Type keyword(s) to search

Hannibal in the Media

That was a WONDERFUL fashion spread. /no sarcasm, I mean it.  That was great fun.

I loved the fact that the HORNS were not forgotten.  As, one so often forgets to mention the horns accessorizing in fashion.  Such a shame and a great oversight, imo.  /affectionate sarcasm

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 3

I forgot to post this earlier - a video editor spliced together clips from Manhunter, Red Dragon and the TV show to compare how the three attacked the same encounter. It's not lighthearted like the EW piece, but it's fairly interesting to see just how emotionally entangled Fuller's take is compared to the other two:

• Love 5

Holy Shit.

I love that.  

Thanks, halopub.

ETA:  I went to Vimeo and thanked the editor, Michael Morettini in the comments section, too.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1

Hugh Dancy discusses the finale with Entertainment Weekly.

I love Dancy for getting why we like the show.  Fuller struck gold with him in finding an actor who just got his vision.  Same with Mads (despite language barriers!).  Dancy doesn't shy away from the "relationship" aspect of the show.  And he didn't need to be a hero, exactly (although he does argue Will has a moment of redemption by shoving Hannibal over the edge).  "Suicide is the enemy," Hannibal said moments before.  But I love that Dancy seems to get why we like the show. Sometimes actors don't seem to get it or they don't want to get typecast or they resist how fans enjoy the show.  I so look forward to his next project now I know how smart he is.  Thank you Fuller for rescuing from Rom-Com hell.  I love a good rom-com but he wasn't getting good ones. 

• Love 5

I love Hugh, and I love Bryan for letting Hugh and Mads give input into the story and not having a problem using their suggestions. They make a great team together and I hope to see them in more joint-projects.

Also Hugh is an adorable little troll, who in interviews would say things like how the finale will make a "big splash" and how it can be seen as a "jumpin off point" for a new season. He is hilarious.

Some more interviews:

http://www.vulture.com/2015/08/bryan-fuller-hannibal-finale-campy-sensual.html?mid=googlenews

http://tvline.com/2015/08/29/hannibal-series-finale-will-lecter-cliff-bryan-fuller-interview-season-4/

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/hannibal-finale-season-4-movie-revival-ending-spoilers-1201581424/

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/hannibal-creator-i-wanted-to-be-sure-we-had-an-ending-for-the-story/1

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hannibal-series-finale-spoilers-bryan-817966

• Love 7

I did notice they ignored his infamous flap hat!  Possibly the worst crime against Mads in like ever.  ;^).  Whereas Hugh pulls off a beanie like nobody's business.  His eyes!  I know we don't know their lives, but I really want Hugh and Claire Danes to have lots of children and pass on those genes for the greater good of humanity.

• Love 1

I love Hugh, and I love Bryan for letting Hugh and Mads give input into the story and not having a problem using their suggestions. They make a great team together and I hope to see them in more joint-projects.

I just want to see Mads, Hugh, and Bryan work together on everything for the rest of their lives!  Such a fantastic combo.

• Love 2

Also Hugh is an adorable little troll, who in interviews would say things like how the finale will make a "big splash" and how it can be seen as a "jumpin off point" for a new season. He is hilarious.

Haha! That is funny. :) 

• Love 3

I love that no one gives two shits that the d in Mads is silent. Key was commenting on ridiculously speaking French to a guy from Denmark, but doesn't realise he has said Mads' name incorrectly.

My Danish friend corrects me all the time. She pronounces it "Mez" or "Metz". He is probably resigned to the butchering of it in the US.

• Love 1

I just looked at the pictures in the article with all the outfits. I love Hannibal's little "Oh, really?" head tilt. I hadn't realized he did that so much. (That's a Hannibal thing, not a Mads thing.)

• Love 1

Bryan keeps talking about a passage from the "Hannibal" novel that has never been filmed that was to be the inspiration for the fourth season. I'm assuming that since Will isn't in the novel that it's something that happens with Clarice. 

Fuller: The story of the fourth season, which is a re-branding of the Will Graham/Hannibal Lector relationship, that was very exciting. I looked at it and said, "This was actually the most interesting aspect of this story." So I regret we weren't able to tell that. But who knows what e future may bring?

Fuller: There is love between these two men, and confusion between these two men. We had to articulate it, and the idea for a [potential] Season 4 was an interesting continuation of that, as well as a subversion of it at the same time. So it’s strange to look at [this week’s episode] as a finale, because part of me believes that the most interesting chapter of Will Graham’s story is yet to be told.

TVLINE | Do you envision a continuation in which Will and Hannibal somehow go on the run together, start a family of sorts?
Fuller: Something a little more unexpected.

TVLINE | Are you reluctant to say more about your vision — on the chance that you can somehow create a Season 4 or a big-screen adaptation?
Fuller: Yeah. You know, there is a plot point in the [Thomas Harris] novel Hannibal that has not been in any of the [filmed] adaptations. And so, it’s important for me to protect that and hopefully be able to tell it one day. Of course, the “Fannibals” are so smart and know the books so well that I’m sure it won’t be too big of a stretch to figure out exactly what it would be.

Can some one tell me what they think it might be.  I really don't want want to see Will and Hannibal go on a killing spree together, so if that the case, I glad it won't continue.

Edited by arcadia63
  • Love 2

I can think of several scenes but they're all background. I need to re-read it I guess. Will isn't in that book at all, of course. It would be something with Clarice if it'a about a relationship that Hannibal is in.

Edited by Crossbow

One of us here mentioned that he/she was reading the book Red Dragon in time with events in the series unintentionally.  So, it's fresh in someone's mind.  I just don't remember who.

ETA:  LOL Crossbow!

Edited by Captanne

That was me, but I'm still on Red Dragon. (I usually only read on my lunch hour.)

I just read on Hannibal Wiki that the movie Hannibal didn't have the brainwashing, which I thought it did. But I can't see Hannibal doing that to Will now. He already drugged him through all through season 1 and I can't see him going back to that. Plus I think they covered it with Bedelia's excuse for staying with him.

Edited by Crossbow

New York Magazine continues to expand on their Hannibal coverage with an analysis of the show's storytelling:

Hannibal Redefined How We Tell Stories on Television

It's not really a casual skim and I knocked back a cup of coffee to absorb some of the finer points. I was amused when the author later tweeted out a snap of his episode notes.  It's nice to know someone else still gathers their thoughts with pen scribbles.

• Love 2

That Friends video was bizarre and wonderful. And shows how much humor Mads brought. Yeah he is very subtle but when he isn't, yum.

Hannibal in South America has never been filmed. They used some of the brainwashing scenes from the book Hannibal but used them on Abigail. And there are the 7 years between Hannibal' s escape and when we meet him in Florence as Dr Fell. We know he has had plastic surgery but not much else.

• Love 1

Hannibal in South America has never been filmed. They used some of the brainwashing scenes from the book Hannibal but used them on Abigail. And there are the 7 years between Hannibal' s escape and when we meet him in Florence as Dr Fell. We know he has had plastic surgery but not much else.

Hannibal in South America wasn't really a plot, though. It was just a snapshot. Plus I thnk the scenes with him and Bedelia being socialites in Europe covered it.

Yeah, we know nothing about the 7 years between SotL and Hannibal. But they covered just about everything from Hannibal in seasons 2-3. I can't think of anything they didn't cover that would support another season.

Jack still has Miriam Lass somewhere. And the Verger billions. Not for his use but Alana may wish to locate Hannibal too. I would watch another manhunt, especially if it was more like a real investigation. The fact that Hannibal namechecked Miriam was interesting. She wasn't brilliant but determined. Thorough and methodical wins the day. I am obviously not a writer but I can see ways to go and I would watch. Hugh Dancy used the word "fun". Maybe he would get a wardrobe change.

Is it wrong that I love the idea of Hannibal picking out a natty silk suit wardrobe for Will? I bet Dancy would look great dressed to the nines in red and black.

There is so much fan fic with that exact premise.

While I enjoyed that deep article from New York Magazine, I question one of the author's gushing moments -- he calls the flashbacks to Dolarhyde's burning of his own house shown after his own murder has taken place (by Will and Hannibal in what I call " the bullfight scene") as "daring".

I have just read an article in which the editor of the scene reported that he had to use those bits (of flashback) because they were out of time and footage of Armitage's face.  They didn't have time to film the fight scene in such a way as to get a good image of him and the actor had already scarpered off to his next gig so they couldn't get any more.  The editor used the old footage from the house burning (with Reba in the house) in order to place Armitage's face into the battle.

So, the editor wasn't being "daring" as much as being "desperate" and using what he had to hand.

LOL

Edited by Captanne

My Danish friend corrects me all the time. She pronounces it "Mez" or "Metz". He is probably resigned to the butchering of it in the US.

He is - I saw an interview with him during the Bond mayhem and he basically said he thinks it's kinda cool. Seems like a very gracious gentlemen, certainly.

Now that we're in a (perpetual?) holding pattern for Season 4, does anyone have any fic recs? I won't judge. It's just so hard to wade through the masses...

• Love 1

Misterglass, I am fascinated by the struggle between good and evil, represented in religion.  If you haven't already seen it, I highly recommend Sir Ridley Scott's "Bladerunner."  It's an older film but has aged perfectly well.  Because it's older it has stars in it you would recognize now but not necessarily then -- Harrison Ford, Daryl Hannah, Rutger Hauer*, Edward J. Olmos, M. Emmet Walsh, Sean Young, William Sanderson.....

Its fundamental question is "How do you reconcile sentient life and death when you discover your God and Creator is fatally flawed?"

*Rutger Hauer is quite similar, in his day, to Mads Mikkelsen.  Certainly in looks and poise.  Fuller made a tribute to him in the Hannibal finale when he filmed the exterior shots to resemble a Hauer film that was wonderful called "The Hitcher."

• Love 4

I'd like to see book and movie recs from the smart, witty, and mildly twisted people on this board.

I can recommend pretty much everything Mads Mikkelsen has done, because among his many superpowers is the power of choosing really good scripts. Well, "Valhalla Rising" is pretty aimless, but it's beautiful.

And while you're browsing Danish videos, the TV series "The Kingdom" is about as twisted as you could ask for.

Now that we're in a (perpetual?) holding pattern for Season 4, does anyone have any fic recs? I won't judge. It's just so hard to wade through the masses...

Darn, you know, I did read one that fit in with the show so well that it totally helped my jonsing for it during the last hiatus, but I can't remember the title of it now. On AO3 I usually delete my bookmarks after finishing a story, otherwise they pile up. I'll see if I can find it but it was at least a year ago...

I can recommend pretty much everything Mads Mikkelsen has done, because among his many superpowers is the power of choosing really good scripts. Well, "Valhalla Rising" is pretty aimless, but it's beautiful.

That superpower deserted him when the script for the Clash of the Titans remake arrived. I saw part of it on cable over the weekend and you could see "What the hell am I doing in this movie?" look on Mads' face in every scene. I assume either they lured him in with Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes while neglecting to mention all his scenes would be with a block of wood, or a big mortgage payment was due.

Misterglass, I am fascinated by the struggle between good and evil, represented in religion.  If you haven't already seen it, I highly recommend Sir Ridley Scott's "Bladerunner."

"All these moments will be lost.  Like...tears, in the rain.  Time to die."  Oh yes, I second your recommendation!  I prefer the Final Cut.  You're right, there are similarities between Rutger and Mads.  I started reading "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" but found I was too tied to the film to enjoy the book.

I've heard nice things about "Valhalla Rising," though I have not seen it.  I watched ten minutes of the "Clash of the Titans" remake and turned it off.

A book idea for those interested in long form poems about modern werewolves: "Sharp Teeth."  And because this series makes me think of Guillermo del Toro, the movies "Cronos" and "Pan's Labyrinth."

I prefer the original cut, myself.  I don't like the idea

of Decker as a replicant.

I steeped myself in traditional 50s, 60s, and 70s science fiction when I was growing up.  (Original Trekkie, here!)  But, mainly Harlan Ellision, Philip K. Dick, Theodore Sturgeon, Stanislaw Lem, Clarke, Asimov, Bradbury, Butler, Tiptree, Jr.,  ... you know the drill.

I loved Bladerunner and also tried Androids (DADoES?), and agree -- Scott's vision with Vangelis' soundtrack made for one of the finest films ever made about the human condition and the struggle to understand good/evil life/death.  Even the root story couldn't live up to it.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1

I read all of those too, CAPTANNE I remember loving the movie The Illustrated Man, when I was young. There was a TV series of Ray Bradbury. I recently bought all his books, some Harlan Ellison, Walter Zelazny and, Riverworld, to read again. I have not seen the TV production of Riverworld. Is it any good?

I also retread all of Andre Norton, and a new book called Linesman, which sounds like a hockey memoir but isn't .

I think everyone should see The Hitcher...but not the remake. Loved it. I also loved Rutger Hauer in that movie where he was kind of a blind ninja...may have been a terrible movie, but I loved him in it

I don't know if anyone has enjoyed The Escapist.

• Love 2

Clash of the Titans: If they had cast a real actor as the hero, I would have been all over that.

Valhalla Rising: The plot is that a bunch of vikings wander around lost until they all die.

Bladerunner: I saw the movie but the book stayed witn me more. I love Philip K. Dick but I often feel like I've missed the point. I find him haunting.

Dune: One of the best books EVER.

• Love 1

I have read (and seen) Dune, and 1 or 2 more Dune books.

I know someone recommended Ringworld to me, but when I got to the library I couldn't remember if it was Ringworld or Discworld that I was supposed to read and I picked up Terry Pratchett's. I don't regret that error, but I will check out Ringworld

I prefer the original cut, myself. 

I don't like the idea of Decker as a replicant.

I don't care for that suggestion either.  However, I think the film is more lyric and affecting without the voiceover, and I like the tone of the more sudden ending.

Dune is a masterwork.

I tried Ringworld but it did not capture me.  I've liked and disliked books from Discworld.

Ray Bradbury was by far my favorite author when I was younger.  Such atmospheric work.

• Love 1

Yeah, I love the voiceover because, for me, it added to the film noire feel.  Also, Deckerd saying, "He called them skin jobs the way an old cop would call someone a n*****" was a wonderful, jarring comment and said SO much about his boss and their adversarial relationship and why. 

But, I know that the Director's cut is the one that has saturated the market.  It's nearly impossible to find the original.

Edited by Captanne

If you like noir, you might check out Cornell Woolrich. I believe he is the originator, at least one of them, of that genre. The Bride Wore Black is one of the best known.

I really loved the movie Night of the Hunter, the original with Robert Mitchum and Shelley Winters. The book was a good read as well.

• Love 1

Of Bradbury's, I read one short story (Dark they Were, and Golden-Eyed) and one novel (Something Wicked This Way Comes) and they didn't grab me.

Pratchett bugs me. I know I'm completely alone in that. I find his style to cute. Oddly, I don't mind when Neil Gaimen's style gets cute.

Pratchett came after my time obsessing about science fiction -- I still love it but as I grew older I grew more particular.  Pratchett was just never on my radar.

For an obscure set of books that I think are brilliant and unappreciated -- read Stephen R. Donaldson's "The Gap" series.  Yes, he wrote the Covenant Chronicles which I didn't like much.  But The Gap series is unbelievable.  

Not one soul I've ever met has read it.  

Hard core science fiction (rockets and laser beams), hard core events (murder, mayhem, rape, drug addiction, enslavement, etc., true love, Mother/son bond, best friends, betrayal -- all the usual suspects that someone who liked Hannibal would like, LOL.)

Based on Wagner's Ring Cycle so it is so complicated and long (4 long novels and an opening short book) you need to take notes.

Edited by Captanne