you are going to move on.

I was trying to understand why Rory felt the need to ask Christopher those questions after all these years but it all made sense when she revealed she was pregnant. I am having a lot of trouble connecting with Rory but that has more to do with my own personal baggage rather than her. When I was her age (32 which, to put in context, was 10 years ago) I was recently widowed with two teenage daughters (don't judge). I look at her and think grow up but I don't think that she is inherently selfish, just unaware of the real world and how to behave in it. She has a college education and a ton of opportunities but she is so focused on what she thinks she should do that she doesn't see the bigger picture. I hope that if they do a second season these issues get explored. What she is doing now (the book & editing the Stars Hollow Gazette) isn't a step down, it is just different direction than she had originally planned and may end up being better for her, and her child, in the long run.

I was petrified that they were going to end the series with Emily suddenly dying as Lorelei finally married Luke. The way they were cutting between the two scenes, I almost expected that we would see Emily's hand drop and the wine glass hit the grass as the wedding band went on Lorelei's finger. Like I said, in a weird place emotionally this year. I am so grateful that they didn't kill her off.

ETA: I really like that the money set aside to franchise Luke's Diner is now being used to expand Lorelei's business. It makes the most sense to me.

Edited by cmahorror
4 minutes ago, cmahorror said:

I may be in the minority but I loved it, especially this last episode.

Same here.  I started crying with Lorelai's call to Emily and never really stopped, haha.  I loved when Lorelai went to Emily at the end and had the same conversation about needing money as in the pilot.  I loved, loved Emily's whaling demonstration!  I was loudly ugly crying at Luke's speech in the kitchen when Lorelai came back.  Just.Loved.It.

1 minute ago, LeafontheWind said:

Maybe I am just being overly picky about semantics, but I am pretty sure that those last four words only count as three. Unless I am hearing a contraction where there wasn't one... Anyone happen to have the closed captioning on?

Spoiler

Rory: Mom?

Lorelai: Yeah?

Rory: I'm pregnant.

4 words. 

1 minute ago, LeafontheWind said:

Maybe I am just being overly picky about semantics, but I am pretty sure that those last four words only count as three. Unless I am hearing a contraction where there wasn't one... Anyone happen to have the closed captioning on?

They count "Mom" -1, "What" - 2, "I'm pregnant" -3,4

10 minutes ago, NumberCruncher said:

Well considering that ASP wanted nothing to do with S7 there technically was no proposal in her mind so it's a moot point.

Well, I wish I could erase season 7 from my mind, but I can't. I'm glad she sees it that way, but I can't really operate under the impression that it didn't happen. 

2 minutes ago, LeafontheWind said:

They're counting the conversation. 

Rory: "Mom..."
Lorelei : "Yeah?"

Rory: "I'm pregnant."

2 minutes ago, LeafontheWind said:

Mom...

What?

I'm pregnant.

I don't think ASP ever said it was one sentence or that only one character would say it - it's the last piece of the conversation.

4 minutes ago, Mrs. DuRona said:

Same here.  I started crying with Lorelai's call to Emily and never really stopped, haha.  I loved when Lorelai went to Emily at the end and had the same conversation about needing money as in the pilot.  I loved, loved Emily's whaling demonstration!  I was loudly ugly crying at Luke's speech in the kitchen when Lorelai came back.  Just.Loved.It.

Oh, I liked it quite a bit.  And honestly, I WANTED Rory to be pregnant at the end ... that was my guess all along and I thought it had lovely parallels.  I just didn't need/want the Christopher parallel.  

31 minutes ago, cmahorror said:

I was petrified that they were going to end the series with Emily suddenly dying as Lorelei finally married Luke. The way they were cutting between the two scenes, I almost expected that we would see Emily's hand drop and the wine glass hit the grass as the wedding band went on Lorelei's finger. Like I said, in a weird place emotionally this year. I am so grateful that they didn't kill her off.

When she bent down to put her shoes on, I was terrified she was going to have a stroke or something! I don't know why,but I got that feeling too. A lot of spouses do die within a short period of time. My grandfather's health went severely downhill after my grandma died, and he was dead in less than a year. Of course, he was 90, not the late 60s/early 70s that Emily probably is. 

Edited by ghoulina
5 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Well, I wish I could erase season 7 from my mind, but I can't. I'm glad she sees it that way, but I can't really operate under the impression that it didn't happen. 

I agree with you.  It happened as far as the audience is concerned, just not ASP.  I actually liked Logan through most of S7 because he did grow as a character but she absolutely slaughtered him here.

Edited by NumberCruncher
1 minute ago, ghoulina said:

When she bent down to put her shoes on, I was terrified she was going to have a stroke or something! I don't know why,but I got that feeling two. A lot of spouses do die within a short period of time. My grandfather's health went severely downhill after my grandma died, and he was dead in less than a year. Of course, he was 90, not the late 60s/early 70s that Emily probably is. 

This is so weird.  I went to the same place with the shoes... Emily dying.  Now... WTH.  That's not a coincidence.  There was something going on there.  Perhaps maybe the symbolism was her old life dying and her new one beginning.  That WHALING LESSON and crying children!  It was glorious.

Exactly what I feared would happen, did happen... be careful what you wish for. After 10 years just to get this - and I don't think this would've been a good ending for the show back then, let alone now - I'm not all that enthused at the prospect of how much worse can ASP make things. S7's ending wasn't great but, especially in the face of not knowing at the time if they would get a S8, I give it props for at least trying to wrap itself up and leaving the characters with a modicum of dignity. I guess for Luke/Lorelai's sake there was something to enjoy but I don't think there was ever a question that they would be just fine.

Rory, on the other hand, I can't even. I guess as a Lit. I'm supposed to take the not-so-subtle Jess/Luke and Logan/Christopher parallel as a threadbare silver lining. But it's hard to appreciate it as such when it's done to try to actually replicate the Luke/Lorelai/Christopher triangle from its virtual beginning because Rory's already had her own histories with both guys, and those hadn't followed Lorelai's with Luke and Christopher to a T.

I do think there was some trying to have it both ways with Rory/Jess and Rory/Logan because I'm sure had Rory explicitly ended up with one of them, the other side would've had their pitchforks ready. But in doing that, it's regressed every character involved.