Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Beanball

So nude pics of Jennie will be showing up soon. Lawson will not be able to resist taking a peek.

Not sure what I thought about the beanball war. I don't like that that Jenny let that guy bait her.

I knew that the manager would be sticking around. I like how he used politics to save his job.

Not a huge fan of the GM and his issues.

So Ginny had pictures of Zack Morris on her wall too? Cue the heart eyed emojis! (Shallow note, I need more shirtless MPG!) 

The good: Al fighting to save his job with the one person who has the true weight. And wins.

The bad: I guess it was a bit too easy and yet too early to admit that Ginny did have a BF who was worth "breaking her code" which turned out to a mistake.  And oh yeah, nudie pics are coming soon enough! (snooze.) 

• Love 5

Didn't really like this one. The beanball war was tedious as was the storyline with Ginny's ex-boyfriend.

I did find the Coach Luango's power play interesting, but that was about it.

Was Ginny and the player who just came off the DL list giving each other the look there at the end? It kind of seemed like it, especially from him, but maybe it was just the chemistry between the actors. They sort of popped in that scene.

Next week's episode looks interesting. If her brother doesn't show in that episode or is even mentioned, either the writers will have dropped the ball or he and Ginny are estranged.

42 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

So nude pics of Jennie will be showing up soon. Lawson will not be able to resist taking a peek.

Not sure what I thought about the beanball war. I don't like that that Jenny let that guy bait her.

I knew that the manager would be sticking around. I like how he used politics to save his job.

Not a huge fan of the GM and his issues.

Not just Lawson. The whole damn team, not to mention other players in the league. Hopefully it won't be nude pictures and will just be pictures of her in a very relaxed and maybe slightly compromising position with a fellow ball player she used to date. If they go the nude route, that might be a hole the show can't realistically dig themselves out of. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I don't think he intentionally bait her.  Both he and the pitcher seemed to have no desire to hit her which of course pissed her off given how she wanted to be treated.

9 minutes ago, Enero said:

Was Ginny and the player who just came off the DL list giving each other the look there at the end?

I think it was just about him accepting her.

14 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

So Ginny had pictures of Zack Morris on her wall too?

She had his card.  She admitted that.  But I tend to take her word over her agent's as to whether or not she had his picture on her wall.  In the few episodes we have had, I don't get the sense that Ginny's relationship with her manager is one where she'd share that kind of personal information. 

Overall, I liked this episode.  I liked how Al showed some deft political skills.  I think the manager's daughter is young Jane on Jane The Virgin.  I didn't even mind the flashbacks in this episode because they were at least focused in order to lead up to the reveal of who the catcher is to Ginny unlike last week's multi-story flashback episode.

• Love 8

Please don't let them be nude pics. Let them be Ginny spooning with the catcher or doing something embarassing. I agree with Enero that nude photos are a hole that will be hard to get out of.

Back to the episode, I love that Ginny still engaged with the Beanball War. She was right, if she was a dude, she would have been egged on in the first inning to throw at their best hitter or the (when they got there) their pitcher. And I like that she didn't drop it when the Mountain walked her.

Speaking of the Mountain, loved when Lawson held him back and he kept repeating "I was never going to hit her." I hate when guys say they can never hit a girl, but I did appreciate the small character bit for the Mountain in the moment. It was exactly what Ginny was talking about.

Did anyone chuckle that Lawson and Ginny's other ally on the team (his name is escaping me) both said they were going to run out there, but neither of them threw punches? I liked that it was the other pitcher who did the tackling. In that moment, Ginny's choice to engage in the Beanball mess gained her more allies too, and she knew it.

Edited by SnoGirl
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't think he intentionally bait her.  Both he and the pitcher seemed to have no desire to hit her which of course pissed her off given how she wanted to be treated.

I was referring to the teammate who disliked her. I thought she let him bait her into hitting the other pitcher even though Lawson told her not to.

Edited by SimoneS

"Can we talk about Theo Falcone?" was just the first of about a dozen exchanges that literally would never take place in a major-league dugout, because they all work there and they do not need to tell each other there's "a code." They...know that. They know the others know that. It's...a code. Talking about the issue it encodes in so many words is...not how that works.

Except for Brian McCann. I kind of feel like those 2010-2013 Braves teams talked about "The Code" to people who already knew about it full well all the time. And McCann was pretty much baseball's self-appointed fun police.

This show keeps raising about 15 or so good story ideas per episode, and failing to execute them. And mishandling it's drama worse than Buck Showalter in an extra inning playoff game...

OTOH, yeah that was perfect casting of the Bench Coach. Who kind of looks about as Don Zimmer-y as you might get in Hollywood.

• Love 1

Lawson was way too happy to hear that Ginny had his poster on her wall. He was practically giddy.  And he was way too curious about Ginny's former relationship. He's got it bad, even when he's hooking up with someone else. I'm fully aboard the Lawson/Ginny shipper train, though ratings are so bad we may never see it come to fruition.

Nice little subplot with the translator. Well, it wasn't super interesting or anything but a lot of clubhouses have to interact with players who don't speak English and have to communicate using translators.

Has Mark Consuelos had Botox? My God, he looks like a melted candle!

Maybe I just watch too much baseball, but the constant explaining about things like the "code" when it comes to beaning other players was a bit much. I know it's for the non-baseball watchers but I felt it was heavy-handed.

Welcome back to my TV screen, Wendy Malick. It was great seeing her.

I've always rolled my eyes profusely at fighting in baseball, to the point where the bullpen feels the need to run out to the field just to basically stand around and prove their machismo.

I did enjoy Ginny and the starter she replaced (God I cannot remember anyone's name) bonding over the beanball thing. It felt a little ham-fisted, but I enjoyed it. It was utterly ridiculous for Ali Larter to run down to the dugout to tell Lawson not to make Ginny hit. Epic eyeroll. They really are not giving the poor actress much to work with.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 6

I like the note of sexual tension between Mike and Ginny but I don't know if I like the idea of them actually together. I feel like it causes more problems then it solves. I actually like him and the manager. I feel like ultimately Mike and Ginny work best as big brother and little sister. I like the idea of Mike and and the manager acting as a quasi parental unit to Ginny. I think they both ultimately hitched themselves to her wagon for the same reason. They want to make their mark and be a part of history. Whether that's enough to build a relationship time will tell. I just hope we get to enough of the show to see it.

• Love 8

Aww I liked Trevor a lot. He seemed to really like Ginny, and I know she had a code but his dreams were coming true and she just left him. I know she has a big chip on her shoulder, but she has to let people in. I still love her- the actress is fantastic and so likable.

Al is smart, first with talking to one of the minority owners and then busting out Korean.

• Love 1

I'm bummed that the ratings are no good. I really enjoy this show and Kylie Burnbury is charming as hell. This was, I thought, the best episode so far. Everyone seems to have settled into their characters.

It does seem like they're setting Lawson up to be a romantic interest, but that could just be the way the actors are playing it. I don't think I'd mind it either way, as long as the story stays good. 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, BabyVegas said:

I'm bummed that the ratings are no good. I really enjoy this show and Kylie Burnbury is charming as hell. This was, I thought, the best episode so far. Everyone seems to have settled into their characters.

It does seem like they're setting Lawson up to be a romantic interest, but that could just be the way the actors are playing it. I don't think I'd mind it either way, as long as the story stays good. 

It's not on a great night.

I mean it's a sports drama that airs the same time as Thursday Night Football, and now the ALDS.

I skipped it tonight and PVR'D it cause there was no way I was missing the Cleveland/Boston game. Real baseball trumps dramatized baseball.

• Love 3

I read the PTV article about this episode and, while I get that the expositional talk isn't realistic, I also appreciate that they do it. Can't speak for everyone who watches the show, but I don't know much about baseball, and I don't care enough about the sport to learn. I'm more of a football gal. But I like this show for more than just the setting, and I am glad that they tell me what is going on (like WTF a "beanball game" is, because I didn't know). It's a TV show, and it's job is to be entertaining first and foremost. It isn't to stay perfectly true to every nuance of the sport of baseball. It needs to be accessible to an audience that might not know how to keep stats or have a fantasy baseball team.

• Love 21

The beanball storyline was a bit uncomfortable for me, since the team I cheer for seems to get involved in that sort of thing entirely too often. Still, I thought it was a good device to help Ginny get some allies on her team, instead of further alienating her from the group.

I enjoyed the storyline with the manager Al, especially the part when it turned out he could speak Korean and no one seemed to be aware of that. Now, I know this show isn't totally based in reality, but don't most teams have someone on staff to act as an interpreter for non-English speaking players? I know the Blue Jays have an interpreter on call for Spanish speaking players, and I've seen players on other teams doing press conferences with interpreters also. Just a little nitpick though.

Overall, I'm really enjoying this show, which means it will probably be cancelled soon. I hope not...

• Love 2

"It needs to be accessible to an audience that might not know how to keep stats or have a fantasy baseball team."

I get that, but if it's also aimed at people who DO know the game, for us, that exposition is superfluous. If you have to do that much explaining to bring "the average viewer" up to speed on *what your show is about*, your show...is about the wrong thing.

I do understand what the job of the show is. My point is that it's not doing that job very well.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

I get that, but if it's also aimed at people who DO know the game, for us, that exposition is superfluous. If you have to do that much explaining to bring "the average viewer" up to speed on *what your show is about*, your show...is about the wrong thing.

If the show is "about baseball," you are 100% right. I don't think this is really a show about baseball, though. It seems to be more about gender politics. The show treats baseball as a sort of male-dominated backdrop. Which, if I were a baseball fan, I would find kind of annoying, so I get it :)

• Love 7

Not a baseball fan either and I don't mind the exposition. I gather from your article that they are at least getting the explanations more or less right, which is a great deal better than those of us in the tech world have to put up with.

• Love 9

I think the show missed an easy opportunity to squeeze in some exposition for the non-experts without having to make the players be the ones to do it: Amelia. They've already established that she's not in this to be a sports agent and she probably doesn't know much about baseball, so all they'd have to do would have her be confused while watching the game and let one of the other people in the luxury box give a quick explanation for what's going on. 

That said, I'm still enjoying the show. The Ginny/Mike dynamic is what keeps bringing me back.

• Love 6

Now, I know this show isn't totally based in reality, but don't most teams have someone on staff to act as an interpreter for non-English speaking players? I know the Blue Jays have an interpreter on call for Spanish speaking players, and I've seen players on other teams doing press conferences with interpreters also. Just a little nitpick though.

They did address that. The player did have an interpreter, but the interpreter was sick with the flu. Al (I think it was him) had banned her from the locker room because he didn't want the entire team to get it. I suppose they could have conference called her to do the interpretation, but that would have been a little cold. Al handled it much better.

I really like this show, and I really hope it sticks around. 

It was nice seeing Ginny bonding with the team a bit more, and gaining their respect. Ginny clearly just wants to be treated like a player, but there is that whole "girls need to be protected" thing, which really is a huge pain in the ass. I liked Ginny's whole thing about how the "good guys" were even worse than the straight up assholes, because they're the ones who think shes just a sweet little flower that should be protected, just because shes a woman. 

This episode, I did start to see a Ginny/Lawson thing, and if they do go there, I hope its not for a while. 

Damn, Al has got some serious moves. He talks his way back into his job, and he apparently speaks Korean! Cant wait to see where this goes next. 

• Love 7
58 minutes ago, kili said:

They did address that. The player did have an interpreter, but the interpreter was sick with the flu. Al (I think it was him) had banned her from the locker room because he didn't want the entire team to get it. I suppose they could have conference called her to do the interpretation, but that would have been a little cold. Al handled it much better.

Thanks! I must have missed that part somehow. Makes sense. 

They are definitely shipping Ginny / Lawson and have a convert on their hands. On the other hand, if they don't go there, I guess that would be fine too. I don't know why Lawson didn't want to cop to playing golf though, if they were just being friendly. 

Re: Al and Korean, I didn't think he spoke Korean, just that he may have memorised the words he needed to, in order to break bad news. But you guys may be right and he does speak the language. Would have made coaching him much easier for sure. 

I liked when Lawson was getting a massage and Ginny called him old man. I think that he definitely has a thing for Ginny. He waited for her to get the story about her ex- and his body language came off as flirty. I think that there is nothing on Ginny's side as yet. I do like Lawson with the agent though. Unfortunately, I think that she likes him more than he likes her, maybe that will change.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5

I enjoyed this episode a little more than last week's. Oddly enough, having the episode entirely around one game was intriguing for me. 

I liked Ginny's flashback with her ex boyfriend (Trevor?). I mean, I figured she probably had to have dated a baseball player in order to create drama and to give her a reason for her insistence to never break the rule. Plus, Trevor wasn't that bad of a guy, so that was nice. But, of course, nude leaks are coming up sometime in the next few episodes. Oh, joy. The team will never let her live it down, that's for sure. And Lawson/Ginny is definitely becoming a thing. But he has more of a thing for her than she does for him.

I liked seeing small steps with Ginny and the team. I liked that the one player, Tony, finally gained some respect for her. He's been kind of a douche the last two episodes, so I enjoyed that he finally saw her as more than a girl. I don't mind that she escalated the Beanball War because she was trying to prove that the guys were too afraid to hit a girl, which ended up to be true. The Mountain telling Lawson that he wasn't going to hit her just proved it. It was definitely risky, but I can see why she did it.

I really liked seeing Al fight for his job. And he won! That was nice. And he speaks Korean! I think he probably did learn Korean, and would learn any language that his players and members speak because it would make it easier to communicate with them. 

• Love 2

A few observations:

The manager sets up the lunch in the clubhouse? Where anyone could walk in and see him with one of the owners?

Just like the liaison between Baker's agent and her catcher, this game HAS to have the one guy she had an affair with behind the plate? And people start losing their minds after one close pitch to her (which didn't even look THAT close)?

As soon as she says "no one can know," you know everyone is going to know eventually. Those phone pics are going to surface at some point. Plus, if they don't want anyone to know, DON'T START MAKING OUT IN THE PARKING LOT! And for someone who wants to keep a secret, why would you go to what was presumably a fairly local driving range?

Baker's agent/manager/whatever "is stopping this?" Really. She thinks she can just go and yell at someone because she's got a client to protect? And who does she go to? The catcher, because no one else cares who she is.

I don't give a rat's ass about the personal life of the GM. Sorry, little girl.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ron Kaplan said:

As soon as she says "no one can know," you know everyone is going to know eventually. Those phone pics are going to surface at some point.

Is there anyone left in the USA who doesn't take photos of their genitalia and leave them around to be discovered?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I enjoyed this episode a little more than last week's. Oddly enough, having the episode entirely around one game was intriguing for me. 

I liked Ginny's flashback with her ex boyfriend (Trevor?). I mean, I figured she probably had to have dated a baseball player in order to create drama and to give her a reason for her insistence to never break the rule. Plus, Trevor wasn't that bad of a guy, so that was nice. But, of course, nude leaks are coming up sometime in the next few episodes. Oh, joy. The team will never let her live it down, that's for sure. And Lawson/Ginny is definitely becoming a thing. But he has more

I really liked seeing Al fight for his job. And he won! That was nice. And he speaks Korean! I think he probably did learn Korean, and would learn any language that his players and members speak because it would make it easier to communicate with them. 

It has been a big deal in baseball for a generation that managers were learning Spanish as the player base changed. You even had a present manager Mike Scioscia who broke into his team's line up by being the personal catcher and learning game Spanish for then rookie sensation pitcher Fernando Valenzuela With more Koreans and Japanese players coming to America I would bet that many are learning enough to pad the resume

• Love 2

I thought this was the weakest of the three episodes so far, though still very watchable. For the first time I felt like the flashbacks were unnecessary (maybe because the summary in my paper totally spoiled that Trevor was going to turn out to be the opposing catcher), and it might have worked better, surprise twist wise, for us to see the fight unfold and then to get the conversation between Ginny and Trevor afterwards without having seen the flashback. We could learn about Ginny's "code" in a later episode.

And for someone who wants to be covert about her relationship, maybe making out in a public parking lot isn't the best choice...

That said, I still love the Ginny/ Mike friendship, and I also love the musical score-- it's very catchy! I really hope ratings improve, although I'm betting (hoping?) that this gets at least a full season (as long as the ratings aren't truly horrific) based on the buzz and critical acclaim it's been getting.

5 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

And for someone who wants to be covert about her relationship, maybe making out in a public parking lot isn't the best choice...

I just figure while she may have had famous potential being a minor league player she wouldn't have 24/7 paparazzi. The biological drive often overcomes the rational choices

14 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Is there anyone left in the USA who doesn't take photos of their genitalia and leave them around to be discovered?

It was the killer application of the camcorder as amateur porn killed Playboy and its likes. And remains as today digital cameras get smaller and what was once a  James Bond gadgets are carried by everybody.

I really like this show.  Ginny has chemistry with everybody, friendship or otherwise.  I like that she got a "one of the guys" moment.

I hope no nude pics will be coming out. I thought he said it was pics of them together at games and stuff, hopefully they're PG. Even so, I can see why she would still view that as a problem. The tabloids are going to eat up her having had a romance with a player. Also it'll probably undermine her not trying to be objectified.

They are definitely shipping Ginny / Lawson and have a convert on their hands. On the other hand, if they don't go there, I guess that would be fine too.

Those two have so much chemistry it would almost be wrong if they didn't go there.  However if they don't that's fine too. I still think they'll become really good friends and I'd enjoy just watching a deep friendship develop between them also.

I hope they give this show a chance.  One of my other fav shows Fringe was always struggling but they managed to get to 4 and a half seasons so hopefully this show finds a niche. 

• Love 4

Given how self conscious Ginny was about people seeing them even being around each other, nude pictures would feel out of character.  I could easily see her being just as upset about pictures of the two of them simply looking couple-y. 

I like that Ginny's old boyfriend seems like a decent guy and not some sleezoid.  That is nice. 

I don't know who that actor was who played the other pitcher, but I loved the look on his face when he reassured Lawson he wouldn't have hit Ginny,  He looked a little horrified at the thought.

I wish we could see more of Ginny and Amelia's relationship.  So far they feel more distant that it seems they should. 

And finally, yes I like the vibe between Ginny and Lawson.  I do think he has a bit of a crush on her but so far I think they are hitting just the right note with these two.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 4

Definitely my favorite show this season. 

19 hours ago, twoods said:

Aww I liked Trevor a lot.

Nope.  She had one rule.  He knew it and he lied about it.  That's a deal-breaker.

21 hours ago, DaBigDave said:

OTOH, yeah that was perfect casting of the Bench Coach. Who kind of looks about as Don Zimmer-y as you might get in Hollywood.

I had to Google, but OMG you are so right!!!

8 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I read the PTV article about this episode and, while I get that the expositional talk isn't realistic, I also appreciate that they do it.

7 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

If the show is "about baseball," you are 100% right. I don't think this is really a show about baseball, though. It seems to be more about gender politics. The show treats baseball as a sort of male-dominated backdrop. Which, if I were a baseball fan, I would find kind of annoying, so I get it :)

I'm with CLAIREWALKS.  This show is as much about baseball as SportsNight was about sports.

7 hours ago, kili said:

They addressed that too -- they called her but couldn't reach her for some reason.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

Did anyone chuckle that Lawson and Jenny's other ally on the team (his name is escaping me) both said they were going to run out there, but neither of them threw punches? I liked that it was the other pitcher who did the tackling. In that moment, Jenny's choice to engage in the Beanball mess gained her more allies too, and she knew it.

Blip?  Only a couple of guys were actually throwing punches, damn near everybody was trying to break it up and keep others out.  Blip got in there and got Ginny out, and like he told his wife, he would have been fined and suspended.  Only 2 people were throwing punches, so there was no need to start swinging

8 hours ago, WordFreak said:

The beanball storyline was a bit uncomfortable for me, since the team I cheer for seems to get involved in that sort of thing entirely too often. Still, I thought it was a good device to help Ginny get some allies on her team, instead of further alienating her from the group.

Royals?  I still chuckle at Salvador Perez doing nothing to stop Manny Machado from decking Yordano Ventura, because Salvy was sick of saving Ventura's ass.

As a baseball fan, I hate "the code" and that damn unwritten rules nonsense.  I would have loved if Mike told Ginny, "You really want to get payback?  The best payback is winning."

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Jediknight said:

Only a couple of guys were actually throwing punches, damn near everybody was trying to break it up and keep others out.

Which of course is your typical baseball brawl.  Maybe a punch or two, some wrestling around, mostly guys pushing and shoving, trying to look tough without getting hurt.

• Love 6

And, coming up in a future episode, (wait for it...), Amelia, who desperately wants a baby, tells Lawson she's pregnant.  Because it's tv.

I had a good laugh at the sportscaster saying Ginny was "0 for the entire summer".  A little sharp, there.  Yet next week she is at least nominated to the All-Star Team.

I always understood a beanball to be a pitch aimed specifically at the head. Very dangerous, and likely cause for immediate ejection. I saw a player get hit by a headstrike pitch (not sure if it was intentional) in Single A ball, and he went down and didn't move.  It took at least 10 minutes to get him revived and his game was over.  And that's Single A.  Hitting the other batter, on the other hand, would normally get a first warning, right?  As they showed on the field. 

28 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I like that Ginny's old boyfriend seems like a decent guy and not some sleezoid.

Although someone who keeps risque photos on a hackable data base, while not sleazy, is mighty careless.

I hope they keep up a good mix of personal story arcs, without getting to soapy, and baseball action.  If I wanted pure baseball, I'd watch baseball (at least til the end of the month), or any one of a selection of classic movies.  "Anything that goes that far should have a stewardess on it."

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Raja said:

I just figure while she may have had famous potential being a minor league player she wouldn't have 24/7 paparazzi.

I wasn't thinking of paparazzi, but rather other players or just fans of the team who might recognize her. I could see her being relatively famous with the locals. I get that she liked the guy, but geez, you could at least get in the car.

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

Yet next week she is at least nominated to the All-Star Team.

Starting fielders are voted on by fans, but the pitchers and reserves are usually selected by each team's manager, normally the managers of the prior season's World Series teams.  I assume it will happen that there was some pressure on said manager to select her for the publicity value, rather than her on-field performance.

I always understood a beanball to be a pitch aimed specifically at the head. Very dangerous, and likely cause for immediate ejection. I saw a player get hit by a headstrike pitch (not sure if it was intentional) in Single A ball, and he went down and didn't move.  It took at least 10 minutes to get him revived and his game was over.  And that's Single A.  Hitting the other batter, on the other hand, would normally get a first warning, right?  As they showed on the field.

Yes, a bean ball is a pitch that hits a batter in the head.  It's usually not cause for immediate ejection, unless it was intentional - if there was no build up, and a pitch just gets away from the pitcher, he won't normally be ejected.  Ginny received a warning - and both teams get warned - because hitting the batter was obviously in retaliation for her teammate being hit.  After both teams are warned, if any pitcher hits a batter, intentional or not, he and his manager are ejected.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Me...and be thankful for that! ;-)

Ah, Moose. Don't underestimate yourself. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, you know?

23 hours ago, Enero said:

Was Ginny and the player who just came off the DL list giving each other the look there at the end? It kind of seemed like it, especially from him, but maybe it was just the chemistry between the actors. They sort of popped in that scene.

Ginny has said over and over that she's a ballplayer who wants to be treated like "one of the guys." And earning Tommy's (Timmy's?) respect was a big part of that. She absolutely wanted that brawl to happen--she instigated it. The pitcher walks her--she talks trash to him. Trevor tries to calm her down--she gets in his face and starts bumping his chest. I think she knew the Padres dugout would clear out for her. 

1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

And finally, yes I like the vibe between Ginny and Lawson.  I do think he has a bit of a crush on her but so far I think they are hitting just the right note with these two.

I think Kylie and MPG have great scenes together. Their performances are strong, and they seem at-ease with one another. 

And I'm sure--I hope--Lawson likes Ginny as a person more than anything else. He lamented to his ex-wife--and I think to his teammates, too--that he has no one in his life besides his teammates. In terms of the women in his life, I don't think he and Amelia have ever had a real conversation, and I'm sure he didn't have a heart-to-heart with his "Uber driver." But here comes this cocky but sincere and vulnerable rookie, and though he mentors her, Ginny is teaching Lawson a few things, too.

So Ginny has the potential to be "his person," and vice-versa. Because she's also very isolated, and though Ginny is friendly with Amelia and Blip's wife, she doesn't unburden her soul with either one of them. I hope she becomes close enough to Lawson to feel safe doing that (but not that close, if you know what I mean). 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 12

Oh forgot to mention... glad to see Kelly Jenrette show up again on my tv screen as Oscar's assistant Rhonda.  I loved her in Grandfathered where she was John Stamos' right hand.  So it is nice to see her here again at the side of yet another slick man in a bespoke suit.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

I'm with CLAIREWALKS.  This show is as much about baseball as SportsNight was about sports.

I'm with you both as well.  And even shows being about what they're about have exposition from people who wouldn't need to...exposite?  The West Wing was about governing but in almost every episode, there was exposition to explain what governmental or political thing, focused on in that episode, meant.  So perhaps it could have been done more gracefully, like using Amelia who doesn't know much about baseball, but I didn't mind the exposition.  In fact, I appreciated it. I used to watch baseball with my dad so I understand the basic rules but didn't know much of anything they discussed in this episode.

I liked the mix of personal and professional in this episode.  I especially liked how Ginny stepping up to settle the score led Tommy to soften on her.

58 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

Although someone who keeps risque photos on a hackable data base, while not sleazy, is mighty careless.

Right. I'm kind of torn on the ex.  I was unclear if he intentionally kept the pictures or accidentally kept them by deleting them from his phone but forgot to delete them from the cloud.  (I don't have an iphone so I don't know how that works.) He should have been more careful and deleted them once he realized they were still there.  But he did give her a warning that they might be stolen.

1 minute ago, DearEvette said:

I loved her in Grandfathered where she was John Stamos' right hand.  So it is nice to see her here again at the side of yet another slick man in a bespoke suit.

Oh thanks!  I knew I recognized her.

As for Ginny and Mike, I ship them but ideally in a way that this show sticks around long enough that everyone is established, Mike is about to retire, and the show might go off the air.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Which of course is your typical baseball brawl.  Maybe a punch or two, some wrestling around, mostly guys pushing and shoving, trying to look tough without getting hurt.

True, although the bullpens did join that skirmish way too quickly.

For a show about baseball I feel like all the other petty drama they focus on overshadows baseball completely. Its not even entertaining drama. I'm about to give this show one more episode before giving up because its going in a stupid direction and I find myself channel flipping over to actual baseball.

On 10/6/2016 at 10:30 PM, Irlandesa said:

I think the manager's daughter is young Jane on Jane The Virgin.  I didn't even mind the flashbacks in this episode because they were at least focused in order to lead up to the reveal of who the catcher is to Ginny unlike last week's multi-story flashback episode.

No young Jane on Jane the Virgin is Jenny Ortega from the Disney Channel Show Stuck in the Middle.

I'm tired of the overuse of flashbacks on this show its lazy writing

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, In2You said:

No young Jane on Jane the Virgin is Jenny Ortega from the Disney Channel Show Stuck in the Middle.

Thanks.  I looked up the actress and she was on Cristela so that must be where I recognized her from.

I didn't get the impression that the ex had nudes of Ginny or them on his phone. He simply said "selfies", if I remember correctly. I think she was worried that the team and others would find out that she has indeed dated ball players, considering it was a topic brought up with them earlier in the episode when they teased her about the present from Drake. Surely if Ginny thought he had nudes possibly hacked from his phone, she would've been a bit more worried about that after their conversation instead of casually going to talk to Lawson and then accepting Tommy's invite to hang out with the guys. Not to mention she  was still lying to Mike in that scene about who the ex was.

The show is clearly going for Lawson/Ginny romantically, and they have a nice chemistry, I'll give them that, but I really really hope they don't go there. Not only is he over a decade older than her, but her rule seems very important to her, and well, I just don't want it. I wish it would stick to her hero worshiping crush and him seeing her more as a younger sister and someone to mentor before he retires.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, BabyVegas said:

Are the ratings really not good? I don't really pay attention to that kind of stuff. That sucks. I really like this show. Sure, it has it's flaws, but I think the positive things about this show outweigh that. I love the cast - each character is cast perfectly, I think. It's kind giving me whiplash how many stories they're trying to juggle, but at this point, I'm invested in them all.

I really liked Ginny's ex-boyfriend. Actually felt bad for him most of the episode. Still loving me some Mark-Paul. The previews for next week look really good. 

• Love 2