Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: The Big Event

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

17 hours ago, louannems said:

When Jana and Joy inspect the guest house, prior to "remodeling",  anyone notice how the camaras kept panning to the unmade bed.  When is a Duggar bed ever made up with sheets, blanket and topper?

Yes, plus, did we ever get to the bottom of who is living there currently? At first I thought they just had it all set up with helpful things for guests, but the more they showed, the more it was apparent that people were currently living there. It would make a lot of sense if it were the Smuggars, but the only question is where they went when Jill and Derrick went back. I'm wondering if they got a family friend to buy the house in his/her name to avoid the press getting wind of where they're living.

15 hours ago, Absolom said:

Of course there is.  We have friends who have 15 kids and they are supporting them all.  Of course, they are also making sure that their kids get an education and they will go to college when they graduate from a real high school. 

Yes, when living frugally, a huge family can be supported on an average salary. Of course it means no huge vacations or meals out, but it can be done.

5 hours ago, Absolom said:

Yes, Jim Bob couldn't stand to pay for it so they had to quit.  Never mind that the money was needed to keep the rink operating.

He's such a sleazy cheapskate. I can't imagine the rink was going to charge a fortune, and they're multimillionaires these days. Seriously?

1 hour ago, fuzzylollipop said:

I'm hoping she breaks the mold and does an updo for that mop for the wedding.

But seriously, I want to give Jinger a makeover so bad! A nice and modern bob cut until healthy hair grows out, a lesson in the "less is more" make-up handbook. Jeremy, help her!

But Gothard loves long, flowing waves framing the face! Boy, if you're giving "less is more" makeup lessons, PLEASE invite Jill Rodrigues too! 

• Love 4

On on one of Baaaaabbbbe's TH, he was explaining who was coming on the trip.  I noticed he called MEchelle "Momma Duggar." I just thought this was a little odd since at this point him & Cringe aren't even engaged yet.  I realize he could have said this because technically she is Momma Duggar but I don't think most people would refer to their future MIL as  "Momma" at this point in their relationship.

I'm probably reading more into this than necessary but like someone said upthread,  it's hard to find snarkworthy material from such a boring episode.

• Love 5

Did we get to see Jana's slightly different, and therefore pointless, choice of paint colors on the walls? I don't remember seeing it. 

I'd say the person who got the most out of Ben's Jebus & Football Day Camp was Ben. He got to hang out with all those washed up elite athletes and pretend he was one of them, if only for a day. 

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

Did we get to see Jana's slightly different, and therefore pointless, choice of paint colors on the walls? I don't remember seeing it. 

I'd say the person who got the most out of Ben's Jebus & Football Day Camp was Ben. He got to hang out with all those washed up elite athletes and pretend he was one of them, if only for a day. 

Don't think we so the finished product, but here is riveting shopping trip:

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/jill-jessa-counting-on/counting-on-videos/jana-shops-for-home-decor/

and Ben designing t-shirts:

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/jill-jessa-counting-on/counting-on-videos/ben-designs-a-t-shirt/

Edited by Malvina
Another exciting link added
  • Love 1

So let me get this straight:. Ben pretends to name his football camp Life Champs Football?  But, in actuality, this organization has already been around and established???  So all of Ben's posturing was all pretending for the show???  Does TLC think we all are as dumb as the Duggars???

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, louannems said:

So let me get this straight:. Ben pretends to name his football camp Life Champs Football?  But, in actuality, this organization has already been around and established???  So all of Ben's posturing was all pretending for the show???  Does TLC think we all are as dumb as the Duggars???

Yes.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Malvina said:

OMG, they are all so simple, and Bin is so "earnest".  Why was there so much of the girls' feet?  Plus Daniel's feet?  Please give Bin a zyrtec.

Don't think we so the finished product, but here is riveting shopping trip:

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/jill-jessa-counting-on/counting-on-videos/jana-shops-for-home-decor/

Love the shade Jinger was throwing at Jill. Oh, Jill was always the Mild Child, who's never broken anything, did everything perfect, never scuffed her shoes... There is nooo resentment there at all. Nope. None.

Now I can't help but wonder if there isn't a bit of schadenfreude among the older sisters about Jill having to deal with scruffy looking Derrick and her less than optimal living conditions in Danger America.

It was nice that Jana got to show a bit of personality in this clip; while her design preferences look pretty hideous to me (Scandinavian here; I prefer plain and light, not dark and ...whatever that was) it seemed like she had a good idea of what she was looking for. A Duggar showing an interest and individual preference for anything is a plus in my book.

• Love 6

Why did Joy's voice change to the sweet, baby talk halfway thru the shopping trip video? Too bad Jana isn't buying stuff for her own apartment.

Ben has taken on the Duggar grammar.  He started with "I just gotten done a walk-thru..."  More importantly, why does this surprise me?

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Barb23 said:

On on one of Baaaaabbbbe's TH, he was explaining who was coming on the trip.  I noticed he called MEchelle "Momma Duggar." I just thought this was a little odd since at this point him & Cringe aren't even engaged yet.  I realize he could have said this because technically she is Momma Duggar but I don't think most people would refer to their future MIL as  "Momma" at this point in their relationship.

I'm probably reading more into this than necessary but like someone said upthread,  it's hard to find snarkworthy material from such a boring episode.

I thought the same thing when Jinge was referring to Babe's parents as "in-laws" when she met them for the first time in person in Laredo.  

5 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Why was there so much of the girls' feet?  Plus Daniel's feet?  http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/jill-jessa-counting-on/counting-on-videos/jana-shops-for-home-decor/

I too wondered why the camera was suddenly filming the floor when Jana broke the vase - that was odd.

The shop reminded me of the shop that Famy recently showed a photo of on Twitter/Instagram - where she implied that she's going to sell used stuff in a booth there. Of course, there's probably a bunch of those "vintage" junk stores around town.  

Jessa gushing about all of Jana's "skills" made me eye-roll. Jessa in particular is always talking like the Duggars are just SO good at whatever they do.

• Love 2

What struck me about Joy on the shopping trip vignette was that she said she is trying to make herself enjoy shopping, although she doesn't.  Why should she have to enjoy shopping?  She loved playing with the boys, but she's being forced into their rigid view of women, wearing all that make up and acting silly and dumb.  I feel sorry for her.  

• Love 9
3 hours ago, BetyBee said:

What struck me about Joy on the shopping trip vignette was that she said she is trying to make herself enjoy shopping, although she doesn't.  Why should she have to enjoy shopping?  She loved playing with the boys, but she's being forced into their rigid view of women, wearing all that make up and acting silly and dumb.  I feel sorry for her.  

Right? It's not like she has to revoke her woman card just because she doesn't enjoy shopping. It's 2016, not 1950. It's okay for girls to like football and hate cooking, or prefer to spend time fixing cars instead of sewing. We have options now ffs.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Right? It's not like she has to revoke her woman card just because she doesn't enjoy shopping. It's 2016, not 1950. It's okay for girls to like football and hate cooking, or prefer to spend time fixing cars instead of sewing. We have options now ffs.

Joy isn't into anything. If she liked football (they seem to support the local univeristy team), why couldn't she name one position? She is shitty at pretending to 'boy', for example the pilot lesson. She can only quote Barbie "Math is hard". She is a creation of the cult, no interest in ANYTHING. She will help raise children. gasp!

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 10

If someone took me up in a plane to learn how to fly, I would have questions. I don't recall Joy asking anything. I would also watch what the pilot was doing, not take in the scenery and be so excited to see my own house. Joy looked outside the plane the whole time.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, sometimesy said:

Joy isn't into anything. If she liked football (they seem to support the local univeristy team), why couldn't she name one position? She is shitty at pretending to 'boy', for example the pilot lesson. She can only quote Barbie "Math is hard". She is a creation of the cult, no interest in ANYTHING. She will help raise children. gasp!

I think she is into things.  Just things that in their opinion would send her to hell.  Let's just say if she had an opportunity to live in a very liberal live and let live environment her choices may be a bit different.  They are trying to jam a square peg into a round hole.  

Ok this is going to sound stupid but I have thought this since Bin came into the picture.  He and Jessa remind me of Bud and Sissy of Urban Cowboy.  Maybe its just Bin looking like a young John Travolta and a clueless look about him in that particular movie.  Bud was kind of a dipshit but had good intentions and Sissy had spunk/attitude.  Now if they start going to prison rodeos...

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

I think she is into things.  Just things that in their opinion would send her to hell.  Let's just say if she had an opportunity to live in a very liberal live and let live environment her choices may be a bit different.  They are trying to jam a square peg into a round hole.  

Ok this is going to sound stupid but I have thought this since Bin came into the picture.  He and Jessa remind me of Bud and Sissy of Urban Cowboy.  Maybe its just Bin looking like a young John Travolta and a clueless look about him in that particular movie.  Bud was kind of a dipshit but had good intentions and Sissy had spunk/attitude.  Now if they start going to prison rodeos...

We would like to believe these kids are just chomping at the bit, but Josiah is a perfect example of a lamp dimming, flickering and finally ... darkness.

I no longer believe Bin has good intentions. That belief vanished when he used an existing group, without acknowledging them (from what I gather in theses forums), to pretend to be HIS efforts to start a youth sports group.

• Love 15

We would like to believe these kids are just chomping at the bit, but Josiah is a perfect example of a lamp dimming, flickering and finally ... darkness.

To be fair to Josiah he possessed quite a bright spark until his parents sent him to Jesus Boot Camp for the better part of a year. Since those places seem to be designed to break spirits I can't really fault the poor boy for his lack of spark these days. They broke him.

• Love 9

By no means is Joy or any of her siblings a genius, but I think she is taking to heart the "advice" that I'm sure she is getting from her married sisters and Anna that guys only like girls who are dumb and thus need a big strong headship. Even if she knew a thing or 2 about football, I think she thinks it's better to play the damsel who sits there saying "a 2 point conversion, oh heavens I don't know what that is at all -- my big strong headship will teach me." And she probably realizes that demonstrating too much knowledge of any "male" interest, be it football or airplanes or whatever, will make her look "unladylike" and we can't have that, esp. now that she is of age. I think she -- more than her other sisters -- hides her true "self" the most. She doesn't like shopping -- yet she goes along to watch the kids. On that dumb retreat she said she doesn't like wearing dresses and she doesn't know what she will do on her wedding day. Before she could even finish the thought Anna -- the best person in the WORLD to give guy advice -- jumps in talking about how there are sooo many types of wedding dresses that aren't like traditional dresses and many with skirts -- and of course Joy jumped back in with how she'd find the perfect thing for  wedding.

As much as the parents break the kids in this family, the kids break each other too. Like Anna with Joy re the wedding dress. Or back in the day on that dumb segment re what each girl want in a husband and Jinger says she wants a city boy and Jill IMMEDIATELY jumps in that -- it's ok if you don't get a city boy bc then you know the lord is trying to put it in your heart, blah blah. Or at the same earlier retreat when Jana says she wants a manual labor guy -- and immediately Jessa chimes in that when you meet the right one, you don't even ask his job. Um -- yeah -- most of us normal folks in fact DO know what our significant others do for a living, and I know I have had situations where certain jobs were dealbreakers bc I know they wouldn't work with my professional goals/demands.

• Love 13

I am not sure if this is the correct forum but Boob is doing a good job of marrying off his virgin daughters.  He seems to have a problem with the sons.  

Duggar dollars to Krispy Kreme donuts- all the daughters (over 18 years) will be gone before he finds a helpmate for a son.   Poor Anna was just a lucky strike.  

• Love 2
On 10/1/2016 at 0:06 AM, OpieTaylor said:

I too wondered why the camera was suddenly filming the floor when Jana broke the vase - that was odd.

Everything about the show is so fake, they probably reenacted the breaking vase because they didn't catch it on camera the first time.

23 hours ago, BetyBee said:

It makes me so sad for her. She reminds me of myself -- shopping bores me to tears and I only occasionally wear light makeup. She's trying so hard to fit the mold of what they think women should be, and it's taken all the light out of her eyes.

• Love 7
On 9/30/2016 at 4:58 PM, louannems said:

So let me get this straight:. Ben pretends to name his football camp Life Champs Football?  But, in actuality, this organization has already been around and established???  So all of Ben's posturing was all pretending for the show??? 

Flat-out lying makes you such a moral exemplar and Christian role model, too, doesn't it, Ben? I know they believe in lying for God, as pretty much all fundamentalist-religion types do, the world over. But I really don't see how God or any good or higher purpose benefited from this little charade. Only Ben's ego benefited, seems to me. And no, Bin, it's not like Shakespeare. It's not the theater. Your deluded "fans" think it's all "reality." And you know that.

So you lied to build up your own ego and delude little innocent dunderheads. Of course, you only did it because the producers tempted you. But that was Adam and Eve's excuse for the Big Big Sin that started the whole thing, wasn't it? So you're a holier-than-everybody little idiot who'll lie for his own benefit if asked. (Not that this surprises me. Famewhoredom (plus teen horniness, which I thought fundie religion was supposed to cure, but never mind...) is why Bin went for this, even though I think he does have some fledgling good qualities. Show and the Duggar life'll kill those soon enough, though.) Currently, he's a big ego-driven liar. Preach on that, pastor boy.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 16
On 28/09/2016 at 9:48 AM, DOBABYR said:

Michelle claimed it was a good opportunity to meet Jeremy's family.

Good opportunity to meet Jeremy's family= more teevee facetime and a paycheck. That bitch knows the cameras will not be at TTH if the flavour of the month courting couple isn't. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Flat-out lying makes you such a moral exemplar and Christian role model, too, doesn't it, Ben? I know they believe in lying for God, as pretty much all fundamentalist-religion types do, the world over. But I really don't see how God or any good or higher purpose benefited from this little charade. Only Ben's ego benefited, seems to me. And no, Bin, it's not like Shakespeare. It's not the theater. Your deluded "fans" think it's all "reality." And you know that.

So you lied to build up your own ego and delude little innocent dunderheads. Of course, you only did it because the producers tempted you. But that was Adam and Eve's excuse for the Big Big Sin that started the whole thing, wasn't it? So you're a holier-than-everybody little idiot who'll lie for his own benefit if asked. (Not that this surprises me. Famewhoredom (plus teen horniness, which I thought fundie religion was supposed to cure, but never mind...) is why Bin went for this, even though I think he does have some fledgling good qualities. Show and the Duggar life'll kill those soon enough, though.) Currently, he's a big ego-driven liar. Preach on that, pastor boy.

Thank you for basically rounding up all my thoughts/posts about this charade and putting them in one place for easy reference. 

ALL THE LIKES!

• Love 8

This was probably the most boring episode ever in the history of the Duggars. 

I hate football.

I hate Jinger rolling her eyes like a fucking 4 year old.  

I hate Jeremy and I keep repeating this...Jeremy is a nutcase with a lot of problems.  Jinger is so hot and bothered, she is thinking about his crotch and not noticing how abnormal he is.  I suspect Jim Bob actually knows Jeremy is a stark raving lunatic but is thinking about money and Jinger is stuck on this guy for whatever insane reason so he decided to shut up.   That is the nicest thing I have ever said about Jim Bob...Jim Bob doesn't like Jeremy and neither do I. 

Painting that house was boring.  There was nothing wrong with the paint, other than the color wasn't to their liking.  So what?  I hate my living room paint and I haven't painted yet.  Why?  I'm busy and I'm short on money raising my five kids. Totally boring for the audience.  The disliked the kitchen?  The kitchen was adequate.  Jana and Joy sounded a bit spoiled and pissy.

Joy is alarmingly stupid. She is really dumb.  i think she takes the prize for Stupidest Duggar. Wow.  Guess Jana has to take care of Joy too? 

Why can't these girls, who are raised to be "traditional" homemakers, cook a damn thing????????????  WTF???? 

• Love 20

I think Jinger truly believes it's Jeremy or nothing. She's watched Jana become an object of pity for being unwed at the geriatric age of 26 and doesn't want to end up on the spinster shelf. Since Jinger doesn't work or volunteer or have friends or go to school, there's really no opportunity to meet eligible men. So along comes a decent looking guy who says the right things, recites the right Bible quotes and appears to have "chosen" Jinger out of all the eligible women in the world and she's understandably smitten. She wants things to work out so badly she's willing sidestep issues that would make normal women hesitate, such as the fact that Jeremy is 30, doesn't have a real job and is living in a college-kid starter apartment. 

• Love 16
29 minutes ago, Marigold said:

This is where sheltering your children blows up in your face.  Jinger is ignorant about life, men and mental problems. She gets a warm feeling with Jeremy and thinks it's the Holy Spirit telling her that he is the one. 

And their system has double failed Jinger because Jim Bob is not protecting her due to his concern for ratings.  Jim Bob knows this jeremy guy is a freak.  No way Jim Bob hasn't picked up on it.  It's on his face...he does not like Jeremy. But he will let it slide for ratings.  So, the headship, who is there to protect her, is looking for quick money and Jinger is too stupid on her own to realize Jeremy is a loser.  How sick is that? 

Jinger is going to have troubles with Jeremy.  Maybe not in the first year or two.  But his mental health looks very unstable to me.  It will be an issue in their marriage one way or the other.

I think his parents know Jeremy is off.  The Vuolos are very religious folk but I don't get the freak Gothard cult vibe from them.  His siblings seem to be normal and not cultish.  Extended family appears to be regular people. But yet, the parents sat there and smiled while Jeremy gets himself involved with a controversial family and a cult religion???  Jim Bob was pretty rude and obnoxious and they sat and took it.   My opinion is that this is a step up for Jeremy.  His parents are thinking "Ok, I hate the Duggars but it is better than Jeremy's mental breakdown from two years ago and he seems to be happy so let's just hope this works out for poor jeremy.  At least he isn't rocking himself and sobbing all night while chanting Bible verses, hiding in the broom closet" 

I really feel bad for Jinger that she has no life skills to realize Jeremy is a nutter. 

This sounds like a distinct possibility...

• Love 2

@Marigold...so much your post. I hope it goes green.  I would have made it so myself, but I only get to like it once. You have maintained that there is something skeevy about Jeremy right from the start. People who go by their gut aren't usually far wrong. Going from pro soccer stud to guilt ridden Fundy looney who rails against masturbation and makes YouTube videos about it is a huge about face. 

I get that he made a conscious choice to follow God and be a better person, and chose to lose habits and people that were damaging to him. Nothing wrong with that, but of many paths he could have chosen, he took the extreme lunatic fringe. Jinger had no choice in how she was raised, but he CHOSE this.

• Love 10

See, the CHOOSING bit is where I think Boob is actually a kindred spirit with Derick (remember, Boob was a dick to him, too, at the beginning). All three of these guys CHOSE the extremism, while OTOH, Ben was raised in it. I think Boob's main issue with Jeremy is that by living (and taping) in Laredo, it takes money out of HIS pocket by not being able to consolidate shooting locations. 

Because when all is said and done when talking about Boob, it's all about the mighty dollar; I don't think he's doing much of what he's doing to protect his virginal daughter. With that many kids, it's unlikely that they have much of a relationship, especially since she's a lowly female, and not a money-maker for the family. Boob values his sons and keeps them on the reservation because they make money for him. He now likes Ben for the same reason; Ben gets his token job cleaning toilets to say he's employed, Boob has another set of hands to refurbish his flips. 

Really, he's transparent as hell, and it's becoming more and more obvious as the Howlers become older and leave the classroom to work for Pops. I talked about this on another thread, and that's probably where this conversation should go from now on. 

But in the end, Boob fails to recognize his own traits in others. Classic narcissist. 

• Love 9

I thought Jeremy was raised fundy as well? By a convert no less. Then went on to live a more worldy life for a few years but repented and then returned as the prodigal son after his goalie career failed? His dad has some pretty extreme views about female subservience so even though his parents aren't Gothard-level crazy I don't think they're just mainstream religious either; those anti-masturbation ideas had to come from somewhere. The women of the family are allowed to wear pants, are not expected to breed uncontrollably and are allowed to have a life outside of the home, so they seem less extreme than Bin's parents but more so than Derick's but I'm not sure Jeremy's fundy-ism is a choice as much as a return to his childhood roots.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Marigold said:

his mental health looks very unstable to me.  

I don't doubt this in any way. But if were to diagnose him, what do we think? Not depression. Anxiety. No. Not bi-polar. Just fucking crazy batshit nuts? I think that might be our answer. 

• Love 3

I think Jim Bob giving Derick a hard time was more acting for the cameras and a bit of a "hazing" to initiate him into the club.  Jim Bob was Derick's prayer partner so he must've liked him at some point.  Jeremy looks pretty darn unliked. 

Vaysh, Oh, I agree, jeremy's parents are very religious but I believe they function in a normal society.  jeremy was allowed to attend public high school.  he played on a sports team and attended college.  His mom and sister look normal.  They wear pants and his mother has shorter hair.  I think I read that she works as a music instructor?   They have only 3 children...did they use birth control?  That is a private question that I don't like to speculate on (maybe they had difficulty getting pregnant or who knows?) but they clearly don't have a large family.  Birth control could've been acceptable for them.  There are a few clues that they may be religous but not screwballs.  

Jeremy was certainly raised in a religious home but it just doesn't have a cult like feel to it.   The Duggars are dysfunctional and we all know that the Gothard group is cult like with allegations of sexual abuse.  It doesn't get much worse. 

I think Jeremy had some sort of break down and needs this super controlling, rigid religion or he has something that he is afraid of within himself and is using this hard core 24/7 blasting religion to repress/cover it.   He has now found this intense version of Christiantiy and has jumped in with both feet. Jeremy seems way, way more extreme than his parents. 

• Love 10

I agree with Marigold. Pa Vuolo's church is conservative, but not the family-integrated model favored by the hardcore fundies. They have actual Sunday School, Youth Group, and other activities that you see in more mainstream churches. 

Jeremy has gone waaaay past where his parents are; I'd classify them as fundie-lite. It seems as if Jeremy's views were cemented when he moved to San Antonio c. 2013 and hooked up with that pastor whose church he represents in Laredo. 

Boob never had to really deal with his own FIL, who lived in Ohio. He has no point of reference to deal with these young men, but he fails to see himself as a young man, fervently religious and ambitious, in Jeremy. I seriously doubt that Boob has noticed the similarities in personalities and that is the reason he shows such disdain for the guy. Boob just isn't that observant. He just sees potential for more money, and man, a legitimate church with Jim Bob Duggar's name on it, pastored  by Jeremy, would stroke his massive ego like nothing else. 

Don't forget, "Jana's" storefront still sits empty...

It will be interesting to see who wins that battle of "wits."

• Love 3

That would play into him using Boob for a high-profile church. It's really a win-win for both of these guys, because I think Jeremy's ego is every bit as huge as his future FIL's. It comes across loud and clear in his writings. That's why I am so interested in seeing how this particular relationship plays out. I don't think Jeremy will buckle like Derick and Ben have. 

• Love 4

I'd classify them as fundie-lite.

I'll take your word for it. Our different interpretations is probably due to cultural differences because if someone over here was espousing the views of Jeremy and his dad they would genuinely be considered religious extremist nutjobs. Like, on the absolute fringe. The Duggars now, they are simply out of orbit, which is probably why I'm so fascinated by them in a deeply horrified sort of way.

• Love 5

Oh, fundie-lite is still plenty fundie! My parents were verging on that territory when I was in high school, and the second I left home, I also left organized religion altogether because of my experiences with their chosen church. Looking back, they'd probably just qualify as conservative Christians. Some of the kids went to the local Christian school, but most sent their kids to school with heathens like the Catholics who didn't keep their kids in the (extremely expensive) high schools, and of course, me. No clothes restrictions, but sermons that sat wrong with me that I got very good at tuning out during my last two years of high school. I came from a very liberal Presbyterian background (the church was the first gay-friendly congregation in my city), but my parents decided that it was too hippie-like (this was the 70's), and now that they were 50, they wanted to move on to something more "serious." They converted to Dutch Reformed, even though neither of them had a drop of Dutch blood. They became very hateful for a while, and I had to back away from them for a time until they found their center. They actually became more liberal again as they got older, but the 80's were pure hell with them. 

• Love 6
On 10/2/2016 at 8:48 AM, Churchhoney said:

For real? I mean I know people lie, its a human thing. But Fundies really think its okay to lie for God? Like in if the lie brings someone into Fundyland? I probably sound crazy naive (or stupid), but I never knew this.

And do they reference the Bible when using these Godly lies?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

For real? I mean I know people lie, its a human thing. But Fundies really think its okay to lie for God? Like in if the lie brings someone into Fundyland? I probably sound crazy naive (or stupid), but I never knew this.

And do they reference the Bible when using these Godly lies?

Well, to be fair, only a few people have come flat out and said this, so I'm sort of exaggerating (not for the Lord, though.) And the most famous was Joseph Smith. But it's not wholly an LDS thing. There's a famous Luther quote where he talks about "good' lies being permissible if they help God and the church. And there are certainly fundamentalists who admit that they heavily shade certain truths and exaggerate when they're talking somebody out of abortion at a crisis pregnancy center or when they're arguing against evolution or for the proposition that all homosexuals do abominable things. There's definitely a tradition in many fervent fundamentalist-type faiths of saying that you can do pretty much anything as long as it's for the sake of building up God and that includes transcending the ordinary ethics we might think of.  Going to extremes of all kinds to defend one's God is pretty common in fundamentalist faiths, and I think extreme passion and action in that direction is often held to transcend any individual small-potatoes bible verse. After all, Abraham is highly praised for being willing to slaughter Isaac for zero reason except that God -- apparently on a whim -- told him to do it.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, to be fair, only a few people have come flat out and said this, so I'm sort of exaggerating (not for the Lord, though.) And the most famous was Joseph Smith. But it's not wholly an LDS thing. There's a famous Luther quote where he talks about "good' lies being permissible if they help God and the church. And there are certainly fundamentalists who admit that they heavily shade certain truths and exaggerate when they're talking somebody out of abortion at a crisis pregnancy center or when they're arguing against evolution or for the proposition that all homosexuals do abominable things. There's definitely a tradition in many fervent fundamentalist-type faiths of saying that you can do pretty much anything as long as it's for the sake of building up God and that includes transcending the ordinary ethics we might think of.  Going to extremes of all kinds to defend one's God is pretty common in fundamentalist faiths, and I think extreme passion and action in that direction is often held to transcend any individual small-potatoes bible verse. After all, Abraham is highly praised for being willing to slaughter Isaac for zero reason except that God -- apparently on a whim -- told him to do it.

Remember, too, that these are people who believe that the Bible is literally true: that the world is only 6000 years old, that the Great Flood covered the entire earth and Noah's ark contained 2 of every species, that women are subservient to men because Eve was made from Adam's rib, that people and dinosaurs coexisted ala the Flintstones...  Their definition of 'truth' is perhaps not the same as most people's.

• Love 8

omg

This is on right now and my headship is out of town.

TLC actually had some production values in the sports guys intro. Had I not read otherwise here I would have assumed that this camp thing was Bin's deal. Not a piggyback. 

I barely recognize the girls. They aren't popping their eyes. 

Ooh! Bonus scene. Boring.

Bin better figure out how to bring some emotion or energy or drama or something to the effort. snooze

Wow! He's hoping his team wins! Oh Bin. And his prayers have been answered. 

I'm so tired of hearing them complain they "had to get up early" to catch the plane.  I think Benessa complained the same way when they flew to see Flame.  We may have to remind them there are plenty of people that get up early for WORK every day, including Chik-fil-a & Starbucks employees.  I know they are night owls & are on Duggar time but I'm sure that would change if they had to hold down real jobs.

• Love 10

I'm just now watching this farce.  It's really something to see Ben take credit for this football camp.  He sat there and pretended to design a t-shirt, and when the coaches were introduced they were all wearing that shirt, and some of the shirts looked pretty worn.  I'm also wondering if Ben had participated in a Life Champs football program as a teen since he played football but was homeschooled.  So lame!

• Love 5