Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Fall

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Ziz said:

Looks like Mitchum was right about Rory all along...she doesn't have "it". Maybe if people hadn't been so obsessed with shooting rainbows up her ass, someone might have said "well, honey, he is an expert. Not saying you have to believe him, but you could take his opinion seriously and consider whether journalism is for you." Instead of "But you're RORY! Mitchum, media mogul knows nothing about who is good at journalism or not."

Plus, she did kind of prove his point. The moment she got any sort of criticism, she stole a boat, got arrested, dropped out of Yale and piggy backed off of her grandmother's DAR job. In the journalism circuit, I'm sure she would be facing plenty of criticism and hardships. We saw Rory deal with criticism before in high school, even. The older she got, the more Rory seemed unfit to become a journalist. And by the revival, it's become lucky that she has such a great support system who can support her while she finds herself at 32. Maybe if she had actually listened to Mitchum ten years earlier, she'd be fine with being a "failure" and be willing to try new things and accept a new path. 

Now she's apparently going to write a book, be an editor for the Stars Hollow Gazette, and raise her baby with her family's help. It's not a bad thing, and I do think editing works for Rory, but she's the one who hasn't expressed excitement over staying in Stars Hollow. I don't think she's going to be particularly happy with sticking around in town, as it seems to remind her of her failure. 

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I don't think she's going to be particularly happy with sticking around in town, as it seems to remind her of her failure. 

Rory was unhappy about being in Stars Hollow when she thought there were other things for her, but if she keeps the baby, I wonder if she'll decide SH isn't such a bad place to be after all. Lane and her family are there, of course Luke and Lorelei are, and if she stays at the paper, Rory will have a job.

I'd never want to live in my hometown as a single person, but it's not a bad place to raise a family.

5 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Rory was unhappy about being in Stars Hollow when she thought there were other things for her, but if she keeps the baby, I wonder if she'll decide SH isn't such a bad place to be after all. Lane and her family are there, of course Luke and Lorelei are, and if she stays at the paper, Rory will have a job.

I'd never want to live in my hometown as a single person, but it's not a bad place to raise a family.

Really good point.  Rory was all over the country on the campaign trail, has been a word traveler, and lived in NYC.  Stars Hollow would be a comedown after that.  But since this is all about full circle, SH makes sense for her new life stage.

8 hours ago, Ziz said:

Looks like Mitchum was right about Rory all along...she doesn't have "it". Maybe if people hadn't been so obsessed with shooting rainbows up her ass, someone might have said "well, honey, he is an expert. Not saying you have to believe him, but you could take his opinion seriously and consider whether journalism is for you." Instead of "But you're RORY! Mitchum, media mogul knows nothing about who is good at journalism or not."

Mixed emotions on this point. Mitchum was absolutely right in that Rory doesn't have the stuff to be either his notion of a good journalist or Christiane Amanpour. But she made a good career for herself. We saw a one year snapshot of her petulantly refusing to face New Order journalism, but her resume is pretty damn good for the previous nine years. We just have to accept the fact that even journalists who win prestigious bylines still can't make a livable income in the New Order.

The year we saw was 2016 and the Rory we saw was jetting off to London with regularity but she couldn't manage to write a single tiny article about one of the (if not the) biggest news story to happen in the UK/Europe in decades? Seriously? Then still in 2016 Rory, a woman who got her career start on a presidential election campaign (and in the early seasons was a big fan of Hilary) has no potential insights she could bring about the biggest news story happening in the US in decades when she is talking to Conde Nast or Sandee? Seriously?

A woman who had idolised Christiane Amanpour and has plenty of money for travelling can't even fathom travelling to Jordan, the Lebanon, or if she is feels like too nervous about those perfectly safe countries; Thessaloniki or Lesvos in Greece, and writing about the refugee crisis. She doesn't think of going to Columbia and writing about one of the biggest stories happening in decades in South America; the unprecedented ceasefire between FARC rebels and the government, followed by the state referendum where the people rejected the proposed peace.

A woman, herself recently bereaved, can't think to write about David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Prince, Gary Shandling, Muhammed Ali, or especially those she would have felt professionally/vocationally connected to like, Morley Safer, Elie Weisel and Harper Lee. And the way the deaths of the famous, especially in a year like 2016, can effect people who never knew them.

But she has nothing to bring to the meetings she goes to, either prepared or that she can think of on her feet, during one of the most turbulent years of her life, and certainly her adulthood. And no idea of how to keep her freelancing career afloat. All she did was moon about over Logan and then follow a suggestion an ex-boyfriend made to write about her own life.

Edited by AllyB
21 minutes ago, AllyB said:

The year we saw was 2016 and the Rory we saw was jetting off to London with regularity but she couldn't manage to write a single tiny article about one of the (if not the) biggest news story to happen in the UK/Europe in decades? Seriously? Then still in 2016 Rory, a woman who got her career start on a presidential election campaign (and in the early seasons was a big fan of Hilary) has no potential insights she could bring about the biggest news story happening in the US in decades when she is talking to Conde Nast or Sandee? Seriously?

A woman who had idolised Christiane Amanpour and has plenty of money for travelling can't even fathom travelling to Jordan, the Lebanon, or if she is feels like too nervous about those perfectly safe countries; Thessaloniki or Lesvos in Greece, and writing about the refugee crisis. She doesn't think of going to Columbia and writing about one of the biggest stories happening in decades in South America; the unprecedented ceasefire between FARC rebels and the government, followed by the state referendum where the people rejected the proposed peace.

A woman, herself recently bereaved, can't think to write about David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Prince, Gary Shandling, Muhammed Ali, or especially those she would have felt professionally/vocationally connected to like, Morley Safer, Elie Weisel and Harper Lee. And the way the deaths of the famous, especially in a year like 2016, can effect people who never knew them.

But she has nothing to bring to the meetings she goes to, either prepared or that she can think of on her feet, during one of the most turbulent years of her life, and certainly her adulthood. And no idea of how to keep her freelancing career afloat. All she did was moon about over Logan and then follow a suggestion an ex-boyfriend made to write about her own life.

Awesome post. It solidifies ASP's 'focus on Rory's career' point. 

Curious that the writers never brought up any of your excellent ideas in the story. (Eye roll)

16 hours ago, Ziz said:

Watch season 6. No one in her circle took it seriously that she might just want to try something different than the path that has been curved before her since she was 6.

I also wouldn't say that Mitchum was totally right, Rory did have some success in the 10 years she worked as a journalist. It just wasn't a sustaining success she envisioned it'd be. She is not unique in that aspect given the current decline of paper journalism. 

4 hours ago, AllyB said:

But but she had to be seemingly seen settling at Stars Hallow uttering those stupid 4 words at the last SECOND of the show.

Rory's whole plot was written around those damned words. Her career arc made no sense in context of, not just season 7, but her whole life as was shown in the original show.

I totally called the last development years and years ago.  I did not know it would be "last four words."

Without a doubt, the Life and Death Brigade sequence from beginning to end was the best thing in any of the four "Season" eps for me.  I loved that it began with the elderly lady at the Gazette.  The art direction was fantastic.  ASP spent some quid and some serious time putting that all together.  Boy, did it pay off.

Logan was always my choice for Rory to marry.  He was very much her grandpa, imo.  Not bio dad.  But, Rory being all about adventure and witticisms refused to be Emily and be a strong wife.  She refused to commit to give him the chance to grow together.  Just like her mom with Luke.  Lorelai got a do-over.  Rory will not.   

The second favorite scene was when Kelly Bishop crushed the moment as Lorelai was relating to her that awesome father/daughter moment.  Emily had her pre-pregnant daughter back.  Just wonderful.  The expressions on her face!  Just marvelous.  Yes.  I loved that for once, more was said without a single, solitary, spoken, word.  

I typically can not stand Kirk but dang, if he didn't finally come through in an important way.  

How pathetic that Lane was the only one who stood for Luke.  I hated the staging of the vows.  Hated.  Then, I was furious how they blocked the actors leaving the gazebo.  For once, could we get just a lovey-dovey Lorelai, enthralled with her love, arm-in-arm with Luke?  Nope.  Instead, we get everyone clearing a path so she could have her own flower petal moment!    No Luke, no nobody, in the frame.  Just Lorelai.  I certainly get that it was a fitting choice.  Lorelai and her child are ridiculously self-absorbed.  But, ASP could have had that one moment be about a married and contented couple.

Without a doubt, the Life and Death Brigade sequence from beginning to end was the best thing in any of the four "Season" eps for me.  I loved that it began with the elderly lady at the Gazette.  The art direction was fantastic.  ASP spent some quid and some serious time putting that all together.  Boy, did it pay off.

Me too - I never had the hate for the Life and Deathers that other people did anyway, but one thing that I really liked about it was that it showed that these are adults, albeit adults still engaging in some of the silliness they used to enjoy from their younger years.  Nobody jumped off any buildings; they dressed up in silly clothes, shot golf balls, rode in a swanky car, and went to a tango club and then a bed and breakfast.  That's a substantially tamer LDB; they even left money in Doose's for the food they took*.

I also liked that these guys are really Rory's friends - she knew about the knee surgery, she's clearly kept up with them at least a little.  That rang true for me - Rory would be the type to keep up with people, even if only in a superficial Facebook kind of way.

*Nitpick: Doose's could not sell wine, given Connecticut liquor laws.   

12 minutes ago, Eeksquire said:

Me too - I never had the hate for the Life and Deathers that other people did anyway, but one thing that I really liked about it was that it showed that these are adults, albeit adults still engaging in some of the silliness they used to enjoy from their younger years.  Nobody jumped off any buildings; they dressed up in silly clothes, shot golf balls, rode in a swanky car, and went to a tango club and then a bed and breakfast.

Broke into small businesses, stole things, drove drunk...

Broke into small businesses, stole things, drove drunk...

Just fueled my disgust for them.  Plus their scene went on and on and on and on.  Time for ASP to play out her fantasies but lent nothing to the story.

How did the LDB add nothing to the story? Rory was at a low level and wanted to be in her 20's again. Meaning when she wasn't disillusioned and lost. It was a fun special ride but in the light of day the real world emerged and Rory finally had to make choices she should have made earlier in the year - To finally grow up and begin living for the now and future instead of holding on to the past-which Journalism and Logan represented. Sure it was an elaborate sequence and a bit long (and the drunk driving should have been avoided by Amy. These boys could pay for a driver) but it was done to show memories can be magical but you have to go and live in the real world eventually. Hence the Wizard of Oz stuff. 

I can even imagine that these LBD adventures weren't something the boys did that often either. They all were trying to get a taste of the past. Relive the magic of college. Though we got very little motivation from anyone other than the Gilmore Girls. This mini-series was more about the girls even more so than the series imo. We Got them and a taste of Luke's with the dinner Lorelai is leaving me fear and his "I'll never leave you" speech. 

6 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Just fueled my disgust for them.  Plus their scene went on and on and on and on.  Time for ASP to play out her fantasies but lent nothing to the story.

Edited by tarotx
1 hour ago, tarotx said:

How did the LDB add nothing to the story? Rory was at a low level and wanted to be in her 20's again.

Because she's not in her 20s?  The LBD are a bunch of overgrown children, and there were ways of snapping her out of her funk which treated her like an actual adult.

The entire thing was a celebration of privilege, and honestly that might not have been so terrible if there had been even a scintilla of self-awareness of that.  But there wasn't.  It was just a magical experience for all concerned, with a bunch of manbabies acting like spoiled brats.

Edited by starri
1 hour ago, starri said:

Because she's not in her 20s?  The LBD are a bunch of overgrown children, and there were ways of snapping her out of her funk which treated her like an actual adult.

The entire thing was a celebration of privilege, and honestly that might not have been so terrible if there had been even a scintilla of self-awareness of that.  But there wasn't.  It was just a magical experience for all concerned, with a bunch of manbabies acting like spoiled brats.

When Rory was being all sad and kept calling Logan when she was at Lane's house, she wishes she was back in her 20's.    

And, imo, a lot of Gilmore Girls has an air of privilege so I didn't watch the LDB under that judgment.

2 minutes ago, tarotx said:

And, imo, a lot of Gilmore Girls has an air of privilege so I didn't watch the LDB under that judgment.

That's sort of my point, though.  ASP seems shockingly blind to that, and this was by far the worst example of it.

If a bunch of men of color were breaking into buildings in downtown Stars Hollow, they'd have been shot on sight.

And I don't think there is anything wrong with friends having fun in the way friends have fun. And It's up to Rory to snap herself out of the Funk. This was a pick me up to cheer her up a bit. It's up to Rory to get herself out of the Funk. She always had that ability. She is her own person.

1 minute ago, starri said:

That's sort of my point, though.  ASP seems shockingly blind to that, and this was by far the worst example of it.

If a bunch of men of color were breaking into buildings in downtown Stars Hollow, they'd have been shot on sight.

While the LDB would have probably only got slapped on the wrist, they didn't get caught. If POC didn't get caught, they would have got away with it as well. 

45 minutes ago, starri said:

It was so over the top.  Throwing money on Doose's floor (didn't Logan do that?), buying the tango club, buying the inn.  Plus it was a rip-off of 'Across the Universe', down to the golf.  I could never stand those LDB brats, and this made me confirm my opinion. 

Edited by ShadowFacts
because life and death brigade, not little black dress
2 minutes ago, starri said:

By committing a bunch of crimes?

OK, you win. I applaud you for seeing things through realism. I do. I don't really see the crimes when I watch. The crimes were wrong but it was done in a musical montage. 

1 minute ago, starri said:

Is the show showing even the tiniest awareness of that such a bad thing?

The never shows awareness of that. Emily's crime is a joke. Rory faces no consequences beyond the easiest community service ever. Rory and Lorelai can stand there and eat cake they don't intend to buy. Lorelai steals food from her friend. Rory steals corn starch. 

Oh, wait, no. Lorelai is constantly fined for running the red light. But it's a stupid light so I presume she refuses to pay and isn't held accountable. 

10 minutes ago, starri said:

Is the show showing even the tiniest awareness of that such a bad thing?

Nope but this show is one of the whitest richest shows anyway. And I personally don't watch it for realism. In fact, imo, this show is one of the least real worlds set outside a fantasy element. Stars Hollow is almost like the Shire for me. 

Edited by tarotx

I get that Stars Hollow is a magical fairy land with four minorities (five if Gypsy is, which I could never figure out) and zero LGBT people for sixteen years, but there's fantasy, and then there's (the show, specifically ASP, and I want to stress this, not anyone here) not being able to see the problem.  And it is a problem for me.  Please don't think I'm accusing you of anything, because I'm not, but I honestly do feel the idea of a paradisal, quirky small down basically devoid of anyone who isn't white kind of gross.  And sitting here thinking about it, I literally can't think of one non-white person at Chilton or in Rory's circle at Yale.

Maybe this kind of thing was more forgivable sixteen years ago, but we don't live in the world of sixteen years ago, and having some acknowledgement of that would be nice.

ETA:  I will give ASP full credit for Sookie.  Because a character of size who isn't treated as a joke is still too rare, even with This is Us. And I know she did originally intend for her to be a lesbian.

Edited by starri
3 hours ago, tarotx said:

I can even imagine that these LBD adventures weren't something the boys did that often either. They all were trying to get a taste of the past. Relive the magic of college. Though we got very little motivation from anyone other than the Gilmore Girls. This mini-series was more about the girls than the series imo. We Got them and a taste of Luke's with the dinner Lorelai is leaving me fear and his "I'll never leave you" speech. 

For me, I wish it WAS made clear that they didn't do it that often. They didn't say that they didn't, so I honestly assumed that least Colin, Finn, and Robert still engaged in reckless activities for the last ten years. I just wanted them to show some more growth and maturity. Maybe because I just find that having fun doesn't mean committing a bunch of crimes? I totally get that the purpose was about Rory reliving her college years and being able to take a step back and relax about her future. But when the LDB show up, I just think back to the stealing and the dangerous stunts and I wish that they could grow up a little bit more. 

The LDB is used for a plot device, nothing more. It's why we don't learn anything about Colin/Finn/Robert in this episode. They're not there to show any growth of their own. They're just there to be plot devices for Rory and Logan. It's helpful because I much rather would like to stick to Rory's story, but it doesn't make me think that the boys have grown up in their late thirties, you know? 

Honestly, though, I've come to realize that I would have been more fine with the LDB sequence if Logan wasn't part of it. If he wasn't, then I could really grow to enjoy it for what ASP meant for it to be, which is just a spectacle. But, as usual, I was distracted by Rory/Logan's affair and their utter stupidity to really appreciate the message from that sequence. I was just distracted by Logan being there to win Rory over while still being engaged to another woman. 

1 hour ago, tarotx said:

The crimes were wrong but it was done in a musical montage. 

This comment cracks me up.  But, I agree--I don't really see the crimes either.  GG is more about irony than reality, and I like Amy's point of view/sense of humor.  Even though I don't generally enjoy the LDB, I did enjoy this segment and thought it was crucial to Rory's realization that she didn't want to live in that world.  It had to be fantastical to prove the point.  I think the decision she made when she gave Logan back the key means that even if he did propose again she wouldn't accept, kind of like Lorelai not wanting the life her parents wanted for her.  I especially liked when Logan insisted she accept the key so she could write her book and Rory just replied that she didn't need it.

ETA I think Rory's conversation with her dad was not about whether or not she should tell Logan but rather that she was thinking she would raise her child without being married to the father, no matter whether Logan decides to be part of the child's life or not.

Edited by shron17
2 hours ago, shron17 said:
4 hours ago, tarotx said:

The crimes were wrong but it was done in a musical montage. 

This comment cracks me up.

Me too! It's making me picture masked robbers sitting in a car, strapping a little portable speaker to one of their backs. Then they hold up a bank at gun point all while upbeat music is playing. Then when the cops get there, they just chuckle and wag a finger at the robbers. Mentos, the freshmaker!

The two things that bugged me most about the LDB fun was Colin's "I love having money!" and making it rain in Doose's. Yes, the second is better than not leaving money behind, but it's meant to be disrespectful. Taylor has to come in and get on his hands and knees to pick up their money. It's meant to degrade the person who needs that money.

On 13/12/2016 at 4:45 PM, AllyB said:

I'm actually could have done without the LDB sequence myself. Mainly because I almost died of third party embarassment and I'm younger than them. That said, I'm with tarotx on this one. Rory had to get it out of her system in order to move on. 

LDB's so called crimes also did not compute for me. I also blame the musical montage.

For the life of me, I cannot take seriously a debate about priviledge and race in relation to a dream-like sequence on Gilmore girls, of all shows. I don't know which is more ridiculous, to be honest.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley

I should have been more clear.  I loved the musical montage/dance sequences.  I am a complete sucker for The Beatles.  I particularly love "Get By..."  That it totally fit the narrative's needs made it awesome.

It also was a nice set-up for Rory's getting preggers that night.  A little whimsy and theatricality to bless the event makes all the sense in the world in a GG context.

17 hours ago, cuddlingcrowley said:

For the life of me, I cannot take seriously a debate about priviledge and race in relation to a dream-like sequence on Gilmore girls, of all shows. I don't know which is more ridiculous, to be honest.

Well, except GG is and has always been about privilege, upper class mores and what happens when you break them, and it is so very white, with only a couple exceptions.  The sequence was dream-like but not a dream.  Breaking and entering, drunk driving, just knock it off.  Have a rip-roaring, costume-wearing, dreamy good time without that.  Twelve or so years after the boat joyriding and Rory and Logan still aren't clear about rules applying to them. 

18 hours ago, cuddlingcrowley said:

You're welcome to take my opinions with as little or as much weight as you choose.

However, for the record:  The world that Gilmore Girls finds itself revived into is very different that the one it left when it ended the first time.  And the issues of things like race and privilege, which were less noticeable when the show was first running, are glaring now.  I don't expect Gilmore Girls to give me a hyperrealistic view of those kinds of issues, because there are other, better shows from other, better writers out there.  But I don't think wanting the show to at least be aware of itself is such a bad thing.

Case in point:  Sex and the City was a a show about a bunch of rich white women with rich white women problems.  But at the time, it was refreshing because they were so frank in talking about sexuality in a time that wasn't common.  Fastforward to them reviving it, especially with that second movie, and it's just offensively tone deaf.  And I expect no more realism from it either.

10 minutes ago, starri said:

Case in point:  Sex and the City was a a show about a bunch of rich white women with rich white women problems.  But at the time, it was refreshing because they were so frank in talking about sexuality in a time that wasn't common.  Fastforward to them reviving it, especially with that second movie, and it's just offensively tone deaf.  And I expect no more realism from it either.

You need to go watch Mark Kermode's review of Sex and the City 2. I think you will thoroughly enjoy it.

While I did like the almost dreamlike break that the LDB sequence allowed for, I do agree that it does go on for too long. And honestly, when Finn (?) started throwing money around at Doosey's, I was completely done with it. He could simply leave the money as a pile on the checkout. Put it in an envelope. Throwing money like that all over the floor was basically not just a sign of showing off how rich they were, but also saying whoever has to pick it up is on a lower level. There's nothing wrong with being rich. But there is something wrong with being a dick. And yes, if they're that rich, higher and tip a driver instead of drunk driving.

It was Colin throwing the money. Colin was very Money show off in the revival-buying everything and saying Money is great. Though Colin was also the one who was an ass when we first meet this group of guys back in season 5.

1 hour ago, solotrek said:

While I did like the almost dreamlike break that the LDB sequence allowed for, I do agree that it does go on for too long. And honestly, when Finn (?) started throwing money around at Doosey's, I was completely done with it. He could simply leave the money as a pile on the checkout. Put it in an envelope. Throwing money like that all over the floor was basically not just a sign of showing off how rich they were, but also saying whoever has to pick it up is on a lower level. There's nothing wrong with being rich. But there is something wrong with being a dick. And yes, if they're that rich, higher and tip a driver instead of drunk driving.

That was the worst part for me as well and reeked of treating people "below" you badly and making them scrape just because you can. It's an action traditionally associated with antagonistic characters so I don't know how ASP thought that was funny or that we would want Rory to be hanging out with people like that. (On top of everything else she'd already done in the revival). Had the whole sequence been slightly different - that didn't include them breaking into places in SH or Colin buying anything in his power - it would have been ok and just a fun sequence. I didn't hate the idea of Rory going on one last LDB outing, but I wish there was more context of whether it was a one-off as a break from their ordinary life, or acknowledgment that Rory had to grow out of such behaviour or even admitting they were just sad, spoiled rich kids clinging to their college years. But the show depicted it as purely awesome fun. 

1 hour ago, starri said:

You're welcome to take my opinions with as little or as much weight as you choose.

However, for the record:  The world that Gilmore Girls finds itself revived into is very different that the one it left when it ended the first time.  And the issues of things like race and privilege, which were less noticeable when the show was first running, are glaring now.  I don't expect Gilmore Girls to give me a hyperrealistic view of those kinds of issues, because there are other, better shows from other, better writers out there.  But I don't think wanting the show to at least be aware of itself is such a bad thing.

^ Exactly! Times and what's socially appropriate has changed. Imo GG was progressive and feminist for it's time and I don't hold it's handling of privilege/white feminism/body shaming against it. (The same way I still love FRIENDS despite it's distasteful gay jokes - I can appreciate it started over 20 years ago and was pretty forward thinking in the 90's. Or that Jane Eyre, Little Women and Pride and Prejudice were feminist for their eras). Things are different now from the early 000's but GG is acting the same and so yeah, I judge it hard for hiring the same actress to play two poc, fat shaming and acting like Logan/Rory's behaviour is endearing not just two spoiled, entitled people whose privilege let's them get away with their actions. Nowadays progressive/feminist shows or heroines aren't GG and Lorelai, they're Orange Is the New Black and Leslie Knope. ASP missed the memo. 

Edited by TimetravellingBW

I loved the Life and Death Brigade scenes, but then I always liked them (especially Finn) on the show. Colin is still a pompous jerk, some things never change. Mostly I loved how happy Rory was to be with them again. She was having some real nostalgia wishing she was in her 20's again, and they gave her a little fun. I don't remember any crimes. They paid (most likely overpaid for their purchases in Doose's) and didn't cause any damage. I thought it was fun and charming to watch. 

It was pretty good, especially compared to the revival. I liked that they didn't beat you over the head with clues Rory was pregnant, but they were there if you knew it was coming. 

I hated that they ended it like that and filmed it in a way you couldn't really see facial reactions.

On Sunday, December 18, 2016 at 11:22 AM, deaja said:

It was pretty good, especially compared to the revival. I liked that they didn't beat you over the head with clues Rory was pregnant, but they were there if you knew it was coming. 

I hated that they ended it like that and filmed it in a way you couldn't really see facial reactions.

Funnily enough, Lauren said they filmed it with different reactions. I wish we could have seen their faces better but maybe that was the only way to show them both on screen at the same moment. 

All done. I am not mad at the revival. I just thought it was poorly done.

I honestly am not sure how Logan would react to knowing he will be a dad. Regardless, Rory should tell him. I am not surprised that Rory is carrying on with a "taken" man either. Rory has always felt as if the rules don't apply to her. The fact alone that Logan is cheating on his fiancée proves that he has not matured much either.

So the scene with Christopher and Rory has proven what I suspected in the original series. He was a deadbeat dad mostly. I think it is rather showing of his character that he places his missteps as a dad at Lorelai's feet alone. He needs to accept some of that responsibility too.

There was a whole lot of Kirk in this series. I must say that he actually looks way better than he did in the original run. Keeping the shallow going, all of Rory's love interests aged well.

The decorations for the wedding were whimsical and suited Lorelai. I was glad to see Sookie.

April and Jess should have been at the wedding. I know it may have been a scheduling thing though.

I loved Emily throughout this series. I am still trying to figure out what ASP message is with Emily finally keeping one stable maid. I know it shows her growth, but it may also show that she lost some of her feistiness.

Edited by Enigma X

So the scenes with him Christopher and Rory have proven what I suspected in the original series. He was a deadbeat dad mostly. I think it is rather showing of his character that he places his missteps as a dad at Lorelai's feet alone. He needs to accept some of that responsibility too.

I know, that scene was really just showing how much Chris is still a douche. "You were meant to be raised by your mother." Oh shut up asshole! Since day 1, it was always: "Poor Christopher, your life is so touch here have: (insert something here)" it was never about him, it was Lorelai's fault or Sherry's fault, or someone else instead of his own lack of birth control self. He was pretty much given everything, his inheritance, his awesome job, the ability to have someone snap his fingers and he was stuck back on Lorelai again. I got a much more bigger apologie from my own father who wasn't in my life much but was more for my two sisters and other brother more after he got remarried. Including a: "I should have done more for you, and I didn't and I focused on your siblings instead, that wasn't the way to do it." 

If they could have just written with Chris that not only did he screw up, but he focused on Lorelai instead of Rory or even GiGi and saying no one let him be wrong, then that would have worked much, much better. Of course since AS-P has such a hard on for David Suttcliff and only had one day of filming with him. This was the best should could do? Oh please. 

I actually liked that Revival scene. It was refreshing to have Christopher's appearance exclusively deal with him as a parent instead of as a love interest. His "I wanna do better. Don't dislike me" got more hateful and pathetic with every passing year. His "Let's have lunch" was complete bullshit and AB's performance indicated Rory knew that. Rory went from really believing in him and trying to see the best in S1-2, to alternating between anger and such charitable sympathy as she came to grips with his limitations as a human being in S3-5, to trying to have an ok adult relationship because he's in her life between the Yale tuition and the marriage to Lorelai even though she was irritadedly resigned to his limitations in S6-7, to not even seeing the point of him in the Revival other than as a cautionary tale.  And he deserved that. Say what you will about Rory in the Revival but family matters to her. It inspires her creatively, she's still freakishly linked with her mother, she's the one checking up on Emily and greeting Richard's portrait, and trying to help neurotic!April as an erstwhile stepsister by teaching her to stress tap. 

Edited by Melancholy

Lurker here. I've enjoyed reading everyone's opinions on the revival - no one here at home to really discuss it with! I was highly anticipating the revival but, alas, I was disappointed in several of the story lines, all of which you have already discussed. So...my main reason for speaking up from the depths of lurkerdom....does anyone know where Sookie got the top she was wearing in the revival?

6 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I loved Emily throughout this series. I am still trying to figure out what ASP message is with Emily finally keeping one stable maid. I know it shows her growth, but it may also show that she lost some of her feistiness.

To me the message seems to be that the only way Emily can have a positive relationship with a maid is if they can't communicate.  You can see it start at Richard's funeral but I think not being able to understand allowed Emily to give them the benefit of the doubt  Also, no way would Berta have kept that big smile if there was no language barrier.  I especially loved the scene when Emily was going to heat up the soup and Berta complains how can a grown woman not be able to heat up soup without spilling it all over the stove.

4 hours ago, smileonmyface said:

Lurker here. I've enjoyed reading everyone's opinions on the revival - no one here at home to really discuss it with! I was highly anticipating the revival but, alas, I was disappointed in several of the story lines, all of which you have already discussed. So...my main reason for speaking up from the depths of lurkerdom....does anyone know where Sookie got the top she was wearing in the revival?

Sookie's smock

I thought the maid storyline was to show that Emily needed some stable relationship- an anchor if you will as she had lost Richard. 

9 hours ago, deaja said:

I thought the maid storyline was to show that Emily needed some stable relationship- an anchor if you will as she had lost Richard. 

I agree, remember in the episode when Trix was going to expedite Rory's trust fund? Emily said something about how terrible it will be for Lorelai when she no longer has anyone to take care of. Emily could be very distant and cold but she seemed to really care for Richard and wanted to take care of Rory when she lived with them.

I think she struggled how to take care of someone without being controlling.

Edited by CheeseBurgh
Kant spell

I think Emily's story was about Emily finally being able to take care of Emily. Before that it was all about Richard (and even earlier, Lorelei). With no other demands on her, she could focus entirely on her wishes. For someone who'd devoted her life to others (for reasons selfish and benevolent), it had to be majorly freeing.