Type keyword(s) to search

Hannibal in the Media

The ending was perfect.  if Season 4 never happens, I can either believe they both went to their deaths wrapped in each other's arms, or I can believe one or both survived and are carrying on somewhere, somehow. I worry a bit about a season 4, if it happens. Worry that fans will be disappointed, expecting it to be a grand, actual romance, and that won't happen. Or that it will, and seem like fan service, even if we want it. Worry about turning Will into a full fledged people killer/eater, as some fanfic goes for, which I would hate. Worry about going there with the Silence of the Lambs, cuz that would find Hannibal back in prison (where he definitely belongs, but I dont' want him there), away from Will, finding a new object of fascination in Clarice (who, basically, Will was a stand in for in Fuller's vision). But I also have utmost faith in Bryan Fuller, and I will watch Mads do ANYTHING, and just want him back on my screen, so...mixed emotions, but I'd so be there.

• Love 3

Yeah I loved the ending because you can interpret it however you want, even with the Bedelia scene which many did not like. They could have survived and are having a dinner party or it could just be a nightmare she's having. Either way, them going over the cliff together was powerful which is what makes me hesitant to want another season even though I'd love to see Hannibal and Will on my screen again. 

On 11/26/2017 at 7:48 AM, Wicked said:

Really enjoyed it!

Thank you so much for checking it out -- it absolutely made my day.

On 11/26/2017 at 3:07 PM, festivus said:

That was lovely @paramitch. I've always enjoyed reading your posts here at PTV. On my second re-watch I realized that Hannibal was smelling Will and realizing  that he was sick. It made the moment even better for me knowing about it this time.

Thanks so much for reading it, and for the compliment! (And back at you!)

Yeah, I love that there are two ways to view that scene -- that, of course, he's doing so as a doctor who's realizing Will is sick. And... <sheepish> I also do think there's something a little, er, hot about it. Like, he just wanted to sniff Will.

Ahem. Yeah.

Current events are against gay producer/showrunners, and the similarity between "Bryan Fuller" and "Bryan Singer" doesn't  help. (Yes, Hollywood is that simplistic and reactionary.)

As to the desirability, I'm not sure I want to watch Will grow into his murder husband. Why else would Will try to commit murder/suicide, instead of just murder, except he knew where his bliss at the murder of Dolarhyde would lead?

As noted above, Will is Clarice Starling, and in the novel Clarice goes off with Hannibal. Further, the Will Graham of the series is tormented by his lack of a strong identity (no matter how much he says he knows who he is,) due to his "empathy disorder." (This is not a thing, but the script says so, so what are you going to do? Either work with it, or quit.) In addition, there is the sometimes overlooked fact that Will is picking up his desire to kill not just from his empathy with Hannibal, but his empathy with Jack. Yeah, sure, righteous killing in Jack's case, but feeling good about killing bad people is still feeling good about killing. Both Jack and Hannibal have been warping Will to murder. I would think Will not calling Jack out on it openly just makes his influence even stronger. But it's one reason why Will is tempted to kill, first, Mason Verger (by baiting him into a confrontation with Hannibal.) And you can see Will baiting Jack into a confrontation with Hannibal too. It is too often forgotten that Will had the goods on Hannibal in the attack on Verger. Like Mr. Robot, he needed only to confess to take out the villain! And last, but perhaps the most powerful prophecy of the end, was the supernaturally gifted Elliott Buddish seeing the evil in Will. We the audience know what Buddish's mystical visions of demonic people looked like, not Will, so that was for us, the audience, to see. 

David Tennant told Entertainment Weekly he had discussed playing Hannibal:

“I met [Hannibal executive producer] Bryan Fuller a couple of times, and we talked about it,” says Tennant. “But I think they quite wisely chose Mads Mikkelsen, I think he was a perfect choice for it, and I think he did things with that character that I wouldn’t have managed, so I think the right man got the job.”

• Love 3

I stopped watching tv when they cancelled Hannibal. I do watch Netflix and some things on You Tube, but it really just didn’t appeal any more. Reading Paramitch’s article made me want to rewatch the series again. 

• Love 2

While I miss the show, I'm also happy it ended. I really feel that shows go on too long. I'm happy to read fanfiction and talk about the series. But I'm really happy to see Mads getting more mainstream roles (Star Wars & Dr. Strange). I'm still a bit bummed he wasn't cast in American Gods, but can't have everything. He'd be great in Good Omens as Famine. 

Have there been any retrospectives on the awesome costuming of the show? His suits! And the ladies with their outfits (Will's clothing is best ignored).

On 11/26/2017 at 6:13 AM, paramitch said:

The Heart is a Lonely Manhunter (Rewatching Hannibal Season 1)
https://www.thefandomentals.com/rewatching-hannibal-season-1/

This was really good! I'm probably a bit more fond of season 2 because Will is healthy in it (well, as healthy as he ever gets). But I do absolutely love their first scene together at the motel when Mads just drinks him in. And I agree that he does play Hannibal in a very open way. He may smirk a bit, but nothing excessive. Most of all, Mads is just very, very strange and if you haven't seen him in anything else, you might think he's just another Christopher Walken who is innately weird on screen. But he can play "normal". Warm, smiling. But as Hannibal he is so utterly alien and other worldly. I honestly can't watch the films anymore because this is my Hannibal.

• Love 2

This isn't exactly media in the usual sense, but I wanted to tell you guys that this book exists. It's called Aestheticism, Evil, Homosexuality, and Hannibal: If Oscar Wilde Ate People by Geoff Klock. It's a scholarly tome applying Oscar Wilde's quote that "There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. That is all." to Bryan Fuller's tv series Hannibal. The book goes into great detail about Fuller's fanfic presentation of the Hannibal stories as beautiful evil / evil beauty (the aestheticism and evil), and then also about the homo-eroticism of the series (homosexuality and Hannibal). Although it's a dense academic read, I really enjoyed it. (reposting this from a Books thread because here someone might be interested)

• Love 2