Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Us In The Media

Artsda
  • Start Topic

It is refreshing to see an article about the flaws in this show instead of the constant cloying praise.  Randall may have a more in depth story line but he is not a likable character and I see trouble/tragedy on the horizon with Deja, because nothing good can happen with this family. 

It is not believable that 3 adult children are still wracked by their fathers's death.  My father died when I was 13 so I speak from experience.  

• Love 3

Just found (On Demand) the after show discussions between cast members - really interesting subjects, and also nice to get a glimpse of the actors’ real personalities and their relationships with one another.

Chrissy's stepdad says that she is faking how confident she is with her body and that her weight really does bother her.  

This article also says that Chrissy was always gifted musically and that we will get to see much more of her singing on This Is Us.  I wasn't so happy to see that. lol  Not that she doesn't have a nice voice, it's just okay.  

Includes some photos of her family. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5160509/Chrissy-Metzs-family-reveal-secret-family-tragedy.html

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Chrissy's stepdad says that she is faking how confident she is with her body and that her weight really does bother her.  

This article also says that Chrissy was always gifted musically and that we will get to see much more of her singing on This Is Us.  I wasn't so happy to see that. lol  Not that she doesn't have a nice voice, it's just okay.  

Includes some photos of her family. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5160509/Chrissy-Metzs-family-reveal-secret-family-tragedy.html

Not very classy of him to be talking about her to the tabloids.

• Love 13
27 minutes ago, CelticBlackCat said:

From the article:

Speaking to DailyMail.com, 66-year-old Mark claimed that rather than dessert his daughter and her siblings, he long tried to save their relationship after the family was torn apart by a bitter divorce.

Emphasis mine. You gotta love that site's high editorial standards.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

From the article:

Emphasis mine. You gotta love that site's high editorial standards.

The DM is famous for its spelling and grammatical errors.  Notwithstanding the difference between British English and American English, the articles are usually rife with glaring whoopsies that any proofreader or editor would catch.  The comments in the comments section are swift to point them out, making the comments section a fun diversion of humor/humour for your daily news/tabloid read!

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Golden Globe nominations:
Best Television Series – Drama
Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Drama: Sterling K. Brown
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Chrissy Metz

It's always the same actors who get those nominations and I'm not a fan. Sterling is obviously great, but did he really have the material to be nominated this season? Tbh I can't remember a particular s2 episode or scene where Randall really stuck out, even though I really enjoyed his centric episode. But maybe that's just me.

Chrissy, I guess, really got to shine in her centric, even though that episode didn't do much for me personally.

For me it's actually Mandy's and Justin's season. Those are the two that really moved me several times in s2 and I'm not just talking about the Kevin centric episode in Justin's case. IMO he's doing a very nuanced work all around and I'm absolutely invested in Kevin's storyline. As for Mandy, I'm really glad they don't write her in an "antagonistic" way anymore just to make Jack shine. IIRC Mandy was actually nominated for a Golden Globe last year, but I think this year she'd have deserved it more.

• Love 6

I am also disappointed that Justin and Mandy got shafted for noms. This season has improved both of their characters by a lot, and both delivered. I do get Sterling's nomination, because he is an excellent actor, but I'm disappointed by Chrissy's nomination. Mostly because she hasn't been given the material this season, not even during her centric episode, that I would call nom worthy. 

Justin, on the other hand, knocked his episode out of the park. I hoped that he would be nominated because he really deserves it for his arc so far. Whether or not his character is likeable is a different story, but the acting has been superb. Mandy also has done an excellent job this season that should have earned her the nom over Chrissy. 

Plus, now, Justin is the only main (adult) actor that hasn't been nominated for the show (not including ensemble nominations). Hell, even Gerard McRaney got nominated for a guest acting role. It's a real shame too, because this season has proven that he deserves a nomination for his work here. 

Edited by Lady Calypso
to specify adult actor from the kid actors
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Plus, now, Justin is the only main (adult) actor that hasn't been nominated for the show (not including ensemble nominations). Hell, even Gerard McRaney got nominated for a guest acting role. It's a real shame too, because this season has proven that he deserves a nomination for his work here. 

Agreed, some of the nominations are really baffling. If I'm not mistaken even the guy who played Jesse got nominated last year. Seriously, what the hell??

Yeah, I think Justin was already the one adult main character without a nomination before today. Sterling, Milo and Chrissy had their Emmy noms and Mandy (and Chrissy) had the Golden Globe nomination. It really isn't fair. Everybody gets the recognition except for Justin.

Compared to all the other shows/performances that have been nominated, I think the three noms This Is Us did get are undeserved (yes, even Sterling), so I don't think Mandy and Justin were entitled to nominations. And in what universe is Chrissy's acting in the same league as Laura Dern's or Ann Dowd's? This show is amateur hour compared to The Handmaid's Tale or The Crown.

• Love 7
On 12/6/2017 at 2:54 PM, nexxie said:

Just found (On Demand) the after show discussions between cast members - really interesting subjects, and also nice to get a glimpse of the actors’ real personalities and their relationships with one another.

I would like to see those.  On demand usually means TV shows in my mind.  How do I find these? 

Mandy and Milo put their names in for lead actor/actress, that might have been what didn’t get them a GG. 

As for Justin.. yeah, I feel like this is his year too. But I also have to think about what episodes are being put in as the choice? I hope they put in the Kevin episode as the one but I don’t know.

6 hours ago, GSMHvisitor said:

It's always the same actors who get those nominations and I'm not a fan. Sterling is obviously great, but did he really have the material to be nominated this season? Tbh I can't remember a particular s2 episode or scene where Randall really stuck out, even though I really enjoyed his centric episode. But maybe that's just me.

Chrissy, I guess, really got to shine in her centric, even though that episode didn't do much for me personally.

For me it's actually Mandy's and Justin's season. Those are the two that really moved me several times in s2 and I'm not just talking about the Kevin centric episode in Justin's case. IMO he's doing a very nuanced work all around and I'm absolutely invested in Kevin's storyline. As for Mandy, I'm really glad they don't write her in an "antagonistic" way anymore just to make Jack shine. IIRC Mandy was actually nominated for a Golden Globe last year, but I think this year she'd have deserved it more.

I may be completely incorrect here, so correct me if I am, but isn't the Golden Globes' nominations done on a calendar year, rather than a season (starting in September, usually)? I ask, because if that's the case, then SKB probably submitted William's death episode, from last season/March, in which he was really, exceptionally good. Just a thought. 

Totally agree that Justin has stepped up this year. Last year, he could've been written out & I wouldn't have cared, but this season, I really want to see him beat his addiction, get Sophie back, & find that damn necklace!

28 minutes ago, nkotb said:

I may be completely incorrect here, so correct me if I am, but isn't the Golden Globes' nominations done on a calendar year, rather than a season (starting in September, usually)? I ask, because if that's the case, then SKB probably submitted William's death episode, from last season/March, in which he was really, exceptionally good. Just a thought.

No, I believe it's the entire year of 2017. I say this because recent films that have just come out are nominated (Lady Bird, for example) as well as TV shows (The Good Doctor, Marvelous Mrs Maisel which literally just came out about two weeks ago, Will & Grace). 

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

No, I believe it's the entire year of 2017. I say this because recent films that have just come out are nominated (Lady Bird, for example) as well as TV shows (The Good Doctor, Marvelous Mrs Maisel which literally just came out about two weeks ago, Will & Grace). 

It is calendar year January 1 to December 31st, so Sterling could have submitted Memphis.

6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It is calendar year January 1 to December 31st, so Sterling could have submitted Memphis.

Right! I totally misread the post I was answering to, for some reason. So yeah, calendar year! He probably did submit Memphis.

Looking at the rules list, I don't see any mention of submissions (unlike the Emmys). Movies have to arrange and announce a screening place and time -- which can be a regular showing, if HPVA voters are invited -- but television entries simply need be "made available, preferably at their time of broadcast" to Hollywood Foreign Press Association members. Voters submitting nominations are simply asked to state that they have seen the movie, show or performances which they are nominating, choose five in each category, rank them from 1 - 5, and submit the form before last Thursday.

I'm amused by the rule that states, "During the period from the announcement of the nominations until the final Golden Globe ballots are submitted, HFPA members should not be invited to and must not attend events (including parties, receptions, lunches and dinners and similar events) at which Golden Globe award nominees are present." 

That stretch runs from now right through the New Year: January 3rd, with the awards coming four days later. Sorry, NBC marketing department: you can re-think the "International Village" holiday party theme... 

5 minutes ago, Pallas said:

es, "During the period from the announcement of the nominations until the final Golden Globe ballots are submitted, HFPA members should not be invited to and must not attend events (including parties, receptions, lunches and dinners and similar events) at which Golden Globe award nominees are present." 

This is actually a brand new rule this year.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, GSMHvisitor said:

Well, keep in mind that the Golden Globes cover 1/1-12/31, so instead of TIU being considered for season 2, it is being considered for the last half of season 1 and the first half of season 2, and Sterling did have some good material at the end of the last season.  

Still, I'll admit that I rolled my eyes when I saw this show's nominations.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:10 PM, Wings said:

I would like to see those.  On demand usually means TV shows in my mind.  How do I find these? 

On my OnDemand service (Comcast), things like the aftershow are often put under a show's season lists in a separate "Extras" list that you have to scroll down to find.

• Love 1
On 12/11/2017 at 1:27 PM, chocolatine said:

Compared to all the other shows/performances that have been nominated, I think the three noms This Is Us did get are undeserved (yes, even Sterling), so I don't think Mandy and Justin were entitled to nominations. And in what universe is Chrissy's acting in the same league as Laura Dern's or Ann Dowd's? This show is amateur hour compared to The Handmaid's Tale or The Crown.

100%

I can't even sort of understand the Chrissy Metz nominations.

• Love 15

One Golden Globe award! How is it possible that it's 2018 and he is the first African-American actor to win a Golden Globe for lead actor in a television drama series?!

Best performance by an actor in a television series, drama: Sterling K. Brown

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

One Golden Globe award! How is it possible that it's 2018 and he is the first African-American actor to win a Golden Globe for lead actor in a television drama series?!

Well, there are reasons that I can think of...He was lovely, got to thank his wife this time and gave a great speech. He's a wonderful actor. 

There's a great Instagram of him getting a kiss from his wife and his tv wife. The captions says "The wives". The look on his face is just adorable.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I don't think the question meant to imply he didn't deserve the award. It was more a comment on it being ridiculous that he's the first African American actor to win.

Think about it. How many dramas have you seen over the years that were critically well-received and had a black man that could submit as lead? African-Americans tend to have more sitcoms as opposed to dramas.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Think about it. How many dramas have you seen over the years that were critically well-received and had a black man that could submit as lead?

Hence Sterling's speech about how thankful he was to Dan Fogelman for creating a leading drama role that could only be played by a black man. 

4 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

African-Americans tend to have more sitcoms as opposed to dramas.

Not to get off-topic, but that's exactly the problem. There should be representation of all races in all genres.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't think the question meant to imply he didn't deserve the award. It was more a comment on it being ridiculous that he's the first African American actor to win.

Oh, I know.  In my response, I was trying to be delicate :-)

The reason it took 75 years is a word that starts with R and ends in -ISM.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Gerald McRaney was a clue on Jeopardy tonight noting he'd been in this show and that show but he was nominated for an Emmy for his guest role as an OB/GYN on this TV Drama.   AND NOBODY GOT IT!  They didn't even buzz in.  

Amateurs. ;)

• Love 2

I have seen all of those shows expect Handmaid's Tale or Games of Thrones, and I don't know why it winning results in minds being boggled. I will take anyone in TIU over MATT Smith's whiny performance or Wynona's melodramatic acting. 

4 hours ago, memememe76 said:

I have seen all of those shows expect Handmaid's Tale or Games of Thrones, and I don't know why it winning results in minds being boggled. I will take anyone in TIU over MATT Smith's whiny performance or Wynona's melodramatic acting. 

Agreed. I haven't seen all of these shows, but I'd take the TIU cast over the other ones I've seen. I love Stranger Things, but they had this win last year and I think the TIU cast can absolutely hold their own against this cast. The Handmaid's Tale is a great show, but I don't really see it as a real ensemble show, it's more Elisabeth Moss' show. I think the same goes for The Crown being Claire Foy's show.

This Is Us is a true ensemble show where all the main characters get their own individual stories and developments and I for one am happy they're getting the recognition as a team. It's very well deserved.

9 hours ago, memememe76 said:

I think Wynona was pitch perfect in her role, the rest of the adults were good and the kids were smashing.  The kids in TIU are very good, Sterling is very, very, good so it's just personal preference, as always.  Network t.v. has been tanking in the critical sphere vs. cable and streaming, so this is pretty surprising. 

The fact it IS network TV probably helped it.  Those never win shit anymore, especially for dramas, it seems like.  So I think the bar could be lower for them.  

On the whole I feel like most awards shows are more a popularity contest than about true acting, writing, whatever.  All of those shows were heavily buzzed about.  

42 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

The fact it IS network TV probably helped it.  Those never win shit anymore, especially for dramas, it seems like.  So I think the bar could be lower for them.  

On the whole I feel like most awards shows are more a popularity contest than about true acting, writing, whatever.  All of those shows were heavily buzzed about.  

That is probably true. I was a huge fan of the show Rectify, I thought it was amazing and had amazing acting, especially the lead actor, but it never won anything, never was even nominated for anything. And that might have been because it wasn't on people's radar at all. It got no buzz whatsoever.

I feel the same way about The Good Place and Speechless.  TGP is by far the most creative show on TV, and no one even notices it come awards season.  Speechless has great writing and acting and is continually ignored.  By contrast, Modern Family will continue to get nominated three years after it leaves the air.

• Love 3