Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: HERstory Of The World

• Start Topic

Well, that was predictable.  I think it's been fairly obvious (from the beginning) that it will be an Alaska/Katya finale.

And, seriously, could Ru have lobbed PhiPhi an easier softball?  No choreography and her only line was "I'm Helen of Troy"?  What a joke.

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 2

That one left me pretty irritated. 

They give Katya Princess Di and then blame her for the fact that it's "somber"?

Detox sprays herself silver, puts on the tired-ass ace-bandage dress from the Fifth Element, and duct-tapes her head messily--and she's in the top two? When she was standing there after the lip sync, I just couldn't believe how terrible she looked. 

As for the main challenge, I was already tired of her jaw gimmick in S5, and we've seen much better Marie Antoinette looks. That banana yellow thing is killing me. 

Guys, I know the whole thing is rigged but I hate it when they don't do a better job of covering up the seams. If you've already decided Detox is going to be in the "top", have someone help her with the duct tape at least. 

• Love 10

That whole sob story didn't work on me at all; I still think Phi Phi is shady as hell, at least on the show. I'm so not a fan.

I'm a huge fan of Alyssa's, though. I liked her fine on Season 5, but "Alyssa's Secret" made me adore her. Like the judges, I couldn't take my eyes of her during the group performance. I love Detox too, so I didn't care who won the lip sync, but I agree with Alyssa's decision to keep Katya. And I had a laugh when Ginger said she thought Alyssa sent her home because she was such great competition. I think Katya is a much bigger threat to win, and I think Alyssa believes that too.

• Love 10

I was just reminded how Detox elicits nothing from me performance wise. Return to Oz with you.

Princess Di? Really? Margaret Thatcher would have worked better. Katya could have stolen milk from the other Queens.

That redemption edit is really working out for Phi Phi. Heh.

• Love 3

I was irritated with this one too. It makes me wish the queens had made a "pact" to vote based off of who was the weakest, yes (as opposed to strategy), but not according to critique. That feels like a 'stay on the good side of Reddit/Twitter' move that is destined to fail, because you can't keep the mob happy anyway, and sets up bullshit drama like what's headed Alyssa's way next week. Yes, her critique was rougher. It was also partially bullshit, as was Ginger's, so I see no issue in factoring in performance in the competition so far as well as other intangibles. They were presented with the wrong bottom two, and I don't think anyone should feel duty-bound to axe the 'somber' one.

The challenge itself wasn't designed fairly, and for my money the actual bottom two was Roxxxy/Alaska and Katya. Katya's runway look was bad, while I think her performance was middle of the pack. Alaska's performance was actually pretty....bad? I mean, none of them are bad, but I think she was as forgettable as PhiPhi, and she had more to work with. Roxxxy too I wasn't feeling that much, and her look was just as basic as Ginger's.

Ginger was screwed by the judges, imo. Runway look was good for a big queen -- honestly, racking my brain, I can't think of any jaw-dropping stunners served by any of the big girls that was on par with the best of the slimmer queens, though admittedly Delta's season was so long ago...I think that's a testament to it being rough out there for a queen of size. Regardless, I loved her performance, and that should have canceled out a lackluster runway look.

Alaska is continuing to kinda bum me out. I want her to win - I want most of these girls to win - but her personality has been flattened. It seems like all her interviews and workroom patter has become really pageant, but not in a fun Alyssa way, in a boring and predictable way. A drag queen that seems unwilling to be controversial or spicy is a travesty! That, combined with the massive S5 contingent and already being a favorite of Ru and Michelle, makes me kinda hope a black horse really challenges her seemingly predestined win.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

That whole sob story didn't work on me at all; I still think Phi Phi is shady as hell, at least on the show. I'm so not a fan.

Snip...

And I had a laugh when Ginger said she thought Alyssa sent her home because she was such great competition. I think Katya is a much bigger threat to win, and I think Alyssa believes that too.

This!!!! 

I like Ginger well enough, but I really feel like she showed us everything she has to show already, and I'm fine with her leaving.  And Roxxy (or however many x's she uses) can follow her out the door, because she isn't showing me anything so special, either.  Then you can boot Phi Phi's shady ass, and we'll have an amazing top 4.

Confession...I have never been a fan of Alyssa Edwards, but I'll be damned if she isn't really growing on me.  And not just because she saved Katya, either.

• Love 7

From last episode:

10 hours ago, Watermelon said:

When is Ginger going to get the "safe is the worst place to be" speech? And why did her latex look like satin?  Boo. 

When Ginger owned her "middle of the pack-ness" at the top of the show, I knew she was getting the loser edit. And Phi-Phi totally got the shady bitch edit. Ginger clocked her, and TPTB showed Phi-Phi's bitch face—literally.

• Love 1

I'm ok with the elimination in the sense that I'm more interested to see what Katya will do in future episodes than I would have been for Ginger. But I think they're not valuing the challenge as much as usual...

Really great and fun lip sync challenge, although "Bitch Perfect" will always be my all-time favorite thing. I was actually very impressed with Phi Phi's runway. There's the cosplay crazy I've been wanting to see from her! But she is a shady lady. Obviously, she shouldn't have been trolled quite so hard, despite how terrible and venomous she was on her season, but she's still doing some shady head games here. Give me Katya's straight-out "No, it's still ugly" burn to Ginger any day*. Or her insane fake smile at Phi Phi.

I don't now if I think Alyssa should've won the lip sync against Detox, but she did perform like a mutha in the group number. As did Detox! And I love Detox's runway. She is bringing it this season like she should've her first time around.

I did always like the Minj. But I would've been too distraught without Katya! Argh!

*Yes, I know it was a joke, and Ginger laughed, but that's the kind of read I like from a queen.

• Love 2

The challenge didn't seem that good to me, but I was watching with 2 people who'd never seen any Drag Race shows, so I was trying to explain everyone's backstory. I don't know if someone could enjoy All Stars without having seen any of the shows, although I think a new viewer could start with any other season of the show and enjoy it. It seemed extra lewd, too, but that might have been because my mom and brother were watching with me. They wanted to watch some of the shows I watch, since I watch their shows, which are mostly British mysteries. I don't have any real life friends who like this series. The receptionist at my chiropractor loved the show, but she left. There is a lot of turnover in that office. Maybe to me this seems a little lack luster because I do think that all of these girls are talented and likable, there are no filler queens, it being All Stars, so I don't really want any of them to go.

• Love 1

Hey Locas! I feel the need to chime in! ALYSSA MOTHER FUCKING EDWARDS!!!!!! YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!! Bitch slayed the entire episode! And I'm thrilled she sent Ginger home instead of Katya! Ginger had been middle of the road, Katya had succeeded.

On to the preview for next week.....Phi Phi stirring up the troops against Alyssa? Gee, think I saw that before. Like she tried to do to Sharon and succeeded to a point with Willam season 4. Interesting right before this episode she puts it out on social media that she is being edited to be the villain this season? Honey, if you don't give it to them, they can't show it. As it turns out you really are who you showed us to begin with. I'm incredibly disappointed. I tried to give you a chance, but I'm completely over it now. Too bad, you really had an opportunity here and the fans were open to you.

Loving this season, and loving all of you and your comments. Keep it up!

Edited by denbblbg
Missed a letter
  • Love 6

The high point of the episode for me was seeing that yummy Bryce, that steamy, smoky piece of ginger beef, is still part of Ru's Pit Crew.  

Otherwise, a fun episode up until the judge's critiques - I do agree that Katya's looks this evening were pretty lackluster, and I'm actually having a hard time picking who I would have (IF I would have, to be honest) replaced her with in the bottom two.

Honestly, I didn't like how off Alyssa's lip syncing was during the main challenge and I hated her runway look, so I was surprised she was in the top 2.  I would have put Alaska up there, personally, and between Phi Phi and Roxxxy, one had a killer lip sync and a shitty runway look, the other had a shitty lip sync and a killer runway look.  

Fuck it, I probably would have kept Katya out of the bottom 2 because I adore her, but it's throwing a dart at the wall as far as who the lower tier was.

• Love 3

Roxxy def should have been in the bottom, she was not that compelling and her lip sync was meh. But then she would have been saved again because the queens live for her outside of RPDR and can't seem to separate that from her in-show performance. Katya probably spent so much time rehearsing her lip sync that she didn't think of ways to ham it up.

How the hell does Ginger go from a critique that she should be a one-woman show on Broadway to being eliminated? It's like this show falls over itself to not give a big queen a chance no matter how great her talent is. 

Alyssa was still Alyssa, but she is inherently hilarious so she'll keep coasting along.

Phi Phi, you know they can still...record you, right? Even if you turn your face away, they still work.

• Love 3

For me, this week should be a free pass for everyone (specially taking in count that two queens went home last week). The queens had very little say on their performance/or be creative with it . They got signed their role, had to follow a especific routine, and at the end everyone did their job, no one messed up. In other hand, the runway theme was so open to interpretation... Yes, Katya wasnt near as entertaining as we expect/usually see from her but like mentioned above, she got the hardest character to make fun of (if at least they had more freedom with the character, but to portrait Diana, theres no happiness/nothing fun to show)..

I can already see the plot next week, queens going against Alyssa for her choice, like if she eliminated the strongest one.. While Ginger had a better week, everyone must know that Katya was the biggest treat. I think Alyssa, as must of the fans, really want to see more of Katya.. Plus, probably wanted to avoid any backlash. She, herself, eliminate a fan favorite? This earlie? People would blame her for ruin the season.

Also, as far the lip sync, I love Taylor Dayne, but wrong song for a lip sync/face off like this. Once again, it was just allright.

Edited by CaioF
  • Love 2

How the hell does Ginger go from a critique that she should be a one-woman show on Broadway to being eliminated? It's like this show falls over itself to not give a big queen a chance no matter how great her talent is.

Runway presumably, but then why was Detox in the bottom last week? The judging is very inconsistent on how runway vs. challenge should be judged. 

I hate bald caps because I don't think they ever look good in person or non-edited film. They're fine for photo shoots where Photoshop can blend, but otherwise I think they always look obvious.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Marmiarmo said:

Confession...I have never been a fan of Alyssa Edwards, but I'll be damned if she isn't really growing on me.  And not just because she saved Katya, either.

I totally agree! I like AS2 Alyssa a whole lot more then I did in S5.  My ideal top 2 would now be Alyssa/Katya.  

The agreement the queens made (even pretending that there weren't obvious subjective and divisive reasons for eliminating other queens thus far) was fine for the first episode  After that, they should be taking into account not only the day's challenge, but cumulative performance on all-stars.  We all know that on the regular seasons the judges take that into account when deciding who's going home.  Katya absolutely has outshined Ginger.  I don't dislike Ginger, but honestly I don't see her as having much of anything in common with Alyssa, who is not a typical comedy queen but has her own unique style and image, and is also flawless in drag and dancing.   

• Love 6

Katya was at a disadvantage and I totally agree with Alyssa decision. Princess Di is so loved that making fun of her is hard. Also, if Katya had not cut the dress, it would not have only risked her performance, but everyone else as well. As far as the runway, she was true to her aesthetic.

and let's be honest, PhiPhi's part was a joke. The lip sync was the same 5 or so words over and over. 

My bottom? Roxxxy and Ginger with Roxxxy leaving. 

• Love 7

I have a confession.  The live lip-sync challenges are usually my least favorite.  Philosophically, the Runway was quite interesting. 

Alaska:  I half loved the Britney/Eve number.  Sometimes Alaska bores me though.  The screaming on the runway is a touch affected, no?  I am glad she was called to task for presenting a rather boring future of drag for queen with such a conceptual backstory. 

Alyssa Edwards:  An expected winner.  It helped to have a lively historic number too.   I wasn't exactly watching her lip sync as much as Pit Crew guys bulge, but between the two, it was my favorite number.  Her runway was my favorite too.  It was so much of everything.  Toddlers and Tiaras 3000, and I got it. 

Detox:  Marie Antoinette was great, and Detox delivered in a part that was a bit safe.  At least she hit it out of the park.  However I liked her Antoinette look better than the runway.  I get that gurl loves Mugler, but really ... I was getting more Phoenix Space Age boy-body than Cybernetic Woman from a George Michael video.    I yawned while others gagged.   I don't get it.  She is too referential to me to truly embody the future of anything.  Sorry 'bout it.

Ginger:  I was mildly offended that Catherine the Great's song was entirely about her horseplay legacy.  Given all she did in expanding, uniting, and modernizing Russia, I expected a bit more.  An aside, sure.  The legend was born out of exaggerating her excesses, but the whole song?  It angered some little feminist voice inside of me throughout the number.  Her runway outfit was truly awful.   She should have tried to sell the idea of the future of drag is booger/glamour toad/Divine style drag.  Mmmmmaybe she could of swayed one of them.  (If that mattered)

Katya:  It is interesting that Diana was the only contemporary(ish) woman included, but interesting for opening the dialogue in how we interpret and remember celebrities.  This should be remembered during Snatch Game.   I am roughly Katya's age and remember Diana as a reserved, quiet figure who met a tragic end, so a somber interpretation seems a little fitting.   The Diana outfit and her runway were both the absolute worst.  Seriously, her runway might be the worst in Drag Race Herstory.  At least All Stars Herstory.

Phi Phi:  It doesn't seem too fair to perform as a fictional character.  But I guess Alaska got to be Eve.  Her lipsync number was basic, but she didn't fuck it up.   I loved her runway though, it was a look.  Maybe it doesn't hold up to much scrutiny, but the initial impact was superb.  I only wish it was a little more resolved around the eyes and hairline.

Roxxxy Andrews:  Eva Peron may have had my favorite tune.  Roxxxy performed it well.  She was certainly middle of the pack.  Though her runway was not my favorite, it was a well conceptualized idea of the future of Drag in a very literal sense.  Basic.  Not actively eye searing bad though.  

I was not enthralled with the Lip Sync for Your Legacy.

It seems clear that the Queens were told their HERstoric women to prepare a costume/wig ahead of time.  Perhaps this is why the whole number, in hindsight, seems a very Euro-centric interpretation of historically important women.   This makes me all the more curious who Coco, Adore, and Tati were assigned?   My 2 AM guesses:  Cleopatra, Joan of Arc, Pocahontas.

• Love 5

Katya was at a disadvantage and I totally agree with Alyssa decision. Princess Di is so loved that making fun of her is hard. Also, if Katya had not cut the dress, it would not have only risked her performance, but everyone else as well. As far as the runway, she was true to her aesthetic.

and let's be honest, PhiPhi's part was a joke. The lip sync was the same 5 or so words over and over. 

My bottom? Roxxxy and Ginger with Roxxxy leaving. 

And Detox? Her leelu real was was way too literal for me

I don't have a problem with a "villain edit". A good villain is great. If they feel like they need it to make the show more compelling, sure. But I absolutely do feel bad for the queens who get them. I think it's ridiculous that there's so much backlash towards Phi Phi on social media right now, and I think people keep underestimating how much editing can do to change the tone of a character.

No, the editors can't literally put words in your mouth, but by changing the context they can change the meaning of your words entirely - which is essentially the same thing - and in confessionals they definitely can prompt certain responses. Other queens have already confirmed that they ASKED for Phi Phi's opinion, not that she was constantly handing out unwanted criticism. And I couldn't help but notice that whenever she was making a "bitchy" face, she was really just looking bored or aloof, and whatever she was "reacting" to was conveniently out of frame. But this is enough to convince people that she's a bitchfaced helldemon.

I see people saying "well, if she was really sweet, they couldn't make her a villain", and that argument just doesn't hold up. She'd have to be an angelic cupcake who literally never makes jokes. Thirty seconds of slight shade is more than enough to construct a bitch edit, even if she's a ray of sunshine the rest of the day. Not that I think she's a ray of sunshine - she's definitely a bit shady - but I don't think she's nearly as bad as she's being perceived. Both times that I've seen her in person, she's just come across as very real.

Phew. I just typed up a rant defending Phi Phi O'Hara. 2012 me is cringing. 

In other news, Detox slayed that runway and I'll never get over it. Apparently they only had like half an hour to prepare for this runway, and taking that into consideration, we saw some VERY ambitious looks. All of the girls deserve props.

Edited by Xazeal
  • Love 5

Thank God Katya is still around... thank you Alyssa! I think Roxxy was weaker than Katya but I am grateful to Ru who pointed out that Lady Di was the only person we all remember and she is part saint now anyway so it is very hard to send up Lady Di for a laugh.

I realise I may be in the minority but I never liked Ginger that much and so I was pleased to see her go home. I feel Roxxy should definitely be next, her runway I thought was a lot worse than Katya's.

Phi Phi is a little trouble maker but hey, we all need a little trouble maker. Personally, I love Alyssa's antics and I think everyone else was pissing themselves laughing so it looks like Phi Phi is the only one who isn't so cool with her.

• Love 5

I am still waiting for Phi Phi to use her unfortunate incarceration  story to still show the judges/audience how much she's  grown & changed.

Edited by rags

I hate those group lyp-sinc theatrical/musical numbers. Glad that's over and done with. But, boy, Alyssa! She was on point. And what a dancer. So glad she won the lip-sync for your legacy and the 10K, and then kept Katya. I was scared Detox would win it for those ass moves (or some weird Rolaskatox favoritism. Those three leave me dead cold.) and boot Katya, using the 'agreed' terms. Thank god for Alyssa.

• Love 3

It's too bad the Glamour Toad sashayed away but am glad Katya and Alyssa are still in the running. I loved the Herstory song and most of the performances to it. And it's like PhiPhi cannot help herself from attempting to sabotage others and then pouting that she's getting the villain edit. No one else there seems to be doing enough to warrant being cast as the villain so someone has to, and her actions and words are just enough for the editors to cast her in that light. Whatever, I just hope she's gone next week.

• Love 1

I hate the show things too, the music always sucks and the queens are critiqued on something they can't control, especially this one where they were assigned a part well in advance.

Alaska was great, both as eve and as the future. she cracked me up. loved the whole thing. 

phiphi sucked as helen of troy but her runway saved her. it would have been really brilliant for her to come out done up as sharon needles on the runway but i doubt she'd be able to think of that. and if she had her giant ego would not have allowed it.

detox's marie antoinette was ok. I could have done without the neon though. I was conflicted about her runway. at first I was amazed but the longer I looked at it, it started to wear thin. 

ginger as catherine the great, i agree that it was gross putting all the emphasis on the horse story. she did ok in spite of the huge dress but her runway was bad. it was a mess. the makeup was a mess and the outfit was falling apart.

alyssa was hilarious as annie and her runway was also hilarious. it reminded me of something laganja would wear. (not a compliment)

roxxxxxxxxxxxxy's eva peron was meh. she had the look down i guess but her runway was so so so basic. 

katya did the best she could with the piss poor material she was given. sheesh. and I loved her runway. it was giving me jane jetson realness. all the details were amazing. i just loved it. 

so I agree with alyssa winning but honestly i don't know who else i would have put in the top with her. maybe alaska. i emphatically did not agree with katya being in the bottom. it should have been roxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxy.

I mean overall i'm enjoying the season but the scripting is way too obvious. and phi2 and rox can go any time.

• Love 5

Detox was sure proud that, unlike Alyssa, she didn't have to change out of her runway outfit to perform, but she perhaps overlooked that having her face painted a monochromatic silver doesn't really lend itself to the facial gymnastics a queen needs for a good lip synch.

• Love 4

Not sure I understand why Princess Di was included in that line up of women.  It was very strange.

Otherwise, I did enjoy the musical.  I always enjoy them despite them being so silly.

Nice to see Alyssa crush my favorite Taylor Dane song!

• Love 3

This was a hard one for me and not just because I was co-hosting a viewing party last night. Katya is one of my favorite queens EVER, yet objectively she biffed the challenge. As has been posted, I don't get how Ginger can be told that she could do a one-woman show on Broadway (and she HAS a one-woman show that she tours with) and then be eliminated. However, this whole challenge seemed wonky. No mini-challenge. Parts randomly assigned. RuPaul interjecting that Katya is at a disadvantage because of her randomly assigned part being the only contemporary.

I think Phi Phi spelled out GIFS because she hadn't figured out how to pronounce it.

Edited by JakeyJokes
  • Love 3

Katya just mentioned on her web series on youtube that producers set her to be Maria Antonieta (they were told to be prepared for especific challenges like this) and she was prepared for that. But for me some reason they changed it last min to Princess Di.

Edited by CaioF
  • Love 3

I mean, yes, as everyone says, Di is a "you're screwed" character to be assigned. Most of the other characters had easy comedy tags -- let them eat cake! supposedly screwed horses! -- while Di has, uh, getting divorced? On top of which that character was given NO choreography, compared to the others, and lyrics with no gags in them. I thought Roxxxy did far worse, since she was actually given gags and choreography and did nothing with them, in her usual "can't perform her way out of a paper bag" way.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, CaioF said:

Katya just mentioned on her web series on youtube that producers set her to be Maria Antonieta (they were told to be prepared for especific challenges like this) and she was prepared for that. But for me some reason they changed it last min to Princess Di.

2 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

Not sure I understand why Princess Di was included in that line up of women.  It was very strange.

It seems absurdly apparent to me that they 'needed' Katya to be in the bottom two this episode for their storyline to work out, so they came up with the worst possible character for her. And they 'needed' Detox to be in top two this episode, even with that awful runway.

At this point I'm honestly hoping Detox's quasi-win this week means she's going home next week. I'm so over her. 

ETA: I've been trying to figure out why last night's outcome bothered me so much. I'm not a Detox 'hater' (I don't think I've 'disliked' any queen since Pearl), and while I love Katya I know she has some weaknesses. I think it's just that the setup was so freaking transparent, and that the gyrations they went through took away valuable quality screentime that Katya could have used to entertain us.

In other words, they forced Katya to do bad television, and the viewers lost out.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 7

To me this just seemed to be stupid luck/producer manipulation.  Of course whoever got Di was going to have a tuff time selling it and since the song/lyrics were already written out and the queens couldn't choose their own words to say the only thing they had to sell was themselves.  I like Alyssa, I really do.  BUT what I saw was Alyssa in a cowgirl outfit not Annie Oakley. 

As far as the runway goes say what you want about Phi2 but she KILLED, KILLED, SHUT DOWN that runway.  Her futuristic cosplay was everything!  In a line up of silver robots she just put everyone to shame.  I like Phi2 and I think her drag has grown in leaps and bounds.  Good job gurl!

• Love 2

I too love a good villain and Phi Phi is not disappointing this season.  If the other queens fall for Phi Phi's whispering in their ear that's on them imo.  Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!  Did they not prepare for All Stars by watching everyone's original season?  If anyone watched season 4 they would have Phi Phi's number right from the jump.   Detox sure did as she said last night she watched and gave Phi Phi loads of shit for the way she acted.  I predict Phi Phi will not try to sabotage Detox, at least not to her face.  Phi Phi's a lot of things but dumb is not one of them.  Plus Phi Phi's  hot, in or out of drag which helps.

This season should be called Alyssa Unleashed.  She is on fire!  Super prepared for every challenge (so far) and not holding anything back.  Girl learned from her season and has come back to take the crown.  Love her.

Katya sucked as Diana in every way possible except one of the judges said her lip synch was synched up.  So I guess she's trying to say she got a shitty character and that's why her performance stunk?  Not buying it.  The top tier queens can make anything entertaining.  Bob the Drag Queen as Diana?  He would have found a way to kill.  Bianca, ditto.  I remember Jinxx's Snatch Game Little Edie who was hilarious and I had absolutely no idea who that person was.  And Ben DeLaCreme as Dame Maggie was amazingly funny because Ben made her that way.  The woman's not known for being hilarious.  Katya's going down the same road she went down in her season.  Really shining in some challenges and terrible in others while all the time being a nice person and funny.  I don't think she can win unless she really ups her game.  I didn't think Alaska was all that last night either.

• Love 3

What Katya desperately needed is to tear away the wedding dress halfway through and reveal a black cocktail dress like Diana wore after the divorce to show the world how hot she was. That would have totally saved the whole thing, IMO. But there was just nothing for her to do :-/

• Love 9

And I had a laugh when Ginger said she thought Alyssa sent her home because she was such great competition

I'm still scratching my head over Ginger's comment. Ginger states she can't dance and yet she think Alyssa is threatened by her? I was yawning at the judge's comment that Ginger could have a one-woman show, no way. I just don't find anything dynamic or likable about her. I'm glad she was picked to go because I've already seen more than enough of her.

Season 5 is my favorite season and at first viewing I was really impressed by Detox. I just finished re-watching the season and after careful viewing I'm just not as impressed by her. She sort of phones it in. BUT I did find her LSFYL more compelling than Alyssa. Didn't we just see a neon Victorian outfit from Robbie? Or is this the case of the seasons overlapping (as in the Nancy Grace repeat character on Snatch Game).

Alyssa has always been one of my favorites, she is always entertaining to me. I think this thing of her repeating her self over and over (Can I get Can I get Can I get.....)seems like a new habit that is sort of annoying. I was really worried that she was going to pick Katya to go since she mentioned the person she picked has the fire in her eyes and earlier that is what she said the Ginger had. Praise the lord that Katya made the cut. 

Oooh...Katya picked Tatiana to go home.  I'll be the first to call Rolaskatyatox shenanigans! Katya's runway-always too matronly (or lipsynch) never work for me, but I love her as a person. She's definitely America's Sweetheart.

6 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

What Katya desperately needed is to tear away the wedding dress halfway through and reveal a black cocktail dress like Diana wore after the divorce to show the world how hot she was. That would have totally saved the whole thing, IMO. But there was just nothing for her to do :-/

She could have taken the train and wrapped it around her neck like it was strangling her.......  Just sayin' there were options.

5 hours ago, jellywager said:

Season 5 is my favorite season and at first viewing I was really impressed by Detox. I just finished re-watching the season and after careful viewing I'm just not as impressed by her. She sort of phones it in. BUT I did find her LSFYL more compelling than Alyssa. Didn't we just see a neon Victorian outfit from Robbie? Or is this the case of the seasons overlapping (as in the Nancy Grace repeat character on Snatch Game).

I hate the fact that it was not explained that the queens were assigned their characters ahead of time and apparently asked to prepare costumes, wigs in advance. Without that knowledge it appears that they were just handed these costumes and told to start preparing choreography which makes the judges critiques even weirder.

Robbie wore an eerily similar neon pink/yellow dress in  Season 8. 

I didn't shed a tear over Ginger leaving. I think she's talented but she's kind of boring and even she recognized her "middle of the pack-ness" There's also something about Ginger that has seemed really off this season. She happened to be on probably the worst Drag Race season in herstory and plopping her next to some much more polished and frankly more interesting queens--she didn't stand out at all. 

My queen Alyssa did not disappoint and I love that she is literally on FIRE this season. She has the IT Factor that I think some of these other queens may lack. She also is probably the only queen left on the show that lives another life outside of drag. The rest of these queens are full time drag queens. Alyssa owns and still teaches at her dance studio. She's the only queen among the pack who is in on the joke and doing this for fun--and killing it. The rest are on the road traveling, doing shows, modifying their boy bodies to look better in drag etc. It's a profession for them. 

Alyssa is still a (beautiful) boy in a dress, with an overbite who falls into fits of giggles and I think people have just fallen madly in love with her. 

While I believe Phi Phi's sob story about nearly quitting drag and having threats made toward her (drag race fans can be mean) I think she secretly loves being a bitch. She loves stirring the pot, its just honestly tired at this point.

I'm glad Alyssa went away from the plan of eliminating based on the judges critiques. Their critique of Katya didn't make any damn sense. They were judging her on a somber performance...of Lady Di? Come on! If anyone could have made that part entertaining it would have been Katya! And why was Lady Diana even apart of the bad girls of herstory anyway? I'm glad that Alyssa had some damn sense and recognized that Katya had a bad week.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, zulualpha said:

Katya sucked as Diana in every way possible except one of the judges said her lip synch was synched up.  So I guess she's trying to say she got a shitty character and that's why her performance stunk?  Not buying it.  The top tier queens can make anything entertaining.  Bob the Drag Queen as Diana?  He would have found a way to kill.  Bianca, ditto.  I remember Jinxx's Snatch Game Little Edie who was hilarious and I had absolutely no idea who that person was.  And Ben DeLaCreme as Dame Maggie was amazingly funny because Ben made her that way.  The woman's not known for being hilarious.  Katya's going down the same road she went down in her season.  Really shining in some challenges and terrible in others while all the time being a nice person and funny.  I don't think she can win unless she really ups her game.  I didn't think Alaska was all that last night either.

Here´s the difference.. Like Ru and people are pointing, Diana was a icon that most of us saw/know, that was mostly know for being a good woman that died too young on a tragic event. Other character where choosen as ´´bitch queens of the story`` for their controversial historic and for the fact that the audience didnt witness it. Also, on challenges like Snatch Game the queens have way more liberty. As far we saw, on this challenge, every queen not only got signed their role,  but also their lines, their dance routine. Now knowing that producers changed their mind on last minute, makes more sense why they gave her so little to work compared to the others.

Edited by CaioF
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, AntManBee said:

Alyssa Edwards:  An expected winner.  It helped to have a lively historic number too.   I wasn't exactly watching her lip sync as much as Pit Crew guys bulge,

Yes. Forever. I hope there will be lots of close-up G-I-F-S of Jason in this scene.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, kylies-lips said:

There's also something about Ginger that has seemed really off this season. She happened to be on probably the worst Drag Race season in herstory and plopping her next to some much more polished and frankly more interesting queens--she didn't stand out at all.

I feel like Ginger's main draw in her season was that she represented one end of a spectrum- a "real" performing drag queen who had paid dues, wasn't necessarily conventionally attractive or fishy, and puts on a show, vs. a young, inexperienced queen whose idea of drag is putting on makeup and posting selfies on instagram (an intentional generalization since I know some of them actually do more than that).

Without the "old face vs new face of drag" storyline to boost her, I'm not sure Ginger is as interesting. Here, she's among a lot of people who are just as polished, and she didn't really try for the "big girl" angle.

I don't dislike her, I just think she's playing on a more level field this time. And if it's a choice between her and Katya, I'm going to choose Katya every single time, but I love Katya unconditionally and am super jealous of people who know her personally and can hear her commentary on things more than once a week in an edited setting. I am very biased.

• Love 4

I love Katya, but I feel like with Adore, a lot of Katya's It-ness is from her talking heads, not her actual challenge performance. She's always been a bit lackluster on the runway. She's was fine on challenges in her original season, but I thought even then that Ginger typically outperformed her. I don't expect Katya to suddenly start setting the challenges on fire, especially because some of the more visual queens will still be around when the challenges shift to design/look based. My favorite Katya moments this season are from her talking heads--nothing she did in the challenges has come close to the brilliance of wanting to show us all that she's become a monster.

a young, inexperienced queen whose idea of drag is putting on makeup and posting selfies on instagram (an intentional generalization since I know some of them actually do more than that).

I find it so strange that Pearl and Violet were dragged so hard for that, when it was never even close to true in Violet's case and I think only sort of true in Pearl's case. Meanwhile, Kim Chi seemed to be so beloved, but it was really true in Kim Chi's case. There's such a strange strange alchemy in how a season goes. I will always believe the real problem with s7 was horrid challenge scripts and repetitive challenge design than any lack of talent among the cast. 

• Love 3

This may not be a spoiler, since it's just speculation about what a queen said, but it was outside of the show so I'm going to tag it.

Spoiler

In Katya's Total RuCall this week, she said "Ginger, I know, is probably furious. Maybe. I don't know, stay tuned to find out." This suggests to me that Ginger is the one who comes back, because otherwise, why would we stay tuned to see how Ginger's feeling? I know I shouldn't read too much into what Katya says because it's Katya, but I think it was a slip that Ginger is coming back for revenge.

I have the urge to say what I have to say before I go back & read the comments... so, here goes----

Wait. Whut?!?

To begin with, I was living for this LypSync for Your LE-GAH-CYyyyy because the Taylor Dayne song really took me back... yes, I'm old!

Normally, you can just follow Ru's eyes to see who will win the LypSync. Ru was all over Detox, as was I. The simple (hee!) body paint & the body-ody-ody.... It was everything!

Now, Alyssa Edwards was Giving. It. Her. All. : move to the background, then move forward for drama; multiple splits, exaggerated jaw movements, hair flips---- what more can a girl do??

But! My eyes stayed on Detox. Quiet, sexy moves in contrast to doing it full out.

So, would Ginger Minj have won if Detox won the LSFYL? I dunno. But, my 10,000 dollahs was on Detox tonight.

I re-watched the LSFYL like 20 times. They were both soo good; both perfection in their own styles. I just Love this season!

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 2