Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

23 hours ago, Revlonred said:

I said this to someone the other day.  As a New Yorker, he has been in my news my whole life, and I believe that he wanted to lose, complain about losing, start his TV network, make YUGE amounts of money, be on TV, preach to his followers to applause and chants...he does not want this job.  He also wants to live in his golden tower.  But he would never show "weakness", BUT he would say a family member is ill/unwell and he must step down to care for him/her (barf).  

I too am a sort-of New Yorker having a son that lives there and I had also believed for some time that he never actually wanted to be the president, he only wanted to win it to push it in Obama's face for mocking him. He's going to have to relinquish his business dealings to someone else, even if it's not the Trump children since that would obviously bring forth a conflict of interest outcry among many people. I absolutely can't believe that he, as President of the United States, will focus on that job and only on that job. He'll be receiving briefs daily as President Obama does and as President Obama spends hours on those briefs, reading them, digesting them, reaching an opinion on them. Donald Trump has no focus at all, none. He can read a headline in the Enquirer or a 140 character tweet, but reading volumes of legal documents and proposals and staying on task is just something that's not even possible for him. As the ultimate narcissistic living in the ultimate narcissistic orgasmic rush he's satisfied right now. When the flurry of campaigning goes away, when the protests stop, that's when the test comes, when he faces the daunting task of actually doing the job he was elected to do.

• Love 15
8 minutes ago, HumblePi said:

twitter.png

Maybe our fears, anxiety and misconceptions will be relieved if we watch this tonight, who knows?

Considering his campaign manager just said that its up to Clinton and Obama to calm down the protestors, who are, you know, paid protestors....I'm not too hopeful.

• Love 14
10 minutes ago, HumblePi said:

twitter.png

Maybe our fears, anxiety and misconceptions will be relieved if we watch this tonight, who knows?

Or exacerbated. I don't mind telling you I'm apprehensive as hell about watching this. What if it's another Palin debacle? *bites nails*

• Love 5
3 hours ago, NewDigs said:

Like @HumblePi, every time I think I'm working my way through my stages of grief I get slapped in the face with fear.

Pretty much. I thought I was doing better, accepted what had happened, and was just staying vigilant. And then this morning came, and I learned that:

1. He might call a "special session of Congress" on Inauguration Day to repeal Obamacare (when just this week he said he might not)

2. They would "immediately" deport 2-3 million people

3. Apparently conflict of interest laws don't apply to a president (thanks Rudy) and nobody seems to care that the kids are on the transition team

4. His petty Twitter war against the press and especially the New York Times continues, with more lies about things there are proof that he said

5. They threatened legal action against Reid for criticizing Trump to try to silence him

6. They think it's Obama's responsibility to calm the protesters

7. Paul Ryan thinks birth control is just some "nitty-gritty detail"

8. Newt thinks Trump's connection to the alt-right was fabricated by the media (right... Bannon and Breitbart?)

There was probably more, but the anxiety came flooding back. If you're in wait and see mode and giving him a chance, does this, on top of their silence about all the hate-driven acts going on around the country, not scare you? (I honestly want to know, because it terrifies me and I'm trying to cope.) They're not just saying stuff for votes anymore, and this is only day 5. Like I've said before, I take the president-elect at his word, and so far they've done nothing to show that they won't do all the horrible things I thought they might.

I've been loving the #BidenMeme thing since it started, but it's always tinged with a little bit of sadness that they're really leaving in January and then we're going to be stuck in this mess. But I'm glad it exists, at least something to smile about! 

• Love 17
59 minutes ago, HumblePi said:

I too am a sort-of New Yorker having a son that lives there and I had also believed for some time that he never actually wanted to be the president, he only wanted to win it to push it in Obama's face for mocking him. He's going to have to relinquish his business dealings to someone else, even if it's not the Trump children since that would obviously bring forth a conflict of interest outcry among many people. I absolutely can't believe that he, as President of the United States, will focus on that job and only on that job. He'll be receiving briefs daily as President Obama does and as President Obama spends hours on those briefs, reading them, digesting them, reaching an opinion on them. Donald Trump has no focus at all, none. He can read a headline in the Enquirer or a 140 character tweet, but reading volumes of legal documents and proposals and staying on task is just something that's not even possible for him. As the ultimate narcissistic living in the ultimate narcissistic orgasmic rush he's satisfied right now. When the flurry of campaigning goes away, when the protests stop, that's when the test comes, when he faces the daunting task of actually doing the job he was elected to do.

That's a failure of the media and his opponents because he can keep just as involved as always and just say his children are in charge. Plus, the children in charge doesn't mean anything either. They'll just do as they do now and ekep Dad in the loop as needed on specific issues (whether business in China, the struggling deal in India that should now get approved or the German bank that is under federal investigation and holds a big Trump loan.)

The media could have spent a lot of time on these issues, but instead opted to have lots of meaningless discussions and arugments with campaign surrogates over things that will never affect a single American (e.g. Hillary's email.)

I won't forgive and forget.  Farenthold and Eichenwald and a few others did their best but overall the press--esp. on cable--CNN and FOX was derelict in their duty to inform. No one knows anything about the candidates specific proposals, but they certainly have lots of "feelings" about what the email "scandal" meant.

Other than the idea of DT being president, my disillusionment with the media is contributing more than anything else to my post-election anxiety.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 17

I'm training for a marathon right now, and I was all set this morning to do the third 20-miler of my training. A great opportunity to totally clear my mind and get a better perspective. Instead, I was distracted by my annoyance and anger the entire time, and my hip flexors were tense and so were my shoulders and every time I saw a pickup truck drive by or an old white dude with a trucker hat on I thought "that guy probably voted for Trump, I hope he doesn't try to grab my pussy out here," and I felt so run down and pussy-grabbed by the whole damn ordeal that I had to stop after about 12 miles. Trump isn't just ruining the country, he's ruining my damn workout! THANKS, TRUMP, you orange fascist.

• Love 9

It's OBAMA'S responsibility to calm the protests? 

Doubleplusungood.

Yeah, every time I think maybe I don't need to react with utter horror and fear? All I have to do is pick up the newspaper. 

Honestly - Trump and all his ghouls in the cabinet dont' give two sh*ts about governing. They want headlines to prove they're still "winning." They see this all as one big reality television show or great Tweet. 

OK, let's set the bar really low and hope that, in two years, (1), we aren't all dead and (2) we still have even the slightest shreds of a democracy. 

The ONLY thing that keeps me going is that, even as I've read the worst doomsday accounts, I'm told all politics, no matter how extreme, is cyclical. I mean, hey, even the Nazis eventually lost power, right? It only took two bombs and the loss of millions. 

F*ck this "give them a chance" and "see what they do." We know. And they're destroying us. 

Here in Minnesota, Nov. 16 is Give to the Max Day, where donations to non profits and many organizations now under threat from our neocon regime are being matched. I've got a lot of checks to write.

Edited by potatoradio
  • Love 20

Posted this in the Trump thread, but thought I would post it here as well.

According to the BBC, Trump's plan to build the Wall are back on, though he is stating that it could be "partly fence." So this wasn't some "metaphorical campaign device" like his minions are stating - he still wants to do it and, in his warped, ignorant mind, probably still believes Mexico will pay for it.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, said Wall will do nothing to keep people, drugs, guns, etc. from crossing the boarder. I live in San Diego, 45 minutes from the boarder, and they use tunnels (we regularly hear on the news about ICE or some other law enforcement agency finding them) as well as take things by boat over the ocean. It's a big ocean - the Coast Guard cannot cover all of it and there is a lot of coastline as well. The CG does not stop every single fishing boat they see - it just wouldn't be feasible and the majority of them are legitimate fishing boats.

A Wall will not keep people, drugs, etc. from crossing the boarder. If he is now saying it will be "partly fence," well, that makes it even easier to get through. A simple pair of bolt cutters will let you cut a hole in that thing and there is no way ICE and other agencies can patrol every inch of the "Wall/Fence." This is just so absurd - and this is where our tax dollars will be going.

• Love 7

The above posts about ballot formats got me thinking about expanded opportunities for voting by mail. In 1998, my home state of Oregon became the first state to have elections conducted exclusively by mail, which has been a key factor in pushing the state's voter turnout well above the national average (participation here in the last two presidential elections has been in the 80% range). And if a voter misses the deadline to mail in the ballot, there are still plenty of convenient official drop-off sites (businesses, libraries, elections offices, etc.)

This article discusses how all-mail voting can indeed increase turnout - with several strong caveats, including the need for the elections office to send out reminders after voters receive their ballots. Like any other system of voting, there are pros and cons, but one major advantage to vote-by-mail beyond the potential for increased turnout is that polling place intimidation and voting machine tampering/malfunctioning are no longer a threat. Research varies on whether increased turnout actually benefits Democrats, but even a small uptick in voter participation very well could've made a difference last week - and I can see it making a helluva lot of difference in 2018.

I know people are reeling after last week's elections and are wondering how to effect some sort of change, but anyone living in a state where the option to vote by mail is limited or non-existent might want to grab the ear of their state legislator. Even more people just talking about it might be the tipping point.

• Love 6

Everything I read and heard this morning strikes fear in my heart all over again. We can't give this man a chance. We simply cannot do it. That in itself is dangerous.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Everything I read and heard this morning strikes fear in my heart all over again. We can't give this man a chance. We simply cannot do it. That in itself is dangerous.

Yes! I cannot calm down.  No, I am not crying in a ball in a corner of the room. I am angry and frustrated! And very scared.  And the weight of it all is tremendous. 

Edited by Revlonred
  • Love 14

According to the BBC, Trump's plan to build the Wall are back on, though he is stating that it could be "partly fence."

What the hell?  Is he getting a deal on fence supplies from Menards?  Oh no wait, he'll just sue whatever contractor builds the wall so he won't have to pay them.  

I went out to a breakfast with a friend this morning and surprisingly I didn't overhear any political talk, though coming up to last Tuesday you sure did.  Very quiet.  

Next paycheck PP is getting some money.  

• Love 3

This may have been posted before, but here's a link to Marsha Gessen's rules for surviving a brutal autocratic regime:

http://www2.nybooks.com/daily/s3/nov/10/trump-election-autocracy-rules-for-survival.html

It's horrifying to read, because they're all too real, but she makes a point to resist appearances of normalcy and to not pretend that everything is OK. She also is a bit reassuring in saying that nothing is forever, that even Trumpism will die out in the future. I take a little comfort from that, but the fact is, this is still going to be a period of misery and darkness for too many people for the future to save them.  

As Margaret Atwood wrote, "It may not have lasted forever, but it was all the forever they had."

• Love 10

In Virginia, we have paper ballots. Agree that it is crazy how different it is in each state and how we use systems that are highly problematic. Voting by mail sounds great. Though it sounds like there were issues with that in FL, with a huge amount reportedly "never received" that were in fact returned, including the 3 family members of the person I know. I'm with Bernie's repeated comments on this - if you have to cheat, you shouldn't be in politics. We try to teacher children that cheating is wrong and then you have the leaders of our country engaging in it proudly. 

As promised, a picture of my own dog, Lilly. Right now I wish I could be oblivious to all election stuff like my dog. 

e3ec4784-4baa-4052-a4ce-0060e03eb35a_zps

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Revlonred said:

Considering his campaign manager just said that its up to Clinton and Obama to calm down the protestors, who are, you know, paid protestors....I'm not too hopeful.

I hope the ground opens up  and swallows that shitty woman.  And nope, it's the president elects responsibility to prove to the protesters that he respects their feelings, end of story. Hillary and Obama did their part extremely gracefully on November 9, both spoke to the public, end of story. He's not doing this country any favors, he didn't by running, nor by winning, it is HIS privilege, not ours. He still can't get that, but that involves being humbled and he doesn't have that chip. Respect is earned, he is a klansman to this voter, a voter that hasn't referred or thought of any republican president as a klansman in my lifetime at least. Yeah, I thought they didn't give a shit about the disenfranchised and were just about lining their pockets, I've always thought that, but I could never see any of them in a white sheet and burning crosses on lawns. Trump however, fits the part so comfortably. He's a disgrace.

I hope Hillary has a great time going forward with whatever she does, while small towns remain hollowed out.  Because for this POC, if it's between a klansman being an unsuccessful president vs. hoping that my fellow citizens who are suffering job losses overcome, I hope for the klan president to fail.  That's really what it comes down to.   I wish I didn't have to make that choice, and if it were anyone else who didn't act the fuck like Trump did, then, I'd hope for my fellow citizens who were struggling economically for the success of the republican president. But the fuck am I going to cheer for a klanman to be successful, even in the face of the hungry.  It's not happening, mainly because there are no jobs in klansman Trump's America for black folks. There may be some for the brown ones here and there, but black folks, LOL, yeah right.  I know people of color also voted for Trump because I believe they really think he'll bring back jobs, they are suffering that much. Some of the religious black folks were voting on their hatred for the LGBTQ community and women's rights to abortion first and foremost. But the ones who think they're getting jobs in Trump's America, LOL.  Yeah, he'll still hire Latinos to clean his hotels, he won't deport those particular Latinos, because he sure doesn't want white women cleaning up his hotels unless they are 4's maybe. But what the hell do the black folks who voted for him think they're going to get?  Do they honestly think they'll be as "lucky" as Ben Carson and Omarosa?  They aren't going to get the jobs in Trump's America should he bring them back. No, "Jamal" isn't getting a job, the white manager in Trump's America can now truly say fuck Affirmative Action, fuck diversity. The white male Trump voter who will be running the show in all these new factory jobs that are supposed to be coming back isn't fucking hiring any "Jamals." Fuck putting a "c" on the application like Trump and his father did during their housing discriminating days, the while male manager in Trump's America can now shred that application immediately.  "Jamal," fuck no, go back to Africa, no jobs for you in this country.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 14
52 minutes ago, Padma said:

The media could have spent a lot of time on these issues, but instead opted to have lots of meaningless discussions and arugments with campaign surrogates over things that will never affect a single American (e.g. Hillary's email.)

I won't forgive and forget.  Farenthold and Eichenwald and a few others did their best but overall the press--esp. on cable--CNN and FOX was derelict in their duty to inform. No one knows anything about the candidates specific proposals, but they certainly have lots of "feelings" about what the email "scandal" meant.

You are most assuredly spot-on, as the Brits and Aussies would say, with CNN and FOX News and their dereliction of duty in reporting, you know, "news." All they were about, really, was all "judge Hillary, around the clock." That's all they were on-- whether it was emails, Benghazi, you name it-- both were "all judgment of Hillary, all the time."

• Love 9

I remember during Katrina on the old TWOP, we were allowed to discuss the situation on one subforum (maybe it was a soap one?) and I was heartened while broken hearted. to be able to discuss the fact that Americans were drowning in their homes and the government was doing nothing to help.  It was shocking at the time and to me, was also the cut-off point when I could no longer trust in my country.   President Obama's elections gave me hope, but the past 8 years have seen him hog-tied by obstruction from phony "Christian"  divisive haters. Good Americans continue to fight for equal rights and freedom, but the odds just became nearly insurmountable.  I'm completely discouraged. 

• Love 16

I really, really wish there were honorable Republicans willing to stand up to Trump's authoritarianism. It would make me feel better that he actually has a check on him, because right now I feel like these "checks and balances" simply don't exist.

• Love 20
2 minutes ago, bmasters9 said:

You are most assuredly spot-on, as the Brits and Aussies would say, with CNN and FOX News and their dereliction of duty in reporting, you know, "news." All they were about, really, was all "judge Hillary, around the clock." That's all they were on-- whether it was emails, Benghazi, you name it-- both were "all judgment of Hillary, all the time."

This has become the default position of 24/7 news media whose main interest is ratings and non-stop panic and drama. After Brexit there was a lot of discussion about the completely irresponsible way the televised media in particular had covered the issue, without questioning lying fools like Farage etc., without providing much research of their own, and how that had contributed to an uninformed electorate who voted to exit the EU often without knowing what the EU even is or what it does.

• Love 4

Any fans of heavy metal should look up the song "Deify" by Disturbed. It was written about Dubya but it more adequately captures the impotent rage of the anti-Trump crowd. I had a hell of a time singing it in my car just now. "You wanna know why I feel so horrified / I let my innocence die, you wanna know why I can't be pacified / you made me bury something, I won't be sleeping tonight."

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I can't help but think that the results were impacted. I was watching the counts come in, and it just felt... off. In every swing state, Trump had a lead, and every time a precinct reported in cutting Trump's lead, suddenly the next precinct would give him the lead back.

I have a hard time believing that so many women and latinos voted for him, and I just don't know if him hugely increasing his turnout in all the key states adds up. Unfortunately, it's not something that will ever be answered. But it again raises the question, why not just use a straightforward paper ballot? That's what we still use in the UK and it works fine. Any sort of electronic device is going to be open to hacking, which we now know is a huge problem. And just a couple of days before the election, Edward Snowden came out and said that hacking a voting machine was incredibly easy.

But it's something that cannot ever be proven with enough satisfaction that it would change anything. And for the election to even be close enough that hacking could believably swing it, the Democrats still need to look at themselves and fix all the mistakes they've made.

Mail in ballots are still paper, however, in many cases they are still read by machines, therefore subject to hacking.

Also, the old paper ballots some states used to use, some types of the "punch ballots," were part of what caused an issue in the 2000 Gore vs. Bush election. FL had ballots that, when punched, could still leave a piece hanging on (a "chad"). These "hanging chads" were in huge dispute because you couldn't tell if someone actually punched one for a particular candidate, or perhaps it was partially pushed by accident, or maybe it got poked or torn somehow in the collections process, there were even cases where it appeared people voted for both candidates, etc.  This is one of the reasons states are trying to get away from paper ballots in general, but if you vote by mail/absentee you still have to use the paper cards where you fill in the circles and those, in most cases, are still read by a machine. This is why you can only use certain ink colors, have to ensure the circle is completely filled in, etc.

At the end of the day, no system is going to be completely perfect and, therefore, somewhat vulnerable to manipulation of some kind. We try to control it as much as possible, but nothing is completely infallible.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, lordonia said:

I apologize if this has been posted or linked already, but here's the reality by county. It's very sobering for me.

Just remember that 46% of registered voters didn't vote. Who knows what colors would have been represented if everyone legally able to vote, had done so. I live in Idaho and I know several Democrats who didn't vote b/c they knew with the electoral college, their vote wouldn't count. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Keepitmoving said:

I hope the ground opens up  and swallows that shitty woman.  And nope, it's the president elects responsibility to prove to the protesters that he respects their feelings, end of story. Hillary and Obama did their part extremely gracefully on November 9, both spoke to the public, end of story. He's not doing this country any favors, he didn't by running, nor by winning, it is HIS privilege, not ours. He still can't get that, but that involves being humbled and he doesn't have that chip. Respect is earned, he is a klansman to this voter, a voter that hasn't referred or thought of any republican president as a klansman in my lifetime at least.

Interesting how he clearly still wants to be in the position where Obama is the authority. It's his job to do stuff even when Trump's president elect. What does he do when there's no "establishment" that he's ignorantly railing against because he could better?

There's just such cowardice in the way he's handling things--the same cowardice with which he's handled everything thusfar. That's going to be a constant during his presidency.

• Love 11
29 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Just remember that 46% of registered voters didn't vote. Who knows what colors would have been represented if everyone legally able to vote, had done so. I live in Idaho and I know several Democrats who didn't vote b/c they knew with the electoral college, their vote wouldn't count. 

This is why that antiquated, bullshit system that was created 100s of years ago when white males who owned land were the only people allowed to vote needs to be done away with. We all hear everyone telling people to get out and vote - your vote counts, but in truth, under the EC, each individual vote really doesn't. Though I do vote, and it is easy and convenient for me as a permanent mail in voter, I still have big issues with the EC and think it should have been abolished years ago. Most other countries go off of the popular vote, and that really is how it should be. The person with most votes wins. Period.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 13
On 11/12/2016 at 1:39 AM, VMepicgrl said:

ETA: I'm going to offer one suggestion that someone who worked for Congress recommended. She said, "But, the most effective thing is to actually call them on the phone. At their district (state) office. They have to talk to you there." Better than tweeting/facebook, which they don't read. Better than emails. Letters are okay, but not as good as phone calls.

This is probably the source for that. If not, it's another person saying the same thing. I hate the phone but will try to be brave. My three reps are all Democrats, and I am concerned they're going to try to work across the aisle even though the other side has not been willing to do that during Obama's terms. I want them to refuse to back down.

On 11/12/2016 at 3:37 PM, backformore said:

I remember reading a story about Trump being principal for the day at different schools in New York.  At one, there was a photo-op fake check for a million bucks - but it wasn't real - it was a gesture.  his actual contribution was $200.   There was another story about him donating coupons to poor Black kids for Nike shoes.  And he was shocked when a kid told him that what he really needed was money for college.

Wait - I found it:   Trump kicks in chump change

4 hours ago, windsprints said:

We used to use the lever machines. The were mechanical, not electronic. NY (where I live) was one of the last states to use them. I wish they'd go back to those. It won't ever happen. It would cost too much to replace everything they've spent so much money and time getting in place.

#BidenMeme is fantastic. Thanks for posting it!

I loved the huge old voting machines. You really felt like you were doing something in there!

• Love 15
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yes, in CA the legislative leaders issued a joint statement saying, in part, "We woke up feeling like strangers in a foreign land, because yesterday Americans expressed their views on a pluralistic and democratic society that are clearly inconsistent with the values of the people of California." It ended with, "America is greater than any one man or party. We will not be dragged back into the past. We will lead the resistance to any effort that would shred our social fabric or our Constitution."

So that was both soothing and inspiring. And in Los Angeles, where I live, the Times published a map showing how all the neighborhoods in the greater L.A. area voted, and the sea of blue was comforting.

@Bastet, thanks for sharing that. Was the atmosphere any more positive at your office last week? Civil rights law firms and non-profits are, I fear, going to be very busy. The rest of us are fortunate that people who choose that specialty already have a lot of innate resolve and fortitude.

I set up a recurring donation to the ACLU today, for whatever tiny bit that may be worth for them to continue the good fight.

• Love 4

Not surprising to any of us, but :sigh:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/states-new-voting-restrictions-flip-trump-article-1.2866395?utm_content=buffereb48e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw

And Trump is back to his usual antics already. Again, not that I'm surprised he isn't going to suddenly act more like a human being now that he has "won."

ETA: In response to @dcalley, yes, that is who I got it from. And I also don't like making calls. I will have to try to get over that anxiety once I determine what I want to say.

Edited by VMepicgrl
  • Love 1

Another concern: This election might mean the demise of The Amazing Race. Right now, it's in limbo because there are no slots available on CBS. Between the nation potentially going isolationist and other countries thumbing their noses at us, I fear this might be it for one of the best reality shows ever aired. I figured it was "safer" to talk about it here, as opposed to bringing politics to the TAR forums.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, lordonia said:

Bastet, thanks for sharing that. Was the atmosphere any more positive at your office last week? Civil rights law firms and non-profits are, I fear, going to be very busy. The rest of us are fortunate that people who choose that specialty already have a lot of innate resolve and fortitude.

It's kind of like working in animal rescue; your ultimate fantasy is to one day be put out of business because there's no more work left to be done. 

• Love 7

I have to think of some things that will give me some consolation and maybe relieve some anxiety, so I came up with a few things that would tickle me.

Donald and Melania will actually be living in 'public housing' for the first (possibly the last) time in their lives.

Melania will never be allowed to have a bad hair day. She and Donald will be living inside a museum so it's a good idea that they both catch up on their American history knowledge.

Barron will have to tough it out it his new public housing quarters and find some way to learn to share the 132 room, 55,000 square foot house with both parents. He might miss his old digs in his own 32,000 square foot floor in the Tower. Barron seems a little camera shy so he's going to have to adjust to having his photo taken at every opportunity.

Donald is either going to have a surrogate alongside him every day when he receives his daily briefs in order to translate what they mean, or he's going to have to ask the each of the Presidential staff to dumb down their brief to 140 characters. The Presidents daily briefs are made available for President-elect Trump right now and I'm sure he's shitting himself just a little bit.

"President's Daily Bulletin, is a Top Secret document produced and given each morning at 07:45 to the President of the United States. Producing and presenting the brief is the responsibility of the Director of National Intelligence, whose office is tasked with fusing intelligence from the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), the National Security Agency (NSA), the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and other members of the U.S. Intelligence Community. The Brief is also produced for the President-elect of the United States, between the election day, and inauguration."

• Love 5

Well... I'm sure Israel and the American Jewish lobby will be delighted to hear that. Of course, I'm sure Bannon hates plenty of other groups too.

I guess this could have been predicted when Trump started going on about global conspiracies during his rallies. They're usually code for 'I hate Jews'.

• Love 11

From the "You know you watch too much .... when

"....Supernatural when"... the blue on the voting map above  looks like angel wings and I think oh "YAY, Castiel is here to lift us, along with Dean, out of Perdition." Of course that may also be because Misha Collins who plays Castiel campaigned his little heart out for Hillary.

• Love 7

I don't understand how anyone can continue to think the Constitution will protect us when the Trump Administration doesn't give a shit about anyone other than white, Christian businessMEN. SCOTUS justices will be appointed accordingly. Trump can do whatever he wants, regardless of what Congress decides (and they're likely to decide to implement some pretty terrible laws).

The ACLU can't do shit against this either. We are so fucked.

• Love 5

You may or may not recall the huge backlash the Dixie Chicks suffered after saying in 2003 they were "ashamed" that GWB is from Texas. There were boycotts, CD burnings, and death threats. This was the first single from their next studio album after that (2006). I've been listening to it/having it go through my head a lot. And of course they recently ruffled feathers by appearing with Beyonce at the CMA Awards. Anyway, this song makes me feel a little bit stronger.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I don't understand how anyone can continue to think the Constitution will protect us when the Trump Administration doesn't give a shit about anyone other than white, Christian businessMEN. SCOTUS justices will be appointed accordingly. Trump can do whatever he wants, regardless of what Congress decides (and they're likely to decide to implement some pretty terrible laws).

The ACLU can't do shit against this either. We are so fucked.

IMO this was the case with the Bush administration as well. Look at the cabinet members there, look at their histories, look at what they implemented, look at what they tried to implement. Bush just got away with giving all of that a "friendlier face" for some people, but he had underlings doing the dirty work for him when it came to smearing all sorts of people with all sorts of bigoted claims as well.

Edited by katha
  • Love 5
52 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

I think my brain just started leaking out my ears.

Bunnies to the rescue!

giphy.gif

I highly recommend following @EstherThePig on twitter and facebook. She's a Canadian 650+ lb pig. Two men rescued what they thought was a micro pig and she kept growing. They raised money to open an animal sanctuary when it was clear they'd have to move. There's many residents at the sanctuary now.  The animal love and cuteness is one thing but following them is more than that. Esther's dads are such kind & wonderful human beings. Their love for all people and animals all over the world shines through in everything they do. They are an great example of humanity.  LOL, she also has a book & its fantastic.

(no, I never met these people or pig and have nothing to gain by posting about them).

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 7

I think Obama is being too nice. I think he should be warning everyone this entire time about what we're really doing here. He can hand over power while making it clear what he's handing it to.

I think it's better if people are panicked. If he doesn't treat it as normal, then others won't either, maybe not even the media. None of this give him a chance stuff. More of our system demands we hand over power but we will scream it from the rafters that we are handing power to someone who is threatening democracy and we have to be ready to respond.

• Love 9

I'm still feeling that heady mix of depression and embarrassment. I mean, a white nationalist for chief of staff? Will David Duke be our ambassador to Israel? 

This cretin has no idea how government works and probably doesn't care. Am I living in the sequel to Idiocracy and no one told me? 

• Love 19

I am so deeply concerned about these White House appointments that are being announced, and what it means when it comes time to nominate Supreme Court justices.  I just do not see where the checks and balances are going to be.  Yes, ACLU can file suits and work their way through the courts, but will land in a Trump-majority Supreme Court.  The Senate Democrats can filibuster up to a point, but not forever.  The person (Trump) with huge obligations to banks now controls who will control the banks, here and abroad.  Anyone who thinks he will change because of the weight of the presidency has not been paying attention to how he has operated his whole life:  Trump interests first, and everything else last. 

I have always laughed at smart friends in professional careers (professors, lawyers) who kept a significant amount of cash at home in case of governmental disaster (they were not Obama fans), because they assumed someday we would not have ready access to our savings.  Now I feel the same way.  (No, they are not Trump fans -- just deep Republicans who wanted an actual Republican president, not this representative of the Party of Self Interest.)

• Love 4

Oh, I see Trump will be Reincing the Priebus for Chief of Staff and the white nationalist will merely be an advisor. Well, I feel like I fell backward into a manure pile instead of face first. Phew. 

I wonder if Dubya is out there somewhere, painting a picture of his feet, carefully consuming a pretzel, and trying not to weep with gratitude that he will no longer be the biggest stain on American politics. 

• Love 20
1 minute ago, jjj said:

I am so deeply concerned about these White House appointments that are being announced, and what it means when it comes time to nominate Supreme Court justices.  I just do not see where the checks and balances are going to be.  Yes, ACLU can file suits and work their way through the courts, but will land in a Trump-majority Supreme Court.  The Senate Democrats can filibuster up to a point, but not forever.  The person (Trump) with huge obligations to banks now controls who will control the banks, here and abroad.  Anyone who thinks he will change because of the weight of the presidency has not been paying attention to how he has operated his whole life:  Trump interests first, and everything else last. 

I have always laughed at smart friends in professional careers (professors, lawyers) who kept a significant amount of cash at home in case of governmental disaster (they were not Obama fans), because they assumed someday we would not have ready access to our savings.  Now I feel the same way.  (No, they are not Trump fans -- just deep Republicans who wanted an actual Republican president, not this representative of the Party of Self Interest.)

I think that going forward we're in for a lot more appointments that will be even more concerning than Reince Priebus and Steve Bannon and we're going to have to get used to it. If it's any consolation at all, Reince Priebus may just be able to temper down Bannon a little with President Trump.

My husband is exactly like your friends, he has always kept a good amount of cash at home in the case of a bank failure. Of course when the banks failed at the start of the great depression there weren't stop-gaps and safety nets in place as they are today. It won't hurt to be cautiously prepared for anything.

• Love 2