Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E23: Live Finale Results

• Start Topic

Just now, Babalooie said:

No surprise at the winner.  The biggest mystery is...what church lady did Nick steal that hat from???

Would like to see that hat, but won't see it since I deleted my scheduled recording.  No more AGT for me ever!

My sister's comment:  "Oh, Great Nicktini, grant me three wishes..."

Loved the bit with the Clairvoyants and Jon working together.  Would have been better if Paula could see! ha.  Stevie Nicks was all kinds of awesome, and looked fabulous.

No surprise at the win.  This show is still my favorite part of the summer.

Edited by SandyToes
  • Love 5

I loved Tapeface's last performance tonight and Victor Kee just was so natural as part of it. The Link in Bridge guy looked so uncomfortable. And even Brian couldn't hide his shock he was 4th.

Edited by callmebetty
  • Love 7

A couple of surprises. I have no idea how Sal made the top five. Everyone who got cut before him was a better act. Not that it matters at that point. I was just surprised. The other was BJC coming in fourth. I was expecting a Grace/BJC final. Just before Brian got cut, my thought was that he looked very calm. I don't think he expected to be eliminated that soon. 

I don't know who would go see a 12 year old girl in a Las Vegas show. That sort of show is pretty much made for The Clairvoyants. At least Grace's college education will be paid off. She's going to need it. 

• Love 7

Grace is an adorable little girl, but no way was she the best talent there!!!  I'm not surprised Sal got as far as he did as he sounded just like Frank Sinatra to me, which the older members of the show's viewers (like me) really enjoyed. Plus he had a humble and appreciative personality that I liked. Brian Justin Crum barely contained his shock when he was voted fourth place....I was shocked too! But I guess The Clairvoyants already knew they wouldn't win!  

I won't complain too much about the end results, as I've enjoyed watching AGT every summer for a few years now. The overall watching experience of this show is a great time for me and my family. We enjoy seeing all different kinds of talent that we would not see otherwise....

• Love 5

Felt like the show was light on stars for a finale (minus Stevie Nicks)...

I just don't get why the show was hell bent on pushing a Grace victory. She's maybe two years younger than Bieber when he did it, and he's the youngest artist in my recent memory to successfully break into mainstream, main market pop music (not Radio Disney)...maybe she has a glimmer of potential, but a rushed CD will flop and pretty much tank any hopes of a career.

I think for Jon, this has been an unbelievable platform to share his story like a motivational speaker. So the fact that his words meant more to him than his tricks this week...might've made the difference.

I'd be interested to check back in about five years, and see where Sofie Dossi's life has taken her. Like the Clairvoyants, I see good things in her future. It'd be cool if Tape Face could parlay his fame from AGT into a recurring bit on some type of SNL or WLIIA type show to keep the character going...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 9

Since I didn't watch the finals I'm curious whether Tape Face ever spoke?  I'm presuming no since he didn't make the Top 5 and was probably shuttled off quickly when he was eliminated.  If so, he's the first and probably the only contestant to never say a word on a talent contest. 

• Love 4

This is my first AGT and now I'm grumpy--I preferred the loser for each of the five eliminations.

I'm sure Stevie Nicks was thrilled when she arrived and found her job was passing the baton to a 12-year old.

Oh well, at least I got to see a new, fun Tapeface segment.

And that ker-Azeeee turban.

Edited by candall
  • Love 2

The clip of Howie with Malevo was tremendous!  You telling me that wasn't worth fitting in somewhere?

Simon looooved scoring his commission for Il Volo on his own show, AGT.  Horizontal integration for the win!

Clairvoyants bringing in Paula was fun.  Nice trick to bring her onstage, too.  Of course she blew it!  It was all much fun.  Jon was tremendous, too.  Each act totally belonged in the Top 3.

Tapeface similarly went out strong.  So silly.   So good.

Ameriker got a lot right this year.  They jusssst missed, if Nick is to be believed, the correct Top 2.  

Memo to Grace - do not cash out your annuity until after you are an emancipated adult.  

• Love 5

I'm an Eagles fan so I watched this show for the first time this year because I wanted to see what Jon Dorenbos could do. He will definitely have a career once he retires from the NFL. The winner?  Not so much. As others have pointed out, I can't believe anyone would pay to see that 12 year old "sing" like Rickie Lee Jones on Ambien. 

• Love 3

There's usually at least one thing worth seeing in the finale, and this time it was Tape Face's final performance. Jon Dorenbos and Viktor Kee rolling with it, and Mr. Linkin' Bridge not so much, were equally amusing.

I wonder if Grace is the single person who watched this show who honestly didn't know who the ordained winner was ahead of time, or if she was coached to behave that way. Doesn't matter I guess.

Happy end of season, everyone!

Edited by Panopticon
  • Love 6

I guess Grace can use the money for college.

But no way can she headline a Vegas show, even for 3 nights.  Wonder who they will have to bring in to fill out the however-many-hours that Vegas gig is supposed to last. Because I really don't think Grace can handle singing more than 3 songs a night without losing her voice. (And if those three songs are all the same...)

Planet Hollywood is probably scrambling right now to figure out WTH they are going to do with this 12 yo.

• Love 4

My annoyance at Grace's telegraphed win aside, I did find moments of joy in the Clairvoyants coming in second, in Nick's WTF turban, and especially in the utter disbelief on Brian's face when he went out fourth.  Mr. Humble had no doubt that he was going to be in the final two at least, you could just tell.  Hilarious.

And I wondered all season if that was Grace's real hair or a wig, and still never figured it out.  When we first saw her, I thought her background story was going to be that she was a cancer patient.

• Love 6

The singer winning is why I refrain from watching much of this show, but I did watch several episodes this year.  I am always so disappointed to see so much great other talent just go to waste because a few singers enter the competition and often get the win.  I didn't really care for any of the singers, and was really hoping for one of the talents to win.  Other than if they handle the money right, I don't see this as a good thing for Grace.  I think she is going to be overwhelmed by the attention.  I think she would have been better off in 2nd or 3rd place as she is still getting recognition online, etc, but not being the winner would have made it a little calmer for her.

• Love 3

Good luck, Grace; you seem like a nice young person.

The Clairvoyants had an unintentionally funny moment when they said "there's nothing like us in Vegas", after doing acts really well but really similar to last season, two seasons ago...and also about one act in five on "Penn and Teller:  Fool Us".  I'll take "really good" over "really original", but know your roots.

Jon and Viktor won me even more by going along with Tapeface's bit, as if that were a totally normal thing to do.  Also, it was a cool physics demonstration with an almost-random group of the now-famous.  Tapeface, if I can, I'm buying tickets to where you perform.  Congratulations on making me want to give money to a mime--no one has ever come close to doing that.

And congratulations to us all for surviving another season.  Thanks for the discussions, and have a great rest of the year!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, TaraS1 said:

and especially in the utter disbelief on Brian's face when he went out fourth.  Mr. Humble had no doubt that he was going to be in the final two at least, you could just tell.  Hilarious.

I'll have to re-watch that episode on Hulu just to see BJC's expression!

• Love 4

I'm not exactly happy with Grace winning, but I wish her the best of luck. More than likely, Simon's gonna milk her career and that "My Name" song dry quickly before throwing her to the side. At least she'll have some money for her future. Highlight of the night was definitely BJC's reaction to his elimination, I don't think he's as humble as the video packages want you to believe lol. The Clairvoyant's finishing second was a surprise. Thought Dorenbos would've edged them, they weren't exactly charismatic. 

• Love 3

I cannot believe Sal made it to fifth place. Am I missing something? Am I the only person who's first reaction every time I see him is to wish that James Gandolfini will rise from the grave to curbstomp his cheesy ass?

I immediately felt bad for Sofie when she got called up next to Grace; you could tell she knew she hadn't made it into the Top 5, which is a damn shame. But I'm really optimistic that Cirque or something will pick her up. She's got a nice career ahead of her, if there's any justice. She and Viktor should team up for a double act. I would pay to see that.

I loved Tape Face's last performance, especially as others said how Jon and Viktor just went right along with it.

A little surprised that Laura didn't make it into the Top 5, if only because America loves their overblown child opera singers. Wouldn't be surprised if she came in sixth, though.

I am surprised at The Clairvoyants not only making it into the Top 5 but being the runner-up. Not because I don't think they're good, but I really never expected them to connect with the mainstream audience; I honestly thought they'd be too out there for people. Good for them, though, for proving me wrong on that. And, hey, apparently there was less than 1% of the vote split between the Top 3, so both they and Jon almost edged Grace out. It's nice to know she didn't win by a landslide and that the other acts were real contenders.

Brian's face! Oh man was that the highlight of the evening or what? Did he not see that Friends episode where Rachel teaches Joey how to do a losing face?

And, of course, there is the winner. Disappointed but not surprised. When she introduced Stevie Nicks I had this sinking fear that they were going to duet, but at least the producers had the sense to know that no one upstages Stevie.

2 hours ago, alexa said:

The singer winning is why I refrain from watching much of this show, but I did watch several episodes this year.  I am always so disappointed to see so much great other talent just go to waste because a few singers enter the competition and often get the win.  I didn't really care for any of the singers, and was really hoping for one of the talents to win.  Other than if they handle the money right, I don't see this as a good thing for Grace.  I think she is going to be overwhelmed by the attention.  I think she would have been better off in 2nd or 3rd place as she is still getting recognition online, etc, but not being the winner would have made it a little calmer for her.

After my mom and I finished laughing at her borderline-breakdown reaction to winning (yes, we're terrible people), my mom did express a similar concern. She's so young. My mom also pointed out that her voice will probably change and she might not be marketable in a couple years. She does already speak so raspy, I can't imagine the kind of damage that affectation is going to have on her vocal chords.

And even though my mom doesn't like her, she was a little relieved she won because she was afraid of her reaction if she didn't win. Before they read the result, she said, "I hope her mother's backstage just in case."

• Love 7

My 8 year old son took one look at that turban and said "I wanna look good for the finale but I have this head injury!" He's hilarious. I think part of why I loved Grace so much was because now that I'm a mom, I see kids through proud parent eyes, if that makes sense. I love talented kids who are supported and confident. This kid writes her own music and has her own quirky style, and I've been rooting for her since the start.

Having said that, this kid has no place in a Vegas show. What the hell were they thinking? Is she gonna leave school? Move her family? Pack a theater 6 nights a week? If anything, I would think the producers would have stacked this for the clairvoyants, and not just because I have a bizarre girl crush on the chick. Their act is totally Vegas. Grace is Disney. 

• Love 6

For everyone wondering how Grace can do a Vegas show and worrying over her ability to do so, don't. It is my understanding that the Vegas portion of the win is a three night gig where she will be the top billed, but others of the final ten will also perform. It's just a big old AGT variety show for three nights. After performing in front of millions of people on TV, it's actually a step down. 

No Vegas booker in his right mind will sign her up for a long term gig. Perhaps a small one off here and there in one of the more family friendly venues. 

• Love 10

I had a feeling that that annoying little girl was going to win so I didn't bother to watch the finale.  I'm glad I didn't.

I hope Malevo and Victor Kee and Tapeface do well in their careers.  AGT gave them great exposure. 

I used to love Nick but now he's beginning to look, sound, and act like a fool.

• Love 3

I wasn't able to give my review of Tuesday night's performances and I won't since it doesn't matter anymore but I will say this that I enjoyed for the first time Sal's performance. Great job Sal!

Another AGT has ended and wow! What a surprise! Not!! Grace VanderWaal won this season and really, there wasn't any doubt who the winner was going to be, especially when BJC came in a surprise fourth. Even though I didn't like Grace, America fell in love with this cute little girl. There were much better singers and entertainers worthy of winning AGT that got eliminated, but America couldn't bare to see tears in this little girls eyes if she was sent home. When Simon Cowell told her she could be the next Taylor Swift, that was it, the contest was over. She was going to be the winner.

This season was still entertaining and fun. We got to see a man with tape on his face that made America laugh. We had Clairvoyants, opera singers, a magicians twist on Rubik's Cube. We had dancers drumming, jugglers, spinning contortionists and an Eagle doing magic. Of course we had the usually singers, many of them in the 12-16 year old group. We even had a wannabe Frank Sinatra. Now I'm hoping, hoping that the real Simon Cowell returns. Hoping that MelB decides she's had enough and quits. I'm hoping that AGT puts an age limit and operates a more honest contest. Now, I'm running out of things to write. My mind can't think of nothing else except for three little words...

until next time....

Edited by rr2911
mistake
  • Love 8

Does Vello know that Nick had been in his dressing room?

First of all, congratulations to Grace!! The curse has been lifted, the prophecy came true, all female acts can now take it easy for the next 10 years knowing it wont happen again. I don't for a moment buy into the idea that she'll "be the next Taylor Swift" or "the biggest star of our generation" as Howie said in one of his interviews, we've been told COUNTLESS times how acts like Kevin Skinner, Emily West and Neal E Boyd would be the biggest stars ever, but it will certainly be interesting to see what happens to her and if she falls off the radar like Bianca did or manages to carve a nice little career for herself like Jackie.

My heart broke when Sal and Tape Face were invited up there by Swami Salami Cannon as I knew what would happen...I would have been happy seeing him end up 5th, JUST to see him in the top 5 would have been enough as he's one of the true stand-outs this season, but it just wasn't meant to be. I think my original thoughts ring true that he was simply too divisive, if you look at the AGT facebook page there were TONS of people complaining how "this is not a talent" and "real talent got robbed" by his inclusion. He does what he does with such ease that people fail to see the nuance and creativity that it takes to come up with an act like this. It's probably a bigger, more deep seeded problem with society that comedy in general is regarded as a "lesser" art form, but that's a discussion for another time. At the end of the day though, it's clear he's already a winner and has gained a MASSIVE following that will secure him a career for a very VERY long time. After all the confetti stops pouring down and the excitement is over, he's the one people will remember. I certainly will, as one of my all time favourite acts on this series.

What made Tape Face's exclusion from the top 5 almost bearable for me was seeing how high the Calirvoyants ended up.  I've not exactly made it a secret that I loved their act and thought they were a real dark horse from the very beginning. It was good to see at least one of my predictions coming true as I was ready to say goodbye to them when they started announcing who finished 4th, but they just kept on climbing past both Brian and Jon and came THIS close to taking it all. As my favourite magic act of the season and the best mentalists to ever appear on the show, I think it was well earned and I wish them the best. They should do just fine as long as they stay far away from Paula Abdul.

Speaking of hot messes, the entire first hour and a half of the show was a complete clusterfuck. Having Sal sing with Jersey Boys fit well enough and Tape Face doing a skit with the guys was hilarious, but after that they seemingly ran out of budget and time as we got Sofi hanging from the ceiling like a christmas decoration for 5 seconds while Viktor just stood there holding a ball. I especially enjoyed Brian Justin Crum ft. Brian Justin Crum as apparently there were NO singers around who were willing to do a duet with him. Stevie Nicks must not be allowed near children unless there's a parent or an extra from Aladdin present so Grace was forced to just sing alone...and I'm not even going to go into Paula Abdul. Seriously, AGT, what the fuck?

So I guess that sums up my feelings towards yesterdays finale, a mixed bag. And "mixed" is the perfect word to describe this season with. On one had it gave us some of the most innovative and unique acts this show has ever seen (Viktor, Tape Face) and a BUNCH of others I really really enjoyed seeing throughout the season (Grace, Jon, Clairvoyants, Steven Brundage, Passing Zone, Julia Scotti...the list goes on and on) so in terms of talent this was a fairly successful season that I would rank in the better half of the bunch.

On the other hand, it's hard not see it as a bit of a step back, rather than forward. A step back into overbearing sob stories ruling the show and singers being unfairly praised. And a step away from the "everything fits" variety show image that the Howard Stern era tried to create.

I have similarly mixed feelings towards Simon. He certainly fit in with the rest of the crew VERY well and he's softened over the years making quite jovial and willing to go along with the sillier aspects of the show. At the same time, Piers and Howard both added something important to the show and acted as the "head judges", keeping both the acts and the other judges in line..and I can't think of anything that Simon added that wasn't there before.

The other judges pretty much did their usual stuff, Mel B was off the chain. Howie used to annoy me when he was letting nonsense through to the live rounds, but after he stopped doing that I'm pretty much fine with him...he works as the comedic relief and he makes even the lamest of jokes tolerable by just being himself... he's practically an institution now that he's been on this show for so long, I mean what would the poor guy even do if the show went off the air? He'd have to find a new trailer to sleep in. Heidi is the one who has probably grown on me the most over the years, while her comments are largerly useless in the live rounds she was curiously enough one of the more sensible and tough ones during the auditions. I also like how she actually seems to enjoy being on the show and taking part of the acts, from playing along with Taylor Williamson and grabbing Piff's ass to jumping into tubs full of shaving cream and having fun being juggled around by passing zone, she never looks annoyed or prissy when asked to do something, which is more than you can say for some of the other judges *coughMelBcough*. It's pretty clear from the small skits they do that the judging panel works as far as chemistry and comedy is concerned, just not as an actual vehicle for genuine judgement and criticism.

In conclusion: Pitbull sucks. It's been fun, guys, and I thank anyone who bothered to read through all the rambling nonsense I've written throughout the season. See you all next year!

• Love 11

It was great to see Grace win.  She deserved it and was the most consistently outstanding performer during the competition.  That reminded me of the emotion that an AI final created.  It was funny to see the last two being a little girl against grown ups.

Certainly the most shocking moment was Brian going out at 4.  I'm sure he had read that he could win or at least come in second.  You could see the shock on the judge's faces.  Reminded me of when Tamyra was eliminated on Idol. 

I have some comments about the voting that most of you may find interesting later tonight.

They only have a week to wrangle any celebrities who will fit with whoever is in the finals. Well, less than a week because they have to rehearse.  It's probably a matter of budget, plus whose available, plus who fits with which finalist. That's not a lot of time. Although, I agree. They have had bigger stars on in the past.

Penn and Teller have been on a number of times. They were on with the guy who "swallowed" things. In the final, you could definitely tell, by the way he was having trouble talking, that he wasn't swallowing anything. 

• Love 1

I made sure that I watched RUNNING WILD WITH BEAR GRYLLIS when Mel B was a guest star and you know what?  She was wonderful.  She did everything BG asked of her and, yes, there was a little complaining but I would have been screaming dong some of the challenges.  She was game and she did fine with a smile on her face.  It just makes me think that each judge has their appointed niches on AGT.  Having said all this, I will say that I do miss Howard and Piers because Simon almost seems cuddly now.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, marketdoctor said:

Tapeface, if I can, I'm buying tickets to where you perform.  Congratulations on making me want to give money to a mime--no one has ever come close to doing that.

I'll see you at the show!!  I hope Tapeface tours, really want to see one of his shows; how unique and humorous.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

and especially in the utter disbelief on Brian's face when he went out fourth.  Mr. Humble had no doubt that he was going to be in the final two at least, you could just tell.  Hilarious.

His reaction really left a negative mark with me.  Kinda showed a different side to him than the backstory NBC has been forcing down our throats.  I looked him up and he is an accomplished broadway actor and has a "polished" presence on social media.  Wow, very different than the sad tale of woe is me back story.  I am glad he is at least inspiring others. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

They only have a week to wrangle any celebrities who will fit with whoever is in the finals. Well, less than a week because they have to rehearse.  It's probably a matter of budget, plus whose available, plus who fits with which finalist. That's not a lot of time. Although, I agree. They have had bigger stars on in the past.

Penn and Teller have been on a number of times. They were on with the guy who "swallowed" things. In the final, you could definitely tell, by the way he was having trouble talking, that he wasn't swallowing anything. 

Yeah the time management is a BIG issue when it comes to the results show, they simply aren't capable of figuring out how to make 10 acts work with celebrity guests and maybe they should just drop the whole thing and have the acts performing small sketches with eachother (I would much rather have seen The Clairvoyants do a magic trick with Tape Face and his bag or Sofie performing with Victor than what we got in the end) with just 1 big celebrity performing with the whole group in the end, The current format just feels unfair and rushed (Sal gets to perform with Jersey Boys, yet Brian got NOBODY, Sofie only on screen for 5 seconds, Paula Abdul has NOTHING to do with magic etc).

Edited by Frankenstein123
  • Love 1

This is the first year that I watched this show and I really didn't watch the show, just the performances on YouTube.  I'm not tired of singers because this is my first year, but I really liked Kady Lynn.  I thought she had real potential with a little work.  I don't see Grace's appeal, don't like her voice or her repetitive songs or her ukulele.  I can't believe she won. I won't be watching again.

• Love 1

I don't really have strong feelings about Grace winning. It wasn't a surprise to me. I don't dislike her, I think she's got a future ahead of her once she grows up a bit. And I knew my favorites (Sofie and Viktor) weren't going to win.

I thought Tape Face's bit was hilarious. I loved the WTF look the guy from Lincoln Bridge had on his face the entire time. He kept side-eyeing like he was being punked (and he kind of was). They were all good sports and it was really entertaining.  I don't know that I'd pay to watch a full hour or so of Tape Face  but I'd love to see him as a middle act between acts in a variety show. He's highly entertaining in small bits.

So...did anyone else wonder if Nick Cannon's head has become the latest host for Voldemort and that was why he was wearing the turban? Because that was the only reasonable explanation I could come up with. 

• Love 5