Type keyword(s) to search

Hannibal in the Media

While I hope Bryan Fuller isn't throwing in the towel for his work on American Gods (two shows with limited episode seasons could work), his reaction to this was classy, and it's true we were lucky to get three seasons on broadcast.  I'm still excited Fringe got five.  I've watched so many shows I cared for fold after one that this feels like a victory.

Whoever is willing to pick it up, I'll buy a subscription for it.  The cast alone should be tempting, even before you get to the fans packaging protest offal in jars labeled with ornate handwriting.

• Love 6
(edited)

My shows almost always last three solid seasons (this one is no exception) and, then, if permitted a fourth -- implode.  So, maybe this is for the best.  I've been uninspired by this particular season (bloated "art school" filming, unexplained motives for bizarre behaviour -- frex, Will "camping" outside Chez Lecter.  That made no sense.  Neither did Chiapet's situation, for that matter.  And an underused, over-coiffed, psychobabble spouting, over-aerobisized Scully, to name but a few reasons.)

I may or may not consider spending money for another season but that doesn't mean I don't think there shouldn't be or that there isn't a good enough market for it.  I'd certainly watch it when it became free of charge after a while.

I would come for the pretty pretty.

Because, if nothing else, the show is GORGEOUS to behold.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 2

Honestly I'm surprised and grateful this show made it to three seasons on NBC. The show isn't just gory, it's genuinely dark and nihilistic and so far off the beaten path that every second that aired on network TV shocked me.

I sincerely hope someone anyone  picks it up. I will watch this show for as long as someone is producing it.

• Love 11

Fuller sounds done to me, so I don't know that there's any chance of Hannibal coming back. He's got another show going, and having gotten three seasons means that he's been able to tell his all of his purely-original story; the next three seasons would have been about the books and I wonder how inspired he really felt about doing those (especially since he had already mined stuff he liked from those books). It wouldn't have been until season seven that he would've been able to get back to making up his own stories.

The interesting thing about that speculation (that Fuller's more interested in telling his own stories about Hannibal than in doing the books) is that it's probably antithetical to what NBC and anyone else who might pick up the show would want, which is to get to the books. But Fuller doesn't have the rights for Clarice, and I have to think that was a huge factor for NBC in deciding not to renew the show, and a huge factor for anyone thinking about picking up the show, because Silence is the one thing that might attract new eyeballs. Meanwhile Fuller is in love with the Will/Hannibal story, so much so that he's spent three seasons on the backstory he's devised for them (which I think was a mistake as far as the ratings go - if this season had been about Red Dragon the ratings might've held better. But there's still the same problem afterwards of not having the rights to Clarice). Plus, having built up Will/Hannibal the way he did, he hasn't left himself room to believably shift Hannibal's obsession to Clarice. That's another reason I think Fuller might have been ambivalent about the idea of actually getting into the Clarice books, because he knows he's made Will too all-consuming for Hannibal and what's more, Fuller likes it that way. By having the show end at three seasons, he gets to end with Hannibal and Will still locked in their joint obsession (I mean, I don't know exactly how this season will end, but I think it's safe to guess that Hannibal's obsession won't be over and that whatever lip service Will might give to moving on with his life, he's still tied to Hannibal - after all, Red Dragon was next).

• Love 3

I am okay with 39 good episodes. American television lets shows go on too long. Xfiles had four good seasons and a handful of adequate eps. An American Gods will be amazing in Fuller' s hands. He might even drag Mads into it (he needs an Odin. A sexy Odin).

• Love 4

I just think the most depressing thing is that I just watched a 'news' show eagerly discuss whether some scank will screw all 12 guys before she 'falls in love with one'  all to good ratings even though the whole thing is (badly) scripted and acted. Damn leaded gasoline anyway - jerry springer nation.

• Love 4

FYI- In my area Thursday's episode of Hannibal airs at 1:07am! There's some local special on in its timeslot.

If Hannibal finds another home online I won't be following. I like the show but I don't love it enough to pay for it.

*I didn't follow The Killing, Community or The Mindy Project for the same reason.

• Love 1

Last week's rating was 0.5 for 18-49 demo. An Elementary rerun scored 0.3 points more. I knew the handwriting was on the wall with that. I feel we are very lucky to have three seasons and for NBC to agree to air the rest of the episodes this summer. Amazon has indicated interest and I'm sure both Hulu and Netflix are eying it, too. Don't cry Fannibals, it will be back!

This is the only show I own on Blu-Ray and I'll buy the 3rd bloody season, too. Here's my spleen!

• Love 5

I think I'm at peace with this. Seems like they're coming to an organic conclusion and Fuller and Co. have already mined the books, so I'd rather it go out on top before I get tired of it. That being said, if it gets picked up somewhere else, I'll watch it!

• Love 4

I was always concerned how they were going to do the planned 7 seasons when by season 3 they'd already done pretty much all the good scenes from the books, and the books were supposed to take place in seasons 4-6, so it could be good if they end it. But if someone else picks it up, I'll sure watch it. I hope it's Netflix. I have an account with them and I've been overall impressed with their original series.

And I am totally buying season 3.

Hopefully they learned early enough that they can give the third season some of closure (that doesn't necessarily mean all loose ends must be tied up). Since Fuller is working on a new show for Starz would he be available if the show was picked up be another content provider? That is key... I couldn't imagine the show retaining it's unique visual voice without him.

• Love 1
(edited)

Not surprising on the cancellation but I'm so disappointed it wasn't the type of show to have a strong following on NBC. I don't watch any TV shows so if it doesn't get picked up somewhere I'll be really disappointed. I'm so not ready for it to end!

I'd rather see it on AMC, HBO or Showtime then online but whatever saves it at this point's okay with me.

Edited by kmm49

We'd still have to pay via regular Amazon Instant Video. That's more than enough for me, money wise.

You don't order from Amazon? Because if you place three "prime" orders the shipping you save covers the cost of that alone, plus they have a LOT of content beyond just Hannibal I prefer their streaming content catalog a 1000 times to the shit stack that is Netflix streaming tv/movies. 

Fuller sounds done to me

I guess that's why he's using #SAVEHANNIBAL all over Twitter, and asking Fannibals to show their collective power/committment to the show?

• Love 3
(edited)

I think he sounded done because he was thanking NBC for letting them try it, plus he does have another show coming out. That gave me the impression he was giving up until I read about his tweets.

Edited by Crossbow
  • Love 1

I just think the most depressing thing is that I just watched a 'news' show eagerly discuss whether some scank will screw all 12 guys before she 'falls in love with one' all to good ratings even though the whole thing is (badly) scripted and acted. Damn leaded gasoline anyway - jerry springer nation.

What I find even more depressing is only discovering there is no sexual chemistry AFTER signing on the dotted line. Wishing the "skank" lots of fun and pleasure and a minimum of slut shaming. Having said that, I've never watched that show our anything similar. I just think, from a sex positive standpoint, she should be able to do whatever makes her happy. Even if it makes the scolds cringe or name call.

• Love 3

I don't think Fuller has sounded "done" at all. He's talked about approaching Season 3 as the last, but then - from what I recall - in the next breath he said that's his approach each season, and given his series' histories, that philosophy makes sense.

On the contrary, he has discussed plans and possibilities and seemed to me to be raring to go if the series could continue.

• Love 1

I'll follow the show wherever it goes, I love it so much.

If it does end after 3 seasons, that's fine.  The only disappointment I'd have is not seeing on screen where Will and Hannibal ultimately end up in Fuller's version.

• Love 2

Personally, I think this show is too good and too different for broadcast TV.  Put it on Hulu Plus or Netflix or Amazon Prime.  Broadcast TV is too much about reality TV stuff these days (so is some pay cable but at least there's some good things on cable.)

I'm so sad but not surprised at all. This show belongs on cable TV ... it's way too smart for network. I'm shocked, but thrilled we got 3 seasons.

I'm crossing my fingers that it gets picked up very quickly. I'd rather it be on AMC, HBO or another "free" (LOL! My Xfinity bill is over $300 a month ... far from free!) place. But I plan to buy seasons 1-3 on DVD and I'll buy any other seasons that are available.

I seriously love this show.

• Love 4

I'm pretty optimistic it'll get picked up elsewhere. And I was so impressed by the first two seasons that it's already one of my favorite shows of all-time, so if it ends then I'm already satisfied.

It makes it a lot easier that Fuller is already working on another show that's bound to be awesome, too.

My local news affiliate just announced Hannibal's cancellation, but I see you guys already had heard. Hoping the last episode is a good one, a happy ending for Will. Maybe he'll get to be a boat-motor repair guy and live on the beach with his dogs after all ...

(edited)

Amazon is said to have passed on it... But then it is simply a reply to a fan inquiry, so may not mean much..

Wow. Bummer. Talk about back-pedaling! Amazon said (and I wish I could find the article I read a while back) they would pick up Hannibal if it was cancelled by NBC and welcome it with open arms. What a difference a season makes? Well, I'd rather see it on Netflix, but they don't have the streaming rights -- for now. That exclusive contract is up in 2017.

Edited by Ms Lark
(edited)

I think actors like three seasons too. It must get old playing the same beats. I feel like Fuller had enough time to tell his version. Plus I have waited a decade to see American Gods. You all are going to love it I think. I hope.

Edited by jeansheridan
(edited)

According to Sepinwall, Fuller thinks they have a 50/50 chance:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/hannibal-producer-maybe-a-5050-chance-of-surviving-cancellation

Plus the Save Hannibal Petition seems to be gathering steam. Check out all the international signatures! Now if we can only get the Korean fans** to sign...

ETA: **this link goes to a Korean promo video for season 2 on youtube scored to K-pop. Avoid if you don't like K-pop.

Edited by LazyNeko
  • Love 1

Fuller said Netflix is out --Amazon has the streaming rights so it would not make any sense for Netflix to pick it up unless Amazon was willing to sell them.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/hannibal-season-4-netflix-amazon-1201527355/

I suspect it has to go to some entity with a broadcast component--NBC was able to stream it on HULU and their own site, and it was allowed, so maybe one of the other networks or cable channels might be an option.

(edited)

If Hannibal finds another home online I won't be following. I like the show but I don't love it enough to pay for it.

*I didn't follow The Killing, Community or The Mindy Project for the same reason.

FYI - just because a show is online doesn't mean you have to pay for it. Community's sixth season was available for free on Yahoo Screen, and the articles I saw about The Mindy Project said that it will air on Hulu (not Hulu Plus which is the one you have to pay for). Even The Mindy Project ends up being on Hulu Plus, you can always pay $8 for one month and binge watch the whole season which is cheaper than buying it on DVD.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

FYI - just because a show is online doesn't mean you have to pay for it. Community's sixth season was available for free on Yahoo Screen, and the articles I saw about The Mindy Project said that it will air on Hulu (not Hulu Plus which is the one you have to pay for). Even The Mindy Project ends up being on Hulu Plus, you can always pay $8 for one month and binge watch the whole season which is cheaper than buying it on DVD.

Or you can find sites where you can watch just about any series for free. ::nudge, nudge:: Just sayin'...

• Love 3

I hadn't heard about the Mindy/Hulu news but I doubt I'll make the effort to watch it anyway. I really need to love a show to seek it out online even if it's for free.

I know all about those “other” sites Littleggy. Great for movies too :)

• Love 1
(edited)

Hannibal Saturn's acceptance speeches for Best Network Show, Hugh Dancy and Laurence Fishburne. Bryan Fuller joked about the irony of receiving a Best Network show award. Aaron Abrams went up on behalf Laurence Fishburne and he was all cheeky. I'm glad they are able to joke about their cancelation.

Edited by kwerkee
  • Love 1

Deadline is reporting that the actors have been released from their contracts as the production company did not pick up their options. With Amazon not biting and BF working on the new show, doesn't look too hopeful.

(edited)

I hope you're right, but realistically, it would be unusual for another service to pick it up if they don't have the streaming rights for the other season (Amazon has those and they don't seem interested). They may also have to wait now for BF, HD, and MM since they may pick up other gigs, making scheduling difficult (LF already has a new show).  The cast will ask for too much money now that they can renegotiate their contracts. The pro's are; all involve want to continue if possible. I also feel they will have a awesome turnout at Comic con which will show interest. Plus from what I understand NBC got it for very cheap, so maybe they will give another service a break on the licensing fee.  I think we'll find out one way or the other at SDCC. So 2 more weeks!

Edited by arcadia63